Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2009, 08:53 PM   #1261
Senior LCF Member
 
AMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 315
Gallery: AMonkey
Stats: 158/129/125
WOE: Organic Whole Foods
Start Date: October 2008
I scored high enough to press the button on most of the sections. I have noticed a huge increase in well being and energy when taking my supplements. My surgery will be in October or November. The urologist I picked is very popular and I'm still waiting for my first visit.
AMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2009, 08:52 AM   #1262
Senior LCF Member
 
AMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 315
Gallery: AMonkey
Stats: 158/129/125
WOE: Organic Whole Foods
Start Date: October 2008
Eat to Balance Your Hunger Hormones
The hormone leptin is released from your fat cells after you eat to tell your body to stop feeling hungry and start burning calories. So the more leptin the merrier, right? Not exactly. The more fat you have on your body, the more leptin you produce, and excess leptin can eventually cause your body to become resistant. If your body is resistant to leptin, the hormone can't do its job. The goal is to optimize your leptin levels by choosing foods that work to increase your body's sensitivity to leptin and strategically raise levels of it when necessary. Here are a few of the nutrients you should look for.

Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA): This type of omega-3 fatty acid stimulates leptin production by increasing the metabolism of glucose. It's found in cold-water fish, such as wild salmon, mackerel, sardines, and herring. (Farm-raised fish are not a great source of EPA or other omega-3s because their diet makes them produce more omega-6 fatty acids than omega-3s. Omega-6 fatty acids encourage inflammation and can counter the healthful effects of omega-3s.) Other types of omega-3s can cause a temporary dip in leptin levels, which can help you kick-start a sluggish metabolism.

Protein: One study found that increasing protein to 30 percent of total daily calorie intake improved participants' leptin sensitivity, which resulted in overall lowered calorie intake. Good sources of protein include yogurt, Pacific wild salmon, turkey, eggs, and peanut butter.

Zinc: This mineral acts like EPA, in that it raises leptin levels. Oysters, red meat, poultry, beans, nuts, whole grains, fortified breakfast cereals, and dairy products are all good sources of zinc.

Jillian Michaels
__________________
Annette
"You want to get healthy? All you have to do is exercise, eat right & shut up & listen to me!" Jillian Michaels
AMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 09:15 AM   #1263
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
BlueTopaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NE PA
Posts: 3,541
Gallery: BlueTopaz
Stats: 160/156/140
WOE: whatever works
Start Date: 10 years ago - Height 5' 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMonkey View Post
Eat to Balance Your Hunger Hormones
The hormone leptin is released from your fat cells after you eat to tell your body to stop feeling hungry and start burning calories. So the more leptin the merrier, right? Not exactly. The more fat you have on your body, the more leptin you produce, and excess leptin can eventually cause your body to become resistant. If your body is resistant to leptin, the hormone can't do its job. The goal is to optimize your leptin levels by choosing foods that work to increase your body's sensitivity to leptin and strategically raise levels of it when necessary. Here are a few of the nutrients you should look for.

Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA): This type of omega-3 fatty acid stimulates leptin production by increasing the metabolism of glucose. It's found in cold-water fish, such as wild salmon, mackerel, sardines, and herring. (Farm-raised fish are not a great source of EPA or other omega-3s because their diet makes them produce more omega-6 fatty acids than omega-3s. Omega-6 fatty acids encourage inflammation and can counter the healthful effects of omega-3s.) Other types of omega-3s can cause a temporary dip in leptin levels, which can help you kick-start a sluggish metabolism.

Protein: One study found that increasing protein to 30 percent of total daily calorie intake improved participants' leptin sensitivity, which resulted in overall lowered calorie intake. Good sources of protein include yogurt, Pacific wild salmon, turkey, eggs, and peanut butter.

Zinc: This mineral acts like EPA, in that it raises leptin levels. Oysters, red meat, poultry, beans, nuts, whole grains, fortified breakfast cereals, and dairy products are all good sources of zinc.

Jillian Michaels
Annette,

Did you get the Diet Cure book? She talks about the Omegas too.

I take 1 fish oil capsule a day because I usually don't eat seafood more than once a week. I consider it brain pills - so how long till it works? I started 50 mg of zinc about a month ago. Could have sworn my bronchitis went away after that. Too much zinc will deaden your taste buds but at least if you know that, you can cut back. The same with magnesium - if you get diahreaa - cut back - you're on overload.
BlueTopaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 12:18 PM   #1264
Senior LCF Member
 
AMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 315
Gallery: AMonkey
Stats: 158/129/125
WOE: Organic Whole Foods
Start Date: October 2008
I haven't got to the bookstore yet. But I did take the survey using the link you posted.

