Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Atkins Induction (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-induction/)
-   -   Why No Nuts on Induction? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-induction/589796-why-no-nuts-induction.html)

ilikecarbs 12-02-2008 09:02 AM

Why No Nuts on Induction?

Just curious if anyone has some good reasons why you can't eat nuts on induction? I love the mixed nuts from the store and it says it is only 4grams carbs per ounce. Thanks

gdlovins360 12-03-2008 01:16 AM

Blue Diamond almonds-love lime 'n chili spiced-are 2 carbs per oz. Found dried Macadamias also 2 or 3 carbs. Some one I know recomended them on low carb and he continues to lose. I think Atkin's says that in order to maximise the change in metabolism, induction should not include nuts. Other posters have indicated it's individual. If you follow Atkin's induction specifically and you don't have any unusual metabolic issues, you will see the most positive results. I used the nuts to help with Thanksgiving and need to lay off for a bit more. Induction isn't that bad. I've found Linda's low carb recipes (she has specific induction recipes and more) to be very helpful.

Songwriter 12-03-2008 03:37 AM

Nuts are low carb but my, you can easily overdo it. It's like eating one potato chip, ain't gonna happen.

ilikecarbs 12-03-2008 06:18 AM

thanks guys for the input.

evern83 12-06-2008 09:16 PM

Nuts can easily stall your weight loss. They are to be intergrated in slowly and in small amounts only after the first 2 weeks. Be careful of these because it is very easy to have more than 1oz!! Once your past the 2 weeks, they make a great snack if you prebag them in serving sizes and they are ready to go!

junkfoodmonkey 12-08-2008 06:00 AM

Also, check all labels, as the carb counts vary a lot between different types of nuts. So almonds and macademia - yay! :cool: Cashews - hell no! :eek:

2big4mysize 12-08-2008 09:41 AM

Dr Atkins based on issues his patients and book readers rwriting him were having shedding weight decided in his last revision of his plan in 2002 DANDR to take full control of the foods eatten during the 14 day induction perion.
no more use a carb counter and choose foods to make your 20 gram carb limit per rule 5 of the old DANDR. Nuts and many other things left induction.

But if you do extended induction then there is a message in the carbohydrates section of DANDR 2002 and Dr Atkins in the nuts section sasy the first thing he tells folk to add back after 14 day induction is an ounce of nuts.
So you can have them on rung 3 of OWL or after 14 days if you do extended induction and have learned portion and craving control during your 14 days.

Be careful though as many folk who thought they didn't have nut issues discover after not having then for a while that some nuts cause them digestive issues and other nuts craving issues.
I can easily eat a whole jar of roasted any kind of nuts even 6 yrs into my Atkins so I buy my nuts raw and toast then just in the amount I'm planning to eat at that time for my portion control issues.

ilikecarbs 12-09-2008 11:08 AM

does this count for sunflower seeds as well?

2big4mysize 12-09-2008 02:13 PM

what Atkins are you doing?
if you are doing 2002 DANDR then no nuts nor seeds only foods on the acceptable food lists are permitted.

if you are doing the 92 Atkins DANDR then you can use a carb counter to pick your 20 grams but folk doing that had problems hence the change in the 2002 edition.

got2getmoving 12-09-2008 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikecarbs (Post 11241039)
does this count for sunflower seeds as well?

Be sure and read all ingredients. I bought some sunflower seeds the other day and it had cornstarch in it! WTH?

ilikecarbs 12-10-2008 08:25 AM

thanks 2big, I did not realize the difference.

chocoholic1 12-10-2008 03:51 PM

I love nuts too! Especially those Kettle Peanuts that planters has now......anyways....they stall me big time, not only because I dont pay enough attention to how many I am eating, but also because of the salt content....afew times though....they have saved me from eating something that is not forgiving :)

Charisma 09-29-2010 06:46 AM

Some say they are some say they not!

Rules of Induction:

No more than 20 grams of Carbs. per day. This includes eating 2 to 3 cups salad vegetables a day or other low carb vegetables. The focus of your meals should be on protein and fats. Examples, Meat, nuts, cheese, olives, cream, sour cream and other low carb foods. After 2 days of the diets, you may want to buy some Lipolysis Testing strips, also known as Ketone Testing Sticks , to test your ketosis level. Do not skip meals. During the Atkins Induction Phase you should not consume fruit, bread, pasta, grains, starchy vegetables, flour, sugar or legumes. It is preferable that you do not eat nuts or seeds during induction. It is preferable that most of the 20 grams of carbs. that you eat during the induction phase come from salad greens and other non starchy vegetables. Never assume that a food is low in carbs. Always check the carb count on the package or use a carbohydrate counter.

