Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2009, 09:15 AM   #1201
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BlueTopaz
Stats: 160/156/140
WOE: whatever works
Start Date: 10 years ago - Height 5' 7"
Hi Donna,

Congrats on the weight loss!

I wouldn't worry too much about the ounces that go up because it's usually water weight. Make sure you drink approx. 64 oz of pure water daily. That usually works for me (when I do it - it takes me a concerted effort) .

Your ****** figures look good for Atkins. How are you keeping your calories lower than before? Any increase in appetite because of it?
BlueTopaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2009, 09:47 AM   #1202
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Scotty
Stats: 174/160.9/140- 5' 7.5" born in 1946
WOE: Enjoying JUDDD's freedom after years of low carb
Start Date: Every day!!! JUDD start 1/13/12
Linda,
I am basically eating meat and eggs with the occasional salad, and some roasted cauliflower. I am no more hungry than before. When I go back further, my cals are closer to the 1600 range, but that included booze which I haven't had in a couple weeks, and as we know, booze cals add up QUICK!! I just think that lower number has to do with the two days of 1000 cals on the ff which yielded me pretty much nil.

I am pretty good on the water, although I don't measure it like I used to on WW. I had a big container that held 32oz which I kept full.

What is a "lightworker"?

"If you're afraid of butter, add a little cream" Julia Child
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:27 AM   #1203
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Donna, a Lightworker is usually an "energy practitioner" that uses techniques like Reiki, Cranial Sacral Therapy, Crystals, Meditation, Prayer work to name a few. Besides working on individuals - lightworkers ask the Universe, GOD, Creator (depending on what you call the "Source") for world peace, stability and Earth's healing. We try to raise Mass consciousness without being dogmatic and in your face and advise ways to reduce fear and other negative thinking. We believe what we put out, comes back. Thoughts create our reality - good, bad or indifferent. Words we say to ourselves and to others have even more of an impact on how easy or hard life is. It usually boils down to a matter of change in perspective which a Lightworker will coach someone if the opportunity arises or if the Lighworker is asked.

It's a vast subject but that's the jist of it. It takes on many branches and I do alot of different things i.e, energy healing, astrology, tarot reading, Shamanic technique and Angel invoking and healing. Most lightworkers are very sympathetic, sensitive people that feel the pain of others and try to help.

Many times when a person says they are "spiritual" but not religious, they're trying to tell you they are lightworkers.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:38 AM   #1204
Major LCF Poster!

One of the gals in our red hat group did that stuff, and also was a Wiccan. Very interesting person, and some of what she came up with was so spot on it was scary.

I've had reiki done on me a couple times but didn't feel anything..
Old 07-30-2009, 11:25 AM   #1205
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Feeling or not feeling Reiki is kind of two part...one who is receiving must have their heart open to the miracles of receiving with no skeptism and there are some practioners that don't have their heart into it or having a bad day themselves. Sometimes, the healing takes place when the healer is done. If you don't relax and are thinking about what the practitioner is doing instead of letting go, it can affect the results. I remember a guy who was a contractor, about my age, just wanted Reiki. He was rough around the edges and you would never think he would believe in such a thing but that's what he wanted and he came back again and again. I had a young professional singer that was touring the country and had a very bad headache that would not go away. She just wanted Reiki and when she was done, the headache was gone. She tipped me nicely and left with good wishes.

Maybe for you, you were in a good state already -not needing of any a healing! I've already had Reiki from people and felt nothing per se myself but then I tend to give them Reiki while I"m lying there so they can heal me better!
Old 07-30-2009, 01:56 PM   #1206
Major LCF Poster!

Both times the giver said she felt it, but I didn't.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:14 PM   #1207
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AMonkey
Stats: 158/129/125
WOE: Organic Whole Foods
Start Date: October 2008
Linda,

Congrats on your success!

I had two Reiki sessions. The first one was great. I wanted to introduce my daughter to Reiki and brought her to the next session. The worker wasn't pleased, and the energy was way off. She didn't offer another session.

Do either of you remember the "Set Point" theory? That our bodies have a certain weight default, and that we have to "trick it" to get below that point.

I'm still bouncing around by 4 pounds. After my birthday I'm going to do the 30 day (Jillian Michaels Shred) thing to get my thighs and belly in shape.

