Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2009, 09:13 PM   #661
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AMonkey
Stats: 158/129/125
WOE: Organic Whole Foods
Start Date: October 2008
Hi! I can see your avatar. I should use my own picture too. I am the same way with projects, or fish, or whatever... I bought a few books this weekend and my husband immediately wondered what I was up to - and if there were truly only 3 books in my bag. I have been wiped out recently and amost blacked out on Sunday. Apparently I was dehydrated. The doctor prescribed a full blood panel, but suspects I may not be getting enough carbs. He too recommended South Beach. I haven't been losing weight, and have been in the 30 - 40 carb range, so I don't think it could be a lack of carbs. Maybe I need potassium. Even when I drink water it goes right through me. Anyway. I am in a size 6 EXCEPT for jeans (size 8). And it's my thighs!
AMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2009, 09:43 PM   #662
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BlueTopaz
Stats: 160/156/140
WOE: whatever works
Start Date: 10 years ago - Height 5' 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMonkey View Post
Hi! I can see your avatar. I should use my own picture too. I am the same way with projects, or fish, or whatever... I bought a few books this weekend and my husband immediately wondered what I was up to - and if there were truly only 3 books in my bag. I have been wiped out recently and amost blacked out on Sunday. Apparently I was dehydrated. The doctor prescribed a full blood panel, but suspects I may not be getting enough carbs. He too recommended South Beach. I haven't been losing weight, and have been in the 30 - 40 carb range, so I don't think it could be a lack of carbs. Maybe I need potassium. Even when I drink water it goes right through me. Anyway. I am in a size 6 EXCEPT for jeans (size 8). And it's my thighs!
Join the club. Seems like doctors are recommending South Beach. I sure hope it works for me. I have my doubts. I ate almost identical to South Beach while I was on the Blood Type diet. All heathy fruits, veggies, nuts, whole grain breads, meats and seafood and I did not lose a lb. But there was no limitations on quantities just the food types for your blood type. Since South Beach, my cravings and hunger are coming back. Now, though, TOM is coming this week so that'll make it harder. My tummy's been rounding out since Monday - simulating a pregnancy! NOT!

Sorry to hear about you almost blacking out. If you were doing straight Atkins 1972 Induction, I could see the dehydration - I get like that when I'm on Atkins but you aren't doing extreme. Please let me know the results of your tests.

Yeah, post a picture of yourself. I would love to see all these people I talk to. That goes for Donna too!
Old 04-29-2009, 11:25 AM   #663
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: mommy_gates
Stats: 170/149.2/143 (5'6"-57 years old)
WOE: Weight Watchers/T-tapp
Start Date: November 2013
Hi Girls/....You've been hard at work in food calculation....me i'm mostly trying to keep my carbs between 60-80 gr a day,...but some days it is hard ...mind you since starting T-Tapps i've lost 13.5 " and nothing much on the scale...they say to throw away that scale but i can't for now..been depending on it for years and they advise not to change your eating habit.....i still don't eat my chips on weekdays only on week-ends but the scale is not moving but the inches are falling..so which way is good.. i feel better in my clothes they are not as tight and i'm wearring a size 8 comfortably...so go figure

So let's have patience and courage and with time we'll get there heathy..

Have a great day

Gaets

Last edited by mommy_gates; 04-29-2009 at 11:27 AM..
mommy_gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 11:35 AM   #664
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy_gates View Post
Hi Girls/....You've been hard at work in food calculation....me i'm mostly trying to keep my carbs between 60-80 gr a day,...but some days it is hard ...mind you since starting T-Tapps i've lost 13.5 " and nothing much on the scale...they say to throw away that scale but i can't for now..been depending on it for years and they advise not to change your eating habit.....i still don't eat my chips on weekdays only on week-ends but the scale is not moving but the inches are falling..so which way is good.. i feel better in my clothes they are not as tight and i'm wearring a size 8 comfortably...so go figure

So let's have patience and courage and with time we'll get there heathy..

Have a great day

Gaets
Gaets,
With all your excercising, your muscles are building which weigh more than fat so that's why your scale is not moving much. You are losing fat which is showing up in your measurements. That's ultimately what we want - to lose fat. So, you are doing well!
BlueTopaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 01:25 PM   #665
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitedov1208 View Post
Gaets,
With all your excercising, your muscles are building which weigh more than fat so that's why your scale is not moving much. You are losing fat which is showing up in your measurements. That's ultimately what we want - to lose fat. So, you are doing well!

