Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2009, 06:05 AM   #91
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BlueTopaz
Stats: 160/156/140
WOE: whatever works
Start Date: 10 years ago - Height 5' 7"
Tuesday 8:44 am

You did really good in your numbers! Don't worry about 1 lb. - it's water weight - you would have had to eat 3500 calories to gain 1 lbs of fat.
I have a feeling that if you repeat those #'s today - you will lose that 1 lb or more tomorrow.

Yeah, I was disappointed with the biscuits. I even added thyme, garlic and onion powder for flavor in case the flour was ick. I'll keep using it because I bought 10 lbs last summer. Yesterday was the 1st I'd used it.

The "Lemon Squares" I printed off of the Carbquik.com website. 6g carbs per square though. But, seems like a simple recipe but I'll wait until I'm in another stage of Atkins.

Talking about desserts....

I made the cheesecake with pecans, almonds and walnuts last summer as a crust (recipe from the recipe board here) and that turned out great. I ate a piece and froze the rest. Never got around eating it all. Husband and daughter wouldn't help because of it being low carb.

Now, I see in my 3 ring binder as I write a recipe for Peanut Butter Fudge - 20 pieces - 2.2 gram carb - no carbquik, just butter, peanut butter, cream cheese, splenda and vanilla flavored protein whey powder - that sounds promising except we are not allowed nuts during Induction.

The cheesecake I made in the summertime was when I was trying to do low carb on my own.

I see here a recipe I'll try with Carbquik - Cinnamon Bubble Loaf. I would double up on the cinnamon to mask the taste of the flour. That'll be my next dessert - no carb count. I might have to figure it out with ******. It calls for 3 T of sugar free brown sugar syrup??? Don't have it - but I have Diabetic Sweet Brown Sugar that I got at my local grocery store.

Last night I made SF Black Cherry Jello - but didn't eat it. May have that after supper tonight. I looked in my pantry and saw what I thought was vanilla SF pudding and it's White Chocolate! My, aren't they getting fancy with the flavors! I didn't make it last night because my carb count was too close to the 20g max. I'll report what I ate yesterday when I get into work. Running out of time now at home.

Talk to you later!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2009, 08:30 AM   #92
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Scotty
Stats: 174/160.9/140- 5' 7.5" born in 1946
WOE: Enjoying JUDDD's freedom after years of low carb
Start Date: Every day!!! JUDD start 1/13/12
Just a quickie to add WHAT WATER WEIGHT???
Stats for 1 month-1693 cals, 60% fat, 6% carbs (26.5gross/6.2 fiber), and oh, yeah, the alcohol. ....Well, none for a week and not planning any (UNLESS I DON'T LOSE ANY THIS WEEK!!! )

I did ok because I was at rehearsal last night, and was gone from 6:30 till 10:30...no snacking I guess.

I would have been happy with a pound loss a week (since 1/2/09)....something.....

Where is everyone else? We'll chat this up all on our own, but would sure appreciate some company...

"If you're afraid of butter, add a little cream" Julia Child

Last edited by Scotty; 03-03-2009 at 08:35 AM..
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 05:39 PM   #93
Major LCF Poster!

I'm done for the day-
Had the usual chix for lunch w 1C baby lettuce and 1T Greek dressing; cococandies for snack; 6pz salmon pan roasted; fennel roasted with olive oil and parm; asparagus/hollandaise; going to have my cream cheese/sour cream "mousse" in a little while. Not hungry, but my mouth wants something rich
1561 cals;
73% fat-is that too much?
20.8 gross carbs/6.5 fiber for a net of 14.3
22% protein
0% alcohol
Maybe, just maybe I will have a whoosh tomorrow??

Linda, et al, where are you??
Old 03-03-2009, 05:45 PM   #94
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AMonkey
Stats: 158/129/125
WOE: Organic Whole Foods
Start Date: October 2008
Sugar Free Candies

I need to get another Atkins book (I lent mine away), but in the meantime, I'd like to get some real-life comments about eating sugar free candy while on the ladder.

Anything sweet seems to trigger a desire for more sweet. I think that's why it's easier to stick to induction for too long for we sweet tooths.

I'm about 5 pounds away - and finding this part harder than the begining.
AMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:43 PM   #95
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Tues

Quote:
Originally Posted by atkinsgoddess View Post
I'm done for the day-
Had the usual chix for lunch w 1C baby lettuce and 1T Greek dressing; cococandies for snack; 6pz salmon pan roasted; fennel roasted with olive oil and parm; asparagus/hollandaise; going to have my cream cheese/sour cream "mousse" in a little while. Not hungry, but my mouth wants something rich
1561 cals;
73% fat-is that too much?
20.8 gross carbs/6.5 fiber for a net of 14.3
22% protein
0% alcohol
Maybe, just maybe I will have a whoosh tomorrow??

Linda, et al, where are you??

Donna, Sorry, my work computer has virus's and won't let me get on Lowcarbfriend - being trying all day. Norton anti virus comprehensise scan says they're viruses but won't do anything! I cannot go on any website without it blocking! I will probably have to restore but have to back up my important files and that'll take a while.

Your figures are fine - Remember the guideline: Fat 60-100% fat, Protein- 20-30%, Carbs: 20 grams. Remember to drink as much as you can with (8) 8oz. glass of water daily. Maybe that helped me this weekend because I was soooo thirsty I did drink my quota - today...not so. Gotta flush the fat and let your kidney's do their thing.

When I got into work, I weighed in and was 2 lbs lighter from Friday! Surprised, since I ate a little bit more yesterday but kept my carbs at 19.9! So, a total of 4 lbs loss - did not measure myself. Today - Breakfast: none. After work, I met my daughter at Red Lobster tonight and had 1lb. crap legs, 2 stalks of broccoli, butter, salad w/blue cheese dressing - 1 T. Lunch was left overs from yesterday. A little bit of everything...2 thin slices of roast beef, 2 T fried cabbage w/ghee, 1 stuff mushroom w/crab, 2 T cauliflower mashed potatoes w/cheddar, carquik biscuit (yuk, boss didn't like them either - thought I put in artifical sugar - but didn't). I thought maybe the biscuits flour taste would mellow out from yesteray - nope. I didn't get to do ****** because of the computer problems at work. Will try to do it tonight. Don't count on me writing after 10:00 am tomorrow. I start work around 10:30 am. and work until 4:00. Tomorrow night, meeting my friend at the mall for our walk-about. Will get online after I come home.

