Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2009, 02:03 PM   #1231
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lajinski
Stats: 147/143.5/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 23, 2009
also

Linda - I forgot that I wanted to say I think you're doing really well with your daughter leaving the nest. My mom called a million times a day and then would get mad and every little thing. She's better now, thank goodness, but at first she had a horrible, horrible time with it.

Nothing to exciting this weekend, except my friend coming over for dinner. But I'm counting down to my CA vacation so that's got most of my attention!!!
lajinski is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2009, 08:20 PM   #1232
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AMonkey
Stats: 158/129/125
WOE: Organic Whole Foods
Start Date: October 2008
No kids at home. The youngest is 25.
My return to exercise has been OK. I need to build up my strength and endurance. It's amazing how fast we can get out of shape.
AMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 04:02 AM   #1233
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BlueTopaz
Stats: 160/156/140
WOE: whatever works
Start Date: 10 years ago - Height 5' 7"
Donna,

How was your weight after your carbo weekend? Any change?
Maybe a little outfit? How old is he
?

Last edited by BlueTopaz; 08-04-2009 at 04:35 AM..
BlueTopaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 04:22 AM   #1234
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

LA,

May I ask your real name or do you want me to call you LA?

Yep, probably the book you've got is the newer version. The 1972 version is out of print and can only be gotten online used say at Amazon. If after this next attempt you are not losing the way you want to, I would advise the 1972 version. That's what happened to me...the 2002 version wasn't cutting it and so I found a link on this website to get me started on the 1972 version, then I ordered the book. I lost 6 lbs in 1 week and even since then diverted and it seem to be holding pretty steady except for the same 3 lbs that I gain and lose during the course of the week. Make sure you take a multi-vitamin because you are lacking nutrients staying on Induction for a spell. It wouldn't hurt to take a Fiber pill every other day for low carbers lack fiber - not much in meats, none in cheese, not enough in salads. Also, if you experience leg or foot cramps, take potassium in the form of a pill or liquid. Make sure you drink lots of water for water is a fat burner plus it's the way to flush out the ketones (fat toxins) while you are on Induction.

Here I am sounding like your mother! Thanks for the compliment. Yesterday was sad but I resisted calling her. My husband even was sad yesterday at work thinking about her. He was egging me to call her and I said why don't you? LOL. But tonight I"ll be there with the Peanut Butter Tandy Cake (be-lated birthday cake) for my future son in law.

So, you're from CA originally? Why and when did you move to NY? I dream of living out west like Annette (from Nevada). I visited Arizona 6 yrs ago and loved it. Sorry, if I sound nosy - I am.

Don't feel back about the cake icing and 1 lb gain on scale. It's just water weight. It takes 3500 extra calories to gain a pound. I doubt you ate that much more. If you stay pure on Atkins, before you know it, you won't even crave sweets. I rarely do anymore except when I get TOM and then it just lasts for a day.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:34 AM   #1235
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Annette, you look too young to have your youngest at 25!!! When did you get started? 15? Anyway, how did you take them leaving home?

Donna, you helped me when you said that these years are the best.

My boss said "your crying over THAT pain in the A##! He is 4 kids and calls them that so much his youngest (boy) thought that's what his name was when he was a toddler!

But I think it's different when you just have 1 kid and they leave. I went into her room last night to clean the tumble weed of dust off the woodwork and it was really "spooky". DH promised me we'd do a lot of things together and have little dates after work meeting each other like we're not married. Uh huh..... Linda rolls eyes

Annette, yes - you are right about how easy it is to fall out of shape. I went to the gym last week only 2x and haven't been back since last Wed. I was going to go this morning but I have that cake to take to work and the chocolate topping will melt if I go to the gym first. So...maybe tomrorow. My legs feel even more flabby these past 5 days. Ugghhh...but I got to remember that after not exercising for 2-3 years and then joining the gym just in May - that it didn't take long for me to get back IN SHAPE. It will be that way for you too - give it 2 weeks and you'll be good to go.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:08 AM   #1236
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Scotty
Stats: 174/160.9/140- 5' 7.5" born in 1946
WOE: Enjoying JUDDD's freedom after years of low carb
Start Date: Every day!!! JUDD start 1/13/12
Linda, I haven't weighed the past two days so I don't know. Going to wait another day or two. With my history, I probably gained 5...

