Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2009, 10:31 AM   #1081
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BlueTopaz
Stats: 160/156/140
WOE: whatever works
Start Date: 10 years ago - Height 5' 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by atkinsgoddess View Post
Or this? I started 1/2 and my "new" goal is 7/30-I've changed it twice.

Your Calorie Restriction Equation
Weight Loss per Day / Calories per Pound = Calorie Restriction per Day
0.11 3500 402

Your Calorie Restriction Estimate

Time Span: 29 week(s) 6 day(s)
Pounds to Lose: 24
Pounds per Week: 0.8
Pounds per Day: 0.11
Cal. Restriction per Day: 402
This table estimates your daily calorie restriction based on your weight goal. This is an estimate of how many calories you need to cut back each day to acheive your weight goal.

Based on the guideline that a restiction of 3,500 calories results in one pound of weight loss, to acheive your goal of losing 24 pounds in 29 week(s) and 6 day(s) you should restrict your calorie intake by 402 calories per day.
I am assuming that you would restrict 402 calories per day from your average that you normally eat. So...if it's 1900 estimate - 402 = 1500 calories per day would be your goal.
BlueTopaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2009, 10:57 AM   #1082
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Scotty
Stats: 174/160.9/140- 5' 7.5" born in 1946
WOE: Enjoying JUDDD's freedom after years of low carb
Start Date: Every day!!! JUDD start 1/13/12
That's pretty much what I do when I am doing it-actually I have lowered it to around 1400 per your advice from a while ago. It's the off days that screw things up. I'll go a week perfectly and then have ONE NIGHT and will be way off...For example, so far my cals today will be around 1200-not sure where I can add more, since I had .7 chix breast with skin and am planning on 7oz of country ribs-the ounces don't say whether boneless or not.

My 4 week average is 1677 cals but 33.4 carbs. Wow, I KNOW that that amount is from the FEW days that I go off. Guess I can't go off....

"If you're afraid of butter, add a little cream" Julia Child

Last edited by Scotty; 06-30-2009 at 11:00 AM..
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:19 AM   #1083
Major LCF Poster!

Now that I think of it, that's probably the calorie stats for starting 1/2/09 and goal for 7/30/09, losing 24 pounds. Not gonna happen...but SHOULD HAVE. I might put in a new start date and goal.

Yeah, if today is my start weight and 9/30 is my goal date to be 140-19.9lbs, which doesn't seem out of line, I have to restrict cals 2000-757=1243-that ain't gonna happen....too low, right? Although that's about what I was doing on WW.

Annette-for the fourth we are going to my cousins lake house in VT. We always have a wonderful time, BUT he and I always join forces to turn out gourmet meals for everyone, and may I add that they are seldom low carb or non-alcoholic...all I can do is try...

Last edited by Scotty; 06-30-2009 at 12:09 PM..
Old 06-30-2009, 11:58 PM   #1084
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AMonkey
Stats: 158/129/125
WOE: Organic Whole Foods
Start Date: October 2008
I'm doing 1200 ish calories because I sit at work all day and have only managed to do both the 30 Day Shred workout AND the gym on the same day once. I've been faithful to the DVD, and hit and miss on the gym.

I wasn't really paying attention to the sugar aspect for baking - as I am not handy in the kitchen. I'll do a little research for you. Some recipies on her site from different sources have sugar as an ingredient.

In the meantime, here's one of Jillian's recipes.

Jillian's Chocolate Chip Cookies
Ingredients

1/2 cup(s) butter, one stick
1/2 cup(s) sugar substitute, heat-stable
2 large egg white(s)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup(s) protein powder, vanilla-flavored
3 tablespoon cocoa powder, unsweetened
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoon milk, fat-free
1/4 cup(s) chocolate chips, semisweet miniature
Preparation

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a medium mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugar substitute until well blended. Add the egg whites and vanilla extract; beat well.
In a separate bowl, stir together the protein powder, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Add slowly to the butter mixture, pouring milk in simultaneously and beating until well blended. Stir in the chocolate minichips.

Drop by teaspoonfuls onto an ungreased baking sheet. Bake 7 to 9 minutes or just until set. Remove from baking sheet to wire rack. Cool completely.

Recipe Source: Jillian Michaels

Last edited by AMonkey; 07-01-2009 at 12:00 AM..
AMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 05:22 AM   #1085
Major LCF Poster!

