Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2009, 09:35 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EzraDuncan
Maltodextrin is sugar right?

I bought 0 carb drink mixes it has maltodextrin but when I went to look it up it says its as bad as sugar.... But there are no carbs? Is maltodextrin not a carb or are the carbs still lower than .5?
EzraDuncan is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2009, 01:50 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: junkfoodmonkey
Stats: 213/193/140
WOE: Atkins - Induction
Start Date: Original Nov 2003 Current 17 Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzraDuncan View Post
I bought 0 carb drink mixes it has maltodextrin but when I went to look it up it says its as bad as sugar.... But there are no carbs? Is maltodextrin not a carb or are the carbs still lower than .5?
I believe is it technically called a polysaccharide and it's created from starch, not from actual sugar plants. But yeah, it's basically a sugar and it's absorbed as rapidly as glucose. And it's vile! Or at least these fruit infusion teabags I got once that were sweetened with it were vile. I literally has to spit it out, it was so disgustingly sweet with a taste far more articifial than any of the actual artificial sweetners.

Dump it!
junkfoodmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 04:17 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Josuanna
Stats: 180/150/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: May 2006
Quote:
Maltodextrin breaks down to glucose in the body, but if it says 0 g Carb then it's probably too little of it to count.
Josuanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 08:25 AM   #4
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: 2big4mysize
Stats: 313 to current goalie 169-173
WOE: Atkins 2002
Start Date: june 1 2002
yep it is a natural sugar derived from potatoes rice or corn.

the food nutrtional labeling law says if a food based on the manufacturers serving size contains less then .5 grams of A CARB the label can say 0 carbs.

so watch the portion size too cause if your 12 container says 0 for 4 ounces serving then it could have almost 2 for the whole container which you might think was the serving size.
2big4mysize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 08:34 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eklektos
Stats: 152/137/119? 5' 2.5" tall 24.7 BMI
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: Feb. 02, 2009
It's often used as the "carrier" for other sweeteners, like splenda granular (and maybe the packets too--I'm not sure). I think it contributes to stalls for me, even if I'm using only a tiny amount, like one or two servings per day. If you use it and don't lose weight, consider dropping it entirely for a week or two and see if things change.
eklektos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 09:43 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EzraDuncan
Thanks!! I love you man!
EzraDuncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:48 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: johnonhongnong
Steer clear of Maltodextrin & Dextrose ingredients!

Maltodextrin is a hidden sugar. It is manufactured from corn and once ingested, your body converts it into sugar. Stay away from it. The same goes for dextrose. These ingredients are found in packets of artificial sweeteners (splenda, sweet-n-low, equal, etc), jell-o, crystal light powder stix and even in some of the new liquid "water enhancers" such as MIO. READ ALL INGREDIENT LABLES EVERYTIME AND AVOID THESE INGREDIENTS!

Quote:
johnonhongnong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:05 AM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
Labels can be deceptive. A 1/2 tsp of something can be 0.4 g carb or less and they are allowed to label it as 0 carbs. But if you use more, those 10ths of a carb can add up fast.

It's nearly impossible to avoid maltodextrin entirely (splenda packets, protein powders, etc) but I try to be mindful of them and use as little as possible.
emel is offline   Reply With Quote