WOW,thanks for the info...you just made my day!!!

I guess i'll settle with lost in inches instead of the lost in scale...

Mind you i'm always sore all over even my forearm...how weird is that!!!

So i guess i am doing something right...after all this years..

my body fat went to 32% to 25% so i guess that's exactly what's going on...wow hopefully i'll be able to keep it up with the summer months ahead...

Thanks,

Gaets
Old 04-30-2009, 05:31 AM   #666
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Scotty
Stats: 174/160.9/140- 5' 7.5" born in 1946
WOE: Enjoying JUDDD's freedom after years of low carb
Start Date: Every day!!! JUDD start 1/13/12
Had a lot of protein yesterday-was hungry (had appetite???), but rest of stats were good; stix are absolutely white..I don't think I've lost any, but still afraid to weigh. No exercise...

cals 1739
fat 62%
carbs 1%-5.5 gross, most of which didn't come from veg (eggs, cheese, HC)
36% protein

Gaets, yes that's true about building muscle. Who cares about the pounds if the inches are going down. Remember what I read here on the board: "losing weight makes you look good in clothes, exercising makes you look good NEKKID!!!"

"If you're afraid of butter, add a little cream" Julia Child
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:31 AM   #667
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

[QUOTE=atkinsgoddess;11905260]Had a lot of protein yesterday-was hungry (had appetite???), but rest of stats were good; stix are absolutely white..I don't think I've lost any, but still afraid to weigh. No exercise...

cals 1739
fat 62%
carbs 1%-5.5 gross, most of which didn't come from veg (eggs, cheese, HC)
36% protein

QUOTE]

Donna: I have to wonder about those keto stik of yours. You have been real low in your carbs and high in fats which is perfect for ketosis.

Netrition offers some that are cheap. Where did you order yours? For what it's worth, my stik only showed up 1 notch into pink for about a minute. I did hear that some people's ketosis don't show up in stiks but they are in ketosis by other signs: breath, strong urine smell. That's how I knew something was going on.

TOM is coming this week and I am 2 lbs more. Got to excercise tonight and cut back on my eating. No more almond muffins this week! Yesterday I ate:

B: 2 cheese egg bakes, 2 bites of scrapple, V8
L: almond muffin, fresh mozz cheese on tomato w/olive oil, fat free/SF yogurt
S: restaurant: clams, mussels, 2 oz lobster, mushroom cheeseburger w/o roll, mix veg and coleslaw. 2 Manhattans - to clear out my chest from this bronchitis (mom's home remedy). I did feel better and fell asleep on lazy boy and had a good nights sleep but didn't exercise.

Since I"m on Phase 2 - I'm supposed to be able to eat a fruit and a whole grain something every day but the South Beach board told me to hold off until I lose my weight or else it won't happen. Now, what's up with that? I may as well be on Atkins only low fat. What is the advantage of South Beach if you can't eat anything but low fat meat, low fat dairy and veggies?

Husband and daughter was on me about the dieting thing. Husband keeps telling me I cannot stay on a diet forever. Makes me even more determined to stay on it.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:39 AM   #668
Major LCF Poster!

Linda, I got the stix here at Netrition-I've used them before, and sometimes they will be dark pink and sometimes white. I just don't know. My breath seems the same as usual, as does urine, or maybe I'm just not that observant...

Your menu sounds real good-Manhattan's were my family's drink of choice when I was growing up-on the few occasions when they drank. They always seemed so sophisticated, with the fancy glasses and maraschino cherries...but then when I had a taste....

But I agree with what you said, and that's why I decided to stay with Atkins. I may not be losing weight, but at least I am enjoying what I eat..
Old 04-30-2009, 07:45 AM   #669
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atkinsgoddess View Post
Linda, I got the stix here at Netrition-I've used them before, and sometimes they will be dark pink and sometimes white. I just don't know. My breath seems the same as usual, as does urine, or maybe I'm just not that observant...

Your menu sounds real good-Manhattan's were my family's drink of choice when I was growing up-on the few occasions when they drank. They always seemed so sophisticated, with the fancy glasses and maraschino cherries...but then when I had a taste....

