Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2009, 09:07 AM   #1111
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BlueTopaz
Stats: 160/156/140
WOE: whatever works
Start Date: 10 years ago - Height 5' 7"
Welcome NuMoon! Tell us about the journey you're on!

Good Morning Girls!
I just received the Jillian Michael's "Master your Metabolsm" yesterday and am on Chapter 4. She sure knows how to pump you up! Reading about all the pesticides, antibiotics they feed animals and the faux food really got my blood up. Of course, we've heard of it because she really goes into it. She talks about insulin and also that men have hormones too and go thru a type of menopause. All this junk we eat affects our hormones and creates fat because our body is meant to eat whole foods. I guess I knew what the bad foods were but I had no idea that it is really messing up our hormones which is making us have a hard time losing weight and in fact, seem to tell our bodies to gain! She, herself, was a fitness trainer and eating low carb protein bars and sugar free soda, working out like a mule and still had trouble keeping thin. Now she doesn't have to workout so hard because she is eating right.

I was so hyped up that on my way to work I stopped at our biggest, freshest supermarket in the area and bought organic turkey, organic brocolli (which I'm now making for lunch at work today), organic bacon and raspberries.

Went to the gym last night for treadmill only 30 mins and going after work today for weight machines and treadmill - full workout.

Weight is staying the same.

Annette: Are you incorporating Jillian's methodology from her book? I know you said you cleaned your cupboards out. How are you doing on your scale?

Donna: Any damage done from your time away?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2009, 12:51 PM   #1112
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Scotty
Stats: 174/160.9/140- 5' 7.5" born in 1946
WOE: Enjoying JUDDD's freedom after years of low carb
Start Date: Every day!!! JUDD start 1/13/12
I haven't weighed myself, but I am sure I am up 5 pounds-I feel fat! Trying to stick to it today, but I am feeling like I just want to give up -I lose so slowly to begin with, and then any little thing puts the weight on..
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:10 AM   #1113
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Awww Donna, you're no fun.

I think you need to just eat good healthy food and that'll cheer you up and you wont' have to feel guilty for every bite you put in. Since the BFFM doesn't really give you much more than a guideline and doesn't really give you a calorie basis to work off of, I'm just eating heathy to get my metabolism to point ZERO. This yo-yo dieting for 2 yrs has slowed it down. Perhaps, that's your issue too. You body isn't giving up - you are. Feed it the nutrients that you have been depriving it like whole grains, fruit, starchy veggies and you can eat alot of that and the calories are down. What can you lose? Stay on it for a month and I'll bet you will be in a better frame of mind with more energy to do the exercising that you've been too tired to do.

Nobody wants to talk today....I guess I've leave.
BlueTopaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:40 AM   #1114
Major LCF Poster!

Linda, I'm afraid to add anything! I pretty much eat healthy, although lately I've been on very low carb to get THIS WEIGHT OFF! but on Sunday I had delicious ciabatta bread and butter with my Trader Joe's red pepper and roasted tomato soup-so good! And of course this was after a weekend of eating and drinking, albeit certainly NOT a carb fest.

Monday was decent-Cobb salad for lunch and ribs (I think) for supper, but wine and liqueur was an added attraction.

Yesterday was good:
cals 1438
fat 67%
carbs 1%
protein 32%

but I remain hungry. Ate before 6 last night-I try to wait till 6:30 so I am not starving in the morning. Actually mornings are better than evenings. It's 11:38 now-had my bkfst around 9 and I feel a bit light headed and mouth watery-can't wait for lunch! Guess I'll have some water...

"If you're afraid of butter, add a little cream" Julia Child
Old 07-08-2009, 09:31 AM   #1115
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Donna,
Do you ever think that you're hungry all the time because you're body is telling you it needs to balance carbs, fats, and protein?

Iantic gave me a suggestion. She said to carb up on workout days - lower fat too and on off days at the gym, eat lower carbs and higher fat.

Believe me, everyone that knows me, knows that I have a big appetite. They all say that food is my #1 priority. But now I have a "normal" appetite. Carbs are filling me and not making me hungry like they use to. In fact, I made hamburgers w/buns on July 4th and I could not even eat all the bun - too filling and I just ate the bottom half.

There's a satiety with eating "whole foods" - meaning fresh fruit, meat, whole grains (not refined flour), starch veggies (beans reduce the belly fat and are slow to digest meaning that it keeps you full longer) and sweet potatoes are loaded with Vitamin C and fiber. Look at your ****** in the nutritional section and see what Vitamins are UNDER the FDA recommendations. Also, fat packs alot of calories. When you eat lots of veggies and fruit and lean meat - the calories are low and you can eat more. That is my issue right now - I am not eating enough calories. It's a great feeling to tell yourself to eat MORE. It's crappy when you are hungry and you are forcing yourself to eat less.

Also, I'm reading Jillian Michaels Boost your Metabolism and she says to eat every 4 hrs - whether you are hungry or not and stop eating at 9:00 at night but don't eat carbs at 9:00. Me, being a late night eater, forced myself to eat some fruit at 9:00. I went to bed at midnight and wasn't hungry!

I haven't gained since I've switched - yet I feel more energetic and happy. My body is firming up and I'm gaining muscle - which usually equates weight gain - but it's not.

Last edited by BlueTopaz; 07-08-2009 at 09:34 AM..
Old 07-08-2009, 09:44 AM   #1116
Major LCF Poster!

Who knows what it is at this point!! Not much chance of "carb up on workout days" since there aren't any of those right now..

I've gotten so away from the veggies which I love, hoping for a quicker weight loss-evidently wrong...and I'm so afraid of MORE gain-my face already looks fuller-

I don't know if I would be disciplined enough to just "eat healthy" and not go overboard. I like to have an actual plan to go by, which is why I like Atkins and even WW, although I was hungry on that at around 1200 cals/day at the end.

