Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2009, 06:26 AM   #1291
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BlueTopaz
Stats: 160/156/140
WOE: whatever works
Start Date: 10 years ago - Height 5' 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by atkinsgoddess View Post
Linda, what was the dream???

I think it's funny that none of us knows why we should take the coQ, but all are taking it...I really have never noticed that the mag. does much...

Ended up going over the Beth's last night, so, so much for the FF. We had fantastic ribeyes-I must have had over half a pound-and our wonderful South Glastonbury corn-just one ear-gotta do it in the summer. But it was the delicious red wine (and vodka) that put the carbs and cals over the top.

The crockpot chicken came out well-7 lbs on high for about 4.5 hours I think. I have used this one more times in a year than I did the old one in 30!
My computer re-booted with the HP Updates...

Very short and sweet dream...

You and your husband showed up at my house. You were tall with shoulder length black hair cut in 1 length and very attractive and your husband was a little shorter and stocky but well muscled and very distinquish with thick gray hair and a sculptered face. You and him, rather than talking to me, were looking around my house as though you two were visiting a museum or like a potential buyer having a walk-thru. I was waiting with bated breath to talk. Then I woke up.

Now I know you're going to tell me you and him don't look anything like I described but I thought the dream was interesting nonetheless. Our house is not museum quality -

Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2009, 08:13 AM   #1292
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Scotty
Stats: 174/160.9/140- 5' 7.5" born in 1946
WOE: Enjoying JUDDD's freedom after years of low carb
Start Date: Every day!!! JUDD start 1/13/12
So funny!! Would like to meet you someday...

I have dark hair (well, really silver, but haven't seen it that color in around 10 years) in a bob with bangs, between chin and shoulder-I was considered good looking in my youth...Dave is 6'3" with blonde hair ( I wish it was gray-LOVE a silver fox) with nice legs but a belly, unfortunately not muscled but strong.
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:27 AM   #1293
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
So funny!! Would like to meet you someday...

I have dark hair (well, really silver, but haven't seen it that color in around 10 years) in a bob with bangs, between chin and shoulder-I was considered good looking in my youth...Dave is 6'3" with blonde hair ( I wish it was gray-LOVE a silver fox) with nice legs but a belly, unfortunately not muscled but strong.
My dream described you better - maybe a younger version - feels like The Twilight Zone - time warp.
BlueTopaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:59 AM   #1294
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AMonkey
Stats: 158/129/125
WOE: Organic Whole Foods
Start Date: October 2008
CoQ10 is a naturally-occuring compound found in every cell in the body. CoQ10's alternate name, ubiquinone, comes from the word ubiquitous, which means "found everywhere." CoQ10 plays a key role in producing energy in the mitochondria, the part of a cell responsible for the production of energy in the form of ATP. Mitochondria are the cell's power producers. They convert energy into forms that are usable by the cell. ATP is the main source of usable energy for the activities of the cells.

People use CoQ10 for:
* Heart failure
* Cardiomyopathy
* Heart Attack Prevention and Recovery
* High Blood Pressure
* Diabetes
* Gum Disease
* Kidney Failure
* Migraine
* Counteract Prescription Drug Effects
* Parkinson's disease
* Weight loss

People with heart failure have been found to have lower levels of CoQ10 in heart muscle cells. Double-blind research suggests that CoQ10 may reduce symptoms related to heart failure, such as shortness of breath, difficulty sleeping, and swelling. CoQ10 is thought to increase energy production in the heart muscle, increasing the strength of the pumping action.

Many doctors suggest taking CoQ10 when taking statins (cholestral lowering) drugs as studies have shown the statins reduce the body's production. (That's when/why I started taking it.)

Are you really only getting 4 hours of sleep? That alone would keep you from losing weight. Gosh - why so little sleep?

We're going to see District 9 in a bit. No popcorn for me (darn!). But we're going for lunch after the movie. I have a coupon for Borders - I'll see if the Diet Cure is there.

Annette

Last edited by AMonkey; 08-16-2009 at 10:05 AM.. Reason: Let out stuff
AMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 06:46 AM   #1295
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Monday 8/17/09

Annette, My husband and his mom and aunt went to see District 9 this past Friday. They both loved it. It's slow in the beginning but it gets real good. DH told me the entire move and it got him thinking about it into the next day. It's got a paralell meaning to it....

Thanks for the info on CoO10 - I believe I started taking it for the cholesteral.

Donna, Julia Child movie came out on August 15 (her birthday). You would enjoy that one. I heard it has great ratings.

