Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2009, 09:45 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: go09
Miracle Noodles?

Has anyone tried the "miracle noodles" I found on-line? they are supposed to be all fiber, zero calories and zero carbs. I might try them after I get off induction.
Today is day #1!
go09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2009, 11:17 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BrianSCohen
Stats: 205/206/210
WOE: Modified Berstein 30-50g/day
Start Date: August 2006
These are shiritaki noodles, made from konjac root. Pure shiritaki noodles are zero carb, there are version made with tofu that contain a few carbs. Bot versions are great low carb substitutes for pasta. Remember to rinse the noodles well before cooking. The texture will be a little different, but a real pleasure that you can have any time you want.

They are cheapest on-line, but are available in most oriental/international food stores and places like whole foods. Konjac powder is also amazing and is very useful as a thickener (like cornstarch).
BrianSCohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 11:43 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Desertthorn
I don't like them, but then I hoped they tasted like noodles and didn't.
Desertthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 08:47 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dooditsglory
Stats: 211preg 185 post/174/145
WOE: Primal lc
Start Date: August 13,2013
I saw this online too.
What exactly do they taste like tofu?
I hate tofu
Dooditsglory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:07 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armystolehim04 View Post
I saw this online too.
What exactly do they taste like tofu?
I hate tofu
When you eat pasta covered with sauce and meatballs, what does the pasta taste like?

These noodles are basically tasteless, just like tofu. They tend to pick up the flavors of what they are served with. If you are a pasta gourmand and have always eaten your pasta plain and al dente, then these noodles alone will probably be a poor substitute. For my purposes, I always serve them with something that dominates the flavor and I am happy. The primary difference is really texture. The noodles are kinda of a cross between a regular semolina based noodle and a rice noodle, if you get my drift.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:41 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nadi namaki
Stats: 162/142/125
WOE: atkins/ induction
Start Date: Jan 08
I dont like them at all....
nadi namaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 07:06 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: go09
[COLOR="Blue"]I think I will love them. I'm not much of a potatoe or rice eater and have always loved rice noodles. It will be nice to have something to put my sauces over. I'm ordering them today. I'll let you know what I think. Thanks BrianSCohen, for the info![/COLOR]
go09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:12 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: evern83
Stats: 5'9" 172.4 (310/172....160goal)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 7,2006
I might ry them with a nice Alfredo sauce or shrimp scampi with lots and lots of garlic! The low-carb store down the street from me just got them in!
evern83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:11 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lainey22
Stats: Start: 164, Restart 150, Goal: 124
WOE: Moderate carbs
Start Date: January 3, 2009; Restart July 5, 2009
I just saw the noodles online this weekend and was wondering about them. I like my linguine with lots of butter sauce and garlic, I wonder how that would taste with the noodles. I guess shrimp and veggies and a lot of spice would work well, too.
Lainey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 03:29 AM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Steve
I just wanted to share that I really enjoy miracle noodles! I tried them (on purpose) for the first time today. I thought they were a great replacement for ASIAN NOODLES. I am very experienced with asian cooking and I swear if you use these noodles in asian dishes you will enjoy them alot more. You should treat them similar to soba noodles. I dont recomend trying to use them as western pasta.

Here is what I do with them. For this its better to use the tofu type.

Open a package of miracle noodle
Use a couple paper towels to dry off the noodles
put them in a bowl (no cooking!)
pour some sesame oil over them
Pour some Furikake over them. (Furikake is flakes of seaweed and sesame seeds. Its in the asian isle of the market. Its < 1 carb per tbsp.)
If u really cant find Furikake then just use coarse ground sea salt.
Some fresh cracked pepper
throw in some chopped green onions if u want
shredded cucumber also goes nicely

Mix everything up with some chopsticks (if u can use em =P)

You now have a authentic tasting, delicious asian treat that has like 2-3 net carbs.

Also try looking up "Somen Salad"
Cooks.com - Recipe - Somen Salad

Just use miracle noodles in place of the somen noodles and I think it might be a winner.

