Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2009, 05:01 PM   #31
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BlueTopaz
Stats: 160/156/140
WOE: whatever works
Start Date: 10 years ago - Height 5' 7"
Welcome AMonkey to the Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMonkey View Post
Hi there, I have another 10-15 to go. I jumped off the train during the holidays and then again for the last few weeks. So, I'm pretending that I am starting from scratch, and going for the last poundage loss.

I definitely have a hard time drinking enough water. And I noted that although I thought I was eating enough vegetables, I was not. I just went to the store and loaded up on vegetables I like from the Phase 1 acceptable foods list. So today, I hope to make it to the 12 to 15 net carb vegetable count as directed.

Salami is one of my downfalls. I've racked up 4 carbs so far today.

Annette
Hi AMonkey,

Welcome to the board - the orginator and others vacated and you are so welcomed to join.

Salami was my savior 5 yrs ago when I was on Atkins so you wont' hear me critizing you; but I can tell you I'm doing things differently this time because I am 5 yrs wiser. Nitrites are also in salami, sausage, hot dogs and a known bad boy. Take your vitamins, do ******.com or some kind of carb, fats, protein counting website - - - so you can see where your're at in the realm of the Atkins. The model I've read and use on these boards for Atkins is:

Fats: 60-70%
Protein: 20-30%
Carbs: 5% (20 grams)

****** will figure it out for you. Keep in mind that if you don't customize the food according to the food package you are eating (like in say Kraft Cheese) it is not an exact science; however, it's a good baseline to work with.

It's 7:43 p.m. here in Pennsylvania and you are saying you've racked up 4 carbs so far today? What time is it "your time"? You have 16 more carbs to go. What else did you eat? Eat veggies, fats and proteins for the rest of your meals and stay within the 20 grams of carbs and you're fine.

I am trying to drink more water and when I do, I lose quicker and feel better and my skin is better for it not to mention that it FLUSHES the fat and toxins making it easier on my liver. I do love the flavor of coffee and tend to use that as my main drink and then I think, for every cup of coffee I drink, I better drink 8 oz of water. I am on my way.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2009, 07:23 PM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Donna,
Hope you're partying tonight and having fun!

Typo Correction of last word on my last post....dishes in the SINK! LOL

My daily take in is:

B: 1 1/2 Scottish Eggs
L: Baked Chicken w/herbs, broccoli/cauliflower/cheese sauce, Greens only salad w/Blue Cheese Dressing
S: 5 cheedar cheese chips (nuked Kraft cheese cubes)

Fat: 63%, Protein: 34%, Carbs: 3% = 12.4, Total Calories: 1489.
(I did not weigh myself today since I was not at work today and don't have a scale at home. )

I may have a salad later tonight since I've skipped dinner and just had a snack.

I took boss to the doc today for a physical only to hear the news I was dreading. He now has diabetes and is on diabetic pills with the recommendation to have a gastric band. The doc told him no dieting would have helped him and now this is the last resort. He is resistant to all of this. I've been trying to get him to eat healthy for 6 yrs, cook alot of lunches, some dinners too so this is frustrating for me and I feel I've failed him. Apparently, the doc thinks that the fat cells of being obese most of his life is tough to go away with normal dieting. He has 150 lbs to lose. He is 57 yrs old and has been obese since in his 20's.

After the doc's appointment, we ate out for late lunch/dinner and ordering Atkins way was no problem. Tomorrow night, it'll be a fancy restaurant so I'm looking forward to maybe a filet Mignon w/Bernaise sauce, asparagus.
BlueTopaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 05:56 AM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Scotty
Stats: 174/160.9/140- 5' 7.5" born in 1946
WOE: Enjoying JUDDD's freedom after years of low carb
Start Date: Every day!!! JUDD start 1/13/12
Welcome, AMonkey,
We all need all the help and encouragement we can get. If you drink your water really cold and use a straw you can get more down.

Linda, party is tonight...

That Thurmond thing sounds awful!

Let's see-almost 5'8", 160. I guess I am an hour glass, and pretty well proportioned, except for a small bust...I would like to weigh 140, so I don't really belong here...BUT I would be happy at 145.

I've been Atkinsing since 2003, been on induction since Jan 2. (but unfortunately not pure, since I've had about 3-5 "bad" days. Actually, I've tried to stay under 30 since 2003 also, but, again with "bad" days.

I feel like I breezed through menopause, and I think it might have been because I was fat at the time-more estrogen? I don't remember any "power surges" but sometimes I do have to regulate my covers at night..no hormone replacements. Feel great, look pretty good, have the "bones of a 20-year-old" according to my Dr.

Made my breakfast souffle today-fun and tasty. Don't know what the rest of the day holds-have to get my hair "rehabilitated" and make some sort of snack for tonight.

"If you're afraid of butter, add a little cream" Julia Child
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 07:31 AM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Couldn't figure out how to get back in to the last post and edit-my blood type is 0, if I remember correctly.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:53 AM   #35
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Saturday - 2/21/09

Donna,
Oh, ok, we are both partying tonight - cool!

You know I've read the book about BODY TYPING written by 2 ladies (can't remember their names) and did their questionaire thing and it said that hourglass figured woman are GONAD types - that organ that is dominant - these types having abundant estrogen - being hungry towards the end of the day - doesn't need breakfast. Perhaps that explains your breezy no-problem menopause. Hopefully that'll be for me too. The book goes on to explain the idea is to balance out the other organs that make up the other types: Thyroid, Pituitary and something else. It was interesting until I came to the part about the diet...

