Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2008, 10:12 PM   #61
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fashay
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird11 View Post
nice job Christina! perfect explanation!

Fashay & Mrs Mor - if you want to follow the "pure" form of Atkins, use the 2002 (or sooner) version of DANDR. anything later than 2002 (in written form or on the internet) is per Atkins Nutritionals (not to be confused w/ Dr Atkins) and they will say anything to get you to buy their products. They also claim that eating their manmade grains is OK on Induction. It's not.

Basically, if it's NOT on this list - don't eat it during Induction!

Atkins - Acceptable Foods

So no protein shakes period......or just Atkins?
fashay is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2008, 10:59 PM   #62
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Emerald
Stats: Nothing to see here folks....move along.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashay View Post

Protein shakes are wonderful. Buy the powdered whey, any flavour that appeals to you. Just make sure it contains no sugar or "carby" fillers.
Emerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 02:00 AM   #63
HB = Healthy & Balanced

Gallery: hummingbird11
Stats: 2008: 175/sz 12-14 >>> 2010: 145/sz 8-10 (5'8")
WOE: BFL (Oct/Nov/Dec)
Start Date: March 2008 (LC) >>> Oct 2010 (BFL)
Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldskye View Post
Protein shakes are wonderful. Buy the powdered whey, any flavour that appeals to you. Just make sure it contains no sugar or "carby" fillers.
right. but get whey protein isolate (as opposed to concentrates or blends) - Jay Robb is a good one. only 1 carb per scoop. no sugar. flavored w/ stevia.

do a LCF search on protein powder (PP) and/or egg creams (EC). lots of good info already written on these topics.
hummingbird11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 06:22 AM   #64
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DarleenMB
Stats: 62yo, 5' 9.5'; 210/181.0/145
WOE: hcg then on to Protein Power
Start Date: April 24 2009
Bioplex is better. It is pure whey and contains NO carbs. It was recommended in the Eades book and we've been using it ever since.

BTW, I've noticed a real tendency for the food police to stomp on anyone who asks why they can't use Atkins shakes and bars. It might come across a little less draconian if the reply when something like "I've found, and so have others, that using those products can cause a stall ... "

just a thought.
DarleenMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 08:38 AM   #65
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ~christina~
Stats: 196/177.5/125, 39, 5'1.5"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashay View Post
Protein shakes are fine if you are just doing LC and not induction. Shakes are also good once you've reached your goals and are on maintenance. However, if you want to do a strict induction period, you would have to follow what is outlined in the DANDR book and Acceptable Food List which was posted a few threads up. But again, if you are just trying to do your own Low Carb plan without any induction or are not planning to follow the DANDR book then go for the shakes. When I get to maintenance I plan on using Nature's Best Isopure Protein Cookies and Cream

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...UI0/weight.png

[COLOR="LemonChiffon"]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/COLOR]
[COLOR="LemonChiffon"]~~~~~~~[/COLOR] [COLOR="Magenta"]~::~[/COLOR] [COLOR="Yellow"]~::~[/COLOR] [COLOR="magenta"]~::~[/COLOR] [COLOR="lemonchiffon"]~~~~~~[/COLOR]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]~::~ carried on the wings of angels ~::~[/COLOR]
[COLOR="LemonChiffon"]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/COLOR]
~christina~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 05:01 PM   #66
HB = Healthy & Balanced

Exactly. If you want to "do your own LC thang" - feel free to eat/drink whatever you want; whatever works best for YOU on YOUR own weight loss program.

But if you want to do Induction as Dr Atkins intended and prescribes, don't use Atkins shakes during Induction and don't eat/drink anything that is not on the list of Induction allowable foods. Period.

