Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2008, 06:06 PM   #91
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: laceymichelle
Stats: 150/127/125
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 12
oh yeah and for snacks what about 10 olives. Or hillshire farms cheddar smokies (5-6) dipped in sour cream
laceymichelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2008, 03:27 AM   #92
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: xoui
Stats: SW 140 lbs/CW 127 lbs/GW 110 lbs
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: 9 June 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by maizenbluebabe View Post
But here is the fabulous part--I am losing "fluffiness" and havent even been exercising enough to even count.

In fact, I have lost enough fluffyfatness that I am down a whole dress size from XL to L, and a whole shirt size, the same. And a denim skort size from 14 to 12. It is weird, I know. but I must be doing something right.

Hi new to the thread and just want to know - does "fluffiness" refer to flab or cellulite or what? Thanks
xoui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 03:32 AM   #93
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laceypr View Post
Ok....so I have been on Atkins for almost 4 weeks now and not lost anything - well maybe 2 lbs the first week....anyway, I feel like each week my menu gets better...more to the induction rules. The first 2 weeks I was taking about 6 nicotine lozenges a day...and I think that may have contributed to no loss. Anyway, i know the rules limit your daily veggie intake (3 cups salad, or 1 cup other veg)....What does this day look like in your opnion, I am not limiting my veggies only counting carbs....Do you this sample day is right on in order to lose???

Breakfast: 4oz cream cheese, 2 eggs, 1 splenda mixed and baked
maybe some black coffee

lunhc: can of green beans or spinach (entire can) with butter and a hamburger plain OR chicken breast (some form of meat) OR if I am eating out a chicken ceaser with no croutons

dinner: some form of meat with more veggies or a small salad

I usually also have 1 diet right zero daily and the rest is water. I basicly know to limit my cheese (3-4oz) and heavy cream (3oz) and splenda (3-4 packs) daily,....Im done measuring veggies though

Thanks......Lacey
Hi,

You have much the same stats as me and maybe I can offer a two cents worth - I have notice that I have to go easy on the cream cheese, as this slows me. The rules as thumb as far as calories is concerned - 10 times my weight seems t work for me - I do no exercise:blush::blush:
Old 07-11-2008, 08:09 AM   #94
Senior LCF Member

so, you have lost 10lbs in the one month you have been on Atkins? that is GREAT! thanks for the advice...as of yesterday...no cream cheese until I hit goal!
Old 07-11-2008, 08:12 AM   #95
Senior LCF Member

I get chicken ceaser with dressing on the side and add olive oil I got this idea from sfs.com
Old 07-11-2008, 08:52 AM   #96
Junior LCF Member

what works for me

Quote:
so, you have lost 10lbs in the one month you have been on Atkins? that is GREAT! thanks for the advice...as of yesterday...no cream cheese until I hit goal!
Yes, and two weeks I have travelled and had to eat buffet lunches every day - speaking of being picky! There are so much hidden carbs in the sauces they use, but I tried to stick to a greek salad with some chicken grilled or baked fish - batter scraped off I always carried a pouch of John West tuna in my bag in case I can't find anything to eat in the evenings. But I must admit, I set my goal high but I will be happy to be at 120 lbs when we go for our Canadian vacation on 14/08. I take saccharin in my green tea and the odd whiskey and soda interpret loosely...):blush:Maybe more than my share of cheese (mozarella and cheddar) but other than that I have no cravings and in fact I am so full in the evenings I have to force myself to eat. Breakfast I only get down as from 10 am (I know, not ideal). But I do drink loads of water and take a multivitamin/tonic with green tea extract supplement daily (contains caffeine but I take no other in the form of coffee). So, being my second time on Atkins, I consider myself lucky. All the best, and I watch you progress, seeing that we are almost stats sistas! Have agreat low carb weekend - I will check in tomorrow as its knowck off time in this part of the world
Old 07-31-2008, 07:07 AM   #97
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: valeriex0x
Stats: 150/144/110
WOE: Whole, Healthy, Natural Foods.
Start Date: July 24, 2008
Hi Everyone, I was reading all the posts because I am on day 8 of atkins indcution and realized on day 6/7 that I was stalled. I'd just like to thank everyone who shared what stalled them, from cream cheese, to sweeteners, etc. Good thing I can accross someone saying that the Atkins Bars stalled them because I had been eating them. So as of today, no cream cheese, and no atkins bars!

Lastly,, I am a coffee fanatic. There is no way I am giving it up. I can do half decaf half reg.

Did anyone find that coffee stalled them.???
valeriex0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 02:27 PM   #98
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Babymama
Stats: 200/150/135
WOE: Atkins-low carb
Start Date: January 16 2010/2++/induction again
Quote:
Originally Posted by valeriex0x View Post
Hi Everyone, I was reading all the posts because I am on day 8 of atkins indcution and realized on day 6/7 that I was stalled. I'd just like to thank everyone who shared what stalled them, from cream cheese, to sweeteners, etc. Good thing I can accross someone saying that the Atkins Bars stalled them because I had been eating them. So as of today, no cream cheese, and no atkins bars!

Lastly,, I am a coffee fanatic. There is no way I am giving it up. I can do half decaf half reg.

Did anyone find that coffee stalled them.???
I drink lots of coffee and still lose it might stall me a bit but not enough to give it up.
Babymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 04:11 PM   #99
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: valeriex0x
Stats: 150/144/110
WOE: Whole, Healthy, Natural Foods.
Start Date: July 24, 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babymama View Post
I drink lots of coffee and still lose it might stall me a bit but not enough to give it up.
Thanks........ via la coffee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
valeriex0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 02:23 AM   #100
Junior LCF Member

Instant Coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by valeriex0x View Post
Thanks........ via la coffee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Same here - the odd coffee does not stall me, however, has anyone had any experience with the instant coffee? I noticed (for the first time today) that our brand contains Maltose and Dextrose (which are said to be sugars?