- avoid meat - especially red meat (ugghhhh)
- have light breakfast w/coffee and a little sugar
- eat heaviest meal at dinner but even their suggested menus for dinner
seemed light for me.

I have the book somewhere in the house but you can look it up on the internet I think by searching Diet by Body Type.

As far as Mike Thurmond, it's the info commercial diet for obesity . He's a body builder and devised the diet for obese people. It's pretty hardcore. I bought the kit actually for my boss and thought I could just try it. He did lose weight and it does reset your metabolism faster even after 6 weeks are up. Before my 6 weeks were up, people were saying I was too thin and my husband was telling me to just do it at lunch w/boss and eat a "normal" dinner. It's funny, I don't remember the feeling of being too thin - it's been 3 yrs since that diet. The eliminations were impossible to enjoy anything you were eating. I don't want to knock any WOE because it works for some people - it just wasn't for me.

Donna - you don't have much to lose and if you stay pure, you will lose what you want on Atkins. You lost 3-4 lbs right off the bat without being pure so that is a good indicator. Do you drink coffee? One way I get myself out of being tired to do anything after work is to drink a cup of regular cofee - then I have about 1 hr of being energetic. It can backfire on me sometimes in that my blood sugar drops and I get ravenous. Everything is a trade off.

Donna, didn't you find WW tedious in counting points and going to meetings? My SIL has done that on and off for 20 yrs and explained the system and I said no way. But then, I'm counting carbs, aren't I? LOL.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:32 AM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Blood Type and Atkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by atkinsgoddess View Post
Couldn't figure out how to get back in to the last post and edit-my blood type is 0, if I remember correctly.
I'm O- (RH factor). The author of eat right for your blood type mentions in his book that Blood Type O's do well on Atkins because we are the oldest blood type from early humanity, hunted and ate mostly animals and don't do well on grains (wheat, oats, barley...)

In contradiction, he recommended Spelt flour for the grain to make breads; however, me doing that did not make me lose weight. Spelt is also wheat . Ezekial bread (whole grain sprouted and also wheat) was allowed and again I ate it but did not lose. So, basically I was at a standstill. So, it may be ok for health reasons but not for losing weight.

As I've mentioned before, sugarfreesheila tried the blood type diet and is blood type A which is "supposed" to be vegetarian and yet she does extremely well on Atkins. So, that blows that theory!
Old 02-21-2009, 11:08 AM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AMonkey
Stats: 158/129/125
WOE: Organic Whole Foods
Start Date: October 2008
Fit Day

Thanks for the advise. I generally try to get natural brand salami, but am weak - so often get the brands that contain nitrates for convenience.

I haven't tried Fit Day yet. I'll check it out.

Annette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitedov1208 View Post
Hi AMonkey,

Welcome to the board - the orginator and others vacated and you are so welcomed to join.

Salami was my savior 5 yrs ago when I was on Atkins so you wont' hear me critizing you; but I can tell you I'm doing things differently this time because I am 5 yrs wiser. Nitrites are also in salami, sausage, hot dogs and a known bad boy. Take your vitamins, do ******.com or some kind of carb, fats, protein counting website - - - so you can see where your're at in the realm of the Atkins. The model I've read and use on these boards for Atkins is:

Fats: 60-70%
Carbs: 5% (20 grams)

****** will figure it out for you. Keep in mind that if you don't customize the food according to the food package you are eating (like in say Kraft Cheese) it is not an exact science; however, it's a good baseline to work with.

It's 7:43 p.m. here in Pennsylvania and you are saying you've racked up 4 carbs so far today? What time is it "your time"? You have 16 more carbs to go. What else did you eat? Eat veggies, fats and proteins for the rest of your meals and stay within the 20 grams of carbs and you're fine.

I am trying to drink more water and when I do, I lose quicker and feel better and my skin is better for it not to mention that it FLUSHES the fat and toxins making it easier on my liver. I do love the flavor of coffee and tend to use that as my main drink and then I think, for every cup of coffee I drink, I better drink 8 oz of water. I am on my way.
AMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 12:33 PM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Annette, I learned in weight watchers the importance of writing down everything you eat. I guess it's not as important in Atkins, but you'd be surprised how the carbs add up.
I use ****** just about every day, even when I screw up.

Linda,
Is that the diet where you put together a picture of what you look like and what you want to look like and a diet is prescribed for you according to that? How tall are you?

When I was at my lowest-138-a couple people told me I was too thin, but I think I looked great, and I loved my body for the first time in my life! I was also pretty buff for an old broad-Pilates, mostly.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:44 PM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: texasrenee
Stats: 154/150.2/135 (5'8")
WOE: WOE=Atkins
Start Date: January 1, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaorlola View Post
Hi Sexyagain! I am in. I would be content at 140 (i'm 5'8) I have been on induction for about a month but recently cheated big time but am back on~ Down from 167 to 149 so far.
Hi lisaorlola--I think you and I are about looking to be the same weight AND....we are the exact height. I started January 5th (originally) on induction. I cheated and re-started on the 13th. When I started January 5th, I weighed 164--the most I have ever weighed in my life. I don't know how many days I was on it, but I am exercising for the first time in a year and I lost down to 151-152 and COULD NOT LOST DOWN TO THE 140'S to save my life!!! Well, I stopped watching the scale and I'm doing VLC--not really induction any more--and I weighed 148. Hooray!!!!!! Anyway, my satisfaction would be 140 pounds also. I am just thrulled to have dropped into the 140's again. I would like to get back to the 130's and I think it is possible for us both--just time and willpower!