Boss lost 9lbs since last Monday - but obese people loose alot of water weight the 1st 2 weeks. He's feeling punky with digestive issues - feeling like he has a hernia or something. I had a few rough days of fatigue but I told him to stick it out. He likes my cooking and the food choices but he also notices his elimination processes changing. Obese people put alot of emphasis in that - I don't know why but he's writing that off by his eating less. His obese mother was the same way - always talking about her bowels. The acorn doesn't fall far from the tree! My mom was a german-descent stocky woman as I mentioned earlier and she used to give herself ememas (sp?) I think to lose weight. She also had a box of this appetitie suppresant candies called Ayd's that looked like a box of caramels. When I was a kid, I saw these in the kitchen drawer and took one and my mom told me I am not to eat them -they are diet candy. Never my bag to do that stuff but I take herbal colon cleanses for intesinal health now and then.

My ketosis sticks are showing NOTHING now. Zip. No bad breath or anything.

Now, I'm going off in tangents. I'll get on ****** and do my figs and give you my averages. okey, doke?
BlueTopaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 07:18 PM   #96
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Tues - ****** figures

Okay Donna,

Todays (Tuesday) ******:
Calories: 1,345, Fat: 44%, Carbs: 18, Protein: 30%

****** Average: 2/16 to 3/3/09:
Calories: 1434, Fat: 62%, Carbs: 5%, Protein: 29%

AMonkey: You only have 5 lbs till your goal. Think about going on OWL and adding 5 more grams to your 20 gram carbs that was allowed on induction.

As far as sugar free candy? Depends on the carb count. If eating them along with your other foods still has you within 20-25 carbs - you may still lose your 5 lbs. For some, it causes a stall. If you cannot lose those 5 lbs eating sugar free candy, then stay away from them.

Don't stay on Induction too long ...you should be thinking about adding 5 grams of carbs in fruits to get a balance of foods in your diet. Go to Atkins.com and look up the fruits to see what is available in low carb fruits with 5 grams to work with.

Congrats on coming soooo close to your goal!
Old 03-04-2009, 04:25 AM   #97
Major LCF Poster!

Well, I'm back down the pound again-so, in other words, same weight I was a week ago. Stix have no color today. WHAT is going on??? I'll try to drink more today. Can't think of anything else to do....except.....shudder..... exercise. I'm going to measure this weekend, but I know I haven't lost any inches. So after a week of extremely clean eating, I have lost a net of nothing.

Glad those two pounds are gone! TMI from your boss! But it sounds like you two are close-that's nice. Do you cook for him??? If it's not too personal, what do you do?-Just wondering since you say you weigh at work.

Too bad those legs were crap... (see your post)

Monkey-you are so close to goal-try to stay away from the candies, and you said it yourself-they trigger the desire for more-step away...step away...

I don't know what else to do with my eating to get going on the weight loss, but I keep wondering if the light stix mean anything. I know everyone says that they don't necessarily mean anything, but as I recall, last time I used them they remained at least a trace and usually moderate.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:26 AM   #98
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wednesday

Try limiting calories (skip breakfast) or :::shudder:::: excercise. Sometimes, excercise is just what we need to re-set our metabolism. Start off small though. Jog in place, dance to you favorite music and kick up your legs (when noone's looking ), sit ups...

I'll say! Tried to get him to stop detailing his personal details for 5 yrs ago but gave up. We are 8 yr old friends-met at a church that does Reiki healing. He has money and wanted to re-open a building he owned in the middle of Amish country. It's a jewelry/gift shop that offers energy healing. Never busy (except yesterday) - bad location for sales. He's retired and just paints canvases and makes jewelry (we are overstocked) and talks and talks and talks. I am store manager which means I do all the work. So, with time on our hands, I have been trying to get him healthy. We have a website (see my profile). I work on the website but doesn't generate sales either. May I ask you what line of work do you other than financial. Bank, Investment or AIG?

Whatever I make for my DH and I - I"ll make extra for him. He pays some of the food bill. He lives alone

C R A B = proper spelling :laugh

Last edited by BlueTopaz; 03-04-2009 at 06:28 AM..
Old 03-04-2009, 08:01 AM   #99
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AMonkey
Stats: 158/129/125
WOE: Organic Whole Foods
Start Date: October 2008
Oh my gosh - I remember those candies. Didn't they change their name or stop making the product because of the name (too close to AIDS). As for the bowel thing - I don't think we get enough magnesium in our diet when we're low carbing. Supplements are a must for smooth movin' if you know what I mean.
AMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:35 AM   #100
Major LCF Poster!

Yup I remember AYDS too, and they basically went out of business with the advent of AIDS. I remember using them ages ago-they went under the premise of "you'll ruin your appetitie if you eat before the meal".

LInda, I was in great shape when I was out of a job for two years-mostly with Pilates -"Pilates for Dummies" tape, and a "butt" tape, but when went back to work got out of the habit, and the tape died of old age... I have a WW workout tape that is pretty good, and a "walk away the pounds" that I've done once, so it's all there, except for the motivation.

I'm leery of lowering calories, since I'm hungry on the amount I'm eating now, so I guess we know the answer...

I work for Wachovia Securities brokerage. I have a stock broker's license (I was a music major in college-how the heck did I get here????) but don't have a "book of business". I support 3 brokers operationally, etc. , and it has not been a pretty few months.

Tried to find website in your profile-nothing there or maybe I don't know how to find it.

Last edited by Scotty; 03-04-2009 at 08:36 AM..
Old 03-04-2009, 06:19 PM   #101
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wednesday 3/4/09

Hmmmm, wait till you hear this....