One of my brokers suggested a colllectible coin from his birth year and that's what I got. I would have gotten one for my other grandson and the grandson to be, but their years were twice as much!

I had a very low cal day yesterday-had a grilled boneless breast for supper and a small cuke salad; ended at 1023 cals; 51% fat (too low???) 2% carbs and 46% protein. Wasn't hungry at the end of the day!!!

"If you're afraid of butter, add a little cream" Julia Child
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 06:45 AM   #1237
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Amazing - you did not feel hungry? Maybe it was the fiber in the cukes? Eat more of those babies - they have lots of fiber especially if you leave the skin on. Do you eat any fruit? There is a person on a board I write to that she was your weight and height, doing Atkins and is now at 139 lbs and holding steady. She eats alot of fruit. She doesn't exercise either. I am wondering about this fiber factor and how this might affect losing weight plus tricking the brain that you are full and suppressing appetite.

Yesterday I ate zero carbs during the day and at night before bed, I had 2 cups of strawberries - which filled me. Usually I must have a protein with my fruit or else it triggers hungry but not last night. I am not even hungry for breakfast this morning but will eat a little cottage cheese. I'm eating low carb during the days I don't exercise and eating carbs on the days I do exercise. My weight is staying the same but my fat % is lower. According to Tom Venuto the body builder - he would say that's great because I am not losing muscle mass - just fat. I still want to wittle away 5-10 lbs and keep building my muscle and losing the fat.

I am still on the fence about calories...the more I read, the more it says that eating low calorie won't help with weight loss - just muscle loss. But I wonder if that holds true for people that exercise alot and not those that don't. With the amount of exercise I am getting, I would still like to know what my daily caloric count should be. The Diet Cure book says at least 2100 calories but she's taking into consideration 30 min of exercise 5 days a week. I am not doing that at this point. I would like to work up to 5 days a week of cardio (ughh) and 3 days a week on weight machines.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:48 AM   #1238
Senior LCF Member

I think we can approximate the needed calories, but it's different for each person. And our weight loss is impacted by genetics (muscle type), hormones, nutrients, e.g., is our body lacking the required nutrients (is our body out of balance?) and lifestyle , e.g. have we burned out our Leptin* receptors? What medications are we taking?

I'm taking a low dose of Estrogen and an anti-depressant (runs in the family). So I'm taking two things that promote weight gain.

And of course, as we age, Mother Nature dictates that we eat less. Our bodies are designed to procreate and kick off at 40. So, we're bucking nature all the way.

I'll get off my soap box now :blush:.

Annette

* To understand leptin resistance, you first have to understand the role the hormone leptin plays in your metabolism. When you've eaten a meal, the fat cells throughout your body release leptin, which travels to the hypothalamus, the part of your brain that helps regulate appetite. There, it switches off neuropeptide Y — a protein that tells your brain you're hungry — and switches on appetite-suppressing signals. In other words, it gives your brain the message to stop being hungry and start burning calories.

You'd think, then, that low levels of leptin would be the cause of an unstoppable appetite, but that's not necessarily the case. Some research indicates that many people who are overweight actually have very high levels of leptin. How could this be? Well, the more fat you have, the more leptin you produce. And when the body continually cranks out excess levels of leptin in response to overeating, the receptors for leptin in the hypothalamus can start to get worn out and no longer recognize it. People with leptin resistance have high circulating levels of leptin, but the receptors are "deaf" to it, so it can't shut off appetite or stimulate your metabolism.

This vicious circle is similar to what happens when a person develops resistance to insulin, the hormone that allows your cells to use the glucose in your blood. (Insulin resistance can cause high blood glucose levels and eventually lead to diabetes.) In fact, the two conditions often go hand in hand, and research suggests that leptin resistance may be reversed in the same way that insulin resistance can be reversed — by exercising, eating right, and losing weight.

