Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2009, 05:25 AM   #1321
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BlueTopaz
Stats: 160/156/140
WOE: whatever works
Start Date: 10 years ago - Height 5' 7"
Yeah, girls...our twilight years are to cushion us (literally) for protection for the sunset years. The depletion of estrogen, testosterone, progresterone is the catalyst for all this. Notice how women who are overweight most of their lives, when they get very old and sickly, they lose alot of weight and muscle? If they didn't have it to begin with, they would be skins and bone and some are even though they had it before the maladies.

Consistency with diet and exercise is a given if we want to see change.

I went to the gym last night and pushed the leg weights to 130 lbs. Could only do 2 sets of 15 but I did it to "failure" and I could really feel the burn. I believe this is the way to go for me. Got to build those muscles and empty the fat cells out. The muscle definition will overright the fatty tissue. Of course cardio has to be incorporated to burn as well.

Before and after the gym, I checked out 2 pet stores for some of the high quality brands that don't have wheat, corn, meat-by products and lots of veggies, human quality meat, glucosomine and omega 3 (for her joints and arthritis). The book I read "The Whole Food Diet for Dogs" which tells you healthy home made recipes and to add this supplement and that supplement. It's a bit overwelming and I know when my husband feeds her in the evening, he won't be playing chemist with the supplements. Plus, these days, I am lucky to cook 3 times a week for my husband and I. The author formulated her own commercial dog food for those that don't have time to cook - called Halos. The dry food is about $50 for 30 lbs - not too bad but the canned food "Spots Stew" is $3.99 a can! A bit high in price since I have to feed Safi a can a day with 2 cups of dry. So, I think I'll compromise and just keep a few cans around but mainly cook some meat, veggies and add some of my Omega 3 fish oil capsules in it. Chicken and tough cut beef is inexpensive here so I'll attemp to crock pot it every Sunday and freeze it for the following week if time allows.

She is already taking a glucosomine supplement for dogs - Chrondo-Flex II. Halo's dry food has supplement also in it. I fed her this morning the Halos dry and 1/2 can - she ate it all up. She is not a fussy eater luckily and the canned Spot's stew smelled like the home-made version I made last week.

Core brand makes a no-grain protein, veg, fruit with nutrients too and it costs about the same. They also have canned food that's about $2.75 a can. Dick VanPatten's Natural Balance looks heathy from what I've read on the nutritional label so there are options- they made a no-grain version as well. All are expensive but after investing about $4,000.00 in Safi, I want to at least try to feed her the best to make her healthier. I even bought her healthy snacks - no grains last night.

I thought my DH would have a fit when I came home with all this stuff but I stated my case and he didn't say anything - yahhhh! I can agrue like a lawyer sometimes

Safi will probably end up eating better than us at the end of the day.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2009, 07:08 AM   #1322
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Scotty
Stats: 174/160.9/140- 5' 7.5" born in 1946
WOE: Enjoying JUDDD's freedom after years of low carb
Start Date: Every day!!! JUDD start 1/13/12
Hello, out there....
Hope all is well with both of you, Annette and Linda. Linda, I'm sure you are busy cooking gourmet meals for Safi

Day 5 of clean living. I am eating the herb rubbed, slow roasted pork shoulder I cooked the other night. 8oz at a time I've been roasting cauliflower in the fat that rose to the top of the juices. OMG is it good! So it's not exactly perfect induction (but no cauli tonight)

cals for the past 4 days: 1081,995, (FF) 1341,1493, and 3% carbs each day. Funny how the carbs add up on the FF days.

"If you're afraid of butter, add a little cream" Julia Child
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:46 PM   #1323
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AMonkey
Stats: 158/129/125
WOE: Organic Whole Foods
Start Date: October 2008
We just got back from California and don't have to be back to work until Tuesday. I gave in to my weaker side and had some fries, but other than that I ate pretty well.

