Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2009, 09:59 AM   #61
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: saramar
Stats: 138/135/118
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restarted Sept 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by katsgoods View Post
I am stating the Low Carb-Atkins diet again, and I started working out-Cardio and weight training. I have noticed I lost 10 lbs. in the 3 weeks that I have been dieting, and I haven't had any Bread, Rice, Potato, pasta, no carbs in this form. I started noticing that I hit a wall and have been feeling like very bloated-I just checked that ****** thing and it calculated that I ate like over 2400 Calories, and 86.7 Carbs today-WOW is this thing very accurate? because it doesn't seem like I did. I had a medium sized salad with Garlic dressing, 1 small green pepper, 3 slices of American cheese, 1-2 cups of dry roasted peanuts, and 1 small chicken breast, and a carb smart ice cream bar. I don't get what I am doing wrong?? ;(( I did this diet in the past and lost 20 in one month, now I lost only 10lbs. and both times I lifted weights. Please Help!!
I think maybe it was the peanuts that put you way over Also American cheese has more carbs than regular cheese, also any of that carb-smart stuff really slows down my weight loss. I'm the same as you, not having as much success as I did in the past. Cograts on the 10 lbs though keep on truckin!
saramar is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2009, 10:05 AM   #62
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: saramar
Stats: 138/135/118
Start Date: restarted Sept 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie smuggla View Post
Hi, I was having the same problem and someone told me about psyllium husk pills at GNC (they go by the name Colon Cleanse), just three capsules a day made a huge difference. By the way, the label lists them as "recommended for low-carb diets"... hth.
Beware though. Some people (like me ) get SUPER constipated from psyllium. I was taking it daily for about 5 days last year and I didn't go the entire time! Finally I had to buy a laxative. Flax seed works good for me though. I'm going to try magnesium after reading about it here.
saramar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:32 AM   #63
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jamistar77
Stats: 150/142/137 or 15% body fat 5'7"
WOE: Body For Life/TKD
Start Date: 09/2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by k_escobar View Post
Exercise has made a big difference during Induction for me this time around. I lost five lbs. this week (wk. one) by following the induction rules and getting cardio in everyday regardless of if I felt energetic. I think for me, the exercise was the key to jumpstart the loss and putting my body to work burning all my old carbs and then hitting the fat. We'll see what happens next week, I might be jinxing myself!
I think your doing great by keeping up the excersize. I am so darn tired after 20 minutes of exsersize I just want to zonk out. I hope the energy starts to come back soon. I have always been an active person. I cant wait to hit it hard again. Good job by the way on your speedy results!
jamistar77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 10:32 AM   #64
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lindsaylou
Stats: 212/206/145
Start Date: October 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topazz View Post
[COLOR=Purple]The Atkins Essentials book lists several more ways to deal with sluggish weight loss. This is a nutshell version

1.Get your body moving. Or switch up from one type of exercise to another.
2. Make sure you are not consuming more carbs than you think. Use a carb tracker, read labels.
3. Cut out higher carb foods such as olives, lemon juice, cream.
Also cut back on the serving sizes of cheese, do not use low carb products such as bar, shakes, candies.
4. Cut back on protein comsumption. Do not eat too much at one sitting.
5. Eat at least 3 meals a day. No more than 6 waking hours without eating.
6. Deal with constipation, if you have it.
7. Be sure to drink at least eight 8 ounce glasses of water each day.
8. Curb artificial sweeteners. They are 1 carb per packet. Just 5 a day is 1/4 of your carb limit for the entire day.
9. Cut out caffiene. Switch to decaf coffee, tea and colas.

The bottom line is that weight loss is a very individual matter and each person will respond differently to consuming only 20 grams of net carbs a day. Because everyone's situation and metabolism is different, the Atkins Nutritional Approach is designed to be individualized to your tastes and needs. If you are not happy with your results, rather than thinking of adandoning the plan, make adjustments until it begins working for you.

If you have to cut back on carbs to launch your weight loss, you can add them back in a week or two, once your body had made the shift and is cruising along in fat-burning mode. So if you are not losing at 20 grams of net carbs a day, cut back to 15 for a few days.
[/COLOR]
thank you, that is a lot of help! most of them I already knew; it just helps to hear them reinforced. how much is TOO MUCH protein?
lindsaylou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 02:57 PM   #65
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: erai105
Stats: 208
WOE: ATKINS!!
Start Date: November 2009
Today's my 4th day and gave in to left over halloween candy...ugh. Just a handful but still...
erai105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 06:39 AM   #66
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: johnny31
Stats: 173/143
WOE: Atkins - Maintenance
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsaylou View Post
how much is TOO MUCH protein?
What is typically used in studies done on the Atkins Diet is 1.2-1.3 g of protein per kg of body weight. For your current weight, that means 110-120 g of protein daily.

