Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2009, 06:39 AM   #871
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BlueTopaz
Stats: 160/156/140
WOE: whatever works
Start Date: 10 years ago - Height 5' 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by atkinsgoddess View Post
Finding out what type you are-that's not the one you started with me, is it? I did a test here on the boards for metabolism, and I came out "mixed"...I don't really have cravings but I do enjoy some carbs. My library doesn't have the book so I think I will wait for the paperback. I'm sure I would be paranoid about the carbs, since I am barely losing on almost 0 carbs...

Down a whopping 2 tenths of a pound this morning and stix is barely in the "trace" color, and this is after a week of those extremely low carbs. in Atkins 72, he says you should be purple after about 3 days of induction and losing nicely. Yeah, right...
Post #852 - I mention the questionaire on Metabolic Type.

With your very low carb eating and no change in stiks or weight seems to me that you may be a Metabolism B and prime for this diet.

The book just came out so maybe you could order it from your library? Our library lets you order books online and they call you when it comes in.
BlueTopaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2009, 07:40 AM   #872
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Scotty
Stats: 174/160.9/140- 5' 7.5" born in 1946
WOE: Enjoying JUDDD's freedom after years of low carb
Start Date: Every day!!! JUDD start 1/13/12
Yes, I think that's the test I took yest. from one of the posts about metabolism, but I came out NOT type B. BUT since I'm not losing at this point I'm willing to try anything. Obviously I haven't read the book so I'm speaking from ignorance, but how would increasing carbs make me lose?? And do you have to eat in the middle of the night to do your 5X5?? Well, I'll see about the book.

This is the checklist, and I don't feel it really pertains to me for the most part, although i do think it's kind of vague, you know, like a horoscope??

____ You tire easily and frequently feel fatigued, even upon awaking. [COLOR="Red"]not really[/COLOR]

____ You feel mildly depressed. [COLOR="red"]nope[/COLOR]

____ You feel an energy slump in the late afternoon. [COLOR="Red"]not that I notice, other than I only get 4-5 hours' sleep at night[/COLOR]

____ You frequently feel anxious. [COLOR="red"]nope[/COLOR]

____ You crave carbohydrate foods, such as bread, chips, sweets, or pasta. [COLOR="red"]not really[/COLOR]

____ Your midsection has a roll of fat. [COLOR="red"]doesn't everyone who has some weight to lose?[/COLOR]

____ You gain weight easily and find it difficult to lose weight. [COLOR="red"]yup[/COLOR]

____ You have racing thoughts.[COLOR="red"]nope, unless I'm on a roll on some project, and that's a good thing[/COLOR]

____ Your sexual drive has declined. [COLOR="red"]HECK NO[/COLOR]

____ You find it difficult to focus and concentrate and are easily distracted. [COLOR="red"]nope[/COLOR]

____ You are irritable and have a "short fuse". [COLOR="red"]depends on who pi**es me off[/COLOR]

____ You feel slightly dizzy, flushed, or "weak in the knees" after even a little bit of alcohol. [COLOR="Red"]DEFINITELY not me [/COLOR]

"If you're afraid of butter, add a little cream" Julia Child

Last edited by Scotty; 06-04-2009 at 08:02 AM..
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 03:52 AM   #873
Major LCF Poster!

Why am I gaining weight on this diet??
Yesterday-1312 cals, 58% fat, 3% carbs 39% protein

Average for the week- 1386 cals; 62% fat, 3% carb, 35% protein
Exercise every day
UP 7 TENTHS OF A POUND FROM YESTERDAY!!
Old 06-05-2009, 05:21 AM   #874
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Why am I gaining weight on this diet??
Yesterday-1312 cals, 58% fat, 3% carbs 39% protein

Average for the week- 1386 cals; 62% fat, 3% carb, 35% protein
Exercise every day
UP 7 TENTHS OF A POUND FROM YESTERDAY!!
[COLOR="Blue"]I really don't know why you are gaining. Your protein is low - remember the 62 grams per day as a minimum you and I should be eating from the Protein Power book? I know it didn't make a difference when you ate alot of protein but now you're exercising and need more protein. I am at a loss to what to tell you except to get lab work done, a physical and start a gym membership or exercise at home at least 30 mins per day. Something is not balanced with your metabolism. You said that when you spit in a cup - you did not have Candida. Atkins says that could be a reason not to lose. We don't know what your thyroid health is and we don't know about your glucose levels and those are the only 2 things I can think that would make you resistant to losing weight.