My daughter works at a very nice health food store. She suggested I buy a specific brand of probiotics and try Kambucha tea (fermented mushroom with organisms added (priobiotics). The tea is awesome - but turned out to be too acidic for me.

I'm going through the cupboards tomorrow and throwing out everything that I can't or shouldn't eat. So far, changing my diet has really improved my health.

I started giving the girls Organix wet food a few weeks ago. It's a Castor and Pollux product. It has brown rice, which helps my dogs' digestion. I mix it in with their dry food once a day. Their snacks are great too. I have two boxes, one peanut butter and the other chicken.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:57 AM   #1324
Major LCF Poster!

"i'll have the alfalfa sprouts and, uh, mashed yeast"..... (woody allen)

I"m trying to convince the young woman in my office-she has lots of allergies and asthma-to do low carb, but she has been brain washed by the "balanced" thing. She is trying to cut down her sugar intake, and has replace cookies and candies by peaches, beens, dates and rice cakes. I tell her sugar is sugar but she doesn't hear me. Wish I had the ability to explain things, like Linda.

Fourth day of clean living and down 1/2 pound. Others would be mad (I would be too, expect this is the way it is for me, so down is better than up)-156.1.
Old 09-03-2009, 04:30 AM   #1325
Major LCF Poster!

Couldn't edit-
also, she is hypoglycemic, so I guess that changes things. She says, "well the fruit is at least good sugar....."
Old 09-03-2009, 05:13 AM   #1326
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lilrachlee
Stats: 140/129/109ish 5'2"
WOE: ATKINS
Start Date: March 2000
Hi All- Here I am again. I have been on Atkins since March of 2000, but as of late have been eating waaaay too much cheese and adding BAD carbs to my diet (IE: chinese eggrolls. haha) I restarted induction on Sunday and have a new resolve to get back on track and back to my thinner self!!! Love reading all the posts and find great inspiratiion to stick to it!

Rach
lilrachlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 08:26 AM   #1327
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilrachlee View Post
Hi All- Here I am again. I have been on Atkins since March of 2000, but as of late have been eating waaaay too much cheese and adding BAD carbs to my diet (IE: chinese eggrolls. haha) I restarted induction on Sunday and have a new resolve to get back on track and back to my thinner self!!! Love reading all the posts and find great inspiratiion to stick to it!

Rach
First of all, Welcome. Second, do you currently weigh 129? That's a great weight for your height. But as I'm at the same weight now, I can understand wanting to lose a few more pounds. Personally, I wouldn't look healthy at 109 unless I was a marathon runner (lean - lean muscle).
Annette
AMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:38 AM   #1328
Junior LCF Member

thanks for the welcome!!! glad to be back.

Yes 129 is what i weighed at the Dr's office last week. I assume I am still the same as I don't have a scale, since I get obsessed with weighing myself.

I really want to lose the 10 I gained back and the 109 would be the ultimate. I have a small frame.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:54 PM   #1329
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atkinsgoddess View Post
"i'll have the alfalfa sprouts and, uh, mashed yeast"..... (woody allen)

I"m trying to convince the young woman in my office-she has lots of allergies and asthma-to do low carb, but she has been brain washed by the "balanced" thing. She is trying to cut down her sugar intake, and has replace cookies and candies by peaches, beens, dates and rice cakes. I tell her sugar is sugar but she doesn't hear me. Wish I had the ability to explain things, like Linda.

Fourth day of clean living and down 1/2 pound. Others would be mad (I would be too, expect this is the way it is for me, so down is better than up)-156.1.

Alfalfa sprouts and mashed yeast - bleh! I'd rather eat garden grass.

I explain things but very few listen anyway....

4th day of clean eating - at least you didn't gain. More consistency, Donna and you'll lose more!

Annette - congrats on your weight loss! Now what is your routine foods that are non-acidic that have made the difference?

Welcome Lil to our little spot on the boards. Post often as it gets boring talking to yourself as it happens sometimes.
BlueTopaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 03:03 PM   #1330
Major LCF Poster!