If you are hungry, exercise a lot or have a lot of lean body mass, you might need more protein. The highest intake I've seen used is 1.75 g of protein per kg of body weight; it was used by Dr. Phinney in a 1983 study done on lean male subjects.

The recommendation by the Atkins Center was that protein should account for 25-30% of your total calories. But the percentages are not carved in stone.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:37 AM   #67
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: easwann
Stats: was 242lbs am 187lbs
WOE: Peace, meat, water, and eggs!
Start Date: learning everyday
Just posting to keep this thread going. This is day 15 and Ive lost 10 lbs . It is certainly enough to keep me motivated for 2 more weeks. Thats my mantra ...its only two weeks!
I have been up and down a pound for 2 days , but its is generally downward so its ok. Keep posting, I think its very helpful to have real people to go to , not just a book ( or my own crazy ideas! lol) Lizzie
easwann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:15 AM   #68

Gallery: StephStu
Quote:
Originally Posted by todunlop View Post
I seem to have hit a wall to. I've read on here somewhere that if you take your lean body weight (you know the one we're all triing to acheive) and multipli that by .6 that is how much protein your body needs a day. If you exercise add 10. Well when I checked my protein intake on ****** I was quite a bit over the number so I've cut back on protein a little to see if it will make a difference.
Thanks for this info! I was struggling with all the numbers, and since it says you can have all the protein you want in one place, then says you can get too much in another, I was confused.
StephStu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:15 PM   #69
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lele999
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmiller View Post
You need to do your own carb counts... doing that for yourself is IMPORTANT! I could tell you anything!

I can tell you that you're not eating enough vegetables.

The Atkins carb counter is here:

http://www.atkins.com/carb-counter/?...carb%20counter

And the USDA site is here:

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

And there's ****** - Free Weight Loss and Diet Journal

You're not eating enough... both in food and in carbs.
soooo...not eating enough vegetables is really bad??? Oh my I didn't know that.

Last edited by lele999; 03-01-2010 at 12:16 PM..
lele999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:49 AM   #70
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MrMoonstruck
Does anyone take Chromium Picolinate to supplement? I did when I was on the original round of Atkins, when I lost 60+ pounds a few years ago - this time - I feel like it's stalling me.

I dropped 10-15 pounds in about 3 weeks - which I was happy about. Now - I am going in ounces, and it's really annoying. It could be one of two things - I think I am eating less than I was the first few weeks because I am not really hungry. I am also taking the chromium P.

Today I am not taking, and going to up my food intake with my 10pm snack after class, as I was the first two weeks or so... just to see if a few days of that make a difference. Then of course - I will have a cheat to bounce back from because of the Easter holiday weekend.
MrMoonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:51 AM   #71
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MrMoonstruck
Plus, I am probably not eating enough veggies either...
MrMoonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 10:00 AM   #72
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: horseluvr
Stats: First time,266/210/170/ Now, 262/257/170
WOE: Atkins phase 1
Start Date: may 3/2010/restart,sept06/2013
Thanks for this thread, so much information as to why I might possibly be stalling out....gives me hope.
horseluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:51 AM   #73
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: can't weight
Stats: 236.6/172.2/135-150
WOE: Atkins NANY -extended induction
Start Date: 29/04/10
I haven't lost anything since the middle of the 2nd week of induction. I am now finishing up week four. As you hear over and over measure!! I measured after the 2nd week and have lost 17.5 inches in 12 days. 6 of those were on my waist and 8 were on my thigh (I only measured one side of my body- so it would be even more inches if I included both thighs). I have been exercising moderately every other day or so. I do the 30 day Shred video (Jillian from the biggest loser). God that is tough- and it's only 20 minutes. I also go to the gym twice a week and do spinning, aquafit and Zumba.

