Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2009, 08:50 AM   #1351
Major LCF Poster!
 
Scotty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New England
Posts: 1,339
Gallery: Scotty
Stats: 174/160.9/140- 5' 7.5" born in 1946
WOE: Enjoying JUDDD's freedom after years of low carb
Start Date: Every day!!! JUDD start 1/13/12
Linda, you seem to be able to get it off more easily than I-good for you! I may do the FF this weekend-can't seem to do it during the week.
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2009, 11:18 AM   #1352
Junior LCF Member
 
lilrachlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 13
Gallery: lilrachlee
Stats: 140/129/109ish 5'2"
WOE: ATKINS
Start Date: March 2000
How much attention do you pay to calories? I have been back on track for 13 days and I feel so much more in control!!! My carb intake is between 18-20 each day. but since I am so short and so close to my goal should I now also pay super close attention to my calorie count? I started tracking them on *********** and it looks like I'm tracking at 1600 calories. Today I am thinking I'll be more like 1200-1300. what are your thoughts?? thanks
lilrachlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 11:19 AM   #1353
Junior LCF Member
 
lilrachlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 13
Gallery: lilrachlee
Stats: 140/129/109ish 5'2"
WOE: ATKINS
Start Date: March 2000
I haven't weighed myself yet, since I have scale phobias, but my pants feel looser.... I think...

I need to get that darn WII fit out tonte.
lilrachlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 12:42 PM   #1354
Major LCF Poster!
 
Scotty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New England
Posts: 1,339
Gallery: Scotty
Stats: 174/160.9/140- 5' 7.5" born in 1946
WOE: Enjoying JUDDD's freedom after years of low carb
Start Date: Every day!!! JUDD start 1/13/12
Lil, yes, unfortunately, when you are near goal, and especially if you are short (in my opinion) you have to pay more attention to calories. Sorry... 1200-1300 sounds pretty good though. I don't think women are supposed to go below 1200, just in general, right girls?

Last edited by Scotty; 09-10-2009 at 12:43 PM..
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 03:57 PM   #1355
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
BlueTopaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NE PA
Posts: 3,537
Gallery: BlueTopaz
Stats: 160/156/140
WOE: whatever works
Start Date: 10 years ago - Height 5' 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilrachlee View Post
How much attention do you pay to calories? I have been back on track for 13 days and I feel so much more in control!!! My carb intake is between 18-20 each day. but since I am so short and so close to my goal should I now also pay super close attention to my calorie count? I started tracking them on *********** and it looks like I'm tracking at 1600 calories. Today I am thinking I'll be more like 1200-1300. what are your thoughts?? thanks
Lil: I have found the number of calories to lose weight being soooo obsure that many websites differ in opinion. I have yet to find mine and I do alot of research.

What one websites says, another one says NO, HIGHER, YOU'LL STORE FAT!. Frustrating...and to think that the USDA says that 2,000 calories a day is industry standard. Look on the nutrition labels....it's based on a 2,000 calorie intake.

If you look on Atkins website, you'll find at least one of the monitors say that 1400 is "minimal" that any women should have; however for WHAT HEIGHT? You being short as you say, I would think that 1200 calories would be optimal. But...what do I know? I would think that me being 5'7" - I would have a higher caloric standard than you do. What do you think? At what height is Atkins basing their 1400 on?

BTW: I have read in a recent article on the net that the average women is a Size 14. Ah-hem, excuse me but when I'm a Size 14, I am over 150. So, what are they saying? Set lower standards and it doesn't matter what height you are but if you're a Size 14, it's OKAY? Live with it? I don't think so.

Just giving you my humble opinion.
__________________
Blue Topaz

Last edited by BlueTopaz; 09-10-2009 at 04:16 PM..
BlueTopaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 04:15 PM   #1356
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
BlueTopaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NE PA
Posts: 3,537
Gallery: BlueTopaz
Stats: 160/156/140
WOE: whatever works
Start Date: 10 years ago - Height 5' 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by atkinsgoddess View Post
Lil, yes, unfortunately, when you are near goal, and especially if you are short (in my opinion) you have to pay more attention to calories. Sorry... 1200-1300 sounds pretty good though. I don't think women are supposed to go below 1200, just in general, right girls?
Donna: You and DH still looking at gyms? I have a few exercises a trainer told me on Sunday when he was bored that doesn't "require" a gym. What are your trouble spots? Perhaps I can share some hints. I know exercise at our age sucks but even for the benefit of overall feeling good - it is worth it. I have gotten rid of my lower back spina bifida and knee pain. Overall, I am stronger but I have yet to lose the thighs. That requires things "other" than what the gym offers. Interesting....I know you are not thrilled about exercising and I can sympathize. I have been exercise challenged since my 30's but building muscle and having it burn when I sleep allows me not to worry about calories so much. Just gotta watch my carbs.

Annette: Safi has always been fed dry food with canned food. Since DH doesn't want me cooking the wet food, I'm trying to get the best canned food that isn't like $2.99 - she eats a can a day. I looked up the Dog Food Analysis website online and there's a few that are just protein and nutrients - no grains. So, that would save me having to supplement with Halo supplements - - - but the only thing, they subsititute the grains for "potato" which is a nightshade vegetable - not recommended for people or dogs with arthritis I may have to do a "Libra" thing and compromise for the better good. Weigh the pros against the cons. Donna: Being a Libra, does that make sense?