I'll up my carbs again to 20 gross and see what happens.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:24 PM   #1117
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

12-PART MINI-COURSE
Part 8 of 12
Do low carb diets really work?

Even more important, can they keep the fat off permanently, or is this yet another temporary quick fix?

All the answers in part 8 of BIG FAT LIES.

Train hard and expect success,

Tom Venuto, author of
Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle
Fat Loss Diet | Burn The Fat Feed the Muscle

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fat Loss Lie #8: "Zero carb or very low carb diets are best for permanent fat loss"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Low Carb Diet Truth

No diet issue has ever created more confusion and controversy than the low carb vs. high carb debate. You are about to finally hear the low carb truth... simplified... But then, you will also hear about a few surprising "twists" to the low carb story!

Contrary to what certain "gurus" tell you, carbohydrates are NOT fattening. As you learned in part 5, what's fattening is eating more calories than your body can use at one time. If you eat too much of anything, it will get stored as fat. Period. That is the pure essence and scientific truth about fat loss:

IT'S NOT ABOUT THE CARBS!!!

IT'S ABOUT THE CALORIES!

But don't throw out your low carb diet just yet!

Reduced carb dieting does seem to have some beneficial effects on weight loss and fat loss, but it may not be for the reasons that most people think! In fact, it may not have anything to do with carbs at all ... it may be about protein and appetite regulation!

Low carbers usually don’t want to admit this - they usually want to insist on “metabolic advantage” - but the fact is, one of the biggest reasons that low carb diets can help improve fat loss is because it's very difficult to overeat when you restrict an entire group of energy dense foods like carbohydrates.

And there we have the truth again - if you eat less because of a low carb diet, you lose weight because you ate less, not because you ate less carbs. Got it? Less carbs = less calories!

Test it for yourself:

See how easy it is to overeat if you are told "eat as much of anything as you want." Then see how hard it is to eat a surplus of calories if you’re told, "eat as much as you want - but only lean protein, salad veggies and green veggies with a little bit of essential fat." You will lose fat like crazy on a diet like that, but it's not necessarily because carbs are low, it’s primarily because the CALORIES are low!

The problem is, most people cannot stay on a diet so restricted in choices. That's why over the long term, low carb diets aren't really much more effective than any other diet.

Appetite control - a legit benefit of low carb diets?

Very low carb diets often tell you not to count calories and they say you can eat as much as you like if you just stick to protein and fat. However, they're making a huge assumption that by restricting carbs and allowing fat intake, your appetite will regulate itself and you will eat less as a result.

That's often exactly what happens with low carb, high fat diets - you tend to eat less automatically - so appetite control appears to be a legitimate benefit of low carb diets. However, there is nothing special about "low carb diets" that allows you to eat unlimited calories. If you eat in a caloric surplus, you are going to gain weight, no matter what the macronutrient composition of the diet.

High thermic effect: A second weight loss advantage of a low carb (higher protein) diet?

Here's another potential advantage: Low carb diets tends to be higher in protein. Since protein has a much higher thermic effect, it can lead to slightly greater fat loss than a diet of the same calorie amount that is high in fat and carbs.

In a study published in the British Journal of Nutrition in 2005 (93(2): 281-289), researchers followed a group of 113 overweight subjects after 4 weeks of a very low calorie diet, through a 6 month period of weight maintenance. The subjects were divided into a control group and a protein group that was given an extra 30 grams of protein in place of an equal amount of carbs.

The researchers found that the group with the higher protein intake was less likely to regain the lost weight, and any weight gain in the protein group was lean tissue and not fat. The results were attributed to higher thermic effect and a decrease in appetite.

A third advantage to low carbs?

Another potental benefit of carb restriction is better glycemic (blood sugar) control. This may provide some body composition and health advantages for individuals who are carb intolerant or who suffer from "metabolic syndrome" (where the body doesn't process sugar very well and tends to overproduce insulin).

Of course, as with nearly everything in life, there are two sides to every coin...

Disadvantages of low carb diets

1) For most people, strict low carb diets are difficult to stick to.

If you remove most of your carbohydrates from your diet for a long period of time, you're setting yourself up for a relapse. You tend to crave what you cannot have, both physiologically and psychologically. The more you cut the carbs, the easier it is to rebound will be when you put carbs back in.

2) Very low carb diets are often unbalanced and missing many nutrients.

It's still up for debate whether low carb programs like the Atkins diet are unhealthy, but removal of entire good groups such as fruits and 100% whole natural grains is definitely not nutritionally balanced for fiber, phytochemical and micronutrient intake.

3) Very low carb diets may cause low energy levels.

Most people will feel physically tired and mentally irritable without carbs, so their training will usually suffer: Low carbs = low energy. Low energy = poor workouts. Poor workouts = poor results. This makes low carb diets a poor choice for highly active people. The reason I don't recommend "very low" carb diets to my clients is because I am a strong advocate of weight training and cardio training as part of a fitness lifestyle. When you are training hard, you must "feed the machine" and eat to support your activity.

4) The intial rapid weight loss on a very low carb diet can be deceiving.

Much of the initial weight loss on low carbs is water and even lean tissue. If you drop 5-7 lbs in your first week on a low carb diet it sounds impressive, but if one pound is fat, 2-3 pounds are water and 2-3 pounds are muscle, what did you accomplish? Your goal should be fat loss, not "weight" loss.

Taking a lesson from the leanest athletes on Earth

On an interesting side note, I've made an 18-year long study of how the world's best bodybuilders and fitness models get so incredibly lean. One thing I noticed was that almost every bodybuilder or fitness competitor uses some variation of the low carb diet to prepare for competitions. Why? because although there are disadvantages, they want those low carb advantages, even if it's a difficult diet to follow.