Jillian Michaels
Old 08-04-2009, 08:12 AM   #1239
Junior LCF Member

My name's Jessa! Haha, funny I should have said that before. I weighed myself today and am back at 144, but feeling better (emotionally) about the whole thing. Maybe getting down to 142.5 was just water loss, which I'm now holding. Still not back in ketosis according to the stix. I was going back through my food log and I'm noticing another pattern.

Has anyone ever tried the All Bran Fiber drink mixes? They're individual packets 12 carbs/10 G fiber. I've been counting them as 2 carbs. But I'm wondering if perhaps they're affecting me negatively.

I'm going to skip it today and see if that brings me back into ketosis. Still working out at least 45 min a day, but if nothing changes soon maybe I'll try the '72 version.

I'm originally from San Diego (love it) but moved to NYC last March with my boyfriend...sort of on a whim. Just wanted to do something new for a while. I really love it, but now when I have a vacation back home planned I get excited months in advance!! I love going home.

How did your SIL like the cake?
Old 08-04-2009, 08:19 AM   #1240
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Annette...I love it when you write alot and this is coming from a gabby writer.

The only presciption med I take is Simivastin-20 mg (generic of Zocar) for cholesteral. My cholesteral was at 260 when I was 20 years old and slim at 125 lbs. Doc thinks it's genetic and not diet. However, back then my HDL (good cholesteral) was very high so I was not put on meds until the last 2 yrs when my HDL was low and my LDL (bad cholesteral) was high. I don't know if cholesteral meds cause weight gain. But my body has a propensity for fat storage and the gestation diabetes I had 22 yrs ago is telling of a potential insulin imbalance. So, with those factors in mind, not sure what range of calories is what I should shoot for. Sometimes I think I don't eat enough. When I was in my 20's and 30's - having always had a great appetite, I did not diet, ate plenty, did not do formal exercise but I was constantly on the move and had no weight problem. But, age slows metabolism as well as hormonal changes in peri-meno so in my 40's is when I noticed myself gaining 10-15 lbs.

I'm not as obsessed with the scale at this point - but want to lose the fat, build the muscle and not be hungry in the process. I guess that's where I'm at. When I eat low carb and fats - that takes care of the hunger; however, I worry about the fat I eat and my cholesteral levels thereof since my last blood test a year (after 1 month of Atkins) and it went from 138 to 213 (which I've mentioned before-sorry for the repeat). Another blood test is in order right about now. I have the lab slips ready to get er done.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:29 AM   #1241
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lajinski View Post
My name's Jessa! Haha, funny I should have said that before. I weighed myself today and am back at 144, but feeling better (emotionally) about the whole thing. Maybe getting down to 142.5 was just water loss, which I'm now holding. Still not back in ketosis according to the stix. I was going back through my food log and I'm noticing another pattern.

Has anyone ever tried the All Bran Fiber drink mixes? They're individual packets 12 carbs/10 G fiber. I've been counting them as 2 carbs. But I'm wondering if perhaps they're affecting me negatively.

I'm going to skip it today and see if that brings me back into ketosis. Still working out at least 45 min a day, but if nothing changes soon maybe I'll try the '72 version.

I'm originally from San Diego (love it) but moved to NYC last March with my boyfriend...sort of on a whim. Just wanted to do something new for a while. I really love it, but now when I have a vacation back home planned I get excited months in advance!! I love going home.

How did your SIL like the cake?
Hi Jessa, nice name...

No, I haven't heard of the All Bran Fiber mixes but I would advise to nix them for now. Try to stay away from processed food and low carb bars until you get out of Induction. You don't have alot of carbs to work with during the course of the day and the 15-20 grams should come from natural sources ie., fresh veggies like asparagus, celery, salad greens, a little tomato, cucumbers, brocolli, radishes, spinach and cauliflower. You can make a mashed potato rival by mashing cooked cauliflower and adding a little bit of heavy whipping cream, full fat cheedar cheese and bacon bits (nitrate free bacon that you bake or nuke off).

I'll know how future son in law likes the cake when I go there after work - around 4:30. He had a taste of another batch I made for my husband using Oat Flour and liked it and regular flour is even better. My husband has a food sensitivity to wheat - among alot of other things so that's why I bake his stuff with oat flour.