Hope this helps!
Big Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:39 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

That sounds very delicious.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:24 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Steve
Here is another dish these noodles would work well in...

Just find a low carb substitute for teryaki sauce

chop chae recipe | korean recipes

Edit: Here I found 20 asian noodle recipes... Best Asian Noodles Recipes - Top 20 Asian Noodles Recipes

Last edited by Big Steve; 01-15-2009 at 05:25 PM..
Big Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 05:38 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Red
Stats: 5'8 tall, 47 years young, 174/165/145
WOE: ATKINS
Start Date: Started Atkins 2003- Re-started induction 01/03/08
SHRATAKI NOODLES

I just received my shirataki noodles. The Konjac ones (yam noodles).

Does anyone know how to store these and how long of a shelf life they have.?

The only thing on the package is not to freeze. I thought I read somewherer they have a shelf life of one year and can be stored on the pantry shelf but I can't find that article again....
Big Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:18 AM   #14
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: wifey
Stats: goal is size 10
I hate these things. I have a problem with texture and I almost threw up when I started eating them. Like mucusy jello strings.
wifey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 07:41 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red View Post
I just received my shirataki noodles. The Konjac ones (yam noodles).

Does anyone know how to store these and how long of a shelf life they have.?

The only thing on the package is not to freeze. I thought I read somewherer they have a shelf life of one year and can be stored on the pantry shelf but I can't find that article again....
Please refrigerate them. I would not trust them for a year, but would treat them like a fresh pasta. I would not keep them more than a month.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:43 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Amber, that description says it all. I haven't tried them yet, but I know what you mean. If it's like that, I'll pass.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:59 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ourugger
Stats: 184/176.5/157 - 5'3" 30yrs old
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: 7/27/09
Amber, how did you prepare your noodles? The Asian dishes sound wonderful and I'd like to try these down the road. I have serious consistancy issues when it comes to food though -- your description made me throw up a little in my mouth! So I'm curious what you ate them with. Thanks!
ourugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 05:57 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

I tried the Shirataki Spaghetti noodles with no sugar added spaghetti sauce last night and I loved it. I also had the same noodles mixed with butter and garlic and it was great also.....
I am glad I found these....
Old 01-21-2009, 07:16 PM   #19

Gallery: wifey
Stats: goal is size 10
I used them as peanut noodles. I love peanut noodles and almost cried when I found these. Then I was crying as I tossed 3 bags and my dinner in the trash. Everyone has their own tastes so try em you might like them. I just have a horrible problem with textures.
wifey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 07:34 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fatnutritionist
Stats: 328.5/311.5/175
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: January 12th 2009 restart Atkins/March 1st JUDDDD
Not a fan either here. I find them way too chewy and the fishy taste when you open the bag really freaked me out.
fatnutritionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:54 AM   #21

Gallery: yvonne326
Stats: 197/193/160
WOE: Low Carb & Exercise
Start Date: 5/28/14
I have went to a dozen stores in this area including health-food stores and no one has these ... only place i found them was on line and they were quite expensive since they had to be sent via cold-pack (the shipping $$$).

Anyone in south NJ know where I can find them?
yvonne326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:34 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: evern83
Stats: 5'9" 172.4 (310/172....160goal)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 7,2006
I tried these last week in a chix noodle/vegtable soup I made.
When i opened the package, I wanted to vomit. They smelled very fishy and I'm not sure why. I had my husband wash them and then put them in the microwave for 1 min like it said on the package. I wanted to really treck through so I put them in my soup. After cooking them, they don't taste like much. The consistancy is a bit freaky but after doing low-carb for a long time, I can convince my brain of anything!!!
They weren't wonderful but not to horrific either. I think if prepared properly, they could be passable.(if you can get past the smell!)
The guy at the store where I got them said people order them by the CASE!!! and that they run out very quick.
Maybe were just not doing it right?
Old 01-23-2009, 12:40 AM   #23
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SassyMe818
I have the Shirataki Tofu noodles and I LOVE them!!