Most bodybuilders however, use an interesting variation on the traditional low carb diet. It's called "carb cycling," where you increase carbs at regular intervals rather than staying on low carbs all of the time. Carb cycling makes low carb diets safer, more effective and easier to follow.

The bottom line?

Yes, there is something to the low carb diet that helps accelerate fat loss. But in the end, it all comes back to calories and to whether or not you can stick with your program. Ability to comply with a program may be the biggest factor of all in long term success, not the level of carb intake. Low carb diets work primarily because they make you eat less. Eat too much and you gain weight, regardless of whether it's protein, carbs or fat.

My advice is not to jump into a low carb diet without reason, but to assess whether you are a good candidate for this type of approach. Then, if you decide to try the low carb approach, it's best used temporarily to break a plateau or reach a peak and it appears that a small reduction in carbs with a slight increase in protein is enough to get most of the benefits of low carb diets.

Cutting out carbs completely (or even dropping all the way to 20-30 grams a day as some programs advise in the beginning), is not necessary, it's hard to stick to and is probably not healthy in the long term. It's usually not wise to go to extremes in anything and that's as true for nutrition as anything else in life: moderation is the key..

In the next lesson, we will put an end to another long-standing fat loss debate: Cutting calories (diet) versus burning calories (exercise).

Tom Venuto, author of
Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle

PS. Many people ask me, "Tom, is your Burn The Fat program low carb, high carb, somewhere in the middle... what kind of program is it?

If anything, the Burn The Fat "baseline" is in the middle - and could best be described as "Balanced Nutrition", not an extremely high carb or extremely low carb program. From that baseline, we adjust carb intake as necessary.

There is no single program that works best for everyone. You have to learn to adjust your intake carbs, calories and other nutrients in order to individualize your program based on goals, activity and your level of "carb tolerance." I often recommend reducing carbs for aggresive fat loss goals and for carb sensitive individuals.

The Burn The Fat program explains how to determine your level of carb tolerance, which will reveal whether you are the type of person who will do better with a reduction in carbohydrate. It also explains the most effective way to set up a carb cycling diet, which is the best way, in my opinion, to do a low carb diet without the low carb side effects.

omething of "maybe" interest to you...a Tom Venuto newsletter.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:21 PM   #1118
Major LCF Poster!

Hmmm, you seem to be changing how you feel about low carb.

What he writes is different from what I've read, ie calories and "balanced nutrients" , low carb should be temporary, etc...answer being-don't believe anything on faith but make up your own mind and do what works for you. Since right now this isn't working for me (BUT and that's a big BUT-no pun intended-well, maybe a little- )it may have to do with the fact that I have yet to do a strict two week induction-maybe I've done one....

An important point-can I stick to the program-in general, yes, I can-I am happy eating low carb. I don't crave sweets or pasta or rice. I "miss" bread and potatoes, and corn, but know I can have them sometimes. I don't think of these foods as poison, like so many folks on this board seem to.

I know I wasn't losing any more on WW, which is certainly considered a "healthy, balanced diet"-or woe, and I was hungry.

I'm no fool-I know the answer probably lies, for the most part, in exercise.

You ordered his ebook, didn't you? I signed up for the 12 part thing, but is that the newsletter? I didn't see a place for that.

He sounds sincere, but he has something to sell, like everyone else.

It just seems that everyone thinks their way is the only way, and I am just trying to lose 20 pounds without too much "sturm und drang"
Old 07-08-2009, 07:52 PM   #1119
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AMonkey
Stats: 158/129/125
WOE: Organic Whole Foods
Start Date: October 2008
I'm still bouncing between 128 and 129. However, I'm only working out once a day - either the 30 minute shred or elliptical. If I want to see more progress, I think I need to do both. But I'm not sure if I should being the shred every day. I need to see if I should pair a different DVD with the Shred for rotation. My inches are better, and I can grab less fat - so something is going on.

And oh my gosh! I had my first taste of organic strawberries this week. What a taste explosion! I had no idea. I remember eating meat and cheese from the dairy when I was a kid, and how much different it tasted then. I'm thinking the more of this organic eating I do - the less I'll want sugar.

And it's not like I'm eating a bunch of carbs - they all come from vegetables, salad, small fruit servings and a whole grain or sprouted grain serving.

Dr. Adkins was right in that we should eat natural fats and not eat refined carbs. I think it's very important for diabetics or insulin resistant to keep a sharp eye on the carbs. The man who sits next to me was recently diagnosed with diabetes, and I can tell by what i see him eating what his sugar levels will be like. One handful of chips sent his sugar soaring!

Our bodies are very complex, and once the hormones and endocrine system go haywire, I don't know how long it takes to fix.

And you're right, everyone has something to sell - so unfortunately, I'm a little suspect of what I read.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:53 AM   #1120
Major LCF Poster!

Linda, you always say you have a hard time keeping your cals up-I have a hard time keeping them down!! I may be a little high, but I had extra butter and cream last night for creamed spinach-yum-and I have fitdayed (?) my chicken in ounces instead of "med chicken thigh" which gave me more cals. I estimated the ounces at work, so that may be a bit high, too.

Anyway, the upshot is I was hungry. Oddly, I am not really hungry this morning. I have gotten into the habit of having bkfst at work with a nice cup of decaf. Maybe I should skip it and have it in the pm when I am hungry....but of course you're not supposed to skip bkfst. So many rules, I don't know what to do anymore.

Still haven't weighed, but my face is puffy looking and I feel puffy, if you know what I mean...
cals 1647
fat 67%
carbs 3%-dairy and spiinach
protein 29%
Old 07-09-2009, 05:56 AM   #1121
Major LCF Poster!

