Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2009, 09:55 PM   #511
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AMonkey
Stats: 158/129/125
WOE: Organic Whole Foods
Start Date: October 2008
I guess I'm on the ladder. I've worked though each phase, but I haven't done very well with the add 5 carbs at a time directions. I'm not consistent. It's hard for me to add carbs to my diet without feeling like I am going to go crazy and grab a bag of Cheetos.

I had one of those protein breakfasts from Starbucks today - cage free boiled egg, miniature bagel, cream cheese, two apple slices, 6ish grapes, a few small pieces of cheese. I was going to eat half and save half for tomorrow - but I didn't. So I racked up 28 carbs.

I'm saving the peanut butter for tomorrow. One of my favorite snacks is a few apple slices (skin removed) and a tablespoon of natural peanut butter.

Lunch was a few servings of hot and sour soup - a very simple soup made at local restaurant, a little bit of cabbage, bean sprouts and tofu. I'm not sure what was in the broth part - but it looks like I could have made a huge mistake. Best case scenario we're looking at 8 carbs.

Dinner two small patty size pieces of steak and a few sugar free jellos.

I need some magnesium (get it), so working out was difficult tonight. I only burned 200 calories on the cross trainer and don't know if I'll use the Wii Fit tonight. My husband's doing great with that as are many of my coworkers.

I've got to make my lunch for tomorrow TONIGHT. Planning really is the key!
AMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2009, 08:07 AM   #512
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Scotty
Stats: 174/160.9/140- 5' 7.5" born in 1946
WOE: Enjoying JUDDD's freedom after years of low carb
Start Date: Every day!!! JUDD start 1/13/12
Where is everybody?? I haven't posted in a couple days, either.

Staying low cal, low carb, but had some vodka the other night, and tonight is our anniversary dinner. I am already up a pound a half (I guess from the vodka, even though my cals remained under 1600 that night, and have been 1500 or under Thu and Fri0 Oh, well, I will call it "fluff" and hope for the best for tonight and tomorrow. Hoping to be able to stay low carb tomorrow-brunch at daughter's.

Yest. and today had the one minute flax muffin-I like it and it is filling. wondering if it had an affect on that big gain-doesn't seem likely-my cals were just a bit over 1500 yest. So hard to figure things out.

Did Pilates and upper body workout this morning-YAY.

How is everybody doing??

"If you're afraid of butter, add a little cream" Julia Child
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 09:59 AM   #513
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BlueTopaz
Stats: 160/156/140
WOE: whatever works
Start Date: 10 years ago - Height 5' 7"
Hi Girls,

I wrote a long message yesterday for you guys and it didn't take! Oh well, I'll rewrite....

Yesterdays' doc's appointment for physical exam.

If you recall my total cholesteral on my blood lab results were 213. I am taking a cholesteral pill every day for over a year now and the last results 6 months or more before Atkins was 138. Also, my blood and liver results were high and low some places. Thyroid and Diabetes is normal range. No worries there but what about the other stuff?

My doc noted the cholesteral and I quickly told him that I had been on Atkins for a month when I got the test. He said it's high but not too bad. My HDL (good cholesteral was high and my trigycerides were low). He said it's not unusual for new Atkins dieters to have initial high cholesteral readings but he'll recheck me. Then he looked at the other results and said that my liver is reading out a little funny and my red blood cells are a little larger than normal. He didn't know exactly what that meant and said it seems like you are low in B12. I told him it's funny because right after the test I bought a super B complex vitamins at CVS. He said that he'll recheck me and I am to continue taking those oral pills. I may be one that needs B12 injections but we'll see what the results look like in 3 months.

Then I asked him how he lost weight - he looks great! He said he's been on South Beach Diet and lost 25 lbs and that I should move over to that too. He said that I did a good thing by starting out on Atkins but I need more nuturition, more variety, beans, grains (which give you B12) and that I still will lose weight. I asked him if he excercises while on South Beach and he admitted not much but he still lost weight and it's a healthy diet for the heart and diabetes and he recommends that I switch. I bantered about the beans being high in carbs and he said yes, but they are low in calories, provide nutrients and also process slowly through the body - so that you don't feel hungry and get hypergylcemic. White foods: rice, potatoes, sugar, regular flour are the poisons. He said that if you eat alot of refined carbs - you will be hungry and your body will over produce insulin and then it turns into fat. He said as far as veggies: stay away from corn but carrots are ok. I said carrots are high glycemic and carby but he said that they provide fiber and Vitamin A and C that when combined with other low gylcemic veggies won't impact your blood sugar levels - which is the point.

