Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2009, 06:13 AM   #1171
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Scotty
Stats: 174/160.9/140- 5' 7.5" born in 1946
WOE: Enjoying JUDDD's freedom after years of low carb
Start Date: Every day!!! JUDD start 1/13/12
Linda on your gain, but at least you might have a reason for it. You must look great too!

Ladies, have any words of wisdom/comfort for me? (see previous post)
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2009, 10:36 AM   #1172
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BlueTopaz
Stats: 160/156/140
WOE: whatever works
Start Date: 10 years ago - Height 5' 7"
You want words of wisdom? Dear, my words of wisdom go unheeded. I've given you so much advice (not that I"m a good example) that you have nixed - no offense taken. Maybe Annette can fill in where I left off. I am out of ideas - even for myself.

I brought into work Protein Power to get boss to go on it. I did get down to 139 during the weeks I was on it and probably will go back on it. Such a yo-yo dieter I am. Just trying to figure out what works and what doesn't. The only thing I can think is that "sometimes I can get away with whole grains and sometimes I can eat fruit and sometimes I can have beans and sometimes I can cheat" but long term high carbs makes me hungry and makes water weight go back on.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:24 PM   #1173
Major LCF Poster!

It's just that I had NO reason for a gain. Maybe it'll go away tomorrow...

You might be surprised at all the advice/wisdom I HAVE heeded, to no avail.

I will keep trying.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:55 PM   #1174
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Donna, I just read some of the Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle this morning before work. He said no matter what diet you are on, you will lose some weight for a little while but without exercise, you will STALL and what did you "really" lose? Probably water and muscle. Exercise builds muscle and muscle burns fat. The combination of healthy eating (whether it is low carb or high carb), combined with cardio and weight training is the combination that you will lose weight, period. He says that if you are eating right and exercising and you are not losing, then you need to see a doctor for thyroid or candida testing. This is all that I've already told you, but you don't want to exercise or see a doctor so I don't know what else to tell you.

You've just been through the Atkins Induction dilligently yet you have not loss the amount you want. That is a red flag that either you need exercise to build the muscle or you need to get checked for thyroid or candida overload. Even Atkins talks about Candida people that makes it near impossible to lose weight - even his way.

The recent gain I had was explainable - not excuseable. I know I have to clean up my diet. My thyroid is fine, no diabetes and candida isn't too out of balance because I've been taking Caprylic acid in a pill form to kill the yeast. My yeast infection went away that I had last week. I ate loads of refined bread, deep fried appetizers last week. Despite my excercising - I gained 3 lbs but how much would I gain if I didn't? I also want to do lunges for the stubborn thigh fat. When I don't see results, I adjust.

I'm not judging you at all but you are at a plateau some you need to change something or at least deal with any obstacles you may have medically. Just my humble opinion.
BlueTopaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 07:42 PM   #1175
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AMonkey
Stats: 158/129/125
WOE: Organic Whole Foods
Start Date: October 2008
Very funny! Trust me - I often looked at my thighs and wondered if we could get a loan to have some quick fix surgery.

Tomorrow is free pastry day at Starbucks. I won't be getting my cup of Joe and a pastry this time. Behaving is getting easier I must say. But I'm not taking any chances - I'm brewing my own tea tomorrow and steering free of my favorite place.

Jillian Michaels has a book called Making the Cut. It's pretty intense. You have to stick to her eating plan and exercise regimen to make it work. I'm totally sold on her game plan. It's one that fits me. I think we all need to find the right thing for us.

I thought cauliflower was low carb?

Could it be water weight?

Annette

Quote:
Originally Posted by atkinsgoddess View Post
Riddle me this, people...

After yet another good day of 1435 cals, 65% fat, 3% carbs and 32% protein, I am UP .6 a pound!! And I was so hoping for a baby whoosh...

So, now I have been strict 72 Atkins for almost a week, and have lost, net, about a pound and a half. And remember, I had GAINED 5! I had a cup of cauliflower last night, though. Ooooooh...that must be it!

I have been doing this for almost 7 months.Net loss since 1/2/09-6 pounds

Annette-congratulations on reaching your goal. You must look great!

