Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2006, 08:53 PM   #1

Gallery: Topazz
Continuing Induction, despite stalls

[COLOR=Purple]The Atkins Essentials book lists several more ways to deal with sluggish weight loss. This is a nutshell version

1.Get your body moving. Or switch up from one type of exercise to another.
2. Make sure you are not consuming more carbs than you think. Use a carb tracker, read labels.
3. Cut out higher carb foods such as olives, lemon juice, cream.
Also cut back on the serving sizes of cheese, do not use low carb products such as bar, shakes, candies.
4. Cut back on protein comsumption. Do not eat too much at one sitting.
5. Eat at least 3 meals a day. No more than 6 waking hours without eating.
6. Deal with constipation, if you have it.
7. Be sure to drink at least eight 8 ounce glasses of water each day.
8. Curb artificial sweeteners. They are 1 carb per packet. Just 5 a day is 1/4 of your carb limit for the entire day.
9. Cut out caffiene. Switch to decaf coffee, tea and colas.

The bottom line is that weight loss is a very individual matter and each person will respond differently to consuming only 20 grams of net carbs a day. Because everyone's situation and metabolism is different, the Atkins Nutritional Approach is designed to be individualized to your tastes and needs. If you are not happy with your results, rather than thinking of adandoning the plan, make adjustments until it begins working for you.

If you have to cut back on carbs to launch your weight loss, you can add them back in a week or two, once your body had made the shift and is cruising along in fat-burning mode. So if you are not losing at 20 grams of net carbs a day, cut back to 15 for a few days.
[/COLOR]
Topazz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2006, 10:25 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: k_escobar
Stats: 130/125/115 5'3
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 11/12/2006
Exercise has made a big difference during Induction for me this time around. I lost five lbs. this week (wk. one) by following the induction rules and getting cardio in everyday regardless of if I felt energetic. I think for me, the exercise was the key to jumpstart the loss and putting my body to work burning all my old carbs and then hitting the fat. We'll see what happens next week, I might be jinxing myself!
k_escobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 06:14 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Caretaker
Stats: 176/165/146
WOE: Atkins Restart
Start Date: 1/31/06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topazz View Post
[COLOR=purple]The Atkins Essentials book lists several more ways to deal with sluggish weight loss. This is a nutshell version[/COLOR]

[COLOR=purple]1.Get your body moving. Or switch up from one type of exercise to another.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=purple]2. Make sure you are not consuming more carbs than you think. Use a carb tracker, read labels.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=purple]3. Cut out higher carb foods such as olives, lemon juice, cream.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=purple]Also cut back on the serving sizes of cheese, do not use low carb products such as bar, shakes, candies.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=purple]4. Cut back on protein comsumption. Do not eat too much at one sitting.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=purple]5. Eat at least 3 meals a day. No more than 6 waking hours without eating.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=purple]6. Deal with constipation, if you have it.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=purple]7. Be sure to drink at least eight 8 ounce glasses of water each day.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=purple]8. Curb artificial sweeteners. They are 1 carb per packet. Just 5 a day is 1/4 of your carb limit for the entire day.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=purple]9. Cut out caffiene. Switch to decaf coffee, tea and colas.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=purple]The bottom line is that weight loss is a very individual matter and each person will respond differently to consuming only 20 grams of net carbs a day. Because everyone's situation and metabolism is different, the Atkins Nutritional Approach is designed to be individualized to your tastes and needs. If you are not happy with your results, rather than thinking of adandoning the plan, make adjustments until it begins working for you.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=purple]If you have to cut back on carbs to launch your weight loss, you can add them back in a week or two, once your body had made the shift and is cruising along in fat-burning mode. So if you are not losing at 20 grams of net carbs a day, cut back to 15 for a few days.[/COLOR]

Hi, I am in week 2 of induction and have seem to hit the wall. I am a stickler for making sure I have checked off the things that you have listed but my question is for your point #4 Do we know exactly/approximately how much protein is recommended at a sitting/daily? Thanks in advance to anyone who can help
Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 07:57 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Honey Vanilla
Stats: Too big for my britches!
I have the Atkins Essentials book that Topazz quoted from, but I don't remember seeing anything about how much protein exactly per sitting or daily. If I have time, I'll try to re-read it and see if there is something in another chapter about it.
Honey Vanilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 02:06 PM   #5
Margarita tart