Linda, by consistency do you mean actually sticking to it for, oh, two weeks?
Old 09-03-2009, 09:49 PM   #1331
Senior LCF Member

I am still finding my way. No coffee, tea, mayo, vinegar product, soy, to name a few of the items I can't eat. And no processed foods. Vitamins are a problem - but that will be the last thing I try to eliminate. I'm starting to get the hang of figuring out what I can tolerate and what causes pain. Although I don't quite know what the time lapse between ingestion and pain. Somewhere along the line I think it's gut instinct that will help me differentiate between safe and acidic food/drink.

I finally worked out with a Jillian Michaels' tape today in addition to a nice hour walk with the dogs. And I restarted my food log - which is indispensable for losing weight - in my opinion.

How's everyone else doing?

Annette
Old 09-04-2009, 03:53 AM   #1332
Major LCF Poster!

Annette-glad you are getting back in the groove-believe me, I know how hard it is. too bad there are so many things you can't eat.

I gained 1.1 pounds overnight.....could it have been that homemade yellow squash soup or the pork roast? (being sarcastic)
Old 09-04-2009, 06:37 AM   #1333
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Linda, by consistency do you mean actually sticking to it for, oh, two weeks?
Longer than that, girl.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:48 AM   #1334
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Annette-glad you are getting back in the groove-believe me, I know how hard it is. too bad there are so many things you can't eat.

I gained 1.1 pounds overnight.....could it have been that homemade yellow squash soup or the pork roast? (being sarcastic)
That sounds like water gain. We can gain up to 5 pounds of water weight in one day.

There's only two circumstances where we gain real weight:

1) We eat less than 1200 calories for an extended period and then go back to 1200 or above too quickly. Our bodies grab and store everything it can get its hands on.

2) Calories in - calories out - we take in more calories than we are burning.

I know with Adkins that the second way we gain weight does not seem to apply in general. But, I have talked to several people that have said that after our bodies burn a certain percentage of weight (I think it's 30%), the weight loss stops. Some have said you have to give your body a six to nine month rest before you can kick your body into fat burning mode again with Adkins alone.
Old 09-06-2009, 04:07 AM   #1335
Junior LCF Member

Hi all-

Thanks for all the "welcomes"!! I am staying on target with my food!! hooray. Even my husband is helping keep the bread basket away. haha. We had brazilian BBQ last night! Talk about Atkins heaven.. I had a nice salad and then all sort of meat that they slice for you right at the table!!. Very yummy and I didn't eat til I had to rolled out of the place.

I almost bought a scale yesterday... I am afraid to though, since I don't want to keep weighing myself. Although I think if I have one it may make stay on track like I did when I started 9 years ago.... My husband reminded me when I told him I almost bought a scale that I said "I would never live in a house with a scale again".. Hmmm, anyone else out there "afraid" of the scale?? I get anxiety just thinking about being weighed at the Doctors office.

I know I have "issues" with the way I look and weight had always been a struggle for me until I found Atkins WOL. When do those issues go away?? Probably never since I'm 40 and still beating myself up over any slip ups in my eating that have.

Oh well that's my confessions. I really think I feel better now. Happy labor day all! I get to spend the day at the barn with my daughter!!! Yeah.

Take care and happy low carbing..
Old 09-06-2009, 07:49 AM   #1336
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good Morning girls!

Lil: Buying or not buying a scale is a personal choice. I bought a new digital one and weighed in every morning neked to monitor my Atkins woe. I have not weighed myself for a while now because I can feel the water weight on my thighs and tummy pooch. When I do Atkins strictly, my pooch goes away.
My boss's daughter just opened up a Brazilian Restaurant that sounds like the one you mentioned. I haven't been there yet - waiting for my birthday to see if he'll take me there. It's a 50 mile drive from home. It does sound like a Atkins haven. This restaurant has 200 kinds of imported beers. Luckily I don't like beer so that temptation is nil.

