Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2011, 06:24 AM   #91
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shellyshebby
Stats: 260/202/180 5'9"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 10/18/13
Thanks for the induction tips. There's so much great stuff to read here on this website!
shellyshebby is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2011, 02:19 PM   #92
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: pcaltman
Stats: 175/170/130 5'7"
WOE: Atkins 72',Primal, Paleo
Start Date: Working on it everyday:)
Moretta: OMG, thank you for the shake recipes. After induction you can add:

Raspberries-17 average size
Blueberries-21 average size
Strawberries-13 average size

All equals 5 added carbs and great in shakes. I might add 3-4 and keep the carb count down. I have also found caffeine stalls me, so I switched to decaf. Add more fat to the diet. Not enough stalls me too. Good luck. I love this site.
pcaltman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:21 AM   #93
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SharonB61
Stats: 168/132/135
WOE: VLC / IF
I've been on strict induction almost 4 weeks now and only dropped 3lbs. Guess my metabolism is kaput! Not sure where to go from here........
SharonB61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:24 AM   #94
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rice paddie
Stats: 259/200/155
WOE: a little of this plan, a little of that plan...
Start Date: 6/4/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonB61 View Post
I've been on strict induction almost 4 weeks now and only dropped 3lbs. Guess my metabolism is kaput! Not sure where to go from here........
Hang in there. I've been where you are now. I know it's discouraging but if you stick with it I think you'll have a breakthrough and start losing. When I stalled, I did just a ton of reading on the boards here and found some tips that really helped me out.

I've been on this diet since 6/4 and while I dropped weight consistently in the first 4 weeks or so, I hit a wall after that. I was stuck hovering at the same weight. I was doing the induction plan by the book and not cheating at all but I just couldn't seem to get the scale to move. My ketostix were consistently dark pink/purple so I knew I was in ketosis but the pounds just wouldn't drop.

I spent hours reading through the message board posts and got a lot of helpful tips. The biggest tip was tracking my meals/weight/actvities on the Fit Day website. I was already logging that information on a different website but the Fit Day website was much more comprehensive and showed me a breakdown of my daily intake of fat, protein and carbs which I think has really helped. According to a lot of the posters on the message boards here, I should be shooting for 60-70% fat, 20-30% protein and 5% carbs (with no more than 20 net carbs total) on a daily basis.

In addition, I realized that I really needed to get off my butt more and ratchet up the exercise. I had been biking 3 days a week for approximately 30 minutes at a time. Clearly that wasn't enough. Some people can lose weight without problems on the Atkins diet without any exercise by simply following the low carb diet but other people's metabolisms are much more resistant to losing weight and have to increase their activity level. I guess I must fit into the latter category because despite my best efforts with the diet, that darn scale just wouldn't budge. Several of the posters on the message boards recommended the Jillian Michaels exercise videos. I also have a co-worker who's currently using the JM 30 Day Shred video with some success so I went to the store and picked up the JM Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism video. The workout is approximately 1 hour long (including warm up and cool down) and it really kicked my butt!.....but it felt good. I had to modify several of the exercises in the video because it made my knees really hurt but I figure that will change as I lose weight and build more muscle. I'm hopeful that I'll be able to follow the video to the letter and do every exercise without modification before too long.

Another helpful tip I got off these message boards was in regards to the use of artificial sweeteners....specifically Aspartame. I had been adding a packet of Wyler's Light Singles to Go mix to my bottles of water because it made it easier to drink all of the water that was required on the diet plan. One of the ingredients in the packets is Aspartame. According to a lot of the posters on the boards, Aspartame can cause some people's weight loss to stall. So, with a little sadness (because those little packets made my water taste so darn good!), I gave up my Wyler's packets and have been drinking just plain water.

In addition to all of the helpful suggestions, this website is just chock full of yummy recipes! I was worried that I would get bored with my choices under the plan but there were just so many low carb recipe choices available on the site that I'm confident that I'll be able to stay on track.

I started incorporating all of the suggestions into my diet/exercise routine and lo and behold after several days I finally got a DARK PURPLE ketostix reading. Even better, when I stepped on the scale, it showed that I was down 1 pound too! The scale has been moving slowly but surely downward since that time. So, I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that all of these changes will continue to yield consistent weight loss......