We're going to a friend's house today, and my husband always ends up getting pizza or something equally as tempting and out-of-bounds. So I'm grabbing a Vivanno on the way and packing a lunch.

I've been reading Caesar Millan's books, and have started watching his show. I'd seen a few shows before, but am just now getting serious about being the pack leader of my doggie troupe. I just started exercising the dogs as I should (2x a day). The dogs are much happier and content now. I live in a very hilly neighborhood, so the walks are good exercise.

I wish I could add to the troupe, but the dogs are older, and I'm not sure it would be a good idea. My friend's mom works with a German Shepard rescue group in PA. One of these days, I'll be on a plane to PA to pick up a pup who needs a new home.
AMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 07:13 AM   #1265
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
BlueTopaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NE PA
Posts: 3,541
Gallery: BlueTopaz
Stats: 160/156/140
WOE: whatever works
Start Date: 10 years ago - Height 5' 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMonkey View Post
I haven't got to the bookstore yet. But I did take the survey using the link you posted.

We're going to a friend's house today, and my husband always ends up getting pizza or something equally as tempting and out-of-bounds. So I'm grabbing a Vivanno on the way and packing a lunch.

I've been reading Caesar Millan's books, and have started watching his show. I'd seen a few shows before, but am just now getting serious about being the pack leader of my doggie troupe. I just started exercising the dogs as I should (2x a day). The dogs are much happier and content now. I live in a very hilly neighborhood, so the walks are good exercise.

I wish I could add to the troupe, but the dogs are older, and I'm not sure it would be a good idea. My friend's mom works with a German Shepard rescue group in PA. One of these days, I'll be on a plane to PA to pick up a pup who needs a new home.
What's a Vivano? I didn't know you were into dogs. I love them! If you get near the Reading, PA area, look me up. I live in the suburbs close to it.
I also live on a steep hill. It would be a 9.5 incline equivalent on the tread machine My 4 yr old boxer had been running last winter outside like a maniac and since then, she's hasn't been able to put her weight on her right knee especially if she runs again and then lays down for a while. Took her to the vet and though her ligaments aren't torn completely - they are worn. No x rays then - just anti-inflammatory pills for dogs and glucosamine. As long as she's on the anti inflammatory pills, she's fine but when she's out of them - it comes back. We've been limiting her walkiing and running as well all this time. I have to make another appointment for the vet and possible get x rays. I hope she doesn't have arthritis or needs an operation.

I tried to go low carb yesterday since I wasn't exercising and did good until the evening when my husband suggested a little date. We went to a favorite Mexican Restaurant and I had some nachos and shared a mexican dessert called Xango. It's two deep fried cannollis filled with cheesecake filling and a big dip of vanilla ice cream topped with whipped cream, chocolate and cinnamon sauce. Hubby ate the ice cream and whipped cream and I ate the cannolli's :blush: plus I had a raspberri margarita. Sinfully delious. Didn't even weight myself this morning and don't wanna I gotta get back on the exercise and eating program. Since my daughter moved out, I've been off track.
__________________
Blue Topaz
BlueTopaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 07:16 AM   #1266
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
BlueTopaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NE PA
Posts: 3,541
Gallery: BlueTopaz
Stats: 160/156/140
WOE: whatever works
Start Date: 10 years ago - Height 5' 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by atkinsgoddess View Post
I don't have any of them-scored low on all...

Had a food fest last night, brought on by wine, and this weekend have two picnics to go to. Still haven't weighed.

Annette, good wishes going your way for your operation. When is it?
Good for you that you passed every malady - you're a healthy gal!

