Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2009, 07:02 PM   #571
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AMonkey
Stats: 158/129/125
WOE: Organic Whole Foods
Start Date: October 2008
Hello everyone, and welcome 2X. Good job on the 3 pound loss Linda.

I can definitely understand the weariness of always thinking about food what I can't have - can have. I don't want to think about it. Of course, I don't cook - I so maybe that's why I'm not enthused about the creation process.

My friend has been making meat muffins - a recipe she found on this site. Using a muffin tin, you create individual meat muffins by layering ham or bacon at the bottom, then adding a slice of cheese, and then cracking a raw egg the top. You bake at 350 for 30 minutes. I'm going to try it this week.

Someone on another thread recommended the book The Diet Cure. I've got a trip to Phoenix coming up this weekend - lots of passenger time in the car - so I'm going to pick it up. To summarize, the book is about why we crave certain foods. I've been crazing peanuts, cashews and apples (not the skin) since I've been on OWL. I'm wondering what that's all about.
AMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2009, 07:50 PM   #572
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: pnevers
Stats: 142/132/120-5'4"
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: March 8, 2009
I'm new here and it seems this is a pretty good place to be. I want to lose another 15 pounds.
My Fit Day stats are: Calories: 1201 (Hard to eat any more than that; I get stuffed)
Fat: 68 Protein: 23 Carbs: 10
pnevers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:18 PM   #573
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BlueTopaz
Stats: 160/156/140
WOE: whatever works
Start Date: 10 years ago - Height 5' 7"
Welcome Pnevers !

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnevers View Post
I'm new here and it seems this is a pretty good place to be. I want to lose another 15 pounds.
My Fit Day stats are: Calories: 1201 (Hard to eat any more than that; I get stuffed)
Fat: 68 Protein: 23 Carbs: 10
A Board!

You are at the right thread and if you read everything, you'll notice that we are down to earth. You'll know our frustrations and our triumphs and you are welcomed to join!

May I ask how tall you are? Most of us wish we could eat only 1200 calories so I am guessing you are petite. Donna (Atkins Goddess) is 5'8" and I am 5'7 and find it hard to go that low without passing out from starvation!

Post often and tell us about yourself.
BlueTopaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:21 PM   #574
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMonkey View Post
Hello everyone, and welcome 2X. Good job on the 3 pound loss Linda.

I can definitely understand the weariness of always thinking about food what I can't have - can have. I don't want to think about it. Of course, I don't cook - I so maybe that's why I'm not enthused about the creation process.

My friend has been making meat muffins - a recipe she found on this site. Using a muffin tin, you create individual meat muffins by layering ham or bacon at the bottom, then adding a slice of cheese, and then cracking a raw egg the top. You bake at 350 for 30 minutes. I'm going to try it this week.

Someone on another thread recommended the book The Diet Cure. I've got a trip to Phoenix coming up this weekend - lots of passenger time in the car - so I'm going to pick it up. To summarize, the book is about why we crave certain foods. I've been crazing peanuts, cashews and apples (not the skin) since I've been on OWL. I'm wondering what that's all about.

[COLOR="Blue"]OMG! I love Phoenix! I was there 6 yrs ago just to see if I could run into Stevie Nicks (Fleetwood Mac) because she lived in Paradise Valley. So, I booked a bus to take me there but the driver acted like he didn't know her so he was no help in finding where she lived! He probably thought "another groupie that I'll save Stevie from". Is your trip business or pleasure and can I hide in your suitcase. I promise I won't be loud! [/COLOR]
Old 04-20-2009, 09:24 PM   #575
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

[COLOR="Blue"]Donna,
I'll post both recipes soon i.e, the flax buns and Cinnamon Bubble Bread. It's 12:22 am and I just got online a little while ago. I did a few moves of each of the new Beginners Calenetics DVD. I like it so far...except my sore left shoulder is really hurting now. I better take 2 Advils so I can sleep.
[/COLOR]
Old 04-21-2009, 04:36 AM   #576
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Scotty
Stats: 174/160.9/140- 5' 7.5" born in 1946
WOE: Enjoying JUDDD's freedom after years of low carb
Start Date: Every day!!! JUDD start 1/13/12
Welcome to "our" thread, pnevers. LInda's right, 1200 is as low as I can ever go with cals-try adding some fat to bring them up a bit.