But I agree with what you said, and that's why I decided to stay with Atkins. I may not be losing weight, but at least I am enjoying what I eat..
Have to admit, I do like the Manhattans - too much! I can't expect to lose much weight if I keep drinking though. Told bartender to leave out the cherry - like that really makes a difference!
Old 04-30-2009, 10:36 AM   #670
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Have to admit, I do like the Manhattans - too much! I can't expect to lose much weight if I keep drinking though. Told bartender to leave out the cherry - like that really makes a difference!

You are funny Linda...true so true leaving the cherries out won't help you...

Heard this saying yesterday..thought i would share

[COLOR="Magenta"]A CLEAN HOUSE IS A SIGN OF A WASTED LIFE.[/COLOR]

Have a great day!!!

Gaets
Old 04-30-2009, 10:47 AM   #671
Major LCF Poster!

A clean house is also a sign of a psychologically disturbed woman...
Old 04-30-2009, 10:56 AM   #672
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
You are funny Linda...true so true leaving the cherries out won't help you...

Heard this saying yesterday..thought i would share

[COLOR="Magenta"]A CLEAN HOUSE IS A SIGN OF A WASTED LIFE.[/COLOR]

Have a great day!!!

Gaets
Love that saying and I need to print this out to my DH that is a neat freak but expects me to do the muling! Donna: with your saying...I could blame my DH for driving me nutz!

Last edited by BlueTopaz; 04-30-2009 at 10:59 AM..
Old 04-30-2009, 11:43 AM   #673
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I put a bunch of pics on my computer that I'd like to share with you all.
This is Safi Sue my girl boxer.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:34 PM   #674
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I put a bunch of pics on my computer that I'd like to share with you all.
This is Safi Sue my girl boxer.
Nic pic there of you and your dog...had a dog at one time..bit my 2 year old on the ear...got rid of it..never gotten another one...and the kids didn't want one either...

Such a gloomy day here today....going for a snooze....later

Gaets
Old 04-30-2009, 05:40 PM   #675
Major LCF Poster!

Linda, I've never "known" any boxers, but I hear they are very sweet. I love dogs, but for right now, our beautiful cat Henry, is what we two empty nesters have.

The gal that works next to me got laid off today. She took it like a trooper-in fact she's been cleaning out her desk all week on a hunch, and she was just told today...stinks. When the rest of us gathered in the branch mgr's office, he started off with "this is part of my job that I hate, but Donna's position has been eliminated..."the girls said the color drained from my face. Turns out he had just gotten off the phone with his wife, also Donna...

It's so odd, I saw all the avatars, now, after posting, and then editing, I can't....

I guess I am done, since my cals are high again because of country ribs:

cals 1725
fat 67%
carbs 2%-8.5 gross
protein 31%

Will my stix be pink in the morning??? Tune in tomorrow and find out!

Last edited by Scotty; 04-30-2009 at 05:42 PM..
Old 05-01-2009, 05:21 AM   #676
Major LCF Poster!

I have been absolutely '72 OP since Monday-see stats below (OP Sunday except for the vodka...) my stix is white, and I weigh exactly what I did a week ago. Now, I don't know what I weighed after I went OFF P, but here I am...

And how are the rest of you doing??

Last edited by Scotty; 05-01-2009 at 05:22 AM..
Old 05-01-2009, 05:48 AM   #677
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Nic pic there of you and your dog...had a dog at one time..bit my 2 year old on the ear...got rid of it..never gotten another one...and the kids didn't want one either...

Such a gloomy day here today....going for a snooze....later

Gaets
Gaets,
Wow, too bad about your dog biting your 2 yr old's ear! What breed was it?

I grew up with 2 mutts, got married and we bought a Doberman, then she died and got a Boxer but she had such bad allergies and was lethargic, she died at 9 yrs old and then we got this one - has allergies but is energetic yet the most cuddly dog and so smart. She has chosen me to be her favorite. The other 2 dogs were my husband's dogs. But none of my dogs were ever mean. That's a shame because I can see how it would deter you from ever wanting another one.

Safi has saved my butt a couple of times from oversleeping. Promptly, every morniing when the alarm goes off, I shut it off, she comes up and nudges me with her cold, wet nose. Then, I say "just a little bit longer and I'll get up". She lays down and 15 mins later, she nudges me again! This could go on for hours but she doesn't give up. She's like a canine snooze button on my alarm clock!
Old 05-01-2009, 06:03 AM   #678
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I have been absolutely '72 OP since Monday-see stats below (OP Sunday except for the vodka...) my stix is white, and I weigh exactly what I did a week ago. Now, I don't know what I weighed after I went OFF P, but here I am...