We went out on a limb....DH and I booked a Caribbean Vacation in Punta Cana (Dominican Republic) for my 50th birthday. From 12/8 - 12/15 - direct flight (can't stand waiting around for 4-5 hrs in the airport). It's a 4 hr flight - we'll leave at 8:00 and get there by 1:00 p.m. It's going to be tight for us but it's my 50th birthday and I'm not having a party at home. We missed going on vacation this past Spring because of unexpected expenses. Hopefully, Safi's leg/hip issue doesn't require a $1500 operation. We just found out we have termites - $1500 for that to be corrected. It never ends... All I know is my husband is the happiest when we go on vacation in the Caribbean (me too) and Dominican Republic we love. This will be our 9th trip there. We want to retire and live there during the winter months. Him and I can't stand the cold, damp weather - allergies and sinus infections constantly. It adds 10 yrs to my life during winter. Feel old and stiff.

I dropped Safi off at the vets office this morning. She'll get a mild anethesia for the Xrays and we'll hear back on the results before days end. I pick her up after work. Keep your fingers cross, girls, that it doesn't require an operation or a high vet bill.

Went to the gym yesterday and tried that 90 degree leg extension where you have to put this huge weights on yourself. I could barely lift them on...45 lbs. each - . It's in the section where the heavy lifters work out with a "spotter". I also tried the crunch one where you are lifting up from your shoulders and swatting down. That wasn't too bad. I felt a little naive and there were 2 guys doing bench presses that looked worried for me like they're ready to rescue me from hurting myself seriously. But I need more hard core weights. The ones I have been doing, I keep upping the weights and still am not sore the next day. For the sitting leg push extension with the large plate, I'm up to 130 lbs and doing 3 sets of 15 no problem. My upper thighs are still flabby. I started the workout on the ecliptical - still haven't make friends with it. So, I went on the treadmill to warm up - 20 mins and then at the end of the workout, went back on it for another 15 mins. My quads are getting bigger but like I said, the upper thighs are still like jello.

I don't know why the ecliptical and the sitting leg machine that you raise up and down fatigue me so much and yet the hip abducter (inner and outer thighs) and the leg push extension I can do with ease.

I have also been doing the lying down leg pull machines for the hamstrings and back of the thigh. Not too easy but not as bad as the above 2 motions.

I think I have to do more cardio to burn the fat but I have to admit I don't like it. I'd rather lift weights.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:32 AM   #1296
Major LCF Poster!

Yes, I am planning on seeing that with my daughter. And maybe having a French meal?

Wow, you are doing great with the weights. I much prefer weights to cardio, also, and from what I have read, better for you.

Your trip sounds great. Hope DD (dear dog) turns out to be an easy fix. Never been to DR-is it inexpensive there?
Old 08-17-2009, 05:14 PM   #1297
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Yes, I am planning on seeing that with my daughter. And maybe having a French meal?

Wow, you are doing great with the weights. I much prefer weights to cardio, also, and from what I have read, better for you.

Your trip sounds great. Hope DD (dear dog) turns out to be an easy fix. Never been to DR-is it inexpensive there?
No, it's very inexpensive. That's part of the reason we go there. We like the island and the people but unfortunately, we had to cancel tonight because of Safi.

Got call from Vet. She's got hip dysplasma and arthritis in hips and her right leg (the one she has partially torn her ligament last winter). She needs a knee operation right away. I scheduled the appt. when I got home and it's for Wednesday. She may get the operation as early as Thurs. per the receptionist. Mike will take her.

Hip replacements are $10,000 but is not recommended. The vet seemed to think she is not in pain in her hip - just her knee and sometimes the hip displasyma doesn't kick up until they're about 10-12 yrs old. Safi's only turned 4. Hip displasma usually is diagnosed before a dog is 1 yrs old and is hereditary. If it wouldn't have been for her torn knee, maybe we wouldn't have known for years. Not much to do for it though. She's been on Chrondo Flex (glucosomine) for a couple of months and now needs to be on it for life.

I was referred to an orthopedic surgeon in Malvern, PA near my daughters college - 30 + miles away. My vet said the estimate cost of these operation is between $1500 - $3500.

Easy come, easy go.

Last edited by BlueTopaz; 08-17-2009 at 05:16 PM..
Old 08-18-2009, 05:26 AM   #1298
Major LCF Poster!

Linda, it's a shame about Safi, AND your trip. But of course you have to get it fixed.
Hip dysplasia is common in some larger dogs, and Yes, I'm surprised it wasn't diagnosed earlier.