I plan to tear it up on Saturday. Crab, dessert and wine (just one glass)! And pancakes for breakfast. After that, I'll start paying for my birthday sins.

Last edited by AMonkey; 07-30-2009 at 09:16 PM..
AMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 04:46 AM   #1208
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atkinsgoddess View Post
Both times the giver said she felt it, but I didn't.
Sorry to hear that. I've never had people tell me that, thankfully; however, I can tell when they get up from the table - how much they received. Mostly they are very "spacy and euphoric".

One time a man in his late 50's and very "conservative" had me work on him. When he left, he drove somewhere and could not find his keys. Here, he left them in his ignition and didn't notice his car running for a few minutes! He was so embarrassed about it but had to tell me. At least he was able to laugh at himself.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:49 AM   #1209
Major LCF Poster!

Up another .1 More water weight?? Low carbs, lowish cals-under 1400, good fat, exercise.

Last edited by Scotty; 07-31-2009 at 05:11 AM..
Old 07-31-2009, 05:21 AM   #1210
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Anette's having a birthday tomorrow....

quote=AMonkey;12290934]Linda,

Congrats on your success!

I had two Reiki sessions. The first one was great. I wanted to introduce my daughter to Reiki and brought her to the next session. The worker wasn't pleased, and the energy was way off. She didn't offer another session.

Do either of you remember the "Set Point" theory? That our bodies have a certain weight default, and that we have to "trick it" to get below that point.

I'm still bouncing around by 4 pounds. After my birthday I'm going to do the 30 day (Jillian Michaels Shred) thing to get my thighs and belly in shape.

I plan to tear it up on Saturday. Crab, dessert and wine (just one glass)! And pancakes for breakfast. After that, I'll start paying for my birthday sins. [/quote]

Annette,
Before I get too spacey and forget............busy weekend ahead.

x 50 !

Saturday and Sunday, husband and I are moving my only daughter out. They're having settlement on their new house today. I gotta tell you, my emotions were up and down all week. Time goes so fast and I feel like she's still my little girl hiding in her adult body. Now, it'll be like being married before we had her - empty nest with just a 4 yr old boxer to dote on. I'm trying to take the positive perspective that we'll have more money to travel now that college is out of the way and we are not supporting her financially; however, I hope she calls me for help or asks me to come over for mother daughter chats. It's important to feel needed.

Yeah, I remember the set point theory and there's also a Fat set point theory that Tom Venuto talks about on BFFM. He is a endo-mesomorph body type. Endomorphs are the body types that carry alot of fat - usually pudgy and round w/belly weight and Mesomorph's are blessed with the ability to build muscle fast (however, can get beefy later in life). He was a thin - fat person - holding a lot of body fat even when he worked out as a teenager.

I tend to think I am also a endo-mesomorph. Fat loves to store in my bottom half and it's a killer to get it to go away.

Tom had to work his butt off in cardio - sometimes twice a day to thin down.
Ugghhh - I don't really like cardio. Last night at the gym, I enjoyed the weight machines but could not get into the treadmill. I guess what I need the most is what is hardest for me. The stationary bicycles seem like a waste of time but maybe I'll try that for variety. I can't see how bicycles help your thighs. It seems like it only helps your calves. Burning calories on bikes seems to take longer too. I hate the eclipical! Do you guys have any opinion on that?

Annette, enjoy your birthday and savor the food and try to convince yourself that the food will nourish your body and not punish you on the scales. Visualize yourself thinner after dinner!
Old 07-31-2009, 05:41 AM   #1211
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atkinsgoddess View Post
Up another .1 More water weight?? Low carbs, lowish cals-under 1400, good fat, exercise.
I can top that...about a week ago I was 139. This morning...146! This is even after exercising last night! My food was...

B: Protein drink
L: eggs, scrapple, sausage, lc bread - fried and buttered with Smart Balance
Snack: a few almonds
S: Tuna salad on LC wrap, nectarine
Snack: mixed nuts and Atkins bar (had a hankering for chocolate)

So, yesterday was a pretty low carb day (except for the fruit) - whoopeee doo

Body fat went from 34% yesterday morning this 30% this morning per scale.

So....is that water weight or muscle weight or both? My tummy is flatter this morning though.