Gallery: pepperann58
great info! thanks for sharing.
pepperann58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 09:53 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: todunlop
Stats: 248/199.8/180
Start Date: 1/2/07
I seem to have hit a wall to. I've read on here somewhere that if you take your lean body weight (you know the one we're all triing to acheive) and multipli that by .6 that is how much protein your body needs a day. If you exercise add 10. Well when I checked my protein intake on ****** I was quite a bit over the number so I've cut back on protein a little to see if it will make a difference.
todunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 02:56 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: aiesha76
WOE: atkins
Start Date: jan 2007
me and my boyfriend have done all sorts of diets were now both on atkins i allways try to exercise and he doesnt he looses the weight i dont doesnt seem fair im allways told exercise builds muscle wich weighs lots so may not show up as weight loss.thats true i know but disheartening!! this time around though im still exercising boyfriend not and he lost 1 lb in 3 days and i lost 4 and half,, we both eat same so must be exercise and fact i drink more water, about time i say!!!!

my advice= stick with diet drink water and exercise only thing. dont give up when you have no weight loss if your doing it right you will loose the fat.
aiesha76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 05:31 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: melinda4952
Stats: 148 / 142/ highest 157
WOE: I am back on induction low carb
Start Date: Jan 21 / 07
Hey Caretaker
I am back on induction I have been using keto sticks
I am up to a trace...
I have cut out any alcohol and have been drinking lot's of tea w/ splenda
ahhh who knew... no more splenda for me
I clean houses so the exercise is there for me
thanks for the info!
Melinda4952
melinda4952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 06:23 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: fattyfromflorida
help

i am just starting the low carb (again!) and last time i was on day 4 and got so sick..light headed, dizzy , foggy .. felt like i had to go home from work ,, i had some sugar free hot choc and felt 100x better.. what can i do to get thru this.. i am a big water drinker so that cant be it.. im sure its withdrawl but what do i do?????
fattyfromflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 09:52 AM   #10
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: kristina
Stats: Pant size 22W Petite
Start Date: July 17, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey Vanilla View Post
I have the Atkins Essentials book that Topazz quoted from, but I don't remember seeing anything about how much protein exactly per sitting or daily. If I have time, I'll try to re-read it and see if there is something in another chapter about it.
I don't remember anything about the amount other than stop eating when you're just satisfied. If you overeat protein, he says it turns to glucose. I would think it would turn to fat, but who knows
kristina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 05:55 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Caretaker
Stats: 176/165/146
WOE: Atkins Restart
Start Date: 1/31/06
Hi Melinda
Welcome Back! I am also restarting induction. I have been pretty sick for about 6 weeks (sinus infec., bronchitis and walking pneumonia) HAPPY NEW YEAR! I had lost 12 lbs before that and was working out every day but after living on crackers and toast while I was sick I am starting all over again. After being majorly depressed yeasterday, my head is back in the game today and I am ready to start fresh.

Good luck Melinda. Do you want to set an induction goal similar to what I did and we can check in to cheer each other on?

[COLOR=navy]WOE: Atkins; Restart 1/31/07[/COLOR]
[COLOR=red]176/[COLOR=teal]165[/COLOR]/146[/COLOR]

[COLOR=orange]Goal #1: [/COLOR][COLOR=darkorchid]166lbs by 2/14/07 [/COLOR][COLOR=red]DONE!!! [/COLOR][COLOR=#9932cc](goal reached on 2/11/07)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Goal #2: [/COLOR][COLOR=seagreen]156lbs by 4/21/07[/COLOR]
[COLOR=magenta]Finish Line: [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]146lbs by 8/24/07[/COLOR]

[COLOR=red]http://www.******.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=goal146[/COLOR]