Annette, I really respect that dogs are your hobby. Dogs love you unconditionally and require sooo little compared to what they give us (cats too but on a different level). Apples to apples, they are more enlightened than the human race. Bless them.
BlueTopaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 04:19 PM   #1357
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
BlueTopaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NE PA
Posts: 3,537
Gallery: BlueTopaz
Stats: 160/156/140
WOE: whatever works
Start Date: 10 years ago - Height 5' 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by atkinsgoddess View Post
Linda, you seem to be able to get it off more easily than I-good for you! I may do the FF this weekend-can't seem to do it during the week.
Maybe...I do; however, I can gain weight fast as the next guy if I don't watch it. I fill up with water weight and it's only water weight that I lose. I want to lose the fat and my scale still says 34% fat. 17% for each thigh, I'm sure!
BlueTopaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 05:37 AM   #1358
Junior LCF Member
 
lilrachlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 13
Gallery: lilrachlee
Stats: 140/129/109ish 5'2"
WOE: ATKINS
Start Date: March 2000
thanks all for the feedback.

I kept my calories to 1200 yesterday and was NOT hungry at all. Its funny, since recomitting to keeping the carbs at induction levels I FEEL FAB!! I feel in control and energetic! I got rid of the low carb tortillas and the can frosting in my fridge > haha

I think I will weigh myself this weekend!!
lilrachlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 06:08 AM   #1359
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
BlueTopaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NE PA
Posts: 3,537
Gallery: BlueTopaz
Stats: 160/156/140
WOE: whatever works
Start Date: 10 years ago - Height 5' 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilrachlee View Post
thanks all for the feedback.

I kept my calories to 1200 yesterday and was NOT hungry at all. Its funny, since recomitting to keeping the carbs at induction levels I FEEL FAB!! I feel in control and energetic! I got rid of the low carb tortillas and the can frosting in my fridge > haha

I think I will weigh myself this weekend!!
I like the low carb torillas myself. Nothing like a good wrap for me (love smoked salmon w/lettuce and horseradish) but the carbs add up and then stalls happen.

Congrats that you are not hungry - that's the beauty of low carbs - at least for me. I forgot to weigh myself this morning but my jeans are looking good. I can feel my hips, thighs and tummy have less water weight.

Now if I could only up my water. It takes a conscious effort that I unconsciously disobey.

Yesterdays food journal:

B: 1/2 cup cottage cheese 4% (not hungry)
Mid Morn: 10 almonds
L: Crab stuffed mushrooms - 4, Tossed salad with broiled crab cake, Parm Pepper dressing. (could not eat all the salad)
D: Light fair - because of lunch: 3/4 cup cottage cheese, low carb bread w/1 T peanut butter

Today so far:

B: 2 cheesey baked eggs and 1 1/2 Jimmy Dean sausages.
BlueTopaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 06:31 AM   #1360
Major LCF Poster!
 
Scotty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New England
Posts: 1,339
Gallery: Scotty
Stats: 174/160.9/140- 5' 7.5" born in 1946
WOE: Enjoying JUDDD's freedom after years of low carb
Start Date: Every day!!! JUDD start 1/13/12
Linda, interesting menu for you yesterday...
Things are interfering a bit with our gym decision, but if you have any ideas for me to do at home, great!! Trouble spots?? YOu name it!! But I guess inner thighs, belly, and upper arms are the worst.

I am down a pound and a bit to 158.3. I don't consider it a whoosh, just water weight, I guess. I am so disgusted with myself that in over nine months I have a net loss of 6 pounds. I won't give up, though.
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 07:09 AM   #1361
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
BlueTopaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NE PA
Posts: 3,537
Gallery: BlueTopaz
Stats: 160/156/140
WOE: whatever works
Start Date: 10 years ago - Height 5' 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by atkinsgoddess View Post
Linda, interesting menu for you yesterday...
Things are interfering a bit with our gym decision, but if you have any ideas for me to do at home, great!! Trouble spots?? YOu name it!! But I guess inner thighs, belly, and upper arms are the worst.

I am down a pound and a bit to 158.3. I don't consider it a whoosh, just water weight, I guess. I am so disgusted with myself that in over nine months I have a net loss of 6 pounds. I won't give up, though.
1) For the thighs and arms at the same time:

* Grab (2) 10 lb weights -5 lbs if 10 is too much. Use a step platform or your stairs at home. With your weights, keep your arms at your side. With right foot on the step, lift up and stand from your left foot till both feet are on the step. Step back with your left foot. Do this 10 X - then switch legs. Repeat 3 X. 10 = 1 set so you'll do 3 sets.

* Stand with your left leg forward and your right leg back and legs spread apart till it looks like a diagnonal V between your legs. Grab heavy books (5 lbs) or medicine ball if you have it and hold books with both hands in front of you - arms straight out - centered in front of your heart. Then, pivot to the far right - no moving your legs during the turn and bring your right leg (that's behind) close to the floor (like a squat) bending both knees. Do 10x and switch leg positions - do 10x on the other leg. Repeat 3x for a set of 3.