Did you measure yourself since you've been exercising? I just did and I didn't lose any inches since but I can tell I'm getting firmer. The thighs are even starting to show a little firmness - still alot of work to be done on them. The last time I did Atkins, my thighs really slimmed down but now they are being very stubborn. I did lose 1 lb since yesterday - now at 140. That's the way it's supposed to happen. Get TOM, gain a few pounds, then TOM goes away and I lose.[/COLOR]

My day yesterday:

B: none
L: Steak Umm, lettuce, onion, mayo on low carb wrap and 1/2 cup broccoli
D: Pot Roast in crock pot with 3/4 cup string beans and 1/2 cup califlower.
Snack: handful of Planter's peanuts w/sea salt (I was full then)
Drank more water yesterday than usual but still not (8) 8 oz. :blush:

Fitness:

Warm up: Eclipical - 3 mins. I hate that machine - my thighs were on fire. Probably the machine that I should be on more than any. Heartbeat goes up fast - 140's - got off.

Crunch machine: my abdominals were still sore from Tuesday but I wanted to work them a little more. Didn't do too much - maybe 10 curls.

Upper Body: hit a lot of machines. Some were with no weights but did the reps. I do like the butterfly one. Feel like Amazon woman doing that machjone!

Did more leg machines especially the one with the push plate for front thigh muscles. Love that one. I did the calf machine - I could actually see my calf muscles for the 1st time in my life.

Treadmill - 1/2 hr. to end. About a mile I think at a quick pace. Can't get myself to jog yet - afraid of falling off the machine yet.

I was tired when I got home and vegged out watching TV. Not sore today but it's usually the 2nd day after exercise that I feel it.

[COLOR="Black"]Okay, I got the book out. The questions you listed below match the "Clues" in the book. There are other ones as well.

1) Have you dieted for years, perhaps successfully in the past, but now even tried and true diets you once relied upon for weight loss fail you?

2) Do you notice that you can only stick to a diet for a short time and you get so discouraged by the dismal results, constant hunger and overwhelming cravings that you abandon your good intentions?

3) Are you gaining weight regardless of your efforts and is this weight shifting into a roll around your middle?

4) Does the fat around your midsection look and feel spongy, loose and watery?

5) Can people around you can eat more and yet weigh less than you?

6) Is your overall healthy - physical, mental and emotional declining as your weight increases?

7) Do you meed medical presciptions for weight related health problems such as hypertension, choleesterol, triglycerides, acid reflux, insomia, depression, anxiety or arthritis pain?

8) Despite diet and exercise, has your doctor forced to increase your meds or add new persciptions to maintain your health?

9) Do cravings sometimes gnaw at you like an addiction and do you feel a strong urge to eat carbs such as candy, sweets, bread, pasta or chips?

10) Do you feel depressed, irritable, unattractive and undesireable?

11) Are you fatigued, even after a proper amount of sleep?

12) Do you miss the "old" you?

If you answer yes to several of these questions, then your body has changed to Metabolism B. Go directly to the following simple checklist of symptoms to learn whether the Met Miracle can help you regain your health and sense of well being and lose weight forever. If you answer no to all of these checkpoints, it's quite possible that you have textbook metabolism (A), and can lose weight with any good weight loss program.

Then, there's a list of health conditions that are affected by Met. B. No use for me to type them out because I don't know if you have any of them. I do.

Then, she shows what your blood work looks like from the lab on glucose, cholesterol, triglycerides, hemoglobin, blood pressure. I have many.

Then, a list of eating habits - too lengthy to type

I'll private mail you on the rest but you should get the book. It's a lot of people examples and she goes into the "reasons" why a Met B doesn't do well on other diets. Her plan corrects your metabolism so you can eat like a normal person (within limits of carbs but still generous amount - even potatoes eventually). But if you can't adhere to eating a snack in mid afternoon or after supper, I doubt the diet will work for you. You also have to do some form of exercise for at least 1/2 hr each day.
[/COLOR]
Old 06-05-2009, 10:13 PM   #875
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AMonkey
Stats: 158/129/125
WOE: Organic Whole Foods
Start Date: October 2008
I carboloaded the last two days because of some tummy trouble. Tomorrow I go back to low carb and get it together. And I need to get back to the gym and hit that elliptical. I like it because I can watch TV and forget I'm working out.