Last edited by Caretaker; 01-31-2007 at 05:59 AM..
Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 04:21 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Joy24
Stats: 213 1st Mini goal 185 Goal 170
WOE: WOE Induction
Start Date: restart 01/25/2008
Not loseing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caretaker View Post
Hi, I am in week 2 of induction and have seem to hit the wall. I am a stickler for making sure I have checked off the things that you have listed but my question is for your point #4 Do we know exactly/approximately how much protein is recommended at a sitting/daily? Thanks in advance to anyone who can help
caretaker. I did atkins 3 yrs ago and maintained my weight? Im trying to lose more now, but I never was that strick with cutting all the things you had posted.can you write me a menu for each meal for me to stick to? I usally have 2 eggs with turkey bacon or sliced turkey for breakfast with 1 piece of cheese. 2 cups coffee with a bit of stevia and half and half and 3 12 oz glasses of water..
Lunch i bring chicken salad ready made or tuna fish in a cup with slices of cucumbers and bed of greens.

Dinner either 2 burgers or chicken with brocoli
sf jello with whipped cream
2 cups of decaf coffee and more water thats all i eat daily

can you this up for me and tell me the carbs for my day and what you think i should add to my daily foods Joy
Joy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 07:44 PM   #13
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: sjmiller
Stats: 182/125/125
Start Date: 12/29/03
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy24 View Post
I usally have 2 eggs with turkey bacon or sliced turkey for breakfast with 1 piece of cheese. 2 cups coffee with a bit of stevia and half and half and 3 12 oz glasses of water..
Lunch i bring chicken salad ready made or tuna fish in a cup with slices of cucumbers and bed of greens.

Dinner either 2 burgers or chicken with brocoli
sf jello with whipped cream
2 cups of decaf coffee and more water thats all i eat daily

can you this up for me and tell me the carbs for my day and what you think i should add to my daily foods Joy

You need to do your own carb counts... doing that for yourself is IMPORTANT! I could tell you anything!

I can tell you that you're not eating enough vegetables.

The Atkins carb counter is here:

http://www.atkins.com/carb-counter/?...carb%20counter

And the USDA site is here:

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

And there's www.******.com

You're not eating enough... both in food and in carbs.
sjmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 04:47 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Joy24
Stats: 213 1st Mini goal 185 Goal 170
WOE: WOE Induction
Start Date: restart 01/25/2008
stalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmiller View Post
You need to do your own carb counts... doing that for yourself is IMPORTANT! I could tell you anything!

I can tell you that you're not eating enough vegetables.

The Atkins carb counter is here:

http://www.atkins.com/carb-counter/?...carb%20counter

And the USDA site is here:

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

And there's www.******.com

You're not eating enough... both in food and in carbs.
Hi what do you mean Im not e ating enough? what should i eat then?
I did atkins before and lost why not now.Veggies make me very gasy and bloated.On the scale again this morning Im up 2 lbs! whats going on?
I havent had TOM in over 2 months going through my changes i guess. but i dont think that should matter. Please how many cups of veggies do I need to eat Joy.
Joy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 05:32 AM   #15
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: sjmiller
Stats: 182/125/125
Start Date: 12/29/03
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy24 View Post
Hi what do you mean Im not e ating enough? what should i eat then?
I did atkins before and lost why not now.Veggies make me very gasy and bloated.On the scale again this morning Im up 2 lbs! whats going on?
I havent had TOM in over 2 months going through my changes i guess. but i dont think that should matter. Please how many cups of veggies do I need to eat Joy.
It's not a matter of how many cups... it's a matter of getting 12-15 net carbs from vegetables.

There's 54 vegetables on the Induction food list... they can't all make you bloated?

You can be up on the scale for many reasons... not enough water, not enough vegetables.

Menopause can certainly have an effect... though I did Atkins and menopause at the same time.
sjmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 09:17 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tweezybird
Stalled!!!

I've been on induction for 2 weeks and the first week I lost about 7lb, gained about 1.5 back and am now stalled.

Here's a menu:

today I had 2 cups coffee with 1.5 tbls cream and 1 tsp splenda. This is not typical, I usually have 1 cup tea, no cream or sugar.
1 tsp fibre w/ water- 5 carbs

2 eggs scrambled w/butter and 6 strips bacon, crispy.

usually no lunch as I'm not hungry but if I do it's a thin hamburger patty with mayo.
Dinner is either a large chick breast w/ a slice of cheese and dollop of homemade salsa or a large (7 oz maybe) serving of steak or 2 hamburger patties w/ mayo.
Then a mix of some lettuce, mushie, cukes, and snow peas.
I drink plenty of water.
I tried doing ******.com but I would have to input every food that they do not have in their database and I just don't have the time right now.