2) Thigh Butt and Ab Burner:
Get 2 frisbees. Sit on butt on floor face up, put your feet inside the frisbees. Lift your butt and slide left foot, right foot, left food etc in front of you. Don't let your butt touch the floor. 10 foot slides = 1 rep. Do 3 sets.
For an extra burn, wrap ankle weights will you are doing this.

3) Tummy:

On a Yoga ball, sit and do a back bend, touching the floor with your fingers upside down. By the way, I have lower back issues and this felt good because my it gave me a spinal stretch. Then, with your arms crossed in front of your chest, bend forward about 5 inches - back and forth - no fast though. Slow motion gives you the best burn. Basically it is sit-ups with the ball.

4) Thighs and Arms:
Continuing with the ball, put your ball against a wall and lean your back against it with (2) 3 or 5 lbs hand weights and ROLL the ball down the wall toward the floor as far down as feels comfortable. This works your arms and thighs. This can be done without the hand weights and arms crossed in front of you for balance.

5) Inner thighs:

Frog Squats: Swat down, legs spread wide apart - they look like a V. Hands in prayer position in front of your chest, elbows out. Now, raise your hips and butt towards the ceiling and partially lift your legs from a bending position. Do this one until you are tired. I got this one off YouTube. If I'm not explaining it right, I can e-mail you the youtube video. I like this one - but I wouln't do do this in the gym -
BlueTopaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:42 AM   #1362
Junior LCF Member
 
lilrachlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 13
Gallery: lilrachlee
Stats: 140/129/109ish 5'2"
WOE: ATKINS
Start Date: March 2000
My food for yesterday:

Bfast:
Ham and cheese omelet
Black coffee

Lunch:
Bacon mixed with broccoli slaw (1 tbsp mayo)
Pepsi one

dinner:
Chicken breast seasoned with olive oil, garlic powder, salt
broccoli slaw with 1 tbsp mayo
1 tomato wheel
1tbsp ketchup
2 glass wine

dessert:
4 tbsp cool whip

Lots of water thru out the day
lilrachlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:51 AM   #1363
Major LCF Poster!
 
Scotty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New England
Posts: 1,339
Gallery: Scotty
Stats: 174/160.9/140- 5' 7.5" born in 1946
WOE: Enjoying JUDDD's freedom after years of low carb
Start Date: Every day!!! JUDD start 1/13/12
Lil, ditch the ketchup and cool whip. Low carb ketchup is pretty good-they call it low sugar or something now-and get some real heavy cream!!! This is assuming you are doing induction.

And, although I should be the last person to tell you-no wine whilst on induction...

How many calories did that add up to? Maybe you need more fat?

Linda, hard to picture some of the exercises...

Last edited by Scotty; 09-11-2009 at 08:52 AM..
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:49 AM   #1364
Junior LCF Member
 
lilrachlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 13
Gallery: lilrachlee
Stats: 140/129/109ish 5'2"
WOE: ATKINS
Start Date: March 2000
Yes I know the ketchup and coolwhip are no-no's but I am keeping my carbs within the 20-25 range. According to my calorie tracking I was at about 1138. I am not hungry or feeling deprived in any way. I usually make a SF jello mousse with heavy cream, but I didn't have that on hand so I went with the cool whip. I think my fat level is ok. since I had cheese and bacon and mayo in my meals.

I need to get my butt excercising more!!
lilrachlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:55 AM   #1365
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
BlueTopaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NE PA
Posts: 3,537
Gallery: BlueTopaz
Stats: 160/156/140
WOE: whatever works
Start Date: 10 years ago - Height 5' 7"
Donna: Yeah, I can imagine it's hard to visualize a written out exercise without pics.

Annette: Where are U? You have some catch'in up to do.
BlueTopaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 02:42 PM   #1366
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
mommy_gates's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sudbury,Canada
Posts: 3,977
Gallery: mommy_gates
Stats: 170/149.2/143 (5'6"-57 years old)
WOE: Weight Watchers/T-tapp
Start Date: November 2013
HI LINDA.....You seem to be doing great...teaching others exercise...you of all people who never enjoyed exercing..you surprise me...well good for you ...what this new program you've been on...something to do with proteins and lowering your carbs at the same time...Dr Eades????

I've been doing JUDD for the last 2 weeks...don't know if i like it yet..i find it kind of hard to eat so little on DD cause of course i gourge myself on the UD..it's a on going battle everyday it seems...but at least i'm still exercising a lot and that i do enjoy..

