Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2009, 09:14 PM   #841
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BlueTopaz
Stats: 160/156/140
WOE: whatever works
Start Date: 10 years ago - Height 5' 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMonkey View Post
Well, I've only exercised once this week and been a tad carb crazy the past few days. I finished a pretty heavy duty project and have been working a lot of overtime - so, I'm decompressing with wine and not thinking about what I am eating or my weight. Monday - I get back on the horse.

I bought some eggs, which I will boil tomorrow. And tomorrow I will get some deli meat and celery and plan out the week's menus.

Carbs are such a slippery slope for me. Before Adkins, my diet was 95% carb. I am not a meat eater by nature (salami and beef ribs are my only meat desires). I had to force myself to eat meat when I started the diet.

While I know that I shouldn't stay on induction levels too long - I need to stick to vegetables, tofu and fruits until I get to the weight I want.

This sounds sappy - but I feel like a carboholic.
[COLOR="Blue"]Annette,

A carboholic on Atkins? Did you ever try the Carbohydratic Addiction Diet? Even so, you have lost alot of weight on your own way carb WOE.

What blood type and zodiac sign are you?[/COLOR]
BlueTopaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2009, 09:17 PM   #842
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Dinner was at 9:30 tonight - ughhh late- but it was good.

Had a chicken breast deli meat w/harvarti cheese on a 3g carb tortilla with avocado and mayo, lettuce, red onion.

Thought I was hungry yet but I drank water and now I'm fine. Did not count my carbs on ****** but I think it's pretty low.

I didn't have the gin and tonic. Kinda sleepy now - may read a little and hit the sack. Busy day.
Old 05-31-2009, 05:20 AM   #843
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Scotty
Stats: 174/160.9/140- 5' 7.5" born in 1946
WOE: Enjoying JUDDD's freedom after years of low carb
Start Date: Every day!!! JUDD start 1/13/12
Linda, well I had used up all the cals and carbs I wanted to, so, I had to declare "done". Wasn't hungry, but, yeah, I could have eaten. That's a given.

I am losing that "water weight" one tenth of a pound at a time. Aren't we supposed to lose more than that on Atkins induction?? Especially at my levels...If I was still u sing my old scale, I wouldn't be seeing a change at all. 157.6 this morning down from 157.8. I look back to Jan. and think if I had only been able to lose a pound a week and keep it off-certainly something you can do even on a low cal diet, I would be down over 20....

I keep wondering what I'm doing wrong.

I am getting ready to do my upper body toning. It's a good workout, including push ups, which I am horrible at.

Going to do a lot of cooking today: making a meatloaf (wondering what to use as filler since I don't have any pork rinds), using the remainder for burgers for tonight; prepping a turkey that's been in the freezer too long, so DH can pop it in the oven tomorrow; marinating lamb chops in something (?), making my frittatas for the week, and cooking my marinated thighs for the week. I could be working on the yard, but since DH is golfing and didn't do a thing yesterday, I won't (like I would anyway...) Then shower and maybe do a little retail therapy...

"If you're afraid of butter, add a little cream" Julia Child

Last edited by Scotty; 05-31-2009 at 05:55 AM..
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:22 AM   #844
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AMonkey
Stats: 158/129/125
WOE: Organic Whole Foods
Start Date: October 2008
Blood Type: A-
Zodiac: Leo <Aug 1>

I looked at the Carb Addiction menu. I do feel so much better eating a consistently low carb diet. So I'd prefer to get back on track with the standard plan.

It's more of an emotional eating issue; I need to change how I handle stress and comfort.

Replace the carb habits with good habits

Anyone read the Tao? I just bought a book with commentary - Dr. Andrew Weil? It's very interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitedov1208 View Post
[COLOR="Blue"]Annette,

A carboholic on Atkins? Did you ever try the Carbohydratic Addiction Diet? Even so, you have lost alot of weight on your own way carb WOE.

What blood type and zodiac sign are you?[/COLOR]
AMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 08:13 AM   #845
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Blood Type: A-
Zodiac: Leo <Aug 1>

I looked at the Carb Addiction menu. I do feel so much better eating a consistently low carb diet. So I'd prefer to get back on track with the standard plan.