I'm not sure if any of those tips would help you but it might be worth a shot. Hang in there!
rice paddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:26 AM   #95
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Bubbbles2002
So this is my 2nd time around on Atkins. I am on my 3rd week. I lost about 5-6 lbs the first week, last week....nothing, gained and lost the same lb over and over. When I did this before I would lose a lb a day Last week I thought it was because of the sugar alcohols so I have cut them out, still really nothing. I did eat a lot of cheese on Friday night, maybe that has something to do with it? I thought cheese was ok though? Even if the cheese is 0 carbs you still should eat too much, is that what I have been reading? Thanks for anyone that can help
Bubbbles2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:13 PM   #96
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SharonB61
Stats: 168/132/135
WOE: VLC / IF
Well, it's now 2 months since I started induction, and only lost 6lbs. I ramped up the exercise, cut out aspartame, drank more water. No change.
SharonB61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 04:04 PM   #97
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cinbunny
Stats: 183/137/125
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: 4/11/11
How many packs of splenda would you recommend a day?
cinbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:51 AM   #98
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LoriL8066
Stats: 242/221/160-170..5'8"
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: February 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbbles2002 View Post
So this is my 2nd time around on Atkins. I am on my 3rd week. I lost about 5-6 lbs the first week, last week....nothing, gained and lost the same lb over and over. When I did this before I would lose a lb a day Last week I thought it was because of the sugar alcohols so I have cut them out, still really nothing. I did eat a lot of cheese on Friday night, maybe that has something to do with it? I thought cheese was ok though? Even if the cheese is 0 carbs you still should eat too much, is that what I have been reading? Thanks for anyone that can help
Bubbles- this is approximate 2.5 wks for me maybe closer to 3. The first week I lost 8 lbs. The 2nd week only 1 lb not sure yet either what I'm doing wrong. I'm assuming the 8lbs was mostly water. But I'm really trying hard. Trying to eat mostly meat, cheeses, eggs. etc. I looked on the Atkins allowable induction list, cheese is on there. So idk.
LoriL8066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 04:42 PM   #99
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Bear
Stats: Start Weight 261lbs, Current Wt: 253, Goal: 235
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Aug 7th, 2011
Hey guys (and gals)! I'm at the end of my 2nd week on Atkins and I'm really bummed. I started at 261 and was down to 249....which was GREAT! but I got on the scale this a.m. and had gained 2lbs!!!! I have eaten really clean (meat, eggs, small amount of cheese.... did I mention meat & eggs???) Is it common to gain weight?

Thanks for any help!
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:05 AM   #100
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: The Clan
Hi I'm also finding it hard to stay in ketosis, I've been doing induction for 4 weeks and a day but while I do get into ketosis it's normally straight after a huge workout and then I'm out of it the following day.

I lost about 17lbs in the first two weeks but I've been stuck at 18st 2lbs for over two weeks and that's despite working out at least 6 times a week for 1.5 hours. I do a very short weights programme then two cardio exercises that take about 50 mins then swim for 20 mins, sauna, hydropool. With this sort of workout routine I would expect to be losing weight anyway but as I said for the last 2 weeks not a single pound. When I check my ketone strips after a workout it's dark purple but by mid day the next day there are no ketones showing.

My diet consists of scrambled egg with cheese & butter, lots of steak, chicken breast, bacon, sausage, fried eggs, salad tomato, lettuce, cucumber, peppers, mushrooms, onion, most of what I cook is fried in extra virgin olive oil.

I drink lots of decaf coffee with skimmed milk and a half teaspoon of sweetener, I guzzle loads of fresh water. I have an Atkins bar every three days or so just to keep the chocolate gremlins at bay.

I'm happy that I can get into ketosis after a workout as it shows that I'm forcing my body to burn fats during a workout but I'm not sure why I'm not staying in ketosis and not losing any more weight.