Good Luck on journey....keep on exercising
__________________
First day to a new me...seem to forget i'm a colon cancer survivor...every day should be lived as your last...

~~~GAETS~~~
mommy_gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 04:45 PM   #1367
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
BlueTopaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NE PA
Posts: 3,537
Gallery: BlueTopaz
Stats: 160/156/140
WOE: whatever works
Start Date: 10 years ago - Height 5' 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy_gates View Post
HI LINDA.....You seem to be doing great...teaching others exercise...you of all people who never enjoyed exercing..you surprise me...well good for you ...what this new program you've been on...something to do with proteins and lowering your carbs at the same time...Dr Eades????

I've been doing JUDD for the last 2 weeks...don't know if i like it yet..i find it kind of hard to eat so little on DD cause of course i gourge myself on the UD..it's a on going battle everyday it seems...but at least i'm still exercising a lot and that i do enjoy..

Good Luck on journey....keep on exercising
Hi Gaets!
Yeah, isn't it a hoot! Me exercising! I joined a gym on Memorial Day and have been working out 2-3 x a week. Would like to up it more times a week when my life gets back in order. My dog had major orthopedic surgery a couple of weeks ago and I've wanted to stick around her most of the time when I'm not working.

I heard about JUDD - it seems like it is designed to confuse your body so it doesn't store fat. I would imagine the down days are hard to adjust to. How many calories are you allowed on down and up days? Is it low carb on down days?

Yeah, I'm back on Protein Power Eades - 30 grams of carbs a day for a spell and then it goes up slowly. I've lost weight on it before. I tried to eat "normal" and good carbs but eventually my hunger gave out and bread is too readily available. Then when I got the news on my dog, I went just for comfort food after intially losing my appetite. So, I've got to lose this water weight I've gained and figure out my allowable amount of carbs that will give me a slow lb for lb loss. Not an easy task. I just bought their newer book on Protein Power Lifetime and an exercise book of theirs. Now, they came up with another book that's 30 days - lose the belly fat or something like that. But I'm not going to jump the wagon on that. That version doesn't allow caffeine or alcohol.

I like your avatar and thanks for checking in with me.
BlueTopaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 05:12 PM   #1368
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
mommy_gates's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sudbury,Canada
Posts: 3,977
Gallery: mommy_gates
Stats: 170/149.2/143 (5'6"-57 years old)
WOE: Weight Watchers/T-tapp
Start Date: November 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitedov1208 View Post
Hi Gaets!
Yeah, isn't it a hoot! Me exercising! I joined a gym on Memorial Day and have been working out 2-3 x a week. Would like to up it more times a week when my life gets back in order. My dog had major orthopedic surgery a couple of weeks ago and I've wanted to stick around her most of the time when I'm not working.

I heard about JUDD - it seems like it is designed to confuse your body so it doesn't store fat. I would imagine the down days are hard to adjust to. How many calories are you allowed on down and up days? Is it low carb on down days?

Yeah, I'm back on Protein Power Eades - 30 grams of carbs a day for a spell and then it goes up slowly. I've lost weight on it before. I tried to eat "normal" and good carbs but eventually my hunger gave out and bread is too readily available. Then when I got the news on my dog, I went just for comfort food after intially losing my appetite. So, I've got to lose this water weight I've gained and figure out my allowable amount of carbs that will give me a slow lb for lb loss. Not an easy task. I just bought their newer book on Protein Power Lifetime and an exercise book of theirs. Now, they came up with another book that's 30 days - lose the belly fat or something like that. But I'm not going to jump the wagon on that. That version doesn't allow caffeine or alcohol.

I like your avatar and thanks for checking in with me.
Linda...JUDD is mostly consuming 20% of your calories on your DD meaning as low as 500 calories a day...and your UD well i go crazy with hunger...and eat way to much so i gain everything back...again it's the yoyo symdrom...as for the carbs...there's no room for carbs at this point....i'm going to give it my best and from there i'll make my decision...as for low carbs..i know it's the best way...but like you i love my bread ..haven't had pasta all summer...so i miss a lot of thing that has carbs....so i'm thinking of going back to counting calories...i won't be so deprive and i'll enjoy my food more with some control...

I've learn lots through this year...and i know that proteins are very important in a diet,it keeps you full not empty like the carbs...

So eat your proteins first then your complex carbs which is your vegetables and then the carbs if there's room...it's crazy how we know it all but we still can't follow ..we are so program .......we are addicted to carbs...

Whatever route you choose...i wish you luck..and i'll keep on checking in on you...

Hope your dog is doing better

Later..

Last edited by mommy_gates; 09-11-2009 at 05:16 PM..
mommy_gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 06:49 AM   #1369
Major LCF Poster!
 
Scotty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New England
Posts: 1,339
Gallery: Scotty
Stats: 174/160.9/140- 5' 7.5" born in 1946
WOE: Enjoying JUDDD's freedom after years of low carb
Start Date: Every day!!! JUDD start 1/13/12
Down .9 to 157.4. I'll take it but I don't trust fast weight loss-not used to it!! Doing FF today and maybe tomorrow. Planning on doing some weight work...
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 09:15 AM   #1370
Senior LCF Member
 
AMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 315