Just one thing to note- The New Atkins book allows caffeine in moderate quantities and even states that new studies show it can stimulate the metabolism. However use at your own risk- caffeine affects everyone differently.
can't weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 09:54 PM   #74
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tskb
Stats: 219.6/160
WOE: Atkins 7/8/13
Well I am finishing up week one induction and lost 3lbs. I got the ketosis stixs and I am only showing a trace. My question is it easy to slip in and out of ketosis? I feel confident I have stuck to the plan so I question if maybe to much cheese could change the ketosis stage you are in. I need to read and read carefully to be more accurate on food choices and portions.
tskb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:09 PM   #75
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: horseluvr
Stats: First time,266/210/170/ Now, 262/257/170
WOE: Atkins phase 1
Start Date: may 3/2010/restart,sept06/2013

I've found I've had to cut down on cheeses and crystal light drinks...they were stalling me.
horseluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 05:29 AM   #76
Senior LCF Member

I've been on induction for 4 weeks and haven't fallen out of induction. But it is important to measure your cheese. It adds up quickly! I'm an extremely slow loser so I can't really comment on stalls. I haven't lost anything since day ten (about 20 days ago) so I find it hard to tell if something stalls me. I gave up all aspartame and citric acid for a week- but still didn't loose anything. Gave up nuts for a week (after my first 2 weeks). Nothing. There isn't much else to give up. I don't know if I could give up the cream/sour cream I eat taco salads twice or 3 times a week, and have cream in my coffee every day. Oh I guess I could give up coffee and cream and see what happens.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:09 PM   #77
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: boccpio
Stats: 216/208/150
Start Date: Sept. 6, 2010
I am now on my day 15. I am down eight pounds, though I haven't really lost any weight since about day 7. I've been up and down a couple of pounds on the days since, and my measurements haven't changed all that much, though I did lose about an inch off my waist and hips. I'm having what feels like heart palpatations today, and I've had those a couple of times over the last week or so, so I'm not really sure what's causing that, but it's certainly abnormal and frankly a bit worrisome. I'm going to stick with this though and cut out caffeine, cut down on cheese and Atkins products and see if that helps lull me out of this stall. It's a bit frustrating, but I'll hang in there.
boccpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 03:48 PM   #78
Senior LCF Member

I would totally give up the atkins products. They've been known to stall many many many people. They are definitely a maintenance treat or a very once in a while treat. Not induction friendly at all! Most people lose more the first week and only a couple lbs the second. 8lbs in 15 days is awesome. Not sure what's causing the heart palpitations- it could be the sugar alcohols in the atkins products... sugar alcohols cause many different undesirable responses in different people- though some have no problems at all. Hang in there!
Old 12-05-2010, 02:24 PM   #79
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jonika
Stats: 128/118
WOE: Candida diet, Alkaline diet, Atkins
Start Date: 8/13/2013
I stay away from sugar alcohols. They give me horrible gas, plus I gain weight on them. It's weird to gain on them, but I really do.
Jonika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 04:20 PM   #80
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DXcoupe20
Stats: 320/250/199, 5'10ft
WOE: keto, induction
I'm stuck at the 295 mark. This is day 10 on induction for me. I either go up a pound or down.I've been eating mostly eggs, cheeses, and meats. Some veggies not much. Tomorrow I'm cutting all the cheese and ditching the pork rinds(only snack I've allowed myself). I think there's too much sodium in them so they're making hold water. I'd like to get to 280s by Christmas.

Last edited by DXcoupe20; 12-06-2010 at 04:24 PM..
DXcoupe20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 05:03 PM   #81
Senior LCF Member

Salt does make you retain water. Cut out the pork rinds first and drink loads of water. Drinking lots of water helps your body to dump retained water. Then just reduce your cheese to 4 oz a day and see how you go. No need to cut out the cheese if that's not what is stalling you. You don't want to change things up too much until you've really stalled- (6 weeks no lbs or inches lost). I stopped losing weight on day 10 of induction. I didn't start again until day 30- but now I've lost almost 60lbs. So stick with, and be patient.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:11 AM   #82
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sjones07grad
Stats: 146.2/139.9/115
Start Date: January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryrozes View Post
I am on second day induction and having the worst headaches. Is this normal?
I actually had to take Aleve for the first 4 days b/c of the headache and I know it was from a lack of sugar/carbs/caffeine as I was previously a soda and candy junkie...LOL This is normal for most ppl so don't be discouraged. The craving and headaches will go away after about the 5th day, I'd guess. Then you won't really even want those things anymore. Others told me this and I didn't believe them, but it is true. Though, experience tells me, you may not believe me either at the moment....LOL. Good luck with your program and just don't cheat. It will get better and your results will be encouraging.

My stats:
day 17 of Induction
week one: lost 5+ lbs.
week two: no loss, but still sticking with it
week three: not there yet, we will see
total WLG: 30 lbs, desired weight: 115
sjones07grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:24 AM   #83
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sandyfanny
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: August, 2010
Stalling...