It's more of an emotional eating issue; I need to change how I handle stress and comfort.

Replace the carb habits with good habits

Anyone read the Tao? I just bought a book with commentary - Dr. Andrew Weil? It's very interesting.
Annette,
I was kinda thinking you were a blood type A by what you said about not caring for meats and preferring carbs and fruits and veggies. Because that is what blood type A is all about. According to Dr. Adamo, Blood Type A's could be good vegetarians and the best meat that for Blood Type A's poultry. Grains and soy, veggies and fruits are staples. Not trying to sway you away from Atkins - just an interesting observation. Stick with the WOE that you are
most comfortable with because that one will be the one to fall back on if you fall off the wagon. There's a comfort in finding the best plan for you.

Ahhh Leo's. Leos are my favorite pets ~~ literally. My dog and cat are Leo's - cat born 7/25 and dog born 7/24 (same birthdate as my mom). You Leo's have a heart as big as the room and shine !!! Leo's like the good things in life, fun in parties, playful and cannot be ignored. Come to think of it, my boss's best friend is a Leo. A real good man and fits the Leo descriptions to a T. He's the type of person that you can talk to for hours. My boss asks if he wants to talk to me after they talked for a hr or longer and he says YEAH and we'll talk for an hour. Him and his wife came to visit last spring and we hit it off from the start. I actually met him and his wife in St Martin 2 yrs ago and we started talking - him and I and then we found out that he knows my boss from teenager years! They were in a band together. So, I had so much fun e-mailing my boss during vacation and telling him I'm getting pyschic dreams of a man that knows him and described him. I didn't tell him till I was home. He called him and they are the best of friends now. A happy reunion and they think I'm an Angel (messenger of GOD) for getting them back together. I just love the syncronicities!

It's funny...Libras are and were the most pre-dominant signs around me all my life and Leo's come in #2 and both of you are those signs and the most I talk to on these boards. Donna is a Libra in case you're wondering what I'm talking about.

No, I didn't read the Tao book. If it good, I'll borrow it from the library. I've decided to join my local library. I buy way too many books and then sell them on Half.com and constantly going to the post office on my way to work. I don't make out any money and don't try to but my daughter said you can order any book at the library online - so why should you pay? Maybe her college education was well spent in that way - - just kidding.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:46 AM   #846
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atkinsgoddess View Post
Linda, well I had used up all the cals and carbs I wanted to, so, I had to declare "done". Wasn't hungry, but, yeah, I could have eaten. That's a given.

I am losing that "water weight" one tenth of a pound at a time. Aren't we supposed to lose more than that on Atkins induction?? Especially at my levels...If I was still u sing my old scale, I wouldn't be seeing a change at all. 157.6 this morning down from 157.8. I look back to Jan. and think if I had only been able to lose a pound a week and keep it off-certainly something you can do even on a low cal diet, I would be down over 20....

I keep wondering what I'm doing wrong.

I am getting ready to do my upper body toning. It's a good workout, including push ups, which I am horrible at.

Going to do a lot of cooking today: making a meatloaf (wondering what to use as filler since I don't have any pork rinds), using the remainder for burgers for tonight; prepping a turkey that's been in the freezer too long, so DH can pop it in the oven tomorrow; marinating lamb chops in something (?), making my frittatas for the week, and cooking my marinated thighs for the week. I could be working on the yard, but since DH is golfing and didn't do a thing yesterday, I won't (like I would anyway...) Then shower and maybe do a little retail therapy...
Donna,
Ok...don't think I'm preaching.

I keep telling you I don't think you are doing anything wrong.Suffice to say, you need to eventually get a doctor in place. What if you come down with something one day and you have no doctor? What will you do? If you read the boards all on Low Carb friends, everyone goes off the wagon. Nobody is a perfect dieter and they still lose "something" or stall for a little while. Did you ever have a health issue that has you leary of doctor's? Why are you avoiding the obvious? Sorry if I sound too harsh. I don't mean to be.

What does you DH say could be the problem? He sees what you eat and I bet he doesn't even know.