It's in the 90's again today, and even I'm not wearing a suit and jacket. Can't we ever get beautiful New England summers any more?? Even a few days of it??

Got waylaid a bit yesterday, but back in the saddle again today. Hope I can stay pretty good while the kids are here...
Old 08-18-2009, 01:16 PM   #1299
Major LCF Poster!

HELLOOOOO???
Old 08-19-2009, 06:08 AM   #1300
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi, I'm back.

I made an appointment with the orthopedic vet surgeon for today for the initial exam and DH be showing him the Xrays. As early as tomorrow - could be the surgery.

I am going to be either home cooking her dog food or finding a dog food for arthritis. Diet plays a role. I have been giving her the Vet's glucomanine but as I read on the web about arthritis...Flax seed oil and Vitamin C is also beneficial for joint relief.

Husband and I are pretty upset. Hip Displasma is very painful and we hate to see her deteriorate.

I'll let you know how the appointment goes when DH comes home later tonight.

Going to hang out with my daughter tonight for a little.

Have a nice day.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:03 AM   #1301
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

HELLOOO????
Old 08-19-2009, 01:38 PM   #1302
Major LCF Poster!

Getting through the day; vacation starts tomorrow. Wish me luck.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:06 AM   #1303
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Getting through the day; vacation starts tomorrow. Wish me luck.
Good luck and I hope you enjoy your vacation. You are going away-away?

It's Thurs morning at 4:50 am. Woke up and can't get back to sleep.
Safi will be operated on today sometime. It's going to be a nightmare for the next 6 months (recuperation time).

Mike took her to the Ortho Vet in Malvern yesterday at Noon. The doctor himself has a boxer. He said that her partially torn knee ligament was not because of the hip dysplamia. This is a separate issue. Boxers are muscular and energetic and over do it and he operates on alot of them. He has 14 operations today besides Safi's. Her one hip joint is away from the socket but the other one is pretty normal. But he discouraged any hip operation as the recuperation is hard, long and painful. This operation will be bad enough.

The doc will either put a titanium metal in her knee or take cartilage from a dead dog or use Safi's cartilige, drill a hole in her bone and wrap her cartilage around it. Depends on what sees when he gets there.

Recuperation will be 6 months. Last night we had to run to the pet store and get a pet boundary room divider - like attached baby gates and partition 1/3 of the family room (where we ususally are). She will not be able to leave that area for 6 weeks other than walking to her food dish or her bathroom duties. Her 1st 6 week appt - if she's ok - her space can be bigger. 2 more appointments after that. She will not have the run of the house for at least 6 months or until healed. If you knew how much our dog begs us for walks every day which my husband complies - you would realize that this 6 month ordeal will not be easy on her. She cannot do steps at all, so we have to lift her down the 1 step from house to garage to go potty.

She will be on heavy duty painkillers and also tranquilizers because the Doc knows how Boxers are about being confined. I cried when Mike described all of this and you would think that she was put to sleep...the way I feel. But the pain and suffering is what is breaking my heart and they don't understand what's going on and the WHY's. The cost is $3,400.00.

Annette, didn't hear from you lately. How are you doing?
Old 08-20-2009, 04:52 AM   #1304
Major LCF Poster!

Linda, not going away-just spending time with my grandson and daughter visiting here from Chicago for my other grandson's baptism Sunday. We have a whole itinerary set up.

It sounds like you have a rough 6 months ahead of you for poor Safi. Keep us posted.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:21 AM   #1305
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Linda, not going away-just spending time with my grandson and daughter visiting here from Chicago for my other grandson's baptism Sunday. We have a whole itinerary set up.

It sounds like you have a rough 6 months ahead of you for poor Safi. Keep us posted.
Sounds like a pleasant vacation. Enjoy.

Thanks for the support on Safi. It will be rough but she is a happy dog and has been certified as being healthy up until now. She's still strong and muscular so I'm hoping for a speedy recovery. Of course, we'll have to limit her activity even after your recovery so she doesn't tear it again. I hate all the drugs but she'll need the pain pills and sedatives just to keep her from overdoing it. I will be giving her Reiki and massages throughout this as well. I have a client whom we trained for Reiki and she is a dog breeder and does Reiki and massage on the side. She will visit my home and we'll both work on Safi. I also have some Christian friends that will be praying for her. Keeping the faith...