stats for yest- cals 1521; fat 61% carbs 2%-8 gross; protein 37%

bkfst-2 large eggs, 1oz cheddar, 1T parm; 2C decaf with 1T each light cream
Lunch-chicken leg/thigh and half of a half breast, all with skin
Dinner-5.1oz burger, mayo, 1C salad w/1T champagne vinaigrette; 2oz roast beef
Snack-4 pork rinds-1 slice American cheese melted

Sunday and yest. were very strict 72 days, although maybe the protein is too high???

This morning, stix was white, and my weight is back up to 160.4!!! that means that in the last 3.5 months, I have lost 3.5 net pounds.

Swamiwhitedove1208, I wish your prediction had been true...didn't get a chance to measure, but I don't think I could be down in inches and up in weight...

I am going to keep strict and try to get in some Pilates, but of course there is a cocktail party Thursday....I don't know what I will do...

We are singing the Beethoven Ninth with a neighboring city's symphony for their 60th anniversary-quite a compliment to us to be invited. We know the piece so well-sang it from memory last fall-that it is kinda hard to get our voices around the different interpretation this conductor has. Fun, though..

"If you're afraid of butter, add a little cream" Julia Child

Last edited by Scotty; 04-21-2009 at 05:32 AM..
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 05:35 AM   #577
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: mommy_gates
Stats: 170/154.2/145 (5'6"-57 years old)
WOE: Weight Watchers
Start Date: November 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitedov1208 View Post
[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Well, I'm a 70's girl. My catch phrase is:

SE*, drugs and alcohol! Like wow man, cosmic![/COLOR]

Same here Linda....so funny....good old era
mommy_gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 05:45 AM   #578
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Of course my DD and DGD left so now i'm eating... i do that every time...when they are here i rather spend my time with them..but when they are gone i guess i've got to much time on my hands...i do have an hour a day job but not enough to keep me busy... and hobbies like cross stitching and knitting but but......

Ate way to much yesterday...i'm disappoited in myself...too much food and i did exercise...walked 4 fast miles and did some T-Tapps

1330 cal and 129 carbs ..... i know ,,,i know way to much...went crazy

Had a talk with myself this morning...i should do better today..

Have a great day everyone!!!!!

Gaets
Old 04-21-2009, 05:48 AM   #579
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

2 GREAT RECIPES !

Donna, as far as the cocktail party, eat before you go and if they have those "pigs in a blanket" - eat the hot dog and fling the pastry wrap across the room!

Seriously, it is only water weight - did you drink alot of water since your last social event to flush out the carbs? Remember, it takes 3500 extra calories to equal 1 pound of fat. You didn't eat that much over your normal calories.
Exercise and up your water this week before the event. Take your magnesium at night too (if I didn't already mention it before). It works better.

I excercised last night - Callenetics - a little of each excercise and expected to see a loss but gained 2 lbs on scale. It's just water weight. I keep bouncing 2 lbs like my body is juggling water balloons. I wished they'd pop for good!

Here are the recipes:

Carbquik Recipe: Cinnamon Bubble Loaf (a/k/a Monkey Bread)

2 T - granuated Splenda
1 1/2 t ground cinnamon
2 C Carbquik
1 C Soy Protein Isolate (I used my Vanilla flavored one)
1/2 C Almond Flour
1/2 t Baking Powder
3 T unsalted butter, softened (use unsalted because Carbquik is salty)
1/4 C plus 1 T heavy cream
2 T water
3 T of SF maple syrup
1/2 C Vegetable Glycerine
1 T vanilla extract
1 large egg
2 T unsalted butter, melted

Heat over to 350F.
Grease bottom and sides of loaf pan w/shortening.