These middle age hormones I think are the culprit of our struggles. I've read that on average, most women gain 20 lbs from peri-menopause to post-menopause.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:02 AM   #1212
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

UPDATE - This is hysterical

I just weighed myself after taking magnesium and calcium and completing my bathroom duties and now 1 hr after just weighing myself... the scale says....

142.3 !!!

I lost 4 lbs in a hour! Maybe I should weigh myself before I go to bed...who knows? I may get down to my goal weight of 135.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:44 AM   #1213
Major LCF Poster!

You win the mystery weight gain contest, Linda! But I wish I could get rid of 4 pounds that easily....I tried this morning, same way you did....

I know how you feel about your daughter moving out, BUT, having been through it, I have to say that these years are the absolute BEST of my life, and I love my empty nest! You two seem close, so I know you will stay that way. And you're so lucky that she will be nearby, right? Also, menopause is GREAT!!! (except for the weight loss problem....)

I really wanted to be below 155 this weekend....
Old 07-31-2009, 07:12 AM   #1214
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: mommy_gates
Stats: 170/149.2/143 (5'6"-57 years old)
WOE: Weight Watchers/T-tapp
Start Date: November 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitedov1208 View Post
UPDATE - This is hysterical

I just weighed myself after taking magnesium and calcium and completing my bathroom duties and now 1 hr after just weighing myself... the scale says....

142.3 !!!

I lost 4 lbs in a hour! Maybe I should weigh myself before I go to bed...who knows? I may get down to my goal weight of 135.
I LOVE YOUR SENSE OF HUMOR LINDA...HAVE A WONDERFUL WEEK-END MOVING YOUR DAUGHTER.....AND MENOPAUSE IS A ***** BUT IT'S ALL WORTH IT IN THE END...
mommy_gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:31 PM   #1215
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks girls for the vote of confidence of men - o - pause. It's gonna come whether I want it to or not!
Old 07-31-2009, 02:30 PM   #1216
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lajinski
Stats: 147/143.5/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 23, 2009
just started...13 lbs to lose

Hey guys. I've been doing atkins for almost two weeks and I just joined this forum. I was really glad to see this thread! I have 13 more lbs to lose until I'm at my goal weight of 130 (5' 7") but depending on how things go it might be 125...still trying to figure out what's natural for my body.

I'm still really confused about the "can I drink caffeine free diet coke" and "why is more than 4g of carb from cheese a bad thing" questions...

I gained a little weight over the weekend and I'm not sure if it was because I was a)over eating, b) drinking sugar free koolaid (alot!) or c) ate sugar free candies (a small bag). I dropped it all again this week plus 1 lb but now I haven't lost in 3 days and I don't know why. I'm working out like crazy, drinking water, keeping the carbs down and monitoring portions.

What is the right amount of calories to eat per day? I saw somewhere that for a female my age (25) it's 1500-1900. I've done weight watchers and other diets before so that seems really high!

Total weight loss in 10 days - 4.5 lbs. Does that sound about right? Guess I'm just looking for a little assurance that I'm doing this right! Thanks!
lajinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 02:42 PM   #1217
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lajinski View Post
Hey guys. I've been doing atkins for almost two weeks and I just joined this forum. I was really glad to see this thread! I have 13 more lbs to lose until I'm at my goal weight of 130 (5' 7") but depending on how things go it might be 125...still trying to figure out what's natural for my body.

I'm still really confused about the "can I drink caffeine free diet coke" and "why is more than 4g of carb from cheese a bad thing" questions...

I gained a little weight over the weekend and I'm not sure if it was because I was a)over eating, b) drinking sugar free koolaid (alot!) or c) ate sugar free candies (a small bag). I dropped it all again this week plus 1 lb but now I haven't lost in 3 days and I don't know why. I'm working out like crazy, drinking water, keeping the carbs down and monitoring portions.

What is the right amount of calories to eat per day? I saw somewhere that for a female my age (25) it's 1500-1900. I've done weight watchers and other diets before so that seems really high!

Total weight loss in 10 days - 4.5 lbs. Does that sound about right? Guess I'm just looking for a little assurance that I'm doing this right! Thanks!
Welcome La!

Losing 4.5 lbs in 10 days is GREAT!
Many sugar free candies have carbs as I found out. Check the nutrition label on these.