If anyone has any helpful suggestions or can spot a glaring error please let me know.
The Clan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:40 AM   #101
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Jazzysmom
Stats: 233/189/150
WOE: atkins/modified
Start Date: April 2011
Hi Clan,

I too was (am again) in this spot. I looked at your menu and see you are using skimmed milk. I read that it has more carbs than regular milk. I started to use half and half and the weight loss started again and now after a couple of weeks has stalled. I have been reading lots of posts here and it seems this is normal. Hang in there and see if drinking the half and half gets you going again. For me it was short lived but maybe it will work better for you. I have given up dairy this week to see if that makes a diffrence. Good luck, I hope it helps.
Jazzysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:26 PM   #102
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cheshire girl
Stats: 184/154.4/150 5'7"
Start Date: April 8 - 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Clan View Post
Hi I'm also finding it hard to stay in ketosis, I've been doing induction for 4 weeks and a day but while I do get into ketosis it's normally straight after a huge workout and then I'm out of it the following day.

I lost about 17lbs in the first two weeks but I've been stuck at 18st 2lbs for over two weeks and that's despite working out at least 6 times a week for 1.5 hours. I do a very short weights programme then two cardio exercises that take about 50 mins then swim for 20 mins, sauna, hydropool. With this sort of workout routine I would expect to be losing weight anyway but as I said for the last 2 weeks not a single pound. When I check my ketone strips after a workout it's dark purple but by mid day the next day there are no ketones showing.

My diet consists of scrambled egg with cheese & butter, lots of steak, chicken breast, bacon, sausage, fried eggs, salad tomato, lettuce, cucumber, peppers, mushrooms, onion, most of what I cook is fried in extra virgin olive oil.

I drink lots of decaf coffee with skimmed milk and a half teaspoon of sweetener, I guzzle loads of fresh water. I have an Atkins bar every three days or so just to keep the chocolate gremlins at bay.

I'm happy that I can get into ketosis after a workout as it shows that I'm forcing my body to burn fats during a workout but I'm not sure why I'm not staying in ketosis and not losing any more weight.

If anyone has any helpful suggestions or can spot a glaring error please let me know.
Hang on in there! Back in April I was having the same issues that you mention, but I stuck with it and I'm now a pound away from 30lbs down!

Firstly stop the milk, as mentioned it has more carbs than regular milk but even that is too many carbs so switch to heavy whipping cream (double cream in the uk) or half and half, but cream is lower.

Also I know everyone says exercise but sometimes you replace fat weight with muscle weight so try to ease up a touch and see if that helps - I have down zero exercise apart from occasional walks.

Lastly don't think you are not in ketosis just because of the colour of the strips, they are notoriously unreliable, if you are under 20 carbs you will be in ketosis - have you had the Atkins breath/taste?

Good luck
Cheshire girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:30 PM   #103
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cheshire girl
Stats: 184/154.4/150 5'7"
Start Date: April 8 - 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonB61 View Post
Why not post your food diary and others may spot something? Don't give up it will happen if you stick with it!
Cheshire girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 06:46 PM   #104
Junior LCF Member

Thanks to everyone for the replies the advice is most welcome.

The fitness regime is really a necessity as I'm soon to become a PE teacher, hence the increased desire to lose weight (fat).
Old 09-07-2011, 03:54 AM   #105
Junior LCF Member

Update:
I've been doing induction since the 18th July and after initially losing about 18lbs in around 3/4 weeks I hit a stall. For approximately 3 weeks I couldn't get below 18st 2lbs and started to get frustrated, I do a lot of workouts and calmed myself by remembering that muscle gain would account for some of the weight I was carrying. Most of all I could see from my body shape that I was still peeling off fat and that gave me encouragement too.

Eventually I decided to have a day off from strict induction and I allowed myself a cookie, and a visit to a Chinese buffet with my children where I still chose carefully but had a good array of different dishes.

I don't know if that day off triggered it but I have begun to lose weight again almost immediately after that day off, I'm now down to 17st 12lbs from my original starting weight of 19st 7lbs.