I gotta re-read the whole book and figure out my new supplement bag of goods. At least most of them are only for 3 months (amino acids for example).
BlueTopaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 07:20 AM   #1267
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
BlueTopaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NE PA
Posts: 3,541
Gallery: BlueTopaz
Stats: 160/156/140
WOE: whatever works
Start Date: 10 years ago - Height 5' 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMonkey View Post
I scored high enough to press the button on most of the sections. I have noticed a huge increase in well being and energy when taking my supplements. My surgery will be in October or November. The urologist I picked is very popular and I'm still waiting for my first visit.
Yeah, I feel better with supplements too. I just have to organize what to take when. Sometimes I run out of time by the time I go to bed to take them all. I know you shouldn't take some together because they cancel each other out and some work the best taken together (like calcium and magnesium, B and C vitamins) Maybe I'll get one of those plastic pill dividers that have am and pm for each day. Then I'll feel like a old person on presciption meds which is why I didn't do it before.
BlueTopaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:36 AM   #1268
Senior LCF Member
 
AMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 315
Gallery: AMonkey
Stats: 158/129/125
WOE: Organic Whole Foods
Start Date: October 2008
Vivanno is the brand name of the Starbucks smoothie. There's 3 flavors, but I only get the strawberry banana. It is made with milk, whey protein, strawberry puree and fresh banana. Sometimes I add green tea matcha. It's about 280 calories (less if you go with non fat milk) and a fast, easy way to get protein loaded into your system. My husband makes a smoothie at home every morning. But I get up earlier than him and don't want to make noise with the blender and take the time to clean the blender. I know, it sounds lame, but I'd rather spend my time walking the dogs instead of cleaning the kitchen.

That cannoli dessert is right up my alley.
AMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:01 AM   #1269
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
BlueTopaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NE PA
Posts: 3,541
Gallery: BlueTopaz
Stats: 160/156/140
WOE: whatever works
Start Date: 10 years ago - Height 5' 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMonkey View Post
Vivanno is the brand name of the Starbucks smoothie. There's 3 flavors, but I only get the strawberry banana. It is made with milk, whey protein, strawberry puree and fresh banana. Sometimes I add green tea matcha. It's about 280 calories (less if you go with non fat milk) and a fast, easy way to get protein loaded into your system. My husband makes a smoothie at home every morning. But I get up earlier than him and don't want to make noise with the blender and take the time to clean the blender. I know, it sounds lame, but I'd rather spend my time walking the dogs instead of cleaning the kitchen.

That cannoli dessert is right up my alley.
I love smoothies too but don't drink them much but that one with the protein sounds like a winner for "before the gym" since I need carbs and sugars. There is a Starbucks close to the gym. Great idea. Here's the nutritional website on Starbucks:

starbucks® beverages | Starbucks Coffee Company

I usually just get Venti Decaf with SF vanilla. After my 2 cups of instant Folgers regular when I wake up, I switch to decaf. Do you notice that caffeine spikes your hunger? Very much so for me. It helps me choke down breakfast. But, I like the taste so I don't mind decaf but I should be drinking more water. That would take care of my water weight issue.

Going to daughter's house. DH was supposed to mow the grass but it's a rainout. I'm making her Meditterean bread in my machine now. I'm still finding things of hers here at our house. I probaly find them 5 yrs from now.
BlueTopaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 04:42 PM   #1270
Senior LCF Member
 
AMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 315
Gallery: AMonkey
Stats: 158/129/125
WOE: Organic Whole Foods
Start Date: October 2008
Thanks for the link to the nutrition page. I think I'm going to try the banana mango one soon. I've been going a little nuts buying stuff every workday from the Starbucks next to work, so I'm going to take a break and make my smoothies in the morning. My husband told me not to worry about cleaning the blender.

We went shopping today and I bought my food carefully so I could make sure to bring my lunch and snack to work every day.

I seem to be over the infection and am ready to get back to my workout routine.

Coffee doesn't make me hungry - to the contrary, it kills my appetite EXCEPT for my brain appetite that keeps thinking I'm going to dunk a donut into that coffee.
AMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:57 AM   #1271
Major LCF Poster!
 
Scotty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New England
Posts: 1,336
Gallery: Scotty
Stats: 174/160.9/140- 5' 7.5" born in 1946
WOE: Enjoying JUDDD's freedom after years of low carb
Start Date: Every day!!! JUDD start 1/13/12
Still struggling, or rather still screwing up. My report for the last week is: cals 1630; fat 47%; carbs 13%, and protein 19%. Also alcohol...
More social stuff and personal stuff lately. Did the fat fast yesterday, and it's odd-although I think about food all day, I must say I am not really hungry. BAck on track today, but going to Margarita's on Wed. with the Red Hat group. I am not a fan of Mexican food, but I like Margaritas....
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:41 AM   #1272
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
BlueTopaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NE PA
Posts: 3,541
Gallery: BlueTopaz
Stats: 160/156/140
WOE: whatever works
Start Date: 10 years ago - Height 5' 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by atkinsgoddess View Post
Still struggling, or rather still screwing up. My report for the last week is: cals 1630; fat 47%; carbs 13%, and protein 19%. Also alcohol...
More social stuff and personal stuff lately. Did the fat fast yesterday, and it's odd-although I think about food all day, I must say I am not really hungry. BAck on track today, but going to Margarita's on Wed. with the Red Hat group. I am not a fan of Mexican food, but I like Margaritas....
Went to the gym this morning to do 1/2 hr treadmill w/incline. Boss wanted me to pick up lunch at Sheetz. Eating now...pretzel grilled club - garlic fries - ughhh - not diet food but tasty. I gotta get my sugars back in after workouts, right? LOL! Going to gym after work too.