And how are the rest of you doing??
I can't believe the stix is white yet! Do you drink regular coffee? I believe on another post on Atkins 72 thread that coffee can prevent ketosis. That would explain it for me. I drink too much coffee - regular in the morning and decaf in the afternoon and not enough water! If I can find the text where I read a list of things from Atkins 72 that Dr. A says can deter ketosis, I'll copy and paste here.

I weighed in and still 2 lbs up. Tom is near and cravings are up. Last night after work, I stopped in my DH's favorite candy shop and got him a lb of chocolate candies and got myself a box of Sugar Free! They look just as good as the regular. Only had 3 pieces because DH was watching. I went to bed hungry. I'm still on Benedryl, Alburterol (inhaler) and Robutussin w/codeine. I am going to bed early these nights and getting up early for now anyway. Safi likes it! She doesn't have to work so hard to get me out of bed!

Yesterday's Stats:
B: Instant Folgers - black
L: Cod and salad
Snack: Atkins morning break bar
S: Cheeseburger on grill w/small salad and 1 cup snap peas
Later: 3 pieces of Billy's chocolates

I am going to have to go back to doing ******. I'm not seeing any improvement so far on the Beach.

To avoid my daughter and husband getting on my case, if I go back on Atkins, I'll do it quietly. They are relentless and I'm very annoyed.

The other morning my daughter attacked me for eating eggs and a couple of bites of scrapple for breakfast. (because of high cholesteral and I'm on cholesteral meds) Mike agreed with her. However, yesterday morning I caught her eating my low carb pizza for breakfast! Gimme a break! She was quick to say, I know Mom, pizza in the morning..." I replied "I'm not saying A WORD". Remember, she's the one that had 1 semester of Nutrition and she's the expert!
Old 05-01-2009, 07:13 AM   #679
Major LCF Poster!

Linda, i have one cup of decaf with 1T HC and one packet Splenda. I've actually only started having the coffee the last couple months. Once in a great while I will have two, but that is very unusual. The next thing I will cut out is cheese, but I have 20z tops usually a day. I drink a fair amount of water, (I'm up twice a night) but probably not 2 quarts.

So cute about your dog!

This illness seems to be hanging on-I think you need a hot toddy, for medicinal purposes.

Last edited by Scotty; 05-01-2009 at 07:15 AM..
Old 05-01-2009, 07:26 AM   #680
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Linda, i have one cup of decaf with 1T HC and one packet Splenda. I've actually only started having the coffee the last couple months. Once in a great while I will have two, but that is very unusual. The next thing I will cut out is cheese, but I have 20z tops usually a day. I drink a fair amount of water, (I'm up twice a night) but probably not 2 quarts.

So cute about your dog!

This illness seems to be hanging on-I think you need a hot toddy, for medicinal purposes.
Yeah, I didn't think you were a big coffee drinker. Try the cheese hiatus then. Some people say cheese stalls them. I would find it hard not to have cheese but it does have alot of salt too which could cause water retention. I started ****** today. My breakfast was:

B: 2 eggs scrambled with 1 T green bell pepper, 1 T onion, 2 drops of Frank's hot sauce, 1 slice of low fat white american cheese, fried in 1 teas. olive oil.
About 315 calories and 2 carbs.

Dinner is going to be the killer here. Indian food is not low fat. They use yogurt which HAS TO BE low fat, SF to be pure on South Beach. Their chutneys are sugar but I'll avoid that. But I love their flat breads! I may get their chickpea coated veggies - deep fried. DH is going to get that too as a appetizer. At least the flour they use is ok with South Beach cuz I'm supposed to have beans. Deep fried - is a stretch.

The hot toddie sounds grand! I don't have burbon or whiskey at home. This Indian Restaurant doesn't serve alcohol.

Feel like saying "screw it" for tonight!

Did you ever get the George Stella cookbook?
Old 05-01-2009, 07:51 AM   #681
Major LCF Poster!

2 ounces, not 20!!! That hardly seems like it would do it...that small amount...

Yes, I got the cookbook, and I made the goldfish, but I like them better in the microwave.

I've been known to make a hot toddy with vodka; hot water, splenda, butter, nutmeg. YUM!!!!!

Last edited by Scotty; 05-01-2009 at 08:09 AM..
Old 05-01-2009, 09:34 AM   #682
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
2 ounces, not 20!!! That hardly seems like it would do it...that small amount...