Gallery: AMonkey
Stats: 158/129/125
WOE: Organic Whole Foods
Start Date: October 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by atkinsgoddess View Post
Lil, yes, unfortunately, when you are near goal, and especially if you are short (in my opinion) you have to pay more attention to calories. Sorry... 1200-1300 sounds pretty good though. I don't think women are supposed to go below 1200, just in general, right girls?
Right. Going lower than 1,200 lowers your metabolism. Your calorie intake depends upon your age, activity level and how fast you want to lose weight. The closer we are to our goal, the higher calorie level we can have. It's calories in, calories out.

And - eating zero carbs for dinner can speed up the weight loss. Our bodies product Human Growth Hormone at night - when we sleep, the less carbs at night - the more Human Growth Hormone you produce, which promotes weight loss and other good stuff.
AMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 09:27 AM   #1371
Senior LCF Member
 
AMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 315
Gallery: AMonkey
Stats: 158/129/125
WOE: Organic Whole Foods
Start Date: October 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy_gates View Post
Linda...JUDD is mostly consuming 20% of your calories on your DD meaning as low as 500 calories a day...and your UD well i go crazy with hunger...and eat way to much so i gain everything back...again it's the yoyo symdrom...as for the carbs...there's no room for carbs at this point....i'm going to give it my best and from there i'll make my decision...as for low carbs..i know it's the best way...but like you i love my bread ..haven't had pasta all summer...so i miss a lot of thing that has carbs....so i'm thinking of going back to counting calories...i won't be so deprive and i'll enjoy my food more with some control...

I've learn lots through this year...and i know that proteins are very important in a diet,it keeps you full not empty like the carbs...

So eat your proteins first then your complex carbs which is your vegetables and then the carbs if there's room...it's crazy how we know it all but we still can't follow ..we are so program .......we are addicted to carbs...

Whatever route you choose...i wish you luck..and i'll keep on checking in on you...

Hope your dog is doing better

Later..
You can confuse your body by simply taking the total calories you should consume in a week and using that total to plan a calorie count that goes up and down each day - within reason. Starving our body is never a good thing.

Eating organic, getting the processed foods, plastics and chemical toxins in our cosmetics, cleaners, etc... out of our lives will support and heal our endocrine system - which means our body can allow us to lose weight as it should. We have a lot of toxins in our world that are damaging our body's ability to function properly.

Annette

Annette
__________________
Annette
"You want to get healthy? All you have to do is exercise, eat right & shut up & listen to me!" Jillian Michaels
AMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 05:33 AM   #1372
Major LCF Poster!
 
Scotty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New England
Posts: 1,339
Gallery: Scotty
Stats: 174/160.9/140- 5' 7.5" born in 1946
WOE: Enjoying JUDDD's freedom after years of low carb
Start Date: Every day!!! JUDD start 1/13/12
I lost another 1.4 pounds ! I can't believe it! I lost 4 pounds this week, which I can't ever remember doing-now I am back to where I was 9/3-

going to to the ff again today, but maybe up to 1200-felt a bit hungry yesterday.

We are looking to downsize from our 3600 sq ft. house and are looking in the area for 55+ place. Not that many that are within our price range, which hasn't been all that affected by the downturn, especially 55+ places, although we saw some yest. that we liked. Going to open houses today for single family and condos. We have moved at least 10 times in our marriage and have owned 5 houses....
__________________
"Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death." Auntie Mame

"If you're afraid of butter, add a little cream" Julia Child
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 07:15 AM   #1373
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
BlueTopaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NE PA
Posts: 3,537
Gallery: BlueTopaz
Stats: 160/156/140
WOE: whatever works
Start Date: 10 years ago - Height 5' 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by atkinsgoddess View Post
I lost another 1.4 pounds ! I can't believe it! I lost 4 pounds this week, which I can't ever remember doing-now I am back to where I was 9/3-

going to to the ff again today, but maybe up to 1200-felt a bit hungry yesterday.

We are looking to downsize from our 3600 sq ft. house and are looking in the area for 55+ place. Not that many that are within our price range, which hasn't been all that affected by the downturn, especially 55+ places, although we saw some yest. that we liked. Going to open houses today for single family and condos. We have moved at least 10 times in our marriage and have owned 5 houses....
Now that our daughter is out of the house, our house seems huge. DH and I would like to get a retirement house down South and also buy a condo in Dominican Republic. DD doesn't like us talking that - she would be amissed a babysitter but she moved out with no problems to start her own life and is not looking back. Why should we stop what we want to do when we get old and gray? Sounds selfish but we devoted 22 yrs of our marriage to her and now it's our turn.

I had a dinner party last night and made a great Eye Round Beef Roast - Milanese (Italian Roast Beef) - had mashed potatoes for them and made Cheedar Faux Potatoes (cauliflower) for me, fresh string beans, carrots and candied sweet potatoes. The guest loved the beef and ate 2 helpings of the cauliflower. They brought homemade-family secret cheese cake which I
had a healthy portion and later that night I made popcorn. I ate salads all week for lunch and low carbs so I decided not to be prudish last night.