Annette-I live between several orchards/berry fields, and this time of year we go crazy for strawberries, then the other berries, then the peaches-I don't think they are organic, but they are right from the farm, ripe, and taste of the essence of strawberry/blueberry/raspberry....YUM
Old 07-09-2009, 06:05 AM   #1122
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm really just trying to eat "healthy" real food at this point - eliminating food groups and you are eliminating the good properties i.e, antioxidants, vitamins, fiber. I"m about tweaking my woe according to my body and changing if I don't see results.

Talked to my boss - he's having alot of lower back pain since he's been on Atkins and he noticed when he had an event which he had to have carbs or not eat, his back pain went away for that day. Lower back pain could point to kidneys. Too much acid (meat and fat)? Who knows? Talked to him a little about the Jillian Michaels book and trying to buy organic. I also said that he has to lift those hand weights he recently bought at Walmart and walk around more for the tradeoff of carbs. He has 2 doctor's appointments coming up and wants some answers on his lower back pain. So, we'll see what they have to say.

Also, this thing with the plastic containers that I use alot of and heat up my food in the microwave is a concern per Jillian. I've heard this before but I was skeptical thinking it's alarmists that are paranoid about everything. However, I am hearing more and more of it so maybe there is validity in it. If our endocrine system is getting messed up with all the contaminants, then no matter what you eat or don't eat, it's still stressing out your body.

The farmers fields are lacking the nutrients from the soil for the past decade plus all the pesticides they use are toxins. That's why Jillian advocates "organtic" - like our parents and their parents generation ate. The animals are being fed antibiotics and corn fed - it's getting into our food chain. No wonder we are resistant to antibiotics these days. I can attest to that myself.

Many experts are accounting to the change in our kids body changes (girls go into puberty early, have bigger tummys and busts) to the antibiotic filled meats, especially chicken. In our generation, most girls were pear shaped. Now, more are apple shaped. This is a concern because apple shaped persons have a higher rate of diabetes and heart disease than pear shaped. Jillian also comments that pear shaped women with fat around their thighs and hips actually protect insulin inbalances. But if your way of eating isn't healthy, the pear shapes eventually get the belly in middle age if they don't eat healthy, eat refined carbs, large portions, pesticide, chemical bound food and they end up at risk as much as their apple shaped peers.

Bottom line is our bodies were designed to operate on "real food" and to move.

It gets me upset to think that our government is allowing these food companies to get away with adding all these "can't pronounce" chemicals in our processed food. Our bodies don't know what to do with it.

A good poiint that Jillian makes in regards to "artificial sugar" is that once you introduce artificial sugar and your body says "oh, no calories - don't need to produce insulin" - the next time you do eat real sugar, the hormones thinks the same - oh, no calories - don't produce insulin to get rid of the blood sugar and then it gets stored into fat cells. That's why studies are saying that artificial sugar is making people fatter. She seems to be ok with Stevia or Xylitol in small amounts according to the book I just read.

My breakfast this morning: 2 scambled eggs w/1T Salsa, 2 turkey sausage links and 1 piece of whole grain toast w/Smart Balance light.

I have another energy healing to do this morning so I have no idea what to have for lunch but probably opt for a spinach salad with shrimp.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:41 AM   #1123
Senior LCF Member

Darn!

How Much to Exercise Each Day
You may have heard the U.S. Surgeon General's recommendation of 30 minutes of physical activity a day. This is intended for people who want to maintain the most basic level of fitness — but not for people who want to lose weight. In a week, 30 minutes a day works out to an expenditure of about 1,000 calories, which is fine if you are looking to maintain your current weight. But if you want to lose, you're going to have to be prepared for a bit more work.

I much prefer the World Health Organization's recommendation of 60 minutes at a time as a starting point for my clients — an hour is ideal to get the most out of your workout and see significant results. Your 60-minute workout sessions should always include a 5-minute warm-up, followed by 50 minutes of your primary cardio or strength-training exercises, followed by at least 5 minutes of cooling down and stretching.
Of course, putting in more time will get you more results — but there's a limit. Excessive intense physical activity releases stress hormones, such as cortisol, into the body. This can actually inhibit weight loss, causing your body to react by storing fat and retaining water out of self-protection. So, to reach your goal, I recommend limiting intense exercise to no more than two hours a session.

Jillian Michaels
AMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 07:04 AM   #1124
Major LCF Poster!

I'm so confused!!

When I went back to work, I was lucky to do 20 min a day. Before that, I was averaging around 45. Any more than that, no thanks!

I think I'll have a stick of butter, a fat free bagel, a bison burger, and a bottle of organic wine, then walk backwards for an hour...

Last edited by Scotty; 07-09-2009 at 07:40 AM..
Old 07-09-2009, 11:35 AM   #1125
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMonkey View Post
Darn!

How Much to Exercise Each Day
You may have heard the U.S. Surgeon General's recommendation of 30 minutes of physical activity a day. This is intended for people who want to maintain the most basic level of fitness — but not for people who want to lose weight. In a week, 30 minutes a day works out to an expenditure of about 1,000 calories, which is fine if you are looking to maintain your current weight. But if you want to lose, you're going to have to be prepared for a bit more work.

I much prefer the World Health Organization's recommendation of 60 minutes at a time as a starting point for my clients — an hour is ideal to get the most out of your workout and see significant results. Your 60-minute workout sessions should always include a 5-minute warm-up, followed by 50 minutes of your primary cardio or strength-training exercises, followed by at least 5 minutes of cooling down and stretching.
Of course, putting in more time will get you more results — but there's a limit. Excessive intense physical activity releases stress hormones, such as cortisol, into the body. This can actually inhibit weight loss, causing your body to react by storing fat and retaining water out of self-protection. So, to reach your goal, I recommend limiting intense exercise to no more than two hours a session.