Tonight I did my first 45 minute set of exercises with Jillian Michaels. Wow! And that was the easiest of the three DVD's I bought. On the top of the DVD box it says "Lose up to 20 Pounds in 30 Days." Well, I don't need 20, but 5 or 10 would be good. It's the muscle I'm after - and less flabby abby on the arms and abs. I'm going to try the 30 Day Shred DVD tomorrow.

My sister is coming in town, so I need to keep the eating out to places where low-carb is available. I only get to see her a few times a year, so I'm pretty excited. We're going hiking and to a Cirque de Soilel show for her birthday.

I went to the used book store down the street from work and found Protein Power, The Schwarzbeing Principle and Dr. Adkins' New Diet Revolution. I'll have to go to Barnes and Noble or Borders to find the book you recommended.
AMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 03:23 AM   #876
Major LCF Poster!

Just checking in to say that after another day of extremely low carbs and 20 min of ex. I gained another .4 pound. I am about ready to quit, but I know that if I quit I'll gain even more. I am very disheartened and close to tears. Stik is in 0 zone still. I will measure today, but clothes fit the same. I am going to try to see if I can stick to the fat fast today, and then I don't know what to do.

cals 1629
fat 52%
carbs 2%
protein 46%
NO BOOZE FOR OVER A WEEK
Old 06-06-2009, 11:15 AM   #877
Senior LCF Member

How long have you been doing low carbs? The Schwarzbein book is very informative. It discusses why we don't lose weight and why. I came from CA (about an hour from where Dr. Schwarzbein lives) and had heard of her diet, but thought it was only for diabetics. It turns out she uses the eating plan to heal people's bodies who have been on low fat, high carb diets. Very low or zero carb is used to allow the body to regain insulin balance (output/input) and then the person eats carbs based on their needs (age and activity).

So, it's very, very similar to Adkins - just no Frankenfoods and no staying on induction levels past the time you need to heal.

Check out Blood Sugar 101 it's for diabetics, but there is some very interesting info about how we don't lose weight because our bodies fight to hang on to our set point.

My friend's husband is an endocronogist. He has prescribed her diet for a long time with much success.

I'll keep reading and share what I find.

I'd get rid of all the fake (man-made) foods from your diet. Your body doesn't know what to do with them and it breaks down the cells in body and can cause insulin resistance. I am throwing out the diet Jello and sticking with real food from now on. BTW - bread is a man-made food .

Hang in there, and remember - it's about being healthy first - the weight comes second.
Old 06-06-2009, 12:52 PM   #878
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMonkey View Post
How long have you been doing low carbs? The Schwarzbein book is very informative. It discusses why we don't lose weight and why. I came from CA (about an hour from where Dr. Schwarzbein lives) and had heard of her diet, but thought it was only for diabetics. It turns out she uses the eating plan to heal people's bodies who have been on low fat, high carb diets. Very low or zero carb is used to allow the body to regain insulin balance (output/input) and then the person eats carbs based on their needs (age and activity).

So, it's very, very similar to Adkins - just no Frankenfoods and no staying on induction levels past the time you need to heal.

Check out Blood Sugar 101 it's for diabetics, but there is some very interesting info about how we don't lose weight because our bodies fight to hang on to our set point.

My friend's husband is an endocronogist. He has prescribed her diet for a long time with much success.

I'll keep reading and share what I find.

I'd get rid of all the fake (man-made) foods from your diet. Your body doesn't know what to do with them and it breaks down the cells in body and can cause insulin resistance. I am throwing out the diet Jello and sticking with real food from now on. BTW - bread is a man-made food .