However, today is the PA Renaissance Faire and I'm going. The only thing low carb is their Smoked Turkey thighs - which I hate. I hate anything that tastes like a bad cut ham with fat. So, I probably will indulge in other stuff and get back on plan tomorrow. I'm glad I'm not shooting for Atkins Induction or else I would have failed the 1st week already! Right now I"m loosely watching my carbs and trying to stick to 30 grams a day or less per Protein Power.

While the guys watched that car racing last night, I rented a movie called My Dog Marley (a pick of the guest). It was a comedy but when it came to the part of showing the dog euthanized - I lost it. Turned it off. Too close to home and seeing their dog grow old and lying around reminded me of Safi right after the operation. She's young yet but getting problems so soon. Hate to think that she could ever get worse.

Much to my surprise, the scale showed me down 3 lbs since yesterday. From 144 to 141. Weird. All I seem to do is shift WATER WEIGHT.

Annette: I believe in organic food; however, when I bought it, ate it, and ate carbs - I gained weight - 7 lbs in 3-4 weeks (water). Besides, it is hard to buy organic meat here. There is 1 brand but it's tiny portions of chicken and beef for the same amount of money as regular. I use a veggie wash on my veggies and fruits now because buying organic fruits and veggies makes it spoil 3x faster. A total waste of money to be throwing out food every week. I don't want to grocery shop more than 1x a week. If and when more manufacturers make organic meats - I will buy it because I think the antibiotics in the meats are contributing to us getting large. Notice how the younger generation of girls and bustier than we were at their age, not to mention their tummys are bigger. Something happened to our meat food supply over the last 25 yrs and it's affecting the masses.

Well, getting ready to go to the Faire!

Have a great one girl-e- O's!
BlueTopaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 08:11 AM   #1374
Major LCF Poster!
 
Scotty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New England
Posts: 1,339
Gallery: Scotty
Stats: 174/160.9/140- 5' 7.5" born in 1946
WOE: Enjoying JUDDD's freedom after years of low carb
Start Date: Every day!!! JUDD start 1/13/12
Quote:
DD doesn't like us talking that - she would be amissed a babysitter but she moved out with no problems to start her own life and is not looking back. Why should we stop what we want to do when we get old and gray? Sounds selfish but we devoted 22 yrs of our marriage to her and now it's our turn.
You are absolutely right!! I couldn't agree more. Not being close to the someday grandchildren is difficult, but I'm sure they'd love to visit the DR. We have talked about St. Croix and ours say they would be visiting often...

Quote:
Much to my surprise, the scale showed me down 3 lbs since yesterday. From 144 to 141.
and I lose a pound by fasting.... well, good for you, anyway...

I've never had good luck with eye round being tender. It is a very lean cut, and one my mother used to roast, but even when very rare, a bit tough, to me, anyway. How did you cook it? Dinner sounded yummy.
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 11:49 AM   #1375
Senior LCF Member
 
AMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 315
Gallery: AMonkey
Stats: 158/129/125
WOE: Organic Whole Foods
Start Date: October 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by atkinsgoddess View Post
I lost another 1.4 pounds ! I can't believe it! I lost 4 pounds this week, which I can't ever remember doing-now I am back to where I was 9/3-

going to to the ff again today, but maybe up to 1200-felt a bit hungry yesterday.

We are looking to downsize from our 3600 sq ft. house and are looking in the area for 55+ place. Not that many that are within our price range, which hasn't been all that affected by the downturn, especially 55+ places, although we saw some yest. that we liked. Going to open houses today for single family and condos. We have moved at least 10 times in our marriage and have owned 5 houses....
Good going on the weight loss! Wow! 3,600 sq. ft. that's a big house. We have a 1,900 and I do wish we had more size when company comes over. But my husband likes the smaller size. We raised the kids in a 1,000 sq. ft. with one bathroom - that was no fun.

Annette
AMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 12:03 PM   #1376
Senior LCF Member
 
AMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 315
Gallery: AMonkey
Stats: 158/129/125
WOE: Organic Whole Foods
Start Date: October 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitedov1208 View Post
Now that our daughter is out of the house, our house seems huge. DH and I would like to get a retirement house down South and also buy a condo in Dominican Republic. DD doesn't like us talking that - she would be amissed a babysitter but she moved out with no problems to start her own life and is not looking back. Why should we stop what we want to do when we get old and gray? Sounds selfish but we devoted 22 yrs of our marriage to her and now it's our turn.

I had a dinner party last night and made a great Eye Round Beef Roast - Milanese (Italian Roast Beef) - had mashed potatoes for them and made Cheedar Faux Potatoes (cauliflower) for me, fresh string beans, carrots and candied sweet potatoes. The guest loved the beef and ate 2 helpings of the cauliflower. They brought homemade-family secret cheese cake which I
had a healthy portion and later that night I made popcorn. I ate salads all week for lunch and low carbs so I decided not to be prudish last night.
However, today is the PA Renaissance Faire and I'm going. The only thing low carb is their Smoked Turkey thighs - which I hate. I hate anything that tastes like a bad cut ham with fat. So, I probably will indulge in other stuff and get back on plan tomorrow. I'm glad I'm not shooting for Atkins Induction or else I would have failed the 1st week already! Right now I"m loosely watching my carbs and trying to stick to 30 grams a day or less per Protein Power.