Then I asked me about my knee and lower back. I was born with a slight spina bifida condition which has had my back stiff since my 20's and it has gotten worse over the years. In the morning, I cannot bend down until I have my coffee and move for a half hour or so. He felt my knee and said all I need to do is exercise. I don't have arthritis but my ligaments are loose and by also strengthening my thigh muscles - that will take away the pain. The pain in my knees come and go so that's the key that there is no injury or arthritis. As far as my lower back - he said it's just something you must live with. 2% of the people were born with that genetic defect and some people never have back pain and others like myself do. He said aerobic excercise will help that. Excercises for the knees would be weights - like ankle weights and low impact floor excercises.

He said that I am really healthy and built good for my age and that if I could just stop smoking and excercise, I would be considered in excellent health.

Yesterday, I bought the South Beach book, the 30 min recipe book and also ankle/wrist weights. Today I will begin the DVD's - probably the dance one today.

It should be interesting to see how South Beach works and I had tried it for a couple of weeks, then gave up. The 1st 2 weeks is like Atkins induction. Not a drop of alcohol either. I have doubts because it's seems as though as soon as I carb up, I will gain. But if I excercise, perhaps, I can stave off the gaining.

What do you guys think?
Old 04-11-2009, 10:31 AM   #514
Major LCF Poster!

Linda, your guy seems very thorough, and seems to know about nutrition, which most Drs. don't. All you have to do is ex. and quit smoking....easy!....

Be interesting to see changes in cholesterol.

I have the South Beach book-I don't thnk I ever did it, though, because Atkins seemed so easy. Of course, I am not losing like I did before, and I, too, am nervous about the different types of food, but it won't hurt anything to try!!
Old 04-11-2009, 12:16 PM   #515
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Donna,
There are guidelines as far as what food you can eat and its basically low fat dairy and low fat meats. No counting calories, no counting carbs, fats and the protein you can eat is unlimited. That's what I got so far in reading the book.

I just made and ate a egg, spinach, red onion, low fat swiss cheese, green pepper quiche (serves 6) so I'll have that for breakfast for the next 5 days as well. I'm using the books same 5 day menu to the T just to get used to the diet. I'm just eating breakfast now - woke up late :blush: So, here's the recommendation for day 1. The menu doesn't say how much of what to eat.

B: Quiche, 1 8oz. glass of V-8 and 1 cup of decaf cofee

Midmorning snack: 1 low fat mozzarella stick

L: Grilled chicken breast over lettuce with 2 T. balsamic vinegar or low sugar italian dressing. Sugar free jello.

Mid Afternoon Snack: Celery stuffed w/1 wedge Laughing Cow Light cheese

Supper: Grilled Salmon w/Rosemary, Steamed Asparagus, tossed salad with greens cucumbers, green peppers, cherry tomatoes w/olive oil and vinegar to taste or 2 T low sugar prepared dressing.

Dessert: Vanilla Ricotta Creme

There are recipes for most of the above in the back of the book.

My husband commented that when the doc sees me and finds out I'm dieting, that he'll laugh and say get off of it. He was wrong. I told the doctor that I had gestation diabetes and I want to watch my weight. The doc said I have a 50% change of getting diabetes later in life because of already having it. He said my lab tests show I am nowhere near diabetes but that I should watch my weight anyway. He asked how much I weighed in High School. I busted up laughing and said 118 - I was skinny. He said that's your true weight. I exclaimed that I could not go that low now and he said no, you're right but I should aim for 130-135 lbs based on my height. That's what I told him my goal was. According to his scale yesterday I was 145!!! My scale said that morning 141 and this morning 141. What to believe? Okay, whether it's 6 lbs or 10 lbs - it doesn't matter. It's not bad. The doc said he wouldn't even bring up my weight except I did.