I also went to WalMart to get a smaller crockpot. I gave my little one to my daughter. It's nice to throw it all together in the morning and when I come home - it's done. Ordered some crockpot cookbooks too for more variety.

Do you girls wear red hats when you go out? How does one join that group?

Sorry to hear you're having personal issues. If you want to talk about it, you can PM me.
BlueTopaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:26 AM   #1273
Major LCF Poster!
 
Scotty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New England
Posts: 1,336
Gallery: Scotty
Stats: 174/160.9/140- 5' 7.5" born in 1946
WOE: Enjoying JUDDD's freedom after years of low carb
Start Date: Every day!!! JUDD start 1/13/12
We wear purple outfits and red hats-some are quite outlandish!! Sometimes boas..
To join, you just find a group, or start one your self. You must be 50, but you can be a "lady in waiting" and wear lavendar and pink until you hit fifty.

I recently bought a larger size cp than my 34 year old nile green one-never used that one much as it was taller than wide. I know people seem to like the real small ones-1 quart or so? I like the idea of cpotting but somehow the foods, although tender, don't seem to have as much flavor, and exude a LOT of juice, which I would rather be in the meat. Convenient, though.
__________________
"Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death." Auntie Mame

"If you're afraid of butter, add a little cream" Julia Child

Last edited by Scotty; 08-10-2009 at 09:29 AM..
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 03:53 PM   #1274
Senior LCF Member
 
dbglasgow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Belize, Central America but I am from Helena, Alabama
Posts: 849
Gallery: dbglasgow
Stats: 170/165/145 5'8"
WOE: Low Carb/Yeast Free/Clean eating
Start Date: July 2009/re-start July 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitedov1208 View Post
Yep, it looks good!

I studied and was on the Blood Type Diet for a while - though I didn't lose weight. I believe some of the principles and it's more if you have a chronic disease. There are some factors as far as health maintenance and diet that is helpful information and author of "The Diet Cure" book I'm reading also advocates his concepts.

O Blood Type - the 1st blood type of primitative man - is genetically structured to eat basically just meat (protein) and veggies with some berries and nuts. They don't do well with wheat and most grains because of the lectins in wheat "could" adversly affect the way their body processes and cause health issues and weight gain.

Since you are a B type - they can tolerate "mixed" bag of most proteins (except for chicken) and carbs (older grains like millet, oats) and most fruits. Actually B's have a nice array of foods to choose from - more than the others.

A types - do well on soy and can be the most successfully healthy vegetarians. B's don't do well on soy. O's typically do not do well on vegetarian diets because of their strong need for protein - something that vegetarians have a hard time with plus vegetarians basically eat carbo foods.

That's about it in a nutshell.

How's everyone doing today?
Hi.. I am actually just lurking here but I had not heard anyone reference the "Blood type diet" in years... I read up on this years ago and that is actually why I originally started my Atkins Diet. I am type O and I've found that I don't tolerate carbs well at all. I am eating very, very low carbs right now and I feel better than I've ever felt and the weight is coming off.
dbglasgow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 06:31 AM   #1275
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
BlueTopaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NE PA
Posts: 3,541
Gallery: BlueTopaz
Stats: 160/156/140
WOE: whatever works
Start Date: 10 years ago - Height 5' 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbglasgow View Post
Hi.. I am actually just lurking here but I had not heard anyone reference the "Blood type diet" in years... I read up on this years ago and that is actually why I originally started my Atkins Diet. I am type O and I've found that I don't tolerate carbs well at all. I am eating very, very low carbs right now and I feel better than I've ever felt and the weight is coming off.
I am still intrigued by it but like I said in the other post, while I followed the diet for 3-4 months, I didn't notice any difference in wellness or weight loss. I ended up eating more "neutral foods" which was spelt, beets and other carby foods. Eating from the list of "beneficial" probably would have made a change; however, very limiting.
BlueTopaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 06:36 AM   #1276
Major LCF Poster!
 
