Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2010, 08:25 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gerib38
Stats: 251/192.6/160
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 5/11/2009
Wine and the atkins diet

Red Wine and the Atkins Diet

Red wine has been shown to prolong life, hold back cancer and heart disease as well as provide many other health benefits. Luckily, it's the perfect complement to the Atkins, South Beach and other low carb diet plans!

You might think that grapes are full of sugar - but the entire point of fermentation is for a yeast to eat that sugar and turn it into carbon dioxide and alcohol. The whole reason the wine has alcohol is that the sugar was destroyed. While there might be trace amounts of sugar left in the resulting wine, the primary reason for a calorie count in wine is the alcohol.

Wine, or any alcohol, is not appropriate for people in the first 2 weeks of a low carb diet. Part of the first two week process is evening out your blood sugar level, and alcohol lowers blood sugar levels. While this is good in general, you want to have NO effects on your blood sugar levels during those first 2 weeks so that your body becomes stabilized.
I read this article and was wondering if any of you drink wine after induction and what kind you reccomend.

Once those first 2 weeks are done, you should feel free to have a glass or two of wine as part of a healthy diet. A glass of red wine only has about 1g of carbs in it. No wine has sugar added to it, so you really don't have to worry about finding a "low sugar red". The only wines to be cautious of are Late Harvest / Icewines - these are harvested late in the year and are not fully fermented, leaving sugar behind in the wine. These are normally white wines and are clearly labelled.

So enjoy red wine with your low carb lunch or dinner! The red wine will help enhance the flavor of your meal, it raises your good cholesterol levels to help offset any fat you're eating, it lowers chances of cancer, heart disease, strokes, ulcers, and more. Recent research shows that it helps prolong life in general. This is a drink to toast to your health with!
gerib38 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2010, 09:46 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: AngieCakes
Stats: 198/143/135-140
WOE: Atkins/Pre-Maintenance
Start Date: 1/8/2010
It's kind of funny actually. When I started induction I was working on a bottle of red I got in a Christmas basket from my neighbor. I hadn't been able to find my atkins book so I had no idea it was off limits. LOL Once I found this site though, I quickly stopped sipping from it. A half a bottle is still sitting in my fridge, I should really pour that out LOL
AngieCakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 01:35 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RobbyC
Stats: 236.4/223/199 (First goal 1-derland!)
Cheers!
RobbyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 06:13 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sfachillesgirl
Stats: 16w/12w/8-10, no W!
Start Date: 2/8/2010
This is seriously the best news I've "heard" on this entire site! I am a wine fiend and can't wait to start drinking again.

Wait, not in the alcoholic way...in the I LOVE RED WINE way :-P
sfachillesgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:05 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gerib38
Stats: 251/192.6/160
Start Date: 5/11/2009
I just dont know what kind of red wine to buy thats that low in carbs .. everything i have seen say like 20-30 a glass
gerib38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:01 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: alexandra1
Stats: (207/200/130)
Start Date: restart 07/04/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfachillesgirl View Post
This is seriously the best news I've "heard" on this entire site! I am a wine fiend and can't wait to start drinking again.

Wait, not in the alcoholic way...in the I LOVE RED WINE way :-P

Me too, but I've had 2 martinis, real not the fuffe stuff that people are calling martinis..
alexandra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:20 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thinkfastvivi
Stats: 149/140.5/120 ~5'3.5
WOE: low carb
Start Date: november 2011
Did someone say WINE??!!

I love red wine and am glad to have read your info on this...thanks for sharing! I had no idea red wine was so low in carbs! YAY!
thinkfastvivi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:29 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: travellost
Stats: 186/170/140
Start Date: 4/28/2013
I love a glass of red wine once in a while but for me a late night glass is wine spells no weight lose for at least 2 days. So it maybe ok for some but the sulfates cause me to retain water. So great for those of you who can have an occasionally glass of wine. You can raise your glass for me but until I get down closer to 140.
travellost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 04:03 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Steve Parker
Stats: 173/168/160
WOE: Low-Carb Mediterranean Diet
Start Date: September 1, 2009
I think red wines have edge over white wines in the health department. But some studies suggest judicious alcohol consumption - any type - is associated with longer lifespan. "Judicious" is no more than one glass (5 oz) daily for women, two for men, on average.

By definition, wines that aren't "dry" tend to have more sugar in them. At least that's my understanding.

-Steve
Steve Parker is offline   Reply With Quote