And I'm talking about the original, pure list of allowable Induction foods created by Dr Atkins himself; NOT the revised list by Atkins Nutritionals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~christina~ View Post
Protein shakes are fine if you are just doing LC and not induction. Shakes are also good once you've reached your goals and are on maintenance. However, if you want to do a strict induction period, you would have to follow what is outlined in the DANDR book and Acceptable Food List which was posted a few threads up. But again, if you are just trying to do your own Low Carb plan without any induction or are not planning to follow the DANDR book then go for the shakes. When I get to maintenance I plan on using Nature's Best Isopure Protein Cookies and Cream

Last edited by hummingbird11; 06-21-2008 at 05:47 PM..
Old 06-21-2008, 05:27 PM   #67
HB = Healthy & Balanced

Darleen, I think "better" is a matter of perspective. I don't know which Bioplex you're referring to, but to compare apples to apples, the Bioplex 100% Whey Protein Complex has 2 Carbs + 1g Sugar. so Jay Robbs is better for ME because it contains 1 Carb + 0g Sugar.

and Bioplex Whey Protein Complex contains less Protein (20g) than Jay Robbs (25g).

and Bioplex is a "whey complex" while Jay Robbs is a "whey protein isolate". I've read than an isolate is better than a concentrate or a blend (and that's what a complex sounds like to me, but I could be wrong!)

If you're referring to Bioplex Simply White 100% Pure Egg Albumen (0 carbs), that's not something I'd personally use because I've read that a Biotin deficiency can develop by using egg whites only.

And, "eggs whites only" (in anything) signifies (to me) Factory Farmed Chickens & Eggs, which is something I am personally & morally opposed to, nor will I consciously support.

I use whole, fresh (not powdered), local, cage-free, organic eggs ONLY.

3 eggs daily in my JR PP EC shakes, along with EVCO, Psyllium Husk, Aloe Vera Juice, Probiotics, Inulin, Bee Pollen, etc.

If you're referring to one of the other Bioplex products that utilizes Soy and/or Sucralose, again that is not "better" for me (personally) as I prefer Stevia over refined/artificial sugar and no Soy.

LCF links re: PP options & usage:
protein-powder-ok-induction?
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ma...ggestions.html
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ma...in-powder.html
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ma...-products.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarleenMB View Post
Bioplex is better. It is pure whey and contains NO carbs. It was recommended in the Eades book and we've been using it ever since.

EXERCISE
M/R = yoga or pilates or callanetics
W/F = UB strength training (no LB)
T/Sat = cardio (elliptical or treadmill)
Sun = outdoor farm chores!!!!!
+ daily back/body stretches

Last edited by hummingbird11; 06-21-2008 at 06:11 PM..
Old 06-21-2008, 06:10 PM   #68
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DarleenMB
Stats: 62yo, 5' 9.5'; 210/181.0/145
WOE: hcg then on to Protein Power
Start Date: April 24 2009
Well hummingbird, I stand corrected. Just checked the container and you are right ... 2 g of carbs from the lactose.
DarleenMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 07:06 PM   #69
HB = Healthy & Balanced

Wow, thanks Darleen! That's the 1st time I've been "right" in weeks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarleenMB View Post
Well hummingbird, I stand corrected. Just checked the container and you are right ... 2 g of carbs from the lactose.
Old 06-28-2008, 07:38 AM   #70
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Fixed
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: June 23, 2008
Hey all, first post! I'm looking at starting induction this week, so I've spent the last couple of days trying to prepare. Either way, due to how little free time I have for meal prep. short cuts and pre prep are the only way this will work for me. Normally I never do breakfast, but it appears those days are numbered and I'll have to start doing something. I was hoping to pick up pre-cooked bacon that I can just through in the microwave, however the discussion on nitrates earlier has me a little worried/confused. I was under the impression that bacon is good to go, but since (as far as I can tell) there's no bacon without sodium nitrate is this actually the case. Do I just need to watch how much bacon I eat (how do I know what amount is the right amount?), or is there some magical non-nitrate bacon that I just can't seem to find?
Fixed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 08:46 AM   #71
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: 2big4mysize
Stats: 313 to current goalie 169-173
WOE: Atkins 2002
Start Date: june 1 2002
eat your bacon and don't obsess over it right now.