I've been in a stall for three weeks, and I know why: too much cheese daily, too many artificial sweeteners, diet sodas, not enough water, too much heavy cream, not enough veggies, late-night snacking. I could go on. But I won't. I'll just commit this week to getting myself back on Induction.

The ketostix are registering ketones every day, but I'm not losing. I'm also going to look at too much protein...I tend to just plain eat too much.
sandyfanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:49 PM   #84
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: hope73
Stats: 197/194/150?140
WOE: adkins,protein power
Start Date: Jan 23rd 2011
hi new here

I think I am a little confused but have been a little since I start this on Sunday... What is the difference in NET carbs and carbs?? I have been just looking at the back of what I am going to eat and counting the total carbs.
I have seen a lot of things with Net carb on the front of the box.... I guess I need a lesson in this

Donna
started on 1/23/11
197.6/193.6/150
hope73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 03:27 PM   #85
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Michiko
Stats: Size 24-26/Size 18/Size 8-10
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: November 2014
This is straight from the new Atkins book - The New Atkins for a New You. I hope it helps explain things a little better. Plus, I've been reading that the sugar alcohols stall some people, and I don't think they're recommended for induction.

"WHAT ARE NET CARBS?
The only carbs that matter when you do Atkins are Net Carbs, aka digestible carbs or impact carbs. Fortunately, you donít have to be a food scientist or math whiz to figure out how to calculate them. Simply subtract the number of grams of dietary fiber in whole foods from the total number of carbohydrate grams. How come? The answer is that although itís considered a carbohydrate, fiber doesnít impact your blood sugar level. So unlike other carbs, it doesnít act as a metabolic bully. Letís do the math. A half cup of steamed green beans contains 4.9 grams of carbs, of which 2.0 grams are fiber, so subtract 2.0 from 4.9 and you get 2.9 grams of Net Carbs. Hereís an even more dramatic example: a cup of Romaine lettuce contains 1.4 grams of carbs, but more than half the carbs (1.0 gram) are fiber, for a Net Carb count of 0.4 grams. No wonder you can eat lots and lots of salad greens on Atkins!

When it comes to low-carb foods, you subtract grams of sugar alcohols (including glycerin), as well as of fiber, from total grams of carbs to get the Net Carb count.

WHAT ARE SUGAR ALCOHOLS?
Many low-carb products are sweetened with such ingredients as glycerin, mannitol, sorbitol, xylitol, erythritol, isomalt, lactitol, and maltitol. These forms of sugar, called sugar alcohols (or polyols), provide a sweetness and mouthfeel similar to that of sugar without all the calories and unwanted metabolic effects. Because sugar alcohols are not fully absorbed by the gut, they provide roughly half the calories that sugar does, although each one varies slightly. The incomplete and slower absorption results in a minimal impact on blood sugar and insulin response. This means that sugar alcohols donít significantly interfere with fat burning, making them acceptable on Atkins. Other benefits may include promotion of colon health and prevention of cavities. However, a portion of sugar alcohols is not absorbed, which can produce a laxative effect and cause some gastrointestinal problems when they are consumed in excess. Individual tolerances vary, so it is best to test the waters slowly. Most people find that they can handle 20 to 30 grams a day without undesirable effects."
Michiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 06:29 AM   #86
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jasmine541
Stats: 187
WOE: optifast
Start Date: 11/20/13
Thank you everyone! Reading your posts helps me! I weighed yesterday and gained .4 lbs. I had turkey sausage three meals (salty), 1/2 Atkins bar a few times and Cheese a few times. I'm cutting them this week to see what happens.
Jasmine541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:19 AM   #87
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Annaj
Stats: 186/173/135
Start Date: Restart January 2011
There is a lot of great advice on this thread. I restarted Atkins in January, and lost for the first few weeks, and then stalled for 2 months. I had the long awaited whoosh this week, and lost a few more pounds - 12 all together. For me, this is great! It is important to follow the rules exactly, with no cheats, and don't give up.

For some reason, the second time around on low carb, it seems to be more difficult to shed pounds. That's OK with me; as long as today is the fattest day of the rest of my life, I'm headed in the right direction. When it goes off slowly, it is less likely to creep up again.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:00 PM   #88
Junior LCF Member

Stats: 175/165.2/125
Start Date: 5-30-2011
I'm struggling to stick with induction. I have just started week three and I lost 8 pounds quickly, but have put three back on. I'm not sure I can manage low carb for the rest of my life. Does anyone have any advice? Desperate for some help here! I don't want to quit and get bigger than I was to start with.
CrankyChubbyChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:10 AM   #89
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Blurp
Stats: SW268 CW224 GW225
WOE: Atkins induction
Start Date: May 19th 2011 Goal reached 73 days
what has worked for me...

