Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2008, 05:19 PM   #1
HB = Healthy & Balanced

Gallery: hummingbird11
Stats: 2008: 175/sz 12-14 >>> 2010: 145/sz 8-10 (5'8")
WOE: BFL (Oct/Nov/Dec)
Start Date: March 2008 (LC) >>> Oct 2010 (BFL)
HELPFUL HINTS 4 ANYONE NEW 2 INDUCTION:

[COLOR="DarkRed"]1 – PLEASE NOTE: Atkins is a low-carbohydrate WOE – NOT a high-protein WOE!![/COLOR]

[COLOR="darkred"]2 – Be sure to actually read or re-read Atkins DANDR (the red one) – THIS VERSION:[/COLOR]

Amazon.com: Used and New: Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution, New and Revised Edition

[COLOR="darkred"]3 – Become very familiar with the Information & Recipes contained in these HELPFUL LINKS:[/COLOR]

Atkins - Acceptable Foods

Atkins - Carb Counter

Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes - Induction Menus

Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes - Home

SugarFreeSheila.com / SFS.com - Your ULTIMATE Resource For Atkins / Low Carb Help & Information!

The Lighter Side of Low-Carb

[COLOR="darkred"]4 – Please be careful [/COLOR]with SF Jello; SF Diet Soda; Crystal Light; etc - Aspartame is NOT good for you + it can actually cause some people to stall or slow down in their weight loss which is like shooting yourselves in the foot here. Watch your Maltitol intake too. Also processed/packaged foods are not a great idea. No pork rinds or crap like that. Atkins Bars & Shakes are NOT allowed during Induction - but do whatever you need to do to keep yourself legal - but don’t eat more than one per day - and if you stop losing weight; stop eating them!

Reminder: No nuts, seeds or fruit allowed during Induction. Fresh, mixed berries (high fiber/low sugar) should be the first fruits you incorporate back into your diet. Eat fresh & healthy & organic (shop the perimeter of the grocery store only) always aiming to get the majority of your Carbs from Healthy Veggies. Eat plenty of Eggs and don't be afraid of Good Fats & Proteins. REMEMBER: Atkins is supposed to be a healthy WOE!

[COLOR="DarkRed"]5 – Do a search on Coconut Oil to discover the benefits & buy only Organic, Extra Virgin Coconut Oil.

6 – For much-needed Fiber, learn to incorporate Flax Seed into your baking & casseroles, etc.

7 – For sweet treats try Coconut Bark or Cream Cheese Clouds
[/COLOR]
(do a "search" for these recipes or ask me if you can’t locate them)

[COLOR="DarkRed"]8 – If you have a hard time drinking enough water [/COLOR]- I suggest trying Kool-Aid and adding NATURAL sweeteners such as XyloSweet or Stevia or Whey Low:

Xylosweet Sugar Substitute

NuNaturals

Sugar Made Healthy! Whey Low Natural Sweetener

SF Torani or SF DaVinci syrups are fabulous in Pellegrino and lots of other things too so stock up on those! Of course, they are made w/ Splenda which is not perfect either, but seems to be better than Aspartame.

[COLOR="darkred"]9 – Here are some other interesting links for you to check out:[/COLOR]

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...challenge.html

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ex...il-2008-a.html

[COLOR="DarkRed"]10 – NEVER put anything into your mouth before you know the carb count, ingredients and if it's "legal" or not for your phase of Atkins. You will save a lot of headaches and heartache this way![/COLOR]

Here’s to HEALTHY and LASTING weight loss for ALL of us!
If I can do this, anyone can! I have failed on every “diet” I’ve ever attempted; but I’ve already lost 12 lbs (rather effortlessly) since beginning Atkins Induction on 03/24/08.

XO,
Hummingbird

(Texan living in California since 1990; moving to Hawaii in 2012)

EXERCISE
M/R = yoga or pilates or callanetics
W/F = UB strength training (no LB)
T/Sat = cardio (elliptical or treadmill)
Sun = outdoor farm chores!!!!!
+ daily back/body stretches

Last edited by hummingbird11; 04-22-2008 at 06:11 PM..
hummingbird11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2008, 05:44 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Stats: 224/198.6/150
WOE: Atkins & Exercise
Start Date: Start Date: October 17,2011
Thanks!
DolphinsOnMyMind777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 05:59 PM   #3
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: 2big4mysize
Stats: 313 to current goalie 169-173
WOE: Atkins 2002
Start Date: june 1 2002
I'd add never put anything in your mouth before you know the carb count ingredients and is it legal for your phase of Atkins.