I worked at Wachovia Bank and its predecessors for 25 yrs in the Agri Business Lending Department. I originally worked for American Bank and then it changed to Meridian Bank which was the golden years and I loved it. Then, Corestates took over, then First Union, then Wachovia when I finally had it with Banking. Our long term customers were numbers anymore and the department was being sold off and I quit. My husband, the Libra as you are, also had a license to sell stocks, life insurance but decided not to pursue it and is glad he didn't during these times now. I bet the stress level has your cortisol way up and may be the culprit to you not losing weight. There is a over-the-counter diet pill for that but I don't know how good it is.

Funny, how you cross paths with people that are similar to you.

Do you think your appetite is tied to stress? For the life of me, what I see you eat sounds right on spot - the right foods prepared by you not pre-packaged stuff. The other diets you've been on - like Weight Watchers - were you hungry all the time then? What was your appetite like as a kid and how has it changed, if any? Can you see any patterns? Sorry for the 20 questions. Trying to help you figure it out.

I have always been know to have a large appetite and bragged that I can out eat most men but since being on Atkins, my appetitie is almost non-existent. I can eat but I have to remind myself it's time to eat. A huge milestone for me.

In any event, excercise is known to reduce stress and if stress is the cause of appetite and hoarding calories, then excercise will serve you in more ways than one. I've only started myself and it's been hard to get motivated for me especially in the winter months when I feel like hibernating like a bear. But I know that I have to do it.

Are you drinking 8 - 8oz glasses of water or close to it?

(I had to sneak another quesion in...)

I'll try to private message you because I don't think we're allowed to advertise our websites on boards.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:20 PM   #102
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMonkey View Post
Oh my gosh - I remember those candies. Didn't they change their name or stop making the product because of the name (too close to AIDS). As for the bowel thing - I don't think we get enough magnesium in our diet when we're low carbing. Supplements are a must for smooth movin' if you know what I mean.

I take magnesium every other night before I go to bed. Works like a charm.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:00 PM   #103
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wed, 3/4/09 - Menu

Wednesday's meals and ****** figs:

Breakfast: none

Lunch: 1/4 lb. hamburger, fried w/1 slice cheddar cheese, fried onion, 1 teas. mayo, 1 cup of lettuce salad with 1 Tbsp. Greek Gazebo dressing

Dinner: Subway Tuna Salad on lettuce w/a little green pepper, little red onion w/Chipote dressing - 1 or 2 Tablespoon. Ate all the tuna and 1 cup of the salad - could not eat it all.

******:

Calories: 839
Fat: 51.6
Carbs: 12.4
Protein: 78.8

Too low on calories so later tonight, I'll eat some left over chicken and a SF Black Cherry jello. Protein is too high in percentage with the rest - if I eat chicken - it will be higher.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:35 AM   #104
Major LCF Poster!

Linda,
Loved your website-interesting work! You are very pretty. You need to get more calories in-don't want to get in starvation mode. That question about the protein is a good one. How to up the calories without upping the pro. Drink some fat???
Answers-*if anything I don't eat when stressed-mouth gets dry and can't eat.
*Yeah, was pretty hungry on WW...
* always had a good appetite, but up to 5 yrs old didn't eat much of anything; got tonsils out and started eating...slight weight problem at puberty and been fighting it ever since.
* We were out with an acquaintance once, and he said "I don't know how Donna can stay so thin. She sure can eat! And I can!!!
Right now at 7:30am, I am not particularly hungry, as such, but could certainly eat. I am bring my bkfst to work and eat a half portion today and half portion tomorrow, since by noon I am starving-maybe a smaller later bkfst will work.
*I am drinking water but probably not enough.

Yesterday-
B-the usual
L-the usual
D-6oz herbed pork chop sauteed in evoo, with a pan sauce made of wine, butter and a bit of cream and cream cheese ; fauxtatoes. I think I may weigh them wrong, but the scale said 6oz.
S 1 coco oil candy
cal 1493
carb 15.3 gross/10.1 net=4%
fat 69%
protein 27%

Last edited by Scotty; 03-05-2009 at 04:36 AM..
Old 03-05-2009, 05:44 AM   #105
Major LCF Poster!

OH-stix are trace to moderate today...
Old 03-05-2009, 05:58 AM   #106
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thursday 3//5/09

Donna,
I did get hungry last night while I was on LowCarbFriends and had 1 cup SF Black Cherry Jello, 4 oz. leftover chicken and about 7 of the cubes of Kraft Cheddar Cheese which changed my figures and balanced out my protein (cheese) because cheese is mostly fat:

Calories: 1471
Fat: 58%
Carbs: 5% (18.5 grams)
Protein: 37%

So, now we know we don't have to drink fat - just eat fat in the form of cheese!

What are these fauxpotatoes about? I hear about it. Is it something that Netrition sells or do you make it with cauliflower? I know you love them.

When you made those flax crackers, did you bake or nuke them? I did search on the web and another low carb board person said they used the 1 part flax meal w/1 part water. I would like to make them and use herbs, onion and garlic powder. I had 2 flops on Monday - the Cauliflower Crusted Pizza and the Carbquik biscuits. The pizza crust was 1 cup riced/cooked cauliflower mixed with mozz. cheese and that didn't go far so I spread it out on a metal cake pan and it completely stuck so I ended up with pizza toppings.
I have a few more low carb pizza recipes to try but this week is busy.

Tonight, I have a follow up appt with my allergy doctor. I've gone to him for about 6 months and get shots every week. When he recommended sinus surgery and I got it done on 12/30 this year - that helped too. I also use a sinus wash and antishistamine spray once a day. All those things helped and I'll tell him. He's probably going to be shocked - doctors don't usually hear about good things they do.

Computer virus at work computer will hopefully be fixed tonight when my boss's son in law comes up tonight. My boss caused the virus by clicking on a website connected with ancestory. At least, he can't blame me on that one! I can't use the internet at all till it is fixed.

When it rains, it pours, yesterday our heater in our store was broke. Freezing all day. We had electric heat back up but it still was cold. That was fixed late yesterday after I'd left.