you need to set a side one day to shop chop prep and cook then you can be grab and go the rest of the week. there are many freezer friendly egg muffin recipes you can make then grab one and go. just besure you use enough eggs so you have the amount you need 2,3 or more in each one. I put the cheese in each tin along with any meat and/or veggies and then pour the beated eggs over them bake in the oven 325 for 15-20 min and I got a dozen muffins for the freeze in a ziplock bag I can grab one nuke it and eat on the go if I need to. lunch I have cooked meats, chicken and fish all ready for grabbing with some washed and chopped veggies and lunch is served dinner is the same. I under cook slightly a whole pan of chicken breasts and then I can finish the cooking the day I want them in a pan with some herbs, spices, sauces, and/or flavored oils and I'm not stuck eating rosemary beef or chicken for a week. If I want italian that is what goes in the pan and the skin is seared and the chicken warmed with the itialian flavors I want. same for mexican bbq or asian. I do fully cook the lunch stuff in the summer cause I like it cold but winter lunches are hot so they get the same treatment as dinner.
2big4mysize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 09:18 AM   #72
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Fixed
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: June 23, 2008
Thanks! I'm trying to do this right, so I'm reading and reading and maybe confusing myself even further. There's an incredible wealth of information on these boards, probably not a good idea to try to take in everything at once.
I really like your idea of partially preparing your protein for the week and then completing the meal with different flavours throughout the week.
What are you using for the muffin part of your breakfast muffin? Oopsie rolls?
Fixed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 02:12 PM   #73
HB = Healthy & Balanced

to low carb life!

Do you have a Trader Joe's near you? TJ's carries an assortment of nitrite/nitrate free bacon, including pre-cooked. And I've just learned that certain Costo's carry uncured bacon as well.

As usual, 2Big is right on. Sunday is my prep day and I make a couple of spinach; meat; cheese quiches. I do mine in a pie pan (slice/place in baggies/freeze) or you can make individual quiche in muffin pan as 2Big suggests. Great for freezing ... grab & go!

I love to make Linda's tuna and/or turkey muffins, cream cheese clouds, etc. Freeze to pull out during the week.

Also, we BBQ an assortment of meat on Sunday to keep in the fridge to munch on during the week.
To Farmer's Market for fresh, organic veggies on Sunday's too.

For me, Sunday Prep = Success!

XO,
HB

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...challenge.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixed View Post
Hey all, first post! I'm looking at starting induction this week, so I've spent the last couple of days trying to prepare. Either way, due to how little free time I have for meal prep. short cuts and pre prep are the only way this will work for me. Normally I never do breakfast, but it appears those days are numbered and I'll have to start doing something. I was hoping to pick up pre-cooked bacon that I can just through in the microwave, however the discussion on nitrates earlier has me a little worried/confused. I was under the impression that bacon is good to go, but since (as far as I can tell) there's no bacon without sodium nitrate is this actually the case. Do I just need to watch how much bacon I eat (how do I know what amount is the right amount?), or is there some magical non-nitrate bacon that I just can't seem to find?

Last edited by hummingbird11; 06-28-2008 at 02:15 PM..
Old 06-28-2008, 03:12 PM   #74
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: duece49424
Stats: 230 start 3/16/10..lifetime goal 150
WOE: low carb/healthylifestyle - struggling with binges
HB - I am new and trying to figure out all of this - you are a wealth of info - THANKS
duece49424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 03:28 PM   #75
HB = Healthy & Balanced

Quote:
Originally Posted by duece49424 View Post
HB - I am new and trying to figure out all of this - you are a wealth of info - THANKS
me? wow, thanks!

I tell ya I have learned everything I know re: LC from Dr A + everyone right here at LCF!

And occasionally I like to summarize & post what I've learned so others can benefit too.

There are plenty of beautiful & brilliant minds here ... a few of my personal heroes include (in no particular order and I know that I am leaving many out) Fawn, Cleo, sugarless4life, 2big4mysize, Watch-Me-Shrink, AllieCat, JerseyGirl, Ilpirata, Prozak, Meekness, OurLuvsFromAbove, Amiga, Lisabinil, TelemetryNurse, TaDa! and last but not least, btinc.

I've learned so much from ALL of these kind & generous folks and many others (in the past 3 months) that my life has changed in so many positive ways!

I LOVE LC LIFE !!!!!