Then I came home and told my DH and DD and they said SEE, we told you. I said you both never mentioned South Beach. It's funny how much they want to be right. The point is that the doc thinks a diet and excercise is good for me and if left to my own devices to eat whatever I feel like it - I'll gain weight hands down. I need a regiment of a diet to keep me honest. At least he's happier that I'll be eating some grains, fruit and more veggies later ;however DH says that I should also eat the other junk once in a while or else I'll go nuts...like white flour, white rice, white sugar. That's not what you tell someone that wants to be pure.
BlueTopaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 12:19 PM   #516
Senior LCF Member

My daughter did great on South Beach, and two people at work are doing it. I've heard nothing but good things about it.

Personally, I think the key is to eat healthy - keep those poisons you mentioned out of our diets! And we need to match our food and carb intake to our activity level. If we exercise, or increase our activity, we can eat more carbs - I think it's that simple.

Eating "bad" is the norm now. It's interesting that we have to swim against the current social tide to eat "right" and stay healthy. But of course, everyone has their own idea of what is "right."

I'm on the ladder now, so I can eat most "healthy" foods. I had a mini bagel twice this week and grapes and apple slices. Wonderful! Mini bagel should be the standard size. Why are bread servings so gigantic?

Keep us posted on the new plan.

Last edited by AMonkey; 04-11-2009 at 12:27 PM.. Reason: Typo
Old 04-11-2009, 03:03 PM   #517
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Annette,
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I think you're right on with the food choices and the amount of activity we are getting. If we don't excercise, you have to eat perfect and that doesn't always mean you are getting all the nutrients because those foods could be high carb or high calorie.

But if you burn it via excercise, you are getting both the muscle and bone mass up which then burns more calories anyway plus you are getting more of the vitamins and minerals our body needs and less reliance on taking vitamins and minerals.

Not that you can do without supplements, I think everyone needs supplements due to the foods these days not being so nutritious as years ago - but less reliance.

I plan on still taking my high potency multi's, B complex, calcium/magnesium and Ultimate Cleanse as well but hopefully my body won't be so reliant in them for my energy level to be normal. My energy hasn't been the greatest on Atkins even with the vitamins. Hopefully, that'll change. The 1st 2 weeks of this diet is more or less Atkins anyway. Meat, cheese, veggies, SF jello and Ricotta cheese sweetened with artificial sugar and extracts and that's it. Just lower fat. The fat though is what satiates - so instead South Beach insists on snacks in between to counter that.

Both Dr Atkins and Dr. Agaston say that initially on their diets, calories are not to be of concern but later...they are. They both say eat what we tell you to - don't worry about calories now - and your body will adjust and you won't be hungry and ultimately be consuming less calories later on in their diets.

It's calorie in, calorie out at the end of the day.

I'm going to read more of the book now.
Old 04-11-2009, 03:49 PM   #518
Senior LCF Member

The mozarella and laughing cow snacks are meant to satiate your hunger. When I was on a low fat, low calorie eating plan a nutritionist recommended mozarella or almonds as a quick snack to stave off "the munchies."

Best wishes!
Old 04-11-2009, 08:38 PM   #519
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMonkey View Post
The mozarella and laughing cow snacks are meant to satiate your hunger. When I was on a low fat, low calorie eating plan a nutritionist recommended mozarella or almonds as a quick snack to stave off "the munchies."

Best wishes!
Yeah, I read this afternoon in the SB book about nuts and low fat cheese for munchies but the almonds are 10, pistachios are 20 - so you have to limit the nuts because they have fat and believe it or not, sugar.

I just got done doing the DanceFit DVD with the step platform. It's interval training and non stop and she goes fast. I was sweating like a pig and could only do 15 mins of the 40 min tape. I took a cool shower and put on my ankle weights and did some floor leg and sit ups to end my excercise workout and treated myself to a cold glass of water and strawberry SF Jello. Yummm.

I can't wait untiil my Beginners DVD for 50 and over gets here. I will work with that one until I can do more of the DanceFit and the Jillian Michaels one. And take my dog for more walks. This is not easy for me and now I realize how out of shape I am.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:02 PM   #520
Senior LCF Member

I have a step in my FogDog shopping cart. It's a pretty good price and I have a 10% discount. The step is good for so many exercises.