Hang in there, and remember - it's about being healthy first - the weight comes second.
The Metabolism Miracle - 3 step plan is like what you described. A corrective way to get your hormone "insulin" working properly so it doesn't make too much - then gets dumped into your cells that end up being fat cells that grow bigger and bigger. You don't have to be a bona fide diabetic to have a problem with insulin. It's supposed to be a way for your body to handle CARBS without excess output of insulin. There is a thread on Low Carb Friends just on Metabolism Miracle. I asked the quesion. Has anyone BEEN on Atkins before trying this WOE? One responded yes and they are losing weight.

My thinking for you Donna, if low carb, high fat isn't working anymore, then you should try a different approach such as the Metabolism Miracle. Even Atkins has you upping your carbs at a point in time. It's easy to become carb phobic and I admit I'm a little scared but when it's broke, you gotta fix it.
It's controlled carbs and over a 3 step time period of 8 weeks. And I'll try to type it out for you later today. Just taking a break now from cleaning all day for the party tomorrow.
Old 06-06-2009, 01:49 PM   #879
Major LCF Poster!

I have been low carbing since 2003. Obviously I had "off" days, but basically kept to it, although I have gained since my low.

I eat virtually no fake foods. I occasionally will have a bit of jello, and once or twice a week a diet soda. That is IT.

I measured today. Although I just measured about a week ago. All measurements are either the same or up a bit.

Doing the fat fast today, and feel a little head achey and a bit hungry , but that's it.

Last edited by Scotty; 06-06-2009 at 01:50 PM..
Old 06-07-2009, 03:59 AM   #880
Major LCF Poster!

down to 156.5-that's about 2 pounds. That's what most people get on regular induction, but for me it was on 1014 cals, 79% fat, 1% (???) carbs and 14% protein. Most of the carbs came from creamcheese. According to the package, it is 2 carbs per ounce.

I am not exercising today because I am a little light headed, but it has been six of the seven days. I will probably modify it to 1200 cals. Don't know how I can up the fat and lessen the carbs since Atkins says cream cheese is the perfect fat fast food...

My stik is only barely between small and moderate....amazing.

Linda, I will try the Met. Mir. and see if I can get the book.
Old 06-07-2009, 05:24 AM   #881
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
down to 156.5-that's about 2 pounds. That's what most people get on regular induction, but for me it was on 1014 cals, 79% fat, 1% (???) carbs and 14% protein. Most of the carbs came from creamcheese. According to the package, it is 2 carbs per ounce.

I am not exercising today because I am a little light headed, but it has been six of the seven days. I will probably modify it to 1200 cals. Don't know how I can up the fat and lessen the carbs since Atkins says cream cheese is the perfect fat fast food...

My stik is only barely between small and moderate....amazing.

Linda, I will try the Met. Mir. and see if I can get the book.

Donna,
Yeah, get the book as it will be more convincing than me. Go to a bookstore and read up today while you have the day off. What's the worse that can happen - you gain a little? Then you go back to Atkins. I have a feeling you will not see that happen. Others seem to do very well. I'll be starting officially on Tuesday. Monday is when I have to take my boss for his colosopy so I decided not to start it tomorrow. I don't have enough snacks or low fat cheese to sustain me.

I was exhausted last night and went to bed early. I must leave to get the cake and potato salad now and pick up my friend. I didn't get to type you the diet. Sorry.
I ate all meat yesterday and 1 piece of low carb bread and gained 1 lb. ???
Oh and some peanuts. I just picked on this and that. But that is what happens when Metab. B's don't eat enough. Not sure if I'm just going to eat all these party carb foods today or not. I was hoping that by eating just meat yesterday, I'd be down 1 or 2 lbs and feel ok about eating everything today but that's not the case. Seems like I do better with eating some carbs and my energy is better.