If you're doing the 2002 Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution - 15-20 carbs per day. Less than that if you're doing the original 1972 Atkins. I'm 5'7" too and 49 yrs old - different websites say different daily caloric amounts - usually around 1800 to maintain and about 1724 to lose 1 lb per week; however, don't go by me - check for yourself because I'm not sure. Besides, the USDA says 2,000 calories is recommended per day to maintain. Whose right? Darn if I know. I do know that too low of calories will SLOW down your metabolism. On Atkins, at least during Induction, calories don't count. Just count the carbs and you can use ****** to track or other free tracking websites. Get the book and go by the food list and you'll do fine. Looks like you have a great start already and congrats.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:52 PM   #1218
Junior LCF Member

thanks

Thanks a lot. I needed the encouragement. I forgot to mention that in all my stress I ended up cheating today (chocolate frosting). But I plan to stay on induction for another couple weeks so I'll just get back on that wagon.

Anybody know why cheese is limited to 4 oz/day? I think I've been pushing it to 5 or 6 some days because it's a much more low-carb snack than a lot of vegetables. And because I love, love, love that I can have full-fat cheese and still lose weight. I did WW for the longest time and I was ALWAYS hungry and feeling deprived. Fat Free versions of most foods are just not satisfying!
Old 08-01-2009, 11:59 AM   #1219
Senior LCF Member

I love the Elliptical because it's easy on the knees and feet.

I'm getting my overnight bag packed for our hotel stay. I've already started the party by eating a shortbread cookie this morning.

I've read that we should weight ourselves weekly because our weight fluctuates too much from day to day.

As to our BMR, there's a lot of sites that have calculators. I used the calculation in Jillian Michaels' book. She said it is accurate + or - 100 calories based on your lean muscle amount (the more lean muscle, the more calories you need). Mine came out to about 1370 calories, to which I can add to as I do have some lean muscle. So you can see, as we age, we need to lower our food intake.

And a half an hour of exercise is maintenance mode. This is no fair!!!

Take care ladies, we can do it!

Annette

Last edited by AMonkey; 08-01-2009 at 12:01 PM..
Old 08-02-2009, 04:28 AM   #1220
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lajinski View Post
Thanks a lot. I needed the encouragement. I forgot to mention that in all my stress I ended up cheating today (chocolate frosting). But I plan to stay on induction for another couple weeks so I'll just get back on that wagon.

Anybody know why cheese is limited to 4 oz/day? I think I've been pushing it to 5 or 6 some days because it's a much more low-carb snack than a lot of vegetables. And because I love, love, love that I can have full-fat cheese and still lose weight. I did WW for the longest time and I was ALWAYS hungry and feeling deprived. Fat Free versions of most foods are just not satisfying!
Hi LA, are you doing the original 1972 Atkins or the newer 2002 version Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution?

I think Dr. Atkins wants us to get most of our carbs from veggies rather than cheese. Some cheese can have 3 carbs and cottage cheese is out as well as cream cheese until Induction is over at least if you're doing the original 1972 Atkins which I'm more familiar with.

Veggies are better for you than cheese - has no salt - besides, veggies will prevent constipation whereas too much cheese and meat will cause it in my opinion. Take magnesium before bed or 1st thing in the morning if you experience constipation. Make sure you drink 8 - 8oz water to flush out the fats and toxins and get your body in a fat burning mode.

Check out the recipe board on this site for Induction friendly desserts. Linda writes alot of the recipes for delicious and creative ways to satisfy your sweet tooth without cheating. Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes - Home
I always had sugar free Jello on hand during my Induction as what the original 1972 book recommended. During time of month, I made chocolate coconut candies using Unsweetened Dark Chocolate, coconut oil, Stevia, DaVinci's sugar free Vanilla syrup and nuked it all at once, stirred and put them in custard cups and froze them. It's so rich that I would eat 1 and be satisfied and not finish the rest of the batch until next monthly TOM. It certainly got me thru the hump.
Old 08-02-2009, 04:50 AM   #1221
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMonkey View Post
I love the Elliptical because it's easy on the knees and feet.

I'm getting my overnight bag packed for our hotel stay. I've already started the party by eating a shortbread cookie this morning.

I've read that we should weight ourselves weekly because our weight fluctuates too much from day to day.