I did the Wii fit again today. It's very good for balance and strength. My husband, who has been working out since his early 20's and has some good size muscles, but gets a pretty good workout with it.

I have a few "Dummies" exercise CDs. They're great 10 minute workouts for each part of your body.

All this can get exasperating - but hang in there!

Annette
Old 04-13-2009, 05:43 AM   #521
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey! Where is everyone?

I hope everyone had a great Easter!

My family and I went Chinese Buffet and I stuck to seafood and fresh stir fried lean meats from the Japanese Sushi bar. Oh, and 3 string beans!
I figured the sauces would be carby so I didn't want to over do it with the veggies. My daughter was having a fit about that and said "MOM, I DON'T THINK YOU'LL GET FAT ON VEGGIES !!!". Jeeesh....what does she know? Carbs, carbs carbs.

By the way...I'm on Day 3 of South Beach and my scale is up 3 lbs. even though I'm doing "some" excercise. Not a happy camper. The only difference between Phase I on South Beach and Atkins is low fat meats, Smart Balance margarine and snacks in between.

So, Donna....I can now join you in hating the scale every day!
Old 04-13-2009, 11:02 AM   #522
Major LCF Poster!

Had two high cal, high carb days-almost 3000 cals and over 100 carbs... My anniversary dinner COULD have been low carb-oysters, lamb chops-, but I chose to have two yummy rolls and dessert. Also wine...

Yesterday was a nice brunch, and wine....so I am sure to be up-I am not going to weigh until later in the week, as I am back to my program, and I don't want to upset myself-for goodness sake, I gain when I am OP!!! What will it be like when I'm not???

Taking the day off, and doing some LC cooking.

No ex. yest. or today. Will do it tomorrow.

I read the SB book again, and decided it's not for me, especially since my larder is loaded with Atkins friendly stuff. I do like the ricotta treat, though.

And yes, Linda, join me in the "I hate the scale" club
Old 04-13-2009, 01:25 PM   #523
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atkinsgoddess View Post
Had two high cal, high carb days-almost 3000 cals and over 100 carbs... My anniversary dinner COULD have been low carb-oysters, lamb chops-, but I chose to have two yummy rolls and dessert. Also wine...

Yesterday was a nice brunch, and wine....so I am sure to be up-I am not going to weigh until later in the week, as I am back to my program, and I don't want to upset myself-for goodness sake, I gain when I am OP!!! What will it be like when I'm not???

Taking the day off, and doing some LC cooking.

No ex. yest. or today. Will do it tomorrow.

I read the SB book again, and decided it's not for me, especially since my larder is loaded with Atkins friendly stuff. I do like the ricotta treat, though.

And yes, Linda, join me in the "I hate the scale" club
Your anniversary dinner was important and a night to enjoy throughly.

What are you making today?

I got my "Beginners DVD for Aerobics" today. Maybe I'll try it out tonight.
The other night with that DanceFit - I was so discouraged. I practically tripped over the step platform just trying to keep up with her!

With me gaining back the 3 lbs in 3 days of SB, that tells me that most of my weight is water weight. I surely didn't eat 10,500 calories in 3 days for it to be fat.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:29 PM   #524
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Donna, as far as me throwing things out. I think that I can still use my high protein bread flour for SB. I gave up my pork rinds to boss today, I bought Smart Balance mayonaise and margarine today. So much for my ghee...sigh. I bought so much veggies that my fridge doesn't have 1/2" extra space. My husband asks me to fetch him stuff because he's afraid of an avalanche!
Old 04-13-2009, 05:22 PM   #525
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Day 3 South Beach Trial Period

[COLOR="Blue"]Hi everyone!

Okay, this is what I ate today and my ******:

B: 2 eggs fried w/olive oil and a dash of parm cheese
Snack: 1 skim milk mozzarella stick
L: 2 romaine lettuce leaves with 5 oz of deli turkey breast and a bit of Smart Balance mayo. 1 celery stick with Laughing Cow cheese wedge. 1 pickle.
S: 1 skim milk mozzarella stick
D: 1 Jenny-O turkey burger on 1 romaine leaf w/Mrs. Dash garlic herb and a bit of Smart Balance mayo, 2 plum totatoes broiled with another Mrs. Dash and a cup of lightly steamed snow peas w/a tsp. of Smart Balance margarine w/flax oil. (the dinner tasted good).