All the exercise that I've done, I cannot seem to lose all I want in my stomach. I'm skinny everywhere but there. How about you other folks?? Renee'
texasrenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 01:00 PM   #40
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Annette, I learned in weight watchers the importance of writing down everything you eat. I guess it's not as important in Atkins, but you'd be surprised how the carbs add up.
I use ****** just about every day, even when I screw up.

Linda,
Is that the diet where you put together a picture of what you look like and what you want to look like and a diet is prescribed for you according to that? How tall are you?

When I was at my lowest-138-a couple people told me I was too thin, but I think I looked great, and I loved my body for the first time in my life! I was also pretty buff for an old broad-Pilates, mostly.
Hi Lisaorlola !!!
Renee! Welcome to this thread
Hi Annette : I think ****** is a good way of keeping on track! Go for it!

Hi Donna: To answer you:

I"m 5"7"

Yes, the 6 week body makeover is the same one with matching yourself up with pictures. It's specialized for your body type but you must eat every 3 hrs certain foods for a total of at least 5 meals a day (maybe more if you stay up late) -very restrictive and to avoid repetition, I was cooking constantly and didn't have time to excercise! It's a combo of protein and carbs, fruit that is for your body type. . Tiny portions - everything is measured.

I would be happy with 138 too. Since my 40's, I have only seen 140's. When I was in my 30's - I was 135. And now that I'm close to 50 - I'm seeing 150's !!!

Last edited by BlueTopaz; 02-21-2009 at 01:06 PM.. Reason: correction
Old 02-21-2009, 10:05 PM   #41
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Saturday Night 2/21/09

Donna, how was your night out?

I had a good time at my BF's 50th anniversary and was able to stay on plan eating - -that is...

Sat Night Stats:
B - creamy cheese bakes, 1 beef knockwurst
L - 3 oz Monterrey Pepper Jack cheese, 3 thin slices German bologna
S - 8 oz of Prime Rib, lettuce salad, steamed brocolli and cauliflower

Calories: 1637
Fat: 76%
Protein: 20%
Carbs: 4% = 18 carbs

Wierd thing that happened when I got home from dinner...my left chin bone was tingly and the front of the same calf was kinda feeling numb !?! I posted a question on the board on this.

I've also notice that this week of induction - during the night I am getting foot cramps. I've had this when I was on Atkins 5 yrs ago. Annoying.

I hope the above nuances are just temporary "potassium deficiency". My vitamins don't have potassium in them and sometimes muscle spasms are a sign of it.

If anyone has any suggestions, jump right in!

My ketosis strip read the 1st color up from "no trace". I thought that something was different because during last night while asleep, I sweat a little and it smelled metallic. I could also detect it while grocery shopping today. I better get "Secret" and keep my mouth shut!

Last edited by BlueTopaz; 02-21-2009 at 10:07 PM..
Old 02-23-2009, 06:52 AM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

I wrote a whole long post and it isn't here! AARRRGH!
Anyway, did ok at the party except for the bday cake, which I didn't even want! It was our RHS birthday, so didn't feel I could say no, plus everyone thinks I am think anyway!

Yesterday my cals were over 2000, but carbs were low. I have a real hard time keeping cals in line, plus I'm hungry, which I know you are not supposed to be. Stix read trace/moderate yesterday-haven't weighed since Thu I think-afraid to.

I also sometimes get foot cramps-hubby says may be dehydration.

Linda, did you try the carbalose thibgs? I'm anxious to try it fir BREAD!!!!!!!

Renee, I don't know if you have children, but it seems like the "baby pooch" never goes away. Even at my thinnest, I definitely was not flat. Close, but not flat.

Linda, your measurements look great-are you sure you need to lose more? I haven't taken mine in ages, but I know they are not going down.

So, I am back on the wagon, but you would think I would have lost more weight than 3.5 pounds in almost 2 months...here are my ****** averages since 1/1/09:
cals 1720 fat 58% carbs 7% protein 24%, and then there's the alcohol...those "adult beverages are definitely NOT helping.

So, starting once more...
Have a good day, all.

Last edited by Scotty; 02-23-2009 at 07:09 AM..
Old 02-23-2009, 08:41 AM   #43
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Monday 2/23/09 - Week 1 Induction Complete

Quote:
I wrote a whole long post and it isn't here! AARRRGH!
Anyway, did ok at the party except for the bday cake, which I didn't even want! It was our RHS birthday, so didn't feel I could say no, plus everyone thinks I am think anyway! [COLOR="Red"]Don't let peer pressure make you say "yes" if you want to say "no". If anyone gives me a hard time, I will show my teeth.[/COLOR]

Yesterday my cals were over 2000, but carbs were low. I have a real hard time keeping cals in line, plus I'm hungry, which I know you are not supposed to be. Stix read trace/moderate yesterday-haven't weighed since Thu I think-afraid to.