Have a happy Sunday girls!
Old 06-07-2009, 02:47 PM   #882
Senior LCF Member

So much to read - and so may "expert" opinions. It's quite overwhelming isn't it!! So far, in what I'm reading - our bodies can only handle the carbs we need. Extra carbs go straight to fat because they stimulate insulin production in our bodies. Fat alone does not stimulate insulin - and therefore cannot be stored. And very interesting - it's not the cholesteral we eat that clogs up our arteries, it's the cholestral our bodies make when we don't eat the cholestral we need that clogs things up. So let's see how well this conversation goes with my doctor when we discuss my cholestral total that he's so concerned about. It's not the total - it's the ratio. Are doctor's misinformed, stuck on old ideas or simply afraid to get sued? Oh - caffeine, tobacco, sugar, OTC drugs are stimulants and make our bodies product insulin, which is turns opens the doors in our bodies that accept fat storage. While this is overwhelming - it's good to know how to protect our hearts and cells.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:37 PM   #883
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMonkey View Post
So much to read - and so may "expert" opinions. It's quite overwhelming isn't it!! So far, in what I'm reading - our bodies can only handle the carbs we need. Extra carbs go straight to fat because they stimulate insulin production in our bodies. Fat alone does not stimulate insulin - and therefore cannot be stored. And very interesting - it's not the cholesteral we eat that clogs up our arteries, it's the cholestral our bodies make when we don't eat the cholestral we need that clogs things up. So let's see how well this conversation goes with my doctor when we discuss my cholestral total that he's so concerned about. It's not the total - it's the ratio. Are doctor's misinformed, stuck on old ideas or simply afraid to get sued? Oh - caffeine, tobacco, sugar, OTC drugs are stimulants and make our bodies product insulin, which is turns opens the doors in our bodies that accept fat storage. While this is overwhelming - it's good to know how to protect our hearts and cells.

Annette,
From the Metabolism and Protein Power - I read too about the carbs going to fat when our insulin is not in balance i.e, OVERPRODUCING insulin. I was stunned too to read about if you don't eat enough fat, your liver will produce the cholesteral we all need for our cells to be protected and again OVERPRODUCE. That why all these years of touting the low fat, high carb diets - more people are diabetic and have heart disease. Also, people becoming fat is a RESULT of diabetes or insulin imbalance rather than heavy people being warned to lose weight or else you'll get diabetes. The insulin imbalance causes the fat - not the other way around. Astounding and very irritating how the general population is still buying the USDA Food Pyramid despite the proof that it hasn't been working and causing more problems.

When I first went on statin for cholesteral - I did a low fat, high carb diet and sure my cholesteral went down by 30 pts - still at 230 and gained 20 lbs! Always hungry and never satisfied. I got off that baby quick. The same with when I tried vegetarianism - high carb - low fat. Pehaps those people that have a normal metabolism can do well on those diets but as we get older, our metabolisms changed. That's why regular diets don't work for us.

If I could correct the way my body produces insulin and handle more carbs and lower fat - then I've licked it. Time will tell but I will try.

Last edited by BlueTopaz; 06-07-2009 at 06:39 PM..
Old 06-08-2009, 04:32 AM   #884
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning!
After 2 days of the fat fast, I have lost 2.5 pounds-two of them the first day. Certainly not earth shattering considering what a miracle it's supposed to be, and I'm still not down to the lowest I have attained these 6 months of losing less than 10 pounds.... My stik,however, is small to moderate, and I hope it stays there.

Still very discouraged, still sticking to it.

Had a lovely day with grandson Maxwell yesterday. He is such a sweet, sweet child. I love it when he puts his arms up to me, or puts his hand out to take mine, or says my name-"Nana". Grandchildren are your reward for having put up with teenagers...

Last edited by Scotty; 06-08-2009 at 04:33 AM..
Old 06-08-2009, 06:55 AM   #885
Major LCF Poster!

Was just looking at my past weights in ******, and in less than one month in 2003, I lost 10 pounds!! I was exercising 45 minutes a day, but I was also not counting cals, eating low car bread, etc. and drinking quite regularly. *SIGH*
Old 06-08-2009, 09:26 PM   #886
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Was just looking at my past weights in ******, and in less than one month in 2003, I lost 10 pounds!! I was exercising 45 minutes a day, but I was also not counting cals, eating low car bread, etc. and drinking quite regularly. *SIGH*
I know how frustrating that is and I had the same results going on Atkins this time around. That was 6 yrs ago, Donna. When I did Atkins the 1st time - about 6 yrs ago too, my weight came off like melted butter! Metabolism's change. That's why I think we have to adjust accordingly.

When I went on Atkins 72 version this year- I lost 6 lbs that week - that was a huge difference from the newer Atkins of being on for a month for a 2 lb loss. But I know that I could not do the Atkins 72 for much longer than a week like I did before. It was not healthy and my face showed it. Having a great bod then but looking like I aged 10 yrs in the face was not the way I wanted to go.

