Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2009, 09:04 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: COCOJ
Atkins Endulge Bars

I'm on my induction phase of the atkins diet and I was wondering if it was ok to eat the atkins endulge bar, the caramel nut chew bar? It has 2 net carbs. is it ok if I eat several of these a day during induction phase?
COCOJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2009, 09:17 AM   #2
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Truthfully, no. Don't buy into their "products" - many a fine LC starter has found themselves very stalled out using these products.

Stick as much as possible to whole foods and you'll do MUCH better. If you want to tuck one of those into purse or pocket for an EMERGENCY that is OK but don't try to make them into meal replacements!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:20 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

ok. I'm craving sweets right now what can I eat?
Old 03-02-2009, 09:34 AM   #4
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Acceptable "sweets" for induction would be SF jello, a SF popsicle, a little cream cheese mixed with some Splenda or some SF jello powder, some heavy cream whipped with Splenda - check the Allowed Foods List for induction and choose something from that.

Sometimes just a nice cup of flavored hot tea with sweetener is enough for my sweet tooth. Honestly, once you get through the first 2 weeks, your sweet tooth will pretty much have given up! Never thought that would happen to me because mine was REALLY BAD but now I hardly even think of sweets.
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:40 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

i just don't find sf jello to be a sweet as the atkins bars but i will try and get a grip on this. i didn't pack enough snacks for work today and I'm getting to hungry.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:31 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: feather319
WOE: Lower Carb Paleo
Start Date: 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by COCOJ View Post
i just don't find sf jello to be a sweet as the atkins bars but i will try and get a grip on this. i didn't pack enough snacks for work today and I'm getting to hungry.
That's because Atkins bars DO affect blood sugar as everyone has stated. To get through the day sip on tea. If you can get out for lunch, run to the grocery store pick up some splenda and unsweetened chocolate and make a bar at work in the microwave.

Tomorrow for work bring homemade bars It's really easy. Just mix a melted unsweetened baking chocolate bar with splenda or stevia and then refreeze. You can add nuts, coconut flakes, protein powder. The possibilities are limitless.

Whatever you do, wait to eat the atkins bars until after induction. The whole point of induction is to "induce" you into ketosis and get you off the sugar cravings. The first few days are sooooooo hard. Especially for sugar addicts like me. Good luck!!!
feather319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:22 PM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
no, no & no

even Dr. Atkins would not want u to eat more than 1 a day regardless of what phase u are in. It is about quality. He wants u eating real food as described in his chapter on Induction in DANDR. Please limit yourself to NO MORE THAN 1 a day. When I do buy some (not as often as i used to) I freeze them rock solid, so that it takes more time to eat one. I liked to take it to a coffee shop, so i am not tempted by donuts, scones, etc, etc, etc. Again, I beseech u to read DANDR, refer to it often, especially the chapter on Induction. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:20 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

unsweetened baking chocolate has no carbs? I can make my own chocolate like you said and have them on my induction phase?

Quote:
Originally Posted by feather319 View Post
That's because Atkins bars DO affect blood sugar as everyone has stated. To get through the day sip on tea. If you can get out for lunch, run to the grocery store pick up some splenda and unsweetened chocolate and make a bar at work in the microwave.

Tomorrow for work bring homemade bars It's really easy. Just mix a melted unsweetened baking chocolate bar with splenda or stevia and then refreeze. You can add nuts, coconut flakes, protein powder. The possibilities are limitless.

Whatever you do, wait to eat the atkins bars until after induction. The whole point of induction is to "induce" you into ketosis and get you off the sugar cravings. The first few days are sooooooo hard. Especially for sugar addicts like me. Good luck!!!
Old 03-02-2009, 06:28 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

I have read DANDR, acutally I'm on chapter 23 now. I make a lot of recipe's from linda sue's website but only the ones that are good for induction phase. is that ok? I make them but i don't really count the carbs in my serving. she has this recipe for no bake cheesecake and I made that. it has eggs, splenda, cream cheese and heavy cream in it. i usually get a small slice after dinner. my daily menu looks like this:
b= egg, sausage pattie
snack= atkins shake or atkins bar
lunch= salad with tuna fish
snack =sf jello or deviled egg
dinner= i usually make one of linda sue's recipes and have a cup of any type of vegetable
snack= no bake cream chessecake