I also sometimes get foot cramps-hubby says may be dehydration. [COLOR="red"]Ahhh...that makes sense too. I need to drink more water instead of de-caf java. We'll see if that helps - thanks.[/COLOR]

Linda, did you try the carbalose thibgs? I'm anxious to try it fir BREAD!!!!!!!
[COLOR="red"]Yes, I bought 5 lbs of Carbquik but didn't use it yet; also bought the other protein 8000,5000 to make regular bread. Have it for when I'm off induction.[/COLOR]

Renee, I don't know if you have children, but it seems like the "baby pooch" never goes away. Even at my thinnest, I definitely was not flat. Close, but not flat. [COLOR="red"]I 2nd that! [/COLOR]

Linda, your measurements look great-are you sure you need to lose more? [COLOR="red"]My ideal/healthy weight & BMI is between 135-140 - yes, I need to lose more.[/COLOR]

I haven't taken mine in ages, but I know they are not going down. [COLOR="red"]Take them, you may be surprised - before I took my measurements, I didn't think it would have changed, but it did and helps me stay motivated.[/COLOR]

So, I am back on the wagon, but you would think I would have lost more weight than 3.5 pounds in almost 2 months. [COLOR="red"] You only started induction a few days before I did 2/15 or something. Before that, were you loosely following it or on and off?[/COLOR]

...here are my ****** averages since 1/1/09:
cals 1720 fat 58% carbs 7% protein 24%, and then there's the alcohol...those "adult beverages are definitely NOT helping.

So, starting once more...
Have a good day, all.
I ran my averages for 1 week since 2/17 to present:
Fat: 64%
Protein: 31%
Carbs: 4% = 14.8
Calories daily avg - 1245

If 1500 calories is what I need to maintain; then 1245 means I should be losing weight! I wonder if it's the winter/cold - fat storing thats keeping me.
Last fall - I weighed 144. Inches are going - so I'm not going to complain - at least not right now.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:43 PM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

Linda,
I was pretty strict on induction except for the days I wasn't
Actually, I had a couple high carb days, and some high calorie days, but mostly followed...but when I look at my averages, I see that my averages are high, so there's the reason...
Old 02-23-2009, 03:08 PM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: oneoftwo
Stats: 146/120/120 (maintain 118-120max) 5'3.5"
WOE: Atkins/HCG one round to goal/JUDDD to maintain
Can I join in?

Can I join in?

I have been doing low carb for about a year. I am 5'4" and started at 146, which is not too bad but at the top range for my height. The last couple months I have been cheating here and there and am back up to about 135....I would like to get to 125. So I started induction today again. I feel so much better when eating low carb (more energy) so for me it is more then just for weight loss.

My menu for today

B-Coffee,1 egg patty (1 carb) and 2 pieces of pork roll (2 carbs), I used these as my "bread" to hold my egg patty. This is my usual breakfast

S- Pepperonni and cheese stick

L-2 hot dogs and a small salad

S-Celery and blue cheese dressing

D-Sauteed chicken and broc with a spicy sauce (1 TBS = 2 net carbs)

Last edited by oneoftwo; 02-23-2009 at 03:12 PM.. Reason: forgot more food
oneoftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 03:53 PM   #46
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Day 7 - Induction - 2/23/09

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneoftwo View Post
Can I join in?

I have been doing low carb for about a year. I am 5'4" and started at 146, which is not too bad but at the top range for my height. The last couple months I have been cheating here and there and am back up to about 135....I would like to get to 125. So I started induction today again. I feel so much better when eating low carb (more energy) so for me it is more then just for weight loss.

My menu for today

B-Coffee,1 egg patty (1 carb) and 2 pieces of pork roll (2 carbs), I used these as my "bread" to hold my egg patty. This is my usual breakfast

S- Pepperonni and cheese stick

L-2 hot dogs and a small salad

S-Celery and blue cheese dressing

D-Sauteed chicken and broc with a spicy sauce (1 TBS = 2 net carbs)
[COLOR="Navy"]Hi OneofTwo and welcome! Sure you can join! The more, the merrier!

I'm not an expert but I've done Atkins 5 yrs ago and I'm back because low carbs is the way for me. I'll offer my 2 cents if you want it! I'm a gabby writer as AtkinsGoddess can attest. Thanks for posting your menu.

From what I can see, you probably need to up your calories and fats. The body will store fat if you go low carb and don't consume enough calories at least initially. It's like starvation mode - mother nature's way of protecting you in case you stop eating. Track your foods on ******.com (it's free) so you can visually see what you are lacking or loading up too much and most of all to track your carbs. Keep it at 20 carbs or under and you'll lose. The model percentages I've read on the board and go by is:

Fats: 60%
Carbs: 5% = 20 grams
Calories don't count at this stage

Since you've read the book and I assume it's the Revolutionary version - once you feel comfortable to go on OWL - then up your carbs by 5 grams. If you are still losing weight, then up it again 5 grams so on...until you reach your desired weight. By then, you'll know what carb limit your body will be to maintain. Dr. Atkins tells you the 5 gram carb foods.

Say you're tracking your food intake on ******, it's the end of the night and you are hungry. ****** will tell you how many carbs yet to go to reach the 20 grams. Plug in a food and see what the numbers say - if it's too much, delete it and try another food. Basically, if my carbs are at the limit and I am hungry - I grab lunchmeat, leftover meat, pork rinds - anything no carb and drink lots of water. This gets me through the night.

IMHO, if you eat high fat, high protein - - and then high carb - you will gain weight, hands down.

Keep posting and let us know your progress. This is a good website of helpful people.[/COLOR]

Quote:
Linda,
I was pretty strict on induction except for the days I wasn't
Actually, I had a couple high carb days, and some high calorie days, but mostly followed...but when I look at my averages, I see that my averages are high, so there's the reason...
[COLOR="Red"]Donna, you are a RIOT! Glad you have a sense of humor - we all need it to get through these dieting nightmares and food obsessions!