As to our BMR, there's a lot of sites that have calculators. I used the calculation in Jillian Michaels' book. She said it is accurate + or - 100 calories based on your lean muscle amount (the more lean muscle, the more calories you need). Mine came out to about 1370 calories, to which I can add to as I do have some lean muscle. So you can see, as we age, we need to lower our food intake.

And a half an hour of exercise is maintenance mode. This is no fair!!!

Take care ladies, we can do it!

Annette
Annette, hope you are partying hardy this weekend.

I am reading "The Diet Cure" - omg, so much information - nutrient wise and for hormornal middle age women like ourselves (we're still young - though )
It's a must read, Annette! I got it on Amazon used for cheap and it blows my mind. Chapters on Insulin imbalance and what to take and what going on in our bodies for chemistry imbalances, Fatty acid dependency. A quiz for you to take to see what you need help on and you go to that Chapter and read about it. It's usually more than 1 chapter that people need to read. She is against refined carbs too and sugar. She is a fan of Chromium which is largely deficient in most people - especially dieters. She is not LOW CAL or LOW FAT but oils like peanut, soy, canola etc are rancent by the time they're bottled and cause free radicals in our bodies. Olive oil, butter and coconut oil are good for you and our bodies can break down the fatty acid chains without becoming toxic. She eats 2100 calories and is slim. She exercises moderatly and warns not to over excercise or else your ADRENALS will fatigue - which slows down your thryoid and causes weight gain. She is big on Amino Acids and says they will cure you of carb cravings, hunger cravings, alcohol cravings etc. They don't need to be taken FOREVER but for a few months until your body gets straightened out and in balance.

Back in the 80's I took Amino Acids because I read alot of good things about them in Earl Mindells Vitamin Bible. I had alot of energy back then. I'm going to get a high quality Amino acid supplement and a good mineral complex. All these years of dieting has depleted me and it'll take too long to replenish it by just trying to eat healthy.

Been working on my daughter and future son in laws house Friday and Saturday. Exhausting but fun. I ate fast food crap yesterday on the fly so today is veggie day. I made sure I took my multi vitamin and B Complex, Calcum and magnesium. I figured I did alot of cardio during these past 2 days. I wish I would like the Ecliptical as much as you. I think it's the posture of it - strains my lower back plus my quad muscles in the front feel fatigued - same as how they feel doing the sitting leg raises - a killer. I'm sure those 2 exercises is what I need the most so I'll keep working them as much as I can stand it.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:12 AM   #1222
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Annette,

Thought of more things....

Another point that the author of The Diet Cure makes is like, Jillian, she says if you eat un-organic meats (the main culprit) - you are getting anti-biotics indirectly which can lower your immune system and cause CANDIDA overload and women problems and the pesticides of course give you another host of problems. I am just in the beginning of the book. After I read this book, I'll go back and re-read and take notes.

I"m on the chapter that talks about what it means to be a fat junkie (like me) - craving salt and fat and how to balance that. I scored high on Brain Chemical Imbalance, Hypo-Glycemia, Fatty Acid Imbalance, Peri-Menopause and a couple of others. She has a good chapter on Food Intolerances too. I didn't score high on that but even though - she says that WHEAT and DAIRY can be sneaky and not detected readily. Very interesting. I always suspected that those 2 food groups caused me most of my WATER RETENTION. The low carb flours I eat are wheat protein derived - which eliminates the starchy/carbs of the wheat - - may not be helping me. I have cut back on cheese for the past week. For some reason, I'm not craving it now. She advocates fruit too which I am severely lacking.

Well, back to reading. Will check back in later.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:08 PM   #1223
Senior LCF Member

I almost picked up the Diet Cure a few months ago. Based on my blood tests, I am not in peri-menopause yet - so I thought I'd wait a bit to pick it up. But based on what you've shared, it sounds like a good read.

Birthday was fun. I actually didn't go for all the forbidden food at the buffet. I did have a small cannolli, and some hot fudge sundae.

My sister treated me to a facial and massage package at the hotel spa. That was amazing!!!

And you're right about vegetables. Those need to be the bulk of our carbs.

Annette
Old 08-02-2009, 03:00 PM   #1224
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good Willpower girl! Glad you enjoyed your B-day!

Actually Peri Menopause is just a chapter of the book. The quiz is to see which of the 8 Imbalances you have and it addresses each one with a chapter.