Jillian Michaels
How many times a week doing 60 min workouts? I do about 3x a week of 60 mins.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:07 PM   #1126
Senior LCF Member

Love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atkinsgoddess View Post
I'm so confused!!

When I went back to work, I was lucky to do 20 min a day. Before that, I was averaging around 45. Any more than that, no thanks!

I think I'll have a stick of butter, a fat free bagel, a bison burger, and a bottle of organic wine, then walk backwards for an hour...
Old 07-09-2009, 06:09 PM   #1127
Senior LCF Member

Five days to lose weight. You can split it up morning and afternoon - which is what I am going to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitedov1208 View Post
How many times a week doing 60 min workouts? I do about 3x a week of 60 mins.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:33 PM   #1128
Major LCF Poster!

I give up. I can't even get my calories below 1600 calories most days without being hungry, much less exercise 5 days a week for an hour.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:02 PM   #1129
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atkinsgoddess View Post
I give up. I can't even get my calories below 1600 calories most days without being hungry, much less exercise 5 days a week for an hour.
Annette and Donna: 5 days a week of 1 hr is little too ambitious for me at least for the weight machines. Even the trainer at the gym said not to do weights more than 3x a week. You need time for your muscles to rebuild or else you're going to have to deal with injuries. The trainer also said that cardio can be done anytime - everyday.

Tom (BFFM) said 3x a week on the weight machines is plenty too and only body builders do more than that. So, I tend to think she is too hard core on the exercise (no surprise) Heck, she herself says in her book that since she's on the organic woe that she doesn't work out as much as she used to. Why is she making the rest of us hump so much?

Donna, seriously, get your thyroid checked and a full blown physical. Eliminate any physical obstacles that may be preventing you from losing weight. If you have had great health all your life - then, there is nothing you should be worried about by getting blood work done. If you have a slow thryroid, it would tell you that any diet will prevent weight loss unless you get pills for it. Wouldn't you rather just "know" then to be frustrated day in and day out?

Exercise for "health" if not for weight loss. "Do it even if you hate it" per Jillian. I think of those words every time I go to the gym and it motivates me to push. After working out, I feel great. Getting there is the hardest part.

Above all....DO NOT GIVE UP!
Old 07-10-2009, 07:37 AM   #1130
Senior LCF Member

The weights would be on different parts of the body. You are correct, you don't work the same muscles on consecutive days. If you're doing a Total Body then I would assume you'd just do cardio on the non workout days.

I too ecourage you to get your thyroid checked. You can kill yourself dieting and exercising, but if that thyroid is off track you won't lose any weight

I've had the flu the last two days. I'm going to the doctor today. This is a rough way to lose a pound.

Another good thing Dr. Adkins advocates is the "ladder" where we see which foods may affect our weight loss. I noticed a difference when I started reintroducing milk into my diet.
Old 07-11-2009, 05:03 PM   #1131
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Donna and Annette,

Sorry to hear about your flu, Annette. Take care of you!

I sent you both a private e-mail on this site.

Have a nice weekend.
Old 07-11-2009, 05:37 PM   #1132
Senior LCF Member

Hi there, the Tom V info was right on the money. I'm doing the Shred, but really need to think about doing some real weights.

That was one of the great things about Adkins - weight loss with no exercise. Of course I've got the fat on skinny thing going on that needs to be taken care of. I've never seen my body look like this (cottage cheeze when you squeeze). Ugh! It's not enough just to squeeze into your skinny jeans - it's about the quality of you skin. Of course, as a friend of mine from work pointed out - I don't know what it's like to be way over 200 pounds. And that's true.

My skin tone is getting better and better. And actually, aside from the shakes, most of what I ate on Adkins was wholesome. I'm still working on my carb + protein + fat ratios. Jillian doesn't have carbs on the dinner menu - aside from leafy greens, which are basically a "free" food.

Annette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitedov1208 View Post
Hi Donna and Annette,

Sorry to hear about your flu, Annette. Take care of you!

I sent you both a private e-mail on this site.

Have a nice weekend.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:43 AM   #1133
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Annette,
Yeah, you're right on. Exercise is the only way to get rid of the viseral fat, especially the thighs. From the gym, the cellulite is going away from above my knee (didn't have any on my calves) and it's working it's way up to my upper thighs. The top inner and outer thighs are what's next.

I went grocery shopping and spent close to $300! Bought alot organic - - from organic skim milk to veggies and fruits (about 80% the store had in organic) and a pound of organic lean hamburger that I'll make stuffed peppers with organic bell pepper later this week. I may prepare it with a little brown rice but maybe not.

Jillian wants us to eat the carbs in the morning and lunch but supper time - lighten up and eat low carb and after supper - eat no carb. 9:00 p.m. the kitchen is closed. I have been adhering to that rule - so I make sure by 8:30 - 9:45, I have something - like cheese or meat. My habit over the past couple of years have been to eat late - knowing it was a no-no. But at least I am somewhat hungry (or at least not nauseated) at breakfast now which is a must.

I bought some Ezekiel cinnamon raisen whole grain cereal yesterday and I had 1/2 cup of it w/organic skim milk and 1/4 cup of egg beaters and 4 pieces of watermelon. (watermelon always passes thru).

I also bought Quaker Instant Oatmeal for Weight Control because I am not crazy about my homemade oatmeal plus in her Making the Cut book, she favors it as part of the plan. It has less sugar and less calories than the regular instant oatmeal out there. I used to be able to buy barley by Quaker and I liked that over oatmeal but I cannot find it anymore.

Going to the gym today for a full body workout. Eliptical 3-5 min for warm up and 120 heatbeat rate, rowing machine, then 1/2- 45 min of upper and lower, body weights, 20 mins of fast walking on treadmill, 10 min of stairclimber.