What percentages are high? Your carb average seems fine to me from what you've told me already.

I've been upping my water today. Thank your hubby for the advice...except I may as well sit on the toilet all day at work because I'm in there 2 seconds after I swallow a couple of mouthfuls I'll tell my boss to buy me a laptop computer so I can work on our website in the bathroom.
[/COLOR]
Old 02-24-2009, 07:56 AM   #47
Major LCF Poster!

Welcome, One-I'm interested to know what your calories for the day were-do you know?

A low carb, fairly low cal day yesterday-1504 cals,65% fat, 3% net carbs, 32% protein. I think calories do count at our end of the weight loss spectrum, don't you? Last time I NEVER really counted them and lost. This time I was advised to watch them and lower protein, and now I am always hungry!

You know, I never really went to OWL, because I was pretty content with induction levels, with the occasional "oops"...

Linda, I know you said 10X our weight-is that goal weight or weight now? 1400 calories (goal of 140) isn't very much...

Looking again at my averages since starting-1/2/09-1715 cals, 59% fat, 7% carbs (I don't think that is net, thru ******), 24% protein, and 9% alcohol... Even with that, it seems like I should have lost more than 3 pounds...maybe not...

I am helping with my grandson the next two days while my daughter is in all day meetings; this morning I just had to keep him company, since his aunt was going to take care of him for the day, but tomorrow I have to get both of us ready, and then take him to daycare (he is 16.5 months old) by 8 and be to work at 8:30, AND drive his father's big Mercedes for the first time! I'm most nervous about driving the Mercedes!! Although my daughter doesn't HAVE to work, I was lucky that we made the sacrifices necessary for me not to work as my 2 daughters were growing up, and I am thankful for it. I don't know how they do it!!!

Last edited by Scotty; 02-24-2009 at 08:00 AM..
Old 02-24-2009, 12:06 PM   #48
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Do calories count?

Donna, I have written in bold so I wouldn't miss your questions.

Quote:
Welcome, One-I'm interested to know what your calories for the day were-do you know?

A low carb, fairly low cal day yesterday-1504 cals,65% fat, 3% net carbs, 32% protein. I think calories do count at our end of the weight loss spectrum, don't you? Last time I NEVER really counted them and lost. This time I was advised to watch them and lower protein, and now I am always hungry!

WhiteDov1208: By whom? If you are doing less protein and less calories, then you are not doing Atkins-especially Induction.

WhiteDove1208: I have just re-read the Atkins cookbook this morning and to my boss where Dr A talks about the diet. This diet is about protein, fat, low carbs - not calories; however, because when you lower your carbs, you will not be as hungry and the natural process is that you eat less - later on - thus the calories then go down from the beginning of the induction phase as part of the natural process. Do you have any of his books? Read his book to get re-acquainted and feel confident. THAT'S WHY YOU ARE HUNGRY, silly!

You know, I never really went to OWL, because I was pretty content with induction levels, with the occasional "oops"...

WhiteDov1208: The oops takes you out of ketosis - then you got to restart until you are back in ketosis (Induction). It's hard to get off the merry go round when you have too many oopsie days. That's what happened to me 5 yrs ago and then...I stayed on Induction too long and got too skinny and my husband got scared and made me quit. :::grrrr::: then the weight came back on.

Linda, I know you said 10X our weight-is that goal weight or weight now? 1400 calories (goal of 140) isn't very much... Whitedov1208: X 10% of your current weight.

Whitedov1208: For example, if you are 160 - then in order to maintain 160 lbs (ON OTHER DIETS besides Atkins), the net calories at the end of the day would be 1600 (subtracting out calories burnt off by excercising). Anything less than 1600, the run of the mill diet claims you can lose weight. Those other diets are based on calories in, calories out.

Whitedov1208: Dr. A says tells you NOT to worry about calories expecially while you're on Induction - while your body is converting over from carb burning to fat burning. Otherwise, you will be weak and hungry.

[B]Looking again at my averages since starting-1/2/09-1715 cals, 59% fat, 7% carbs (I don't think that is net, thru ******), WhiteDov1208: What do you mean net?

24% protein, and 9% alcohol... Even with that, it seems like I should have lost more than 3 pounds...maybe not... WhiteDov1208:You are fortunate that you lost at all [COLOR="Red"]because...[/COLOR]The body burns alcohol first - then carbs - then fat - in that order.

Whitedov1208: Alcohol - (with carbs) will stall your weight loss because it has to burn the alcohol 1st, then the carbs. How long does that take? I dunno.

If you drink Zero Carb alcohol - the hard stuff: whiskey, gin, vodka, tequila, then your body will 1st burn the alcohol - then move on to burning your fat once it has burn off your 20 grams of carbs.. On the Atkins website, carb counter - there is a listing of alcohol and carb count.

I am helping with my grandson the next two days while my daughter is in all day meetings; this morning I just had to keep him company, since his aunt was going to take care of him for the day, but tomorrow I have to get both of us ready, and then take him to daycare (he is 16.5 months old) by 8 and be to work at 8:30, AND drive his father's big Mercedes for the first time! I'm most nervous about driving the Mercedes!! Although my daughter doesn't HAVE to work, I was lucky that we made the sacrifices necessary for me not to work as my 2 daughters were growing up, and I am thankful for it. I don't know how they do it!!!
You were very lucky to be able to stay home with your girls!