Still some way to go but apart from the odd day where I have cravings for a few minutes, I'm very happy to stick to the induction regime.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:14 AM   #106
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: christinao
Stats: 215/205/150
Start Date: April 12, 2010
I have not read this whole thread so forgive me if someone has mentioned this already, but lately I have gone through periods where I have been almost violently hungry. I get very, very sick and feel like I am just cramming food down my throat. I have been staying on induction and had lost 12lbs by week 4, however on week 5 I gained a pound, and and am maintaining that same pound gain on this, my 6th week. Though the gain and stall is frustrating, I am VERY motivated to stick with this, I just wondered if anyone had that before. I hope it is just my body adjusting to my resolve, since this is the longest I've gone on Atkins with no cheat. Thanks ahead of time for any responses.
christinao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:04 AM   #107
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by christinao View Post
...I have been almost violently hungry. I get very, very sick and feel like I am just cramming food down my throat.
That sounds like low blood-sugar, and you can get dips as your body gets used to ketosis. If you have diabetes or have struggled with hypoglycemia, the blood sugar dips may not go away. Eating 5-6 small meals a day to keep your levels evened out will help. Make sure you get some carbs in every meal, too. Your body will eventually get used to burning fat instead of sugar.
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:16 AM   #108
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Susannaj4
Stats: 191/183/145 5'9"
Start Date: Nov 9,2011--Again
Has anyone thought about yeast? Mushrooms and cheese are two things I have to watch because it creates yeast in the belly.(bloating) I remember reading in the first Atkins book that if you looked at your tongue in the mirror it would be white from the yeast in your system. So I tested all the foods that were on induction, after discovering that, to see which ones adversely affected my weight. Yeast is a major problem with some people. It was with my mom and she was diabetic.
Susannaj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:55 PM   #109
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bensonsteve21
Well, I am also thinking of taking this course for my wife, she is becoming over weight after her first pregnancy. but i need results how much time is enough for noticing results.
bensonsteve21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:44 PM   #110
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: aliciaannb
Stats: 11
WOE: Arkins
Start Date: 3/12/2012
How often should I be weighing myself, I feel with the Induction Phase of Atkins that I should be monitoring daily to see if anything is stalling me to I can modify it immediately. Does this sound like the right method - I feel like a weighin in junkie! Weighing in daily is also affecting I think how I'm perceiving my weight loss, I have been on induction for 11 days and have lost 11 lbs, there are days I lose 1 lb, days 2 lbs, and other days nothing and since I'm weighing daily when I don't lose it lowers my cofidence in what I'm doing.
aliciaannb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:47 PM   #111
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: aliciaannb
Stats: 11
WOE: Arkins
Start Date: 3/12/2012
Quote:
I have not read this whole thread so forgive me if someone has mentioned this already, but lately I have gone through periods where I have been almost violently hungry. I get very, very sick and feel like I am just cramming food down my throat. I have been staying on induction and had lost 12lbs by week 4, however on week 5 I gained a pound, and and am maintaining that same pound gain on this, my 6th week. Though the gain and stall is frustrating, I am VERY motivated to stick with this, I just wondered if anyone had that before. I hope it is just my body adjusting to my resolve, since this is the longest I've gone on Atkins with no cheat. Thanks ahead of time for any responses.
I have only been on for 11 days but I seem to have the same outcome on different days - some days I'm starving and feel like I could eat everything in the house to the point that I feel sick and get headaches, and others I don't feel very hungry at all. I feel I am still not in control of my hunger.
aliciaannb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:52 PM   #112
Administrator

Gallery: cheri
Stats: 150 + pounds lost - 4' 11"
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliciaannb View Post
How often should I be weighing myself, I feel with the Induction Phase of Atkins that I should be monitoring daily to see if anything is stalling me to I can modify it immediately. Does this sound like the right method - I feel like a weighin in junkie! Weighing in daily is also affecting I think how I'm perceiving my weight loss, I have been on induction for 11 days and have lost 11 lbs, there are days I lose 1 lb, days 2 lbs, and other days nothing and since I'm weighing daily when I don't lose it lowers my cofidence in what I'm doing.