Ended the day at:
1409 cals-would have been less, but I had ribs for dinner
62% fat
2% carbs
38% protein

Back down 1.2 pounds to 158.7. Back on the roller coaster.

I get really hungry in the afternoon, sometimes just an hour after eating. If I want to keep my cals down, no way I can have a snack. Sometimes I will just have a spoonful of cream cheese-not the best choice, but it does bring my fat up and does a little toward satisfying me.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:56 AM   #1086
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good Morn girls! Another day of DIETLand or should I say WOELand!

Annette: I wonder why Jillian has sugar substitute in her recipe when I thought she was opposed to artificial sugars? I'll print this recipe out and use it on a rainy day - thanks. I bought sugar free chocolate chips a couple of months ago. Haven't used them yet - maybe for this recipe.

I used Calorie Count yesterday for logging in my food. The thing I find difficult is when I want to change the Nutrition label - it's not easy to change the quanity or make it less than 1 serving. For example, Oscar Mayer Deli Turkey - Calorie count doesn't have the exact product, so I go to change the label. The label goes by quanity of grams - so I need to convert it. Also, I don't eat (1) serving most of the time - I eat less. So when I convert the calories I need to divide myself the nutritional label and divide also the fats, cholesteral, vitamins so forth.

When I create a food on ******, I can read and type right off the Nutritional label, and if I eat less than a serving, I can change the "quanity" and it'll automatically divide the nutritional info.

Anyway, my calorie count figs of yesterday:

I fall short of any suggested ratio of BFFM - was trying to aim for 40/40/20.

Fat: 45.6% (ugghhhh) 82g - calorie count doesn't let me go back to see where all the fat came from but I thought I was eating low fat except for the bacon.

Prot: 26%, 123 g

Carbs: 27% - 109g

Calories: 1276

This is what I ate:

B:1/2 cup egg beaters in a smigen of smart balance lite, 1 Sara Lee whole wheat toast w/a smigen of smart balance lite spread

Mid Snack: 1/2 cup oatmeal in skim milk and 1 nectarine, 2 slices of pre-cooked bacon

Lunch: homemake chicken salad w/Hellman's Light Mayo - 1/2 Tbsp w/celery
on 2 slices of Sara Lee Whole Wheat toast.

Dinner: Homemade lean meatballs in homemade speghetti sauce and speghetti squash w/smart balance light, garlic powder.

Snack: 1 cup Pop Secret no added butter

Snack: 1 cup strawberries, 2 slices of Oscar Mayer Deli shaved turkey and 3 slices of provolone cheese-lite.

I guess it'll take time to figure out what I need to eat to get my ratios closer. Iantic says not to worry about the ratios but I like guidelines and it looks like it's impossible to eat only 20% fat. The foods are that low in fat are fruits and veggies. Maybe that's my problem. I'm also having a problem eating 1500-1800 calories a day. How can you up your calories anything significant without adding meat and fat? Veggies and fruit are not high in calories. Fat is high in calories. BFFM wants you to eat plenty of protein too. There is fat in all meats.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:03 AM   #1087
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atkinsgoddess View Post
Ended the day at:
1409 cals-would have been less, but I had ribs for dinner
62% fat
2% carbs
38% protein

Back down 1.2 pounds to 158.7. Back on the roller coaster.

I get really hungry in the afternoon, sometimes just an hour after eating. If I want to keep my cals down, no way I can have a snack. Sometimes I will just have a spoonful of cream cheese-not the best choice, but it does bring my fat up and does a little toward satisfying me.
Try peanut butter for a snack - right out the the jar on a spoon - Smucker's Natural - is pretty good. I doctor it up by a pinch of Splenda and a pinch of salt. Even my DD likes it better than Peter Pan (our family fav). That way you don't have the sugars.

Congrats on the 1.2 pound loss.

I lost a couple of ounces yesterday...did not exercise (doing 3x a week) and ate carbs! As of this morning, 141.0. Yesterday 141.3. I even had TOM so I'll take it. This morning going to gym before work and doing the whole shabammm - elipical 5 min warm up, weight machines upper and lower and then 1/2 hour of treadmill.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:19 AM   #1088
Major LCF Poster!

Linda, I am so interested in the changes you have made in your "diet". When I was "off" on Friday, I only had 10 more carbs than you did on your "on" day! I am just so happy eating "real" foods that I just don't want to eat "lite" or "skim" or *shudder* egg beaters. And you're right, how are you going to eat more calories?? BUT to me, your menu looks very much like a low cal, WW-type menu. Too much thinking for me.

do you mean homemade spaghetti as in homemade pasta?? Haven't done that in years!

re: snack-the pb would up my cals alot more than the ccheese does, and I EASILY hit my max every day.