BTW, I had been snacking on pork rinds but when I stalled I gave them up.
Help,

Terri
tweezybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 06:32 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisap36
Stats: 295/279.5/160
Start Date: 05/06/2013
This is what I've heard: your body is going through a lot. The first week you always lose more (mostly water weight). It takes time for your body to adjust. My first week I lost 3.5 lbs (no water weight since I was coming straight from a different "diet" and yes I know this isn't a diet), my second week I gained 2 back, but then the 3rd week I lost 3.6 again! We'll see what tomorrow holds, that's my 4 wk marker when I weigh. I think there are a lot of people who don't lose every week. Just don't give up. I'm sure someone with more experience will review your menu. Hang in there Tweezy!

Last edited by lisap36; 04-22-2007 at 06:33 PM..
lisap36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 06:36 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: msmoni
Stats: 168
WOE: Intro Atkins
Start Date: 4.30.12
Good Advice Topazz~Thanks for sharing.
msmoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 02:20 PM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: countryrozes
Stats: 170/164/139
Start Date: Jan 2008
I am new to the boards, but wanted to come on here, since it seems many of you have been on atkins before. I am on second day induction and having the worst headaches. Is this normal? I went and bought those ketostix, and im still not even a trace. I have been drinking lots of water, and will admit that I probably over ate, not carb wise, but eating pork rinds.. and large meals, I just felt so hungry. Today I decided not to cave in to eating, and just drink water, although i just cant seem to get my head on straight. lol. I am dying for something with carbs or actual sugar. Maybe thats why I have a headache? The one good thing tho, is I don't feel so bloated right now, but hopefully will start seeing a trace of something on those stix. Any advice would be appreciated.. Sorry I am all over the place, just cant seem to concentrate today.
countryrozes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 04:09 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: guardian
Stats: 232/222.6/182 (-9.4lbs)
Start Date: 2 jan 2012
How many proteins max?
guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 08:37 PM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SAMMIE62
Stats: 240/232/199
Start Date: 11/18/08
I have lost 30 pounds finally and for the last 2 weeks I have lost the same two pounds over and over grrr I'm sure the scales will move someday.
SAMMIE62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 12:07 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Joybird
Start Date: Oct 8/07
Induction Week 2

Thanks for the helpful hints, I too have started week 2 of induction
had a weight loss of 3lbs last week, the things suggested for the stalls I will give a try this week. Thanks to all
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wTuvV5R/]

Last edited by Joybird; 10-15-2007 at 12:22 PM..
Joybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 05:46 PM   #23
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JessicaH
Stats: 5'8"
WOE: Atkins/REAL Food
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryrozes View Post
I am new to the boards, but wanted to come on here, since it seems many of you have been on atkins before. I am on second day induction and having the worst headaches. Is this normal? I went and bought those ketostix, and im still not even a trace. I have been drinking lots of water, and will admit that I probably over ate, not carb wise, but eating pork rinds.. and large meals, I just felt so hungry. Today I decided not to cave in to eating, and just drink water, although i just cant seem to get my head on straight. lol. I am dying for something with carbs or actual sugar. Maybe thats why I have a headache? The one good thing tho, is I don't feel so bloated right now, but hopefully will start seeing a trace of something on those stix. Any advice would be appreciated.. Sorry I am all over the place, just cant seem to concentrate today.
Country... Headaches are common while your body goes through carb withdrawl. Especially if you were a big carb eater or caffiene drinker.

However, if you are feeling disoriented and/or getting the shakes, you should try eating smaller meals every couple of hours. Many people on this board have written about hypoglycemia and they need to eat every couple of hours to keep from getting the shakes and feeling disoriented.

The carb cravings will ease up with a little time and don't count completely on the keto stix. Everyone has a different opinion on when to test, but your body will burn the food first, so I always found the best time to test was first thing in the morning. That way, my body had burned any foods I had eaten and would definitely show if I was in ketosis.

