Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2008, 08:25 AM   #31
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: 2big4mysize
Stats: 313 to current goalie 169-173
WOE: Atkins 2002
Start Date: june 1 2002
again the new studies show nitrates and nitrites are beneficial to humans AND the majority of the bad stuff stay away from nitrates and nitrites info ignores the fact that the majority of the chemicals that cause those nasty test results actually are found naturally in many nature made foods we eat like leafy green veggies.
2big4mysize is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2008, 08:44 AM   #32
HB = Healthy & Balanced

Gallery: hummingbird11
Stats: 2008: 175/sz 12-14 >>> 2010: 145/sz 8-10 (5'8")
WOE: BFL (Oct/Nov/Dec)
Start Date: March 2008 (LC) >>> Oct 2010 (BFL)
Nutrition Action Health Letter ~ MAY 2008

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Chemical Cuisine ~ A guide to food additives & artificial sweeteners[/COLOR]
Food Additives ~ CSPI’s Food Safety

The Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI) is the nonprofit health-advocacy group that publishes the Nutrition Action Health Letter.

CSPI mounts educational programs and presses for changes in government and corporate policies.

SODIUM NITRITE, SODIUM NITRATE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Preservative, coloring, flavoring: Bacon, ham, frankfurters, luncheon meats, smoked fish, corned beef.

Meat processors love sodium nitrite because it stabilizes the red color in cured meat (without nitrite, hot dogs and bacon would look gray) and gives a characteristic flavor. Sodium nitrate is used in dry cured meat, because it slowly breaks down into nitrite. Adding nitrite to food can lead to the formation of small amounts of potent cancer-causing chemicals (nitrosamines), particularly in fried bacon. Nitrite, which also occurs in saliva and forms from nitrate in several vegetables, can undergo the same chemical reaction in the stomach. Companies now add ascorbic acid or erythorbic acid to bacon to inhibit nitrosamine formation, a measure that has greatly reduced the problem. While nitrite and nitrate cause only a small risk, they are still worth avoiding.

Several studies have linked consumption of cured meat and nitrite by children, pregnant women, and adults with various types of cancer. Although those studies have not yet proven that eating nitrite in bacon, sausage, and ham causes cancer in humans, pregnant women would be prudent to avoid those products.

The meat industry justifies its use of nitrite and nitrate by claiming that it prevents the growth of bacteria that cause botulism poisoning. That’s true, but freezing and refrigeration could also do that, and the U.S. Department of Agriculture has developed a safe method using lactic-acid-producing bacteria. The use of nitrite and nitrate has decreased greatly over the decades, because of refrigeration and restrictions on the amounts used. The meat industry could do the public’s health a favor by cutting back even further. Because nitrite is used primarily in fatty, salty foods, consumers have important nutritional reasons for avoiding nitrite-preserved foods.

EXERCISE
M/R = yoga or pilates or callanetics
W/F = UB strength training (no LB)
T/Sat = cardio (elliptical or treadmill)
Sun = outdoor farm chores!!!!!
+ daily back/body stretches

Last edited by hummingbird11; 04-29-2008 at 08:45 AM..
hummingbird11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 08:54 AM   #33

Gallery: rocksout4cheese
Stats: 5'3" * 155/149/115
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: 4/10/08
actually, saccharin is not dangerous. the FDA removed it from it's list of carcinogens. it can safely be consumed in small amounts, as DANDR says no more than 3 packs a day.
i use a liquid sweetner form that is just saccharin, and it works well in my drinks and no funny taste.
DANDR says you should opt for spenda, saccharin, cyclamate, or asesulfame-K as your artificial sweetner
rocksout4cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 09:13 AM   #34
HB = Healthy & Balanced

Sugar Sugar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksout4cheese View Post
actually, saccharin is not dangerous. the FDA removed it from its list of carcinogens. it can safely be consumed in small amounts, as DANDR says no more than 3 packs a day.
i use a liquid sweetner form that is just saccharin, and it works well in my drinks and no funny taste.
DANDR says you should opt for spenda, saccharin, cyclamate, or asesulfame-K as your artificial sweetner
The Atkins preference, however, is sucralose (Splenda), the only sweetener made from sugar.

Atkins - Acceptable Foods

And the FDA's stamp of approval does NOT = trust for me because it is ALL about the almighty dollar with the FDA. I’m quite sure that Sweet'n Low paid a LOT of money to get Saccharin removed from the “bad list”.