The weight loss brings me back to where I was 2 weeeks ago, still3 pounds more than a month ago...

Last edited by Scotty; 07-01-2009 at 07:21 AM..
Old 07-01-2009, 10:49 AM   #1089
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

No, I made homemade sauce using canned crushed tomatoes w/italian spices and fresh garlic and homemade meatballs.

I'm known to make my own pierogis (dough) - I am half Polish. No jokes please.

I would love to make my own pasta and my powerful Mixer has room for a pasta attachment. If I could only....get away with it! Maybe 1 day....never say never.

I've never done Weight Watchers....interesting. How many carbs, protein, fats, calories do they allow each day? Not about to count points.

One thing I've noticed is that usually in the past, carbs made me hungry and now they are making me full. Seems to me my insulin and blood sugar has been corrected. Eating every 3 hrs (more or less) has been helping too.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:59 AM   #1090
Major LCF Poster!

WW doesn't count those things; they are automatically calculated in a little "slide rule" type of thing they give you-or at least they did when I joined in 2000. But when I was at "goal" at 162, I was eating around 1200 cals a day.

Maxwell is 1/4 Polish...
Old 07-01-2009, 05:41 PM   #1091
Major LCF Poster!

ok, I'm done. Had two chix thighs and a small salad for dinner, plus tastes of the steak I was slicing for DH's steak/salad. Protein is extra high tonight and I 'm not sure why. Had the usual for bkfst and lunch. Does chicken have more protein than, say, pork or beef?? I had maybe two ounce if that of the beef. Doesn't seem like it should. Anyway...
cals 1341
fat 57% somewhat less than usual
carbs 2%
protein 42%

Last edited by Scotty; 07-01-2009 at 05:42 PM..
Old 07-02-2009, 07:28 AM   #1092
Major LCF Poster!

Hellooooo??
158.4-down a whole 3 tenths of a pound...
Another lousy day here, but the weekend is looking ok up in VT
There will be lots of temptations, but also opportunities for walking around the lake, and there is always a lot of protein, along with the wine...I just have to say no to bread-one of my two downfalls...
Old 07-02-2009, 11:35 AM   #1093
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi,
Been busy ....just got done with an energy healing with a lady and she is here.

I'll write back later.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:44 PM   #1094
Senior LCF Member

Neat! Were you using Reiki, or what? I studied for a while.

We had a "Dip Off" at work to see who could make the best dip - and I ate way too much today (all those tablespoons add up). I'm a huge sucker for spinach dip.

I've got a tension headache from sleeping wrong (I have bone spurs at the base of my neck). I'll work out tomorrow, but I'm taking a pass tonight and will hot foot in into the chiropractor Monday.

Congrats on the weight loss!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitedov1208 View Post
Hi,
Been busy ....just got done with an energy healing with a lady and she is here.

I'll write back later.
Old 07-03-2009, 05:18 AM   #1095
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMonkey View Post
Neat! Were you using Reiki, or what? I studied for a while.

We had a "Dip Off" at work to see who could make the best dip - and I ate way too much today (all those tablespoons add up). I'm a huge sucker for spinach dip.

I've got a tension headache from sleeping wrong (I have bone spurs at the base of my neck). I'll work out tomorrow, but I'm taking a pass tonight and will hot foot in into the chiropractor Monday.

Congrats on the weight loss!
Good Morning!

I was writing you guys my meals and my customer walked in so I erased it before my boss saw it!

I gave her a "Zero Balancing", "Reiki" and a "Head Massage" - Session 2 of 3.
She was in a terrible car accident and broke up her spine - years ago. She is also walking around with a once broken hip that she never got a replacement for and a "pregnant" knee (torn up). All these things and she has no pain. She used to run 3 Churches and now is retired and writing a book on mediation and a childrens book. Plus she is psychic! She saw an Indian medicine man in the healing room dancing around while I was working on her last week and also saw a campfire and Grandfather (Indian) telling her to tell me he's proud of me! I thought that was awesome. I am a trained Shaman and supposed to have a few Indian Spirit guides. I saw a couple of Indians in my meditations years back. I don't anymore so it's neat that she did.