I'll write later tonight. Maybe you can order another Pilates for Dummies since that seemed to work for you. I hear pilates is hard. I tried to do the Fat Free Yoga w/my daughter and we got up to the Fire of Breath and then it got too hard. DD said this is too advanced for you, mom. She took a yoga class at college and had a hard time with my DVD. But this week, she is doing the DVD because it's a challenge for her. I need to find a excercise tape that has dancing. I always loved to dance and it doesn't seem like work. Don't bother suggesting that Richard Sims dancing with the oldies , I am a 70's and 80's kind of girl! Maybe I should just find my Led Zepplin and Lover Boy tapes!

Have a great day!
Old 03-05-2009, 08:31 AM   #107
Major LCF Poster!

Linda,
Your numbers ended up good. Anything on the scale today?

What are the Kraft cheese cubes?

Fauxtatoes are cauliflowr cooked till soft, mixed with various things depending on recipe-I normally use cream, butter, some parm, sometimes cr. cheese, sometimies sour cream depending on how many calories I want. I then use a stick blender to make them creamy like mashed taters. Yum. My other favorite is fennel sliced and roasted with evoo and parm until tender, brown and yummy.

I nuked the crackers-I made them very thin and put them on parchment until dry. You could probably bake them too, but when I made crackers from another recipe, they got kinda burned on the edges. They are pretty good, but the main thing is to be a carrier for other stuff. And of course the carbs pretty much net out.

I was wondering about the caul. pizza crust. That is Cleo's right? Others have had good luck with it and I was thinking of trying it. Maybe not...although I think her recipe had an egg?

Glad things are working in the allergy dept. I've been sneezing/runny nose a lot lately like allergies, but it's probably cat hair from my beloved "son" Henry.

Surprised going to that site brought on a virus...

Yes, after doing the Pilates almost every day for two years, it was always a challenge. I don't think I need a new dvd-I know the routine by heart!

I get Fire of Breath when I eat too much garlic!! Oh-not the same???

I love to dance too but when I've gotten dance tapes from the library I could never learn the routines fast enough-I'm a 60s girl! Although disco might be fun...let me know if you find a good one.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:23 PM   #108
Major LCF Poster!

Done eating for the day.
Very stressful day, would have loved an "adult beverage" but didn't have one

cals-1581; fat 69% carbs 4% protein 26%

I think cals were up cuz I had pork chop again with pan sauce made with a bit of vermouth and heavy cream, mounted with a bit of butter-thought it would be 6oz but ended up 6.8 for 401 cals-that seems like a lot, I guess, but I ate the fat. Had half my usual breakfast and didn't feel too hungry until lunch when I was hungry. Had roasted fennel and fauxtatoes with dinner, 3 cococandies (=1T cocoanut oil)-I could have done without them and had less cals...oh well

Whooops-and one pork rind-forgot to add that. I think I am getting a bit anal with the ******...1586 cals..

How was everyone else's day?? Linda, have you started OWL or are you going to stay on Induction? Two weeks for you, right?

I am not even expecting a loss tomorrow...even though my stats for 1 week are: 1561 cals; 72% fat; 4% carb; 24% protein. The pounds should be melting off, right? Or at least one per week, right??? Right???

Last edited by Scotty; 03-05-2009 at 04:25 PM..
Old 03-05-2009, 05:32 PM   #109
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Linda,
Your numbers ended up good. Anything on the scale today?

[COLOR="Purple"]No, I didn't weight myself but will probably tomorrow at work. If my computer is up and running, I'll write on this thread.[/COLOR]

What are the Kraft cheese cubes?

[COLOR="purple"]I got them from the supermarket - a new item. Just little cheddar cheese snack cubes. I was popping them like bon-bons after I ate the SF Jello. That darn sugar substitute got me hungry as soon as I ate it. [/COLOR]

Fauxtatoes are cauliflowr cooked till soft, mixed with various things depending on recipe-I normally use cream, butter, some parm, sometimes cr. cheese, sometimies sour cream depending on how many calories I want. I then use a stick blender to make them creamy like mashed taters. [COLOR="purple"]Oh, ok, yes, I made them when I did Atkins before and twice already this time. I also had leftover shredded cauliflower from the pizza try to later make the faux Rice with it. I don't know if it's good yet - from Monday - may have to throw it out. [/COLOR]

Yum. My other favorite is fennel sliced and roasted with evoo and parm until tender, brown and yummy. [COLOR="purple"]I remember you saying about the fennel and I've never tried it fresh (just in dry herb form) so this past Sunday at the grocery store I put it in my cart. The checker couldn't find it in their computer so I said try under "anise" and still it wasn't on their computer so I said let it go.
I was in a rush because of our appt. to see my daughter's house she wanted to show us. Next shopping trip I'll try it - sounds good. I love roasted vegetables expecially red bell pepper, onion, garlic, at one time yams, asparagus drizzed w/EVOO, salt and pepper. Sometimes, after it was done, I would mix lemon juice and this Moroccan spice and drizzle it over.
[/COLOR]

I nuked the crackers-I made them very thin and put them on parchment until dry. You could probably bake them too, but when I made crackers from another recipe, they got kinda burned on the edges. They are pretty good, but the main thing is to be a carrier for other stuff. And of course the carbs pretty much net out. [COLOR="purple"]Do you roll them out and cut them, then put them on a dinner plate and nuke them?[/COLOR]

I was wondering about the caul. pizza crust. That is Cleo's right? Others have had good luck with it and I was thinking of trying it. Maybe not...although I think her recipe had an egg? [COLOR="purple"] Yeah, now that I think about it, it did have egg. If you're going to try it, double the cheese and cauliflower because there's no way that little amount will spread over even a small cookie sheet.[/COLOR]

Glad things are working in the allergy dept. I've been sneezing/runny nose a lot lately like allergies, but it's probably cat hair from my beloved "son" Henry.
Cat dander is #2 on the highest of my allergies.

[COLOR="purple"]We have a cat at our store that was a stray hanging around my house 4 yrs ago and I brought him in. I never get reactions though and won't get rid of him. He's got personality! On my website, where it says to take the TOUR, Merlin our cat takes you around the store! [/COLOR]

Surprised going to that site brought on a virus... [COLOR="purple"]I think it was an advertiser on that site that claimed to provide you "more" information about your ancestory and that's what did it. [/COLOR]

Yes, after doing the Pilates almost every day for two years, it was always a challenge. I don't think I need a new dvd-I know the routine by heart!