How tall are you and what other plans have you done?
Do you know your blood type? Sorry for all the questions, but I like to get a total picture of the people I write to.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:19 AM   #1242
Major LCF Poster!

Linda, I am almost always satisfied after dinner, and don't feel hungry, I imagine because I have a lalrge amount of protein-usually 8oz, and some fat. When I really feel hungry is before lunch and sometimes an hour afterwards. No fruit.

How long did it take the other poster to get down? Did she go "off" as often as I? Probably not..
Old 08-04-2009, 09:22 AM   #1243
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitedov1208 View Post
Hi Jessa, nice name...

How tall are you and what other plans have you done?
Do you know your blood type? Sorry for all the questions, but I like to get a total picture of the people I write to.

I'm 5' 6 3/4" so I just say 5'7" usually. Blood type is B Negative. Out of curiosity - how does blood type factor in?

Someone at work today told me it looks like I've lost weight...total motivation booster!
Old 08-04-2009, 09:56 AM   #1244
Junior LCF Member

Also...other plans I've done in the past:

-Cabbage soup (bleh!)
-Weight watchers...2 years (got me down to abou 125 but I was so miserable doing all that calorie counting, it really affected my social life and my emotional state)
-Vegetarian (no egg, no dairy) - i liked this one because i'm really big into salads and veggies but tended to overeat on the "junky" vegetarian foods....fried/"fake" meat, etc.

I was sitting comfortably at 135 (doing a lot of excersize training for a 3-Day Breast Cancer walk) until I met my boyfriend in October of 2007, who eats like a college student (he's almost 28!!). Plus you know how that is.....you get into a new relationship and you stop caring about anything else for a while!! I gained 10 lbs fast and topped out a few months ago at 153. I've spent most of this year getting down to 148 or so then gaining it back.

I should probably also mention that I'm a pretty compulsive overeater. When i started the diet/nutrition thing back in college it sort of downward spiraled into a severe restriction/severe excersize/severe binge eating kind of pattern. Since then I've gone through therapy and had to "quit" the dieting thing for a while, just trying to eat and excersize with moderation...i put my scale away for about a year. I've gotten much better, but I think even as a kid I used food to counteract loneliness/boredum, but the compulsive eating tendencies that period brought out it me have been something I struggle with ever since.

On this WOE I almost never eat compulsively (I know it's a bit early to be saying that). I struggle on the weekends, which tends to be my time where i "reward" myself with food, but I'm working hard to combat that and this WOE really helps, since I'm never hungry and a lot of high fat meals we can eat are very tasty and don't make me feel deprived.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:14 AM   #1245
Junior LCF Member

I just checked my ****** reports for overal and got these results:

Avg Daily Cal: 1407
Fat: 62%
Carbs: 8% (this is total carbs not net carbs)
Protein: 29%

Any idea if this seems right?
Old 08-05-2009, 12:57 PM   #1246
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I just checked my ****** reports for overal and got these results:

Avg Daily Cal: 1407
Fat: 62%
Carbs: 8% (this is total carbs not net carbs)
Protein: 29%

Any idea if this seems right?
Yep, it looks good!

I studied and was on the Blood Type Diet for a while - though I didn't lose weight. I believe some of the principles and it's more if you have a chronic disease. There are some factors as far as health maintenance and diet that is helpful information and author of "The Diet Cure" book I'm reading also advocates his concepts.

O Blood Type - the 1st blood type of primitative man - is genetically structured to eat basically just meat (protein) and veggies with some berries and nuts. They don't do well with wheat and most grains because of the lectins in wheat "could" adversly affect the way their body processes and cause health issues and weight gain.

Since you are a B type - they can tolerate "mixed" bag of most proteins (except for chicken) and carbs (older grains like millet, oats) and most fruits. Actually B's have a nice array of foods to choose from - more than the others.

A types - do well on soy and can be the most successfully healthy vegetarians. B's don't do well on soy. O's typically do not do well on vegetarian diets because of their strong need for protein - something that vegetarians have a hard time with plus vegetarians basically eat carbo foods.