1) Brain Chemistry Imbalances

2) Low-Calories Dieters

3) Unstable Blood Sugar

4) Low Thyroid Function

5) Addictions to Foods you're Allergic To (or Food Sensitivities)

6) Hormonal Havoc

7) Yeast Overgrowth

8) Fatty Acid Deficiency

Her claim is dieting per se is unhealthy but there are foods that are recommended to avoid if you have any of the above issues. She also advocates the Blood Type Diet in as far as Type O - really needs to stay away from grains and are primal meat eaters and need alot of protein (which I am). She says that after the supplements she recommends is taken, then the body will be able to process them better. Other than the high potency multi-vitamin - the other supplements like: Milk Thistle if you have a weakened liver etc would only need to be taken for a couple of months.

She is very much against low calorie dieting - she says that is Volunteer Starvation and makes you fatter. Her method is to correct the organs that process food - then the body will process good, whole food the way it's supposed to and you'll lose weight and feel better about life.

She has a clinic and is a hollistic practitioner and treats drug, alcohol and food addictions as well as weight control. This book was actually printed in 1999 and is a big hit in England. She says England is the 2nd to the US as far as bad eating habits and food choices.

3rd World Country inhabitants are healthier than we are - unless the move to the US. Why? 3rd world countries don't have prepared, processed imitation food like us. What they eat is whole - butter not margarine for example.
Old 08-02-2009, 03:27 PM   #1225
Senior LCF Member

I'll pop over to Borders or Barnes & Noble before I hit the gym today and pick up the book. I think I have coupons.

I can't start Jillian's 30 Day Cut program because I am not in good enough shape. There are 4 mini tests you have to pass at an "adequate" or above level. I flunked the push up test. I can only do "girl" push ups.

It's been 3 weeks since I've taken a break from working out because of the bladder/sinus infection. I did Level 1 of the 30 Day Shred and thought I was going to give up. How quickly we get out of shape.

I started taking Pure Form Greens and Reds in the morning. They provide me with antioxidants, etc... to supply my body with what it needs. I notice a big difference when I taken them, along with the liquid vitamins. I don't feel the need to eat "anything."

I do believe that when you don't give your body what it needs, it will drive you to devour everything you see so it can get what it needs.

Oh, my sister gave me a subscription to Nutrition action. There's a great article about how our foods are multi-sensory (Fat, sugar, + etc...). Our brains get overstimulated, "excited about eating" and we can become addicted to the dopamine rush our brains release due to the over-stimulation. Just like nicotine addiction is not limited to the chemical, it's the look of the package, the feel of the product in your hands, the action of smoking, the ads, the glamor and "personality" of the smoker that ingrain the habit in our psyche.

In 1960, women aged 20 to 29 averaged 128 pounds. By 2000, the average escalated to 158. Women 40-49 have seen the same jump - from 140 to 169 pounds. Coincidentally, 169 is the weight I hit when I woke up and decided to do something.
Old 08-02-2009, 04:29 PM   #1226
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

You've come a long way...169 to what you are now. Donna too. The most I weighed was 172 and that was for a few short months because I was on steroids for 5 months straight. After that, I got acid reflux and cut back on eating Diner food at night (worked late hours at the store back then) - went on the 6 Week Body Makeover and the weight dropped fast and thankfully the acid reflux/heartburn went away too.

In 1960 - who was on a diet? not many. The author of The Diet Cure says that Pritikin was responsible for starting the low fat trend plus by the late 60's - Twiggy came on the scene and the way we look at our bodies changed. She said that Marilyn Monroe was a Size 12 - what I am now (but wanna be Size 10) and she was considered knock down gorgeous. She is also an advocate of Dr. Atkins Nutrient Supplement Book (I didn't know about that one).

You'll find the book interesting, I think. It's so information packed that my little brain gets tired after reading a couple of pages I heard that about our brain once we think and drool over a food and not eat it - some think that is worse to avoid it because your stomach acids are prepared and then you deny it and what does it do with the excess acids? The brain is a sneaky organ that won't let up until it gets what it needs as it takes orders from our hormones! Addiction is an epidemic and comes in all forms.

