Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2006, 08:37 PM   #1

Gallery: Topazz
Induction Week 2, Still not losing??

[COLOR=Purple]Induction Week Two
Taken from "Atkins Essentials" book
~~~~~~~~~

If the fat is not coming off, the scale is not your friend, and your clothes are still too snug.... don't despair! First, double check your measurements. Some people lose inches without losing pounds. (This can happen in any phase of Atkins). If that's not the case, it just means you're amoung the small percentage of people whose bodies are somewhat resistant to shedding pounds, a condition commonly referred to as metabolic resistance. Like life, it's not fair, but we can help you overcome most of the reasons for this annoying tendancy.

Resistance to weight loss can occure for a number of reasons. Some can be influenced by changes in behavior or lifestyle. For example, if you are eating too much, you can learn to moderate your portions. If you are sedentary, you can find an exercise regimen that you enjoy and that suits your lifestyle. Individuals with very high insulin levels are likely to be slow starters meaning that they may lose very little weight (or none) until they have controlled carbs for a longer period of time than people with more normal insulin levels.

You may lose slowly in the week before your menstrual period. Cravings may also be aggravated during this time. Just be patient. Weight loss is likely to speed up once you have finished your menses.

Solving other problems, such as an underlying thyroid or use of medications that either make you gain weight or slow weight loss are more complex, but in concert with your doctor, you can seek solutions.

Then there are things that you simply cannot do anything about : Genetics and age are obviously beyond your control. So is hormonal status - menopause and perimenopause typically slow a woman's metabolism- or a sluggish thyroid. In such cases, you need to readjust your expectations. You may never get down to the weight you were as a younger person, OR it may take you longer than you originally hoped.

Another common reason for your body to resist weight loss is a history of going on and off diets, known as yo-yo dieting. When you get into a pattern of repeatedly losing and gaining weight, your body becomes adept at protecting it's fat stores by slowing down your metabolism.

~~~~~~
additionally the book discusses medications can interfere with weight loss. Common culprits are :
Antidepressants
Estrogen
drugs for high blood pressure
Remember: Check with your doctor before changing or stopping any medications. Talk to your doctor about alternatives.

~~~~~
So, if you are facing less than steady weight loss at this point, it just means that your body is a bit slower to release it's fat stores and your weight loss will likely be more gradual. If you are a slow loser, you may also experience frustrating stalls, when the pounds simply refuse to budge at all.

Be patient! Don't let it get you down, and by all means, don't give up!
(There are additional adjustments discussed in the next section of the book.)[/COLOR]
Topazz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2006, 01:05 PM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Clara
Hello newbie the board. Ive read the stalling posts etc, but this is day 8 of induction, my ketosis are very very dark pink and have been for 3 days, but the weight as yet is not coming off. I have yo yo'd this past year, am totally addicted to sugar but I am on this plan the protein seems to stabilise my blood sugar and I dont get cravings.

Basically, I know its still early days but im feeling very full and abit bloated. Ive done this before, a couple of years ago, so know the drill about the food and the fat to kick off ketosis. Ive been in ketosis from day 2, and the sticks have got darker. Ive made sure I drink plenty of water. Im not constipated, but its a couple of days so perhaps a herbal laxative tea would help. Motivation is running low!!!!!!!!!! Im hanging in there but it would help if I could see a couple of Lbs lost!

Any advice would be much appreciate. Oh btw I am power walking a total of 5 miles a day, probably 45-50 mins in total. (Journey to work) - surely I am active enough.

My stats are currently

5"9
148 Lb
Clara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 01:10 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MaWhit
WOE: healthy gluten-free sugar-free lower carb
Start Date: April 2006
At that weight and height, depedning on your frame size, it could be that your body does not have enough fat to burn off, even in ketosis.
MaWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 11:49 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaWhit
At that weight and height, depedning on your frame size, it could be that your body does not have enough fat to burn off, even in ketosis.
my body shape is apple. my frame size is big boned, broad - My waist is thick set and 32 inches, they say if your waist is over 30 - for women you at risk of heart diesease and diebetes

So its possible to be in ketosis and not burn any fat? -

I really confused, there is excess fat on my body......

Sorry im new to the board, just jumped right in here and moaned but im at the stage where if i dont see any results i will give up and I know that isnt a good idea.
Clara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 01:26 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MaWhit
WOE: healthy gluten-free sugar-free lower carb
Start Date: April 2006
Quote:
My waist is thick set and 32 inches, they say if your waist is over 30 - for women you at risk of heart diesease and diebetes
Everything I have read says 35 inches, not 30.
MaWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 02:13 PM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: tiggerr
Stats: 176.2/???/142
WOE: Eating right
Start Date: May,2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clara
I really confused, there is excess fat on my body....

Do Cardio, weight training ( I just read that if you weight train for an hour it speeds belly fat loss)

It might just be a matter of gaining lean muscle because you *are* at a healthy BMI weight. Yours is 22.5.

Quote:
* Normal weight = 18.5-24.9
* Overweight = 25-29.9
* Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater

As for the waist thing:
Quote:
An expert panel convened by the National Institutes of Health concluded that a waist larger than 40 inches for men and 35 inches for women increases the chances of developing heart disease, cancer, or other chronic diseases
tiggerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 04:08 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: BrendaH
Candida or yeast overload... Not losing...

I have been on induction for 3 weeks and have not noticed any weight dropping. My clothes are not as tight but I really thought I would have lost at lease 5 or so pounds... I am 5ft 4in and weight 148lb... I dont drink alot of water but I am trying. I do drink a lot of green tea... I am exercising although not as much as I usually do. I've only gotten in a couple days of weight lifting and a little cardio, but not much to speak of...
I do believe I have what the Adkins book talks about yeat overload... I am going to a nutritionalist next week....
Any suggestions? There is no way I can cut out as much as your suppose to with the yeast overload so I hope this nutritionalist can help me....
I'm suppose to do a yeast free, sugar free, vinager free... Very impossible for me for the vinager free... I've been doing very well with the yeast free and sugar free!
BrendaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 08:59 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lovebug
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Restart October 2008
Can being on induction phase for a long time be dangerous?
lovebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 02:26 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: summer32
Stats: Heaviest 210.Re Started Atkins at 180/160/140
Start Date: Re started: March 1 2007
Lovebug,

Dr Atkins said that induction can be followed safely for up to 6 months but I guess this would depend on how much weight you have to lose
summer32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 08:41 AM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: 135by3/09/07
Stats: 285.2/310/135
WOE: skillmans/atkins later
Start Date: 04/02/10
i would just like to get through the first 2 week. that would make me so proud of myself. I know I will do it this time after about 50 tries. the most cheat free days I have ever had is 7 last week 5. and when I cheat I really cheat. I cant be fat anymore I am 29 and very unhappy with my life in general. My excess weight has got to go. so I am on day 2 for the (too many to count time) and I dont plan to ever do day 2 again. somebody pray for me please. cant do another year FAT
135by3/09/07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 08:47 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SaraS
Stats: 206/163/140
Start Date: Restart: 05-09-06
You can do it!!!
SaraS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 10:20 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lovebug
Start Date: Restart October 2008
Wow, 6 months, huh? What happens after 6 mos?
lovebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 03:12 AM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: simma52
Stats: 60.5kg/53kg -- 133/125p
I started Atkins 2 years ago -- was in Ketosis quite quick and lost about 15kg over the period of time from Induction to maitence. Goal weight 52 -- 53 kg which I think is about 125p ?
Anyway have slipped along the last couple of months and am now on 133 p -- 61 kg. Starting to feel flabby again so here goes induction !!
Have been back on for about 2 weeks now, not obsessing though and not really sure if Im under 20 c/ day -- just know what I should be eating.
Not dropping any weight though just sitting on 61 kg.

Im like you, would like to drop some so that I know things sre moving for me.
I can still fit into my jeans etc, but the have been feeling very tight lateley.

might start using ketosticks again just to see if Im in ketosis --
When I was first on atkins, I satyed on induction for around 10 weeksat first. If I stalled -- I went back on induction for a week or two. It usually started me up again, --- but I think that my carbs levels and what my body will tolerate has really cahnged due to this.
just kep going -- it gets easier, and you really can do it
simma52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 05:24 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gweebles
Stats: 26w/24w/8
WOE: JUDDD convert 2720/544
Start Date: JUDDD 3/6/12
Hi, just a little advice from an oldie, newbie here. Watch stallers, which range from artificial sweeteners, sodas, so called sugar free candies and gums, etc. I find olive oil to help greatly in weight loss. Mix some olive oil with spices, my favorite is Ms. Dash, and use it is a dip for meat, veggies, etc. Cut down on sodium, it will make you look stalled when your body is just holding water. If that doesn't work, shake up your body with a few days of low cal then high cal. Hope this helps.
Gweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 06:09 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cathlena
Stats: 10/06: 195 CW: 185 GW: 135
WOE: Low Carb, No Grain, No Dairy (some cheese ok)
Start Date: 1/1/07
I like the tip about mixing olive oil and seasonings for dipping meat...I will have to try that out.

I am on day 5 of week 2 induction! This is the first time I have stuck it out this long and I have not slipped out of Ketosis yet. I seem to stay in the moderate to dark range. The first week I lost 5 pounds, hope to lose the same this week, but I know PMS is coming around so I might not be as lucky!!

losing weight is so hard, one of the hardest things to do I think.

Hang in there everyone!!!

1-1-07: 188
188*[COLOR="Magenta"]185[/COLOR]
Cathlena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 07:28 PM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: starbaby
Stats: as of 10/05/05=242/235/100
WOE: atkins
Start Date: Been blowing it for 2yrs.Serious now on 10/05/05
I am restarting again and again and again! This time, doggone it, I'm going to make it!
I was up to 260 (5'2") got on Atkins, got down to 214#, then blew it, got up to 234#,
blew it somemore, got up to 242# as of a week ago last Monday. I got on induction and so far in 9 days, have lost 9#. With no exercise other than to laboriously get myself ready for work, walk down 3 flights of stairs (this is a new job, as I was pretty much sedimentary before) mow the our 5acre lawn on riding mower, and then crash.
Has anyone tried the Atkins products in induction? If so, what's good for meals?
Thanks for "listening".
Betty
Old 06-02-2006, 08:38 AM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SassyGirl82
Stats: 240.6/237/130
WOE: Low Carb, With Fruit and Whole Grains
Start Date: 9/20/2011
Well ladies I am just getting started again. I have been on every diet it seems like this year and have failed on every one of them. The low carb lifestyle is the only one that actually makes the scale move!

I was wondering , What is PCOS?
SassyGirl82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 09:46 AM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Robin12265
Quote:
Originally Posted by SassyGirl82
I was wondering , What is PCOS?
What is polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)?
Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is a health problem that can affect a woman's hormone levels, periods, and ovulation. This can affect fertility and pregnancy. It can also cause male-type body changes.

If you have PCOS, your hormone (endocrine) system is out of balance. This can lead to serious health problems, such as diabetes and heart disease.

If you have PCOS, you may have problems with:

Acne.
Weight gain and have trouble losing weight.
Male pattern baldness or thinning hair on the scalp.
Hair growth on the face, back, or chest.
High blood sugar (hyperglycemia).
Robin12265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 06:54 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WannaCaboBody
Stats: 198.8/192.8/r1 goal 160/125
WOE: hHCG
Start Date: 7/25/12
I'm just coming back and having problems. I did this WOE 4 years ago and lost 30 pounds - since then I quit smoking and gained everything back.

Have been on Atkins Induction for 1 week now. Lost 3 pounds in 3 days then nothing. I'm working out at lunch time every day, I feel great! However, I'm retaining water and am somewhat constipated. I actually gained back on of my pounds when I weighed in this morning. This is very frustrating and it's hard for me to stay motivated. My carbs are right on but my calories are 1500-1600 which I suspect is too high.
WannaCaboBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 01:55 PM   #20
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: BrendaH
I am dissapointed that no ones replied about candida overload... Does that mean no one has heard of it????
BrendaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 05:18 PM   #21
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: misty1028
Stats: high 189 to 115 restart 169/139/120
WOE: low carb-Atkins/South Beach
Start Date: 1st-9-13-04 restart 1-1-11
I quit smoking to and started to regain some of my weight so now I;m back on induction and find it alot harder this time around. But I keep going because I worked to hard to lose the first time.You can do it to Good luck.
misty1028 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 05:46 AM   #22
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Jackieblu
Stats: 283/211/150
WOE: Aitkins
Start Date: March 2003
Induction Week Two

Topazz: Thanks for the info. It's helpful to reread the Aitkins info as a reminder.

I've been on induction for just over 3 weeks. I'm doing fairly well. Dropped 10 lbs as of yesterday.

For the last two days I've been battling leg cramps. I've starting taking postassium as of yesterday because that seems to keep the cramps away.

How is everyone else doing? I hope it's been good for all.

Have a great day and hang in there!
Jackieblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 03:31 PM   #23
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jade06
I have been on induction exactly 2 weeks. I have followed it very ridgedly. I have not lost a pound! I am so upset over this. I probably don't drink enough water and i work out 3 x's a week for 1 hour (walking) What can I do differently? Should I be taking L-carnitane, and q10? I am in ketosis still. If you can help that would be great. jadedowe@hotmail.com thank you.
jade06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 12:27 PM   #24
Berta48

Gallery: Berta48
Stats: Low Carb/temp goal239.8 10lbs @ time)
WOE: OWL Low Carb Style 10 lbs at a time!
Start Date: April 17th, 2014(247.8 LC Plan Atkins
Hi everyone
Will someone tell me how long before you go into Ketosis? I started Atkins Sat. the 23rd, but then farther into the book I saw where we were not to have coffee unless it was decaf.So I quit drinking it and bought decaf. I usually drink two cups maybe three a day.Also I have been eating on plan veggies( cauli, cabbage, green beans, brocc.spinach) instead of the salad will that make a difference?Because as of today Wed. 27th I have not went into Ketosis it is still beige!Is there a limit to the veggies you can have? I have been having about a cup with lunch and dinner.
I really hope this works I have tried about every other one out there to no avail!This one seems like it will be easier to stay with.
I'll appreciate any help anyone will offer me.

Are we allowed to use low carb baking mix other than the Atkins one? Because of my thyroid I can't use soy product?
Thanks Roberta

Last edited by Berta48; 09-27-2006 at 12:29 PM..
Berta48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 05:50 PM   #25
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: darkandlovely478
You can do it. Trust me. I didn't think I could, but I'm doing it. Do you know how many times I've started and messed up? Sitting around feeling sorry for yourself isn't going to make you lose weight. Take Control. Do it....Do it for yourself!!!
darkandlovely478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 11:19 PM   #26
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: piperanne69
Stats: 242/235/148
WOE: low carbing it
Start Date: 08/15/08
Your stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clara View Post
Hello newbie the board. Ive read the stalling posts etc, but this is day 8 of induction, my ketosis are very very dark pink and have been for 3 days, but the weight as yet is not coming off. I have yo yo'd this past year, am totally addicted to sugar but I am on this plan the protein seems to stabilise my blood sugar and I dont get cravings.

Basically, I know its still early days but im feeling very full and abit bloated. Ive done this before, a couple of years ago, so know the drill about the food and the fat to kick off ketosis. Ive been in ketosis from day 2, and the sticks have got darker. Ive made sure I drink plenty of water. Im not constipated, but its a couple of days so perhaps a herbal laxative tea would help. Motivation is running low!!!!!!!!!! Im hanging in there but it would help if I could see a couple of Lbs lost!

Any advice would be much appreciate. Oh btw I am power walking a total of 5 miles a day, probably 45-50 mins in total. (Journey to work) - surely I am active enough.

My stats are currently

5"9
148 Lb
9 years ago I was at 142 and I'm 5'6 and I was very thin believe it or not. I was well within my normal weight limit and not over my BMI. Your height with your weight is good. You shouldn't even have to lose weight. Maybe what you should do is tone up with weights and bands.
piperanne69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 08:50 AM   #27
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: BitterGeek
Stats: 223/216/190
WOE: Atkins - Induction
Start Date: 10/16/2006
I had really good success while under Induction two years ago. I fell off the wagon and started again two weeks ago. Unlike two years ago, the weight is not coming off. What may be the root cause why I'm not losing this time around?
BitterGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 09:04 AM   #28
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sueseely
First time poster

I am first time poster, so confused
sueseely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 12:12 PM   #29
pru
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pru
Stats: 267/255/167 272/248/167
WOE: Atkins the only diet I can stay on
Start Date: 1/23/06 Restart date 9/23/06?
Jade 06, I'm sorry your having a hard time , are you following the induction rules to the letter? Some people never get the keto stix to turn purple but still lose. maybe you should post what you have been eating so we can see if it is something you need to change, I know I stalled and was really getting crazy over it. I cut my morning shake out and bam the next morning I was down a lb. not much but sure is nice to see the scale move. Opps! I have to go pick up my daughter from school. I'll be back. love Pru
pru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 10:31 PM   #30
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: sjmiller
Stats: 182/125/125
Start Date: 12/29/03
>>Unlike two years ago, the weight is not coming off. What may be the root cause why I'm not losing this time around?>>

It's generally "harder" the second time around.

This may apply:

http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/goldenshot.html

What exactly are you eating?

Are you getting 12-15 net carbs from vegetables?

Are you getting a minimum of 64 ounces of water?
sjmiller is offline   Reply With Quote