I got to disagree with that number 4 reminder as more induction veggies, fresh dairy, and nuts and seeds, come on the OWL Carbohydrate ladder before berries for a reason.
2big4mysize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 06:13 PM   #4
HB = Healthy & Balanced

Aloha Jamie! I remember you! From the "dead thread" last month!

How are you? You my not believe this, but I was JUST thinking about you TODAY! I very clearly remember that Avatar you had before of a girl puckering up in a sexy kiss - was that you? That photo was in my head today and now a msg from you! Awesome! And cute doggy!

Good for you for getting BACK ON TRACK - YOU CAN DO THIS!!

XO,
HB

Last edited by hummingbird11; 04-22-2008 at 06:17 PM..
Old 04-22-2008, 06:15 PM   #5
HB = Healthy & Balanced

Hey 2Big! Thanks for the pointers - I have corrected as suggested!
Hey is that a photo of Hawaii at the top of your blog?? Looks very familiar!!

XO,
HB

Last edited by hummingbird11; 04-22-2008 at 06:19 PM..
Old 04-22-2008, 06:20 PM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

I have no idea where it is from it was the only stock water pic they had on WP.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:17 PM   #7

Gallery: Jean@125
Stats: 166/150.8/ ? 5'2
WOE: hanging on for dear life
What's wrong with pork rinds. Dr. A suggests them at meals in Atkins 72. They make a great crispy coating on chicken and a great crouton substitute.
Jean@125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 07:34 PM   #8
HB = Healthy & Balanced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean@125 View Post
What's wrong with pork rinds. Dr. A suggests them at meals in Atkins 72. They make a great crispy coating on chicken and a great crouton substitute.
Along with other cured meat items, Pork Rinds contain nitrites & nitrates, which are known carcinogens. Just because something is "carb-free" does not mean that it is "healthy"!

It's healthiest to always strive to consume uncured, nitrite/nitrate-free meats, whenever possible.

Grated Parmesan Cheese makes a great crispy coating + Parmeson Croutons are delicious on salad!
(let me know if you'd like to know how to make them)

AND from Wikipedia:

Though generally considered junk food and among the unhealthiest of foods, there is some interest in pork rinds as an alternative snack food due to the Atkins diet, since pork rinds contain no carbohydrates (unless flavored). They are, however, high in fat and sodium. The fat content of pork rinds is similar to that of potato chips, but the amount of sodium in a serving of pork rinds is nearly five times that of a serving of potato chips.

For example, a 14 gram serving of Utz Regular Pork Rinds contains 5 g of fat and 230 mg of sodium, whereas the same serving of Utz Regular Potato Chips contains 4.5 g of fat and 47 mg of sodium. Pork rinds generally contain 8 g of protein in a 14 g serving, more than most foods except dried meats such as jerky. The fat content of jerky, however, is much lower. Microwaveable pork rinds are lower in fat than the deep-fried variety, with only 2 g of fat per 14 g serving and no saturated fat, although the sodium level may be as high as 350 mg per serving. According to the logic of the Atkin's diet, the high protein content of pork rinds makes them more nutritious than some low-fat snack foods, such as fat-free pretzels.

Pork rind - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I hope this explanation was helpful. Healthy choices lead to healthy bodies!

Last edited by hummingbird11; 04-22-2008 at 07:43 PM..
Old 04-22-2008, 07:41 PM   #9

Gallery: Jean@125
Stats: 166/150.8/ ? 5'2
WOE: hanging on for dear life
I can't believe Dr. A would suggest we eat something that was unhealthy. He did say to avoid lunchmeats, hot dogs and other foods that contain nitrates but specifically recommended pork rinds as part of his plan. I don't have them often but they are good sometimes when I need a crunchy compliment to a meal.
Jean@125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 07:55 PM   #10
HB = Healthy & Balanced

Well, all I can say is that perhaps way back in 1972, they were not considered unhealthy??

Regardless, it's no secret that high sodium is unhealthy and, among other things, can cause high blood pressure and water weight retention - so eat at your own risk!!
Old 04-22-2008, 08:25 PM   #11
Big Yapper!!!!

actually nitrites are a needed for life chemical in the human body which assist us in low oxygen times like when muscles are working hard and during heart attacks and strokes.
In the old days it was thought they were inhert chemicals in the body but now scientists know better and are actually trying to figure out ways to get them in us quickly should we have a low oxygen situation.