******:
Fat: 48%
Protein: 35%
Carbs: 17% = 30.2
Calories: 707

I don't know if I am allowed to eat any more tonight but I can tell you I will be hungry. I might have to eat ricotta cheese with SF Giardelli cocoa sprinkled and Stevia.

I am now back to my normal appetite pre-Atkins. It's about the fats and satiation. Low fat - more hungry. [/COLOR]
Old 04-13-2009, 06:37 PM   #526
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: mommy_gates
Stats: 170/149.2/143 (5'6"-57 years old)
WOE: Weight Watchers/T-tapp
Start Date: November 2013
Hi Linda.Can't talk much this week my daughter and granddaughter are home for a visit for the week...but i do try to peak on your conversations and it seem your going SB that was my biggest thing...going SB or Atkins...they seem so much alike...but i went Atkins because you were convincing..but now i'm having doubts...but i'll look more into it after the visit leaves even though my son is coming down the week after...

But it sure does gets confusing after a while ..but i believe no matter what... that it's the right choice of food and exercise...and even more important it's the portion that we eat...i find when my daughter is down i always lose at least 5 pounds for the week..don't have time to eat and when i do..i eat cause i'm hungry..not just eat to pass the time or should i say..i eat to live and not i live to eat.

I still try to put in a couple of miles of walking(with Leslie Samson) with my granddaughter looking at me a day. ..you have to put it in..just like brushing your teeth at the end of the day...if it's important enough to you you will ... what's simpler than walking...so easy.

Well good luck in making your decision on a program i know it's not easy...i'll talk to you when my visitor leave...

later..

gaets
mommy_gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 06:44 PM   #527
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy_gates View Post
Hi Linda.Can't talk much this week my daughter and granddaughter are home for a visit for the week...but i do try to peak on your conversations and it seem your going SB that was my biggest thing...going SB or Atkins...they seem so much alike...but i went Atkins because you were convincing..but now i'm having doubts...but i'll look more into it after the visit leaves even though my son is coming down the week after...

But it sure does gets confusing after a while ..but i believe no matter what... that it's the right choice of food and exercise...and even more important it's the portion that we eat...i find when my daughter is down i always lose at least 5 pounds for the week..don't have time to eat and when i do..i eat cause i'm hungry..not just eat to pass the time or should i say..i eat to live and not i live to eat.

I still try to put in a couple of miles of walking(with Leslie Samson) with my granddaughter looking at me a day. ..you have to put it in..just like brushing your teeth at the end of the day...if it's important enough to you you will ... what's simpler than walking...so easy.

Well good luck in making your decision on a program i know it's not easy...i'll talk to you when my visitor leave...

later..

gaets
Thanks Gaets,
It was my doctor that convinced me really and he is on South Beach. He and I have the same issues: borderline high blood pressure, cholesteral and blood type O. He is tall and restless like me and he admitted he doesn't excercise and still lost 25 lbs. With my blood being a little weird on my lab results, he wants me to get more variety in veggies, fruits and beans and then re-test me. He thinks B vitamins may be lacking - don't know why but he seems to think I'll do better with South Beach. After the test, I started on the B complex because of a gut feeling. So, I'll stay on them. It is scary to switch because I really like Atkins WOE and I have done well on it. He said do Atkins but modified - which is basically South Beach. He said I could even do low carb on South Beach most of the time and just eat more fruit and beans. So, I dunno - I'll try it.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:05 PM   #528
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Where is everyone today?

Donna? Are you dissing us?

Well, I gained another lb. on scale today - at least I'm consistent.

It's really weird not knowing what to eat. SB doesn't have much parameters and I keep reading the book trying to find some. Phase I that I'm on is pretty much to eliminate the white foods. No quantities, no measures, no forbidden veggies. He gives you a glycemic index of foods and you decide!
D A N G E R O U S for me. I'm almost afraid to eat now. My carbs are 42 grams today and my calories are 1,004. Way to low. The SB experts are telling me I should be eating 1400 calories at least with 50% protein and lower fat. I don't know how to eat protein without fat unless I drink protein drinks. Even nuts have fats - which I can have some of - but I'm not going there now because I could easily eat a half of a can of salted pecans in one sitting.