I bought a new Walkman at Best Buys to use with the gym's TV while I do treadmill. That's a help because otherwise, I get bored.
Old 07-12-2009, 06:33 PM   #1134
Senior LCF Member

Linda,
You rock. I have to step it up to keep up with you! I had a small portion of quinoa with my steak and broccoli and a smidge of butter for dinner because I'm still recovering from my illness.

I wore shorts when we went to the store. My husband noted that my legs are getting smaller. Yeah!

Do either of you use a Brita water filter? I bought a gallon jug from a health food store and will be getting free ionic water for a bit. But I was thinking of getting Brita for home. We recycle, but I hate the amount of bottles we go through. I love my stainless steel mug I got from Starbucks. It really does keep things cold or hot longer. Of course, Starbucks was pricey. I used a friend's discount card, but I really should have gone to REI or somewhere else to get it at a lower cost. I'm getting the grandkids some non-BPA Star Wars thermoses for their lunchboxes.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:06 AM   #1135
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Monday Morn - 7/13/09

Good Morning Girls!

Donna: You are too quiet. Are you ok?

Annette: In my house, we buy those plastic spring waters in jugs. After reading Jillian's book, I don't feel good about the plastic containers. My boss just acquired a ionic water converting system and he fills up huge glass 5 gallon containers (like the offices use) and we drink that during the day. He had a Britta system on his home faucet but the filters have to be changed alot. He was a well and it has alot of lead in it. The Brittas with the water picture is plastic - is that a safe plastic to use according to Jillian? I also threw out some of my plastic containers that have melt marks on them and replaced them with Pyrex glass and Anchor Hocking glass containers. Anchor has a new line with glass lids on them. Pyrex still has the plastic tops. I'll use wax paper to cover when I nuke until I can find unbleached paper towels.

High five for your husband's compliment on your legs! DH said the other week "look at those skinny legs". My shorts were covering the upper thigh but at least he noticed the rest of my leg is getting firmer. Compliments are far and few between, so I'll take it as encouragement.
It's nice to know while you're busting your butt that someone notices a change.

I also bought quinoa on Saturday! I have so many veggies in the fridge that I don't have an inch to spare. Better use them up fast because organic spoils faster.

I went to the gym yesterday afternoon and did the routine I wrote about plus added the stepper machine. I like the stairmaster one better. I tried the rowing machine but that seemed too easy so I used it as a warm up before the weight machines. I had to up the weights on the leg machines for I'm not feeling the burn. The sitting leg extension that you have to lift UP is a killer for me. The elipical is still a challenge to get to 5 mins on. I guess those muscle groups need it the most. I also don't like the posture on the elipticals - a strain on my lower back. A goal to reach.

I am awed by the people that jog for 30-40 mins on the treadmill. They are sweating bullets and in the "zone". I would like to get to that point - scared that I'll run out of breath and pass out at this point I did find another thing that keeps me on the treadmill longer - putting a cold/wet paper towel around the back of my neck and turning the fan on high. Even though my forehead and temples were dripping, I didn't mind it because my neck was cool. The upper body weight machines get me sweating too but at least I take a 30 sec break between sets and drink water.

After the gym, I make my DH peanut butter cookies and pecan shortbread pan cookies. I just had 1 1" cookie and crumbs of the shortbread. Earlier yesterday before the gym I made 2 loafs of bread from my bread machine. This was mainly for my daughter (I forgot to buy bread at the store). I made Meditterean Herb and Classic White. The house smelled sublime. I got to watch not to over eat the bread.

I have tons of Carbalose flour (wheat protein minus the starchy carbs) , Protein Isolate 1000 + 20000, Coconut and Almond flour that I need to use up - perhaps I can make bread from that. The protein in the carbalose and protein isolate is concentrated so it may not be a bad thing. I will also make some baked goods for myself but I am leary on the "sugar" part of it - regular or artificial - since Jillian doesn't endorse either. I guess you have to pick your vices and go moderate. I don't want to waste money spent either.

My eats yesterday:
B: Egg beater and Ezekial Granola cereal w/organic skim milk
L: Pre-workout - Burger King double cheeseburger w/bottom half of bun
S: Homemade roast beef on my freshly made bread and a couple pieces of watermelon. (1) peanut butter cookie. :blush:
Snack before 9:00: pecans

I gotta measure myself since it's been a while. I forgot to weigh myself when I woke up - ehhh, tomorrow. Later, gators!
Old 07-13-2009, 06:11 AM   #1136
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Well, I weighed and measured. Same weight: 141 and same measurements.

The good news is that according to my scale, my body fat went from 34% to 30% and my water % went up from 47% to 50%. At least I'm not dehydrated and as much watermelon I've been eating, I shouldn't be anyway I still need to be more consistant with my water drinking.
According to Tom V's E- book, losing more than a pound a week is not good news because you are really losing water and muscle. He would rather that you didn't lose weight (if you're not overweight according to the charts) but to focus on the fat loss and measurements. He says the scale is a composite, rather than a true determinator of healthy body composition. I guess I shouldn't be too sad if my fat % is going down even though the scale isn't moving. Plus the muscle is replacing some of the fat and weighs more.

Irregardless, if I ate what I've been eating lately, without exercise, I would be up 5 lbs.

Today since it's a non-workout day at the gym, I'm going to limit my carbs to minimal and focus on meat and veggies. On workout days, I'll add more carbs so I don't lose muscle mass. Here is what he has to say...

12-PART MINI-COURSE
Part 10 of 12
How quickly should you shed your excess pounds? Let me guess ... You want to get rid of them as fast as possible! (like, yesterday, right?)