FROM THE ATKINS WEBSITE:

HOW TO DO INDUCTION RIGHT

Many people see remarkably fast weight loss on Induction. Others find it slow going. Whatever your pace, you’ll need to follow the rules precisely to achieve success. This applies equally to those of you who are working on improving blood sugar and insulin levels or lipids. Otherwise, you could become frustrated before you’ve had a chance to see what Atkins can really do for you. Abide by the following guidelines and you’ll soon be well on the way to successful results:

1. Eat either three regular-size meals a day or four or five smaller meals. Don’t skip meals or go more than six waking hours without eating.

2. At each meal—including breakfast—eat at least 4 to 6 ounces of protein foods, including poultry, beef, lamb, pork, veal, fish and shellfish, eggs, cheese and a variety of vegetable proteins. Up to 8 ounces is fine if you’re a tall guy. There’s no need to trim the fat from meat or the skin from poultry, but do so if you prefer. Just add a splash of olive oil or a pat of butter to your vegetables to replace the fat.

3. Enjoy butter, olive oil, high-oleic safflower oil, canola oil, and seed and nut oils and mayonnaise (made from olive, canola, or high-oleic safflower oils). Aim for 1 tablespoon of oil on a salad or other vegetables, or a pat of butter. Cook foods in just enough oil to ensure that they don’t burn. Or spritz the pan with a mist of olive oil.

4. Eat no more than 20 grams a day of Net Carbs, 12 to 15 grams of them as foundation vegetables. This means you can eat approximately six loosely packed cups of salad and two cups of cooked vegetables per day. Remember, carb counts of various vegetables vary, so be sure to check them.

5. Eat only the foods on the Acceptable Foods List for Phase 1.

6. In a typical day, you can have up to 4 ounces of most cheese (but not cottage cheese or ricotta), 10 black or 20 green olives, half a Haas avocado (the kind with a blackish pebbly skin), an ounce of sour cream or 2–3 tablespoons of cream, and up to 3 tablespoons of lemon or lime juice. The carbs in these foods must be counted in your 20 grams of Net Carbs.

7. Acceptable sweeteners include sucralose (Splenda), saccharine (Sweet’N Low), stevia (SweetLeaf or Truvia) or xylitol. Have no more than three packets a day, and count each one as 1 gram of carbs. This is because, while these sweeteners contain no carbs, they are packaged with fillers that do contain a little carbohydrate to keep them from clumping.

8. To satisfy your sweet tooth, you can have sugar-free gelatin desserts and up to two Atkins shakes or bars coded for Induction.

9. Each day, drink at least eight 8-ounce portions of approved beverages: water, club soda, herb teas, or moderation—caffeinated or decaffeinated coffee and tea. This will prevent dehydration and electrolyte imbalances. In this count, you may include two cups of broth (not low sodium), one in the morning and one in the afternoon.

10. Take a daily iron-free multivitamin/multimineral combo and an omega-3 fatty-acid supplement.

11. Learn to distinguish hunger from habit and adjust the quantity you eat to suit your appetite as it decreases. When you’re hungry, eat until you feel satisfied but not stuffed. If you’re not sure that you’re full, wait ten minutes, have a glass of water, and eat more only if you’re still unsatisfied. If you’re not hungry at mealtime, eat a small low-carb snack.

12. Don’t starve yourself, and don’t skimp on fats.

13. Don’t assume that any food is low in carbs. Read the labels on packaged whole foods to discover unacceptable ingredients; and check their carb counts (subtract grams of fiber from total grams). Also use a carbohydrate gram counter.

14. When dining out, be on guard for hidden carbs. Gravy is usually made with flour or cornstarch, both no-nos. Sugar is often found in salad dressing and may even appear in coleslaw and other deli salads. Avoid any deep-fried or breaded food.

Meal Planning

Knowing ahead of time what you’ll be eating will help you stick to the program. Our easy Two-Week Meal Plan is packed with delicious recipes that can help you set up your first two weeks on Induction. Or, if you prefer, you can plan meal-by-meal or day-by-day.

Last edited by Blurp; 06-18-2011 at 10:24 AM..
Blurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 06:09 PM   #90
Junior LCF Member

Stats: 175/165.2/125
Start Date: 5-30-2011
Thanks.
CrankyChubbyChick is offline   Reply With Quote