If I were you, I'd up my protein - not worrying about calories, stay on track with your carbs or lower them to 15 grams. The book says: 15-20 grams.
See if that lowers your appetite, then see if your calories go down naturally (because you are not hungry and eating less) and then see if your pounds don't start melting like butter!
Old 02-24-2009, 01:44 PM   #49
Major LCF Poster!

Linda, I was referring to the 7% carbs. I don't think that is net carbs.
Folks on this board said I was having too much protein-I had asked what am I doing wrong.
I guess it's true that I haven't really had a "clean" 2 week induction over the past 7 weeks. Something always seems to interfere.
I had the book but hubby gave it away!!
Good advice. Thanks. I am fascinated that you have lost so many inches! You must be a real work out fanatic!
Old 02-24-2009, 03:13 PM   #50
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Linda, I was referring to the 7% carbs. I don't think that is net carbs.
Folks on this board said I was having too much protein-I had asked what am I doing wrong.
I guess it's true that I haven't really had a "clean" 2 week induction over the past 7 weeks. Something always seems to interfere.
I had the book but hubby gave it away!!
Good advice. Thanks. I am fascinated that you have lost so many inches! You must be a real work out fanatic!
Work out fanatic? No. That's my problem. I am not losing many lbs. Getting thinner where I am normally thin and perhaps a few inches off my hips-that's it. I got my period this morning but normally gain 5 lbs so having lost 1 lb as of today, I am not complaining.

Daughter lectured me last night on the phone from college about doing "another" diet and said that Atkins is soooo bad and why instead of cooking all this bad diet food, wny don't I just work out! After rationally telling her she knows nothing about Atkins except the rumors she's heard, when she gets to be 50 yrs old, with aches and pains, and she's still muling on the treadmill, I will be 77 yrs old - still on Atkins, sitting, knitting or cooking up sides of beef and weighing the weight she is NOW - what's she gonna say then?

A half hour later, she e-mailed me an excercise problem designed for "me" and she'll be home this weekend to work out with me to show me how.

She takes 1 class on nutrition and that makes her an expert.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:19 PM   #51
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Does calories really matter?

[COLOR="Blue"]Hey Donna,
Talk about diet busters. The last post, I mentioned my daughter giving me flack on my resurrgence to Atkins.

Tonight, my husband asked me to make a double batch of cookies tonight!
I said, "WHHAAAAT? You want ME to make YOU cookies when I'm on a diet???????

Here I sit writing to you as my 1st of 4 cookie sheets are in the oven.

Hubby is right now building a storage cabinet for all my low carb baking supplies !!! no kidding! Luckily, I don't like peanut butter cookies.

While I was beating the peanut butter to death, I got to thinking about your numbers and lbs off and my numbers and inches off. [/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]If the model % are:

Fats: 60%
Carbs: 5% = 20 grams
Calories don't count at this stage[/COLOR]

My average on ****** from 1st day 2/17 to 2/23 is:
Fat: 64%
Protein: 31%
Carbs: 4% = 14.8
Calories daily avg - 1245

Yours is:
Looking again at my averages since starting-1/2/09-1715 cals
59% fat,
7% carbs (I don't think that is net, thru ******),
24% protein
9% alcohol

[COLOR="blue"]You can see that I am eating more fat and protein and less carbs but still my calories are less. So, what foods are we eating differently?

Oh, and about ****** and net carbs...you are right, they are not "netting out for fiber". And, if you read the carbs for say a pack of kraft cheddar cheese, for example, it will say maybe about the same carbs but the fats and calories will be different on ******. You must then "customize" ****** food to what you package says to get the exact numbers you are consuming. The same goes for all pre-packaged foods. ****** will vary in values than the package you are eating. I used to customize my foods but it is too time consuming for me to do it now. Besides, when would I have time to bake my husband cookies?

I cannot remember where I found it on the website about 10% of your current weight = # of calories to "maintain" your weight. I understand now your question about 10% of now weight vs. 10% of desired weight. You have a point. It would be the same, I guess. [/COLOR]

Here is some text from a website to do calories to lose weight I found under About.com.: But, keep in mind the beauty of Atkins is that you don't have to worry about calories. I think you are WW brainwashed!

Question:
How many calories should I eat if I want to lose weight?

Answer:
It's Relative
Technically, there is no magic number of calories we should all eat each day to lose weight. While most people can lose weight eating around 1,500 calories, you can assess your own personal caloric needs with a little math.

Why Estimate Your Caloric Needs?
To estimate how many calories you should consume in order to maintain your weight, you'll need to do a little math. By using a simple formula called the Harris-Benedict principle, you can assess your basal metabolic rate -- also known as your BMR.
(Then, to lose weight, you'll need to cut calories or burn extra calories and shoot for a level lower than the results you get with this formula.)

Calculate Your BMR
Your BMR is the amount of energy your body needs to function. We use about 60% of the calories we consume each day for basic bodily functions such as breathing.
Other factors that influence your BMR are height, weight, age and sex.

Step one is to calculate your BMR with the following formula:

Women:
655 + (4.3 x weight in pounds) + (4.7 x height in inches) - (4.7 x age in years)

Calculate Activity
Step two: In order to incorporate activity into your daily caloric needs, do the following calculation:

If you are sedentary : BMR x 20 percent

If you are lightly active: BMR x 30 percent

If you are moderately active (You exercise most days a week.): BMR x 40 percent

If you are very active (You exercise intensely on a daily basis or for prolonged periods.): BMR x 50 percent

If you are extra active (You do hard labor or are in athletic training.): BMR x 60 percent

Add this number to your BMR.