Stress for me melts the pounds. Over the last 2 days I lost 5 lbs. Not eating breakfast, a decent lunch and a small amount of supper. I'm just eating to live. I guess that makes me an Emotional Non Eater. Not worried about carbs - just going for comfort food. Today, I want pizza.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:12 PM   #1306
Senior LCF Member

I'll be thinking of Safi. You might want to check out Caesar Millan's site to see if anyone has tips about how to handle recovery time.

I've worked long hours the last few days and have been too pooped to take the pups for a walk. It's too hot here to go out during the day.

Let me catch you guys up on what's going on here. My urologist put me on a low acid diet. It is very limited. No eggs, no spices, no tofu or soy, no aged cheese, no yogurt, no fruits except pear, melon (not cantaloupe) and blueberry. Almonds and pine nuts, but no other nuts. The diet is to keep me from eating foods that will irritate my bladder. After two days - I no longer have bladder discomfort.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:25 AM   #1307
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMonkey View Post
I'll be thinking of Safi. You might want to check out Caesar Millan's site to see if anyone has tips about how to handle recovery time.

I've worked long hours the last few days and have been too pooped to take the pups for a walk. It's too hot here to go out during the day.

Let me catch you guys up on what's going on here. My urologist put me on a low acid diet. It is very limited. No eggs, no spices, no tofu or soy, no aged cheese, no yogurt, no fruits except pear, melon (not cantaloupe) and blueberry. Almonds and pine nuts, but no other nuts. The diet is to keep me from eating foods that will irritate my bladder. After two days - I no longer have bladder discomfort.
Annette, so glad you wrote! Thanks for your thoughts on Safi. Yesterday was an emotional day for Mike and I.

She was scheduled for early surgery yesterday (doctor had 14 operations to do that day). I called around 2:30 and the doctor came on the line and said she had episodes of vomiting and diahrea all last night and that morning and that surgery had to be delayed. She was dehydrated and and gave her meds to stop the vomiting and fluids to get her hydrated. Surgery was to wait until 4:30 and to call back then.

I called at 4:30 and the doc came on the line. He sounded exasperated and said she is still dehydrated and that they will continue the fluids and reschedule surgery in another couple of hours. If she's not hydrated by then, we'd have to reschedule the surgery date. Call back in 2 hrs.

I called again at 7:00, and she was in surgery and was doing well with the anesthesia. They will call back as soon as she's out.

I hopped in the shower quick at 9:00 p.m. and the doc called. Mike came upstairs and told me the good news that she done well during surgery and that she was sleeping. They were going to continue with the fluids and I am to call tomorrow after 10:00 am for an update and when we can pick her up.

Safi had a lot of people pulling for her and thank GOD for her getting thru it.

She'll have to wear a plastic cone on her head. The last time she had to wear one was when she got neutered and she had a fit and was banging her head on the floor until we took it off. She never licked her stitches and healed well.

We have a nice area in our family room with a pet room barrier dividing it. We have her favorite chair comforter wrapped around a large piece of memory foam and her beloved stuffed animals inside. I will be taking off next Monday, Thurs and Friday to be with her and Mike is taking Tues and Wednesday off. I know it's going to be a long haul for her but it is important that she heals well. From what I've read, often times they tear the tendons again. I pray this doesn't happen for we cannot get another operation done anytime soon. The cost for this is astronomical and some people think we're nuts for doing it. She only turned 4 yrs old in July and we could not give up on her. Our dogs have always been our kids and money is just a piece of paper.

On another note, I think it's interesting that acidic foods are triggering your UTI's. It does make sense. A more alkalined diet is usually favored to prevent alot of diseases. Most veggies fall in that group. I believe tomatoes are akalined until they're cooked. I had read up on that 3-4 yrs ago when I had acid reflux/heartburn. I had to give up coffee too which was tough. Will you still be getting the operation to correct this as well?

Thanks for the website info...I'll check it out. Safi's doctor may be recommending a different diet for her. Either way, I"m taking her off the commercial store bought dog food and probably will opt for a holistic dry food and I'll cook the fresh meat, veggies, sweet potato and rice unless her surgeon tells me different. This would be a diet geared for arthritis and hip dysplasia. Arthritis is an auto-immune diseases which I believe can be triggered by food sensitivies. High purine meats (organ meats) are supposed to be very bad for arthritis whereas beef, chicken, lamb are not so high in purine. Turkey, I read is high purine which surprised me. I was checking out Merrick dry dog food's ingredients and it seems to have a lot of vitamins, omegas, glucosomine, human grade meat, sweet potato, rice in it. Did you ever hear of it? What do you feed your dogs Annette?
Old 08-21-2009, 08:52 PM   #1308
Senior LCF Member

I have to fix the cause of the UTIs before the doctor will allow surgery. I can have homegrown tomatoes, but not any other types.