I get Fire of Breath when I eat too much garlic!! Oh-not the same???
[COLOR="purple"]I eat garlic and onions every day. DH said it leaked out of my pores! He's used to it now. [/COLOR]

I love to dance too but when I've gotten dance tapes from the library I could never learn the routines fast enough-I'm a 60s girl! Although disco might be fun...let me know if you find a good one.
[COLOR="purple"]Will do![/COLOR]
Old 03-05-2009, 05:50 PM   #110
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Done eating for the day.
Very stressful day, would have loved an "adult beverage" but didn't have one

[COLOR="Purple"]My boss at the Bank used to say to me after a stressful day to go home and have a Burbon on the rocks like he does. I only drank a couple of times a year back then. Now that I"m out of the Bank, I drink more especially when I go out to eat which is more now than back then.[/COLOR]

cals-1581; fat 69% carbs 4% protein 26%

I think cals were up cuz I had pork chop again with pan sauce made with a bit of vermouth and heavy cream, mounted with a bit of butter [COLOR="purple"]Sounds delicious! [/COLOR]

Whooops-and one pork rind-forgot to add that. I think I am getting a bit anal with the ******...1586 cals.. [COLOR="purple"]That is funny - 1 whole pork rind! [/COLOR]

How was everyone else's day?? Linda, have you started OWL or are you going to stay on Induction? Two weeks for you, right? [COLOR="purple"]Say what?!?! Not OWL for a while - not until I"m 5 lbs from my goal weight. I'm losing inches but nowhere's near where I wanna be. [/COLOR]

I am not even expecting a loss tomorrow...even though my stats for 1 week are: 1561 cals; 72% fat; 4% carb; 24% protein. The pounds should be melting off, right? Or at least one per week, right??? Right???
[COLOR="Indigo"] It must be those coconut oil candies! Just gotta be! [/COLOR]
Old 03-05-2009, 06:15 PM   #111
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thursday 3/5/09

Thursday's Menu:

Breakfast: none - just instant coffee black

Lunch: scrambled eggs (3) w/sausage crumbles and 3 Poblano Peppers stuffed w/cheddar cheese.

Supper: Mamma Lupe low carb tortilla w/german bologna, mayo, romaine lettuce and a cup of romaine lettuce w/Greek dressing (1 T), 1 chicken thigh.

I made 12 chicken thighs with the recipe DaisyHair gave me on Heroin wings and tried one tonight (above). They turned out pretty good.

****** so far tonight:
Calorie: 1130
Fat: 65%
Protein: 30%
Carbs: 15 grams

I probably will eat some more of the jello and cheddar cubes before I go to bed to bring up my calories.

In the crock pot, I have 12 beef ribs that look like the Flintstone's brontosaurus ribs! They are going to be on slow cook all night and tomorrow morming I'll take them out and bake them tomorrow night w/homemade barbeque sauce. I love Friday nights - The Ghost Whisperer is my favorite show and my husband goes to the movies with his mom every Friday. So, me and my Boxer hang out.

My allergy doc said I only have to get shots 1X every 2 weeks now! My husband's glad for me but not for him (we share the same doc) and his last shot made him a rash so they have to cut back on the dose so it'll be a while till he has to go every 2 weeks. The doc asked how he was and commented that it goes to show not everyone reacts the same with allergies. I have more allergies than DH (Mike) does and yet he reacts to everything more than I do. Mike also had bad asthma when he was a kid - that went away when he was 21 yrs old but then the allergies replaced it. He has tons of food sensitivites too so his diet is limited. He can have sweet potato bread and bagels, chips, chocolate, sugar, all meats and veggies but doesn't like all meats and veggies. Can't have rice, wheat, any grains except oats, bananas, pineapple.

Gonna get my shower and hunker down for the night. I'll write tomorrow.
Old 03-06-2009, 04:27 AM   #112
Major LCF Poster!

Still at 159-stix pink.
7:25 and not too hungry-will have half bkfst again at work. I just think this isn't working this time...obviously...

Linda, no wonder hubby eats the junk if his diet is so restricted.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:41 AM   #113
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Donna,

Do you see the pom poms coming? I, Whitedov1208, am coming to cheer you up!

All week, my stiks were at the lowest level. The 1st week, 1 showed 1 level up. Sometimes ketones don't show up in urine. Besides, 5 yrs ago, my stix were not showing till I went to the severe 1972 version. I hardly ate. Then, I lost! This time, I am eating more...carbs, fats, veggies. I lost big time but still it took 3-4 weeks then BOOM - the weight fell off me too fast. Then, I was not feeling or looking good. Family noticed how my eyes were sunken. As I recall back then, this was my menu...

Breakfast: Atkins Advantage Bar
Lunch: 1 1/2 cups salad and a little lunchmeat
Mid Aft: Atkins Advantage Bar
Supper: 6 oz meat and 1 cup of salad and 1/2 cup of string beans or brocolli
After supper: SF jello
Never drank alcohol
Colon cleanses every day
That's it!

Today, I am wearing the jeans that I wore during the last Atkins adventure and they are a little snug. Measured myself this morning: 1/2" increase in measurements in my arm - no big deal. Now I lost 10" instead of earlier this week of 10 1/2". Oh, and the doctor's office weighed me last night and I was 148 - earlier this week I was 146 - yet I ate less. I still want to weight myself at work because perhaps the doc's scales are higher - but the way these jeans feel - I don't think so.

I also noticed that when I drink alot of water - my weight drops. This is not easy for me to drink so much because I like to sip coffee all day. Last weekend I did drink alot of water and I got rewarded. So, I need to get more disciplined! I could bi*** that I started excercising last weekend and now I gained!

Also, take in account that it is WINTER - we hold water and weight in the winter. When it is warm out, we sweat the calories. So, this time of the year is not going to produce the best results. And so you've gained the same pound and lost it and I am doing about the same. It takes 3500 calories to gain 1 pound. Look it up in the internet! There is no way we ate 3500 calories to gain 1 or 2 pounds and ate 3500 less to lose it. Then, what is it? WATER WEIGHT !!!