Yes, I got the cookbook, and I made the goldfish, but I like them better in the microwave.

I've been known to make a hot toddy with vodka; hot water, splenda, butter, nutmeg. YUM!!!!!
I was wondering about 20 oz. 2 oz. shouldn't be a deterrent. I could not find that posting of reasons of not being in Ketosis. I guess I could try the goldfish with low fat cheese - yummm- o - no.

I bought burbon on my way to work thinking of your recommendation. Don't say I don't listen to you! I guess I can warm it w/lemon and Splenda and water. But...I would rather have a Manhattan!
Old 05-01-2009, 09:45 AM   #683
Major LCF Poster!

Booze is booze! Anything to calm your chest and help you sleep!
Old 05-01-2009, 01:38 PM   #684
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Okay, per Dr. Donna's instructions, I have had my Manhattan here at work. Slowing down on a Friday afternoon w/boss. No congestion in my chest. No pain! LOL!

Must leave for home in 15 mins. then Indian Restaurant. I'm at 16 grams of carbs already! Lunch: Tuna salad on a salad w/romaine, tomatoes, greek gazebo dressing.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:55 PM   #685
Major LCF Poster!

Linda, glad the medicine worked..
I succumbed to the Friday syndrome and had wine....8 oz of chicken breast with a wine/cream sauce...

cals 1725
fat 35%
carbs 5% 24 gross-ooops
31% protein
29% alcohol....sauvignon blanc...yum...

I know I am defeating myself. Difficult in this environment...
Old 05-02-2009, 07:23 AM   #686
Major LCF Poster!

"I feel like us woman try our damnest to keep ourselves looking good and it's like we're against all odds. If you don't have age and hormones against you, it's meds we have to take that cause weight gain. It's sickening. I don't see men working all that hard. All they have to do is shave, shower and comb their hair and they're good to go. They don't care much about how they look and we women feel pressured to keep them interested in us. Not fair."

Linda, that is so true! All a man has to do is put on a tux and he looks great! Look what we go through for those fancy times! When DH wants to lose a few pounds he just has a couple salads and cuts out the ice cream and voila!

I am down .4 to 158-that always seems to happen when I drink-didn't do stix...today I get my hair rehabilitated and then to a performance of "Ramona Quimby", which the daughter of one of my brokers has a featured part in. Then, unfortunately, no mint juleps...

Did that calculation using sedentary and 15 and 18 carbs-to lose weight I need 112 grams of protein, BUT ONLY 1100 CALORIES!!! I don't think I can do that...

Last edited by Scotty; 05-02-2009 at 07:28 AM..
Old 05-02-2009, 07:42 AM   #687
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Did that calculation using sedentary and 15 and 18 carbs-to lose weight I need 112 grams of protein, BUT ONLY 1100 CALORIES!!! I don't think I can do that...
Wait! What numbers did you use to fill it out? 1100 calories seems too low especially with 15-18 g carbs.

For me it's:

67"
141 lbs
49 yrs old
Sedentary w/metabolic advantage

I did read it again...it's a little contradicting. At first it talks about not having enough protein can cause muscle loss but then further down it talks about too much protein causing stalls.

Not sure how you eat the protein they recommend without adding calories. Even the whey protein powder (I just made myself w/coffee) has 80 calories per 1/4 cup. 2.2 carbs.

I do know that when I was doing Atkins 72 - and losing weight, my muscles were shrinking. I could feel it and when I took Safi for a walk - I felt like it was an effort to walk up a hill! Maybe the exercise would build them but I would wonder if the energy needed to excercise would burn more muscle.

It's like it'll take years and years to figure out what the right combination of foods is right for me individually. By then, I'll be 80 yrs old and won't give a _______!
Old 05-02-2009, 11:02 AM   #688
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Another Study Proving Low Carb WOE works!

A lengthy article - you may want to print this out and post it on your refridgerator for family to see (namely my family )

From WebMd:

Low-Carb, Low-Fat Diets Get Similar Results
Long-term Study Shows Low-Carb Diets May Have Health Benefits
By Jeanie Lerche Davis
WebMD Health NewsReviewed by Charlotte E. Grayson Mathis, MDMay 17, 2004 -- Are you cutting carbs to lose weight? You're on the right path -- as long as you stick to it.

Two studies, published this week in the Annals of Internal Medicine, provide much-needed scientific evidence about low-carb diets and provide interesting insights into what types of diets work --and why.

"We can no longer dismiss the very low-carbohydrate diets," writes Walter C. Willett, MD, DrPH, with Harvard School of Public Health, in an accompanying editorial. "Dr. Atkins deserves credit for his observations that many persons can control their weight by greatly reducing carbohydrate intake."

Indeed, low-carb plans -- like the popular Atkins and South Beach diets -- have gained great popularity over recent years. Yet there is "a paucity of scientific evidence on their effectiveness," writes researcher William S. Yancy, Jr., MD, MHS, who is a professor of Medicine at Duke University Medical Center.

Yancy's six-month study pits a low-fat diet against a low-carb program -- finding that low-carb indeed works.

But the story doesn't end there. It seems that six months into a low-carb program, the dramatic weight loss ends abruptly. That's what researcher Frederick F. Samaha, MD, found in his year-long study of low-carb vs. low-fat diets. In fact, the low-carb and low-fat groups ended up getting similar weight-loss results.

The voice of reason from one nutritionist: Cutting back on food is what works. "There are many different paths to weight loss," says Sheah Rarback, RD, MS, RD/LD, of the University of Miami School of Medicine and spokeswoman for the American Dietetic Association.

"Whether you choose the low-fat or low-carb path, you must find a plan that works for you -- one that you can stick with, and that includes healthy foods," she tells WebMD. "Cutting back on sugar, refined flour, and white flour, that's what's important."

The details on the two studies:

Low-Carb vs. Low-Fat: A Six-Month Study
In his study -- funded by the Robert C. Atkins Foundation -- Yancy enrolled 120 overweight adults, all of whom had high cholesterol:

One-half followed a low-carb diet -- restricting intake to less than 20 grams of carbs daily.
The other half had a low-fat diet -- total fat less than 30% of calories, saturated fat less than 10% of calories, cholesterol intake less than 300 milligrams -- plus cutting calorie intake by 500 to 1,000 calories.
All were advised to exercise three times weekly, drink lots of water, and keep a "food diary" tracking their eating pattern.

At the end of six months: "People lost more weight -- an average of 26 pounds -- on the low-carb diet, compared with 14 pounds on the low-fat diet," William S. Yancy, Jr., MD, MHS, professor of medicine at Duke University Medical Center, tells WebMD. "That's a pretty dramatic weight loss in six months."

Long-term Study Shows Low-Carb Diets May Have Health Benefits(continued)
Low-Carb vs. Low-Fat: A Six-Month Study continued...

The low-carb group had a 13% weight loss compared with 7% in the low-fat group.
The low-carb group lost 6% body fat compared with 5% in the low-fat group.
The low-carb group had better triglycerides and HDL "good" cholesterol levels.
Both groups had only small changes in LDL "bad" cholesterol.

Weight loss in both groups resulted mostly from cutting calories -- even though the diets were quite different, writes Yancy. The biggest concern about a low-carb diet, which is usually higher in animal fats and cheeses, is whether LDL "bad" cholesterol will get worse. However, that did not happen overall in this study, he reports.

Also, fewer people dropped out of the low-carb group, he notes. "A lot of people say it's hard to stick to the low-carb diet. But it's hard for people to stick to any diet," Yancy tells WebMD. "With all the low-carb products coming out -- and with restaurants making changes, too -- it should be easier for people to stay on a low-carb diet."

However, those low-carb products are "a double edged sword," he admits. "If people end up eating more calories during the day, they won't lose weight. It's an important part of the formula -- cutting back on calories."

Low-Carb vs. Conventional Diet: A One-Year Study

Samaha's one-year study is the largest and longest to date looking at low-carb diets, he writes.

In a previous study, his group of researchers showed that severely obese people following a low-carb diet for six months lost more weight -- and had greater improvements in triglyceride, blood sugar, and insulin levels -- than volunteers following a conventional low-calorie, low-fat diet. Samaha is a researcher with the Philadelphia Veterans Affairs Medical Center.

His current study builds on that research -- showing weight-loss results over the long-term.

The volunteers were 132 severely overweight patients; 83% had diabetes or were pre-diabetic (had borderline high blood sugar levels). They were assigned to follow either a low-carb (less than 30 grams per day) or a conventional calorie-cutting diet (cutting calories by 500 a day, with less than 30% of calories from fat).

