Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2008, 06:03 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Chasintrail
Stats: 205/? size 10/8-10 5'6"
WOE: Primal - high-fat/real food
Sweet treats on induction

I know that it can be hard when you're detoxing from sugar and your body is screaming for a piece of chocolate , but...

Part of the intention of induction is to break that habit of reaching for something sweet. Breaking your addiction to carbs is an important part of this WOE.

Do yourself a favor and do the cleanest 2 week induction you can. Skip the low-carb deserts, quit or cut down the diet sodas, skip the jello. Trust me, at the end of two weeks, you'll be suprised how sweet brocolli is! The bonus is that once you've broken the sugar habit, all of the things that seem so tempting now won't taste right and probably won't even smell good. I can't even walk down the baking isle in the grocery anymore! Can't stand the smell. (OK, in the interest of fairness, I still have to avoid the fresh bread like the plague )

Eat real food, mostly animals
Chasintrail is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2008, 06:16 AM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Voyager7429
For me, my problem was never so much "sweets" per se -- like cake, pie, candy, etc. -- as much as it was breads, pasta, and starchy veggies like potatoes. With that being said, I do have to admit that while grocery shopping last night I found some Land-O-Lakes heavy whipped cream (in the aerosol can) sweetened with Splenda. I put a bit on some sugar free jello last night for dessert and it was HEAVENLY!
Voyager7429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 06:27 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: beachagain
Stats: 162/150/140s
WOE: Fast Metabolism Diet
Start Date: September 2006
Chips!! It's Chips for me
beachagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 07:15 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager7429 View Post
For me, my problem was never so much "sweets" per se -- like cake, pie, candy, etc. -- as much as it was breads, pasta, and starchy veggies like potatoes. With that being said, I do have to admit that while grocery shopping last night I found some Land-O-Lakes heavy whipped cream (in the aerosol can) sweetened with Splenda. I put a bit on some sugar free jello last night for dessert and it was HEAVENLY!
Oh yes, the evil bread.... ummmmmm My major downfall always!
Old 01-11-2008, 08:00 AM   #5
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: 2big4mysize
Stats: 313 to current goalie 169-173
WOE: Atkins 2002
Start Date: june 1 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasintrail View Post
I know that it can be hard when you're detoxing from sugar and your body is screaming for a piece of chocolate , but...

Part of the intention of induction is to break that habit of reaching for something sweet. Breaking your addiction to carbs is an important part of this WOE.

Do yourself a favor and do the cleanest 2 week induction you can. Skip the low-carb deserts, quit or cut down the diet sodas, skip the jello. Trust me, at the end of two weeks, you'll be suprised how sweet brocolli is! The bonus is that once you've broken the sugar habit, all of the things that seem so tempting now won't taste right and probably won't even smell good. I can't even walk down the baking isle in the grocery anymore! Can't stand the smell. (OK, in the interest of fairness, I still have to avoid the fresh bread like the plague )

thank you

please if you are a newbie try really hard to do those 14 days clean. As Dr Atkins said on Larry Kimg in 2003 it is only 14 days you got the rest of your life to have those foods ( he was referring to low carb treats and OWL legal stuff not allowed during induction)

You are going to be amazed at how your tastes change. I can tell you for the first 6 months I thought I wanted bread , so finally I moved to OWL and climbed the carb ladder to get bread for Christmas on '02 as I had told everybody to buy me some Atkins bread. Well I still got 5.5 of the 6 loaves I got cause once it was legal and I had it I didn't want it as much.
I could have low carb bread every day now but I only have it when I'm going out for burgers with folk which isn't very often. Now I prefer the low carb subs for bread like xullomondo's mock osol rolls and my new fav is Cleo's oopsie revolution rolls
2big4mysize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 08:40 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Bumpie....
Old 01-16-2008, 07:35 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: icecreamjunkie
Stats: 295/267/170
WOE: HCG Rx R2/P2 (6 week rounds)/JUDDD
Start Date: Jan 17, 2012 R1/ April 29th R2/ May 12 JUDDD
Ok, here is my evil fixation. I love my hot tea. It saves my voice when I am teaching (ie...yelling at middle schoolers to hush!). It wakes me up at 6 am when I am driving to school and relaxes me at bedtime so I can go off to lala land. I drink decaf heral teas. had to watch the barley, all of the holiday teas that I had have barley in them! BUT...I love a splash of cream in there! HELP! it is like crack or something for me! I don't need the other stuff...I can live of eggs, steak and grilled chicken....the cream in my tea....ugh....

any suggestions as to a substitute for that one???

icecreamjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 07:09 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentleykisser View Post
Ok, here is my evil fixation. I love my hot tea. It saves my voice when I am teaching (ie...yelling at middle schoolers to hush!). It wakes me up at 6 am when I am driving to school and relaxes me at bedtime so I can go off to lala land. I drink decaf heral teas. had to watch the barley, all of the holiday teas that I had have barley in them! BUT...I love a splash of cream in there! HELP! it is like crack or something for me! I don't need the other stuff...I can live of eggs, steak and grilled chicken....the cream in my tea....ugh....

any suggestions as to a substitute for that one???
I don't see anything wrong with a bit of cream in your tea. Are you using heavy cream or 1/2 & 1/2? You're allowed cream even on induction. It's a great way to get added fat with few carbs.

As long as the teas are carb free (or very close). Just avoid the ones with barley and you should be fine.

I don't mean to imply that you shouldn't have anything even remotely sweet during induction. I've just seen way too many people over the years that can't break their sweet addiction and end up failing. I really believe that doing induction without all of the "desserts" is one of the best things you can do for yourself on this journey.