The result of this formula will be the number of calories you can eat every day and maintain your current weightt. In order to lose weight, you'll need to take in fewer calories than this result.

As you lose weight, you can re-calculate the formula to assess your new BMR.

Here's another website that discusses it in another way:

What It Takes to Lose a Pound
Diet and Weight Loss Tutorial
Unit of Weight Approximate Calories Approximate Kilojoules
Pound 3,500 14,644
Kilogram 7,716 32,284

A pound of body fat equates to approximately 3500 calories. So if you have a calorie deficit of 500 calories (meaning that you burn 500 calories more than you eat each day) you would lose approximately one pound per week:

500 x 7 = 3,500

It's easy to see that a calorie deficit of 1000 calories would mean that you'd lose approximately two pounds per week. And that's a good number to remember, because two pounds a week is commonly accepted as the maximum rate of weight loss that is healthy. Losing weight too quickly has other disadvantages, too, and we'll be discussing this in the next topic.

The goal of your diet and weight loss plan should not be to lose weight, but to lose body fat.
[/COLOR]

[COLOR="blue"]The last batch of cookies are in the oven and I'm going to watch Obama.
Have a great day tomorrow with your grandchildren![/COLOR]
Old 02-25-2009, 10:01 AM   #52
Major LCF Poster!

Linda, hope you were strong re: the cookies. Even I, who am not a sweet eater, feel the pull on the rare occasions when I bake cookies.
It's so interesting that you are losing so many inches. And that, really, is what counts, right?
The carbs are 29.7 (as of today) gross/5.9 fiber=23.8 net
I think I am higher because I've had maybe 3 really high carb days, and days when I have had alcohol. You, on the other hand, have really done the program. That's the reality.

My "on plan" menu is basically-bkfst- a 1.4 jumbo egg frittata with 1 oz. light cream, 1 oz or less cheddar, 1T parmesan, 2T (?) cooked mushrooms and whatever low carb veg I have-this week it is bok choy, cooked in maybe a teaspoon butter. Not sure exactly as i do it for five days.

Lunch-a chicken leg (whole) or two thighs, sometimes a small salad but not usually.

Dinner-about 8oz protein-chicken, fish, pork chop, sometimes a big honkin' steak and "fauxtatoes" which I love or roasted fennel w/ parm and olive oil,which I also love-sometimes green beans or other acceptable veg.

I don't eat that many packaged foods, but when I do, I make a custom food. The other night I had a hormel pork roast and put it in-the "jus" was very salty! I did notice that cream cheese shows .8 I think for an oz on ******, but on the package I think it says 2. Go figure.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:08 AM   #53
Major LCF Poster!

I brought back the Mercedes and now am happily driving my little Chevy, BUT what a gorgeious ride! When I dropped Maxwell at "school" he started crying a bit and holding his arms out to me-break my heart or what?? Although Beth says he sometimes does this and is sure he was fine in a couple minutes.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:57 AM   #54
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Donna,
No, I didn't have any cookies - no temptation because I don't like peanut butter cookies. In the past, pre-Atkins, I wouldn't eat them either. I have to use oat flour to bake for him because he has wheat sensitivities. If I had wanted a baked goods, I would use regular flour. I haven't done that since Christmas.

Last Saturday night at my BF's 50th birthday party, I had (2) rum and diet cokes. On the Atkins site, it says that rum is 0-carbs. So, I didn't even list it on ******. The calories amounted to about 200 for those two drinks per Atkins carb counter.

If you want to drink, choose zero carb to keep those carb numbers lower; however, the calories will go up. During induction, no alcohol drinks are allowed so I have not be "pure" - life happens.

It was funny during the dinner which consisted of my friend's 2 brothers - rough and tough guys - he-men type red necks. When they heard I was on Atkins, they scoffed and said everyone goes off and gains more weight then. I said nothing and ordered the Queen Cut Prime Rib. That thing was like a side of beef! The other women in our group had more delicate things like 2 broiled crab cakes for example. The 2 brothers looked at me digging in and said that's our kind of woman - a beef eater! They ordered wimpy steaks!

Glad you got home in one piece with the Mercedes!
Old 02-25-2009, 07:11 PM   #55
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Having a fit!

Donna/AtkinsGoddess,

I am soooo upset! I got to thinking about how many inches I've loss and thinking ...I sure don't see it. So, I re-measured myself today and compared it to the 1st measuring on 2/17 and it's only 5 1/2 " - not 10!

I know TOM is upon me now... but I feel totally stupid and depressed! Obviously, I better tweak something I'm doing.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:27 PM   #56
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

****** averages from Induction 2/16 to 2/25/09:

Fats: 64%
Protein: 30%
Carbs: 6%
Calories: 1460 (I have no idea why this changed so much from yesterday)

Todays Food

Breakfast: none
Lunch: 2 baked chicken thighs + 1 cup salad greens w/1T Blue Cheese Dressing
Snack: 1 beef stick
Dinner: 3 oz. kielbasi, 1 cup Speg Squash/butter, 1 cup salad greens w/1T Italian Dressing.

****** numbers for today: Fat: 67%, Protein: 20%, Carbs: 18.9 grams. Calories: 1171

Not eating anymore tonight.