I've heard of greens - but what are REDs? Sounds like Speed to me! I dunno, Annette...sounds hardcore to me.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:56 PM   #1227
Senior LCF Member

They're Super Food powders you mix with water or juice. It makes it much easier to have a glass of the super foods and my liquid vitamin in the morning rather than have to take pills several times a day. I'm missing calcium, which needs to be taken at least twice a day, as our bodies can't absorb a whole day's worth at one time. So I'll have to get to that. The Reds have antioxidants - fruit, mangosteen, etc... The Greens have vitamins, potassium, zinc, etc...
Old 08-03-2009, 05:20 AM   #1228
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMonkey View Post
They're Super Food powders you mix with water or juice. It makes it much easier to have a glass of the super foods and my liquid vitamin in the morning rather than have to take pills several times a day. I'm missing calcium, which needs to be taken at least twice a day, as our bodies can't absorb a whole day's worth at one time. So I'll have to get to that. The Reds have antioxidants - fruit, mangosteen, etc... The Greens have vitamins, potassium, zinc, etc...
That sounds healthy and efficient because if I add any more nutrients per the book, I'll feel like a pill junky. Already I'm taking quite a bit. What you said about calcium reminds me of what my DH said - take it 2x a day and I haven't been - just once in the evenings. Where did you learn about the Reds?

I already bought the greens in powder when I read the Acid/Alkaline Balance book. I took it for a while. I've always been acidic and that contributes to the yeast infections that I get periodically. Let me know how you do on them.

How did your gym workout go yesterday? I should be going this morning because I won't be going tonight; however, I'm a little down about my daughter leaving home. (It's a "don't feel like it kind of day for me")

All weekend I was good but this morning knowing that she's not in bed sleeping kind of got me teary. Oh well, everything in life is a "loan". Tonight I'm baking my future SIL Peanut Butter Tandy Cakes to bring them tomorrow after work. She now lives 15 mins from my work. Her refridgerator is being delivered Tues. so I"m excited to see it. A psychologist reading this would probably say "A-ha! You are an acute Food Junkie!!! Anyway, she picked up 2 tables and a loveseat yesterday after she moved the rest of the things from our house in a U Haul.

DH and I were home alone yesterday. We went on a date last nite for my supper and had this Southwestern Chicken Salad with black beans and avocado - really good. Do you have any kids living at home Annette?

How did everyone else make out this weekend? Donna, La, Gaets and other peepers!!!

Last edited by BlueTopaz; 08-03-2009 at 05:30 AM..
Old 08-03-2009, 07:42 AM   #1229
Major LCF Poster!

I had a rather high carb, high cal weekend. No excuses. It's over and the week begins again.

Can you tell me more about these reds and greens? Where can I get them? I don't take a lot of supplements, but I do take my calcium twice a day (gyno says I am in the 90th percentile for good bones), magnesium, and a good multi. For a while I was taking E but stopped when I ran out.

At my heaviest I was 220.2, and got down to 164 in about a year on WW. Then over the course of about a year (?), exercising and low carb, I got down to my low of 138 (for about 15 minutes... )

In 1960 I was 14 and on a diet-unfortunately it was ice cream for lunch in the cafeteria at school, and nothing else untill supper..."diet" plates were a burger pattie, cottage cheese, and a peach half... anyone remember those?

Does anyone have any good ideas for baptism gifts for my GS? He alread has silver cup, spoon, bank, and almost anything else a kid could want. I want something he will have that is lasting.

Last edited by Scotty; 08-03-2009 at 07:45 AM..
Old 08-03-2009, 02:59 PM   #1230
Junior LCF Member

gained...again

I think I'm doing Atkins 2002....I bought whatever was on the shelf at Barnes and Noble, but I can double check.

After that chocolate frosting cheat on friday i gained part of a pound...to be expected. Yesterday I had a friend over for dinner and had a glass of red wine...bad i know. I also tried an Atkins advantage bar and it triggered my sugar craving so bad I ate 4 throughout the day. I was too afraid to even weigh myself this morning for fear it would depress me cause me to mess up again.

But it's Monday. Since I planned on doing Induction for a month anyway, I'm hoping this second two weeks i can get it right. I'm hoping for 140 or less by the 20th (going home to California). On Sunday morning I was 143.5-ish so hopefully with a new clean induction I can make it!

Thanks for all the support and thanks for that recipe site! I'll have that on-hand next time I feel like I need something sweet....then have my boyfriend hide the rest of the batch!