If you make them right, they taste JUST like regular noodles. I use them for ramen noodles and mostly asian stir frys and different soups. To prepared them, I pour them into a colinder in the sink and drain them since they're packed in water and cooked. Then, get some papertowels and press them on the noodles to get them as dry as possible. Then, get a pan and heat it on the stove on MEDIUM or MEDIUM HIGH and pour the drained noodles in the hot pan and stir them around let them dry out even more. Then, add them to whatever dish I'm making. You can season them however you want. The noodles don't have a flavor. They take on the dominant flavor of whatever you put them in which is what makes them so good! I think they taste the BEST in soups. I made some really good chicken noodle soup with the angel hair noodles, chopped chicken breast, onions, celery, broccoli, and chicken boullion. YUMMYY

The biggest complaint people had was the fact that they were wet and slippery, so that's why I do all of that to make them as dry and as similar to regular noodles as possible.

Best part is they are induction friendly, only about 4g of carbs per bag!
SassyMe818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:03 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

I don't think they have a strong smell, but they do have a slight fishy smell. When I open the package I instantly pour them into a strainer in the sink and rinse them with COLD water. To me, the smell goes right away. I think warm or hot water might make them smell more. After I rinse them for a minute or more, then I rinse them in HOT water to warm them up. I do not heat them any more than that. They are already cooked. I put them on a paper towel and then put another on top and press to dry them. I then put them on my plate and put what ever sauce on them and they are hot by the time I eat them. I don't add them to the sauce or soup because the hubby doesn't want to try them. He is not a low carber...That is ok because there is more for me that way.

Hope this helps... I am new to these noodles also so these are just my trials...

The bags I have are 3 carbs per serving and 3 fiber per serving and 2 to 3 servings in a 9 oz. bag (depending on the type of noodles). I bought a variety pak...

Last edited by Big Red; 01-23-2009 at 07:06 AM.. Reason: Adding some stuff
Old 02-05-2009, 08:15 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

I have had these noodles for a couple weeks now and it seems every time I eat them (only about 4 times for dinner) I drop more weight than when I don't eat them.....
hmmmmmm.... wonder if they really are a miracle noodle!!!!!
Old 03-16-2009, 04:52 PM   #26
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Carbonegativo
omg lol Amber nailed it! A mucusy jello string...I tried the Tofu shirataki angel hair and fettucini and I really had an open mind, I did!...but I couldnt get past the feeling that what I was eating was unnatural and creepy...the taste was ok being it absorbed the sauce I put on it...but the texture really freaked me out!! SO..I ordered the miracle noodles and hoped and prayed that the texture would be a bit different...Oh it was different alright It tasted like translucent rubber jello...I just couldnt deal with it...

Honestly , I wish I could get past it because I do miss pasta but I doubt it! If you are strange about textures then these noddles arent for you...it's worth a try!! you might love them!....sorry for the negative review, what amber wrote cracked me up and I thought I might chime in!

Last edited by Carbonegativo; 03-16-2009 at 04:53 PM.. Reason: spelling
Carbonegativo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 03:13 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eklektos
Stats: 152/137/119? 5' 2.5" tall 24.7 BMI
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: Feb. 02, 2009
I was thinking of looking for these sometime soon, but now...hmmm. I just don't know.

In the past, I've used spaghetti squash when I wanted pasta. It does have some carbs to account for--like the non-starchy vegetables all do--but not too many. It could easily be just one of your veggie servings for the day.

I might stick with the spaghetti squash--or maybe I'll get the nerve to try these once. Not crazy about having anything soy in the house though. Too many little girls in our family, and I don't want to skew their natural estrogen levels. I'd have to go with the yam ones, I think.
eklektos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:28 AM   #28
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Dihjet
Miracle noodles v.s. regular shiratake noodles?

Hi folks. Just joined when I saw this discussion. I was looking to see what the difference is between Miracle Noodles (which I ordered online) and the packages of Shiritake noodles I purchased for something like $1.38 in the asian market. They taste exactly the same.