These days I have taken a hiatus from low carbs but soon to be back on. I tend to gain water weight like a sponge on carbs and my visits to the gym have been reduced due to home life businest so knowing I can't have both worlds...eating carbs and not working out, I have a choice to make.

I'm outfitted to go to the gym now. Making homemade baked beans in the crockpot today for tomorrow's cookout with my daughter and her fiancee'. I may as well enjoy my last day of carbo-feast. Starting Tuesday, I'm going to cut back severely and try to work just about every other day. Wish me luck!

Have a good Labor Day!
Old 09-06-2009, 08:05 AM   #1337
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMonkey View Post
That sounds like water gain. We can gain up to 5 pounds of water weight in one day.

There's only two circumstances where we gain real weight:

1) We eat less than 1200 calories for an extended period and then go back to 1200 or above too quickly. Our bodies grab and store everything it can get its hands on.

2) Calories in - calories out - we take in more calories than we are burning.

I know with Adkins that the second way we gain weight does not seem to apply in general. But, I have talked to several people that have said that after our bodies burn a certain percentage of weight (I think it's 30%), the weight loss stops. Some have said you have to give your body a six to nine month rest before you can kick your body into fat burning mode again with Adkins alone.
Yikes! 5 lbs in a day! The issue I am struggling with is how many carbs is right for me.

If I eat too little carbs - I feel weak and lethargic and feel my muscles go limp. It feels like once the body can't use carbs for fuel, it hits my muscles instead of fat.

If I eat too many carbs - I have energy but...I get hungry easily and I blow up in water weight.

So far, it seems like the Metabolism Miracle book eating 10 carbs every 4 hrs faciliates the fastest weight loss for me. How much muscle is getting atrophy - that, I don't know.

I have not yet bought the vitamins and stuff for The Diet Cure book because that's when my worries about my dog started.

So, in the meantime, my goal next week is to do the 10 carbs/4 hrs until I re-read the Diet Cure book and get the supplements she recommends.

Annette: Do you add vitamins to your dog's food? If so, what and how much? Safi is still limping quite a bit and her pain pills ran out. I don't see any improvement using the Chrondo Flex II (glucosomine supplement).

I have her on homemade wet food (beef, sweet potato,celery, carrots or chicken, barley, celery, carrot) mixed in with Halo's Dry Spot's Stew kibbles. I empty out 2 capfulls of Omega 3 in her food for 1 of the 2 feeding per day.

Her follow up appointment w/the surgeon is on September 21st. She'll get Xrays again so he can see how she's healing. Her cold seems to be better thanks to the antibiotic - at least it won't go into pneumonia like the Vet was concerned about.

I'd better get to the gym before I lose my incentive.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:20 AM   #1338
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilrachlee View Post
Hi all-

Thanks for all the "welcomes"!! I am staying on target with my food!! hooray. Even my husband is helping keep the bread basket away. haha. We had brazilian BBQ last night! Talk about Atkins heaven.. I had a nice salad and then all sort of meat that they slice for you right at the table!!. Very yummy and I didn't eat til I had to rolled out of the place.

I almost bought a scale yesterday... I am afraid to though, since I don't want to keep weighing myself. Although I think if I have one it may make stay on track like I did when I started 9 years ago.... My husband reminded me when I told him I almost bought a scale that I said "I would never live in a house with a scale again".. Hmmm, anyone else out there "afraid" of the scale?? I get anxiety just thinking about being weighed at the Doctors office.

I know I have "issues" with the way I look and weight had always been a struggle for me until I found Atkins WOL. When do those issues go away?? Probably never since I'm 40 and still beating myself up over any slip ups in my eating that have.

Oh well that's my confessions. I really think I feel better now. Happy labor day all! I get to spend the day at the barn with my daughter!!! Yeah.