Scotty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New England
Posts: 1,336
Gallery: Scotty
Stats: 174/160.9/140- 5' 7.5" born in 1946
WOE: Enjoying JUDDD's freedom after years of low carb
Start Date: Every day!!! JUDD start 1/13/12
Good low cal/carb yesterday. Trying again...
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 06:43 AM   #1277
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
BlueTopaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NE PA
Posts: 3,541
Gallery: BlueTopaz
Stats: 160/156/140
WOE: whatever works
Start Date: 10 years ago - Height 5' 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by atkinsgoddess View Post
We wear purple outfits and red hats-some are quite outlandish!! Sometimes boas..
To join, you just find a group, or start one your self. You must be 50, but you can be a "lady in waiting" and wear lavendar and pink until you hit fifty.

I recently bought a larger size cp than my 34 year old nile green one-never used that one much as it was taller than wide. I know people seem to like the real small ones-1 quart or so? I like the idea of cpotting but somehow the foods, although tender, don't seem to have as much flavor, and exude a LOT of juice, which I would rather be in the meat. Convenient, though.
This morning I threw the ingredients in my new 4 qt crockpot for a Low Carb Stroganoff. I prepped last night after the gym. I had a crockpot before I was married (26 yrs ago) and have just used it for roasts and traded it with my boss for his large oval. Now that I bought a couple of cookbooks, I have more choices. Everyone is amazed how I can take a tough piece of meat and make it tender in the CP. I never thought it seemed tasteless - quite the opposite. I do tend to add more spices in the pot which mellows out after 8 hrs.

I'm planning on making polish Golumpkies (sp?) - stuffed cabbage and homemade baked beans for DH.soon. The beans I'll eat when I have gym days.

Worked by butt off at gym yesterday - treadmill for 30 mins in the morning and then after work - treadmill, weights and more treadmill, sauna and shower. Feel stiff this morning...slept like a log last night. Had strange dream this morning- gonna try to figure it out. Many times my dreams symbolize something that will happen the next day - not always, but alot.

My set point in my weight has always been 144 and that's what I weight this morning. Don't know if it's muscle weight or water weight but for sure, my carbs have been up. I feel "solid" rather than bloated. Tummy is flat at least this morning. I'll take some magnesium now and see if I can blow off 4 lbs in an hour like a week ago.
BlueTopaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:46 PM   #1278
Senior LCF Member
 
AMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 315
Gallery: AMonkey
Stats: 158/129/125
WOE: Organic Whole Foods
Start Date: October 2008
I actually stuck to my eating plan today and boy was I a crab! I have such a huge appetite! Arg!

But the dogs and I had two great half hour walks at a brisk pace and I did a half hour on the elliptical like a mad woman.

I think I need to go to a bread 12 step program! I'm not eating pasta or white rice, or anything like that - so I guess that's something.

I think there's something to the Blood Type plan. It does make some sense.

BTW - The magnesium pills are a life saver! No matter how much water I drink - things just don't go as I would like (if you catch my drift). I think that my bladder is pressing on things and making trouble!

Annette
AMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 03:55 AM   #1279
Major LCF Poster!
 
Scotty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New England
Posts: 1,336
Gallery: Scotty
Stats: 174/160.9/140- 5' 7.5" born in 1946
WOE: Enjoying JUDDD's freedom after years of low carb
Start Date: Every day!!! JUDD start 1/13/12
Another <1300 cal day yest. Eating chix breast instead of hamburger sure makes a difference. Keeping my fat up.

I got calcium with magnesium in in so I'm not taking the extra. I don't know if things have slowed down cuz of that or cuz I'm so low carb.
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 04:16 AM   #1280
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
BlueTopaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NE PA
Posts: 3,541
Gallery: BlueTopaz
Stats: 160/156/140
WOE: whatever works
Start Date: 10 years ago - Height 5' 7"
August 12, 2009

Well, since yesterday, I'm down 2 lbs.

Food yesterday:

B: Atkins bar - was not hungry at all so this was a force-down.
L: Homemade boneless pork ribs w/hickory b sauce, 1 red beet egg and 1/2 cup watermelon
S: 10-15 mixed nuts
S: Whopper Jr. no bun
D: 1 cup Beef, cabbage low carb stroganoff from crockpot and 1/2 cup buttered low carb DreamFields pasta- net 5 gram carb.
S: Breyers LC ice cream bar
S: 1/2 cantaloupe

Went lower carb yesterday due to taking a break from exercising. Except for the fruits.