Last edited by BlueTopaz; 02-25-2009 at 08:33 PM..
Old 02-26-2009, 04:24 AM   #57
Major LCF Poster!

Linda, I still think your inches loss is great! And with TOM you Know you must be a little bloated. I don't know what you could tweak-low cals, low carbs, high fat....
Are you purposely keeping your cals low? Hmmm, wasn't it YOU who said calories don't count in Atkins and your body might be fooled into going into starvation mode?

My stats from yesterday: cals 1610, fat 39%-gonna up that today if I can-surprisingly difficult, seeing that I like fat...but how do you up fat without getting too many calories?? Less protein, but then I'm hungry-it's a conundrum!!
carbs 7% protein 24%.

My scale says 159 and I am going to take it, but I'll wait till tomorrow to see if it's true..
Old 02-26-2009, 06:20 AM   #58
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Contemplation

Donna,
No, I'm not purposly trying to cut my calories. Last night I was disgusted and decided not to eat after supper. I still believe what Dr. A says in the beginning of Induction not to worry about calories and naturally during this way of eating the calories will reduce itself by the cravings going away. I get the feeling intuitively that he was saying that "eventually" and later on in the process, that calories do count. I'm going to order a used Atkins - I think it's the 2002 version I went by and re-read his book. And probably the 1972 version too. The quotes I said the other day was off of his CookBook which he goes into the diet a little bit.

I was reading the very 1st thread starter in the Atkins '72 whereby he quotes from that book the specifics on the original Atkins diet. The induction is for 1 week but more stoic and practically no carbs, bacon, eggs, sausage, salad-limited amounts, coffee etc. That's what some of the low carbers are doing in their threads called Zero Carbers. The 1972 version of 1 week induction follows by week 2 - adding things like broccoli and low glycemic veggies (that I'm eating now). This actually is the version that started the masses of people saying how unhealthy it is and still people to this day think of Atkins still as the 1972 version, ignoring the fact, that later versions, got healthier.

So, I'm going to order the 1972 +2002 versions and read it verbatim because there is something I'm missing somewhere and maybe confusing one version with another version. My husband's doctor told him to use the 1972 version when he had Candidia. By the way, Candida can halt weight loss big time. Do you know a simple way of finding out if you have Candida overload?

Spit in a glass of water 1st thing in the morning - before brushing your teeth.
If spiney tendrils fall to the bottom within an hour - you have Candida (yeast) overload
If not, you don't.

So, what I"m getting at is...if things don't change in a week or two, then I'm going to do the 1972 version to get rid of the Candida and kick start my metabolism.

I know I have candida overload. Last July and August (thanks to ****** keeping my records) I weighed 144 lbs. Then, October, I got a nasty sinus infection w/bronchitis and was put on antibiotics and steroids and by Xmas - I gained 6 lbs to 150. Steroids are nasty and make me gain big time. When you are on antibiotics, you can be 99.9% sure you have Candida -yeast overload. Then, weight loss is slow. Elimination of foods to get rid of it even on Atkins would be cheese, vinegar, mushrooms and any kind of sugar - alcohol and I think artificial sugars too.

Donna, I don't know how your calories could be up and not your fats. Could it be the "quantity" of meats, the adult drinks? The way my fats are up is that when I cook, I use a fair amount of clarified butter and olive oil. Another way of getting more fats is to snack on pork rinds. 80 calories per 6 rinds is on my bag - but mostly fat. Funny, I have them but haven't ate them. Just used them in my cooking.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:43 AM   #59
Major LCF Poster!

Interesting about the Candida. I'll have to try it (if I remember) although I don't think I have it.
So, even if your cals are low, you're not thinking about them, just eating to satiety. I don't think I ever get to that point!
I eat pork rinds. I used to use them to coat chix, fish, but lately I am eating so simply (lazy) that I don't do it.
Last night hubby and I had....several......glasses of champagne-yum, but now it's gone and there is nothing in the house.

Where are our other inductioneers?? Tell us what's going on!

Oh-I just did the BMR per the formula above-1365.55 calories -I might as well be doing WW!!

Last edited by Scotty; 02-26-2009 at 06:45 AM..
Old 02-26-2009, 08:49 AM   #60
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Donna,
Remember what I have learned on the Blood Type Diet - about O blood types doing better on high protein/low carb? I truly believe that. You said you think you are Type O. To know for sure, call doc's office or donate blood. Weight Watchers w/carbs would not work for me - I would gain and starve.

I gained back the lb. I lost as I weighed myself at work. Boss said you got your monthly and you normally gain 3-5 lbs so stop complaining. He's taking me out to eat to cheer me up. Having compliant food and so will he. His ****** average yesterday was really good! 1200 +/- calories, 15 carbs and I forget the fat. The last 2 days prior to yesterday, he was racking in 2400 calories and 80 grams of carbs! One of the days, he had a medium banana for breakfast and that was 27 grams of carbs and then he had 1 cup of broccoli which was about 7-10 carbs (forget exact figure). So, I showed him that if he would have done without the banana and had 1/2 cup broccolli, he would have been within the 20 grams of carbs. I print him a "report card" every day and send him home with what he's racked up in numbers. Yesterday, I printed off the Atkins carb counter on all the foods. This way he can go home and check the foods and pick within the parameters of what is left in carbs to eat.

So far today I had:
1 cheese egg bake and 2 small Jimmy Dean pre-cooked sausages, 1 cup reg. instant cofee and now working on the water bottle.

Will check in later....