Yes, we all wish we could melt off the fat "overnight," but supposing you really could take the weight off "lightning fast." Is rapid weight loss is really healthy and safe? And is it permanent?

How much fat loss is realistic? How much is physiologically possible?

I've got bad news for you. You have been lied to over and over about "quick fat loss" and it really irks me that weight loss companies keep getting away with it at your expense!

It's time to bust this myth and uncover the truth.

Tom Venuto, NSCA-CPT, CSCS
Fat Loss Coach
www.BurnTheFat.com/home

Fat Loss Lie #10: "Fat loss can be quick and permanent"

The "Quick Fat Loss" Lie Exposed

"Lose 30 pounds In 30 Days!"

"Lose 9 Pounds Every 11 Days!"

Lose 10 Pounds This Weekend!

You see ad claims like these all the time, and they sure are enticing, aren't they? They play on our emotions and our desires for instant gratification.

Patience is the one thing you never seem to have when you’ve got a body fat problem. You want the fat gone and you want it gone now! And why not? It seems so do-able. Everywhere you look, you hear promises of quick weight loss and you even see people losing weight quickly.

We have reality TV shows that actually encourage people to attempt “extreme” body makeovers or see who can lose weight the fastest, and the winners (or shall we say, the "losers", as if that's a flattering title to earn), are rewarded generously with fortune, fame and congratulations.

Let’s face it. Everyone wants to get the fat off as quickly as possible - and having that desire is not wrong – it’s simply human nature. However...

Serious Problems Can Occur If You Try To
Force It And Lose Weight Too Quickly

The faster you lose weight, the more muscle you will lose right along with the fat, and that can really mess up your metabolism.

An even bigger problem with fast weight loss is that it just won’t last. The faster you lose, the more likely you are to gain it back. It's the the "yo-yo diet effect" - weight does down, but always comes back up. Think about it: We don’t have a weight loss problem today, we have a “keeping weight off” problem

Weight loss will be the healthiest, safest and most likely to be permanent if you set your goal for about two pounds per week (and even if you lose only a single pound each week, that is healthy progress). This is the recommendation of almost every legitimate and respected dietician, nutritionist, exercise physiologist and personal trainer on the planet, as well as exercise organizations such as the American College of Sports Medicine and the American Dietetic Association.

Are there any exceptions? Yes. It may be ok to lose more than two pounds per week if you have a lot of weight to lose, because the rate of weight loss tends to be relative to your total starting body weight. Generally the rule is that it’s safe to lose up to 1% of your total body weight per week, so if you weigh 300 lbs to start, then 3 lbs a week is a reasonable goal.

But there IS a catch.

What Really Matters Is Not How Much WEIGHT
You Lose, But How Much FAT You Lose

Where did your weight loss come from? Did you lose body fat or lean body mass? "Weight" is not the same as "fat." Weight includes muscle, bone, internal organs as well as lots and lots of water.

Let’s look at an example with some numbers so you can really grasp this concept of weight versus fat and then you can see, illustrated with specific examples, what will happen when you lose weight too quickly.

As an example, let’s take a 260 pound man who has a lot of body fat to lose - let’s call it 32%. With 32% fat, a 260 pounder has 83.2 pounds of body fat and 176.8 pounds of lean mass. Using this example, let’s look at a few possible scenarios with losses ranging from two to four pounds per week.

Weight Loss Scenario 1:

Suppose our 260 pound subject loses four full pounds instead of the recommended two pounds per week. Is this bad? Well, let’s see:

If he loses a half a percent of body fat, here are his body composition results:

256 lbs
31.5% body fat
80.6 lbs fat
175.4 lbs lean body mass

Out of the four pounds lost, 2.8 pounds were fat and 1.2 were lean mass. Not a disaster, but not good either. Thirty percent of the weight lost was lean tissue.

Weight Loss Scenario 2:

If he loses a half a percent of body fat and only three pounds, here are his results:

257 lbs
31.5% body fat
80.9 lbs fat
176.1 lbs lean body mass

These results are better. Although he lost less body weight than scenario one, in this instance, 2.3 pounds of fat and only 0.7 lbs of lean mass were lost.

Weight Loss Scenario 3:

What if he only lost two pounds? Here are the results:

258 lbs
31.5% body fat
81.2 lbs fat
176.8 lbs lean body mass

These results are perfect. Even though our subject has only lost two pounds, which seems slow, 100% of the two pound weight loss came from fat and he kept ALL the muscle!

Weight Loss Scenario 4:

Now let’s suppose he loses three pounds but he loses more body fat: .8%

257 lbs
31.2% body fat
80.2 lbs fat
176.8 lbs lean body mass

These are the best results of all. When the weekly fat loss is .8% (better than average), 100% of the three pounds lost is fat. So as you can see, yes, it’s safe to lose more than two pounds per week… but only if the weight is fat. If you lose three or four pounds per week, and you know it’s all fat, not lean tissue, then more power to you! If you lose four pounds and two of those pounds are muscle, you just shot yourself in the foot!

If as little as 20%-30% of your weight loss comes from muscle, when compounded over a few months, you’re talking about a massive muscle tissue loss which can dramatically slow down your metabolism, weaken you and turn you into nothing more than a “skinny fat person” (that's a person with low body weight because they lost so much muscle, but still holding stubborn fat because they shut down their metabolism).

Don't Be Fooled By Water Weight Losses

One thing you should also know is that it’s very common to lose 3 - 5 pounds in the first week on nearly any diet and exercise program and often even more on low carb diets. Just remember, its NOT all fat - WATER LOSS IS NOT FAT LOSS!
The only way to know if you've actually lost FAT is with body composition testing. For home body fat self-testing, I recommend the Accu-Measure skinfold caliper as first choice. Even better, get a multi site skinfold caliper test from an experienced tester at a health club, or even an underwater (hydrostatic) or air (bod pod) displacement test.