Mix 2 T Splenda with cinnamon in a small bowl; set aside

Stir dry ingredients together in large bowl.

Stir liquid ingredients together in small bowl.

Add liquid ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until soft dough forms. If it's too soft to roll into balls, keep adding almond flour until it's workable.

Roll out 1" balls quickly and roll in cinnamon-sugar mixture. The more you let the batter sit, the wetter it becomes. Throw the balls in the loaf pans randomly. Sprinkle top with remaining cinnamon sugar mixture or just add some.

Drizzle the 2 T melted butter over dough balls.

Bake 25-30 mins or until golden brown. Let stand in pan 10 min and remove to wire rack. Eat some right away!

This will get dry pretty quickly so to eat later, I grab a chunk, slab some butter on it and microwave it until soft.

Flax Sandwich Buns

1/2 C plus 1 T Golden Flax Meal
1/4 C plus 2 T Parmesan Cheese (can kind)
1 1/2 t onion powder
3/4 t baking powder
1 1/2 t Splenda (or Stevia)
1/2 - 1 t caraway seeds (optional) - I bet sesame or poppy seeds would be good too)
1 1/2 t dry minced onion
3 eggs
1 1/2 T water
1 1/2 T oil (I use olive oil but you can choose whatever you like)

1) Put dry minced onion in a small bowl and add enough water to moisten.

2) Mix dry ingredients and add the onions, eggs water and oil

3) Pour batter in 6 greased muffin top pans. (I used Wiltons little tart pans)

4) Bake at 325 for 20 mins.

These can be frozen. They are great toasted with butter, cream cheese or peanut butter for breakfast instead of the usual eggs or use them for bread to dip them in your yolks.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:56 AM   #580
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy_gates View Post
Of course my DD and DGD left so now i'm eating... i do that every time...when they are here i rather spend my time with them..but when they are gone i guess i've got to much time on my hands...i do have an hour a day job but not enough to keep me busy... and hobbies like cross stitching and knitting but but......

Ate way to much yesterday...i'm disappoited in myself...too much food and i did exercise...walked 4 fast miles and did some T-Tapps

1330 cal and 129 carbs ..... i know ,,,i know way to much...went crazy

Had a talk with myself this morning...i should do better today..

Have a great day everyone!!!!!

Gaets
[COLOR="Blue"]ehhh, just write it off to empy nest syndrome blues. It was a "mental health day" to adjust. Carbs calm people down. You did exercise and that's great for burning up the carbs! [/COLOR]
Old 04-21-2009, 06:00 AM   #581
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

[COLOR="Blue"]Donna,

Sorry my prediction was wrong! Maybe I got my days mixed up!

The recipes below - don't mean to tempt you but maybe you could sneak those buns in your sequined purse for the cocktail party and make a sandwich that night to stay OP! I did it the other night when I went out to eat with my family. It was just a hamburger joint so I left my cocktail purse at home and used my gigantic leather purse! [/COLOR]
Old 04-21-2009, 06:03 AM   #582
Major LCF Poster!

Linda, I don't think I had a LOT of water, but did drink it. On 4/18 I was 156-now 160. I don't know what to think.

Wondering why I am not in ketosis..

Re: the party, it's right after work, so I won't be able to eat before. I will just TRY to steer clear of the wine, and hope the food isn't worth eating, but I doubt it-it's a corporate thing.

The buns are a lot like the ones I make, except for the extra ingredients for flavor, but I was surprised at the amount of eggs. Mine calls for 1/4C flax , 1/4t baking powder, and one egg, which I think sometimes is even too eggy. I will try them.

Not sure about the monkey bread; I don't have some of the stuff around as a rule.

Gaets-low cals and high carbs-not what we want! But look at how you exercise!! I am impressed!
Old 04-21-2009, 06:17 AM   #583
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Donna, measure yourself anyway - you'd be surprised. You may not notice an inch or so but if you see it on the tape measure, it makes you feel like your efforts aren't futile.

