Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2010, 04:30 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: truth
Stats: 160/140/130 height = 5'3
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 25th, 2010
Ketosis? Week 2 induction..progressing??

I am probably over reacting, as I tend to in every other situation...but I am starting to get a little nervous about my progress. It is day 10 of induction....In the first 7 days I lost 11 pounds---woo- hoo!----

Since then, nothing. I could feel changes going on in my body as well, during the first 7 days. Now I feel normal, like before the diet. I have followed the rules, and have not gone over 20 carbs, AT ALL.

Since Im nervous, I went to cvs and got ketone test strips...it tested in the "low" range..I was so VERY dissappointed because I really havent been having carbs, and I know with as closely as I have been watching my eating, I should be high end ketosis...what is going on? I so dont want to start getting frustrated, but how do I know if this is even cycling properly....I am certain that I cant possibly reduce any carbs, cause Im not eating any!!!! I dont understand. Any comments?
truth is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2010, 08:25 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: camel?
Stats: 194/165/159
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: November 2009
Here is a link to everything you ever wanted to know about Ketosis:
Low Carb Diet Tips & Basics - Ketosis & Ketone Test Strips

Here is an exerpt:

"Will I lose weight faster if the strips show dark purple all the time?

No. Testing in the darkest purple range all the time is usually a sign of dehydration -- the urine is too concentrated. You need to drink more water to dilute it, and keep the kidneys flushed.

The liver will make ketones from body fat, the fat you EAT, and from alcohol --- the ketone strips have no way of distinguishing the source of the ketones. So, if you test every day after dinner, and dinner usually contains a lot of fat, then you may very well test for large amounts of ketones all the time. However this does not indicate that any BODY fat was burned.

The strips only indicate what's happening in the urine. Ketosis happens in the blood and body tissues. If you're showing even a small amount, then you are in ketosis, and fat-burning is taking place. Don't get hung up on the ketone sticks."
camel? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:21 AM   #3
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: 2big4mysize
Stats: 313 to current goalie 169-173
WOE: Atkins 2002
Start Date: june 1 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by truth View Post
I am probably over reacting, as I tend to in every other situation...but I am starting to get a little nervous about my progress. It is day 10 of induction....In the first 7 days I lost 11 pounds---woo- hoo!----

Since then, nothing. I could feel changes going on in my body as well, during the first 7 days. Now I feel normal, like before the diet. I have followed the rules, and have not gone over 20 carbs, AT ALL.

Since Im nervous, I went to cvs and got ketone test strips...it tested in the "low" range..I was so VERY dissappointed because I really havent been having carbs, and I know with as closely as I have been watching my eating, I should be high end ketosis...what is going on? I so dont want to start getting frustrated, but how do I know if this is even cycling properly....I am certain that I cant possibly reduce any carbs, cause Im not eating any!!!! I dont understand. Any comments?
takew a deep breath and relax you are doing fine except for that eating none part.

it is natural on any weight loss plan for their to be a hesitation in scale weight loss after the initial big loss. Atkinseers call this stage PISS. Have you been measuring? if so then you know you are still in ketosis and shedding body fat cause you are stillg etting smaller even though the scales refuse to validate your hard work.

Now ignore those stix and save yourself the hassel and emotional frustration of not being dark purple. you are in Atkins ketosis and have been or you wouldn't have lost any weight. Stix only measure the concnetration of a certain ketone body that was in excess supply when that urine was made. you can turn a cup purple stix pee into nothing stix pee just by adding a cup of water to the sample.

hopefully you are burning your ketone bodies as fuel for making energy and pulling body fat out of storage to make up the difference between your dietary intake and your actual fuel needs.

Now about that no carb statement.

Atkins induction is about eating 3 cups of acceptable veggies daily. Dr Atkins was very specific about this, we have to eat our veggies. there are many micronutriants in them that help rev up our fat burning system and keep our metabolism running full speed ahead.

Also eggs spices cheese shellfish and herbs all have carbs in them along with the healthy nutriants we are getting from them too.

Have you plugged your foods into something like ******.com the free only site? that way you can see how many carbs you are having if you are eating too much protein and if you are getting enough fats after all Atkins is a high fat plan 655 of your induction cals should be fats.

It will also let you see if you are defieicnt in any vits and/or minerals and you can supplement to make up for those missing ones.

Hang in there there is a reason Dr Atkins defined a stall as 4 full weeks of no scale nor iches losses.
2big4mysize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:25 AM   #4

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I have never seen the strips turn the way most people see and I've lost a LOT of weight on Atkins. People are just different.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote