Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2009, 06:06 AM   #601
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BlueTopaz
Stats: 160/156/140
WOE: whatever works
Start Date: 10 years ago - Height 5' 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by atkinsgoddess View Post
Higher cals and carbs yest. due to some nice red wine with dinner. Back down to 158, but still 3 pounds more than I was almost a week ago!!!

cals 2012; fat 48%; carbs 4%; protein 35%

Do you think I am averaging too much protein, and that is converting to carbs or whatever Dr. A said it did? But I'm HUNGRY!! At 9.2 oz of steak last night!!

Linda, hope your tummy is feeling better. I took a "woman's" laxative last night and am having a bit of distress myself. I should just let nature take its course.
[COLOR="Blue"]No, I don't think 35% protein is too much - I believe it's ideal. Protein don't convert into carbs or sugar. You have to maintain your muscles too.
Your numbers above look good.

What do you drink during the day? Any diet sodas? I'm baffled why you aren't losing. Your calories are averaging about 1400? Maybe get a physical and get your thyroid checked. Also have him check for parasites - that may be causing excess hunger. Did you ever do the Candida test (spitting into a glass of water 1st thing in the morning before brushing your teeth?) Dr. A talks alot about Candida being the culprit to not losing weight on his diet.

I stayed up until 2:00 am and just woke up. Don't have work today - having a Cocktail Awards Dinner at my daughters college tonight at 5:30 - black tie. Anyway, I got to bed last night and my stomach still feels bloated. It was ok later that afternoon, went out to eat but dummy me orders "buffalo shrimp" as a appetizer and a garden salad. I didn't know the shrimp was breaded! So, not only did I violate the pure food diet rule but I eat hot sauce after just having a battle with my tummy! So, I tried to find a less painful position to sleep and then finally I slept. I'm A-ok today.

I must stay away from the flax buns today or else I'm going to be in trouble for tonight.

I still weigh the same today. I'll eat real light today in case they have frankenfoods tonight.
[/COLOR]

Last edited by BlueTopaz; 04-22-2009 at 06:07 AM..
BlueTopaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2009, 06:52 AM   #602
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Scotty
Stats: 174/160.9/140- 5' 7.5" born in 1946
WOE: Enjoying JUDDD's freedom after years of low carb
Start Date: Every day!!! JUDD start 1/13/12
Linda, so you're going to a party to0-yours will probably be a lot more tempting than mine, being black tie and all. I may be able to get away with just cheese...

I very seldom drink diet soda-one per week absolute tops. I drink water-not enough, but I do drink it..haven't exercised since last week..forgot about the spit test-I don't have the symptoms but will try to remember-, but parasites-UGH!

My stomach doesn't actually rumble, but I do feel like I need food. Have to analyse if it is truly hunger or just my-very healthy- appetite. I think I told you all about the friend who watched me at a seafood buffet, and said to DH "I don't know how your wife stays so slim-she sure can eat!"

Here's averages for 4 weeks/2 months per ******-
cals 1669/ 1674
fat 59%/ 60%
carbs 5%/ 5%
protein 28/ 27
alcohol 8%/ 7% Gee, do you think this could have anything to do with it??

You see, I stay so disciplined, but when I go out (or get angry, like last night), I go waaaaayyy over

"If you're afraid of butter, add a little cream" Julia Child

Last edited by Scotty; 04-22-2009 at 06:54 AM..
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:42 AM   #603
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

[COLOR="Blue"]Donna,

Dr. Atkins was not opposed to drinking and he loved the "good life" - btw he was a Libra too!

Sure, you have times when you bump off the plan, but basically you are in the higher percentile of being pure OP.

It's true that alcohol can take you out of ketosis and it delays weight loss because the body is designed to burn off alcohol first, then carbs, then fat, then muscle if needed. So, when we have our drinks, the body is working towards burning that first. IF we have carbs with our drinks, then it'll work on the carbs next - then the fat and that can be 24-48 hrs later; thus, no weight loss. If calories count at the end of the day, alcohol certainly can add on the calorie intake. But I don't think you drink enough for this to have a huge impact on you. And you have gone a week without the stuff and didn't see the scale drop down dramatically.

So, it's got to be something else. That's why I advise you to get a full workup on essential vitamins and a thyroid test by your doctor. Don't be scared of anything serious - it may be something that can be remedied very easily. Knowledge is power!
[/COLOR]
Old 04-22-2009, 09:20 AM   #604
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

[COLOR="Blue"]Well, I was a little nervous about getting into a dress after 5 yrs of not. I have alot of business skirt suits from my days at the Bank and I was a size 10. I just tried on my favority dark purple faux swede one and it fits! The saddlebags are a little more pronounced than back in those days when I wore it but not bad and pantyhose will slim it down. I am happy!

Just took a shower and getting ready to walk my dog. It's going to rain again today in PA so I'd better haul my butt. I would like to do more callenetics too this afternoon. I am feeling good about that exercise from the 1st night I tried it. I could have sworn my thighs muscles were pumped that next morning.

I wish I had my digital camera at home (it's at work). I would have DD take a pic so I could use that as my avatar. Maybe I'll call my daughter and tell her to bring hers.

For breakfast I had: 2 cheesy egg bakes and scrapple, V8 veg juice
Lunch will be very light. Not hungry in the least.

My tummy is fine now and I made a couple of trips to the BR. There is probably more to eliminate for my pooch is bigger than normal
I'll take a "cleanse" tonight and get rid of the rest!
[/COLOR]
Old 04-22-2009, 09:54 AM   #605
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: mommy_gates
Stats: 170/154.2/145 (5'6"-57 years old)
WOE: Weight Watchers
Start Date: November 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitedov1208 View Post
[COLOR="Blue"]Right now my body's saying "WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO ME, LINDA?" Right after I had lunch I went twice and still I felt like a watermelon was inside. It managed to calm down until I went to dinner tonight and now it's bloated again but not as painful. I would take a magnesium but it might mean having to put a sleeping bag in the bathroom and that would not be a restful sleep! [/COLOR]

You keep bringing up magnesium...what the reason behind that one...

Is it because magnesium helps you sleep..i heard of that before..

Gaets
mommy_gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:01 AM   #606
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Linda, so you're going to a party to0-yours will probably be a lot more tempting than mine, being black tie and all. I may be able to get away with just cheese...

I very seldom drink diet soda-one per week absolute tops. I drink water-not enough, but I do drink it..haven't exercised since last week..forgot about the spit test-I don't have the symptoms but will try to remember-, but parasites-UGH!

My stomach doesn't actually rumble, but I do feel like I need food. Have to analyse if it is truly hunger or just my-very healthy- appetite. I think I told you all about the friend who watched me at a seafood buffet, and said to DH "I don't know how your wife stays so slim-she sure can eat!"

Here's averages for 4 weeks/2 months per ******-
cals 1669/ 1674
fat 59%/ 60%
carbs 5%/ 5%
protein 28/ 27
alcohol 8%/ 7% Gee, do you think this could have anything to do with it??

You see, I stay so disciplined, but when I go out (or get angry, like last night), I go waaaaayyy over

Did you know that alcohol slows down the metabolism ...so if you're not exercising neither...nothing much will happen to your body..sorry for the bad news..

Myself i know on saturdays i do take a couple of glasses of wine...i enjoy it...but the next day the scale is up...i know that to...but i do get back on schedule on monday..

Have to enjoy some time on this earth..can't be watching ourself everyday single day and minute ...right

Gaets

Last edited by mommy_gates; 04-22-2009 at 10:06 AM..
Old 04-22-2009, 10:14 AM   #607
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy_gates View Post
You keep bringing up magnesium...what the reason behind that one...

Is it because magnesium helps you sleep..i heard of that before..

Gaets
[COLOR="Blue"]Yeah, I feel like I'm magnesium's biggest cheerleader.

I discovered it by reading back in the 80's Earl Mindells Vitamin Bible. I was having tension headaches every day and taking Excedrin - only to later get bad stomach ache. Ed Mindell's book advocated magnesiium for headaches as well as the fact that most of US is deficient in this miracle mineral. So, I took it and the headaches stopped immediately. When I missed a day, the headache came back. Eventually, the headaches went away and I only get a few now and then.

Besides for headaches, it is great for muscular pain and it is the transporter of calcium - it makes sure the calcium gets to the right places. Do you ever hear of calcium deposits that people get? They probably were not taking magnesium.

As an added bonus, Magnesium Oxide which is in Twin Labs brand is a natual laxitive. You've heard of Milk of Magnesia? That is magnesium.

I find that I feel so much better and it has gotten me out of stomach messes many times over!
[/COLOR]
Old 04-22-2009, 12:31 PM   #608
Major LCF Poster!

Linda, how many mgs? I have pills with 500 each, and have been taking one in am and one pm. I think that might be too much?? Sure doesn't make a difference in my sleep...

Gaets, unfortunately, on the days I drink, I can't ex. cuz I'm doing something! I wish I could get back into the every day habit. My "excuse" is that when I was out of work for two years, I had the time to ex. for 45 min./day, and now the LAST thing I want to do when I get home is exercise...

I did well at lunch. They were having a special on broiled haddock on a bed of spinach, with a butter sauce. Had some extra hot veggies-strips of red pepper, julienne of carrot (ate as little as possible) and cabbage. Onion soup to begin-no bread or cheese on it, except a little parm. ONE french fry, half of a small piece of French bread-no alcohol (good thing cuz things were crazy when I got back)

-the other broker I work with sent me a huge, GORGEOUS arrangement of lilies, orchids, rununculus, a flower I don't recognize,and a couple carnations. What s scent! It's filling the office.

Carbs are at 23.9 gross/5.3 gms fiber with cals at 840, so I guess I'm on DANDR today Tonight I will just have the rest of the steak, so as not to add any more.

Was just looking over the old posts, looking for how to do the Candida test, and saw that on 3/17 I weighed 3 tenths less than I do today!!! ARRRGGHH!!

Last edited by Scotty; 04-22-2009 at 01:12 PM..
Old 04-22-2009, 08:37 PM   #609
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Linda, how many mgs? I have pills with 500 each, and have been taking one in am and one pm. I think that might be too much?? Sure doesn't make a difference in my sleep...

Gaets, unfortunately, on the days I drink, I can't ex. cuz I'm doing something! I wish I could get back into the every day habit. My "excuse" is that when I was out of work for two years, I had the time to ex. for 45 min./day, and now the LAST thing I want to do when I get home is exercise...

I did well at lunch. They were having a special on broiled haddock on a bed of spinach, with a butter sauce. Had some extra hot veggies-strips of red pepper, julienne of carrot (ate as little as possible) and cabbage. Onion soup to begin-no bread or cheese on it, except a little parm. ONE french fry, half of a small piece of French bread-no alcohol (good thing cuz things were crazy when I got back)

-the other broker I work with sent me a huge, GORGEOUS arrangement of lilies, orchids, rununculus, a flower I don't recognize,and a couple carnations. What s scent! It's filling the office.

Carbs are at 23.9 gross/5.3 gms fiber with cals at 840, so I guess I'm on DANDR today Tonight I will just have the rest of the steak, so as not to add any more.

Was just looking over the old posts, looking for how to do the Candida test, and saw that on 3/17 I weighed 3 tenths less than I do today!!! ARRRGGHH!!

[COLOR="Blue"]That 1 french fry is gonna blow it! :::wagging finger at Donna ::::

It's 500 mg calcium to 250 mg Magnesium. If the magesium is 500 mg ; then calcium should be 1000 mg. Unless your bottle says anything different, I only take 1 magnesium a day - 500 mg and 1000 mg calcium at night.

I made it through the cocktail dinner tonight OP. Had cheese cubes at the h'orderves (?) table w/a couple of glasses of wine - must have been diluted. Wine doesn't do it for me unless its Sandman Port. Dinner was buffet. The only thing there I could eat was steamed chicken and steamed salmon. Skipped the potatoes, carrots, rolls and dessert. Lemon Merengue, Chocolate cake. I was sitting in the middle with my daughter on one side eating choc cake and husband on my left having lemon meringue. I went out for a cigarette.

As it was, that little bit I ate make my stomach feel so bloated up. My husband is having the same thing. He has allergies like I do and constantly gets a bubbly bloated stomach. That has happened to me on occassion. Since last Friday, it's been chronic. It must be the sinus drainage combined with the antibiotic. I had no flax buns today. Now I'm drinking Diet Rite and trying to burp and will hit the Maalox if that doesn't help. I'm really tired tonight. I didn't sleep good last night. They gave out 1 reward tonight from the Teachers Honor Society and my daughter won it! She got a framed certificate and a check for $500!

Well, I'm going to lay out on the lazy boy. Sitting doesn't feel good. Nitey Nite Donna and all of you here on board!
[/COLOR]
Old 04-23-2009, 04:29 AM   #610
Major LCF Poster!

So, I'm back up a pound and a half to 159.5. (It was the french fry!!) Pretty soon I am just going to give up (no I'm not). I just have to not let these social things-or anger-do me in. My carbs on average have been consistently low, but there have certainly been high days...

I'll just keep on keeping on...

I take 1200 mgs of calcium in two lots a day. I guess I"ll just take the mag at night.

Linda, so glad you were able to stay OP. I hope I can tonight, but I don't hold out much hope. Take care of that tummy!!

Just found out that we may be going to Egypt next January!
Old 04-23-2009, 05:50 AM   #611
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
[COLOR="Blue"]Yeah, I feel like I'm magnesium's biggest cheerleader.

I discovered it by reading back in the 80's Earl Mindells Vitamin Bible. I was having tension headaches every day and taking Excedrin - only to later get bad stomach ache. Ed Mindell's book advocated magnesiium for headaches as well as the fact that most of US is deficient in this miracle mineral. So, I took it and the headaches stopped immediately. When I missed a day, the headache came back. Eventually, the headaches went away and I only get a few now and then.

Besides for headaches, it is great for muscular pain and it is the transporter of calcium - it makes sure the calcium gets to the right places. Do you ever hear of calcium deposits that people get? They probably were not taking magnesium.

As an added bonus, Magnesium Oxide which is in Twin Labs brand is a natual laxitive. You've heard of Milk of Magnesia? That is magnesium.

I find that I feel so much better and it has gotten me out of stomach messes many times over!
[/COLOR]

Thank you for your explanation....i do take it everyday..but didn't know of all the advantage of it... and now you can add that it also helps with insomia also

Gaets

Last edited by mommy_gates; 04-23-2009 at 05:53 AM..
Old 04-23-2009, 05:57 AM   #612
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
[COLOR="Blue"]That 1 french fry is gonna blow it! :::wagging finger at Donna ::::

It's 500 mg calcium to 250 mg Magnesium. If the magesium is 500 mg ; then calcium should be 1000 mg. Unless your bottle says anything different, I only take 1 magnesium a day - 500 mg and 1000 mg calcium at night.

I made it through the cocktail dinner tonight OP. Had cheese cubes at the h'orderves (?) table w/a couple of glasses of wine - must have been diluted. Wine doesn't do it for me unless its Sandman Port. Dinner was buffet. The only thing there I could eat was steamed chicken and steamed salmon. Skipped the potatoes, carrots, rolls and dessert. Lemon Merengue, Chocolate cake. I was sitting in the middle with my daughter on one side eating choc cake and husband on my left having lemon meringue. I went out for a cigarette.

As it was, that little bit I ate make my stomach feel so bloated up. My husband is having the same thing. He has allergies like I do and constantly gets a bubbly bloated stomach. That has happened to me on occassion. Since last Friday, it's been chronic. It must be the sinus drainage combined with the antibiotic. I had no flax buns today. Now I'm drinking Diet Rite and trying to burp and will hit the Maalox if that doesn't help. I'm really tired tonight. I didn't sleep good last night. They gave out 1 reward tonight from the Teachers Honor Society and my daughter won it! She got a framed certificate and a check for $500!

Well, I'm going to lay out on the lazy boy. Sitting doesn't feel good. Nitey Nite Donna and all of you here on board!
[/COLOR]

Congradulation on your daughter achievment ...you must be so proud...
Old 04-23-2009, 06:13 AM   #613
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
So, I'm back up a pound and a half to 159.5. (It was the french fry!!) Pretty soon I am just going to give up (no I'm not). I just have to not let these social things-or anger-do me in. My carbs on average have been consistently low, but there have certainly been high days...

I'll just keep on keeping on...

I take 1200 mgs of calcium in two lots a day. I guess I"ll just take the mag at night.

Linda, so glad you were able to stay OP. I hope I can tonight, but I don't hold out much hope. Take care of that tummy!!

Just found out that we may be going to Egypt next January!
[COLOR="Blue"]Egypt! OMG! How did that come about? I would love to go to Egypt. Tell you what....you take me under the pretenses that I am your nutritionist to keep you "ON PLAN". Like a body guard that protects your insides!

I could meditate in the pyramids while you hunt us down food for a picnic!

From my light food and probably under 1000 calories, I lost a lb. That won't hold once my stomach is back on track unless I excercise consistantly. Now I'm at what I ended up with on Atkins 72.

I ended up taking Maalox last night (my husband goes thru a bottle a week)and went to bed around 12:30. It did settle the Sponge Bob in my upper stomach enough to go to sleep. This morning - it's still full and I am not hungry and kinda scared to eat. Don't laugh, but I made South Beach Beef and Chili yesterday afternoon before we left and gave a container to my daughter who loves my chili. Now what part of me thinks I can handle chili today? It's like the other night after all afternoon of getting rid of stomach ache and then I order Buffalo deep fried breaded shrimp and a gassy veggie salad? There is a little shadow angel on my should that says and sounds like Ren and Stimpy cartoons "neh,neh- go ahead Linda - it'll either kill you or cure you and it's taaaaasttttyyy". While putting the chili in containers last night I had a spoonful and my stomach acted up.
[/COLOR]
Old 04-23-2009, 06:19 AM   #614
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

[COLOR="Blue"]Thanks Gaetes!

My husband and I had no idea she'd be such an outstanding college student based on her Jr. and HS days. She got good grades and made honor roll sometimes but she didn't seem that ambitious and as a budding teenager, she was moody and despondent. Then, she met Jason and everything turned around and her high math scores went up because him being an Engineer - was great at math and tutored her and motivated her to do better.

She made us proud and exceeded our expectations!

She went to 2 job interviews on Monday for teaching positions at 2 different schools here in my area. The one called her back the next day and said it's between her and another person and to just hang in there. She'll know this week. She really wants this school to work at!
[/COLOR]
Old 04-23-2009, 06:39 AM   #615
Major LCF Poster!

Linda, will your daughter be a math teacher? I am a former teacher, but certainly not math!! (music)

Yeah, not thinking too straight about what you're eating...step away from the chili...

Just found out that there is an organism in our local water so we have been told to boil it, which means no delicious coffee from the Keurig today-someone will have to go to Starbucks. Also, our water cooler uses town water, so we have to go to the branch downstairs which has bottled water, to get our water. I guess I won't be getting all of it in today...

DH read an ad in the paper that a local Lions Club is planning a trip there, told me he always wanted to go there, so I guess we are signed up. 5 days looking at the pyramids and stuff, then 5 days on a cruise from Luxor to Aswan, I think. A 10 hour trip there, and 12 back, but the trip to China last year was 13, so I know what to expect. I hope the airline is continental or American so we can see if we can get an upgrade.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:45 AM   #616
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Linda, will your daughter be a math teacher? I am a former teacher, but certainly not math!! (music)

Yeah, not thinking too straight about what you're eating...step away from the chili...

Just found out that there is an organism in our local water so we have been told to boil it, which means no delicious coffee from the Keurig today-someone will have to go to Starbucks. Also, our water cooler uses town water, so we have to go to the branch downstairs which has bottled water, to get our water. I guess I won't be getting all of it in today...

DH read an ad in the paper that a local Lions Club is planning a trip there, told me he always wanted to go there, so I guess we are signed up. 5 days looking at the pyramids and stuff, then 5 days on a cruise from Luxor to Aswan, I think. A 10 hour trip there, and 12 back, but the trip to China last year was 13, so I know what to expect. I hope the airline is continental or American so we can see if we can get an upgrade.
[COLOR="Blue"]Interesting...didn't I mention parasites the other day to you?

[COLOR="Blue"]She has a degree in Consumer Family Science (Home Ec) and a minor in English. Math was her worse subject. Jason bailed her out.[/COLOR]

So what do you think about taking me? huh? huh?

I should probably be having soup, jello and pudding these days.
[/COLOR]

Last edited by BlueTopaz; 04-23-2009 at 06:46 AM.. Reason: adding
Old 04-23-2009, 06:54 AM   #617
Major LCF Poster!

Got $2500 +??

The organisms are ones that haven't been shown to be harmful to humans-copepods and rotifers, but still...
Old 04-23-2009, 09:48 AM   #618
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Got $2500 +??

The organisms are ones that haven't been shown to be harmful to humans-copepods and rotifers, but still...
[COLOR="Blue"]Nope, don't got $2500 laying around waiting to be spent. My daughter gets any extra of ours! But...I thought....for my services....my expenses could be covered.

Didn't eat anything yet...no chlli for me. I'll let the boss have some. I just brought some corn beef and mozz cheese and a little salad. No soup on hand and why bother with just broth? [/COLOR]
Old 04-23-2009, 01:00 PM   #619
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Going all out tonight...celebrating my 32nd wedding anniversary....wine is diffinitely on the list for tonight... and lobster...my favorite

Talk to you gals later...got to get ready for the big night....

Gaets
Old 04-23-2009, 01:15 PM   #620
Major LCF Poster!

Gaets, Have a wonderful, wine enriched anniversary with your, as I say about mine, "first husband"...

Linda, would that I could...
Old 04-23-2009, 01:19 PM   #621
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: dasiey
Quote:
[COLOR="Blue"]No, I don't think 35% protein is too much - I believe it's ideal. Protein don't convert into carbs or sugar. You have to maintain your muscles too.
Your numbers above look good.

What do you drink during the day? Any diet sodas? I'm baffled why you aren't losing. Your calories are averaging about 1400? Maybe get a physical and get your thyroid checked. Also have him check for parasites - that may be causing excess hunger. Did you ever do the Candida test (spitting into a glass of water 1st thing in the morning before brushing your teeth?) Dr. A talks alot about Candida being the culprit to not losing weight on his diet.

I stayed up until 2:00 am and just woke up. Don't have work today - having a Cocktail Awards Dinner at my daughters college tonight at 5:30 - black tie. Anyway, I got to bed last night and my stomach still feels bloated. It was ok later that afternoon, went out to eat but dummy me orders "buffalo shrimp" as a appetizer and a garden salad. I didn't know the shrimp was breaded! So, not only did I violate the pure food diet rule but I eat hot sauce after just having a battle with my tummy! So, I tried to find a less painful position to sleep and then finally I slept. I'm A-ok today.

I must stay away from the flax buns today or else I'm going to be in trouble for tonight.

I still weigh the same today. I'll eat real light today in case they have frankenfoods tonight.
[/COLOR]
what is the spit test?
dasiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 01:32 PM   #622
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasiey View Post
what is the spit test?
First thing in the morning, spit in a glass of water (I put the glass of water by the bathroom sink the night before for ease) and spit in it. If, in an hour, it doesn't sink to the bottom - your candida is in control. If it sinks, you have an candida yeast overload.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:54 PM   #623
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: dasiey
thank you Linda
dasiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 04:27 AM   #624
Major LCF Poster!

Did pretty well in the eating department at the party, but had lots to drink...weight is 158.4 today, which is down a pound. Go figure. It will probably be up tomorrow. I am still 3 pounds up from my low of 155 2 weeks ago...
Old 04-24-2009, 04:45 AM   #625
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Leisa

[COLOR="Blue"]Hi Leisa,
I just ordered the book on Protein Power and their 2 cookbooks. I have read the Amazon reviews and it sounds good. May need to go that route for the last 6 or so lbs. It seems South Beach friendly too and the recipes sound awesome.

Do you use any of the cookbooks? How is the plan going for you and what's your opinion? Any advice would be appreciated!
[/COLOR]
Old 04-24-2009, 04:54 AM   #626
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good Morning Girls!

Quote:
Did pretty well in the eating department at the party, but had lots to drink...weight is 158.4 today, which is down a pound. Go figure. It will probably be up tomorrow. I am still 3 pounds up from my low of 155 2 weeks ago...
[COLOR="Blue"]Donna, Congrats on your weight loss! Keep on going!
I didn't eat much yesterday but I think enough. I ate more like Atkins 72 yesterday. Maybe that's key - switch it now and then. Some days more carbs, some days not. I'm listening to my body and yesterday - it said no veggies. Fiber is not my friend while taking these antibiotics.

B: nothing
L: 3 slices of corned beef, 3 slices of Mozz Cheese
D: 7:00 p.m. - late for me --- 2 cheese egg bakes and 2 slices Spam fried
Snack: SF Strawberry Jello and SF Dream whip (that was great). For once I did not get hypergycemic from it.

No tummy pain either yesterday.

I am now in my Size 10 Jeans for 2 days in a row. I am psyched because it's been years since I've been able to get them over my thighs.

Tonight I'm devoting to doing Callenetics despite bronchitis, stomach ache blah, blah, blah...excuses! Even if it's a little - better than nothing.
[/COLOR]
Old 04-24-2009, 06:09 AM   #627
Major LCF Poster!

Linda, are you just now fitting into size 10?? I weigh a lot more than you do and I've been wearing size 10 all along....

What's Protein Power?
Old 04-24-2009, 07:01 AM   #628
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
[COLOR="Blue"]Donna, Congrats on your weight loss! Keep on going!
I didn't eat much yesterday but I think enough. I ate more like Atkins 72 yesterday. Maybe that's key - switch it now and then. Some days more carbs, some days not. I'm listening to my body and yesterday - it said no veggies. Fiber is not my friend while taking these antibiotics.

B: nothing
L: 3 slices of corned beef, 3 slices of Mozz Cheese
D: 7:00 p.m. - late for me --- 2 cheese egg bakes and 2 slices Spam fried
Snack: SF Strawberry Jello and SF Dream whip (that was great). For once I did not get hypergycemic from it.

No tummy pain either yesterday.

I am now in my Size 10 Jeans for 2 days in a row. I am psyched because it's been years since I've been able to get them over my thighs.

Tonight I'm devoting to doing Callenetics despite bronchitis, stomach ache blah, blah, blah...excuses! Even if it's a little - better than nothing.
[/COLOR]
I did callanetic for awhile..i love it but like anything else...it takes time and concentration...but it is not hard on the joint and body so it is nice...now i'm doing something similar to callenatic called T-Tapps ...intense muscular workout, working more than one muscle at a time...not hard on the joints again but you do need concentration and it lasts only 30 minutes...i just started 2 weeks ago but i love it...

Had a good time last night but paying for it this morning... my weight went up 2lbs..but i'll work it out...got to enjoy small things in life

Keep up the good work everyone...

Have a great day ladies

Last edited by mommy_gates; 04-24-2009 at 07:02 AM..
Old 04-24-2009, 07:08 AM   #629
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Linda, are you just now fitting into size 10?? I weigh a lot more than you do and I've been wearing size 10 all along....

What's Protein Power?
Not sure yet - will do research

Yeah, just now a Size 10. I was Size 12. I don't have any idea why people that weigh more than me can wear a 10 unless my thighs and hips are bigger than theirs.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:48 AM   #630
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Protein Power to lose those 10-15 lbs!

Protein Power Diet: What It Is
Protein Power: What It Is
The popularity of low-carbohydrate, high-protein diets is is not as high as it was years ago when Protein Power, which graced the New York Times best-seller list for over a year. Low-carb, high-protein diets continue to offer weight loss options.

Written by a married couple of MDs, Michael R. and Mary Dan Eades, the book promises that you will "feel fit and boost your health -- in just weeks!" The cover includes praise from one of their diet-expert-author competitors, Barry Sears, author of The Zone, who calls their book nothing less than "The Nutritional Primer of the Nineties."

© 2008 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.
What sets Protein Power apart is the wealth of historical information about low-carbohydrate diets and how these have influenced dieters galore, ever since William Banting wrote his Letter on Corpulence in the mid 1800s. The Eades also provide scientific explanations for the functions of insulin and glucagons, the major hormones involved in the food-to-fuel process, along with plenty of encouragement and practical suggestions, such as what to order in a French restaurant or fast food joint.

Protein Power: What You Can Eat
Those of you who crave steak, eggs, and cheese will have a great time on this diet. Vegetarians will not, because tofu is the main source of protein allowed non-meat eaters. And as even the most dedicated know, tofu three times a day can get tiresome.

To determine your daily protein quotient, the authors take you through a series of steps and measurements to determine your body fat and lean body mass, as well as ask you to assess your physical activity level.

You may choose your protein from fish, poultry, red meat, low-fat cheese (cottage cheese, feta, mozzarella, Muenster), eggs, and tofu. If you want to lose a lot of fat (the authors don't say you lose weight, but fat instead) or correct a health problem, you can add only 30 grams of carbohydrate, or less, divided throughout the day. If your need to lose is not so great, you can up that quota to 55 grams per day. Favorite low-carb foods? Lists of low-carb fruits and vegetables are given to make your life easier. These include leafy green vegetables, tomatoes, peppers, broccoli, eggplant, zucchini, green beans, asparagus, celery, cucumber, mushrooms, and a surprise fruit that rarely makes the diet sweepstakes: avocado, high in fat, but low in carbs.

Add in 25 grams of fiber (you can subtract the fiber grams from the carbohydrate grams in commercially processed foods, which gives you more carbs to play with), and healthy fats: olive and nut oils, avocado, and butter. Drink at least eight glasses of water per day. And a glass of wine or a light beer is OK, but their carbs count, too.