That's about it in a nutshell.

How's everyone doing today?
Old 08-05-2009, 01:26 PM   #1247
Junior LCF Member

doing well. losing again, which is nice! no sugar alcohols for me. i used that recipe site you recommended and ordered some no SA chocolate chips to make those truffle cups for next time the cravings hit.

How about you? Did the cake go over well?
Old 08-06-2009, 06:55 AM   #1248
Major LCF Poster!

Had a higher carb/cal night last night-our native corn is wonderful and for once I HAD ONE!! It was good. Also had some vodka...
cals 1608
fat 49%
carbs 6% 28.1 gross
protein 13%

Wish I was type B....
Old 08-06-2009, 07:28 AM   #1249
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Jessa!

The cake went over well!

I bought those chocolate chips myself on netrition.com months ago but didn't make those chocolate chip cookies I use to crave. Amazing...my cravings for sugar have dimished considerably since low carbing. I have slacked off of doing low carb daily since I work out hard at the gym but as soon as I do - the water weight comes on so I've got to watch it. I know when you do running, jogging and weight machines, you need some carbs to burn or else you are burning up muscle. Setting a reasonable limit to carbs is my next goal. I should be choosing more veggies for carbs as I am preaching to you!

One thing I forgot to tell you is that B Type Blood's are the only types that tolerate, digest and process DAIRY the best. The cheeses that I'm only supposed to eat is Farmers Cheese, Mozzarelli and Feta. My boss is a type B so I'm familiar with the B Type Bloods. He used to poke fun at me because he could eat more variety; however, I am allowed shellfish and all meats; whereas, he could not endulge in shellfish and chicken. With your blood type - the cheese you're allowed on Atkins is consistent with your blood type.

I believe Type O's and B's do very well on Atkins. The other blood types according to the author may not fair out as well.

Glad to hear about your weight loss - keep up the good work!
Old 08-06-2009, 07:41 AM   #1250
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atkinsgoddess View Post
Had a higher carb/cal night last night-our native corn is wonderful and for once I HAD ONE!! It was good. Also had some vodka...
cals 1608
fat 49%
carbs 6% 28.1 gross
protein 13%

Wish I was type B....
How did you reduce your protein? What did you eat instead?

I've got to get back on track with the Protein Power. I lose weight the fastest with it - 10 carbs every 4 hrs for a total of 30 carbs a day. Like I said to Jessa, I just got to make sure I'm not too weak, tired and irritable to work out at the gym. I need to tweak my carbs to the right amount for me. No book can determine that for me. They don't know what I do at the gym.

Annette, how're you doing? Did you get to work out the other day? How's your sinus and yeast infection doing? You have a procedure coming up I think - when is that scheduled for? I know....20 questions - Sometimes, I just can't help myself...

I have a healing appointment in about a half hour today with that 72 yr old woman client of mine. I'm seriously thinking of putting in my Callenetic's DVD and having her work out. She need to stay flexible and that is not hard core exercise. She was a model when she was young so her overall weight is good but she has alot of water weight and puffiness. But she had a car accident that crushed her spine and it's like zig zag. That makes osteoporosis a threat if she doesn't flex it and build her bone mass through exercise. We'll see how that goes over but my 6th sense tells me to try it with her. She already started a regiment I recommended to her of calcium/magnesium supplements, cod liver oil wraps on her knees and sea salt baths and her pregnant (swollen) knee has reduced. She has arthritis in it but she won't get an operation for it. At least it's not painful. She is very psychic herself and always see that same Indian dancing in my healing room. His name is Spotted Wolf. That cracks me up. At least I have help while I'm working. He's there all the time she says.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:04 PM   #1251
Major LCF Poster!