There's got to be a compromise in these ways of eating and I'm determined t find it!
Old 06-08-2009, 09:32 PM   #887
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

[QUOTE=atkinsgoddess;12073696]Good morning!
After 2 days of the fat fast, I have lost 2.5 pounds-two of them the first day. Certainly not earth shattering considering what a miracle it's supposed to be, and I'm still not down to the lowest I have attained these 6 months of losing less than 10 pounds.... My stik,however, is small to moderate, and I hope it stays there.

Still very discouraged, still sticking to it.

Congrats on 2.5 lb lost I might end up doing it if I don't lose these couple of lbs since TOM and my Sunday party splurge. In reality, as soon as you "don't" do the fat fast - you gain anyway. It's like a temporary fix. :::sigh:::: Between your exercising and doing the fat fast - it may kick up your metabolism and hold it for a while.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:55 AM   #888
Major LCF Poster!

It all began with a wine tasting at work....and then DH came home with a huge gift basket of fancy goodies and a 37" tv as prizes from a charity golf tournament. What with a couple little samples and higher cals, my stats were:

cals 2236; fat 59%; carbs 7%; protein 27%.

Not bad for Atkins, actually, but worth a .7 pound gain overnight...although my stik is still dark pink. Back on track today, but this really stinks.

When I lost that 10 pounds in a month, I was already 10 pounds less than I am now. I would do the FF more days, but I don't think I could do it whilst at work. I really don't mind it and am not really hungry, plus I like cream cheese, but I can't seem to get the fat % over around 75%. I don't know how people get 90% fat unles they are eating butter..mmmmm, butter....
Old 06-09-2009, 06:22 AM   #889
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I didn't fair out too bad eating that Coconut Cream pie slice last nite (the one my boss insisted I bring home for family). I am down 1 lb. since yesterday. I did eat per Atkins the rest of the day.

I did not exercise since last Thursday and noticed my scale said that my body fat went from 30% to 32% since Sunday. It skeezes me that my body is made up of 1/3 fat!!! Most of it in my thighs.

Tonight - I will go to the gym and burn the fat. 5-6 mins of low level eclipical to get heart up to 120 - then fly on the upper and lower body machines - then 40 mins. of fast walking on the treadmill. That's the plan.

Also, more water today!!!

It's morning now and I've got to eat something but not hungry. I'll throw down some peanuts, string cheese and a slice of low carb toast w/whipped butter for breakfast. Had eggs yesterday - can get very tired of eggs.

By the way - on the Metabolism Miracle - you can have 5 egg yolks per week. So, for 2 days - regular eggs (2 per day). If I want more eggs in the week- I'll just use egg beaters. I kind of like Egg Beaters for scrambled eggs. At least they are yellow. I don't find "Just Whites" very tempting to the eyes.

I got my order in from Netrition. Bought a 5 lb container of Whey protein (fiber, protein, low carbs) and will mix it with my morning coffee in my Magic Bullet some mornings for breakfast. Not bad - like a latte' - lighter and frothy. I also got some Carbalose Flour for breading skinless chicken and I love breaded pork chops. I actually used Carbquik with lots of italian seasonings and breaded my boneless/skinless chicken breast and it was darn good! My feeling on Carbquik has changed from the 1st time I tried it. Carbalose is even supposed to be better. Both carbalose and carbquik have alot of fiber and is OK for Metabolism Miracle.

So, Donna, did you buy the Metabolism Miracle book yet?

I'm not officially on it yet. May have to wait until I do my Saturday grocery shopping to get stocked up and plan my meals but I'm going to keep my carbs low and eat my mid afternoon snack. Sort of like "easing" into it.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:03 AM   #890
Major LCF Poster!

Linda, pie and a 1 pound loss!!

LInda, not yet! Gotta go to the bookstore/library at lunch and see if they have it there, or get it on Amazon.