Well, I got TOM this morning - very much of a surprise. Didn't see it coming - no pre-tom cramps but checking the calendar - I am due. It must be the vitamins I take that get rid of the PMS. I have to admit, since going low carb and being more dilligent with my vitamins - pre-men cramps have gone away. So, maybe I was a little hard on myself for gaining 2 lbs from Friday's lunch of cheeseburger and jalapeno poppers but that'll be a unsolved mystery. I have gained another lb this morning - back to 142. At least it answers why my tummy is bloated after I've done a lot of exercising for the past week.

Next Tues is my DD's birthday. She wants me to bake her those Peanut Butter TandyCakes (in a jelly roll pan). I may have 1 then. I absolutely love those and I've made them for my husband and abstained since Atkins in Feburary. Next Sunday is my DD's Grad Party. Of course, she wants all carb foods...3 ft long sandwiches from Subway, Potato Salad, chips, sheet cake, pretzels, appetizers...the works. I was protesting that there's no food for me to eat and she reminded me it's her party. So, the most I can do is eat the filling from the sandwich and coleslaw. The least I can do is cave in and say *screw it*. I wanted to make meatballs in a crock pot w/sauce so I would have something but my DH has nixed it. He don't want me muling for this party like I usually do at parties. I would exhaust myself and not enjoy the party. Hmmm, maybe I stash some pork rinds and eat them from the basement. The adult drinks will be beer (ugh) and wine. I bought a low carb margarita pre-mix from Netrition a week ago and I have that stashed. I'll have to buy Tequila next week. I got that covered!. I understand, Donna, the problems of sticking to a diet when there's social events that come up. I have a couple coming next week.

Well, my plans to go the the gym todayhave been twarted. I'll just go on Tuesday as planned. Lifting weights and swimming are off limits for a couple of days.

Will check back later. It'll be a lazy, dazy day at home. Beautiful weather. I think I'll read out back and soak up some rays.

Last edited by BlueTopaz; 05-31-2009 at 08:50 AM..
Old 05-31-2009, 09:36 AM   #847
Senior LCF Member

I just ordered a set of Jillian Michaels DVDs today from Amazon. Her workouts are killers - but she knows what she is doing.

Jillian Michaels - "30 Day Shred"
Jillian Michaels: "No More Trouble Zones"
Jillian Michaels: "Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism"

I agree with the Blood Type theory. I think I can switch to chick and tofu and stay on track with Adkins until I get a handle on the carb levels. The body changes were so much better when I lost weight with Adkins versus low fat.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:07 AM   #848
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I just ordered a set of Jillian Michaels DVDs today from Amazon. Her workouts are killers - but she knows what she is doing.

Jillian Michaels - "30 Day Shred"
Jillian Michaels: "No More Trouble Zones"
Jillian Michaels: "Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism"

I agree with the Blood Type theory. I think I can switch to chick and tofu and stay on track with Adkins until I get a handle on the carb levels. The body changes were so much better when I lost weight with Adkins versus low fat.
[COLOR="Blue"]Jillian is kick butt for sure. Not for people that were sedenary for years and then jumps in to do her stuff as in me. It would be interesting if after going to the gym and getting my strength back, that I try her DVD again that I to see if they are easier and do able for me.

Yeah, I think that's a good plan for you Annette and see how it goes. It's all about trying to do better and still having your comfort zone. That puts a positive aspect to reaching your weight loss goal. Remember, the journey is just as important as the destination. Once we reach our goal, we need to set another one up or else we'll become stagnate and have no incentive.
[/COLOR]
Old 05-31-2009, 10:25 AM   #849
Major LCF Poster!

Just got reminded of a song I'm sure all of you are too young to remember, but I will paraphrase it:
"Its' my party, and I'll carb if I want to...."

Did my toning, all the food is done or in process, and the kithchen's a mess. After a three egg omelet and 3 slices of uncured bacon, I'm hungry! Perfect day here, too, and I have a good book. Ahhhhh....

When I look at my chart over two months, I see that my cals are in the 1650 range, fats 50%, carbs 5% (average of 22). protein 27% and (whoops) alcohol 14%. When I go off the wagon it is never for more than a day, and I always go back on the next day. But the numbers don't lie.

DH just says, "it's not working for you anymore", but doesn't really say anything about it. He told me yesterday I had a "nice butt for an old broad..."