I'd love to see what Dr Atkins had to say about them now knowing they are healthy for us.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:35 PM   #12
HB = Healthy & Balanced

Hi 2Big,

Thanks but I think you're confusing the body's naturally produced nitrites with the chemical process of meat curing.

Nitrates (also called Nitrites) is a preservative and used to set color in food. Nitrates and Nitrites form Nitrosamines in the body. Nitrosamines are carcinogenic.

On top of that, the very high heat used to cook many processed meats like sausage and bacon, assist in the formation of Nitrosamines.

Studies indicate that people who eat a lot of processed meats with nitrates (including hot dogs, bacon, cold cuts, sausages and pork rinds) are at a much higher risk for pancreatic cancer.

So again, eat at your own risk, but please be armed with the facts. Meanwhile, there are so many healthy meat options available to us now.

Nitrite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sodium nitrite is used for the curing of meat because it prevents bacterial growth and, in a reaction with the meat's myoglobin, gives the product a desirable dark red color. Because of the toxicity of nitrite (the lethal dose of nitrite for humans is about 22 mg per kg body weight), the maximum allowed nitrite concentration in meat products is 200 ppm. Under certain conditions, especially during cooking, nitrites in meat can react with degradation products of amino acids, forming nitrosamines, which are known carcinogens.

Last edited by hummingbird11; 04-22-2008 at 08:37 PM..
Old 04-22-2008, 08:59 PM   #13
Big Yapper!!!!

actually no doctors are now studying use the chemicals in hotdogs (which are also naturally occurring in those leafy greens we are eating in induction) as life saving for low oxygen events since it was discovered that the nitrites in muscles went down during vigorous exercise. There are studies underway already testing an inhaled gas version for treating medical conditions and to see if dietary sources effect blood flow and/or pressure. Seems hemogolbin reacts in low oxygen to make NO gas from nitrites. Facinating stuff being discovered every day.

Notice nobody is objecting to eating the naturally occurring ones in the leafy greens as a cancer causer either.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:09 PM   #14
HB = Healthy & Balanced

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big4mysize View Post
actually no doctors are now studying use the chemicals in hotdogs (which are also naturally occurring in those leafy greens we are eating in induction) as life saving for low oxygen events since it was discovered that the nitrites in muscles went down during vigorous exercise. There are studies underway already testing an inhaled gas version for treating medical conditions and to see if dietary sources effect blood flow and/or pressure. Seems hemogolbin reacts in low oxygen to make NO gas from nitrites. Facinating stuff being discovered every day.

Notice nobody is objecting to eating the naturally occurring ones in the leafy greens as a cancer causer either.
Again, it's not the actual nitrites - it's the chemical process during cooking/curing that causes Nitrosamines which are carcinogenic.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:49 PM   #15
Big Yapper!!!!

actually Nitrosamines can be and are formed in the human stomach from the nitrates and nitrites found naturally in foods like fresh veggies at a rate much higher then what is found in cured meats. Nitrite in Meat

with the exception of welldone, overcooked, or burnt bacon very little Nitrosamines is found in cured meats any more and the amount in that method of cooked bacon has been greatly reduced by the inclusion of ascorbic acid (vitamin C) or erythorbic acid to bacon cure.

something not mentioned in the Wiki article sited above is the high temp above 350F needed for cooking that bacon to create them. Microwaving bacon doesn't cause that effect. Nitrite in Meat .

Seems the food industry around the world had done a remarkable job lowering the amount of Nitrosamines in the food we consume from cured meats to beer once they became aware of the issues something the sites hollering about cancer causing fail to mention
Old 04-22-2008, 11:07 PM   #16
HB = Healthy & Balanced

Wow - this is all actually very interesting to me and I definitely want to learn more about it. Where did you learn all of this? Everything I've ever read, including Atkins & Schwarzbein, warn to stay away from nitrites/nitrates.

Regardless, I will never be convinced that Pork Rinds are a healthy choice! Besides being a cured meat, they are chock full of sodium and fat; not the good fat either! Nothing more than carb-free potato chips. Just because something is carb-free does not make it a healthy choice.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:52 PM   #17
Big Yapper!!!!

my pork rinds are nothing more then pork skin and salt no nitrates they are actually better then potato chips because they are protein and some fat.