Take care and happy low carbing..
Do you have a Wii? I use the Wii Fit program to weight myself and do core exercises. It's a good way to weight yourself because it reinforces what is a healthy BMI and gives you tools to practice deep breathing, holding good posture, etc...
Old 09-06-2009, 08:24 AM   #1339
Senior LCF Member

Linda,
I don't add supplements. Are you looking for pain relief?
Old 09-06-2009, 09:32 AM   #1340
Senior LCF Member

I viewed a Q&A on Ceaser Milan's website about helping your dog through recovery. Here are some of the tips"

Use a stress-relief product, usually contains lavender, to relax the dog, e.g., Rescue Remedy
Make sure we are calm and not "feeling sorry" for the dog
Let the dog sit by you when you are meditating
Acupuncture
Other homeopathic care
Mimic a walk by transporting in crate or wagon or golf cart. The movement and smells will tire out and relax the dog
Put out shoe boxes with holes punched in the top - put snacks in one box, dirt from outside in another, etc...

Last edited by AMonkey; 09-06-2009 at 09:34 AM.. Reason: Typos
Old 09-07-2009, 04:09 AM   #1341
Junior LCF Member

Hi Amonkey- YES i do have a WII fit and completely forgot about that "weigh" feature!! Thanks. I guess its been awhile since I used it. haha

Well this week I will try it and see.

Thanks

Last edited by lilrachlee; 09-07-2009 at 04:10 AM.. Reason: add a word
Old 09-09-2009, 06:04 AM   #1342
Major LCF Poster!

Just checking in...weighed on Monday and was back to 160-that's a pretty big gain...still trying....
Old 09-09-2009, 06:57 AM   #1343
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I viewed a Q&A on Ceaser Milan's website about helping your dog through recovery. Here are some of the tips"

Use a stress-relief product, usually contains lavender, to relax the dog, e.g., Rescue Remedy
Make sure we are calm and not "feeling sorry" for the dog
Let the dog sit by you when you are meditating
Acupuncture
Other homeopathic care
Mimic a walk by transporting in crate or wagon or golf cart. The movement and smells will tire out and relax the dog
Put out shoe boxes with holes punched in the top - put snacks in one box, dirt from outside in another, etc...
Hi Annette,
I joined the Milan's website. The Reseue Remedy I have heard about and a psychic friend of mine recommeded it for my last boxer who had bladder cancer. I like the calm - not feel sorry advice. At least in the beginning I was feeling sorry and apologizing for her pain. Now, that she's better and thinks she's back to before the operation, I don't feel project self pity on her but tell her she can't jump on furniture or on my lap for the time being. I tell her "because" she needs to heal and her job is to heal herself and not take on mommy and daddy's crap. Pets are very empathic. I give her massages by hand and a device with magnetic rollers and she loves that. Not sure about putting dirt in a box...wonder what that's supposed to do?

Donna: Don't feel bad. My week before Labor Day and Labor Day was a bust. Ate too many carbs, appetite increased twicefold and I was up to 147 by Tues morning! Talk about 5 lbs of water weight (Annette)!

So....as I've said, I am doing Protein Power 10 carbs 3x a day and started yesterday. I've lost 2 lbs since yesterday. Also, loaded up on Magnesium for flushing out the sticky carbs and that is fail proof for me.

At least Protein Power gives me a little flexibility i.e, Pepperidge Farm 5g carb bread so that I could have a sandwich now and then or peanut butter toast for breakfast when I'm tired of eggs. Eventually you up the carbs by 5 g per day until you reach your critical carb level and know your limits.

Yesterday I bought their newer books: Eades/Protein Power Lifetime and the Slow Burn exercise Book co-written by a weight trainer. The latter is about less workout time using heavier weights 2x a week but intense. Apparently what I'm doing isn't effective because my upper thighs are still like jello even though I've been upping the same machine weights all along. I'm still trying to get more bang for the buck with exercising and hate to "waste time" with all of this.