Going to the Dr. is something that I just don't get around to...I hate making appts. and finding a new guy, although I will probably go to DH's. I go to my gyno yearly-after many years without going, and see the dentist twice a year. It's just the initial calling up and saying what I want to do. Odd, i know.

Annette-Andrew Weil-where do I know that name from?? Let us know how badly Jillian works you...

Last edited by Scotty; 05-31-2009 at 10:27 AM..
Old 06-01-2009, 03:44 AM   #850
Major LCF Poster!

Wouild someone please explain this to me??? After a day of 1475 cals; 69% fat; 2% carbs and 30% protein I am UPPPPP almost a pound to 158.4!!! What kind of excuse can we come up with for this??? EXERCISE??
Old 06-01-2009, 05:45 AM   #851
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Wouild someone please explain this to me??? After a day of 1475 cals; 69% fat; 2% carbs and 30% protein I am UPPPPP almost a pound to 158.4!!! What kind of excuse can we come up with for this??? EXERCISE??
I'm re-reading my book on the Metabolism Miracle. It's about people that find it difficult to lose on any diet. All the diets out there are geared for normal metabolisms (A type) but they don't work if you are Metabolism B.

Metabolism B has been known in the medical community for years but nobody came up with anything to deal with it and the USDA Food Pyramid won't be changed anytime soon - but it is NOT for Met. B's - in fact it will make you gain weight and may cause diseease i.e, fibromyalgia, Diabetes, High Cholesteral, Heart Diseease etc.

There is a Q + A to tell if you are or not. It even lists typical eating habits and examples of people that have had it and walked in the authors office with their hands up in the air!

This WOE is to correct how your body reacts to carbs. There's even tweaks for those that have insulin issues, throid issues so it covers everything that I'm telling you to go to the doctor to test for.

If you want to try this because it's obvious that what you're doing is not working, the book is: The Metabolism Miracle - 3 easy steps to regain control of your weight permanently by Diane Kress.

You will think you die and went to heaven with the amount of carbs you are allowed. 8 weeks of Phase I - 5 carbs - every 5 hours and alot of foods that actually has carbs she doesn't count. Phase II - 11-20g every 5 hrs - 8 weeks and Phase III - 30-35% of your calories from carb foods - maintenance. By Phase III - your metabolism is now healed. There is a chart in the book for a basis of daily carbs. For Age 60 - 70 - Sedentary - 9 1/2 servings per day. In the book, she tells you what she considers a serving. Seems hard to believe but she is all about HEALING the way your body handles carbs and with just Low Carb Diets in general, what happens is that when you consume too many carbs, your weight goes up like crazy.

This WOE is to stop that from happening. Alchohol is not prohibited either. In fact, by Phase III - nothing is. It's about controlling your carb intake and eating more often and making sure you have a certain amount of carbs every 5 hrs which is when the insulin kicks in and results in having excess that goes into your fat cells. If you have a sluggish thyroid, this WOE will work too.

The downside is that you should be eating low fat dairy and lean meats because why add extra fat for your metabolism to burn off when you really want your metabolism to burn off the old stuff. Makes sense.

If you are hestitant about making a doc appt, then get the book and try it. It'll get you out of the diet rut that frustrates you every day.

When I re-read the book, I'm going to try it. But still incorporate the 62 grams of protein with Protein Power. It's all about tweaking your way of eating for YOUR body. Get the book from the library or buy it, when you read it, you'll feel better
Old 06-01-2009, 06:00 AM   #852
Major LCF Poster!

I lost nicely on Atkins before, just keeping the carbs low, not doing strict induction-i.e. lc breads and whatever I wanted as long as the carbs were low. I didn't pay too much attention to cals. Of course, I was ex. every day.

I lost slowly and steadily on WW-about a pound a week-sometimes more.

I DON'T think I am a carb addict and don't really have any cravings as such, although I really enjoy bread when I have it....I had been thinking of upping my carbs till I saw this result this morning-I'm scared to do anything!

I'll see if that book is at the library or can get it cheap. Just looked at the symptons and I think, in general, I don't have them, other than the fact that they are very general....and if I am already on low carbs, what will change?

Last edited by Scotty; 06-01-2009 at 06:49 AM..
Old 06-01-2009, 06:29 AM   #853
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Donna,
I considered you my low carb buddy and I hate to see you like this.