I gave you a link about the food sources and here is another discussing the changes over the yrs Nitrosamines and Cancer

the nitrites for health was written up yrs ago in several medical journals and was on the news. here is NYTIMES link as i can't find the one I wasn't to give you. it was talking with one of the docs doing the study on folk with heart conditons and he was joking about turning the patients into walking hotdogs.
Old 04-23-2008, 05:25 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Stats: 224/198.6/150
WOE: Atkins & Exercise
Start Date: Start Date: October 17,2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird11 View Post
Aloha Jamie! I remember you! From the "dead thread" last month!

How are you? You my not believe this, but I was JUST thinking about you TODAY! I very clearly remember that Avatar you had before of a girl puckering up in a sexy kiss - was that you? That photo was in my head today and now a msg from you! Awesome! And cute doggy!

Good for you for getting BACK ON TRACK - YOU CAN DO THIS!!

XO,
HB

[COLOR=darkorchid]Yep, that's me!!![/COLOR]
DolphinsOnMyMind777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 12:50 PM   #19
HB = Healthy & Balanced

YAY!! YOU PUT YOUR PICTURE BACK!!
Old 04-26-2008, 12:51 PM   #20
HB = Healthy & Balanced

SELF LOVE

I think we could ALL use some help in this area from time to time. I also think emotional eating is connected to this lack of self love in some deep way (for me). Here are some interesting links on the topic of self love:

How to Love Yourself

Self-Love - Tips For How to Love Yourself

How to Love Yourself - wikiHow

How to Love Yourself on Yahoo! Health

How to Love Yourself

XO,
HB
Old 04-27-2008, 10:36 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DarleenMB
Stats: 62yo, 5' 9.5'; 210/181.0/145
WOE: hcg then on to Protein Power
Start Date: April 24 2009
Quote:
Along with other cured meat items, Pork Rinds contain nitrites & nitrates, which are known carcinogens. Just because something is "carb-free" does not mean that it is "healthy"!
)
I beg to disagree with you but MY pork rinds packages ALL say "Ingredients: pork SKIN, salt." period.

Nitrates are used to CURE meats. Pork rinds are the skin of the hogs which is is deep fried.

Also MY packages of pork rinds state there is only 5G of fat per serving. I don't think that's HIGH fat as I can only eat about one serving before I'm full.

Last edited by DarleenMB; 04-27-2008 at 10:37 AM..
DarleenMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 10:40 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Well, all I can say is that perhaps way back in 1972, they were not considered unhealthy??

Regardless, it's no secret that high sodium is unhealthy and, among other things, can cause high blood pressure and water weight retention - so eat at your own risk!!
Ah another Vampire MYTH. Salt does not cause high blood pressure. Yes you may retain water if you eat too much salt for your body but that's because your body strives to maintain the status quo and when you ingest additonal salt your body simply hangs onto water to keep the salt content of your blood where it's supposed to be. It'll come off when you go back to normal levels of salt intake.

Read Gary Taubes's GOOD CALORIES BAD CALORIES. It's VERY educational.
Old 04-27-2008, 02:16 PM   #23
HB = Healthy & Balanced

Pork Rinds

OK, I stand corrected re: nitrites/nitrates in pork rinds. Apparently there aren’t any, as they are deep fried, not cured. Thanks for the info, good to know! I'm not sure if "salt as a contributing factor to high blood pressure" is a vampire myth or not, but that book sure sounds interesting and I will add it to my ever-growing reading list - thanks!

But, with all of that said, I am still not convinced that the consumption of the Deep Fried Skin of a Pig (with the only other two ingredients being high sodium & relatively high fat) is healthy or even nutritious in the slightest way.

To each his/her own but those pork rinds are definitely NOT for me!
Old 04-27-2008, 06:48 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
OK, I stand corrected re: nitrites/nitrates in pork rinds. Apparently there aren’t any, as they are deep fried, not cured. Thanks for the info, good to know! I'm not sure if "salt as a contributing factor to high blood pressure" is a vampire myth or not, but that book sure sounds interesting and I will add it to my ever-growing reading list - thanks!

But, with all of that said, I am still not convinced that the consumption of the Deep Fried Skin of a Pig (with the only other two ingredients being high sodium & relatively high fat) is healthy or even nutritious in the slightest way.