At the end of one year:

The low-carb group had a dramatic weight loss in six months and was able to maintain most of that weight loss over the course of the year.
The low-fat group had a slower, steadier weight loss that continued through the year.
Both groups had similar amount of total weight loss -- 11 pounds to 19 pounds in the low-carb and 7 pounds to 19 pounds in the low-fat group.

Also:

Both groups had similar total and LDL cholesterol levels.
The low-carb group had improved triglycerides.
The conventional group had worse HDL levels.

Bottom line: The low-carb group had a direct improvement in triglyceride, HDL cholesterol, and blood sugar control in the volunteers with diabetes, he writes.

Low-Carb vs. Conventional Diet: A One-Year Study continued...

His study is limited, he notes, by the high numbers of people who dropped out. Also, most people did not stick closely to the diets.

"People who have problems with triglycerides, HDL, and blood sugar control are probably overeating carbohydrates," Samaha tells WebMD. "Cut carbs, and you'll see improvements."
Old 05-02-2009, 03:10 PM   #689
Major LCF Poster!

I don't know what metabolic advantage is, but I don't think I have it!!!

Healthy Nutrient Levels for Your Ketogenic Low Carb Diet
Your Height: 67.5 inches

Your Current Weight: 158 pounds

Your Age: 62

Your Gender: Female

Your Activity Level: Sedentary with Metabolic Advantage

Your Calculated Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR): 1,318

Activity Factor Used to Compute Activity Calories from BMR: 1.43
TO MAINTAIN YOUR CURRENT WEIGHT:

[COLOR="Red"]To maintain your body weight eat 1,885 calories.[/COLOR]

You have decided to eat 15 grams of carbohydrate a day.

To avoid loss of muscle mass you must eat 117 grams of high quality protein each day. This can be found in 19.5 ounces of meat, eggs, or hard cheese.

Round out your diet with 151 grams of fat.
TO LOSE WEIGHT:

[COLOR="Red"][COLOR="Blue"]To lose a pound a week safely decrease your daily intake to 1,385 calories.[/COLOR][/COLOR]

You have decided to eat 15 grams of carbohydrate a day. To avoid loss of lean muscle mass you must eat 117 grams of high quality protein each day. This can be found in 19.5 ounces of meat, eggs, or hard cheese.

Round out your diet with 95 grams of fat.

Healthy Nutrient Levels for Your Ketogenic Low Carb Diet
Your Height: 67.5 inches

Your Current Weight: 158 pounds

Your Age: 62

Your Gender: Female

Your Activity Level: Sedentary

Your Calculated Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR): 1,318

Activity Factor Used to Compute Activity Calories from BMR: 1.2
TO MAINTAIN YOUR CURRENT WEIGHT:

[COLOR="Red"]To maintain your body weight eat 1,581 calories.[/COLOR]

You have decided to eat 15 grams of carbohydrate a day.

To avoid loss of muscle mass you must eat 117 grams of high quality protein each day. This can be found in 19.5 ounces of meat, eggs, or hard cheese.

Round out your diet with 117 grams of fat.
TO LOSE WEIGHT:

[COLOR="Blue"]Your caloric requirements are low. To diet safely decrease your daily intake to 1,100 calories.[/COLOR]

You have decided to eat 15 grams of carbohydrate a day. To avoid loss of lean muscle mass you must eat 117 grams of high quality protein each day. This can be found in 19.5 ounces of meat, eggs, or hard cheese.

Round out your diet with 63 grams of fat.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:42 PM   #690
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

My foods and ****** for Sat 5/2/09:

Late Breakfast/Lunch: 4 oz. of leftover Ginger Chicken

Lunch: 3 slices of low fat white american cheese and 3 slices Hilshire Farms thin sliced low fat ham.

Snack: 3 pieces of SF candy

Dinner: unbreaded chicken burger w/cheedar on grill w/grilled asparagus, 4 slices of cucumber w/guacamole.

Later: 20-25 pecans, 1 homemade SF peanut butter choc cup

******:

Calories: 1669
Fats: 65%
Prot: 29&
Carbs: 6% = 25g

I did not calculate the SF candy or homemade peanut butter chocolate cup because it would not be accurate so carb count is probably slightly higher as well as the fats/calories.

I'll weigh in tomorrow. I've had numerous trips to the bathroom today :blush: My body must be perging or too much magnesium! But it's making me hungry all day. As soon as I eat - it leaves. I never have to be bullemic - it just goes on it's own accord a lot of days. I know, TMI...