Protein Power: What You Can Eat continued...
The book's sample menus don't sound too temperate: Breakfast might be smoked salmon and a cream cheese omelet, one-half cup of fresh strawberries, a slice of light toast with butter, and coffee; for lunch, one-half avocado stuffed with chicken salad made with mayonnaise, served on a bed of fresh greens. Dinner might be a lean cut of meat, ten steamed asparagus spears, salad, one-half tomato, and a small glass of red wine if desired. Diet sodas and artificial sweeteners are permitted in moderation.

To round out nutritional needs, the authors recommend taking a high-quality vitamin-and-mineral supplement, along with at least 90 milligrams of potassium.

The book contains sample menus, more than 100 recipes, and suggestions on how to order in every kind of restaurant.

Protein Power: How It Works
Like the other low-carbohydrate diets, the Protein Power regimen is based on the idea that controlling the level of insulin, "the master hormone of human metabolism," helps regulate blood pressure, cholesterol, triglycerides, and fat storage. Researchers have long known that carbohydrates cause the body to produce insulin and that high levels of insulin inhibit the breakdown of fatty deposits in the body. In contrast, low intake of carbohydrates keeps insulin levels low, forcing the production of a counterbalancing hormone, glucagon, which seeks energy from the body's supply of stored fat. Ergo, one loses weight. Do this long enough and the fat seems to melt away, the authors claim, and they add that the usual "low-fat, high-carbohydrate approach won't do it; it has just the opposite effect."

If you are very overweight, the initial phase of the diet (when carbohydrates are severely restricted) will almost certainly put you in a state of ketosis, which happens when fat breaks down to the point where ketone bodies are produced and excreted in the urine. Ketones are incompletely burned fat, say the Eades, so that any ketones "you get rid of without actually using them for energy means you are ditching unwanted fat without having to actually burn it off."

Is ketosis dangerous, as some nutritional authorities would have you believe? Not at all, attest the authors. Ketones are the natural by-product of fat breakdown, normal and important sources of energy. To facilitate getting rid of these ketones, they urge you to increase your fluid intake by as much as 50%, to at least two quarts of water-based fluids a day.

As for exercise, the authors favor resistance-training, such as weight-lifting, because it stimulates the release of growth hormone more quickly than aerobic exercise. Why is this important? Because growth hormone shifts the metabolism to the preferential use of stored fat for energy.

Protein Power: What the Experts Say
Low-carbohydrate diets, which always mean high protein, almost universally draw a red flag from conventional nutritionists and medical experts. But since they do jump-start weight loss that you can see quickly, some say they have their place. " Fad diets are OK for a quick start," notes Bonnie Brehm, PhD, assistant professor of nutrition at the University of Cincinnati's College of Allied Health Sciences in Cincinnati, Ohio. "Some people need to see that five-pound weight loss rather than just a single pound after a week of dieting." Brehm is conducting a study comparing a high protein diet with the low-fat diet recommended by the American Heart Association.
Protein Power: What the Experts Say continued...
"In the short term, the low-carb diets are effective -- we see weight loss, improvement in some metabolic functions such as blood pressure, loss of body fat, but their real hazard is that they are nutritionally poor," she says. "They are low in calcium, low in vitamins C and A, low in fiber. We don't know if taking a vitamin-mineral supplement is adequate. There are a lot of micronutrients in foods that are not in supplements, including some we don't even know about yet. We do not have any long-term studies on these alternative diets with the extreme modifications of a nutritionally balanced diet."

Susan B. Roberts, PhD, a professor of nutrition and psychiatry at Tufts University in Boston, Mass., and co-author of Feeding Your Child for Lifelong Health, does not recommend the diet because there is no good evidence that low-carbohydrate diets work any more effectively than conventional ones. Furthermore, she says, "Because they cut back on foods that have multiple health benefits, they may reduce health in the long term."

Roberts notes that the Protein Power regimen may work for many, but the reason is different from the theory put forth in the book. It simply may be the lack of variety that works to reduce overall calorie intake. "Protein Power and most other popular diet books substantially reduce the variety of foods you are allowed to eat -- and variety itself is a major promoter of overeating," she says.

Protein Power: Food For Thought
As with any of the currently popular low-carbohydrate and high-protein diets, this plan yields weight loss on the short term. However, the established nutritional community warns that these eating plans can be seriously deficient in important nutrients. While this plan does offer a range of sample diets and menus, it requires a reduction in the variety of foods that one can eat, which may be difficult to sustain over the long term.

Last edited by BlueTopaz; 04-24-2009 at 09:16 AM..