What's the 30 day cut? MAybe I can cut off about 20 pounds of flesh...
Old 07-20-2009, 08:05 PM   #1176
Senior LCF Member

I kept the calories to the 1,200 range per day. I exercised at least 5X per week. I am eating whole foods, no refined, processed foods. No eating after 6 at night. Limited carbs for dinner. Made sure I had protein and carb together and balanced my meals. Started taking a better grade of vitamins. No alcohol until I met my weight goal. (I'll have some on my BDay, but will refrain after that until I meet my next mini goal.)

This weekend I had a piece of whole grain cheese/mushroom pizza. That one piece constituted enough calories for a whole meal. I also had some natural potato chips at lunch. I added up my calories - and I didn't go over the calorie limit. But I'm not sure it was worth it. For me, it's like when I quit smoking. One cigarette, and I was smoking again.

Annette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitedov1208 View Post
Annette!!! Congrats on your weight goal! YOU DID IT!!!

Now share what differences in eating you've been doing to account for it.

For me, I gained 3 lbs since last week. My weight is 144.

Granted, I ate junk food so why should I be surprised? I did work out hard too, though. This is starting to remind me of the South Beach Diet when I gained 6 lbs in a week and had to go in 1972 Induction to get it off. Of course the South Beach people said that initial weight gain was normal in the beginning but at what point do you say it's because it's the carbs?

So..I'm not sure if the gain is because of eating deep fried food, refined flour or if it's just carbs in general. I won't know unless I eat clean with lean meat, whole grains, fruit and veggies and low fat and exercise.
AMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 05:45 AM   #1177
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Annette - What excercise routine do you do?

########

Well, I am scratching my head this morniing after I weighed myself. The whoosh fairy came and blessed my scale. From yesterday at 143, today I am at 139.8 !?!?

I knew most of the gain was water weight but I didn't think it would go away after 1 day of eating low carbs! So, this is what I ate and I want to document this so if this happens again...I know what I did.

B: 2 regular eggs fried in ghee and 1 piece of CarbSense bread w/ghee, 2 cups of leaded coffee.

L: Baked off a chicken at lunch and ate a whole breast w/some skin and 3/4 cup of string beans.

S: (2) Lettuce wraps w/2 slices of ham in each one w/2 oz of Muenster Cheese, Low Fat Mayo, Peppers in olive oil. Made homemade meatballs in Ragu Light (no sugar) w/2% mozzarelli for supper tonight and have 2 mini meatballs to taste.

Snack: 3/4 cup of fresh strawberries

Lots of water

Calories: 1127 (I couldn't think of how I could up my calories without upping my fat)
Fat: 71.9 g
Carb: 27.5 grams
Prot: 91.2 grams

Fat: 57%
Prot: 34%
Carbs: 9%

I was reading Tom's ebook on the different interviews he's done with other fitness weight trainer gurus. He maintains that if you have been yo yo dieting or on low carb (Atkins) for more than 3 months, than you need to re-set your metabolism by eating your "Maintenance" caloric amount for 1 week.

Then, you cut back your calories and measure and weight yourself once 1 week and see your results. Adjust if you don't lose 1 lb or add more calories if you lose 3 lbs in a week (because you have lost muscle weight) or if nothing changes - either in weight or in fat percentages.

If you want to lose FAT - then do more cardio - as in 30 min a day. 2-3x of weight training a week.

If you want to gain muscle, then do more weight training and less cardio but make sure you eat close to your maintainance caloric intake.

The problem I have with him is that he is more geared for men that want to be body builders and they eat galore to Build up - then they train hard too with free weights. He doesn't mention weight machines. I think I'll go by what I read in Jillian's books for the women exercises because she is on the same page as us. But as far as her eating formula, I will need to consider that carefully because she definitely has us eating more carbs than Atkins and her training is very TOUGH and exhausting.

One thing that I did last night was leg lunges with 2 lb weights 1/2 hr before going to bed. Not that it made a huge difference but it's not a bad idea to get my mind off food and on to fat loss.