To each his/her own but those pork rinds are definitely NOT for me!
Ah but they have protein in 'em plus they're nice and crunchy. My cat and my dog both love 'em too!
Old 04-27-2008, 09:08 PM   #25
Big Yapper!!!!

actually if you read the lable they are mostly protein most of the fat renders out in the cooking in the American version.

as to the high blood pressure issues one might want to check out a condition called salt retaining.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:18 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: emslight
Stats: 160/Goal:130-133 (5ft 6)
WOE: Very High Fat/Yeast Free
Start Date: 8 April 2008
Quote:
[COLOR="DarkRed"]1 – PLEASE NOTE: Atkins is a low-carbohydrate WOE – NOT a high-protein WOE!![/COLOR]

[COLOR="darkred"]2 – Be sure to actually read or re-read Atkins DANDR (the red one) – THIS VERSION:[/COLOR]

Amazon.com: Used and New: Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution, New and Revised Edition

[COLOR="darkred"]3 – Become very familiar with the Information & Recipes contained in these HELPFUL LINKS:[/COLOR]

Atkins - Acceptable Foods

Atkins - Carb Counter

Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes - Induction Menus

Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes - Home

SugarFreeSheila.com / SFS.com - Your ULTIMATE Resource For Atkins / Low Carb Help & Information!

The Lighter Side of Low-Carb

[COLOR="darkred"]4 – Please be careful [/COLOR]with SF Jello; SF Diet Soda; Crystal Light; etc - Aspartame is NOT good for you + it can actually cause some people to stall or slow down in their weight loss which is like shooting yourselves in the foot here. Watch your Maltitol intake too. Also processed/packaged foods are not a great idea. No pork rinds or crap like that. Atkins Bars & Shakes are NOT allowed during Induction - but do whatever you need to do to keep yourself legal - but don’t eat more than one per day - and if you stop losing weight; stop eating them!

Reminder: No nuts, seeds or fruit allowed during Induction. Fresh, mixed berries (high fiber/low sugar) should be the first fruits you incorporate back into your diet. Eat fresh & healthy & organic (shop the perimeter of the grocery store only) always aiming to get the majority of your Carbs from Healthy Veggies. Eat plenty of Eggs and don't be afraid of Good Fats & Proteins. REMEMBER: Atkins is supposed to be a healthy WOE!

[COLOR="DarkRed"]5 – Do a search on Coconut Oil to discover the benefits & buy only Organic, Extra Virgin Coconut Oil.

6 – For much-needed Fiber, learn to incorporate Flax Seed into your baking & casseroles, etc.

7 – For sweet treats try Coconut Bark or Cream Cheese Clouds
[/COLOR]
(do a "search" for these recipes or ask me if you can’t locate them)

[COLOR="DarkRed"]8 – If you have a hard time drinking enough water [/COLOR]- I suggest trying Kool-Aid and adding NATURAL sweeteners such as XyloSweet or Stevia or Whey Low:

Xylosweet Sugar Substitute

NuNaturals

Sugar Made Healthy! Whey Low Natural Sweetener

SF Torani or SF DaVinci syrups are fabulous in Pellegrino and lots of other things too so stock up on those! Of course, they are made w/ Splenda which is not perfect either, but seems to be better than Aspartame.

[COLOR="darkred"]9 – Here are some other interesting links for you to check out:[/COLOR]

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...challenge.html

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ex...il-2008-a.html

[COLOR="DarkRed"]10 – NEVER put anything into your mouth before you know the carb count, ingredients and if it's "legal" or not for your phase of Atkins. You will save a lot of headaches and heartache this way![/COLOR]

Here’s to HEALTHY and LASTING weight loss for ALL of us!
If I can do this, anyone can! I have failed on every “diet” I’ve ever attempted; but I’ve already lost 12 lbs (rather effortlessly) since beginning Atkins Induction on 03/24/08.

XO,
Hummingbird

(Texan living in California since 1990; moving to Hawaii in 2012)
hey humingbird. how much flax is acceptable on induction? and how many carbs? does it stall anyone?
emslight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:19 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: emslight
Stats: 160/Goal:130-133 (5ft 6)
WOE: Very High Fat/Yeast Free
Start Date: 8 April 2008
oops. sorry! didn't mean to include such a long quote..!
emslight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 11:13 AM   #28
Big Yapper!!!!

flax is listed in rule 12 of DANDR 2002 as one of the recommended constipation relief options. the rule says to start with a tablesppon or more of psyllium.. then it says you can use ground flax seeds or wheatbran too.