PS - you are eating your veggies aren't you?
Old 01-17-2008, 11:43 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Red
Stats: 5'8 tall, 47 years young, 174/165/145
WOE: ATKINS
Start Date: Started Atkins 2003- Re-started induction 01/03/08
Quote:
Ok, here is my evil fixation. I love my hot tea. It saves my voice when I am teaching (ie...yelling at middle schoolers to hush!). It wakes me up at 6 am when I am driving to school and relaxes me at bedtime so I can go off to lala land. I drink decaf heral teas. had to watch the barley, all of the holiday teas that I had have barley in them! BUT...[COLOR="Red"]I love a splash of cream in there! HELP[/COLOR]! it is like crack or something for me! I don't need the other stuff...I can live of eggs, steak and grilled chicken....the cream in my tea....ugh....

[COLOR="red"]any suggestions as to a substitute for that one???
[/COLOR]

You can use Calorie Countdown Dairy Beverage (milk) instead of cream. Calorie Countdown (used to be Carb Countdown. I don't know why they changed the name..) has 3 carbs per CUP and Heavy Whipping Cream has <1 carb per Tbsp.

Hope this helps
Big Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 02:50 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wenig
Stats: 5'8"
Start Date: 1/3/12
What is in sf jello that would hinder my weight loss?
wenig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 03:20 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasintrail View Post
I don't see anything wrong with a bit of cream in your tea. Are you using heavy cream or 1/2 & 1/2? You're allowed cream even on induction. It's a great way to get added fat with few carbs.

As long as the teas are carb free (or very close). Just avoid the ones with barley and you should be fine.

I don't mean to imply that you shouldn't have anything even remotely sweet during induction. I've just seen way too many people over the years that can't break their sweet addiction and end up failing. I really believe that doing induction without all of the "desserts" is one of the best things you can do for yourself on this journey.

PS - you are eating your veggies aren't you?
Thanks Tamara! I am using heavy cream. Decaf barley free teas...or peppermint tea in the afternoon. I was eating my veggies...but didn't see any movement on the scales after a month (or in the tape measure) so I have cut back to the '72 version of atkins and I am going to give that another month and see where that goes. I lost a ton of weight (150lbs) over two years go by doing SB so I know the a LC WOE works...I just need to figure out what is getting me this time!
Old 01-17-2008, 06:04 PM   #12
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wenig View Post
What is in sf jello that would hinder my weight loss?
Aspartame.
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 08:02 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MINTYSHAKE
Stats: 166.5/140
WOE: LC
Start Date: Jan 2011
[QUOTE=bentleykisser;9804295]Ok, here is my evil fixation. I love my hot tea. QUOTE]

ME TOO! At night it is a god-send when I am craving something sweet- I go for the "dessert" type teas like Sugar Cookie, Eggnog, Gingerbread...despite the decadent names- no sugar-no carbs! Most of them are by Celestial Seasonings.
MINTYSHAKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 08:07 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

[quote=MINTYSHAKE;9816853]
Quote:
Ok, here is my evil fixation. I love my hot tea. QUOTE]

ME TOO! At night it is a god-send when I am craving something sweet- I go for the "dessert" type teas like Sugar Cookie, Eggnog, Gingerbread...despite the decadent names- no sugar-no carbs! Most of them are by Celestial Seasonings.
I hear ya Minty! if you find yourself stalling though check some of the teas...I know the cookie one and gingerbread has barley in it. So does the english toffee one! They are scrumptious!

Oh...I'll forgive you for being a Jimmy fan! lol....J/K! [COLOR="Blue"]Go Rocket Man[/COLOR]! I love NEWMAN!!! and I can't wait for February! I'm dying on Sunday afternoons!
Old 01-19-2008, 09:02 AM   #15
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
I'm not a sweets eater, but I love starches!

The great thing about starches is that celery and baked cheese, flax crackers, and home-made low-carb buns help me so immensely that I don't even miss starches anymore!
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 08:49 AM   #16
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Sorry for the threadjack but Bently your pic is gorgeous! You don't look like you need to lose weight at all!
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 04:09 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabinil View Post
Sorry for the threadjack but Bently your pic is gorgeous! You don't look like you need to lose weight at all!
God Bless you! I was actually 280 when that was taken and about 3 months after surgery for removal of a brain tumor. I decided it was time to get out there and try to date...so a friend of mine took the photo...did a little bit of retouching ( just to remove the bags under my eyes!) and I got on match.com. Met me some crazies!!! BUT then I met Kevin...the most amazing BF in the world! We had to drive to FLA to deliver a race car body to someone and he wanted a milkshake so bad....but he refused to stop and get one since I couldn't have one...he didnt want to be cruel! How perfect is that....that got him brownie points for a LONG time!
But thank you so much for the compliment! Notice you cant see below the chest? lol...there is a reason for that!
Old 02-02-2008, 09:59 AM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LosinAng
Stats: 167/158/150
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: 1/2008
I quit smoking about 6 months ago - and it was HARD - and I feel the same way now. It's like I know I don't WANT the carbs - but my brain tells me to go to the cabinet and grab something. It's just a battle of "no, you really don't" - like to smoke now wouldn't be as gratifying as it was a year ago - it would be downright gross I suspect... but my brain still tells me to smoke. I'm just treating carbs the same way. Just one more day, if I can make it today - I'll be fine... and tomorrow, I'll tell myself the same thing until I really am.
LosinAng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:44 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Glamour P!
Stats: Bigger than I should be..73 to go!
WOE: Vegetarian LC/LGL
Start Date: Every moment of everyday.
oldie, but goodie...bumpie
Glamour P! is offline   Reply With Quote