Do you remember after 1 month of Atkins 2002 Induction and only losing 2 lbs, I got on the phone with my doc and said I'm doing low carb and not losing much and I want a full blown battery tests and a physical and a ACCURATE thyroid test? Then I went on Atkins 72 and lost 6 lbs in a week and then not moving the scale for 2-3 lbs up and down?

Well, although I am not technically diabetic - there is certainly a 50% change of me getting it. When I look at my lab reports, it is scary. My thryoid test were ok so that was a load off my mind. I do realize that my insulin is unbalanced and has been since my 20's when I get hungry like a bear.

1) My glucose is only 10 pts away from being diabetic.
2) My cholesteral is at 213 total - and I am on Zocar! A cholesteral problem is a pre-cursor to diabetes. As a side note, my cholesteral was at 260 in my 20's! Back then, my HDL was so high, the doc's didn't worry. But when I hit my 40's - my HDL went down and my total cholesteral stayed at 260. Then, I had to take a statin.
3) 2 years ago, I had hypertension and was on blood pressure meds for 6 months until I dieted and then the doc said my blood pressure was too low and he took me off them.
4) Under this WOE, I will probably be taken off the statin meds.
5) You don't have to be diabetic or heavy to have an insulin imbalance. If you even have a slight imbalance, you will gain weight and not be able to get it off with traditional diets and the thing is, IT WON'T BE A RED FLAG ON YOUR GLUCOSE TESTS for your doc to say anything. But get the test sent to you and see the reading for yourself like I did. 10 pts away from Diabetes II is a RED FLAG for me. That is very telling that my insulin is overactive.

You can start off with Metabolism A - and then life's triggers such as pregnancy, stress, hormones, aging will change it over to Met B.

That is why in the past, diets worked for me - and now traditional dieting doesn't.

Metabolism B's do not do well on low calorie diets. In fact, it is imperative that you eat when you are hungry and calories don't count.

She discourages Met B from looking at the scale for 8 weeks because Met B's have a history of their weight going up and down by the way the wind blows.
She wants you to wait 8 weeks to weight yourself but you will want to measure yourself because the fat will melt.

Like I said, I haven't tried it so I can't talk from experience but I sure would like to be able to incorporate ALL foods eventually and get my metabolism in good working order. The diet is not as restrictive and from being low carb, it's a little scary. When you do Atkins for a while, you do get paranoid when you think about eating more carbs. But I had been following the Protein Power and making it 10 carbs per large meal and it did NOT make me gain.

What do you think?
Old 06-01-2009, 07:58 AM   #854
Major LCF Poster!

Dear "Buddy"

I guess I just don't have the answers and won't until I find out where I stand medically. Of course I am disappointed, but it's not like I am going to binge out or anything-I wouldn't do that. BUT I can't think of anything more I can do on Atkins. I think I need to give myself a few more days of clean living and ex-let the muscles get used to it, etc. My stik is absolutely white and has been all along for a long time....

I must say I hate the idea of learning yet another set of rules and changing around the pantry yet again...

I think finding a way to eat often will be difficult for me.

Last edited by Scotty; 06-01-2009 at 08:19 AM..
Old 06-01-2009, 11:14 AM   #855
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

The pantry wouldn't need to be changed much - just lean meat and cheese.

Learning another WOE is another story. Eating more often means to me to have string cheese and almonds (free food) at work and eating at mid afternoon 3 hrs before supper. I get sluggish around 3:00 and don't eat till 6:00 most nights. So 3:00 snack time and 9:00 p.m. snack time and maybe 12:00 midnight snack time if I'm awake (usually I am).

But you need to do what feels right to you. I have run out of things for you to try. Perhaps the excercise will kick your metabolism up and it will solve itself without dieting or doctor lab results. I hope so.

Today I had a pecan protein muffin for breakfast, chicken paprikish - brussel sprouts for lunch - supper ?
Old 06-01-2009, 01:32 PM   #856
Major LCF Poster!

Muffin sounds good-recipe?

I have a turkey in the oven that DH is basting for me-he says it isn't very brown yet-it only has about another hour. And of course the skin is the whole reason for eating turkey!
Old 06-01-2009, 02:56 PM   #857
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Muffin sounds good-recipe?