does this sound ok? i'm actually still pretty hungry after i eat any of these meals, should i add more snacks, like pork skins? olives?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatferenghi View Post
even Dr. Atkins would not want u to eat more than 1 a day regardless of what phase u are in. It is about quality. He wants u eating real food as described in his chapter on Induction in DANDR. Please limit yourself to NO MORE THAN 1 a day. When I do buy some (not as often as i used to) I freeze them rock solid, so that it takes more time to eat one. I liked to take it to a coffee shop, so i am not tempted by donuts, scones, etc, etc, etc. Again, I beseech u to read DANDR, refer to it often, especially the chapter on Induction. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
Old 03-03-2009, 07:36 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: junkfoodmonkey
Stats: 213/193/140
WOE: Atkins - Induction
Start Date: Original Nov 2003 Current 17 Sep 2012
My advice? Simplify, especially during Induction. Forget the bars (especially the notion of eating "several" a day!) Forget the shakes. Forget the fancy recipes (if you can't precisely count the carbs per serving you'll probably underestimate.) Forget trying to make substitutes for your high-carb faves. Forget sweet things entirely!

Induction is as much about breaking old habits as it is about getting 20 carbs a day. So concentrate on meat, fish, veggies, eggs, cheese (within the limits). For example: breakfast maybe bacon and eggs, or an omelette with mushrooms and cheese. Lunch and dinner some kind of protein, meat or fish, a normal sized serving, with vegetables from the allowed list, weighed or measured to make sure you get the carb count right. Simple and easy to track the carb counts of. Snacks, maybe hard boiled eggs, cold meat, or cheese instead of sweet things.

Remember that Induction is two weeks, that's all. A measly two weeks and after that you can play with recipes as much as you like. But I firmly believe in keeping it simple and concentrating on real, unprocessed food in that two weeks.

You say you're craving sweets, but that doesn't mean you have to have sweets. The best way to get rid of cravings in the long term is to starve them. Feeding them only gets rid of them short term. They'll be back.

The more you have even sugar free sweets the more you'll keep on wanting them. It's tough until you break the habit, but once you do you'll be free. You'll also be able to taste things much better, once your tastbuds are no longer over-stimulated with sugar. So once you get to the point you're allowed to eat berries they'll taste like candy!

Good luck!

Notes to self
  • You are not a special little snowflake.
  • When you mess up - forgive yourself, learn from it and move on.
junkfoodmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:54 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

junkfoodmonkey, your right. I will start making things simple. i just got so excited to see all those good recipes I kind of went crazy
thank you
Old 03-03-2009, 12:27 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: PresidentMika
I think the dinner recipes are okay, as long as they are okay for induction. You don't have to totally cut out variety.
PresidentMika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 01:24 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

now thats what I like to hear I will finish what i made for dinner this week and at the end of the week I will weigh myself and see if it stalled me any..if so then I might try simple ideas the following week.

Thanks
Old 03-03-2009, 02:56 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luvlowcarb
Stats: 205/145/130 newJan/11 goal
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Ist Goal Apr/05=155
Nuts are out during induction so the Caramel Nut bar is not Ok. Past induction I found I didn't have a problem with an occasional one but I found Sugar-free jello with whipped cream worked much better for my sweet tooth.
luvlowcarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:11 PM   #15
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
Quote:
My advice? Simplify, especially during Induction. Forget the bars (especially the notion of eating "several" a day!) Forget the shakes. Forget the fancy recipes (if you can't precisely count the carbs per serving you'll probably underestimate.) Forget trying to make substitutes for your high-carb faves. Forget sweet things entirely!

Induction is as much about breaking old habits as it is about getting 20 carbs a day.
It's absolutely crucial to really understand this an internalize it.
peanutte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:11 PM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: KristiB123
Stats: 223/205/150
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 2/16/2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
Acceptable "sweets" for induction would be SF jello, a SF popsicle, a little cream cheese mixed with some Splenda or some SF jello powder, some heavy cream whipped with Splenda - check the Allowed Foods List for induction and choose something from that.

Sometimes just a nice cup of flavored hot tea with sweetener is enough for my sweet tooth. Honestly, once you get through the first 2 weeks, your sweet tooth will pretty much have given up! Never thought that would happen to me because mine was REALLY BAD but now I hardly even think of sweets.