XO,
HB

Last edited by hummingbird11; 06-28-2008 at 03:44 PM..
Old 06-29-2008, 06:31 AM   #76
Senior LCF Member

Yes, I recognize a lot of those names. I have subscribed to a few threads and I find myself going to the computer more and reading what they all have to say. I think if I keep things simple like Suzanne says, that is the way to go for me. I know if I have something to follow it really helps. I feel like I have diet ADD and don't know what to do, but lc is the way to go. Now a question: for those of you that have coffee, cream and splenda for breakfast, is that the only thing you have? How much is allowed per day? Do you all put this in ****** and does it matter about the fat content of what we are eating? Thanks everyone!~
Old 06-29-2008, 09:25 AM   #77
Senior LCF Member

Okay - here I go....can't seem to get it together or, make the scale budge...need a little help in finding out what I'm doing wrong..I'm going to start and post my menu and what I eat. I hope someone can find the time to "babysit" me a little...I feel so insecure about doing this...
B - coffee, cream, splenda, 1 egg fried, 3 strips bacon
L - egg salad
D - beef stew in the crock pot - but with just the beef, and onions, gr peper...waiting to see how it turns out
snacks - haven't figured that out yet
Old 06-29-2008, 10:09 AM   #78
Big Yapper!!!!

since you don't give amounts of the egg salad nor beef stew it is impossible to know if you are eating too little and your body thinks their is a famine going on and is conserving energy and shutting off nonlife essential functions thus lowering your metabolism or you are over eating your atkins and need to cut back.

so how much beef stew? 4 ounces 4 pounds makes a huge difference
next what plan are you doing?

if you are doing Atkins then
where are your veggies? 3 cups a day isn't just for roughage. there are micro nutriants in the acceptable veggies we need for our bodies to run efficiently.
and what are you doing as the mandatory exercise part of your Atkins.
Old 06-29-2008, 01:14 PM   #79
Senior LCF Member

wow 2big - I really never thought of all of that! Good thing I finally opened up my mouth and let someone try and help me...I always loved reading what everyone was posting for food, but, never, never posted what I ate...what a difference this is for me...well, the egg salad was about 3/4 cup (eggs, mayo, little celery, little onion), beef stew will be for dinner tonight - so, I don't know how much I should eat? Maybe about 1 cup or so. I guess I should plan on having a veggie...what plan of Atkins? Another question I haven't really figured out. I have the 2 books now that I'm reading...dadr and dandr...haven't figured out the big difference yet. Did not put potatoes or carrots in the stew. I feel like a kindergartener...what exactly is the atkins 72? I feel really @#$%^
Old 06-29-2008, 02:08 PM   #80
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Katie914
Stats: 155/135
WOE: Stillman's QWL
Start Date: 08/31/08
ok so ive been wondering how much black coffee i can get away with on induction. also, it never occurred to me that chewing gum was bad!! wow!!!
Katie914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 02:10 PM   #81
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird11 View Post
me? wow, thanks!

I tell ya I have learned everything I know re: LC from Dr A + everyone right here at LCF!

And occasionally I like to summarize & post what I've learned so others can benefit too.

There are plenty of beautiful & brilliant minds here ... a few of my personal heroes include (in no particular order and I know that I am leaving many out) Fawn, Cleo, sugarless4life, 2big4mysize, Watch-Me-Shrink, AllieCat, JerseyGirl, Ilpirata, Prozak, Meekness, OurLuvsFromAbove, Amiga, Lisabinil, TelemetryNurse, TaDa! and last but not least, btinc.

I've learned so much from ALL of these kind & generous folks and many others (in the past 3 months) that my life has changed in so many positive ways!

I LOVE LC LIFE !!!!!

XO,
HB
I couldn't agree more!! all those people and more have been so kind and helpful to me!! thx to u all!
Old 06-29-2008, 02:12 PM   #82
Senior LCF Member

i have trouble getting all the veggies in too...i get scared of the carbs, which is bad i know :-(
Old 06-29-2008, 02:38 PM   #83
Big Yapper!!!!