Miracle noodles show something like 36 grams of carbs and 36 grams of fiber. So that cancels each other out. The ones I purchase in the shop (not the tofu noodles, which have a bit more of carbs) have no carbs and no fiber. Is that different than 36 and 36 = 0 net carbs?

The price is so much less expensive in the asian market and there is no delivery fee. The miracle noodles cost more and you have to order 10 packs (why pay postage for less anyway?)

If it's the same, I wouldn't order those more expensive ones any more. They are actually just copying the asian noodles I believe. Not putting them down, but this is not a new product and the website seems to imply they are the only ones offering this concept.

Anyway, I didn't boil my noodles for 5 minutes first - so I did get a stomach ache; I'll try boiling tonight. Meanwhile, I think they are terrific. My daughter and I are counting carbs and we really miss our noodles. Seriously, once you rinse, (probably boil) and cover with pesto, tomato sauce, or yesterday I had it with a bit of cottage cheese - it's a great way to have noodles.

Maybe I'm just used to Asian noodles, but I was so excited about having SOME kind of pasta. Really, there's no real taste - and the texture is like other cellophane type asian noodles.

I just wonder what Miracle Noodles has that the regular asian brands do not?

Oh - re: fishy taste. You must rinse them with cold water in a collander. That packing liquid needs to go. Once rinsed, there is no fishy or other taste. I think those of you who can't seem to get with the consistency may not be used to Japanese or Chinese noodles. But after all, that's where noodles first came from. It's worth getting yourself used to it because then you can really enjoy the noodles. AND THEY FILL YOU UP like you wouldn't believe.

Thanks for reading.

Dihjet

Last edited by Dihjet; 03-23-2009 at 11:33 AM.. Reason: forgot to ad.....
Dihjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:47 PM   #29
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CuteVillain
I have not tried the tofu version of these noodles but i have tried the Miracle Noodle brand.
The taste. I dont care what anyone says.. there is a smell you cannot rinse completely off. I've washed them from hot to cold, towel dried them and pan roasted them all on one run. The most you can do is get a faint smell. I do agree that these noodles work best with Asian dishes. I have not tried to make them with tomato sauces nor would i even want to. I've tried to make Mac and Cheese. Probably the most disgusting thing i have ever eaten. You really have to find recipes that will hide the smell.. especially for people who have... like my husband says "wolf senses".

I WILL tell you a great way to prepare them. Vietnamese Pho style. That IS delicious and i cannot for the life of me smell or taste the weird fishy smell.

Canned Beef Broth
1 sliced jalapeno
fresh basil (or dried)- i like a lot.
Lean beef thinly sliced (optional)
small tomato quartered
a few sprigs of fresh cilantro- i like a lot
hard boiled egg halved (optional)
Sirracha hot sauce (Asian aisle in supermarket)
Handful fresh Bean sprouts
rinsed and dried Miracle noodles

Bring beef broth to a roaring boil, quickly add remainder ingredients over low heat. Remove from heat. Let it rest in the hot broth for a couple of minutes.
Done.

Let share recipes!
CuteVillain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:56 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CJgetsthin
Stats: 5'1" Post-Preg 160/160/130
WOE: Low Carb, Exercise!
Start Date: February 24 2014
This was one of the first things I bought when starting my Low-Carb journey, and was very sadly dissapointed. I got two different kinds:

Shirataki White Noodles - which didn't even make it into my mouth. The smell from the bag was enough to put me off.

Tofu Shirataki, Angel Hair was slightly better. Cooked with beef, broth, broccoli and oyster sauce. I tried but couldn't gag them down - tasting like eating thin rubber bands.

I'm usually not a picky eater, and it wasn't the flavor (or lack thereof) that threw me off, it was simply the texture.

I never loved pasta that much to begin with so in the end it's just something I've decided to live without - although it's a shame these aren't more tasty to me, because 'filling' 0 Calorie foods are few and far between.
CJgetsthin is offline   Reply With Quote