I know I've said I'm ordering the 1972 version of Atkins and also the 2002 but I've held off to see if I like this WOE and I am comfortable but today I am. Why do I like it with such skimpy results? I like the food. I like that my appetite is under control. I feel more alert and energetic.

So, what I think I"m going to change is:

1) Drink more water
2) Take colon cleanes, metamucil or more magnesium every day now
3) Eat according to Atkins 72 till I kick start my ketosis and go from there
4) Excercise more but take my vitamins more regularly.
5) Wait until Spring (just around the corner) and walk my dog often. (she's beefed up this winter too and Mike is starting to cut out a little from her food and limit the table treats)

Yeah, I know Mike eats junk food because of his food limitations and he is still slim for it and bless his soul. But it is not easy for a dieter to be around someone that nibbles all the time especiallyl after supper. I just have to deal with it.

So, hang in there, Donna. If you want, when I get the 72 version, I'll go over it with you and we can continue or find some information that we overlooked. I'll private message the info to you if you want.

Remember, you are eating wonderful foods and not gaining more than when you started. You are eating according to the 2002 or later plan and I was just teasing you about the coconut candies. They are probably less calories than the Adkin's bars I ate 5 yrs ago. But I can tell you that if I go back to eating the way I did before, I will need those Atkins bars. Perhaps, that's what I'll need to do.

Also, this yo-yo dieting and switching plans is also making it hard for our bodies to adjust to lose weight. I say, let's stay the course, up our water, excercise more and modify our food intake and be PATIENT. What do you think?
Old 03-06-2009, 09:49 AM   #114
Major LCF Poster!

Don't worry, I'm not giving up, just discouraged. Although I am eating less calories this time, I am not exercising like I did before. BUT I am also not drinking booze like I did before...I feel like I've lived low carb for almost 6 years, even though I did gain 20 pounds, and it's a lifestyle I can live with. Just wish I hadn't let the pounds creep on. I don't do colon cleanses, I figure nature cleanses me well enough...

the 3500 is 3500 extra over what you need to live, so although it isn't possible in a day (well maybe), it could be possible in a couple days, the way I eat!! Although I haven't lately.

What is the difference b/t 72 and 02-the net carb thing mostly? More stringent as to what you can eat?

Not wild about your former menu, and I don't do the bars-I like to eat too much! Like you do.

The candies-I mostly eat them to get the fat in-from all I hear, it's supposed to be very good for you and helps weight loss.

I am trying to drink more water, but probably am not at the 64oz level. Used to do it at WW-was peeing all day long.

My clothes are still exactly as tight on me as they were at the beginning of the year. Bummer.

Wish I weighed 148-I might actually be content at that weight....my dream weight is the lowest I was on atkins-138, but that was also at a time of extreme stress and basically wasn't eating...but I guess as one gets older one should go for the higher rather than the lower weight...

Onward and Upward!!

Last edited by Scotty; 03-06-2009 at 10:00 AM..
Old 03-06-2009, 02:58 PM   #115
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

[COLOR="Navy"]Donna,
I copied and pasted from the LowCarbFriends sticky on Atkins '72. Here it is:
1972 Atkin's plan by the book. [/COLOR]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He allowed fiber to be deducted later on because "HE" found through his own research is was ok to do so without hurting your weight loss.

NOTE* This is from the book, Bantam edition / September 1972 paperback...

Not sixty grams of carbohydrate on this diet but zero grams
Here’s how this diet is significantly different. During the first week on this diet, you cut your intake of carbohydrates down to what is biologically zero.
This creates a unique chemical situation in the body, the one favorable to the fastest possible burning of your body’s stored fat. Ketones are excreted, and hunger disappears.
You see, the first fuel your body burns for energy comes from the carbohydrates you eat and drink. If any carbohydrate is available, your body burns this rather than stored fat-and maintains its old metabolic pathways. But carbohydrates, as such, are not stored in the body beyond forty-eight hours.
So when no carbohydrate is taken in, your body must draw upon the major reserve source of fuel-the stored fat.
It is forced to take a different metabolic pathway. In this process your body converts from being a carbohydrate-burning engine.
This is The Diet Revolution: the new chemical situation in which ketones are being thrown off-and so are those unwanted pounds, all without hunger.
A gradual addition of carbohydrate to keep your body burning it’s fat as fuel. We must maintain this chemical situation if you’re to continue to lose without hunger. And if we add carbohydrate very gradually in tiny amounts-we can do just this… keep your body converted into a fat-burning engine.
So that is just what we do. The second week you might add a few grams of carbohydrate to your diet. Every week thereafter a little more carbohydrate (around five grams) may be returned to the diet.

The Rules of Original Atkins

The Diet Revolution Rules (Level One)
1. Don’t count calories (so why are so many counting them?)
2. Eat as much of the allowed foods as you need to avoid hunger.(see, no limit)
3. Don’t eat when you are not hungry.
4. Don’t feel you must finish everything on your plate just because it is there.
5. Drink as much water or calorie free beverages as thirst requires. Don’t restrict fluids… but it is not necessary to force them either.(It doesn't say anything about 1/2 your body weight in water)
6. Frequent small meals are preferable.
7. If weakness results from rapid weight loss, you may need salt.
8. Everyday take a high-strength multivitamin pill.
9. Read the labels on “low-calorie” drinks, syrups, desserts,. Only those with no carbohydrate content are allowed.