I wish I could get my scale to show those percentages..DH is supposedly working on it, but he's worse than I am with these things, and it seems pretty easy to do to me, just having gotten around to it.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:29 AM   #891
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Donna,
I replied on your personal e-mail this morning too.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:35 PM   #892
Senior LCF Member

OK - I've been saying "tomorrow, I'll get back on track" for the last two weeks. I have not gained any weight, but I'm not too proud of myself. The Jillian Michaels DVDs are awesome! I have to get my priorities in order and get them into my schedule. My DH tried her circuit workout DVD and stopped half way through. And he's in shape. I wonder if some exerice techniques are more geared for women.

I turn 50 in a little less than 2 months, and I do want to be at my goal by then. So, tomorrow it is.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:33 AM   #893
Major LCF Poster!

A....just think of what would have happened if you weren't exercising-you stayed the same which is great!!! I would be 10lbs heavier. Why don't you start-if you aren't already- writing everything down? You'd be surprised what you DON'T eat when you know you have to write it-and maybe post it here. Or maybe don't eat one "bad" thing that you are eating now-start slowly. Or go cold turkey, which, of course, is legal I tend to be the cold turkey type. And remember, 50 is the new 30 (I say that so 60 can be the new 40 )

Back down to 156. I would love to get down a pound or so by the weekend, but of course this weekend I have a big going away party... sigh...I just have to learn to Just Say NO to booze and the snacks that I don't even like that much. For me it's better to not have anything to drink than to just have one, because it never stays just one...
Old 06-10-2009, 05:18 AM   #894
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good Morning Girls!

[COLOR="Red"]Annette[/COLOR]: We talked about your blood type being A and maybe if you eat more chicken and turkey - it may help. Go low on beef and pork. What seems to be your weakness? sweets? carby crunchy snacks? You do exercise which is building up your muscles that weight more than a tub of fat - that's a given. Have you been measuring yourself?

Why don't you both post your measurements at your signature like I do and then after a month - remeasure and post your results?

What do you think about Jillian's No More Trouble Zones DVD? That's the one I have. If you think that's a synch, I sure don't want to run into you in a dark alley because you must be strong as a lion! I'm going to try it very soon again since I've been going to the gym to see if it's just a little easier. IMHO, it's a ass breaker and I hate Jillian after my feeble attempts doing her DVD. In truth, she's dynamite and I like her background of always being a chubby kid. She beat the odds and is helping others. I do respect her.

Well, my gym workout went well last night. My weight doesn't show much improvement as of this morning. I lost .2 lbs. My eating was pure too. At the gym, I did the following:

6 mins of elipical (doubled the last time) to warm up and get my heartbeat at least to 120. However, I first get on the thing and my heart beat is 142! In 6 mins - it was 172! Got off it quick. I have a 30 miles commute from work to gym every day and the traffic must stress me out.

I did some uppper body machines - killers.

Focused on lower body - legs, calves, core - till my legs couldn't budge. I upped the weight and reps.

Went on treadmill and did 20 mins. Treadmill feels good after I work out my legs on the machines. It's like a stretch of what I just crunched. My heart beat lowered to 133.

Hit a cold shower in the gym. I actually broke out with a sweat. Felt good.
This morning, my muscles burn a little but it feels like I pushed my excercising to the right level.

My food yesterday:

B: a few almonds and string cheese
L: 8 oz hamburger w/fried onions, cheedar sauce, sweet peppers and a medium salad
S: a few almonds
D: Tuna salad at Subway (ate all of the tuna and 1/3 of the salad). Those salads are huge!
No late night snack - too tired - went to bed early

[COLOR="red"]Donna[/COLOR]: You need to change your weight on your avatar. Congrats on getting to 156! Your social events are a diet sabottager for sure. I would drink more and eat less!

By the way [COLOR="Red"]Annette[/COLOR], you were born the same year as me: 1959. I will be 50 on December 8th. What a hoot!
:
Old 06-10-2009, 05:42 AM   #895
Major LCF Poster!

Linda, WOW what a workout!! Great!! You are going to be ripped!

My measurements haven't changed much plus they're HUGE!

I did my Pilates last night and have started doing some work on my calves-you know on a stair and up and down tipttoes-Annette, got a better one? I have nice legs-the bottom 3/4 anyway (hate those upper inner thighs) but I feel I need more definition in the calf. Also I have these ugly bat wing upper arms...yuck...