I just measured myself and my hips are down 1/2" and my thighs are down 1". Those are my trouble spots. I don't notice it in my clothes but at least I know it's fat coming off and not just water.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:59 AM   #584
Junior LCF Member

I am 5' 4". I am very tiny boned. You could snap my wrists like a toothpick
Breakfast: 2 extra large eggs, 50 grams of green peppers and onions, 1 ounce of sausage and 1 T of butter.
Lunch: (I split this up into 2 meals) 8 ounces of lettuce, 5 ounce cucumber, 4 slices of nitrate free ham, 1 boiled egg and 1.5 serving of ranch dressing
Dinner: 5-6 ounce pork sirloin, 5-6 ounces of string beans, 1 T Butter
Comes out to around 1200 or so calories and I fell satisfied.
Plus I drink around 180 oz. of water. Maybe more.
I've lost 4 oz. last night.
I was on the Atkins website and they were no help what so ever. Pretty mean if you ask me. There is no way I can eat 1500-1800 calories a day. I'm totally miserable. At 1200, I still get my 13-17 carbs of veggies. My ratios are 68/28/7
I walk 2-3 miles a day.
So I may not be following Atkins to the very "T", but I am comfortable with what I'm doing.

Your thoughts?
Old 04-21-2009, 07:03 AM   #585
Junior LCF Member

Can someone explain to me about Ketosis stix?
Old 04-21-2009, 07:40 AM   #586
Major LCF Poster!

PN, I think your menu sounds good. I don't think string beans are induction though?? If you are full, you are fine. That's what Dr. A said-eat till you are full, but don't stuff. You might want to lower your percentage of carbs to 5, right, girls?

I can't explain the stix, but if they are dark, you are in ketosis, which is where you want to be on low carb-you are burning your own fat for fuel, thus the (usually, for everyone but me!!) quick weight loss.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:25 AM   #587
Major LCF Poster!

So, two of the brokers I work with have invited me to lunch tomorrow (administrative professionals' day). So along with the cocktail party after work on Thu, I am screw*d. I will try, but bread is my downfall...

Last edited by Scotty; 04-21-2009 at 08:44 AM..
Old 04-21-2009, 08:46 AM   #588
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnevers View Post
I am 5' 4". I am very tiny boned. You could snap my wrists like a toothpick
Breakfast: 2 extra large eggs, 50 grams of green peppers and onions, 1 ounce of sausage and 1 T of butter.
Lunch: (I split this up into 2 meals) 8 ounces of lettuce, 5 ounce cucumber, 4 slices of nitrate free ham, 1 boiled egg and 1.5 serving of ranch dressing
Dinner: 5-6 ounce pork sirloin, 5-6 ounces of string beans, 1 T Butter
Comes out to around 1200 or so calories and I fell satisfied.
Plus I drink around 180 oz. of water. Maybe more.
I've lost 4 oz. last night.
I was on the Atkins website and they were no help what so ever. Pretty mean if you ask me. There is no way I can eat 1500-1800 calories a day. I'm totally miserable. At 1200, I still get my 13-17 carbs of veggies. My ratios are 68/28/7
I walk 2-3 miles a day.
So I may not be following Atkins to the very "T", but I am comfortable with what I'm doing.

Your thoughts?
[COLOR="Blue"]IMHO, Atkins allows up to 20 grams of carbs; otherwise, it will be hard to get into Ketosis; therefore, won't be in a fat burning state - slower weight loss.

However, that said, you do walk 2-3 miles a day and I just recently learned through ketogenics website that if you are on a low carb diet (especially Atkins) - you should eat a little more carbs in veggies because when you EXERCISE and there are hardly any carbs to burn - you will burn muscle. Not a good thing. So, I am rethinking things a little. I have noticed when I was on Atkins, my muscles were too weak to exercise. Now that I'm on South Beach and eating more carbs - my muscles are getting better and no leg and foot cramps at night! Your foods looks healthy but if you would like to kick start your metabolism, I would do Atkins 1972 Induction for 1 week; then work in your veggies and still exercise and drink lots of water. [/COLOR]
Old 04-21-2009, 08:58 AM   #589
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
[COLOR="Blue"]IMHO, Atkins allows up to 20 grams of carbs; otherwise, it will be hard to get into Ketosis; therefore, won't be in a fat burning state - slower weight loss.