The First Life-Changing Week, eat nothing that is not on the list.
Meat: Steaks, Corned beef, Lamb chops, tongue, Hamburgers, Bacon, Any kind of meat in any quantity—except meat with fillers such as sausage, hot dogs, meatballs, most packaged “cold cuts”
Fowl: Duckling, Turkey, Chicken, Anything with wings, No stuffing
Desserts: Gelatin with artificial sweeteners (e.g., D-Zerta )
Condiments: Salt, pepper, mustard, horseradish, vinegar, vanilla, and other extracts; artificial sweeteners; any dry powdered spice that [i]contains no sugar
Drinks: Water, Mineral water, Vichy, Club soda; Beef or Chicken broth, bouillon; Sugar free diet soda; coffee*, tea, decaffeinated coffee
---------*Special note on caffeine and Diet Cola. Because most heavy people have some hypoglycemia, coffee, which contains caffeine, should be limited to six servings a day (cups). If you know you have low blood sugar, better limit it to three.
Fish: All fish, including canned salmon, tuna; any kind of seafood, including oil-packed and smoked, except oysters, clams, muscles, scallops, and pickled fish
Eggs: Boiled, fried, scrambled, poached, omelet – any style and without limitations(another NO LIMIT)
Salads: Two small green salads a day (each less than one cupful, loosely packed) made only of leafy greens, celery, or cucumbers and radishes. Dressings with vinegar, oil, salt, dry spices, herbs, grated cheese, or anchovies. Or else a sour pickle in place of a salad. Plus… green olives.
Butter & Mayonnaise Fats: Butter, margarine (head New Diet Revolution & eat no margarine with trans fatty acids), oils, shortening (not such a great idea), lard & mayonnaise (fats have no carbohydrates).
Juice: Juice of one lemon or lime
Cheese: Four ounces a day of any hard aged cheese. No cream cheese or cheese spreads.
Heavy Cream: Four teaspoons a day. (Cream has less carbohydrate than milk – so don’t use milk)
Diet Revolution Salad Material: Celery, Chicory, Chinese Cabbage, Chives, Cucumber, Endive, Escarole, Fennel, lettuce, Olives (Green or Black), Onions, Pickles (Sour or Dill), Parsley, Peppers, Radishes, Scallions, watercress.
What Happens After The First Week’s Diet. Most diets are fixed formulas and are therefore short-termed and self-limiting. This diet is fixed only for a week. After that – because it must be a lifetime diet, it is, as variable as are individual tastes.
I’ve labeled the additions of carbohydrate that follow’ second level’, ‘third level’, ‘fourth level’, ‘fifth level’, but in fact the additions are interchangeable and flexible. You can make any of these additions any week that you choose. I am so committed to making this a livable lifetime diet that I am letting you select your own variations, within the rules set up by your biological rulebook.
Put back what you’ve missed the most: The idea is simply to gradually return to your diet first what you missed most. Custom-tailor the diet to suit your carbohydrate additions to suit your lifestyle. All that matters is that you add back to your diet a little carbohydrate at a time, and that you stop adding carbohydrate when you reach your CCL.
How to know when to put back a little carbohydrate: Ask yourself: Are the keto-stix still turning purple? Am I still un-hungry? Have I stopped eating at night? Do I have more energy? Am I still losing weight or inches nicely? Remember, your tape measure is a lot better friend than your scale, not only more accurate, but better able to report on the actual fat (not just temporary water) losses this diet achieves.
The Second Level: Cheesecake for dessert? At each level, remember you add approximately five to eight grams of carbohydrate daily for a week and analyze the results. Most people agree the best way to handle the second level is to add cottage cheese…
The Diet Revolution Vegetables (not for level one): All of the above plus; Asparagus, Avocado, Bamboo Shoots, Bean Sprouts, Beet Greens, Broccoli, Brussels Sprouts, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Chard, Chinese Cabbage, eggplant, Kale, Kohlrabi, Mushrooms, Okra, Onions, Peppers, Pumpkins, Rhubarb, Sauerkraut, Snow Pea Pods, Spinach, String Beans, Summer Squash, Tomatoes, Turnips, Water Chestnuts, Wax Beans, Zucchini Squash

Sample menu, level one:
Breakfast: Scrambled eggs with spicy ham, Diet revolution roll and butter, Bouillon, coffee, or tea
Lunch: Cold cuts sandwich on Diet revolution Roll w/ mayo or mustard, 1 cup of salad (loosely packed), oil & vinegar, or a dressing from the recipe list, Raspberry gelatin, Diet soda, coffee, or tea
Dinner: Chicken soup with Matzoh Balls, Your favorite cut of steak, Caesar salad with Caesar Salad dressing, Gelatin, diet soda, coffee or tea
Snack: baken-ets, stuffed celery, diet soda.

Sample menu, level two:
Breakfast: Lox and stuffed onion omelet, caraway Diet revolution Roll with cream cheese, Bouillon, coffee, or tea
Lunch: Avocado stuffed with crabmeat, Tossed green salad with dressing from recipe list, diet soda, coffee, or tea
Dinner: Mixed grill with garlic Butter Sauce or Béarnaise Sauce, Tossed salad with French Dressing, Gelatin Parfait with whipped cream, diet soda, coffee, or tea
Snack: Assorted smoked fish, Hard cheese, Diet soda

Ok, there it is 'By The Book'
Old 03-06-2009, 03:15 PM   #116
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

[COLOR="Blue"]Donna,

Still there is no way we ate 3500 calories above what we normally eat. Probably 1500-1600 is what calories we need to eat to "maintain" our weight - Atkins or not. Not 1 day nor accumiliative weeks did we add up to 3500 calories above our normal calorie intact. So, it's got to be water weight pounds, which I think comes during the winter months as our body is STORING for reserve as what our ancestors needed to do. Our genes come from our ancestors and I believe it's still relevant to 2009 here and now.[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Blue"]How do we combat it? Excercise. We've got to challenge our excercises to demand more fuel (protein, fats) so it can go on sustaining what we are demanding our muscles to do. You know I'm not an excercise guru so don't take offense. It's the only conclusion I can think of to beat this thing during the winter. When I get out more in the Spring and Summer, I probably won't have to do the ROUTINE's I so hate. But, for now, either I've got to eat like I did 5 yrs ago to reduce my calories or excercise. [/COLOR]

[COLOR="blue"]When I belong to the gym 3 yrs ago, I would do the weights - arms and legs and do 20 mins of treadmill. That little bit of about 45 -50 mins of workout 2-3X a week, I swear the next day I had NO WATER RETENTION. I weighed less the next morning. The days I skipped, I gained. Not fat but water. (that was when I was on the 6 week body makeover). Unfortunately I quit because I had to cook so much on that diet and had no time for the gym plus I got bored by going myself and seeing the same people all eyeing each other up with comtempt!
[/COLOR]
Old 03-07-2009, 06:31 AM   #117
Major LCF Poster!