The FDA has approved MANY items hazardous to our health (like Fen-Phen!), because again, it’s about money with them, NOT our health. The list of FDA recalls is endless. Google it.

Did you know that since the Bush Admin took office – that the FDA has reduced its investigations by more than 50%? Coincidence? I think not.

We must each find our own way, but I would not touch Saccharin, Aspartame, Acesulfame K ~
I prefer to use Stevia and Splenda.

CHECK THIS OUT: Food Additives ~ CSPI’s Food Safety

(the list is as of May 2008 ~ long after DANDR was published)

The Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI) is the nonprofit health-advocacy group that publishes the Nutrition Action Health Letter. CSPI mounts educational programs and presses for changes in government and corporate policies.

Last edited by hummingbird11; 04-29-2008 at 09:18 AM..
Old 04-29-2008, 09:42 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DarleenMB
Stats: 62yo, 5' 9.5'; 210/181.0/145
WOE: hcg then on to Protein Power
Start Date: April 24 2009
Given that the studies showing saccharin caused cancer used enough of the stuff to fell an elephant, I think it's safe to say it's ok for use by humans who only use a few DROPS a day.

Here'a an alternative sweetener I haven't seen mentioned: somersweet from Suzanne Somers. It's quite good, and is made from oligofructose, inulin, fructose, sprouted mung bean extract and acesulfame K. Has less than 1 g of carbs and that comes from fiber. You can buy from her website or from HSN.com. I like to mix up my sweeteners, ... liquid splenda, somersweet, xylitol.
DarleenMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:18 AM   #36
HB = Healthy & Balanced

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarleenMB View Post
Given that the studies showing saccharin caused cancer used enough of the stuff to fell an elephant, I think it's safe to say it's ok for use by humans who only use a few DROPS a day.

Here'a an alternative sweetener I haven't seen mentioned: somersweet from Suzanne Somers. It's quite good, and is made from oligofructose, inulin, fructose, sprouted mung bean extract and acesulfame K. Has less than 1 g of carbs and that comes from fiber. You can buy from her website or from HSN.com. I like to mix up my sweeteners, ... liquid splenda, somersweet, xylitol.
Well, having had Cancer myself - I can tell you that it's no fun and ANY RISK (no matter how small) is TOO BIG for me AND my loved ones. No thanks. There are just too many healthier alternatives.

Yes, SomerSweet contains Acesulfame K but that should be avoided too! (even Suzanne Somers knows this and has since removed Acesulfame K from her new version of SomerSweet. HSN must be trying to liquidate the original version). Oh and try asking her (original) website about the safety of the ingredients in SomerSweet. They'll reply that "Mgmt will respond" - but they won't ever respond!

You should check-out this link: Food Additives ~ CSPI’s Food Safety

You can have your pork rinds; saccharine; acesulfame K. But I believe the real key to healthy & permanent weight loss is through a much more natural WOE which Dr Atkins supports. I do like xylitol (Xylo-Sweet).

Last edited by hummingbird11; 04-29-2008 at 11:29 AM..
Old 05-01-2008, 07:32 AM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Good for you. some of us just aren't that disciplined.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:34 AM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Stats: 224/198.6/150
WOE: Atkins & Exercise
Start Date: Start Date: October 17,2011
[COLOR=darkorchid]Remember we all have our own opinions and it's okay to voice them. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=darkorchid]Now back to your corners ladies.....[/COLOR]

[COLOR=darkorchid]I'm joking of course so you all better have smiles on your faces.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#9932cc]I do enjoy reading all the information posted and the links. Thanks![/COLOR]
DolphinsOnMyMind777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 10:34 AM   #39
HB = Healthy & Balanced

Quote:
Good for you. some of us just aren't that disciplined.
I didn't used to be either; but as I keep finding healthier alternatives, it becomes easier and easier for me! We must all find our own path. You are welcome to use, or discard the info posted here. Always your choice.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:37 AM   #40
HB = Healthy & Balanced

Quote:
Originally Posted by DolphinsOnMyMind777 View Post
[COLOR=darkorchid]Remember we all have our own opinions and it's okay to voice them. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=darkorchid]Now back to your corners ladies.....[/COLOR]

[COLOR=darkorchid]I'm joking of course so you all better have smiles on your faces.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#9932cc]I do enjoy reading all the information posted and the links. Thanks![/COLOR]
HAHAHA! Of course I'm smiling!

Hi Honey! How are you?
I haven't forgotten your PM. It's been crazy busy at work! I will answer today/tomorrow - promise!