I have a turkey in the oven that DH is basting for me-he says it isn't very brown yet-it only has about another hour. And of course the skin is the whole reason for eating turkey!
[COLOR="Blue"]Ummmm, can I come over for dinner tonight?
I love turkey w/skin too- I could make a meal of just the skin with gravy! I actually found a skinless turkey tenderloin that's in the freezer now that I've got to make soon. My freezer is so full of meats and the fridge so filled with condiments that I must make room for the upcoming party this Sunday. I'll have (5) 3-ft long sandwiches, 6 lbs potato salad and 4 lbs of coleslaw to put in. The freezer isn't the biggest issue but the fridge has got to get more empty before then.

Right now, I'm making my daughter's birthday cake for her birthday tomorrow - Peanut Butter Tandy Cakes. I'll need to make room in the freezer to harden the peanut butter before I put the melted Hersey Bars on top.[/COLOR]

Pecan Pie Protein Muffins - 5g carbs, 2g fiber, 3g net carbs

2/3 cup butter, softened
2 eggs
1 teas vanilla
3/4 cup granular Splenda *
1/4 cup Brown Sugar Diabetisweet*
1/2 cup Carbquik (you could probably use Carbalose Flour)
2 Tablespoons of toasted Wheat Germ - I used Kerschners in the cereal isle.
1 cup finely chopped pecans

* If you don't have Brown Sugar Diabetisweet, you can substitute by 1 cup granulated Splenda and 1/2 teas. Blackstrap Molasses

In a medium bown, whisk the butter, eggs, vanilla and sweetners. Whisk in the Carbquik until a smooth batter forms. Stir in the pecans. Spoon into 12 greased or paper lined muffin tins and bake at 350 for 20 mins or until golden brown. The toothpick test will not work for these. They won't rise much but they are good. Can be frozen.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:08 PM   #858
Major LCF Poster!

Maybe someday I will be eating muffins again...thanks. I still am waiting until I think I can have that coconut cake/bread.

Sounds like a nice birthday meal. I won't ask for the tandycakes recipe-I'm afraid...

8:03 and I am done-let's see what tomorrow brings.
Did my upper body toning-tomorrow will be Pilates. It will be hard until my muscles aren't hurting. Funny, I can do the Pilates easier the first time than the third time. Don't know why.

Cals low today and I feel full. I hope I calculated them correctly.
cals 1231, but I might possibly have a bit of diet jello/cream. I had a tiny taste of ice cream, probably about a tablespoon
fat 53%
carbs 3%
protein 44% 126.5 gms
Old 06-01-2009, 05:22 PM   #859
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: positiveone
Stats: 148/143/125
WOE: LC
Start Date: April 20, 2011
I would love to join in. I sure would like to lose 15 pounds! I am starting tomorrow....why do I always say tomorrow? I really mean it this time. I'm getting married Aug. 1.........so I'm serious about it.
I can't find my Atkin's book, but am going to check one out of the library tomorrow!
Thanks for everyone's help!
Connie
positiveone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:10 PM   #860
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by positiveone View Post
I would love to join in. I sure would like to lose 15 pounds! I am starting tomorrow....why do I always say tomorrow? I really mean it this time. I'm getting married Aug. 1.........so I'm serious about it.
I can't find my Atkin's book, but am going to check one out of the library tomorrow!
Thanks for everyone's help!
Connie
Welcome Connie to this thread. Congrats on your upcoming wedding!

Tell us your story, your triumphs, your obstacles and what WOE's you tried before this one or if this WOE is a repeat.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:23 AM   #861
Major LCF Poster!

Glad you're here, Connie-tell us about yourself.

I was rewarded with my low cals/carbs and ex. by another half pound gain. If it weren't so frustrating it would be funny. In two months I have had a net loss of .5 pound....

Last edited by Scotty; 06-02-2009 at 04:38 AM..
Old 06-02-2009, 09:11 AM   #862
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Donna,

I sent you a private message last night. Did you get it?

Are you up .5 lb or down .5 lb?

Measure yourself because muscle weighs more than fat and you have been exercising.