Donna: With only 1300 calories yesterday, did you notice a weight change? Is eating lower calories helping you lose?

Annette: What eating plan are you on? Me? I dunno Just trying to lower my carbs on off exercise days and upping the carbs on exercise days. Trying is the operative word. I know what you're saying...these summer time cravings are out of control. I am hearing it from EVERYONE!

I take extra magnesium and I eliminate POUNDS (if you know what I mean I wonder where it all comes from??? I don't eat THAT much!!! As soon as you get diahreahh - lay off - too much. That isn't even happening.
BlueTopaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 05:53 AM   #1281
Major LCF Poster!
 
Scotty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New England
Posts: 1,336
Gallery: Scotty
Stats: 174/160.9/140- 5' 7.5" born in 1946
WOE: Enjoying JUDDD's freedom after years of low carb
Start Date: Every day!!! JUDD start 1/13/12
2 pounds down with that amount of food??? WOW!

I still haven't weighed-afraid, and don't want to be upset by it-will probably weigh this weekend. I was probably up so much after the eating extravaganza, that I am probably back where I was a month ago...or two months ago....or 7 months ago....

Looked at their menu and I may just get one of their dinner salads and ice tea or something. You know how much I love salads....and I'd rather have none than just one drink.

Last edited by Scotty; 08-12-2009 at 05:54 AM..
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:48 AM   #1282
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
BlueTopaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NE PA
Posts: 3,541
Gallery: BlueTopaz
Stats: 160/156/140
WOE: whatever works
Start Date: 10 years ago - Height 5' 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by atkinsgoddess View Post
2 pounds down with that amount of food??? WOW!

I still haven't weighed-afraid, and don't want to be upset by it-will probably weigh this weekend. I was probably up so much after the eating extravaganza, that I am probably back where I was a month ago...or two months ago....or 7 months ago....

Looked at their menu and I may just get one of their dinner salads and ice tea or something. You know how much I love salads....and I'd rather have none than just one drink.
I would rather have a drink than salads too but I force myself because raw veggies is good fiber. Of course to make up for having the salad, I load lots of dressing on it.

This morning I was hungry so I had 2 cheesy egg bakes and 3 Jimmy Dean pre-cooked sausages. Probably will go out for lunch - where and what I'll have - who knows? Diners seem to be the best choice where I can order meat and 2 veggies; however, there isn't many good ones close to work and the one is really a bar restaurant with a wide variety of good seafood - it costs a small fortune. We'll see...of course, if we go there, I will be ordering a drink.

My boxer Safi has been having knee problems from overrunning this past Dec and when she lays down after exercise and gets up, she can't put alot of weight on her right knee. Saw a vet last April and she said she didn't completely tear a tendon but it feels partially torn so the vet put her on an anti-inflammatory pill for 4 weeks (2 week intervals) which she did fine as long as she took the meds. But it's not for long term use and last night, she begged to go back and chase the varmits in the woods, begged for a 2nd walk and when she got up from laying down later - she yelped and couldn't walk. Then it straightened out. I already had a appointment set up for 9/1 for an X ray - however, I called them today and since it's an emergency - they'll let me bring her in tomorrow. My nerves are on edge. Safi isn't a complainer - she had several bladder infections and didn't winced or whine and for the past 6 months though her knee bothered her, she didn't cry - so last night when she yelped, that scared the living Sh%%% out of us. She's walking softly now and still wants to play "chase" around the house which I won't engage her in but looks sad. I gave her a 81mg aspirin per the vet's advice till tomorrow.

Do you have any dogs Donna? I know Annette does. Did any of you hear such a thing with a dog's knees? I also have her on glucosmine - joint and muscle supplement but it hasn't done much. She was tested for lyme disease and that came up negative.

Sorry to vent - just a worried mom.


It's ironic...that our pets get the same symptoms as us. I HAD knee problems on and off for 5 yrs (not anymore) and during the time she had bladder infection, I had a bladder infection too. They say our pets try to take our pain. I truly believe that.
BlueTopaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 12:05 PM   #1283
Major LCF Poster!
 