I see that you're walking for Autism - thats great! I know so many people that have children w/ Autism these days, including my sister: her son has Asperger's. My sister + two of my friends (also w/ autistic sons) ALL swear by a Gluten-Free Diet to help w/ Autism and all kinds of others health issues too. You probably already know about this, but wanted to mention, just in case!

Last edited by hummingbird11; 05-01-2008 at 10:40 AM..
Old 05-01-2008, 11:36 AM   #41
HB = Healthy & Balanced

CALLANETICS

THE MAY CHALLENGE LINK:
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ex...l#post10259920

MY POST:
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ex...l#post10261221

Quote:
Originally Posted by WATCH-ME-SHRINK View Post
Trish, that is GREAT progress! I commend you for your hard work.

Dropping a dress size can't really be compared to dropping X pounds of weight. The scale measures losses much differently from the measuring tape and our clothes.

With the proper fuel, adequate rest, and consistent, focused workouts, we can make major strides in losing inches -- i.e., clothes sizes -- when the scale reflects very little change.

I dropped two sizes in about 6 weeks when I began Callanetics, but the scale hardly budged.

I would encourage you to continue to do Callanetics, no fewer than 3-4 x per week, add in some cardio (if you haven't already) for some extra calorie/fat burning, and eat clean.

I think you can expect to see more inches lost in a month's time if you adhere to those things, and with your attitude, you're already there!
Old 05-02-2008, 07:47 AM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Hey, my post was not sarcastic. I actually meant that as a compliment!
Old 05-02-2008, 10:51 AM   #43
HB = Healthy & Balanced

Quote:
Hey, my post was not sarcastic. I actually meant that as a compliment!
Oh wow - thanks Darlene! That's nice to know!

It was a huge decision for me. But I cleared my kitchen of ALL refined sugar (including all packaged/processed foods) and I don't use any chemical sugar substitutes (except Splenda) - I researched healthier alternatives (Stevia; Xylo~Sweet; Whey Low) and stocked up on a variety of those. Since it's all I have on hand ~ it's all I use! No discipline there! LOL!

I did get really excited about the SomerSweet till I read about the Acesulfame K. That was a big disappointment to me
Old 05-20-2008, 08:02 PM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fashay
Subscribing
fashay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 08:06 AM   #45
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Meek75
WOE: Atkins Inductions for 14 Days
Start Date: 6/10/2014
posting to subscribe
Meek75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 09:33 PM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ~christina~
Stats: 196/177.5/125, 39, 5'1.5"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird11 View Post
Again, it's not the actual nitrites - it's the chemical process during cooking/curing that causes Nitrosamines which are carcinogenic.
Yes...this is what I'm reading in all the detailed research. While the sodium nitrate added is not the initial problem and is not cancer causing...it is the Nitrosamines that are produced while the body is digesting that is the problem and is cancer causing. Read this well versed article that explains it nicely: (new research confirms via University of Manitoba)

link: Foods That Harm Our Health And Cause Cancer - OnlineEarnings Article Board

quote from article highlighting this portion:

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Additionally, sodium nitrite is added to processed meats, hot dogs, bacon, and any other meat that needs a reddish color to look "fresh." Decades ago when meats were preserved, it was done with salt. But in the mid 20th century, food manufacturers started using sodium nitrite in commercial preservation. This chemical is responsible for the pinkish color in meat to which consumers have grown accustomed. Although today the use of refrigeration is largely what protects consumers from botulism and bacteria, manufacturers still add sodium nitrite to make the meat look pinkish and fresh.

The nitrites themselves are not the problem. People get more nitrites from vegetables than they do from meat, according to research by the University of Minnesota. During the digestion process, however, sodium nitrite is converted to nitrosamine, and that's where the cancer problems begin. Nitrosamine is a carcinogen, but since it is not technically an ingredient, its presence can be easily overlooked on the packaging. Nitrosamines are also found in food items that are pickled, fried, or smoked; in things such as beer, cheese, fish byproducts, and tobacco smoke.

The Cancer Prevention Coalition recommends that children should not eat more than 12 hot dogs per month because of the risk of cancer. If you must have your hot dog fix, look for those without sodium nitrite listed among the ingredients.