Anyway, that's where I'm at - darn if I know!
Old 04-14-2009, 11:27 PM   #529
Senior LCF Member

Linda, I'm having a tough time with OWL. I am so tempted to go back to induction for a jump start - but I know I'm not supposed to. I feel like a carb junkie; I bought some nuts, and once I start - it takes a while to stop.

It sounds like SB is a lot more work, but you can customize the carb count and foods you eat. I'm sure you'll find the right SB menu plan - it's only been a week, if that.

I think the only way I'm going to get to my goal is to increase my cardio and strength training. My nutritionist (I saw her once a few years ago) and now my trainer have advised a minimum 300 calorie burn (approx. 45 minutes) per cardio. I've been using the program on the machine - which gets me in the 200 range. Honestly, my stamina is almost non-existent at times.

Oh! I did find the workout ball to be very helpful with squats. Those are killers! You can find exercise items at a pretty good price at Ross and Marshalls.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:28 AM   #530
Major LCF Poster!

I;m here, struggling along with the rest of you...weighed myself for the first time since Saturday-up to 158.6. i don't think I'll ever lose this weight!!

Linda, that's why I decided not to do SB. I like the choices of Atkins that I can have, even on induction. Of course, I'm not losing...it must be cheats, but for the life of me, except when I PLAN them, like this past weekend (shudder), I am really OP, even with low cals...

Monkey, I don't think I ever got to OWL...I know that's what we're supposed to do-find out what our carbs are that let us eat "normally"-whatever that is for us. I've lost over 65 pounds (used to be 80.....) and I can say that losing is easier than maintaining...of course, losing isn't so easy now, either...

And of course, the demon exercising...

Gaets. I have a WATP tape, but I never even seem to break much of sweat with it. What is your experience. I think it is the one or two mile walk-"express"? Can't remember. It uses stretchy bands.

Yest. was a little higher-made the eggplant casserole-basically moussaka-real good, but I am hungry this morning.
cals 1551; fat 66%; carbs 3% (11.1 gross); 31% protein
no exercise...
Old 04-15-2009, 05:50 AM   #531
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMonkey View Post
Linda, I'm having a tough time with OWL. I am so tempted to go back to induction for a jump start - but I know I'm not supposed to. I feel like a carb junkie; I bought some nuts, and once I start - it takes a while to stop.

It sounds like SB is a lot more work, but you can customize the carb count and foods you eat. I'm sure you'll find the right SB menu plan - it's only been a week, if that.

I think the only way I'm going to get to my goal is to increase my cardio and strength training. My nutritionist (I saw her once a few years ago) and now my trainer have advised a minimum 300 calorie burn (approx. 45 minutes) per cardio. I've been using the program on the machine - which gets me in the 200 range. Honestly, my stamina is almost non-existent at times.

Oh! I did find the workout ball to be very helpful with squats. Those are killers! You can find exercise items at a pretty good price at Ross and Marshalls.
Yeah, that's the dilemma I have. When I'm on Atkins strictly - I lack the stamina and my muscles are weak and I cannot stand to exercise for long. Cardio is one of the main things I need to do but I get pooped out after a few minutes.

I did get advice from the South Beach board that for lower body workout, calenthetics (sp?) is great! I checked out Amazon and they have a few oldies and the reviews are great. The price is like $25 though.

I have a little more energy now with South Beach but my scale is climbing up a pound a day yet my calories are lower.

My daughter has a ball too but I am awkward with it and my butt lands on the floor and the ball goes flying across the room. The step platform video makes me feel like I have 2 left feet and I get close to tripping over it while I'm trying to watch the trainer. So, maybe calenthetic is better for me? I gotta find something to do. It's been rainy here in PA and I can't walk the dog. Yesterday it was misting and I took her for a short brisk walk up the hill to the corner and back and that's it. I got a sore throat yesterday (before the walk) and it'll probably end up with bronchitis. I"m sucking on Halls now and of course it has corn syrup in it and I don't care at this point.