This comes directly off the Atkins Rules of Induction site and according to this you are allowed nuts. See above..

camel? 09-29-2010 07:16 PM

Ya, I think they added nuts because they say you can do vegetarian atkins now.

tulipsandroses 10-01-2010 06:22 AM

Nuts are still not allowed during Induction in NANY. Unless you are doing extended induction. Then you can add nuts - keeping in mind that peanuts are not real nuts. They are legumes which should be added much later if you are following the carb ladder. Also many people have portion control issues with nuts. I think its worth it to do initial induction without nuts, if you are doing extended induction then I think its OK to add nuts- almonds,macadamias and other low carb ones. Not peanuts and cashews. I just backed off cashews myself.

2big4mysize 10-01-2010 08:08 AM

don't forget if you do add nuts in Dr Atkins mind nuts were 5 net grams of carbs per ounce except for cashews which were only 1/2 ounce not what the labels say on the package. You can find that in both DANDRs

karenann33 10-01-2010 02:35 PM

My Atkins book says to add an extra serving of veggies or NUTS in induction if you feel weak or ill from induction flu. Oh well that is soooooo me. I can handle 1/4 cup of RAW almonds with no problem during induction. Nothing roasted or salted or I'm in trouble. Those I can NOT stop eating. And yes I hate that some varieties add stuff to it like MSG. WTH?

lovelifemama 10-01-2010 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by junkfoodmonkey (Post 11234929)
Also, check all labels, as the carb counts vary a lot between different types of nuts. So almonds and macademia - yay! :cool: Cashews - hell no! :eek:

that's funny - no wonder why cashews were always my very favorite nut. i am a carb junkie!

2big4mysize 10-03-2010 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karenann33 (Post 13952291)
My Atkins book says to add an extra serving of veggies or NUTS in induction if you feel weak or ill from induction flu. Oh well that is soooooo me. I can handle 1/4 cup of RAW almonds with no problem during induction. Nothing roasted or salted or I'm in trouble. Those I can NOT stop eating. And yes I hate that some varieties add stuff to it like MSG. WTH?

I'm with you on the raw nuts. salted or roasted and it is an entire package!

BTW what book do you have that says eat nuts or extra serving of veggies...?

Cbbeefy8 07-25-2011 12:16 PM

I have gone through the Induction a few times and I always see the best results when I stick to ONLY the acceptable foods list. Its obviously much harder, but I always have immediate success and reach ketosis much faster. No nuts, no Atkins bars, no Atkins shakes, no aspartame, no caffeine. Just FYI Good luck everyone!

Bergamot 07-26-2011 08:37 AM

When you look at the nutrition info, nuts are not really "low-carb". More like "moderate-carbs". Plus, they are a snack food, so it's super easy to overdo it while thinking they're just fine for your diet.

I used to get cans of macadamia nuts on Induction and struggle to limit myself to a handful per day. I was staying below the carb limit, and still losing weight, but the fact that I was struggling wrt any food eventually struck me as the wrong way to be doing things.

These days I don't keep any nuts in the house. If I'm at a party and there are snacks everywhere, I stick to the nuts, but other than that, why stock anything that continually tests your willpower?

84k 08-08-2013 02:58 AM

I know this is dragging up a VERY old thread, but I think the OP was asking WHY?

I would like the answer too, I don't remember there being an explanation in DANDR when I read it.

I'm trying to add more variety to my diet, and whilst i'm doing atkins induction technically, as long as the carbs aren't high and it's a natural real food - i'm open to it.

I want to eat peanut butter again, 100% peanuts, no added anything, 50g to a protein shake.
According to Meridians labelling, that's:
15g protein
5.8g carbs
23g fat
4.2g fibre

that seems reasonable to me, even if I count all carbs, net carbs is only 1.6g

emel 08-08-2013 11:49 AM

Climb the ladder judiciously. No reason to stay on induction if you're ready to branch out. You don't have to raise carbs to expand your food choices (but I think it is fine to experiment with slightly higher carbs. YMMV)

What I did when I was ready to move into OWL foods was to keep my carbs on the low side while adding new foods.
I did 1/3 cup cottage cheese first, and 1/2 oz nuts second.
I stayed at or under 20 carbs by cutting out an ounce of cheese in favor of the nuts, or skipping the trace carbs in my breakfast eggs and having the cottage cheese--- then I chose the least carby veggies for my salad that day to make up the difference.