Tom also says that if you eat like Atkins, you will not have the energy to exercise - especially in the gym. And when you are done, you must eat lean protein and carbs to rebuild your glycogen. He suggests something like egg whites and whole grain bread if you are trying to lose fat and egg whites, white potatoes if you want to build muscle.

Another point. Either you LOSE FAT or you BUILD MUSCLE - you cannot do both. Then, once you decide, then you follow his guildelines. You may be able to lose a lot of fat and gain a little muscle but that usually is for the genetically perfected Mesomorphs. If you are losing fat and you notice that your muscles are larger - it's just temporarily. Interesting...I always thought you can do both.

I just want to lose these fatty thighs and reduce my hips and butt. Then, I'll work on building muscle. I measured myself this morning so I'll record it now.

Last edited by BlueTopaz; 07-21-2009 at 05:47 AM..
Old 07-21-2009, 05:54 AM   #1178
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

okay - just changed my stats on measurements - no big change.

Hips - lost 1", Forearm: lost 1/2"

As you can see, thighs are stubborn.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:40 PM   #1179
Senior LCF Member

Linda,

Comparing our measurements - we're pretty close. And I'm only 5' 2". My next mini goal is to lose an inch in my waist, which would bring me to your measurement of 28.

I still haven't exercised. My bladder is still sore. And I haven't had coffee (also because of my bladder) and all I can say is "Thanks for the tip on the magnesium." My poor little intestines just don't know how to move things along without the additional magnesium to help.

I guess I'm just losing fat. I'm starting to see more definition in my arms and legs, but maybe that's just because I can kinda see my muscle now that the fat is subsiding.

It's definitely a different ball game for a man to lose weight. Our bodies are built to be cushy for childbirth - not trim for the modern world. I think it's easier for a woman trainer to understand how it is.

Annette

Quote:
okay - just changed my stats on measurements - no big change.

Hips - lost 1", Forearm: lost 1/2"

As you can see, thighs are stubborn.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:04 AM   #1180
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Annette,

You seem taller than 5'2" by your picture! Your thighs are trimming down nicely. I know you are still not happy but you'll get there.

Bladder infections - ughhh, hate them! I've had plenty of them and been to emergency ward at the hospital when I was 18 or 19 yrs old and 1st got them on a SUNDAY! When the hospital called me in - they had to get me in the bathroom! The bladder relaxer pill that are dyed and make your urine orange are the miracle in the bottle. I still have some in my medicine cabinet from 30 yrs ago! I did have to use them recently because I thought I had a bladder infection starting and it was on a Friday night before leaving on vacation the next day. It was a life saver and it turned out that I just had a cold in my bladder that went away the next day - Thank God!

I went to the gym yesterday morning and did 40 min on the treadmill on 3.9 speed. I like to keep it under 4.0 because after 4.0, I can't check my heart rate and I watch for that. Sometimes I go over 4.0 in the 1st 5 mins. Then, after work I went back to the gym and did some cardio and lower leg machines. I was beat when I got home and went to bed at 10:00. When I didn't exercise, I would force myself to go to bed at 12:30. This is a good thing and is condusive to losing weight. I probably mentioned this before...I've read that most of the obese people have sleep apnea which compounds the problem because their bodies rythyms are way off to repair and metabolize fat.

Yeah, I agree about men having the advantage. They have more muscle mass than women so they burn calories and fat more efficiently too. But if you look at Jillian, she is not cushy! Of course, sometimes, I wonder if she's half male by her demeanor! Just kidding. I was looking at the reviews of her DVD 30 day Shred. This one woman said I don't know how come there are many 5 stars because this woman will swear and talk condensending - like she's a verbal abuser! Wow! I didn't buy the DVD but mainly because #1) I have her Trouble Zones and hardly used it and #2) The reviews say this one is the hardest and they are advanced!

I'm thinking of doing her Trouble Zones tonight and skipping the gym. I will say this...when I do her DVD - I am sore for 3 days. A big difference than the gym. This one lady said on Amazon that after doing 30 Day Shred, she can't sit on the toilet without PAIN!

I'll check back later.

Donna, where are you????????????????????
Old 07-22-2009, 06:46 AM   #1181
Major LCF Poster!