Linda, I just had my eggs and chicken thigh yesterday. No protein for supper, just cauliflower and fennel, and the CORN!. Didn't miss it, but of course there was the vodka.... Bought some nice organic 85/15 ground beef and going to have burgers with native tomatoes and cheese tonight. YUM!
Old 08-06-2009, 01:04 PM   #1252
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitedov1208 View Post
Like I said to Jessa, I just got to make sure I'm not too weak, tired and irritable to work out at the gym. I need to tweak my carbs to the right amount for me. No book can determine that for me. They don't know what I do at the gym.
I've noticed that a lot, too, the weakness and tiredness. It's not as bad as when I first started, but I have to drink 1/2 of a "5 Hour Energy" drink in order to work out at the gym. I wasn't too worried about it since I'm in Induction, and I figured that would decrease when I transition to OWL, but last night I didn't have a 5he drink and I couldn't even make it through 10 minutes of cardio! I'm also extremely irritable, but wondering if that's not just a symptom of the TOM ...haha.

Meanwhile, no weight loss today. I'm extremely frustrated because I'm at the same weight I was at last monday (10 days ago!). I know I made errors during these last couple weeks, but to me they seem like nothing compared to all the sustained effort of eating right and working out regularly. Starting to wonder if this is actually working for me. I know I lost weight in the first week but since then, the same eating/working out has yeilded little results. I'm still holding on since it's my TOM, but if I haven't made at least a little progress by next week, I know I'm going to have a really hard time sticking to this. Keeping my fingers crossed, hoping part of this bad attitude is coming from the TOM.

Sorry to be such a Negative Nancy today!!! I think I need to go home and apologize to the boyfriend...he's had to deal with me up-close and personal!
Old 08-06-2009, 06:03 PM   #1253
Senior LCF Member

It was a sinus and bladder infection (bacteria). I just finished my second round of antibiotics and still feel like the bladder in infected (uncomfortable!) I did work out and get to the gym on Monday, but Tuesday I was wiped out and couldn't get to work. That happens when I have an infection, my body shuts down to try to heal. My surgery will consist of a hysterectomy and a lift and reposition of the bladder. It's sitting in such a way that it never completely empties - so it's a haven for bacteria.

I have a smoothie or apple (something with sugar) before a workout. If you're running out of steam, chances are you need some sugar. I don't know how you'd manage that on induction.

My hormones went crazy when I started Atkins too. I've heard that happens to a lot of people.
AMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:02 PM   #1254
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I've noticed that a lot, too, the weakness and tiredness. It's not as bad as when I first started, but I have to drink 1/2 of a "5 Hour Energy" drink in order to work out at the gym. I wasn't too worried about it since I'm in Induction, and I figured that would decrease when I transition to OWL, but last night I didn't have a 5he drink and I couldn't even make it through 10 minutes of cardio! I'm also extremely irritable, but wondering if that's not just a symptom of the TOM ...haha.

Meanwhile, no weight loss today. I'm extremely frustrated because I'm at the same weight I was at last monday (10 days ago!). I know I made errors during these last couple weeks, but to me they seem like nothing compared to all the sustained effort of eating right and working out regularly. Starting to wonder if this is actually working for me. I know I lost weight in the first week but since then, the same eating/working out has yeilded little results. I'm still holding on since it's my TOM, but if I haven't made at least a little progress by next week, I know I'm going to have a really hard time sticking to this. Keeping my fingers crossed, hoping part of this bad attitude is coming from the TOM.

Sorry to be such a Negative Nancy today!!! I think I need to go home and apologize to the boyfriend...he's had to deal with me up-close and personal!
Don't worry about it. You've been doing good. Everyone gains weight on TOM. I gained some months 3-5 lbs and then the week after it's done - it melts like butter. When I have TOM, I don't even weigh myself that week. All I know is a day before it comes, my tummy is poofy and my weight is up and I say A-HA! Then, I eat my chocolate for that 1st day of craving, skip exercising the day of and the next day and work out the 3rd day and eat as best as I can. Usually about 3 days after TOM is done - my weight drops. It's just a delay and it's WATER. Drink lots of water and take magnesium to flush and help with the cramps - magnesium also helps to get over the grouchies too.