Sorry to vent and thanks for reading! Have a good day!
Old 04-15-2009, 06:00 AM   #532
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atkinsgoddess View Post
I;m here, struggling along with the rest of you...weighed myself for the first time since Saturday-up to 158.6. i don't think I'll ever lose this weight!!

Linda, that's why I decided not to do SB. I like the choices of Atkins that I can have, even on induction. Of course, I'm not losing...it must be cheats, but for the life of me, except when I PLAN them, like this past weekend (shudder), I am really OP, even with low cals...

Monkey, I don't think I ever got to OWL...I know that's what we're supposed to do-find out what our carbs are that let us eat "normally"-whatever that is for us. I've lost over 65 pounds (used to be 80.....) and I can say that losing is easier than maintaining...of course, losing isn't so easy now, either...

And of course, the demon exercising...

Gaets. I have a WATP tape, but I never even seem to break much of sweat with it. What is your experience. I think it is the one or two mile walk-"express"? Can't remember. It uses stretchy bands.

Yest. was a little higher-made the eggplant casserole-basically moussaka-real good, but I am hungry this morning.
cals 1551; fat 66%; carbs 3% (11.1 gross); 31% protein
no exercise...
Glad to see you're back on this board ...I was worried about you.

I thought maybe you bottomed out and gave up. I am not happy at all. My scale is up another pound! Every single day - 1 lb more. How can I be eating so healthy with lean meat, low fat cheese, veggies, water, all these vitamins and supplements, doing "some" excercise and be gaining weight and getting a sinus infection? Why is my immune system down? I never get sick in the Spring. October is the last time I had bronchitis and not a single cold since.

I understand your frustration and I'm there with you. I do know that in the summer time I tend to be able to lose faster so that's my only ray of hope right now.

Well, at least we can vent to each other here when we need to and I appreciate that. I can't vent to my husband because he doesn't want me to be on a diet and as soon as he finds out tonight I'm getting sick, he will say "see? these diets you go on are lowering your immune systems so now why don't you just eat normal and keep your portions down?".

Well, I'll say one positive thing...my thighs are getting a wee bit more firmer and at least I'm still fitting in my jeans.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:40 AM   #533
Major LCF Poster!

No, I will never give up! (Winston Churchill??) P**sed off, though (* mine..)

Linda, chuckled at the thought of you and the ball...but practice makes perfect, and I bet that step thing really uses up the calories.

I can't understand why you are gaining, unless it is your body's getting used to more higher glycemic carbs?? Just a guess. But SOOOO frustrating! I guess we shouldn't complain too much, when so many people have so much more to lose, but when I think of all the time I have been so true to the WOE, I just can't figure it out...

I don't lose any better in the summer, since I am a slug then, too...

Last edited by Scotty; 04-15-2009 at 07:48 AM..
Old 04-15-2009, 10:17 AM   #534
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

No pain, no gain!!!

Donna,
I am not much more active in the summer except I shop more (walking in stores counts as exercise in my book). The heat of the sun gives me "sweat management" and I lose water weight!
Old 04-16-2009, 05:29 AM   #535
Major LCF Poster!

Had a rather high cal/higher carb day yesterday, mostly because of fatty meat...carbs because I had a big helping of fauxtatoes...I think that statistically, my numbers for the day are ok. though...

Can those 2 high cal/ high carb days last weekend screw two months of work??

Today I am up to 159!!! So my net loss since january 2, 2009 is 4 pounds...lovely...

cals 1846; fat 66%; catbs 4% (19.4 gross) protein 31%
Old 04-16-2009, 07:21 AM   #536
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi everyone,

Donna: Just a thought...I remember reading where too much cauliflower impedes the function of the thyroid gland - thus creating a slower metabolism of fat. This is from the Blood Type Diet book. Maybe that's the problem today? I eat cauliflower but limit my amounts because that's always in back of my mind. Maybe eat more salads for the rest of this week and use a low sugar italian or greek dressing - at least "clear" dressing. I seem to do better when I eat salads instead of veggies.

