Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2010, 09:55 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jaimmersd
Do Atkins Bars & Shakes Cause Stalls?

I am in my 11th day of induction, first week was good, lost 6 lbs. But since then I haven't lost anything and some days my weight is even up again. I have been using the bars once a day and the shake once a day as the only sweets I get (sweet tooth). Also have been eating a fair amount of bacon (love it) and eggs, just the opposite of what I've been taught is a healthy diet. My carbs are a salad with dinner and Jimmy Johns Unwich at lunch (meat wrapped in lettuce leaf with mayo and cucumber and sprouts). Haven't done this diet before and thinking about going to get the stix to check my ketosis. A few days ago I was going to the bathroom a lot and really thirsty, which I read is a sign of ketosis, but that seems to have stopped. I guess I just am trying to figure out why I am not dropping anymore weight. This diet is difficult because I get very tired of meat. Could eat all veggies for a long time. I just don't want to give up. I have tried everything in the past, to the extreme of a gastric bypass 30 yrs ago, only to weigh 300 lbs now (higher than when I had surgery) and have diabetes.

Help, as you can tell I have been on the rollecoaster with my weight and really need to lose it now for health reasons. Thanks for any input you have.
jaimmersd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2010, 11:23 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Bobbin
WOE: High fat, moderate protein, low carb
I don't know if they stall everyone, I don't think they stall me, but I try to stay away from the bars because I can't eat just one. In fact, the box is lucky to survive more than one day in my hands....
Bobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 11:30 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: junkfoodmonkey
Stats: 213/193/140
WOE: Atkins - Induction
Start Date: Original Nov 2003 Current 17 Sep 2012
The bars and shakes can cause stalls for some people, yes. Cut them out and maybe introduce them again a lot later, and not to have every day.

Bacon is great, but it is very salty, so can make you retain water. Any processed meat tends to have that issuse. Don't cut it out totally, but don't have it absolutely all the time if you're prone to water retention.

To give yourself the best chance of succes, cut out the bars and shakes and go easy on the processed meat. Stick with fresh as much as possible. Rather than buying cold cuts, maybe roast a joint or chicken and slice it up to eat cold over a few days.

If you're not a big fan of meat, maybe try more fish - make friends with your local fishmonger or guy on the fish counter at the supermarket if you don't know much about cooking fish. And since fish often isn't that fatty, keep your fats up with butter, olive oil etc.

A sweet tooth can be a problem and it can be a good idea to avoid sweet things entirely on Induction, to break the habit. Artificial sweetners can, in some people still induce insulin release which encourages laying down of fat. So be careful with them too.

Basically, build most if not all of your diet around fresh, unprocessed foods and you're giving yourself the best chance.

Good luck.

Notes to self
  • You are not a special little snowflake.
  • When you mess up - forgive yourself, learn from it and move on.
junkfoodmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 12:03 PM   #4
Big Yapper!

Gallery: CherylB
Yup! I never touch them. Those sugar alcohols are terrible, creepy little things. Eat clean and you'll do better. Avoid processed food, period.
CherylB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 05:23 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: HerBoudoir
Stats: going...going...about halfway gone
WOE: Atkins on 95% whole foods
I can't eat any kind of low carb bar/shake/chocolate and lose weight.

Although it seems impossible, if you cut out the sweet stuff, you'll get to a point rather quickly where you don't crave it anymore, then move on to not wanting it. It's a carb addiction, and the best way to beat it is to abstain ~ it really sucks for a couple days, then you get used to it.
HerBoudoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 09:53 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: baby1moretime
Stats: 244/222/200
WOE: Dairy Free Atkins
Start Date: September 2009
Hi,
I've never been able to eat any of those and lose weight, whether on induction or OWL. The ingredients contact several processed whey or soy proteins. I'm amazed the carb counts are technically as low as they are labelled. For myself, they are a no-no.
baby1moretime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:50 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RobbyC
Stats: 236.4/223/199 (First goal 1-derland!)
I had an Atkin's/EAS Carb Control shake everyday in my first week during induction and I lost 6lbs so far, so I guess they are ok for me...