Scotty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New England
Posts: 1,336
Gallery: Scotty
Stats: 174/160.9/140- 5' 7.5" born in 1946
WOE: Enjoying JUDDD's freedom after years of low carb
Start Date: Every day!!! JUDD start 1/13/12
Have not had a dog in years, since my Cockapoo Mandy died. We have had two much loved cats, Stewart, an orange tabby whom I still miss, and our present cat, Henry, a gorgeous buff tabby with fur like a mink coat, who sleeps in my arms every night and follows us everywhere.

I do know dogs get arthritis, and larger dogs have particular situations. You can look on animal planet and they might have some info on boxers.
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:57 PM   #1284
Senior LCF Member
 
AMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 315
Gallery: AMonkey
Stats: 158/129/125
WOE: Organic Whole Foods
Start Date: October 2008
My Cocker has had hips problems, but so far we have not experienced knee problems. The doctor should be able to diagnose the cause and prescribe a course of action. It may require some down time to allow the knee to mend. There are great physical therapists out there to help with recuperation if surgery is required.

I'll be thinking of you and your pup.

I'm just sticking to 1200 - 1300 calories and exercising. I guess I should be paying more attention to the ratios. I'm really enjoying my membership on Jillian Michaels website. She has some great recipes. Too bad I don't cook. My food focus is on organic fruits, vegetables, meats and whole grains. I've got to keep the breads to a minimum - an instant weight-gain food for me.
AMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 07:10 AM   #1285
Major LCF Poster!
 
Scotty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New England
Posts: 1,336
Gallery: Scotty
Stats: 174/160.9/140- 5' 7.5" born in 1946
WOE: Enjoying JUDDD's freedom after years of low carb
Start Date: Every day!!! JUDD start 1/13/12
I am up net about a pound from 7/31 till today. I don't think I will complain, although high days have certainly been counteracted by very low days and the FFast, which I think I will do tomorrow.

I put some herbs/spices on a whole chicken yest, and will put it in the crockpot per instx here on the board-foil down, bird on top. How many hours at low do you think a 7lb bird will need?

Very quiet here the last couple days.

Did ok at the restaurant-3 margaritas, a small (free) bean quesadilla and a few chips. cals were about 1600 but carbs were I think 78. Back to low carb/cal the last two days. Had a nice tilapia last night that I coated with mayo/sour cream/parm/parsley and broiled. Good. Had some radish hash browns with it.
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 08:39 AM   #1286
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
BlueTopaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NE PA
Posts: 3,541
Gallery: BlueTopaz
Stats: 160/156/140
WOE: whatever works
Start Date: 10 years ago - Height 5' 7"
I don't know how long it takes - I just turn it on low in the morning and 8 hrs later when I come home it's done. I take it out and put it in the oven to crisp for 15 mins on 400.
BlueTopaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 09:16 AM   #1287
Senior LCF Member
 
AMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 315
Gallery: AMonkey
Stats: 158/129/125
WOE: Organic Whole Foods
Start Date: October 2008
Hi guys! How's the puppy? Diagnosis?

Thanks for the reminder. I'm working out my meal plan to fit the recommended 40 Carbs-30 Fat -30 Protein. Unlike you two talented ladies, I don't cook - so need to find a plan that allows me to piece together my meal.

I tried to flip an egg in the frying pan this week - splat!

Annette
AMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 10:45 AM   #1288
Major LCF Poster!
 
Scotty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New England
Posts: 1,336
Gallery: Scotty
Stats: 174/160.9/140- 5' 7.5" born in 1946
WOE: Enjoying JUDDD's freedom after years of low carb
Start Date: Every day!!! JUDD start 1/13/12
I am in LOVE with fage!! Was able to find the full fat kind. YUM! That's my love-foods that are rich but not necessarily sweet; that's why LC works for me. Higher carbs, but worth it.

Annette-flipping an egg in the pan isn't easy-don't be discouraged.

It's so funny-when I do the FF I am not really hungry. Think about food alot though...

DD and family from Chicago are going to visit for a week starting Wednesday. I am taking vacation time, and am putting together an itinerary of things to do with Andrew and Maxwell. One of the brokers I work with does great things with his kids, so he is my go-to person. I am hoping to keep on track, but I'm not going to go nuts either.

DH says he might be interested in joining the health club!! If I can pry him out some day, we'll go check it out. I just worry that I wouldn't use it. I remember how much I hated schlepping over to Curves after a hard days' work..

Lajinski-I started taking coQ10. Haven't seen any changes, and right now can't remember why Dr. A recommended it...