Some people never show on the stix, but you will be able to tell by the scale and by the 'pants-o-meter' . Best wishes to you and welcome!
JessicaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 04:45 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BeThin
Stats: 205/192.2/140
Start Date: 1-8-08/NEW 1-12-12
Hi,
I am new to the boards, been doing Akins for 2 weeks. I love the information that I am getting from the boards.

The ketone sticks, when is the best time to use them. I seem to be pink in the morning but not at night. Does this mean that I throw my self out of ketosis by the end of the day??
BeThin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 06:41 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: icecreamjunkie
Stats: 295/267/170
WOE: HCG Rx R2/P2 (6 week rounds)/JUDDD
Start Date: Jan 17, 2012 R1/ April 29th R2/ May 12 JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisap36 View Post
This is what I've heard: your body is going through a lot. The first week you always lose more (mostly water weight). It takes time for your body to adjust. My first week I lost 3.5 lbs (no water weight since I was coming straight from a different "diet" and yes I know this isn't a diet), my second week I gained 2 back, but then the 3rd week I lost 3.6 again! We'll see what tomorrow holds, that's my 4 wk marker when I weigh. I think there are a lot of people who don't lose every week. Just don't give up. I'm sure someone with more experience will review your menu. Hang in there Tweezy!
I too saw the same kind of thing! The first week I may have lost like a lb. The second week I think I gained it back and then this morning I got on the scale and had lost 4 lbs! WHEW, I was happy as can be! I know 4lbs isnt much, but hey, it is 4lbs less and that is all that matters!

I wasn't sure if I was doing it right or not! I had been eating pretty healthy and had always kinda did the low carb thing for the past 4 years (I lost almost 150lbs three years ago now) so I just didnt know if my body was already kinda in that mode or not. We will see as the weeks go on! I think I may be eating too much protein though and def. not enough veggies most days! I love meat though! lol...this is perfect for me!

icecreamjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 03:18 PM   #26
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: edenedee
Stats: haha.. rather not say just yet.
Start Date: 1/19/08
can sugar free gum stall your weight loss? and I know I can't have caffeine on induction is that b/c it triggers cravings? just wondering..??
edenedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 01:46 AM   #27
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Normabella
Stats: 200/189/150
Start Date: January 2008
Can toasted pumpkin seeds (pepitas) stall my weight los.

I eat it for snacks, or in the evening while waching TV, about handfull.

Thanks, for your ansver.
Normabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 01:11 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mom2carli
Stats: 301/160('04-'05) 248.5/184/160(current)
Start Date: Restarted: April 10, 2008 (After baby 4)
These hints are the key to our success in the WOL. Thanks
mom2carli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:32 AM   #29
Junior LCF Member

Stats: 284/267/175
Start Date: April 2008
Does anyone know why the Atkins shakes and bars aren't allowed during Induction? I need a food plan with little prep since I go to school and work full-time. I was just going to supplement my breakfast and lunch with shakes that are Atkins brand and 2g of net carbs per. I'm confused as to why I can't use them yet.
Luckyunderladders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 09:26 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Moretta
Stats: 158.6/129/125
WOE: LC of some sort undecided which one
Start Date: March 28, 2008
Quote:
Luckyunderladders Does anyone know why the Atkins shakes and bars aren't allowed during Induction? I need a food plan with little prep since I go to school and work full-time. I was just going to supplement my breakfast and lunch with shakes that are Atkins brand and 2g of net carbs per. I'm confused as to why I can't use them yet.
Trying making your own.

Here are a few to get you started:

Cafe Mocha or Peppermint Cafe Mocha

2 tbsp heavy cream
1 cup water
1 tsp instant coffee
1 1/2 scoops of chocolate shake mix
ice cubes

Sometimes I had more cream which makes it taste better, also add peppermint patty sf DaVinci syrup if I want the peppermint flavor.

Rasberry shake

2 tbsp heavy cream - more if you want
1 cup water
3 tbsp rasberry sf DaVinci syrup - more if you want
1 1/2 scoops of vanilla shake mix
ice cubes

Chocolate Peanut butter shake

2 tbsp heavy cream (I usually add 4 tbsp for this shake)
1 cup water
2 tbsp natural peanut butter
1 1/2 scoops chocolate shake mix
ice cubes

Hope this helps.
Moretta is offline   Reply With Quote