While the guys watched that car racing last night, I rented a movie called My Dog Marley (a pick of the guest). It was a comedy but when it came to the part of showing the dog euthanized - I lost it. Turned it off. Too close to home and seeing their dog grow old and lying around reminded me of Safi right after the operation. She's young yet but getting problems so soon. Hate to think that she could ever get worse.

Much to my surprise, the scale showed me down 3 lbs since yesterday. From 144 to 141. Weird. All I seem to do is shift WATER WEIGHT.

Annette: I believe in organic food; however, when I bought it, ate it, and ate carbs - I gained weight - 7 lbs in 3-4 weeks (water). Besides, it is hard to buy organic meat here. There is 1 brand but it's tiny portions of chicken and beef for the same amount of money as regular. I use a veggie wash on my veggies and fruits now because buying organic fruits and veggies makes it spoil 3x faster. A total waste of money to be throwing out food every week. I don't want to grocery shop more than 1x a week. If and when more manufacturers make organic meats - I will buy it because I think the antibiotics in the meats are contributing to us getting large. Notice how the younger generation of girls and bustier than we were at their age, not to mention their tummys are bigger. Something happened to our meat food supply over the last 25 yrs and it's affecting the masses.

Well, getting ready to go to the Faire!

Have a great one girl-e- O's!
I am fortunate in that we have several health food groceries in the area. Trader Joe's offers organic at the same price as non organic. Their meat supply is limited, but the chicken prices are pretty good. I'm going to check into buying online for the beef. I'm not a cook like you, so I eat pretty simply (Peanut Butter on sprouted bread is a staple).

On a good note - the couple who owned Marley in real life brought another retriever into their lives. This one was great in the house, but ate their chickens and was uncontrollable "hunter." Cesar Milan and a local retriever trainer were brought into their lives and the dog is doing great.

Annette
AMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 08:07 PM   #1377
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
BlueTopaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NE PA
Posts: 3,537
Gallery: BlueTopaz
Stats: 160/156/140
WOE: whatever works
Start Date: 10 years ago - Height 5' 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by atkinsgoddess View Post
You are absolutely right!! I couldn't agree more. Not being close to the someday grandchildren is difficult, but I'm sure they'd love to visit the DR. We have talked about St. Croix and ours say they would be visiting often...

and I lose a pound by fasting.... well, good for you, anyway...

I've never had good luck with eye round being tender. It is a very lean cut, and one my mother used to roast, but even when very rare, a bit tough, to me, anyway. How did you cook it? Dinner sounded yummy.
Thanks for the support, Donna.

Roast Beef Milanese:
I cooked it in the crockpot - that's the trick. First I seared the beef in olive oil; put it in the crockpot.

Then, I sauteed the finely chopped onion, carrots, celery in the olive oil- beef fat just until soft. Put the veggies in crockpot with beef.

Added 1/4 cup of low carb catshup and 4 cups of beef broth, sprinkled oregano, garlic (just a hair of it-lol) marjoram, savory and basil (dried McCormicks) on the beef and broth and veggies. Add large chunks of carrots, celery onion if you want. Cooked it on low for 8 hrs. Then took the meat out, sliced it and put it in the 300 oven to keep warm while I made the gravy.

Gravy: Is the BEST! Strain finely chopped veggies over a sauce pan - throw out the veggies. With the strained veg/beef broth, cook till slow boil and add a 1/4 cup flour mixed in cup with water and stir in broth to thicken. I temper the flour/water mixture 1st with a couple of tablespoons of the hot broth then add the flour mixture slowly - bring up to a rolling boil, stirring. This prevents lumps. If needed add another tablespoon of flour/water mixture to thicken more.

The lady must have poured gravy 3-4 times and commented that she never eats gravy but this is too good and addicting. So that's the recipe. A crockpot can make shoe leather tender!

Annette: Anyone CAN cook and you should not be afraid to try and flop. I have had many things flop until I got it right. My mom and dad cooked together on weekends and had me join in. I wanted to and it was a family affair. My dad was Polish and taught my mom polish dishes and was raised in an Italian neighborhood and learned to make homemade raviolis. I loved helping to cook. My dad was a better cook and my mom was a great baker.


Did you get to cook as a child, Donna and Annette? I know many a women that don't cook and I wonder why. Of course, I am always curious about all sorts of minor things. But....lately, my husband attitude about food smell has put cold water on my enthusiasm.

I went to the Renaissance Faire - beautiful day - and saw a stage hypnosis show as I tend to want to see every year there. Amazing...once I asked one of the hypnotized people when the show was over if it was REAL and she was with her family and exclaimed YES! I bought their DVD today and also his DVD on WEIGHT LOSS. Just curious to see if it works.

Two people in my life tried to hypnotize me and it didn't work. But, wouldn't it be neat if I could hypotize my husband into thinking garlic smelled like cookies?
BlueTopaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 04:51 AM   #1378
Major LCF Poster!
 
Scotty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New England
Posts: 1,339
Gallery: Scotty
Stats: 174/160.9/140- 5' 7.5" born in 1946
WOE: Enjoying JUDDD's freedom after years of low carb
Start Date: Every day!!! JUDD start 1/13/12
Linda, we always roasted the eye, and I had thought as a very lean cut it wouldn't work as a potroast, which is essentially is in the CP. I may try it sometime.