I did Atkins DANDR 2002 because of the OWl carb ladder readdition cause I knew as a carboholic if I added back as the earlier plans said that which I missed the most I'd be eating junk carbs and with a broken off switchthe container not 5 grams would be the serving size.

Do not fear the induction carbs they are low glycemic and at 20 net even if you pick the high fiber ones you are talking about 100 cals worth for the whole day so you can spread them out to all 3 meals and even your snacks if you do snacks and be in control.

Pick plan put it in your profile as the one you are doing and then try as hard as you can to follow that plan for 2 weeks. on day 15 you will be posting your yipppeeee I lost ___ and feel great!

as to your beef stew if the cup is full of all meat a cup sounds about right. then if you are hungry an hour later you can have a little more and see how you feel an hour later. when you first start it is hard to control your hunger and serving sizes and Dr Atkins doesn't expect you to go hungry so you can eat as many meals as you need as long as each time you eat you feed only the hunger you are experiencing then. We do not have to tank up for a famine coming. Once ketosis kicks in and appetite is suppressed you will be amazed you need an alarm clock to remeber to eat lunch.
Old 06-29-2008, 03:45 PM   #84
Senior LCF Member

2big - boy, I hate calling you that...anyway, thanks for the note..I feel like I'm about 5 years old now, just learning to do something new. Anyway, the egg salad was about 1 cup and the beef stew will be about 2 cups, and, after I read your note, I put cauliflower in with the onion the few gr. pepper. Tastes good too! So, where are the amounts that I'm suppose to have? I am reading 2 of the atkins books - dadr, dandr. Which one is the best one? Haven't gotten to that part yet. Just read the cheese should be no more than 4 oz, 2 T of heavy cream, I thought meat was unlimited, and salad about 2 cups and 1 cup of veggies...is that about right? I haven't figured out the snacks yet. I would have liked the 4 pounds of beef stew, but thought I would be good lol...
Old 06-29-2008, 07:34 PM   #85
Big Yapper!!!!

as I said I like DANDR 2002 edition look at the copyrigth date in your book if it is 2002 then you have the last DANDR written if it says 92 or 99 then you have the earlier version.

induction is chapter 11 of 2002.

I hear you on liked to have had those 4 pounds. many of us can easily over eat our Atkins. The biggest part of doing Atkins isn't carb counting it is reighing your eating in.
Yes ketosis will kill our appetite BUT most of us got fat by eating food even after our hunger was satisfied or when we were not even hungry.

So every meal eat a few bites and ask yourself am I still hungry. if you are have a few more and repeat the question. When the answer is no stop eating even if you got room in your belly food on the plate and/or carbs in your budget knowing you can eat again the second you feel hungry. that is the key to shedding weight on Atkins learning to only feed your hunger. I can't tell you how many times I've been hungry fixed a great plate of food eatten a few bites had to stop cause Mother needed something and returned to my wonderful food and discovered those few bites satisfied my hunger and I ended up putting the meal away. a few hours later when I was again hungry I ate more.
Some days I'm really hungry and eat over 3000 cals and other days I'm not and do well to eat 1000. just listen to your body and feed it when it tells you to unless that 6 hour rule hits and then grab something nutrtionally dense with some protein some fat and some carbs for the small snack you are going to be forced to eat per Dr Atkins rules of not going more then 6 waking hours without food.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:41 PM   #86
LRJ
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LRJ
Thank you
LRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:30 AM   #87
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ChefSugar
Stats: 288/275/160
WOE: Atkins - Leaner
Start Date: Restarted: 11/14/09
Subscribing
ChefSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 04:47 PM   #88
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kepro
Start Date: October 2, 2010
Great thread! Thanks.
kepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 06:36 PM   #89
Major LCF Poster!

Stats: 224/198.6/150
WOE: Atkins & Exercise
Start Date: Start Date: October 17,2011
Subscribing again.
DolphinsOnMyMind777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 03:34 PM   #90
Random LC WIT-let

Gallery: jessienevins0314
Stats: 254/238/199 (first goal - to be in ONEderland)
WOE: Low carb-ish
Start Date: Start 10/2009... trying to stay OP often!
subscribe
jessienevins0314 is offline   Reply With Quote