Anyway, she stayed and talked to boss and I all yesterday afternoon. I was so starved and decided to make us all bacon cheese omelets, cottage cheese and watermelon and lc bread! That was about 3:00. I did eat breakfast - 1 cup shredded wheat w/skim milk and muester cheese slices. At 7:00 last night - still hungry (lack of calories) I had a Spam/Cheese melt on whole wheat bread, tomato and Eastern Indian Pakora (deep fried brocolli and cauliflower.

Didn't eat the best yesterday or enough. Scale is still the same. My DH commented that my legs are getting skinny. That's far from the truth but it was a nice comment anyway.

Today would be my gym day but I need to get my hair rehabilitated (as Donna says). Going before work. Too bad I have to work today. Do you guys have the day off? It stinks that 4th of July is on a Saturday!
Old 07-03-2009, 05:45 AM   #1096
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Donna,

Is it raining all week in your part of the country? I am sickened that my summer is a rain out. This week - thunder storms every night and sun peeking out now and then during the day. Pennyslvania soon will be a rain forrest!

Tonight, kicks off a large carnival about 15 min from my house. Husband and I are going tonight, provided that it's not a wash out.

I will declare this a "eat what I want" day. How can a person resist pizza, fries, ice cream at a carnival, I ask you?

I'll bust my hump at the gym this weekend to make up for it.
Old 07-03-2009, 06:14 AM   #1097
Major LCF Poster!

The weekend is looking up, but it was a very rainy June.

I had reiki a couple times-one of the red hatters does it-and I felt nothing...also, another of them reads tarot and what she said was so right on that it was scary. She also reads auras and is a wiccan. See, RHS isn't just little old ladies going out to tea. You wouldn't believe some of the things our group does...

Linda, I'm fascinated by all the varied interests and abilities you have.

I didn't do well last night-not sure why-had a roll, some ice cream and some sugar free "lemon drops"-the drink not the candy Cals 2400 carbs 61

On our way to VT soon, and will be able to spend lots of time with Maxwell.

Last edited by Scotty; 07-03-2009 at 06:15 AM..
Old 07-03-2009, 08:13 AM   #1098
Senior LCF Member

Linda,
That woman has been through it! I don't think I'd be that inspirational. What is zero balancing? Likewise I've been told I have a guide. But when I spoke to someone who can see, he said he didn't see anyone hanging around.

I've only had Reiki once, and it was wonderful. I actually went through a course and got a certificate, but I wasn't consistent and have forgotten everything.

Like I said, yesterday I ate too much dip - but guacamole and spinach dip are healthy at least. My calories are in the 1300 range when I'm not working out and a little higher when I do. I "feel" heavier this week, even thought last week was "TOM." Maybe it's the milk in the Starbucks Vivanno smoothies? Maybe I should go back to soy. Maybe I'm building muscle? Supposedly, a calorie is a calorie - but I don't think so.

I took pictures of my problem areas, thighs, hanging butt, handful of flab on the ab and that fat that pillows out from around the sides of your sports bra. Obviously, I'm not going to post those, but before and after pictures are very helpful and inspirational - so I'll just keep "keepin' on."

I have the day off, and friends are coming over for BBQ. I have some chicken kabobs and salad to keep me busy - but I can hear the potato salad calling me through the fridge door. What is the allure of potatoes?

Have a wonderful 4th!
Old 07-03-2009, 09:52 AM   #1099
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

My customer firmly believes "mind over matter" and to get rid of the mass consciousness fear based thinking. If you think that a food or smoking will harm you - it will. She quit regular cigarettes because of the chemicals and bought herself a corn cob pipe and using American Spirit no chemical tobacco because her spirit guide says that tobacco is one of the sacred herbs. So...she's going to continue tobacco in a safer way.

She just called me while I'm writing here...said she was told to tell me to take Zinc - 50mg - will help me with my sinuses. Not a problem - that is readily available.

Don't worry about the dips - spinach is good for you in whatever form.

Annette: You do have a spirit guide (probably more than one) - that person just didn't see it. Plus there are others that come and go depending on what you're into. Sometimes there is "changing of the guards" - a period that the ones you had are leaving and another group is coming in - and there are none for a short time. That's what we call - Dark Night of the Soul - it feels like we have noone watching over us and no direction. Mild depression sets in. It doesn't happen often. When it happens, be patient. I went thru it eariler this year.