As to why no nuts on induction, I just listened to part of a podcast with Phinney today. He was talking about alcohol, but the rationale applies. He said that induction is a process to get your body fully adapted to burning fat, particularly internal fat as opposed to fat your are making (from dietary fat intake). He says induction "clears out our metabolic cobwebs".

He said that once you know you're in control, if you want to add a modest amount of alcohol and it is a positive to your lifestyle, it is fine (and I think this would apply to any addition, including nuts).He says we should follow induction carefully to "give yourself the best chance to be lean and strong 10 years from now, not just the first 10 weeks. He said a cool phrase at this point--- giving yourself "stronger metabolic credentials".

Also regarding alcohol in particular (and I'm just putting this in because I think it is interesting, not because it applies to the nut question), he says that alcohol is kind of a secondary thing your body has to worry about and so metabolically it's in the way while you're getting used to changing over to burning fat.

One more thought, 84K--- consider no-sugar added almond butter instead of peanut butter. It's a better carb bargain and can be substituted for PB in recipes quite nicely.

Natalia 08-08-2013 09:29 PM

I tried almond butter for the first time today.

First taste was a little......hardcore. Lol
But it was really great spread on my chocolate OMM. I did a teensy sprinkle of Splenda as this almond butter has no sweetener. Nor anything else. Only ingredient is almonds.

cb83 08-09-2013 08:16 AM

I usually do 1 serving RAW almonds which is 3oz, @ 3 net carbs. Been on induction for almost 5 months. About the only thing I have added. They aren't salted or roasted, as I believe they're much better for you RAW.

84k 08-09-2013 11:15 AM

I only chose peanut butter because I know I like it, and just before starting this WOE I bought 2 x 1kg tubs :laugh: and i've been dying to have it.

Like I said, i'm not bothered about the carbs, I keep below 10 normally anyway, it's high fat and protein are the wins for me.

I think it was mentioned earlier that people stalled on it so Dr. A removed it from acceptable food lists, does anyone know if that's true?

'cos it's got a lower carb count than some foods on the acceptable list, it's high in fat and fairly high in protein.

MerryKate 08-11-2013 12:20 AM

For those wondering why, the reason is that nuts can cause a blood sugar response for some people. The idea of Atkins Induction is to get you down to bare bones for initial weight loss, then add in foods slowly to see to find out what your triggers are so you can keep losing. It's hard, but it does work.

Not using nuts has been the hardest thing for me this time around (my 3rd time on induction :annoyed:). I'm used to low-carb baking, but almond flour is the basis of most of my recipes. It's been worth it to get the ball rolling again, but I'm ready to make some muffins!

Chyrie 08-11-2013 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MerryKate (Post 16554711)
For those wondering why, the reason is that nuts can cause a blood sugar response for some people. The idea of Atkins Induction is to get you down to bare bones for initial weight loss, then add in foods slowly to see to find out what your triggers are so you can keep losing. It's hard, but it does work.

Not using nuts has been the hardest thing for me this time around (my 3rd time on induction :annoyed:). I'm used to low-carb baking, but almond flour is the basis of most of my recipes. It's been worth it to get the ball rolling again, but I'm ready to make some muffins!

I used almond and coconut flour all the time to bake when I was pregnant and testing my BGLs...my 2 hour post meal numbers were often lower then my fasting numbers. I used to make a bagel bread from a grain free blog that had both almond and coconut flour (and flax meal) in it and top it with full fat cream cheese....

yum....almost want to make that again!

MerryKate 08-11-2013 11:25 AM

Ooh...share the bagel recipe? That sounds good! I went with pecan flour and oat fiber pancakes for breakfast today. :yummy:

Qwisp 08-11-2013 05:46 PM

It's only my second day of induction. I was out and about today and found a serving of Salt and vinegar almonds that had 3 net carbs. I am pleased to say they were delicious and helped me get rid of my induction headache (although it's starting to return) I am already showing deep purple on my sticks and I drink plenty of water. I always have a glass with me everywhere I go. I will be so glad once I get through these few days though. Not having carbs is not quite as hard as quitting smoking, but I gotta say last time I did this WOL every time I had a craving I'd go have a smoke, now I just cram more fat in my face :(