Linda-wish the whoosh fairy would visit me. Always hard to figure out WHY it happened, and if we try to do the same thing again, for some reason it doesn't happen. Somewhere on the boards somebody gave a good explanation of it, but of course I can't remember who or where.

I would never buy a DVD where somebody is anything other than encouraging. Condescending?? No thank you!

Stil dealing with some personal stuff, BUT not drinking and so far sticking to my VLC. Losing slowly-.3 today after 1436 cals and 1% carbs, but, hey it's better than gaining.

I spice rubbed and then slow cooked in the oven a pork shoulder, and although it was very tender and succulent, it didn't have a lot of flavor, unlike when I just rub a regular pork roast with herbs and roast at higher heat. Don't understand why. I've done this before and it was really good. Of course, I don't remember what I rubbed it with last time, but probably about the same as this time-s&P, crushed fennel, paprika, thyme, Italian seasoning, can't remember what else... It's almost 6 pounds, so I will use it for most of the week.

Here's another thing I don't understand-I weigh my chix thighs before and after eating (bones) and usually come up with around 7 ounces. I had 7oz of pork last night and it was a LOT. It doesn't feel or even look like that much with the chicken...

DH and I MAY (and that's a big may) join the health club. He says he needs to get back in shape, but says he doesn't like working on machines, and would rather walk. Well, we've been talking about walking for 25 years and have yet to do it-maybe this will get us going. On the other hand, I'm not sure if I would want to work out with him, and in fact he would probably do it at a different time of day than I. On the other hand, if we did it together, we could be sure that we are doing it. (Do you get it that I am a Libra??)

"If you're afraid of butter, add a little cream" Julia Child

Last edited by Scotty; 07-22-2009 at 06:51 AM..
Old 07-22-2009, 08:47 AM   #1182
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Well, I hope you join the gym because you will find it makes a difference.

Seeing other people with sweat and grunts gets me motivated. They are working harder than I am and it gives me the motivation to do better and more. There is a lady there in her 30's and I noticed that she walks with a gimp (Multiple Scerosis maybe) and she is there many times I am there. Yesterday when I went to do just cardio, she walks in with a "walker". Yet, when she works out, she doesn't use it. Later that night when I went back, she was there again. I have to admire her courage because I'm sure it hurts her like he##! And when I hear of people coming down with cancer or heart attacks at my age or younger, I think - here I am, no diseases, perfectly capable of preventing diseases, can live, work and love without pain - so, a little bit of discomfort and time to get myself healthier is not a sacrifice at all - - it's a priviledge.

Right now I'm making at work a self-created recipe...Zucchini Lasagna.
It has ground mild Italian Sausage, mushrooms, onions, mozzarella and Newman's Own Speg sauce. I've never made it before so we'll see. I cut the zucchini lengthwise and now it's being sauteed in butter to get it soft. I'll make it today and heat it up tomorrow for lunch. That 72 yr old customer is coming tomorrow for another session with me so perhaps she'll join us. Last time, I made us eggs and bacon. She likes to stay to chat afterwards and I have to eat afterwards so I offer.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:43 AM   #1183
Major LCF Poster!

Seeing other people wouldn't necessarily motivate me, and I HATE to sweat!! We'll see. There are so many other things in my life right now, that i'm certainly not going to obsess over that OR any thing else.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:28 AM   #1184
Major LCF Poster!

Although I hesitate to mention it, after a good day of 1224 cals, 57% fat, 2% carbs, and 41% protein, I am back up the .5 I lost yesterday.