I don't think I could do that form of Atkins unless it guaranteed (yeah, right) 2 lbs a week. I barely do the salad as it is-I use fennel and cukes instead, although I have been eating a bit of baby lettuces this week.

stats for yest:
cals 1338, but may have been a bit more
fat 60%
carbs 7% 23.9gross/g fiber-this is because I had a large portion of fauxtatoes and that tiny bit of pizza crust, but still ok, right?
protein 33%-so hard to get that down...
alcohol 0%

Scale looks down today-stix lite pink, but as I said it is only accurate to a half pound so it is hard to tell. Going to see if I can get to Target this weekend and look at the digitals-may get up to 60 degrees tomorrow after the deep freeze of last week-well, this IS New england-"if you don't like the weather, wait a minute" !

Babysat our sweet (and I try to be objective) 17 month old grandson last nite-had a tiny, and I mean tiny bite of thin crust pizza, and a half T of decadent choc. gelato. Still stayed OP and was happy with the tastes. Expended some calories dancing with him and chasing him around. Now THAT's exercise to be enjoyed!!

Did 2 miles of WATP today-yay me and at 9:23am not particularly hungry, but I am going to have an extra high fat/low cal day today to see if I can get deeper into ketosis. Going to try to drink my actual quota of water.

Tomorrow I plan to do my WW upper body workout-muscle confusion, dontcha know. Re: summer-I am as much of a slug then as in winter... since I hate to sweat!

Anyone else want to take up my, admittedly humble, ex. challenge?

Last edited by Scotty; 03-07-2009 at 06:32 AM..
Old 03-07-2009, 07:13 AM   #118
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Saturday 3/7/09

Hi Donna: I'm ok with salads but rather have roasted veggies. It's easy anyway.

You did GOOD on your calories. I wouldn't have been able to just eat a little but of pizza crust. In between diets, it was nothing for me to every night, sit and read and eat a 1/2 box of Cheez Its, or a half can of pecans.

B: none
L: 3 chicken thighs (Heroin recipe) w/1 cup salad - blue cheese dressing
S: 1/2 lb. of shrimp sauteed with ghee and garlic powder.
Late Night snack: 4 slices of salami, 2 slices cheddar cheese inside a romaine lettuce (that was really good).

******:
Calories: 1167
Fat: 61%
Protecin: 36%
Carbs: 9.2

I want to get a digital scale for home too. What brand is the most accurate?

I have to check my keto stix today next time I do a potty run.

Can't wait till my daughter has kids. She said in about 12 yrs!

CONGRATS ON STARTING EXCERCISE! You go girl! PROUD OF YA!

Last night, my Boxer - Safi-Sue was staring at me (pleadingly) all night so I took her for a walk. She actually took me for a walk - briskly up a steep hill and on the way back she wants to sprint - so I ended up jogging up the hill partially and said "slow down" and she did. My cat at work prompts me every morning to chase him around the store. He actually paws at me while I"m sitting and then when I reach for him - he runs and squeals in delight. I swear these pets are intuitive.

Gotta go to the car dealer - a recall to be fixed. I'll check back later. Enjoy the warm day!
Old 03-07-2009, 08:23 AM   #119
Major LCF Poster!

Linda, so we both got ex. Yay us!

Yum! I love me some roasted veggies too. Used to LOVE butternut squash when on WW-now I have cauliflower and broccoli, peppers, eggplant. So good. You wouldn't think broc and caul. would be good roasted but they are.

BTW, do you buy your ghee or make it? It's cooked longer than regular clarified butter, for a more toasty taste, isn't it?

i actually am pretty good about having just a "taste" of something. My younger daughter-Max's mother - and I are famous for having "tastes" of our husbands's meals. I am not a huge pizza eater, but this was from a famous place here in CT.

At the WW weigh in, which I still go to every month-well, haven't lately but have to get back to it-they use Tanita. There are several different kinds or numbers, but they are correct to .10 lb.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:18 AM   #120
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Keto stick is 1 past the none. Feel draggy tired, sleepy today - feel like a nap but I have wash and cleaning to do. Mike and I went to McDonald's for lunch and I had 2 quarter pounders w/cheese no catshup and a half of the grilled chicken bacon ranch salad w/o the chicken. Mike had the chicken and 1/2 of the salad. Then, stopped at grocery store for a few items and was walking fast thru the store looking for Mike! That's excercise, right? I bought the fennel and the checker could not find it on their computer (again) so I said it's there with a sign and made the manager look it up on the sheet. This area doesn't know their veggies! Every single time I go to the grocery store, the checker asks me what this is and what that is. I told the teenager he needs to eat more vegetables so he knows what they are for his career!

Tomorrow there is a Holistic Expo in my hometown. I like to read Angel books and there is 1 author (Jane Howard now Jane Feldman) that wrote the very
1st book I read that got me started. She was surprisingly at last fall's holistic expo in Allentown when I went. My mouth dropped to the floor when I saw her. After 5 yrs or more of not thinking about her book, the week before the expo I had an inkling to look up to see if she had wrote any more books and she did. Then I see her in person! It was her 1st time there and I got an Angel reading from her. A couple of weeks ago, she wrote me an e-mail and said she was coming to my area so I said I'll be there. I thought I'd ask my friend, like the last time, to come and that morning she wrote to me asking me to go - - - so it's planned! By the way, my friend is a Libra too! Too many scales of justice around me. I can't be good ALL the time! I dated about 6 Libra men too in the past.

My favorite male singer is Tom Petty and when I looked up his astrology chart, his chart is almost identical to my husband's. They even look similar in the tallness, thiness, oval long face, same color eyes, fine blonde hair. Tom is a few years older than Mike and looks quite a bit older than Mike. Their personalities are similar in the shyness but obviously Tom had to get over it. I heard that he drinks a special tea for his nerves before a concert. Mike played guitar too when he was younger. I love to see patterns in things!

What sign is your husband?

Oh, I sent you a private message. Did you see it?