She is right! I just finished my 2 wk induction yesterday and I don't crave sweets or carb at all. It just maked me ill to think of how much of that crap I used to eat and how BAD it made me feel! I fell like a new person! And I have lost 12 lbs
KristiB123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:46 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: batwing
Stats: 239/231/150
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: 2/2/2014
I would say no- I ate a ton of them the first time I LC'ed and they didn't exactly stall me but they absolutely killed my stomach.
batwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 06:53 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: em.wi
Stats: 213/187.6/138
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: 6th February 2009
i got huuuuge cravings this time around on induction, i found having a sugar free mint totally killed the craving
em.wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 06:10 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Wolfgang
Stats: 339/333/220; 6'2"
WOE: LC Vegetarian
Start Date: February 14, 2009 (Reboot Sept. 12, 2013)
Quote:
Originally Posted by COCOJ View Post
unsweetened baking chocolate has no carbs? I can make my own chocolate like you said and have them on my induction phase?
FYI... the unsweetened baking chocolate I bought for use in my homemade protein bars lists "chocolate" as the ONLY ingredient, and has 4g total carbs/2g fiber for a net carb count of 2g - for only a half of a wrapped square. 7g fat, 2g protein also.

I'd have to check whether it's technically induction "legal," but I haven't seen it on any list, and besides, the things you'd likely add to it (artificial sweeteners, nuts, whatever) are likely to rack up some carb totals fast even for OWL.

Stick to induction, do it right, fight the cravings with whole foods, fat, and protein. Try an Atkins chocolate shake if you like, but avoid the bars. Sugar alcohols are not your friend.

Previous LC: 302(2008 high) 292 286(began induction) 273 271 270 266 265 259 258 256 253 252 251 249...

Member of Boot Camp Charlie
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 02:53 PM   #20
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: m0b243
Stats: 246/219/210
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: February 2009
A lot of my sugar cravings are satisfied by drinking a Diet Rite Cola, sweetened by Splenda. Just stop at 1 per day.
m0b243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 03:09 PM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Carbonegativo
If you eat the bars you might stall, try this

Put an atkins shake in the blender with ice, 1 splenda to sweeten even more, 2 tbs heavy cream and either 1 tsp cocao or 1 tsp instant coffee...you can also whip up some heavy cream for a topping if you want....

When I am really sick of salty , savory stuff I whip up one of these thick shakes and its awesome!!

The atkins shake is 2 carbs ( the one in the container pre packaged)
splenda 1 carb per packet
and the coffee and cocao is about 1 per tsp.

so in total you should have an amazing and tasty thick shake that will satisfy your sweet tooth and keep you 100% on track!!!

Good luck!
Carbonegativo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:41 AM   #22
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: toomuchcake
bars etc

I have been on induction for 4 days, eaten a bar everyday, and lost 5 lbs. Its in their diet plan. I recommend highly watching the documentary Fathead - it exposes so much about the myths of cholesterol and animal fat etc. Our bodies are more efficient with animal fat etc than anyone will admit to that is vegan or etc. I've worked in medical clinics for over 20 years and seen people over 300lbs with normal cholesterol and thin people with high cholesterol. If you read the Atkins prinicpal, you see that you are not losing water weight like you do with other diets, but rather switching your body to fat burning - which is also demonstrated in the documentary.
Good luck everyone!! keep it up, I'm hoping to!
toomuchcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:43 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DairyQueen
Stats: 5'6" 189/141/130
WOE: Atkins induction plus wine/light beer
Start Date: restarted 3/9/12
What lcmonkey said.... As an egg is the perfect food, her (or his) advice is also perfect.
DairyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:44 PM   #24
Avy
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avy
Stats: Start 232+/Current 178.6/First Goal 150/Final 140?
WOE: Low carb lifestyle
Start Date: June 1, 2012
I saw this posted by someone on another forum once, and I make it once and a while. It's a fun LC easy treat if you want something sweet anc chocolate cake like, with hardly any calories.

1 tbsp cocoa
1 egg
1 tbsp splenda or other sweetener
1/2-1 tsp baking powder

That's it! mix really well until combined (takes a couple mins) in a ramekin... then nuke for 50 seconds in the microwave. Instant fluffy/spoungy chocolate cake. Top with a little plain greek yogurt or whipped cream. This really helped me with having a fairly low calorie and low carb treat in the evenings.

Officially down 50 lbs! Another 30 or so to my first goal, then I'll re-evaluate.

Couldn't do it without all the amazing support and motivation from this forum and all the wonderful people here.
Avy is offline   Reply With Quote