I have lots of energy and feel great, and young.... (remember, I'm almost 63, but we Boomers never think we'll grow old)-and this is on about 4 hours' sleep per night... I don't know if it's the woe or just me. Whatever, I'll take it.
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 05:50 AM   #1289
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
BlueTopaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NE PA
Posts: 3,541
Gallery: BlueTopaz
Stats: 160/156/140
WOE: whatever works
Start Date: 10 years ago - Height 5' 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by atkinsgoddess View Post
I am in LOVE with fage!! Was able to find the full fat kind. YUM! That's my love-foods that are rich but not necessarily sweet; that's why LC works for me. Higher carbs, but worth it.

Annette-flipping an egg in the pan isn't easy-don't be discouraged.

It's so funny-when I do the FF I am not really hungry. Think about food alot though...

DD and family from Chicago are going to visit for a week starting Wednesday. I am taking vacation time, and am putting together an itinerary of things to do with Andrew and Maxwell. One of the brokers I work with does great things with his kids, so he is my go-to person. I am hoping to keep on track, but I'm not going to go nuts either.

DH says he might be interested in joining the health club!! If I can pry him out some day, we'll go check it out. I just worry that I wouldn't use it. I remember how much I hated schlepping over to Curves after a hard days' work..

Lajinski-I started taking coQ10. Haven't seen any changes, and right now can't remember why Dr. A recommended it...

I have lots of energy and feel great, and young.... (remember, I'm almost 63, but we Boomers never think we'll grow old)-and this is on about 4 hours' sleep per night... I don't know if it's the woe or just me. Whatever, I'll take it.
Donna: I'm glad to hear you are feeling young and something about the FF does curb your appetite.

I went less than 20g carbs Friday and the next day I visabaly noticed my tummy bloat disappeared. Does carbs make most people bloaty?

I take that CoQ10 myself - I forget what its supposed to do. The only supplement that I feel any different on is my beloved magnesium. There is physical proof that it works - LOL!

I went to a birthday party on my husband's side of the family and they had the usual faire...hot dogs and barbeque. I ate one of each with a bun and ate alot of monterey jack cheese. This was at 3:00. They only had wine - not the hard/low carb stuff so I had about 3 glasses. I rarely got a buzz - ummm maybe for a minute. I seem to be getting immune...scary. However, I noticed if I eat fat and cheese before I drink, I rarely get buzzed. That was my weapon when I was young and went out drinking with my friends. Eat grease so you don't get drunk and it prevents a headache. Anyway, by 7:00 I was hungry again so I baked off a chicken breast w/skin and bone and had a salad. Later I wanted something chocolate so I had a Atkins bar. People can say what they will about Atkins bars but if I want chocolate, it's a better alternative than a regular chocolate candy bar. BTW: I skipped out on the birthday cake. I'm not a store made birthday cake person anyway. If I want cake (in the past) I would just bake a moist chocolate cake with chocolate icing - eat 1 piece and freeze the rest.

Annette: The appointment was posponed until Monday. I must take her in then. She's been on Dermoxx anti inflammotry pain killer since Thurs and today she is really frisky. But yesterday, while I had her on the lead out front to do her bathroom duties, she laid down on the gararge floor and when I came out, she sprung up - and yelped again and was walking crooked. Then it straigtened out. I"ll let you know about Safi hopefully by tomorrow night. Thanks for asking.


Donna: I almost forgot...I had a dream about you and your husband yesterday morning. It was interesting. My computer wants to shut down for updates...gotta run.

Later Gators!
BlueTopaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 05:58 AM   #1290
Major LCF Poster!
 
Scotty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New England
Posts: 1,336
Gallery: Scotty
Stats: 174/160.9/140- 5' 7.5" born in 1946
WOE: Enjoying JUDDD's freedom after years of low carb
Start Date: Every day!!! JUDD start 1/13/12
Linda, what was the dream???

I think it's funny that none of us knows why we should take the coQ, but all are taking it...I really have never noticed that the mag. does much...

Ended up going over the Beth's last night, so, so much for the FF. We had fantastic ribeyes-I must have had over half a pound-and our wonderful South Glastonbury corn-just one ear-gotta do it in the summer. But it was the delicious red wine (and vodka) that put the carbs and cals over the top.

The crockpot chicken came out well-7 lbs on high for about 4.5 hours I think. I have used this one more times in a year than I did the old one in 30!
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:29 AM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.