After 4 days and 4 lbs gained since South Beach, I was rewarded this morning with 1 lb. lost. I didn't care how much I ate yesterday. I was kinda rammy with having the sore throat and gaining weight. So, yesterday, I decided to feed the body, I had:

Breakfast: a cup of egg beaters with some chopped red and green bell pepper and 3 Jimmy Dean sausages and a protein coffee drink.

Snack: mozz cheese stick

Lunch: large garden salad with chicken salad on top - soaked in Greek Gazebo dressing.

Supper: My tasty homemade hamburgers on grill w/cheese and a [COLOR="Red"]WHOLE[/COLOR] eggplant on grill - which I brought in, put pizza sauce on top and mozzarella cheese - toaster oven baked it.

I felt my body processing that eggplant. I did not remove the skin. I could visually see it tearing down the purple membrane and it going through my intestines. It felt like either I had that stomach band operation or I had a whole can of metamucil! I was soooo gassy - I know, TMI. I was going to work out but no way. I would have bent over and it would have set off a bomb! I quickly took magnesium so that I could get rid of it but that didn't help. No sign of anything moving this morning either. When I get into work, I will have to hi-jack the toilet. My boss will have to use Burger King's bathroom!

Keep venting Donna. We'll figure out what's wrong with us yet! You are free to critique me too. I welcome it.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:28 AM   #537
Major LCF Poster!

Linda, you are a font of information! Had no idea about the cauliflower. As you know, I HATE salads, but have been eating a small one at lunch with Greek 1 carb dressing. I do notice I get most of my carbs from sources other than veg, since I am eating so few veg. right now, i.e. cheese, cream, eggs...

Oh, stix are completely white-nothing, 0, nada...

What with the-ah-hem-adult beverages-my cal. totals for the last 2 months are over 1600, even though I have been trying to stay 1400 or less for the last few weeks. Amazing how a couple "bad" days can screw with the averages...

No way I could critique the SB diet, since I can barely understand it myself, BUT you certainly look like you are eating in a healthy manner. I can't stand egg beaters used as eggs-make me gag-, but as an ingredient they are fine. Hmmm, a whole eggplant- no wonder, but I bet it was good!

My order for the 72 book and a Stella and Carpender cookbook-along with some CDs, are on the way from Amazon. Prices are good, but I hate that shipping!!! And of course you only get the free if you buy the higher prices directly from Amazon, as opposed to the other sellers.

Last edited by Scotty; 04-16-2009 at 08:39 AM..
Old 04-16-2009, 05:04 PM   #538
Major LCF Poster!

I guess I'll be accountable to myself...

Did Pilates
cals 1302, but I may have something before bed
fat 59% that's on the low side for me lately..
carbs 2% 8.5 gross-probably should have had a salad with dinner, maybe that will be my something else later...yum....
protein 39%

I'm kind of doing 72, but with light cream-about 1.5oz per day
Old 04-17-2009, 04:43 AM   #539
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Donna,
You are doing good! I think you'll find that Atkins 72 will re-start your metabolism for ketosis and losing those pounds. Heck, I lost 6 lbs in 1 week on that.

Feeling punky. Got bronchitis now and am planning on seeing my doc. He's going to think I'm a groupie. Was there last Friday for a physical, ran into him Tues this week when I took my boss there, and now today. 3 x a week!
Embarassing...

Morning: I had a flax 1 min muffin - used cocoa and coconut extract - was good.

Lunch: 3 boneless, skinless chicken thighs and a small salad

Dinner: Large Italian sandwich without the roll and 1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese

Snack: another chocolate flax muffin.

Not doing ******....need a break from that. It's making me obsessive with the carb counts and low calorie counts.

I didn't weigh myself yet today.

Talk to ya later!

Hi Annette, Leisa and Gaetes!
Old 04-17-2009, 05:26 AM   #540
Major LCF Poster!

The scale is down a whopping 10th of a pound
The stix are white
Well, the sun is out and it's going to be 70,,,

Linda, I did a clean week of 72 "phase 1" and I think I lost about a pound...

Your menu sounds good. I really like the muffins Sometimes I make them half almond meal and half flax. Cocoa and coconut sounds real good!

This week I have been pure since Monday, and two days of ex. and still up from the weekend, with a Red Hat meeting tomorrow...I think I'm doomed...