However, that said, you do walk 2-3 miles a day and I just recently learned through ketogenics website that if you are on a low carb diet (especially Atkins) - you should eat a little more carbs in veggies because when you EXERCISE and there are hardly any carbs to burn - you will burn muscle. Not a good thing. So, I am rethinking things a little. I have noticed when I was on Atkins, my muscles were too weak to exercise. Now that I'm on South Beach and eating more carbs - my muscles are getting better and no leg and foot cramps at night! Your foods looks healthy but if you would like to kick start your metabolism, I would do Atkins 1972 Induction for 1 week; then work in your veggies and still exercise and drink lots of water. [/COLOR]
I do get my 20 carbs a day, with 13-17 of veggies (net carbs)
Can you tell me what foods are eaten in the atkins 1972 induction?
Old 04-21-2009, 09:05 AM   #590
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atkinsgoddess View Post
So, two of the brokers I work with have invited me to lunch tomorrow (administrative professionals' day). So along with the cocktail party after work on Thu, I am screw*d. I will try, but bread is my downfall...
You are quite the socialite and its in the way of dieting!

Hit the salad bar and a Diet soda straight no alcohl and maybe some wings! Forget the fact that you hate salads. Does eating the frankin foods taste better than weight loss? Weight the pros and cons - you are a Libra and are good at that. Another approach would be to just eat what you want and exercise like the devil. If you are going to a regular restaurant, have a chopped beef steak w/veggies. I think it's eat to go out to eat on Atkins and South Beach...except Italian Restaurants - they are a pain unless you order a salad. What type of restaurant are you going to?

Bread is something I can start eating next week but it is my weakness. The flax rolls are my savior so far. I also miss PIZZA and PASTA. I just might give in and buy the low carb pasta and Ragu no sugar sauce.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:32 AM   #591
Major LCF Poster!

You know, you're right, life is getting in the way of dieting-sometimes I'd jsut rather not do anything. How sad..

We will be going to a fancy restaurant, possibly seafood, so of course I COULD stay OP-they are surprising me.... It's just choices, choices...like we used to say in WW-it's not like I can never have these foods again. I just CHOOSE not to have them right now. I hope I can make that choice!!

Booze won't be a problem-I have to work the rest of the afternoon!

I love the flax rolls, too, but on 72 I can't have them...

Last edited by Scotty; 04-21-2009 at 09:35 AM..
Old 04-21-2009, 11:55 AM   #592
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I made a sandwich for boss and I with flax buns I made last night and 1/2 cup of homemade egg drop soup. I had to run in the bathroom twice. My tummy is soooo bloated! Flax has alot of fiber and it is not mixing with my kick butt antibiotic. Remember last week? I don't have tummy pain but I feel like I ate SpongeBob!

I remember one time when I worked for the bank ...these two loan officers I worked for just thought I was too straight laced and took me out for Administors day and ordered me a Manhattan just to get me drunk to see how loose I could get. To their disappointment I did not act different when we came back to work. They kept asking me questions and I answered them. In reality, I was drunk as a skunk and really had to work hard to pull it off! That taught those boys who they were dealing with!
Old 04-21-2009, 12:13 PM   #593
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I just read something that makes sense on what weight you should be...

It's based on your height:

For every "feet" add 20 lbs. For every "inch" - add 5 lbs.

In my case, I am 5' 7" = 5 ft = 100 lbs, 7" = 35 lbs = 135 lbs.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:41 PM   #594
Major LCF Poster!

I read that you should really up your water if you are having flax. It can really bloat you.

I can fake it pretty well, too, in the "I'm not drunk" department...

Yes, I've seen that too. That would put me at 138, which is the lowest I've weighed since HS, and people were telling me I was "too thin". I thought I looked great and actually loved my body!! I was doing Pilates every day too.... not bad for an old broad...
Old 04-21-2009, 01:21 PM   #595
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wouldn't water make the fiber swell even more? Hope not. I am drinking seltzer water and quietly and ladylike belching. Feeling a little better now. I was doing stretch callenetics just now to stretch out my tummy, took Maalox and Advil. Boss wants to go out to eat (working late to make up time) so I am trying to feel hungry. Maybe a couple of drinks may get the hunger going? I don't know if it's the combo of Antibiotics and fiber but when I'm done with those pills and eat the flax, I'll know. Boss's tummy has bloating too - to a lesser extent.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:30 PM   #596
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cola1016
I'm not understanding this whole thing...

I see people eating PB on induction...flaxseed...etc..isn't that a grain? I see things that seem way more lenient than what the induction directions entailed...wth?
cola1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 01:33 PM   #597
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cola1016 View Post
I'm not understanding this whole thing...

I see people eating PB on induction...flaxseed...etc..isn't that a grain? I see things that seem way more lenient than what the induction directions entailed...wth?
Don't blame you for being confused. Some of us are not on Induction but need to lose 10-15 lbs. If you read all the posts on this thread, I have been on Induction a couple of times and recently moved to South Beach which Flax is allowed on Phase I . So, for the record, flax is not ok for Atkins Induction.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:36 PM   #598
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I just read something that makes sense on what weight you should be...

It's based on your height:

For every "feet" add 20 lbs. For every "inch" - add 5 lbs.

In my case, I am 5' 7" = 5 ft = 100 lbs, 7" = 35 lbs = 135 lbs.
Hi there...Nice way to measure things but if so i would have to be at 130 lbs...and that won't happen...i was at one time and the relative thought i was sick....and i wasn't eating heathly either...so i'll keep to today way of eating...just lower the carbs...for me it does the trick and i'm full of energy so that's all that matters

Flax seed does bloat you reaaly bad..make sure you drink lots of water....and stay close to the washroom...very good for eliminations....i still use it once in awhile on different things ...cottage cheese,yogurt and basically on everything you want there's no taste to it.

As long as we are trying ...we are making a difference in our bodies.

Gaets
Old 04-21-2009, 08:35 PM   #599
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy_gates View Post
Hi there...Nice way to measure things but if so i would have to be at 130 lbs...and that won't happen...i was at one time and the relative thought i was sick....and i wasn't eating heathly either...so i'll keep to today way of eating...just lower the carbs...for me it does the trick and i'm full of energy so that's all that matters

Flax seed does bloat you reaaly bad..make sure you drink lots of water....and stay close to the washroom...very good for eliminations....i still use it once in awhile on different things ...cottage cheese,yogurt and basically on everything you want there's no taste to it.

As long as we are trying ...we are making a difference in our bodies.

Gaets
[COLOR="Blue"]Right now my body's saying "WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO ME, LINDA?" Right after I had lunch I went twice and still I felt like a watermelon was inside. It managed to calm down until I went to dinner tonight and now it's bloated again but not as painful. I would take a magnesium but it might mean having to put a sleeping bag in the bathroom and that would not be a restful sleep! [/COLOR]
Old 04-22-2009, 04:32 AM   #600
Major LCF Poster!

Higher cals and carbs yest. due to some nice red wine with dinner. Back down to 158, but still 3 pounds more than I was almost a week ago!!!

cals 2012; fat 48%; carbs 4%; protein 35%

Do you think I am averaging too much protein, and that is converting to carbs or whatever Dr. A said it did? But I'm HUNGRY!! At 9.2 oz of steak last night!!

Linda, hope your tummy is feeling better. I took a "woman's" laxative last night and am having a bit of distress myself. I should just let nature take its course.