I am going to the gym tonight after work and working the lower body and core. This TOM time makes me look like a water balloon. Took a double dose of magnesium last night to blow it out (sorry, TMI)
Old 06-02-2009, 09:22 AM   #863
Major LCF Poster!

Linda, I didn't get it, but I just replied. I am UP .5 overnight.

Last edited by Scotty; 06-02-2009 at 09:24 AM..
Old 06-03-2009, 04:26 AM   #864
Major LCF Poster!

Had a two pound whoosh last night and am back down to only one pound MORE than I was 4/18 and back to where I was 5/30....stick is now not white, but shows "none"...

Had two nice lamb chops yest. for dinner which I marinated in rosemary, olive oil, lemon juice and garlic and then grilled. Good but high cals. Also had some of my beloved fennel. Yum. First veg I've had in I don't know how long-been doing virtually 0 carbs.

Did Pilates and boy does that raise a sweat and leave me out of breath! Tonight I might do lower body toning or maybe all over. I still ache a bit.

cals 1526
fat 68%
carbs 2%
protein 30%-107.7 gms

Linda, am I way high on the protein??
Old 06-03-2009, 06:44 AM   #865
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Donna,
Congrats on the whoosh! Good girl for EXERCISING! I'm sooooo proud of you! Waiting for the WHOOSH to happen from the 3 lb TOM gain TOM but it's still at 142.

Went to the gym last night and started out with warm up for a few minutes on the eclipical - to get my heartbeat at 120 but I get on there and it's 147! Must have been from the 30 mile commute home from work. Driving tends to raise my blood pressure. So, I moved over to the stretch area and did some things on this chair that goes backwards and did some core and hamstring warm ups and moved right into the core and leg machines and working it until I my muscles wouldn't budge and then switch machines and went back and re-did the machines like the trainer's do with you. The last step I was going to try doing more eclipitical but I thought my legs were stressed enough and went on the tread mill. I could not believe how good it felt just to walk briskly and in rhythm - another muscle group.

What a difference from 4 yrs ago when I had acid reflux and the 1st 2 min, it felt that I was having a heart attack and could barely push myself to do 20 mins. Last night I did 15 min no problem and could have done more but my heart beat was 113 doing brisk walking so I thought I may as use this time to cool down before going home. Funny how much lower my heart rate was at the end of my exercise night compared to when I first came in.

I noticed my scale read a lowering of the fat percentage from 34 to 30 just over night and my bone density went up from 4-6 to 5.0!

My thigh muscles feel a little sore but that's good. The trainer said when you work out at the gym - you should always feel a "ltitle" sore. That means that you're muscles are in "repair" - which means they are building up. When you exercise, the idea is to tear them a little - break them down. When they build up, they get bigger and stronger.

I showered at the gym and came home and waited for my daughter to get home from her birthday dinner with her friends. I got the Peanut Butter Tandy Sheet cake and we sang and gave her a GPS system for a gift. I had a 3 bite piece and let it go. I figured I deserved it from the work out. For supper I had a Tuna salad on a salad at Subway. Lunch was Salsbury steak, pepper cabbage and cottage cheese. Breakfast was a few almonds - not hungry and snack last night was about 6 slices of cheese.

Woke up late today and gotta get moving. Talk to you girls later!
Old 06-03-2009, 10:29 AM   #866
Major LCF Poster!

Linda, glad your gym experience is working. I am thinking about joining our local HealthTrax, but it's kinda expensive. Wish I could join month by month, or just as a trial to see if I would actually go. I remember when my year's contract was up with Curves, I felt like i was being let out of prison!
Old 06-03-2009, 04:26 PM   #867
Major LCF Poster!

Where is everyone??

I did lower body toning tonight. I think doing different things every day is better for me, although I do think my Pilates workout is the best all around, and I sure do sweat and pant. What will tomorrow bring? Perhaps a pink stik and some more actual weight lost??

DH wants to go to a Greek festival this weekend ARRGGHHH!

I am done... a good day, and I feel satisfied, but I am still wondering if my protein is too high...

cals 1310
fat 59%
carbs 3%-8.9 gross
protein 38% 117.2 gms

Had a nice big salmon filet-9oz cooked and ate every bit- with dill sour cream to dip it in, with some more fennel. Good eats!
Old 06-03-2009, 06:33 PM   #868
Senior LCF Member

You gals are rockin' the exercise!