I feed my pups Taste of the Wild dry food (grain free duck and sweet potato) and supplement with Wellness canned food. I think you're on the right track to pick a food that will not promote or aggravate arthritis. I don't know if dogs bodies react to food the same as humans. Home cooking is great. My friend makes her own food using a product from the Honest Kitchen: Natural Dog Food | The Honest Kitchen

There's some great people on this Dog Food Chat board: Dog Food Forum

My thoughts are with you and yours.

Annette
Old 08-22-2009, 08:49 AM   #1309
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

We got Safi home last night around 7:00 p.m. Her leg is shaved and she has a pain patch on her. She's on alot of pills..antibiotic, pain pill, anti-nausea, tranquilizer (if she needs it). She drank alot of water when she got home and then threw up. Lesson learned - a little water at a time. She has been dehydrated. We need to give her hamburger and rice for the next 4 days which I had already made up from earlier this week when she had diahreaa.

She's very low keyed right now and we haven't had to use the cone. She doesn't seem to want to lick it and as long as Mike and I are near here to watch her - we won't have to put it on. If we should have to leave her, then we will.

She is able to pee right now but #2 not yet. I would imagine the manner of which they do #2 is hard for her since she can't step on that operated leg. If she doesn't go in the next couple of days, we have to call the hospital. We have a sling that we use to walk her to eat and go potty to lift the weight off a little and she hops along.

The doc said after the hamburger and rice, to keep her on her regular dog food since most dogs don't eat the healthy ones but after she's pretty well on her way to recuperating, I'm going to switch. Sometimes, they have diareaa from a change in food so now is probably not the time. I have 2 books on dog diets coming. If it's not diet books for me - now it's for the dog. My husband will think I've really flipped but I don't care. I'll just have to wait awhile till I start.

Thanks for your kind thought and I'll keep in touch. How are you doing so far on the anti-acidic diet?
Old 08-22-2009, 10:24 AM   #1310
Senior LCF Member

My doctor prescribed the science diet canned food prescription brand and it worked wonderfully. He said he preferred brown rice and boiled chicken homemade, but if I didn't have time I could use the science diet.

Well. My bladder doesn't hurt anymore - that's very nice. But I've gotten into some goodies as I "can" eat - but shouldn't, chips. blueberry scone. It's a slippery slope...

The walks with the dogs have been giving me cardio every day but it's time to get back into the exercise routine - and that will be today.

Last edited by AMonkey; 08-22-2009 at 10:28 AM..
Old 08-27-2009, 08:25 AM   #1311
Major LCF Poster!

Hmmm, no postings in a long time. Where is everyone? My family is gone-sniff- but had a very good time with my two grandsons and my daughters. Back to work today....I am sure I gained, but am afraid to weigh. Back on the program today.

How is Safi?
Old 08-28-2009, 06:05 AM   #1312
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Another rainy day in PA

Quote:
Hmmm, no postings in a long time. Where is everyone? My family is gone-sniff- but had a very good time with my two grandsons and my daughters. Back to work today....I am sure I gained, but am afraid to weigh. Back on the program today.

How is Safi?
Hi Donna back.

Been busy with Safi this week - she came home last Thursday so yesterday was 1 week. Mike and I have been taking turns staying home with her. I'm home today - and it's freaking raining. Made up a meatloaf and cut up cauliflower (for faux mashed potatoes) for tonight. Haven't been cooking much this week and haven't been weighing and got TOM too the other day.

Safi's operation went well. She was a little sick and listless the 1st two days after the operation, then her personality came back but then got a bad cough. Never heard her like that. :::like I need another thing to worry about:::Took her to the vet yesterday and they think she got an upper respiratory infection from running her immune system down from stress - sounds like humans. She had been on 5 days of antibiotics after the operation and and soon as she got off them - the cough came. Now she has 10 days of antibiotics. I hope its not kennel cough or that it goes to pneumonia (Vet wants to us to watch that). It took her 5 days to poop so I was calling the hospital on that but they said she didn't eat for 2 days prior and during operation so her body is holding on to the food but to put a spoonful of canned pumpkin in her food and on the 2nd day after that - she did her duty.