I don't know that I cooked as such much as a child, but I did watch my mother, who was a good, plain Yankkee cook-her potroast, stew, soup and pie were legendary, not to mention her applesauce and roasted potatoes-,and when I got married really got into it-bought Julia, the Time LIfe Series of Cooking of the World. I've tried everything from pate to Peking Duck.

Up .5 over night... not sure why-
cals 1101
fat 76%
carbs 5%
protein 20%
Ended the day with a greasy hamburger (in Atkins that's a good thing ) and a slice of garden tomato, but other than that it was the FF.....oh, well.

No booze for over a week, and I'm sure that that is making a difference, BUT I have a REd Hat overnight get together at the lake this weekend....

I' never really been able to be hyp. but once when seeing the Amazing Kreskin-remember him?-he suggested that the group on stage become something, and I became a willow...I felt wide awake but still wanted to be a willow...

Last edited by Scotty; 09-14-2009 at 04:53 AM..
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:21 AM   #1379
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
BlueTopaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NE PA
Posts: 3,537
Gallery: BlueTopaz
Stats: 160/156/140
WOE: whatever works
Start Date: 10 years ago - Height 5' 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by atkinsgoddess View Post
Linda, we always roasted the eye, and I had thought as a very lean cut it wouldn't work as a potroast, which is essentially is in the CP. I may try it sometime.

I don't know that I cooked as such much as a child, but I did watch my mother, who was a good, plain Yankkee cook-her potroast, stew, soup and pie were legendary, not to mention her applesauce and roasted potatoes-,and when I got married really got into it-bought Julia, the Time LIfe Series of Cooking of the World. I've tried everything from pate to Peking Duck.

Up .5 over night... not sure why-
cals 1101
fat 76%
carbs 5%
protein 20%
Ended the day with a greasy hamburger (in Atkins that's a good thing ) and a slice of garden tomato, but other than that it was the FF.....oh, well.

No booze for over a week, and I'm sure that that is making a difference, BUT I have a REd Hat overnight get together at the lake this weekend....

I' never really been able to be hyp. but once when seeing the Amazing Kreskin-remember him?-he suggested that the group on stage become something, and I became a willow...I felt wide awake but still wanted to be a willow...
Donna, were you in the studio audience?

No, my recipe isn't a pot roast but just as good, if not better. DH doesn't like fatty meat so I could never make a chuck roast. He is a fussy one and he admits that.

I didn't weight myself this morning as I took magnesium and it didn't take hold till after I was dressed for work. Remember the time that after the magnesium kicked in I lost 3 lbs in 5 mins?

Your food percentage stats look good so I'm not sure you are up .5 lb. How many grams of protein does that equate to? According to Protein Power I think you and I need to eat 63 grams a day to maintain and lose weight.

There doesn't seem to be rhyme or reason sometimes why we gain or lose which is why it makes it hard to know what to eat and for us to stick to any plan. It feels like we don't have control of our weight and it'll do just what it wants to at any given moment.

My dinner party night - I thought with the candied yam, piece of dove chocolate, large cheesecake slice, 4 cups of popcorn, I was expecting a gain but it was a loss. But...I had alot of protein that day and the week leading up to it, I had a salad w/meat every day for lunch. I still had my adult drinks that week too and only went to the gym 1x that week. So, I dunno... maybe the protein amounts are the key?

Then you have my husband who eats carbs galore, doesn't exercise, is a blood type O but doesn't eat that much protein compared to potato chips and baked goods but looks like a Slim Jim. He is taller than his mom and dad, thinner too but somewhere along the line of genetics, he takes after an ancestor of his and he is 1 of the 5% of the population has thin genes.

My mom was a rotund PA Dutch German - 5'5" who battled her weight and was an apple type (belly fat) , my dad 5'11" - thin man until he hit his 50's then a tummy came on. He didn't watch his weight, had a hardy appetite, loved baked goods, candy, Blood type O- (like me). My mom always said my dad had sexy legs for a man. I fell somewhere between them. Ironically, my dad ate like a blood type O - loved his steak and salads and could skip potatoes or any starch. If it weren't for his sweet tooth, he would have stayed slim till he died. I, don't eat alot of sweets, but that doesn't seem to matter.

Boy, am I rambling on this morning! I'll take a breath now.
BlueTopaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:19 AM   #1380
Major LCF Poster!
 
Scotty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New England
Posts: 1,339
Gallery: Scotty
Stats: 174/160.9/140- 5' 7.5" born in 1946
WOE: Enjoying JUDDD's freedom after years of low carb
Start Date: Every day!!! JUDD start 1/13/12
Linda, I was in the audience and was asked to come up to the stage.

Wondering about the roast-to me, anything in the CP is basically pot roasted-in other words, slowly cooked, and of course there's the liquid. By roasted I mean cooked with dry heat. Was the roast medium rare (or however you like it)?

My mother was my height (to begin with-whe she died she was about 5'4") with my build except big boobs...she lived to 90. My father was around the same height and a bit stocky. He died of his second heart attack at age 50. Genetics....

My protein was only about 49 grams, BUT that was cuz I was doing the FF. Usually I am over 100. I was just surprised that even though I stayed with the high fat and low cals, I gained. I had two glasses of diet ginger ale and some diet jello. Still it is a net of 4.1 pounds since last Tuesday, so I'll take it, although I think some of that was water weight gain to begin with. Hoping to get below 155 before the weekend. Any tips girls?

Last edited by Scotty; 09-14-2009 at 07:20 AM..
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:08 AM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.