Any diet requires a lot of patience so be kind to yourself and stay the course.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:09 PM   #1255
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMonkey View Post
It was a sinus and bladder infection (bacteria). I just finished my second round of antibiotics and still feel like the bladder in infected (uncomfortable!) I did work out and get to the gym on Monday, but Tuesday I was wiped out and couldn't get to work. That happens when I have an infection, my body shuts down to try to heal. My surgery will consist of a hysterectomy and a lift and reposition of the bladder. It's sitting in such a way that it never completely empties - so it's a haven for bacteria.

I have a smoothie or apple (something with sugar) before a workout. If you're running out of steam, chances are you need some sugar. I don't know how you'd manage that on induction.

My hormones went crazy when I started Atkins too. I've heard that happens to a lot of people.
The 1st or 2nd month on Atkins Induction, I even missed a period but still had the cramps, bloatedness and weight gain.

Sounds like a major procedure, Annette and I wish you well that it will go smooth and eliminate your bladder infections. When will you be having it done?

I pushed myself to do cardio those 3 months of bronchitis and could hardly breathe. Thankfully after the 3rd batch of antibiotics, it's now gone but my nasal allergies are still there but manageable. Not the best condition to do any jogging or walking on the treadmill since my nose is blocked but I deal.
I've had plenty of bladder infections too and I am practically bedridden. Don't push yourself Annette, take care of you.

Last edited by BlueTopaz; 08-06-2009 at 07:12 PM..
Old 08-07-2009, 08:32 AM   #1256
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

If anyone is interested in taking DietCure questionaire for free, you can get it at:

The Diet Cure: End Eating Disorders, Mood Swings, Addictions-- Now

This is the same questions as the book.

Everyone's quiet today...
Old 08-07-2009, 08:53 AM   #1257
Major LCF Poster!

I don't have any of them-scored low on all...

Had a food fest last night, brought on by wine, and this weekend have two picnics to go to. Still haven't weighed.

Annette, good wishes going your way for your operation. When is it?
Old 08-07-2009, 09:48 AM   #1258
Junior LCF Member

Still no loss...grr. But Linda your words about that TOM are helping me get through, so thanks! On the upside I'm wearing a shirt today that just a few months ago I wouldn't have been caught dead in, so I'm feeling positive about that!

Do you guys have any experience with the L-Carnitine and CoQ10 supplements? I went back to the book to check on possible causes. It said to try those supplements together. I went out and got some today, along with a B-complex to hopefully improve my energy levels so I can stop using those 5 hour energy shots to get to the gym. Just wondering if it worked for any of you?

I've also been hearing a lot about the yeast thing...but I can't really tell if I have the symptoms since so many of them can be caused by different things. I'm very susceptible to yeast infections caused by antibiotics (TMI, right? haha) but haven't been on antibiotics in ages. Guess if this keeps up into next month I'll have to do some experimenting and find out if that's it. Have you guys ever had yeast issues?

Side note, my little sister is coming into town this Wednesday and I'm very excited for her visit!!!
Old 08-07-2009, 01:51 PM   #1259
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Still no loss...grr. But Linda your words about that TOM are helping me get through, so thanks! On the upside I'm wearing a shirt today that just a few months ago I wouldn't have been caught dead in, so I'm feeling positive about that!

Do you guys have any experience with the L-Carnitine and CoQ10 supplements? I went back to the book to check on possible causes. It said to try those supplements together. I went out and got some today, along with a B-complex to hopefully improve my energy levels so I can stop using those 5 hour energy shots to get to the gym. Just wondering if it worked for any of you?

I've also been hearing a lot about the yeast thing...but I can't really tell if I have the symptoms since so many of them can be caused by different things. I'm very susceptible to yeast infections caused by antibiotics (TMI, right? haha) but haven't been on antibiotics in ages. Guess if this keeps up into next month I'll have to do some experimenting and find out if that's it. Have you guys ever had yeast issues?

Side note, my little sister is coming into town this Wednesday and I'm very excited for her visit!!!
Yeast infection is a real thing - something that I battled with so much in my life. To check for yeast, spit in a glass of water first thing in the morning. If the slimes don't fall to the bottom in an hour, you have Candida overload.
Old 08-07-2009, 02:18 PM   #1260
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

If you have candida overload, just lay off cheese and alcohol - because that feeds it. meat, veggies that's it - give it a week or 2.