Its best to pick one day a week to weigh.. Most people weigh on Mondays as it is the beginning of the week.. You are right.. it can be discouraging on the no lose days but think about how much you have lost to date!! 11 pounds in 11 days?? That is fantastic!!! Make sure you also measure because if you do stop losing for a few days in a row you can see that your body may still be shrinking inches.. and inches are better because they show!!

cheri
cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:13 AM   #113
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: josielynntaylor
Stats: 165/158/125
Start Date: March 13, 2012
I use the bars during induction, and it doesn't hurt my weight loss, but I know that everyone is different. The main thing that I notice if my weight stalls is because I did not drink enough water through the day. That is the one thing I tend to forget a lot!!
josielynntaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:51 PM   #114
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cabinlover
Stats: 230/226/150
Start Date: march 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Clan View Post
Update:
I've been doing induction since the 18th July and after initially losing about 18lbs in around 3/4 weeks I hit a stall. For approximately 3 weeks I couldn't get below 18st 2lbs and started to get frustrated, I do a lot of workouts and calmed myself by remembering that muscle gain would account for some of the weight I was carrying. Most of all I could see from my body shape that I was still peeling off fat and that gave me encouragement too.

Eventually I decided to have a day off from strict induction and I allowed myself a cookie, and a visit to a Chinese buffet with my children where I still chose carefully but had a good array of different dishes.

I don't know if that day off triggered it but I have begun to lose weight again almost immediately after that day off, I'm now down to 17st 12lbs from my original starting weight of 19st 7lbs.

Still some way to go but apart from the odd day where I have cravings for a few minutes, I'm very happy to stick to the induction regime.

I have found ( and ive done this diet for along time on and off!) that if you hit a stall, go off for a day or 2 then back on induction, for me i start to lose weight fast again after that
cabinlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 03:33 PM   #115
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MadCommodore
I'm currently on a break so will give it 2 days now
MadCommodore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:42 AM   #116
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Vita oldie
Stats: 160 want to be below 140
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: June 2012
Colours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caretaker View Post
Hi Melinda
Welcome Back! I am also restarting induction. I have been pretty sick for about 6 weeks (sinus infec., bronchitis and walking pneumonia) HAPPY NEW YEAR! I had lost 12 lbs before that and was working out every day but after living on crackers and toast while I was sick I am starting all over again. After being majorly depressed yeasterday, my head is back in the game today and I am ready to start fresh.

Good luck Melinda. Do you want to set an induction goal similar to what I did and we can check in to cheer each other on?
What do the colours mean?
Vita oldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 04:52 AM   #117
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: juhanna
Stats: 197/184/122
WOE: atkins induction
Start Date: 6th August 2012
hi guys,
could someone have a look at my meal plan and tell does it look good, or would you change something?

my usual days plan:
B: coffe & cream, 2x bacon, 1 egg omelet with 1tbs cheese and 1tbs cream
L: coffe & cream, 2x frankfurter (= 2g net carbs), boiled egg, broccoli 1tbs butter
D: bacon, 2 egg omelet with 1tbs cheese and 1tbs cream
juhanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:37 AM   #118
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: newlife1217
Stats: 178/155/130
WOE: low carbs, low salt
Start Date: 07/28/2012
Ive been on the low carb for a little over a month. The first week I was plagued by headaches and hunger. Hard boiled eggs helped. Drink water when you eat. If your hungry its better to go over your calories with a non carb than to go a little carb crazy and throw you back to day 1
newlife1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:40 AM   #119
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: newlife1217
Stats: 178/155/130
WOE: low carbs, low salt
Start Date: 07/28/2012
like you also I sometimes have a week or sadly two with a loss or only a pound. I find that if I dont stress my self out by the scale the next week I usually have some sort of weight loss, I get discouraged easily
newlife1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:48 AM   #120
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Laurel
Stats: 188/168/135
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: 7/2012
Quote:
In an effort to cut calories a little I tried going for leaner cuts of meat/etc. I found that when I cut some of the fat out of my diet, I became much hungrier and found that calories actually increased. Keeping my fat calorie % super high (high 60's to high 70's) helps keep me very satisfied and as a result my calorie intake is lower.

There's only so much bacon and cheese and cream you can eat before you start feeling unappetized(i don't think that's a word).
Laurel is offline   Reply With Quote