What's the name of that book about teaching your body how to handle carbs? I'd be interested in reading that.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:35 AM   #869
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
You gals are rockin' the exercise!

What's the name of that book about teaching your body how to handle carbs? I'd be interested in reading that.

It's called The Metabolism Miracle by Diane Kress. It came out recently. You would probably like it alot Annette. It's to CORRECT the way your body handles carbs so by the time you are in Phase III - no food is forbidden and she tells you how many servings of carbs you should have each day. The 1st part of the book is a questionaire to see if you are Metabolic B (not processing carbs correctly - i.e, gain weight on carbs). I definitely fit the category - have a imbalanced insulin response. She says that that's why traditional low calorie, low fat diets don't work for Met. B's.

Phase I is limited carbs: 5 grams every 5 hours - 8 weeks.
Phase II - I think 20 grams - 8 weeks
Phase III - it's higher carbs yet but limited to a certain number of servings per 5 hrs.
And you should eat a bite of something between meals so your insulin doesn't kick in and create fat cells.

I didn't officially start it - will next Tuesday when the social events are over and I can plan my meals and go grocery shopping. I don't have to revamp my food supply except to buy lower fat cheese. My fatty meats are ok but I have to trim the fat. But I am doing the 5 grams - at 1 main meal sitting and having either a low carb wrap (4 grams) or Pepperige Farm - CarbWise bread (5 g carbs per slice). I haven't been eating much breakfast this week - not hungry so that's why I can't say it's official.

Her recipes are good in the book as I've tried 1 or 2 and even though it has carbs technically - she doesn't count them on HER SYSTEM.

She says on food labels for carb count - subtract the fiber but not the sugar alcohols.

It is LEAN meat, lower fat dairy. Alcohol is permissable from day 1. 1 or 2 drinks a day. She'd rather you have wine or hard stuff than beer. My kind of woman!

With every diet, there are sacrifices but this one, doesn't seem to be bad at all. I'll try it to see. Since I'm exercising, I feel like I have some lead way. I admit, that when I read the book the 1st time and saw the carbs allowed, I got carb-phobia. It's funny how paranoid we get while being on very low carb for a while. Diane Kress says that carbs are not BAD at all - it's how your body is reacting to them that needs correction.

Also, the lean meat and lower fat reasoning is because while she wants you to exercise 30 min a day, she says why exercise the recent fat you've eaten when you could be burning off the OLD FAT. That makes sense.

Donna,
I've heard of Pilates but don't know what moves or procedure they are but it sounds good for you. Is it alot of stretching like yoga only with bands?

I encourage the gym for you and maybe find out if they can do the month to month because alot of gyms are doing that now. I never thought that LA Fitness would but they do and my old gym just started it. That's a win win situation. There is a psyhological perk to going to the gym in that you are seeing alot of people in the same boat as you and they are working it. Plus, I don't sweat in the gym. At the most on Tuesday, I was damp in back of my neck. The air is really cool and I crank on the fan on the treadmill and eclipical. I also like the sauna and whirlpool - I feel like I"m at the SPA pampering myself after a good workout.

The advantage I've found in the past and in the present is that when I do the weight machines - the fat melts fast! Build the muscle, burn the fat. My legs muscles are already starting to show! Plus my scale still shows I have 30% fat - instead of 34% fat - before the gym .... and I've only gone 4 X!
Old 06-04-2009, 06:24 AM   #870
Major LCF Poster!

Linda, I don't really know how to explain the Pilates I do, but it doesn't use weights or bands or anything. It's all on the floor with lots of ab work. Injured dancers use it a lot. I use "Pilates for Dummies".

Finding out what type you are-that's not the one you started with me, is it? I did a test here on the boards for metabolism, and I came out "mixed"...I don't really have cravings but I do enjoy some carbs. My library doesn't have the book so I think I will wait for the paperback. I'm sure I would be paranoid about the carbs, since I am barely losing on almost 0 carbs...

Down a whopping 2 tenths of a pound this morning and stix is barely in the "trace" color, and this is after a week of those extremely low carbs. in Atkins 72, he says you should be purple after about 3 days of induction and losing nicely. Yeah, right...