Donna: I read Tarot cards too. My DH was afraid of me for a while and told me to read his Tarot cards. I saw him getting a new car. But I downplayed it and said his car is going to need repairs. Within a month - it did and he got a new car. Then he had me lay out for a co-worker of his that had to take time off work for a month but didn't tell anyone what it was. I said I think she has a mild form of cancer but she'll be ok. Turns out she did (on her nose) and she is fine now. Don't ask me how or why it works. But anyone can do it.

Donna: Zero balancing is releasing the energy stores that are locked up in the skeletal system that are caused by trauma - emotional or physical. I do fulcrums (pressure points with movements) up the spinal cord, legs, feet, hips, arms, neck and shoulders. People with fibromyliga or vertebrae issues benefit the most but it's also good for kinks and my daughter who had a scolerosis operation asks me to do it for her. I only wish someone could do it for me! Not a well known modality.

Well, gotta run. Have typing to do for boss.

Later gators!
Old 07-03-2009, 11:19 AM   #1100
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Donna and Annette - I sent you both a private message. Informational stuff.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:41 AM   #1101
Senior LCF Member

Thank you! That was very helpful. I found a link to the Don't Eat This, Eat That site. It's fun and kinda surprising in some cases. Eat This, Not That - The No-Diet Weight Loss Solution From Men's Health
Old 07-04-2009, 07:00 AM   #1102
Senior LCF Member

Here's info regarding Jillian's take on sugar substitutes.

I want you to cut down on regular sugar as much as possible, but it's okay in very small amounts. If you eat too much sugar, it will make you gain weight, but at least it's natural and not completely screwing up your internal calorie counter.

The key is to use natural, nontoxic products. I recommend crystalline xylitol and stevia. The artificial sweeteners I want you to steer clear of are acesulfame-K (Sunett, Sweet One), aspartame (NutraSweet, Equal), saccharin (Sweet'N Low, Sugar Twin), and sucralose (Splenda).

Yesterday, while the other folks had Ben and Jerry's, I had the vanillia bean flavor of a Haagen daz brand called "5." There's only 5 ingredients. 220 calories for a 1/2 cup. I added a teaspoon of fresh blueberries - and it's sooooooooooo.... good.

Hope everyone has a lovely holiday. We have a storm headed our way - don't know if it will hit or miss the fireworks planned for tonight by the casinos.

Last edited by AMonkey; 07-04-2009 at 07:05 AM.. Reason: Only 220 calories!
Old 07-04-2009, 07:26 AM   #1103
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

[QUOTE=AMonkey;12182489]Here's info regarding Jillian's take on sugar substitutes.

I want you to cut down on regular sugar as much as possible, but it's okay in very small amounts. If you eat too much sugar, it will make you gain weight, but at least it's natural and not completely screwing up your internal calorie counter.

The key is to use natural, nontoxic products. I recommend crystalline xylitol and stevia. The artificial sweeteners I want you to steer clear of are acesulfame-K (Sunett, Sweet One), aspartame (NutraSweet, Equal), saccharin (Sweet'N Low, Sugar Twin), and sucralose (Splenda).

QUOTE]

I do have Xylitol but wasn't sure of the good/bad effects of it. I also have Diabeti Sweet (at grocery store's diabetic section) but that is Isomalt and Acesulfame-K. I hardly used it but I have it in "brown sugar" which is hard to find. Our store never carried Splenda brown sugar. They have that "blend" but that's half regular sugar and half splenda.

I always trusted Stevia over all the others. Xylitol is in alot of the "organic natural" nose sprays but I heard it can cause diaarhea. I don't use alot of artificial sugar anyway and don't bake alot of my treats but someday I'm going to have a craving and like to know what is the safiest and try to use that.

Now that it's the summer - I do like to have a Diet Rite a couple of times a week but I don't finish the can. That's Splenda. I heard that Pepsi was trying to get approval to use Stevia for their diet sodas. I don't think the FDA approved it yet. But that would be nice.....
Old 07-04-2009, 07:44 AM   #1104
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

DH and I went to our local carnival as planned. Since I declared it to be "eat what I want" day - I did.

DH and I shared every baddie food....small fries, cinnamon bun, pizza slice and we had our own small Cho-Cho ice cream cup. No weight change this morning and we had a great time.

Got lots of cleaning to do today at home - upstairs and downstairs and wash and bedding so I doubt I'll go to the gym today. Tomorrow will be a Linda Spa day - tanning bed - then gym w/sauna.