Had fun with Maxwell yesterday when I was babysitting. He is a real angel, but wonder how it will be when his baby brother is born, right after he turns two.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:30 AM   #1185
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atkinsgoddess View Post
Seeing other people wouldn't necessarily motivate me, and I HATE to sweat!! We'll see. There are so many other things in my life right now, that i'm certainly not going to obsess over that OR any thing else.
I don't like to sweat either - but I know if I do, the fat is burning. As I've mentioned before, by putting a cold wet paper towel around my neck, it cools me down and I just sweat in my temples and forehead and hardly notice it. I used to get sun strokes as a kid so I am not a fan of over-heating my body from the memories of that. I take showers in the gym and the last 5 mins, I run cold water. So refreshing....
Old 07-23-2009, 10:02 AM   #1186
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: mommy_gates
Stats: 170/145.0/140 (5'6"-57 years old)
WOE: Weight Watchers
Start Date: November 2013
Quote:
Donna, I just read some of the Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle this morning before work. He said no matter what diet you are on, you will lose some weight for a little while but without exercise, you will STALL and what did you "really" lose? Probably water and muscle. Exercise builds muscle and muscle burns fat. The combination of healthy eating (whether it is low carb or high carb), combined with cardio and weight training is the combination that you will lose weight, period. He says that if you are eating right and exercising and you are not losing, then you need to see a doctor for thyroid or candida testing. This is all that I've already told you, but you don't want to exercise or see a doctor so I don't know what else to tell you.

You've just been through the Atkins Induction dilligently yet you have not loss the amount you want. That is a red flag that either you need exercise to build the muscle or you need to get checked for thyroid or candida overload. Even Atkins talks about Candida people that makes it near impossible to lose weight - even his way.

The recent gain I had was explainable - not excuseable. I know I have to clean up my diet. My thyroid is fine, no diabetes and candida isn't too out of balance because I've been taking Caprylic acid in a pill form to kill the yeast. My yeast infection went away that I had last week. I ate loads of refined bread, deep fried appetizers last week. Despite my excercising - I gained 3 lbs but how much would I gain if I didn't? I also want to do lunges for the stubborn thigh fat. When I don't see results, I adjust.

I'm not judging you at all but you are at a plateau some you need to change something or at least deal with any obstacles you may have medically. Just my humble opinion.
HI Linda....You couldn't of said it better...you're right on the money on this ...combination of good eating habit and regular exercise(cardio and weight trainning) will get the weight off..there's no two ways about it..

If your not losing...it's either you're consuming to many calories or not exercising enough...cut down on one or up lift on the other,,it is simple when you think about it...but so hard to do....

Sorry for butting in...but i thought that was so well said ...had to let you know....

later
mommy_gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 08:06 PM   #1187
Senior LCF Member

I agree about the exercise. I haven't exercised for two weeks as I've been ill. Even though I am keeping the calories low - the pounds are starting to creep up. I'm getting back to the gym and my workout video tomorrow.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:40 AM   #1188
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey Gaets! Glad to see you found my main board!

I got the Making the Cut by Jillian Michaels and read it last night. It's to lose those 10-20 lbs but you must follow it closely. I don't think I'll jump on doing it but I have learned some exercise tips that I didn't know and a tip I just started doing and she said it's great. She calls it the reversed pyramid. That is when you start the weights (either by machines or hand weights) at the highest percentage weight that you can do "correctly in form" and do as many reps as you can - then "lower" the weight and do more reps.

Another good thing is if you can go to the gym in the morning and say, just do cardio - then come back in the evening and do the weight/resistance exercises, that makes your body burn fat twice a day and twice as much. Sometimes I do that - if I have time and I do like to break it up.

One thing I didn't know that helps you not get so sore is to one day work all the muscles in the front and the next gym trip, work the muscles in the back. And drink water before, during and after exercise.

I took the quiz in the book and I am a fast oxidizer and should shoot to eat 30% carbs, 40% protein and 30% fat. Fat and protein slow down the fast digestion of the fast oxidizers. She says people that did well on Atklins usually fall into the fast oxidizers. So, the carbs come mostly from veggies and maybe Ezekial bread now and then. The recipes in the book look good and is divided into the different oxidizers for ease.

The whole concept is great; however, it is time consuming to count calories, carbs, fats and proteins and to buy all the food for her recipes would be costly. I mean Dungeonous Crab for a crab salad? You can tweak a little on the food but not much. Most of the exercises are based on home exercises. At my gym, the free weights and ball area can get congested and jumping from the mats to a machine can be cumbersome. But I take hints from alot of these books and use what I think is good and throw out the rest.

Last night at 9:30, I did her Trouble Zones DVD - just warm up and the leg and arm exercises. I felt bad not going to the gym yesterday but I had a busy day yesterday at work. Today I'm planning on going.