I am looking into HealthTrax here which Ricardo belongs to. He says it's immaculate and they have everything you would need plus 3 free one on ones with a trainer when you join. BUT he pays $100/month for his family membership and says he got a deal-15 mo for the price of 12...that's a little rich for my blood, and I doubt if Dave will join. He said, "show me the literature..."
Old 06-10-2009, 05:55 AM   #896
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm having breakfast this morning: 2 egg bakes (since I didn't have any late night snack) - in the oven right now.

For supper, I dug out my old Campbell's soup recipe book and will try making the Meat-Za Pizza. You use hamburger as your crust. If anyone is interested in the recipe, let me know. I really miss pizza and I keep seeing the Pizza Hut commercials that has me drooling.

Gotta hit the supermarket on my way to work to get pepperoni and bell pepper and some of the items needed for the Metabolism Miracle.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:12 PM   #897
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Linda, WOW what a workout!! Great!! You are going to be ripped!

My measurements haven't changed much plus they're HUGE!

I did my Pilates last night and have started doing some work on my calves-you know on a stair and up and down tipttoes-Annette, got a better one? I have nice legs-the bottom 3/4 anyway (hate those upper inner thighs) but I feel I need more definition in the calf. Also I have these ugly bat wing upper arms...yuck...

I am looking into HealthTrax here which Ricardo belongs to. He says it's immaculate and they have everything you would need plus 3 free one on ones with a trainer when you join. BUT he pays $100/month for his family membership and says he got a deal-15 mo for the price of 12...that's a little rich for my blood, and I doubt if Dave will join. He said, "show me the literature..."
[COLOR="Blue"]Just check into the gym for YOU if $100 is too much. Then, if Dave wants to go real bad, he won't mind the $100. I pay $34.95 a month. I had to pay $149 for registeration and the 1st and last month (if I ever quit) so my total was like $220 for the initial set up. The nice thing about month to month is that you're not locked in. If say, you lose the weight from the gym and get buffed, then quit and continue with your pilates. My center lets you "freeze" the account until you want to re-start it. So, say I'm on vacation for a week or longer, I'll freeze it that month and restart it the next month.

My gym has a calf machine. It's great! I never had defined calf muscles. Mike used to tell me to wear high heels every day to develop calf muscles. I say "yeah, right". And years later, get a bunion operation.

The upper body machines will turn your batwings into Michelle Obama awesome arms. Even my skinny monkey arms are starting to show some muscle. My 2nd cousin commented on them this past Sunday at my daughter's Grad Party.
[/COLOR]
Old 06-10-2009, 09:39 PM   #898
Senior LCF Member

I'll post my measurements - good idea. My cravings are social and emotional. Potato chips, potatoes at breakfast when I eat out, fruit, and nuts (trailmix with cashews, cranberry, raisins, almonds) and frozen custard with bananas and hot fudge sauce. Kinda weird I know.

I love Jillian's No More Trouble Zones. Tomorrow I am going to try the 30 Day Shred workout. I have to modify the push ups - do girl one's.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:32 AM   #899
Major LCF Poster!

Annette, I even have trouble with the girly ones-only get down about a third of the way if that for less than 10. You must be in great shape.

I am back down to 155.8, which means I have lost 2 pounds net in the last 2 months. I'd love to be at 150 by the end of the month. I don't think that is possible though, do you, unless the whoosh fairy deigns to visit a couple times. I've already decided to do the FF this Sunday and to do my best Saturday...

Linda, my exercises don't seem to be doing much, but of course I only workout for about 20 minutes. With Pilates, that's Enough!! When I get a chance, I will look into it. $34.95 I could do, but no more. And I like the system your place uses. What is the calf machine like?
Old 06-11-2009, 06:45 AM   #900
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Linda, my exercises don't seem to be doing much, but of course I only workout for about 20 minutes. With Pilates, that's Enough!! When I get a chance, I will look into it. $34.95 I could do, but no more. And I like the system your place uses. What is the calf machine like?
Well, you sit down and have your legs either straight or 90 degree bent and place your feet on these foot pads that "pivot" front and back. You adjust the weights to what you want and move your toes and upper pad forward and back quickly. I can actually see my calf muscles bulging when I do it. Those I can do easily so I stay on it long. Next time, I'll raise the weight.