Processed meats and bacon almost always contain the same sodium nitrite found in hot dogs. You can find some without nitrites, but you'll have to look for them in natural grocers or health food stores.[/COLOR]

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...UI0/weight.png

[COLOR="LemonChiffon"]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/COLOR]
[COLOR="LemonChiffon"]~~~~~~~[/COLOR] [COLOR="Magenta"]~::~[/COLOR] [COLOR="Yellow"]~::~[/COLOR] [COLOR="magenta"]~::~[/COLOR] [COLOR="lemonchiffon"]~~~~~~[/COLOR]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]~::~ carried on the wings of angels ~::~[/COLOR]
[COLOR="LemonChiffon"]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/COLOR]
~christina~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 03:33 AM   #47

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
I make my own beef jerky, it is really easy and nitrate free, you could use it as a snack too or crumble to make chicken nugget and stuff too.
suzanneyea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 12:02 PM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanneyea View Post
I make my own beef jerky, it is really easy and nitrate free, you could use it as a snack too or crumble to make chicken nugget and stuff too.
OK....LOVE! You totally have to post your recipe for that!!! I could eat that often, and was disappointed I couldn't try any at the store...lol. Please and thank you!!!
Old 06-16-2008, 05:52 PM   #49

It is so easy, I looked it up on google. I just buy a package of beef, the really thin sliced kind for fondue or have the butcher slice it for me super thin. I marinade it over night (I use garlic salt and dijon mustard). I put it in the oven with the door slightly open, lowest heat possible for about 5 hours or so. yummy.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:30 PM   #50
HB = Healthy & Balanced

many thanks for posting this info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~christina~ View Post
Yes...this is what I'm reading in all the detailed research. While the sodium nitrate added is not the initial problem and is not cancer causing...it is the Nitrosamines that are produced while the body is digesting that is the problem and is cancer causing. Read this well versed article that explains it nicely: (new research confirms via University of Manitoba)

link: Foods That Harm Our Health And Cause Cancer - OnlineEarnings Article Board

quote from article highlighting this portion:

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Additionally, sodium nitrite is added to processed meats, hot dogs, bacon, and any other meat that needs a reddish color to look "fresh." Decades ago when meats were preserved, it was done with salt. But in the mid 20th century, food manufacturers started using sodium nitrite in commercial preservation. This chemical is responsible for the pinkish color in meat to which consumers have grown accustomed. Although today the use of refrigeration is largely what protects consumers from botulism and bacteria, manufacturers still add sodium nitrite to make the meat look pinkish and fresh.

The nitrites themselves are not the problem. People get more nitrites from vegetables than they do from meat, according to research by the University of Minnesota. During the digestion process, however, sodium nitrite is converted to nitrosamine, and that's where the cancer problems begin. Nitrosamine is a carcinogen, but since it is not technically an ingredient, its presence can be easily overlooked on the packaging. Nitrosamines are also found in food items that are pickled, fried, or smoked; in things such as beer, cheese, fish byproducts, and tobacco smoke.

The Cancer Prevention Coalition recommends that children should not eat more than 12 hot dogs per month because of the risk of cancer. If you must have your hot dog fix, look for those without sodium nitrite listed among the ingredients.

Processed meats and bacon almost always contain the same sodium nitrite found in hot dogs. You can find some without nitrites, but you'll have to look for them in natural grocers or health food stores.[/COLOR]
Old 06-16-2008, 09:36 PM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanneyea View Post
It is so easy, I looked it up on google. I just buy a package of beef, the really thin sliced kind for fondue or have the butcher slice it for me super thin. I marinade it over night (I use garlic salt and dijon mustard). I put it in the oven with the door slightly open, lowest heat possible for about 5 hours or so. yummy.
YUM! Thanks! I've gotta try that!!

...hummingbird...YVW!!
Old 06-16-2008, 09:41 PM   #52
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MarblesLongGone
Stats: 273/214/188 6'0"
WOE: Grain-free, sugar-free, real foods
Start Date: 2010 (I have years of weight data recorded)
Atkins is NOT a high protein diet, but if you read it, it IS high fat. If you read his menus, it is HIGH fat. And high fat works great for me. If I keep fat to around 75% of my calories, I cannot help but lose!
MarblesLongGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 10:30 PM   #53
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jimzgrl
Stats: 245/217.4/170
WOE: Still figuring it out!
Start Date: Restart-Everyday!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarblesLongGone View Post
Atkins is NOT a high protein diet, but if you read it, it IS high fat. If you read his menus, it is HIGH fat. And high fat works great for me. If I keep fat to around 75% of my calories, I cannot help but lose!
I've done really good the last week keeping fat above 65%. Will weigh in the morning for the end of my first induction week-we'll see how it went!!
jimzgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:09 AM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fashay
Why aren't atkins shakes allowed on induction?
fashay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 11:20 AM   #55
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MrsMor
Stats: 214 / 205 / 145
Start Date: June 11, 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird11 View Post
[COLOR="DarkRed"][B]1 – ...Atkins Bars & Shakes are NOT allowed during Induction - but do whatever you need to do to keep yourself legal - but don’t eat more than one per day - and if you stop losing weight; stop eating them!...
Hello - I'm on day 5, so I'm really learning as I go. I have been doing a ton of reading on this site, which is fabulous, by the way!