Any plans you guys have for the weekend?
Old 07-24-2009, 09:47 PM   #1189
Senior LCF Member

I went to the doctor today instead of the gym. The bladder infection is still alive and kicking. Darn! We're driving into Arizona tomorrow to see my husband's parents. Sunday I should be able to do elliptical since there's no impact on the insides.

My weight has gone up. And again, I haven't been eating any more that I had the weeks before. The only difference is the exercise, or lack thereof. I think that as women, we unfortunately have to work harder as we age. I try to get up and walk around when I can at work - but other than that - I'm parked in a chair in front of a computer for 8+ hours.
Old 07-25-2009, 03:54 AM   #1190
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Saturday 7/25/09

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMonkey View Post
I went to the doctor today instead of the gym. The bladder infection is still alive and kicking. Darn! We're driving into Arizona tomorrow to see my husband's parents. Sunday I should be able to do elliptical since there's no impact on the insides.

My weight has gone up. And again, I haven't been eating any more that I had the weeks before. The only difference is the exercise, or lack thereof. I think that as women, we unfortunately have to work harder as we age. I try to get up and walk around when I can at work - but other than that - I'm parked in a chair in front of a computer for 8+ hours.
Wow, you've had that bladder infection for a while. Do you get them often?
Don't worry a bit about exercising now - you're body is probably busy enough on working on the infection.

I agree, as we get older, we have to work harder to keep our weight down. Mother Nature's tendency is to "pad us well" for our "old" age later. So, we are actually going against the grain plus the hormones change i.e, our growth hormones decrease among other caveats that decrease. My job now has me sitting all the time too unless I clean the store or tend to customers which isn't too often, unfortunately. When I worked at the Bank, I got more walk around time and I used the stairs instead of the elevators and I sprinted from department to department. People meandering would see me coming and jump out of the way.

Have a nice trip to in laws. Did you ever use that stuff AZO? That doesn't replace antibiotics or bladder relaxers (imo) but I wonder if it helps with the symtoms?

I hope you get well soon.
Old 07-25-2009, 06:22 AM   #1191
Senior LCF Member

I have a prescription for the bladder pain (it also has an antibacterial agent). The doctor did say that AZO was almost the same as the regular prescription. Yes, I have chronic infections. That's what the surgery should fix. (Crossing my fingers.)

I know what you mean about sticking to the fat, carb and protein ratios. We can use Fit Day and get a feel for it ourselves, or stick to her menus. I'm thinking of trying her menus to make life easier.

Have you seen a new show on the Sci Fi channel - Warehouse 13? It's fun. And the episodes are all online (there's only been 3 so far).
Old 07-25-2009, 06:53 AM   #1192
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:

Have you seen a new show on the Sci Fi channel - Warehouse 13? It's fun. And the episodes are all online (there's only been 3 so far).
Yes! Mike and I started watching it from the beginning. That woman really has men issues She must be low carbing.

I watched Rachael Ray yesterday morning at the gym and she mentioned to her host "Do you ever notice people on low carb? They are trim and cranky!"
I like the saying "lean and mean"!
Old 07-27-2009, 05:34 AM   #1193
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good Morniing Girls!

Well, the weekend is over - blahh and I have TOM this fine Monday morn.

I was wondering why my tummy looked like I was 3 months preggie yesterday. I looked at last month's calendar and saw today is the due date Nix on me going to the gym today.

My daughter's settlement date on her house is this Friday and looks like she'll be moving out this weekend. I have mixed feeling about that.

Her being away for 4 yrs of college (except on most weekends) helped quite a bit but it's still hard to believe she is an adult now and soon I'll be 50 and I feel like I'm getting old. My friend and I went out to lunch yesterday and she always likes to shop at the local Goodwill Shop. I found a couple of cute and feminine tops for myself. I brought them home and my husband thinks they're too young for me - something that my daughter would wear. I've never dressed according to my age but now I'm wondering if I hit the threshold of doing just that. I would hate to succumb to looking like a frumby middle aged woman. Oh well, I guess I'm just introspecting.