I made her a chicken,veggie homemade stew for her yesterday which she is gung ho on. I also put a Omega 3 Fish oil in yesterday's food to help with her arthritis and joints. I'll be adding supplements little at a time.

Either my sinuses are amok or I have a infection coming along. The last thing I need is bronchitis...I just got over the last one. Luckily, I have a presciption for antibiotics to fill just in case.

Well, that's about it. Glad you enjoyed your family gathering and I'm sure it's hard to leave.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:07 PM   #1313
Senior LCF Member

Sorry to hear Safi is having trouble with infection and coughing. Just like human hospitals - we often come home with a cold or infection after surgery are getting treated to get "better."

Yogurt is good to renew good bacteria in the stomach after antibiotics. And it also helps digestion and gassy tummies. I give mine plain yogurt.

I have not exercised, aside from the dogs' daily walks. I've been whiney about the foods I can't eat and sneaking taffy and chips. I even got into ice cream - I didn't even like it! It was a total emotional thing.

So alas, I'm not looking at the scale until I get back on track.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:44 AM   #1314
Major LCF Poster!

Hoping Safi is feeling better...

Annette, hope you are doing well.

I am not looking at the scale either. I am TRYING for a real induction with VLC. I am doing the fat fast today-maybe to get things started?

I know two weeks isn't that long. Others do it-why can't I?
Old 08-30-2009, 05:29 AM   #1315
Major LCF Poster!

One day of FF down. Funny how I am not hungry, per se, but I do think about food a lot. Trying for another today-jump start maybe?? Ketosis maybe??

Was thinking that in almost nine months I've lost less than 5 pounds. Doesn't say much for me, does it? It just seems like I am on this thing so much-so disciplined, and then POOF!
Old 08-30-2009, 07:14 AM   #1316
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
One day of FF down. Funny how I am not hungry, per se, but I do think about food a lot. Trying for another today-jump start maybe?? Ketosis maybe??

Was thinking that in almost nine months I've lost less than 5 pounds. Doesn't say much for me, does it? It just seems like I am on this thing so much-so disciplined, and then POOF!
Safi is doing a little better today. She even went for a toy to play with this morning. Her stitches get taken out next Wedneday. I'm working this weekend so I can have off Monday, Tues and Wed. to be with her and give her pain meds, warm compresses, antibiotics and love.

Donna, I think we have a set-point in our weight especially at our age. For me it's 144. I have to eat strict to get below that consistently - if not, it goes back up to 144. If I overeat sweets, refined flour, fats and late night, I go over the 144. I have been gaining and losing the same 6 - 7 lbs since January. I've got to get back to regular gym visits 3x a week. The past 3-4 weeks have been chaotic. If I build the muscle and shrink the fat cells - then I have met my goal. If gaining muscle means the scale will be at 144 or so, so be it. It's what I look neked that counts.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:02 AM   #1317
Senior LCF Member

The Fat Fast can be affective - but as you say, with Atkins it's an all or nothing deal. I dare say - it's a challenge.

I get stuck at 130
Old 08-30-2009, 11:38 AM   #1318
Major LCF Poster!

I would love it if my set point were 144!
Old 08-31-2009, 04:26 AM   #1319
Major LCF Poster!

After not weighing for two weeks, I am down 1 pound to 156.6. I am ok with that, even though I've weighed that probably five times in the last 8 months. VLC today but I will still probably gain tomorrow after eating "normally" after the FF. Always surprising that my stomach doesn't growl or feel hunger, although I SURE COULD EAT !!!

I'm hoping to do a good induction, and hoping that booze/personal issues don't interfere. When upset or anxious I don't eat; when angry I eat and /or drink.

Age doesn't necessarily mean wisdom all the time, although I certainly like myself better than when I was younger, and I don't sweat the small stuff as much...

"If you're afraid of butter, add a little cream" Julia Child
Old 08-31-2009, 09:22 AM   #1320
Senior LCF Member

Linda, you've got it on the nose. As we age - Mother Nature is not too understanding or polite - she cuts us no slack. Our metabolisms slow down and the nice cushy curvature meant to attract the boys and birth the babies starts falling downhill. So, in order to keep our bodies trim and dare we say, toned, we're in a pissing match with Mother Nature. And that means we have to fight for every inch and pound of ground we take.

I've finally got my boots (aerobic shoes) on if you will, and am ready to take the mountain. It's come to the point where I either want this or I don't, and I'm tired of fooling around. God help me, I've got to pull this attitude every minute of the day until it becomes second nature - or will it always be a fight against myself and nature?