I gotta check on my order of Jillian's book. It didn't come in yet and I've gotten my other books in the meantime. I hope I'm not going to get stuck and have to fight the seller. I hate that!

Although I've read the main BFFM e-book, there were 3 other bonus books including a recipe book that I have yet to read.

My 4th of July is going to be simple fare: hot dogs/hamburgers and veggies on the grill/homemade potato salad and watermelon.

Donna: Hope you're having a great time with your grandkiddies. You are probably without a computer so Annette and I will have to wait until Monday to hear from ya!

Have a Great 4th everyone!
Old 07-04-2009, 08:33 AM   #1105
Senior LCF Member

There's a Venuto audio book available for the iPod. I'm thinking of getting it.

Time to read before the hubby gets up and turns on the TV.

Annette
Old 07-05-2009, 12:24 PM   #1106
Senior LCF Member

OK - Up a pound. I thought it was about calorie in - calorie burned? I did go lower than 1200 a few days - so maybe my metabolism slowed down? Maybe my body mass is just moving around. Maybe I should stick to Jillian's menu plan for a bit to make sure my percentages are correct.

And last time I weighed it was my TOM - when I should have been heavier. This could have something to do with being on the pill. I have to stay on estrogen until I get my surgery.

Old 07-05-2009, 08:21 PM   #1107
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMonkey View Post
OK - Up a pound. I thought it was about calorie in - calorie burned? I did go lower than 1200 a few days - so maybe my metabolism slowed down? Maybe my body mass is just moving around. Maybe I should stick to Jillian's menu plan for a bit to make sure my percentages are correct.

And last time I weighed it was my TOM - when I should have been heavier. This could have something to do with being on the pill. I have to stay on estrogen until I get my surgery.

Don't feel bad - I gained 3 lbs from Friday! I know I didn't eat 3500 x 3 calories but it's water weight for eating junk food. Getting back on track Monday - fun's over.

Yours is probably hormonal from the pill .

Don't go lower than 1200 because you may be slowing down your metabolism from eating too low calories. You must FEED the muscles

You might try eating every 3 hrs (mini meals) as I can contest that it helps me. This weekend I did not nor did I drink the water I should have. So, I'm hitting the gym more this week and doing more cardio. Weight machines will remain at 3x a week. I'm going to try to get at least 1/2 hr on the tread machines before work a few times this week. I do notice when I do cardio- my water weight goes down. I'm going to try to eat clean this week and see if I notice the scale changing.

Tom says that cardio burns the sugar and fat right there and then.

Weight training doesn't start burning until AFTER you stop and it continues when you rest.

Both are important but cardio can be done "anytime, everyday"; whereas weight training should be 3x a week or every other day at the most. When you break down the muscle (as in weight machines or free weights) , you must let it build (by resting - not lifting for at least a day) and that in itself burns calories and fat. If you weight lift too often - you're not giving your muscles a chance to rebuild and actually SLOWING down your metabolism and fat burning.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:41 PM   #1108
Senior LCF Member

Ah! Good to know. I'm not doing any real "weight" training. The 30 Day Shred uses hand weights, but I'm pretty sure it's OK to do it every day.

I went into the Health Food store next to my gym "just to look." Ha! I ended up buying a discount membership, Protein Powder for smoothies and Super Green food to get my PH in balance. My PH was acid off the charts. It had been a few hours since I'd eaten, but I think I'll try it again tomorrow after I've brushed my teeth.

Today I just did cardio on the elliptical, but I didn't eat any naughty food. And I replaced the Mrs. Butterworth with real maple syrup. Gosh, I'm just dying for buckwheat pancakes. There's a restaurant in town that does an exceptional job. But those will be a treat after I've behaved for a while.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:23 AM   #1109
Major LCF Poster!

had a wonderful time in VT but weather was lousy-broke for the fireworks and we watched it from the boat on the lake-lovely.

Maxwell was a sweetheart but a bit of the terrible twos is breaking through.

I tried to be careful, but I certainly didn't low carb, and I feel fat so I am probably up 4 or 5,a nd since I don't ex. like you two do, it will take me time to get it off.

We are meeting a friend we haven't seen in over twenty years today! He has a stopover at the airport and we are going up to visit with him for a while. Fun.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:25 PM   #1110
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: numoon56
Stats: 125/118
WOE: any low carb diet
Start Date: recommiting for good this time on march 2006
I am rejoining again and on induction again !! hope this time I will loose those last 10 pounds for good !!
numoon56 is offline   Reply With Quote