Lil: Are you still with us? How are you doing? What's your blood type, age, exercise routine? If you've read this thread, you may know me as being the "questionaire lady". Share what you'd like...no pressure.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:04 AM   #1344
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Need to re-stock on Safi's dry food soon. Thinking about Core Wellness - no grain, just protein. Reading alot about dogs don't NEED grains - they are just cheap fillers that manufacturers add to make it stretch. Grains are a no-no for arthritic pets except for oatmeal.

Looks like I'm putting Safi on Atkins!

I had a crockpot of chicken and garlic running all night. DH hates garlic and complained bitterly about the smell throughout the house and he couldn't fall aslepp so I had to shut it off. I nukee it till it got done and stick it in the fridge at 11:30 last night after I've been already in bed since 10:00 p.m. FUN getting up and de-boning chicken and food processing the veggies after sleeping soundly!!! The house still smelled of it this morning and he left work with the air cleaners on full blast. Garlic is a good anti-oxidant and immune builder for dogs and people...so what's the prob? Oh well, my DH instead of being a germ a phophic like Howie Mandell, he's now a Aroma-phobic! For the past year, he's been complaining about any cooking I do except, of course, HIS baked goods. Sorry...I had to vent...
Old 09-09-2009, 10:34 AM   #1345
Major LCF Poster!

"garlic is the ketchup of intellectuals...."
Love, love, love it.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:41 AM   #1346
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

funny...I rarely use catshup. I guess I'm intellectual!
Old 09-09-2009, 05:44 PM   #1347
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Linda,
I don't add supplements. Are you looking for pain relief?
Yeah, pain relief, de-inflame her arthritic joints, prevent progression of it and help heal her titanium plate operation on her knee. Not asking for alot, am I?
She's actually to the point she was before the operation - lifting that leg up half the time and walking on it lightly the other half. Her energy level is good.

DH said no more cooking for the dog. He thinks I'm going over the edge. Who? Me? I insist on high quality dog food though.

I might have to compromise on just high quality dry food. The high quality can food run of the mill brand is $.79. The high quality is $2.99. Whenever I made meat - I will save portions for her. I'm going to try Halo's green supplement and their EFA supplement (cod liver oil, flaxseed for allieviation of inflammation of joints. Their B complex has wheat bran in it and I'm not crazy about that. Wheat, corn and soy are the #1 triggers for food sensitivities in dogs and people. I may just buy Brewers Yeast and leave it at that. DH doesn't know any of this yet....sshhh - don't tell.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:22 PM   #1348
Senior LCF Member

Glad to hear Safi's feeling better. Maybe you could pour garlic oil from capsules into Safi's food? I really like the Organix by Castor and Pollux. It is such a chore to switch dry foods, that I don't want to do it now. I never thought I'd be so excited to see the "perfect poop." The other wet foods I tried produced mush poop!

Glad to hear you joined the website! I took the plunge and signed up for Sessions. The dogs are my only "hobby," so my hubby considered it money well spent.

The dirt in the box was my stupid idea. I thought there might be a "smell" associated with the dirt from your yard or something. I guess the deal is to give the dog the mental challenge of sniffing out the box with the treat. I'm not sure what you would put in the other boxes though... scented candle? Not garlic!

I've been working like a dog trying to make up for my vacation. I had some high cal snacks (5 rice cakes is almost 500 calories!) today and yesterday I had a blueberry scone to get me through the lengthy afternoon. We'll see what the scale says on Friday.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:08 AM   #1349
Major LCF Poster!

Down .5 lb from Monday. Now only 5 pounds to go to be at my low of 155, which I hit in JULY!!!
Old 09-10-2009, 07:23 AM   #1350
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Down .5 lb from Monday. Now only 5 pounds to go to be at my low of 155, which I hit in JULY!!!
Do another fat fast that seems to work for you and stick to the plan and you'll lose it.

I'm down 3 lbs since I've been doing Protein Power - now at my set weight of 144. I'm just eating salads and meats for lunch and meat and low starch veggies for dinner. Water weight is going down. Need to drink more water, though.