Carb count for flax meal runs about .78 net carbs for 2T per the USDA site if you don't net then it should be about 4 for 2

Flax contains soluble fiber so it will bulk up with fluids and could cause scale weight gain until it is passed. if you use it daily just know you have a couple of pounds of bulk in your gut which will show up on your scale. However this is not an increase in body fat and that is what we are all trying to lose anyways.

Last edited by 2big4mysize; 04-28-2008 at 11:15 AM..
Old 04-28-2008, 09:17 PM   #29
HB = Healthy & Balanced

CHEMICAL CUISINE

Chemical Cuisine / Nutrition Action Health Letter
A guide to food additives & artificial sweeteners

[COLOR="DarkRed"]For complete listing:[/COLOR] Food Additives ~ CSPI’s Food Safety

The Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI) is the nonprofit health-advocacy group that publishes the Nutrition Action Health Letter. CSPI mounts educational programs and presses for changes in government and corporate policies.

[COLOR="DarkRed"]EVERYONE SHOULD AVOID Aspartame & Acesulfame K (Potassium)
(unsafe or very poorly tested and not worth any risk)[/COLOR]

Aspartame
(NutraSweet; Equal; SF Jell-O; diet soda; frozen desserts; etc)

Aspartame (Equal, NutraSweet), a chemical combination of two amino acids and methanol, was initially thought to be the perfect artificial sweetener, but it might cause cancer or neurological problems such as dizziness or hallucinations. The bottom line is that lifelong consumption of aspartame probably increases the risk of cancer. People—especially young children—should NOT consume foods & beverages sweetened with aspartame, and should switch to products sweetened with SUCRALOSE (Splenda) instead, or should avoid all artificially sweetened foods. Two other artificial sweeteners, SACCHARIN and ACESULFAME-K, have also been linked to a risk of cancer.

Acesulfame K (Potassium)
(chewing gum; diet soda; baked goods; desserts; Somersize products; etc)

Poorly done safety tests in the 1970’s suggested that acesulfame potassium may cause cancer. The FDA has refused to require better studies. The safety tests of acesulfame-K were conducted in the 1970s and were of mediocre quality. Key rat tests were afflicted by disease in the animal colonies; a mouse study was several months too brief and did not expose animals during gestation. Two rat studies suggest that the additive might cause cancer. It was for those reasons that in 1996 the Center for Science in the Public Interest urged the FDA to require better testing before permitting acesulfame-K in soft drinks. In addition, large doses of acetoacetamide, a breakdown product, have been shown to affect the thyroid in rats, rabbits, and dogs. Hopefully, the small amounts in food are not harmful.

Last edited by hummingbird11; 04-28-2008 at 09:21 PM..
Old 04-28-2008, 09:37 PM   #30
HB = Healthy & Balanced

SODIUM NITRITE, SODIUM NITRATE

Preservative, coloring, flavoring: Bacon, ham, frankfurters, luncheon meats, smoked fish, corned beef.

Meat processors love sodium nitrite because it stabilizes the red color in cured meat (without nitrite, hot dogs and bacon would look gray) and gives a characteristic flavor. Sodium nitrate is used in dry cured meat, because it slowly breaks down into nitrite. Adding nitrite to food can lead to the formation of small amounts of potent cancer-causing chemicals (nitrosamines), particularly in fried bacon. Nitrite, which also occurs in saliva and forms from nitrate in several vegetables, can undergo the same chemical reaction in the stomach. Companies now add ascorbic acid or erythorbic acid to bacon to inhibit nitrosamine formation, a measure that has greatly reduced the problem. While nitrite and nitrate cause only a small risk, they are still worth avoiding.

Several studies have linked consumption of cured meat and nitrite by children, pregnant women, and adults with various types of cancer. Although those studies have not yet proven that eating nitrite in bacon, sausage, and ham causes cancer in humans, pregnant women would be prudent to avoid those products.

The meat industry justifies its use of nitrite and nitrate by claiming that it prevents the growth of bacteria that cause botulism poisoning. That’s true, but freezing and refrigeration could also do that, and the U.S. Department of Agriculture has developed a safe method using lactic-acid-producing bacteria. The use of nitrite and nitrate has decreased greatly over the decades, because of refrigeration and restrictions on the amounts used. The meat industry could do the public’s health a favor by cutting back even further. Because nitrite is used primarily in fatty, salty foods, consumers have important nutritional reasons for avoiding nitrite-preserved foods.