I just have one question - you say that shakes & bars are not allowed during induction, but the Atkins site suggests them (1 bar and 1 shake every single day of induction) as they are included in the 2 week meal plan Atkins Nutritional - Meal Planner Week One

Can you explain the difference of opinion? I'm just curious.

Thanks.
MrsMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 11:26 AM   #56
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMor View Post
Hello - I'm on day 5, so I'm really learning as I go. I have been doing a ton of reading on this site, which is fabulous, by the way!

I just have one question - you say that shakes & bars are not allowed during induction, but the Atkins site suggests them (1 bar and 1 shake every single day of induction) as they are included in the 2 week meal plan Atkins Nutritional - Meal Planner Week One

Can you explain the difference of opinion? I'm just curious.

Thanks.
Please read the 2002 copy of Dr. Atkins book....Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution. Everything made after he passed away in 2003 is from the company that bought him out and is promoting Atkins processed products to generate sales. To do the plan correctly, you must just go by the rules in this book. HTH...

If you use processed foods, you will hinder your success greatly. Processed products can only be added in moderation 'after' you've reached all of your goals and are on maintenance.

Check out this site for all of the correct facts and myths and learn about all of the incorrect information that is out there. The plan won't work unless you do it as Dr. Atkins himself describes in his last DANDR book / 2002. Sheila explains most of it extremely well and you can see the success she has had:

SugarFreeSheila.com / SFS.com - Your ULTIMATE Resource For Atkins / Low Carb Help & Information!

Also, this page is the only acceptable information:

Last edited by ~christina~; 06-17-2008 at 11:28 AM..
Old 06-17-2008, 11:50 AM   #57
HB = Healthy & Balanced

nice job Christina! perfect explanation!

Fashay & Mrs Mor - if you want to follow the "pure" form of Atkins, use the 2002 (or sooner) version of DANDR. anything later than 2002 (in written form or on the internet) is per Atkins Nutritionals (not to be confused w/ Dr Atkins) and they will say anything to get you to buy their products. They also claim that eating their manmade grains is OK on Induction. It's not.

Basically, if it's NOT on this list - don't eat it during Induction!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~christina~ View Post
Please read the 2002 copy of Dr. Atkins book....Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution. Everything made after he passed away in 2003 is from the company that bought him out and is promoting Atkins processed products to generate sales. To do the plan correctly, you must just go by the rules in this book. HTH...

If you use processed foods, you will hinder your success greatly. Processed products can only be added in moderation 'after' you've reached all of your goals and are on maintenance.

Check out this site for all of the correct facts and myths and learn about all of the incorrect information that is out there. The plan won't work unless you do it as Dr. Atkins himself describes in his last DANDR book / 2002. Sheila explains most of it extremely well and you can see the success she has had:

SugarFreeSheila.com / SFS.com - Your ULTIMATE Resource For Atkins / Low Carb Help & Information!

Also, this page is the only acceptable information:

Last edited by hummingbird11; 06-17-2008 at 11:52 AM..
Old 06-17-2008, 05:37 PM   #58
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MarblesLongGone
Stats: 273/214/188 6'0"
WOE: Grain-free, sugar-free, real foods
Start Date: 2010 (I have years of weight data recorded)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashay View Post
Why aren't atkins shakes allowed on induction?
Because they are not real food. They are junk food! It's the low carb equivalent to Snackwells fat free cookies. It's NOT getting you into good habits either.
MarblesLongGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 07:22 PM   #59
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MrsMor
Stats: 214 / 205 / 145
Start Date: June 11, 2008
Great explanation - thank you.
MrsMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 02:50 AM   #60

Plus, why would you want to drink a boring yucky shake when you can eat a yummy steak or something? You can always do those egg cream things, a lot of people love those things and it is like a homemade shake, much better choice.