On other note, it dawned on me to scout out nutrition books for women that are peri-menopausal and found one at Amazon with good reviews called "The Diet Cure". It talks about supplements for peri-meno women. Annette, did you ever read this one?

I also read a interesting article that says that men actually do better on Atkins than women because of the hormones that we have that affect our moods when we don't eat carbs. With limited carbs, females are likely to get depressed and then turn to alcohol to numb the mood. I can't say I disagree with that and I've noticed since I'm not eating sugar, I have a taste for the adult drinks more than ever. It's the sugar craving as well as wanting to the the "edge" off.

Sometimes, I just want to bag the whole dieting concept and just eat what I want and let myself just get frumpy like everyone else my age does. My husband's cousin said to me recently...Linda, you've been killing yourself dieting for 2 yrs now just to keep your cute hourglass figure - why don't you just eat healthy and let nature take it's course? That hit home.

Any thoughts on this? Donna, you've been quiet. Are you ok?
Old 07-27-2009, 10:40 AM   #1194
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: mommy_gates
Stats: 170/145.0/140 (5'6"-57 years old)
WOE: Weight Watchers
Start Date: November 2013
Quote:
Well, the weekend is over - blahh and I have TOM this fine Monday morn.

I was wondering why my tummy looked like I was 3 months preggie yesterday. I looked at last month's calendar and saw today is the due date Nix on me going to the gym today.

My daughter's settlement date on her house is this Friday and looks like she'll be moving out this weekend. I have mixed feeling about that.

Her being away for 4 yrs of college (except on most weekends) helped quite a bit but it's still hard to believe she is an adult now and soon I'll be 50 and I feel like I'm getting old. My friend and I went out to lunch yesterday and she always likes to shop at the local Goodwill Shop. I found a couple of cute and feminine tops for myself. I brought them home and my husband thinks they're too young for me - something that my daughter would wear. I've never dressed according to my age but now I'm wondering if I hit the threshold of doing just that. I would hate to succumb to looking like a frumby middle aged woman. Oh well, I guess I'm just introspecting.

On other note, it dawned on me to scout out nutrition books for women that are peri-menopausal and found one at Amazon with good reviews called "The Diet Cure". It talks about supplements for peri-meno women. Annette, did you ever read this one?

I also read a interesting article that says that men actually do better on Atkins than women because of the hormones that we have that affect our moods when we don't eat carbs. With limited carbs, females are likely to get depressed and then turn to alcohol to numb the mood. I can't say I disagree with that and I've noticed since I'm not eating sugar, I have a taste for the adult drinks more than ever. It's the sugar craving as well as wanting to the the "edge" off.

Sometimes, I just want to bag the whole dieting concept and just eat what I want and let myself just get frumpy like everyone else my age does. My husband's cousin said to me recently...Linda, you've been killing yourself dieting for 2 yrs now just to keep your cute hourglass figure - why don't you just eat healthy and let nature take it's course? That hit home.

Any thoughts on this? Donna, you've been quiet. Are you ok?
Good afternoon Linda...i made that same deduction also this morning...we put too much into trying to perfect ourself and your HC is right by saying... why don't we just eat healthy which consist of portion control and healthy choices and exercise which again cardio and weight trainning and let nature take it's course...so that's exactly what i decided to do...forget about every other program out there...i was going to try this JUDD program...but i know it won't be a way of life so why bother, our bodies gets to a point it doesn't know what the hell we're trying to do...it get confusing just like we are...but i do llike your portion calculation...i think it would be a heathly one...30% of carb and fat and 40% from the proteins...so that's exactly what i'm aiming for...

On a brighter note...i think it's nice sometime to wear some cute little tops...we are not getting older and frumpy we just want to feel femine and sexy..and there's nothing wrong with that...if you feel like wearing them...do....