From literally hundreds of client case studies, I can confirm that it’s rare to lose more than 1.5 - 2.0 lbs of weight per week without losing some muscle along with it. If you exceed 2.0 to 3.0 pounds per week, the probability of losing muscle is extremely high. If you lose muscle, you are damaging your metabolism and this will lead to a plateau and ultimately to relapse.

The Biggest Weight Loss Mistake That Is
FATAL To Your Long Term Success

Lack of patience is one of the biggest mistakes people make when it comes to losing body fat. If you want to lose FAT, not muscle, and if you want to keep the fat off for good, then you have to take off the pounds slowly. (of course, if you want to crash diet the weight off fast, lose muscle with the fat and gain all the fat back later, be my guest)

This is one of the toughest lessons that overweight men and women have to learn - and they can be very hard learners. They fight kicking and screaming, insisting that they CAN and they MUST lose it faster.

Then you have these TV shows that encourage the masses that rapid, crash weight loss is okay. To the producers of these shows, I say SHAME ON YOU! To the personal trainers, registered dieticians and medical doctors who are associated with these programs, I say DOUBLE SHAME ON YOU, because you of all people should know better. These shows are not "motivating" or "inspiring" - they are DAMAGING! They are a DISGRACE!

The rapid weight loss being promoted by the media for the sake of ratings and by the weight loss companies for the sake of profits makes it even harder for legitimate fitness and nutrition professionals because our clients say, “But look at so and so on TV - he lost 26 pounds in a week!”

Sure, but 26 pounds of WHAT - and do you have any idea what the long term consequences are?

Short term thinking… foolish.

Do it the right way. The healthy way. Take off pounds slowly, steadily and sensibly with an intelligent nutrition and exercise program like Burn The Fat, measure your body fat, not just your body weight, and make this a new lifestyle, not a race, and you will never have to take the pounds off again, because they will be gone forever the first time.

We're getting close to the end of this series and next time, in part 11 of 12, you'll find out about the scandal that is taking place in the medical and pharmaceutical industries ("The big pharma lie")... Plus, you'll also learn the truth about steroids and other performance-enhancing and fat-burning drugs. Until then...

Tom Venuto, author of
Burn the Fat, Feed The Muscle

Last edited by BlueTopaz; 07-13-2009 at 06:12 AM..
Old 07-13-2009, 06:51 AM   #1137
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Boy, aren't we quiet here this morning? I feel like I'm talking to myself.

I forgot I had vegetable glycerine (used as a natural sweetner). I wonder if that's ok to use of if it's on the no-go Jillian list.

Breakfast this morning:

1/2 cup egg beater omelet fried in a little evoo and smart balance lite w/monterey jack cheese and 2 slices of fried tomato w/basil.

Calories per calorie count: 120
Old 07-13-2009, 07:53 AM   #1138
Major LCF Poster!

For several reasons, I went WAY off this weekend. So between the long weekend last week, and this week, I am back up to 160. That's four pounds less than I was when I began in Jan, and 5 pounds more than I was 6/16.

The bread was WONDERFUL, as was the wine...

Today, I had the tuna muffin for breakfast for a change. Probably a mistake since I am very hungry, but, really, not much more than when I have my frittata, just earlier....
Old 07-13-2009, 12:15 PM   #1139
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Whether we have good days or not, Annette and I still want to hear from you. It's not like you have to confess to the priest. We ALL slip off plans but we are all in this together to support each other so we don't give up. There's no shame or guilt for nothing. The boards are NOT for just giving good report cards. It's about kinship and encouragement, right?

I was bad at lunch today. :blush: Had breaded veal cutlet and potato filling w/gravy and a salad bar. The veal cutlet was a frozen grocery store version and the potato filling (a PA Dutch favorite) had no flavor! I ate a couple of bites and shoved it aside, ate the tasteless veal cutlet and scraped off the gravy but mostly I ate lots of veggies from the salad bar and 1 small piece of their homemade bread. Also, their drink of the day was a Key Lime martini. I couldn't resist since I love key lime and never had it in a Martini. The barmaid came back to ask me how it was and I said "it works!". It had Bailey's Irish Cream, Vodka and Lime juice. That was my dessert. I had to take my boss to the doc today and he gave him a good report. Since Atkins, he's lost 30 lbs and his cholesteral is BELOW normal levels and the doc thinks it's great!

Now, me, a month being on Atkins, my cholesteral went from 138 to 213 total. I even take a cholesteral pill. I shudder to think what it would have been not taking the statin pill.

I need to re-take my blood test in a couple of weeks so we'll see how well I do. There were other things on there that were questionable which I've already mentioned. It goes to show that there is no one diet that works for everyone. It's a matter of finding the right one for you.

I tend to think I could pretty much eat anything IF I exercise dilligently but what it takes to get rid of flabby thighs, I don't know yet. I can't say I like to exercise but I feel better when I do and I keep hearing what Jillian says, "DO IT EVEN IF YOU HATE IT". So, that kind of motivates me because I used to think that most people liked to exercise but it wasn't my bag and why should I have pain in "no pain, no gain"? Now I know that it gives me energy and makes doing mundane tasts not so hard plus I have a some leverage and less guilt in what I do decide to eat.

Anyway, keep writing Donna. Annette and I are not Saints and we are all trying to do the best we can.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:10 PM   #1140
Major LCF Poster!

I wasn't away because I was off, I've certainly reported that before; I am just feeling so down about not being able to lose that I just didn't feel like it. I feel deprived and like I will never get to where I want to be. I am being OP today, but I know I will have wine tonight with dinner....I know what I need to do-I just don't knoe if I want to...