Last edited by RobbyC; 01-25-2010 at 12:52 PM..
RobbyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:46 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: txchix9
Stats: 257/243/145
WOE: Atkins - Extended Induction
Start Date: 1/19/2010
me and bars/shakes just do not mix. I actually did a trial with them a year ago. i was losing 5 pounds a week easy, so the next week i introduced 3 bars and shakes a week, and I immediately stalled out and gained 2 pounds. Lovely. :-) but everyone is different. if you're seeing a difference in your loss, i suggest kicking them.
txchix9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:00 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lele999
Try taking chromium pills and l-glutamine
lele999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:55 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: travellost
Stats: 186/170/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 4/28/2013
I can do the drinks if they have no sugar alcohol but I cannot do the bars. I stall very badly until I take them out of my diet. My body treats sugar alcohol as real carbs and reacts accordingly. All the bars I know about how sugar alcohol. Once off inductance and I get a craving for chocolate. I get one square of 80% cocoa. They are not very sweet but they have helped me in the past. I still count all the carbs.
travellost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:35 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lancer1977
Stats: 297/More healthy/Very healthy
WOE: Atkins 72ish
Start Date: 9/23/2011
Personally I love the bars. I usually eat one for breakfast. They don't mess with my system personally. I did not start them till i was in OWL tho.
lancer1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 06:36 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Circuslife
Stats: 205/205/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 4 2010
During the first two weeks of induction you need to "cleanse" the body of all sugars, etc. Those bars have "hidden" junk in them that I stay away from. Try to eat "clean" by eating on fresh veggies and meats. You have to build up your intollerance to the sweet tooth and by doing that you have to cleanse your body. Stay away from those bar things, they are horrible.
Circuslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:17 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Selahgal
Stats: 237/234.5/150
WOE: Healthy LCHF
Start Date: 9.8.13
I'm on Day 18 [staying in Induction] and got the free bars with that 'kit' from the website and almost choked when I read the carb count on them!!! Fortunately I LOOKED at the carb count BEFORE eating it!! Needless to say, they're in a drawer now for maybe one day to try.

I did order the shakes and really enjoy the taste of them AND the fact that they only have ONE net carb per shake! YES! Too soon to tell if I'll stall out but I only have one every few days to make my smoothie and then only half the 'can'.

Marci

Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank Him for all he has done.
Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds all our understand.
His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:6-7

Selahgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:27 AM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: catiebopeep
Stats: HW332/Start316/Current299/Goal145
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: 1/27/2010, and again June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaimmersd View Post
I am in my 11th day of induction, first week was good, lost 6 lbs. But since then I haven't lost anything and some days my weight is even up again. I have been using the bars once a day and the shake once a day as the only sweets I get (sweet tooth).
I find that if I don't stick to 100% whole, unprocessed Low Carb foods, while on Induction I will stall. I have actually gained weight in the past from doing so Plus when I do sneak extra stuff in (Major Sugaraholic here!) I can't get rid of my craving for carbs and sugars.

So... I stick to the very basics, very very basics and only 20 g of carbs, period. That's when my body responds very very well to Induction and I get revved up and energized and now my cravings are ABSOLUTELY GONE

I made my family some banana chocolate chip bread last night and had no problem resisting, not even tempted! It would have been unheard of for me to resist any sweets a month ago.

In the beginning of Induction when I was still craving naughty non-induction foods, I heard someone say.. eat some cucumbers with a pinch of chili powder and lemon and salt.. and your cravings for sweets or carbs would disappear! It's TRUE! It's TOTALLY worked for me!

Good luck Hun!
Weigh 270 lbs. -
Weigh 250 lbs. -
Weigh 230 lbs. -
Weigh 210 lbs. -
Weigh 190 lbs. -
Weigh 170 lbs. -
Weigh 150 lbs. - (FINAL GOAL!)
catiebopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:46 PM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lynner20
Stats: 155/149/135 5'9"
WOE: Atkins/Low carb
Start Date: 1/22/2010
I love some of the bars. I had one a day during induction and was successful. All the fiber in them also helps with other issues. A good benefit (for me anyway) Good Luck Lynn
lynner20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:50 PM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lynner20
Stats: 155/149/135 5'9"
WOE: Atkins/Low carb
Start Date: 1/22/2010
Oh, by the way, I stay with the bars with no sugar alcohols!! Lots of fiber.
lynner20 is offline   Reply With Quote