Talk to you later

~~~GAETS~~~
mommy_gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 01:37 PM   #1195
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Gaets...I was beginning to think I'm talking to myself!
Old 07-27-2009, 08:03 PM   #1196
Senior LCF Member

I'm over here in the Pacific Time Zone, and sometimes I don't get to my computer right away.

Well, I'm turning 50 this weekend, I know what you mean about being a little more conservative about the clothes and accessories. I almost bought this cute bag to use for my gym clothes, and then decided it was too "young."

We're definitely battling nature at our stage in the game. Getting in shape is my main goal. But I feel so much better carrying less weight and being able to run up the hill to the park without passing out.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:00 AM   #1197
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I'm over here in the Pacific Time Zone, and sometimes I don't get to my computer right away.

Well, I'm turning 50 this weekend, I know what you mean about being a little more conservative about the clothes and accessories. I almost bought this cute bag to use for my gym clothes, and then decided it was too "young."

We're definitely battling nature at our stage in the game. Getting in shape is my main goal. But I feel so much better carrying less weight and being able to run up the hill to the park without passing out.
I forget that you are on another time zone but we are not hearing from Donna. Maybe I've upset her - I hope not.

Yes, I with you on wanting to just freaking get toned and healthy. I do feel tons better since I"ve been losing weight and exercising (more limber and not feeling stiff like I'm 80 yrs old). I bought a gym bag too - a white pull string with red,yellow and blue hearts around it and thought maybe it was too young too. But I'm keeping it as my shower bag. I'm still looking for a not so big but not so small locker bag to keep a weeks worth of shorts, tops, undie and bras in it. Walmark had nothing. They are next to the gym so it would have been convenient to see one there.

I was planning on low carbing all this week because of TOM but last night I blew it but meeting my daughter at a swanky Italian restaurant and having a personal pizza w/veggies and meat. I only had 2 small slices and it was thin crust. Oh well...at least I know what to do when the water weight comes back on. I"ve been cutting down on the salt as well - at least not adding it to what I"m eating. I'm up 3 lbs - oh well, I saw 139 for a day at least.

I've read on a site that for every few ounces of "carbs" - your body holds 5 lbs of water. The way to get rid of it is to go low carb, drink lots of water and cut way back on the salt. Nothing new but a good reminder to me. A pickle they said can hold 5 lbs of water on you because of the salt content.
Not that I eat many of those but I am a salty person.

I'm skipping the gym again today - the 2nd day of TOM is heavy and crampy. I have a Lightworkers Meeting tonight going on for "earth healing" so I'll have to pound the weights later this week (pun intended).

Have a great day, girls. Donna, drop us a line - - concerned on how you're doing.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:49 PM   #1198
Senior LCF Member

Oh my gosh, I didn't know our bodies retained so much water because of carbs. I thought it was because we were not drinking enough water, or from salt.

I asked the hubby to use Sea Salt on my steak tonight. I heard Sea Salt is easier on our bodies and doesn't cause as much bloat. My fingers puff up like marshmallows after eating chips.

My weight is bouncing around, but I haven't gained inches.

Wow! You're a Light Worker? Do you listen to Coast to Coast?
Old 07-28-2009, 07:52 PM   #1199
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yeah, I am a lightworker. My husband listens to Coast to Coast and tells me about it. I don't have the patience to listen to talk radio but he likes it.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:31 AM   #1200
Major LCF Poster!

Long lost poster checking in, since nobody else is!!!

I've been doing some weight work, which I don't hate, and is supposed to be good for loss.

Per ****** my stats for 7/17-today are:
cals 1363 This is including two days of 1000 cals for the fat fast
fat 65%
carbs 3%
protein 34%

July 17 I weighed 158.9. Yesterday I weighed 155.8, and today, after low cal/carb and some ex. again, I weigh 156.4 for a total of 2.5 lost since 7/17. (on June 1 I also weighed 158.9, so I could also say I've lsot 2.5 lb in 2 months-all in how you spin it....)I guess that's pretty good, but for so stringent an induction I was hoping for more-I have a social even this Sat. that I wanted to look good for. I just don't seem to be able to get below 155-I've flirted with it three or four times in the last 7 months.

I honestly don't understand the up and down-.3 down, .6 up. Hormones are not involved, and nothing really changes in my life...not complaining, just wondering-insulin? I don't think so-candida? I don't think so, but will only know for sure when I see doc, which isn't for over a month from now (new patient).

Last edited by Scotty; 07-30-2009 at 07:17 AM..