Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2009, 09:54 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lillianna
Stats: 233/210/150 5'6"
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Every day!
Induction flu--any way to ease symptoms?

This is hard--I have no cravings, which is great....but I really do feel kind of like I have the flu. I know I don't--I've had induction flu enough times to know that this is it. This is Day 3 for me. I'm achey and weak. I can't wait to go home and go to bed. Is there any way to ease this symptoms? Should I take ibuprofen?
Lillianna is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2009, 05:23 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Steve Parker
Stats: 173/168/160
WOE: Low-Carb Mediterranean Diet
Start Date: September 1, 2009
I look forward to responses from others. At least now I know what to call the 2-3 days of achiness and dizziness on Days 3-4 of my very low-carb diet: Induction Flu. My symptoms were very mild - I'm sorry yours aren't.

Some will say this is when you are ridding your body of toxins. I'm skeptical about that. My theory is that you have depleted your liver and muscle glycogen stores and your body is simply adjusting to living on fat stores (fatty acids).

Could be symptoms of B vitamin deficiency. You're taking a multivitamin/multimineral supplement, right? I'm on two Centrums/day. Wonder about mineral deficiencies,too, unless it's too soon for that.

Others here will chime in soon.

-Steve

Disclaimer: All matters regarding your health require supervision by a personal physician or other appropriate health professional familiar with your current health status. Always consult your personal physician before making any dietary or exercise changes.
Disclaimer: All matters regarding your health require supervision by a personal physician or other appropriate health professional familiar with your current health status. Always consult your personal physician before making any dietary, nutritional supplement, or exercise changes.
Steve Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:34 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BillB
Stats: 450+/293/200................ A1C: 12.4--->5.2
WOE: Atkins/VLC/Alternate Day--1g Metformin twice a day
Start Date: Last restart, June 2009 at 450+
Water, aspirin, chicken broth. SF jello if you must.

It's a fairly significant change in body chemistry, especially if you are doing it the first time. I believe it can significantly change BG, BP, hydration, gut flora... It's also a big psychological change, especially if you are accustomed to easting whatever /whenever.

You can do it.

--bill
BillB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:49 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lillianna
Stats: 233/210/150 5'6"
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Every day!
Thank you for your responses. I do feel better today.... I have a slight, persistent headache and I have been sleeping very poorly at night. I have that "tired but wired" feeling. I will not give in to this. I know it will pass. I will drink more water and remember to take my multi...
Lillianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 12:02 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tril
Stats: 54 yo, 5'4", CW 135, highest adult wt 225
WOE: current: maintenance
Start Date: started controlling carbs Nov '04
There are a few things that can help... it really depends on why you're feeling icky.

Drink more water. You're losing water fast... as the glycogen stores are used up (and not replaced) the water need to hold it in storage is being released. Rehydrate.

Make sure you're getting the minerals you needs. All that urinating will disrupt your electrolyte balance. Extra calcium, magnesium, potassium and sodium... that's why something like chicken broth works.

Carb distribution... you're not getting many, so be sure to spread them out over the course of the day. Don't eat all your veggies at one sitting, in other words. 4 to 5 net grams at each meal will allow you a couple left over for snacks... and will keep your blood sugar stable.

Things should turn around by the end of the first week. One of the things that causes the fatigue is the lack of a necessary enzyme for burning ketones. We don't produce this enzyme when running on a glucose based metabolism. Make the switch to ketosis and the body will make the enzyme needed... but it takes a few days for it to catch up.

Note: Cheating during this time will only prolong your suffering.
Tril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 02:49 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LowCarbLea
Stats: 184 (highest) 148/127.8/123 - 5'5
WOE: Weight Watchers
Start Date: February 20, 2012
Drink Lots of Water - atleast 8 glasses and a vitamin wouldn't hurt either.

The first time I did atkins... I have the induction "flu" for 9 days and felt like death!!!! I talked to the people on another low carb board and that is what they told me (above)... I'm back on induction again but so far it's not like the first time... thank gawd

Good Luck!
LowCarbLea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 03:22 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MissG
Stats: 273/ 254 /170
WOE: Olivia's WOE
Start Date: Jan 6th 2014
I would think within a day or two you will feel completely different. A spike of energy and over the initial shock to your body. It sounds as if you have gone over the worst of it already.
MissG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 12:43 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: chiody
Stats: 245/153/165 6'0" Diabetic T2, No Meds 22 yrs.
WOE: LC/Paleo/IF (Maintenance) HbA1C 4.5 2011
My exact feelings the 1st week of VLC was exactly like "bonking" on the bike, when you use up your liver glycogen and the body starts to convert fat for energy. This feeling continued for quite awhile but eventually I go used to it as being the "norm."
chiody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 02:53 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: snarlycat
Stats: 212/197/150 5'7
WOE: Atkins -again
Start Date: Nov.1 2009
This is so interesting...the first time I was on Atkins I never experienced the "flu like" symptoms that are being described on here but now into Day 4, I'm feeling a bit crappy almost like when you're just coming down with a cold/flu...good to know what it is...upped my water intake and will ride it out...funny I didn't want to work out this morning but dragged myself to go..Thanks!
snarlycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:33 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rqw1968
Stats: 199 lbs/143.1 lbs/128 lbs (5' 6.5") Age: 44
WOE: Typically VLC, On hCG SubQ R1P2 since 10/4/2012
Start Date: January '09 (Restart: 7/15/2012)
Bumping for the newbies.
rqw1968 is offline   Reply With Quote