Thank you for any advice
Old 08-01-2008, 04:06 PM   #101
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Babymama
Stats: 200/150/135
WOE: Atkins-low carb
Start Date: January 16 2010/2++/induction again
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoui View Post
Same here - the odd coffee does not stall me, however, has anyone had any experience with the instant coffee? I noticed (for the first time today) that our brand contains Maltose and Dextrose (which are said to be sugars?

Thank you for any advice
yes, stay away from instant I had one yesterday that took me out of ketosis and it said it was sugar free.
Babymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 02:35 PM   #102
Senior LCF Member

I recently asked someone who had lost on atkins and she said not to withdraw any of the permitted induction foods from my diet. The stall was probably from something else amiss in your diet. Just an fyi
Old 08-05-2008, 03:13 PM   #103
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Allison46
Stats: 322/315.5/190
WOE: Healthy food, high veggie, portion control
Start Date: August 2008
I am in my second week of Induction. Lost 3.5 lbs first week, hope to drop more this week. I had my gall bladder removed a few years ago and wonder if this has a negative effect on digesting the fats in Atkins, as well as in the body going into ketosis. Anyone know what gives?
Allison46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 09:01 PM   #104
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: piperanne69
Stats: 242/235/148
WOE: low carbing it
Start Date: 08/15/08
I was on Atkins starting in oct 06 up until I got pregnant in june of 07. I lost fifty pounds. I was on bp meds and antidepressants........so don't let that discourage anyone. I lost about 10 pds on induction the I stalled. Then bam another 10 came off and I stalled then bam 8 pounds came off. I did excercise 3 times a week for 30 minutes and I lifted weights for 3 sets of 15 working my upper muscles. I made my own routine up. Needless to say, I gained half my weight back while pregnant and need to lose it again because I ate all sugars.........I MEAN ALL SUGARS. It didn't come on easily, but I made sure it did. I'm just shocked I didn't gain more. Now I'm back on it. I'm excited because I look back and see how much happier I was. I also came off my bp meds when I dropped that weight. Now I'm back on..........gonna get back down though and keep it up. I won't have those awful cravings that came with pregnancy. Good Luck!
Old 08-16-2008, 09:06 PM   #105
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: piperanne69
Stats: 242/235/148
WOE: low carbing it
Start Date: 08/15/08
gallbladder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allison46 View Post
I am in my second week of Induction. Lost 3.5 lbs first week, hope to drop more this week. I had my gall bladder removed a few years ago and wonder if this has a negative effect on digesting the fats in Atkins, as well as in the body going into ketosis. Anyone know what gives?

I had mine out too. I honestly don't think that will affect it. In fact having the gallbladder out is the most common surgery (surgical student) I'm sure alot of us have had it removed. If it makes you feel better, my first week, I beleive I lost 4 pds. End of the second I had lost another 6.

Don't get discouraged......it's so easy to do, but when you start seeing results you will be so pumped!
piperanne69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 07:37 AM   #106
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bgavin
Stats: 186/177/135
WOE: Atkins Fat Fast
Start Date: 8/12/2008
First post. I'm scratching my head on the lack of ketsosis + weight gain on the Induction diet.

Age 57, 5'5" and 186 pounds. I started the Induction program 12 days ago. I am not cheating and in denial, etc.

Meals are entirely eggs, bacon, jack cheese, chicken, steaks.
Supplement is ReLive NOW
Drinks are lots of water, 64 oz or more daily, no sodas of any kind.
Mostly decaf coffee, occasional caffeinated. Creamer is half-half.

The only deviation is the occasional caffeinated coffee. The book was not clear other than "no caffeine."

Bad Results are:
no ketosis at all, weight dipped 1.5 pounds at Day 5, then went back up.
sugar level is still too high at 126, taken at 1pm daily

Good Results so far:
no hunger pangs.
sugar wild swings under control

My next step is no coffee at all, and trying the Metabolic Resistant diet mentioned in the book.

Question: what is the effect of caffeine, and can it cause this stall?
bgavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 11:56 AM   #107
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Sheba12106
Stats: 135/128/107
Start Date: 7/28/08
I am having the same problem on induction. Its was really weird, in the first five days I lost 13.2 pounds and then the next five days I went up every day. I went down for the next four days and since then I have gone back up. I have been on induction now for 4 weeks and my total weight loss is now at 5.6 pounds. Then again, tomorrow I might gain more! I am not cheating and I drink over 70-80 ounces or water every day. I eat about the same every day also.

For breakfast: 3 scrambled eggs, 1/2 small tomato, 1 sausage patty approx 2 oz.

For lunch: 1 can tuna (packed in water) which I drain and mix with mayo for tuna salad, 1.5 cups salad with vinegar/alive oil as dressing.

For Dinner Approx. 6-7 ounces meat or chicken with either another 1.5 cups of salad or 1cup of brocolli/cauliflower mix. I use unsalted butter with the eggs. I have been using extra virgin olive oil as an ingredient in ceasar salad dressing which I eat at dinner.

I have used an Atkins nutritional bar about three times and one of the shakes, but have stopped that 2 weeks ago. I had bacon for breakfast the first couple of weeks, and stopped that due to thinking that I was retaining water from the salt, although the sausage is probably not a better choice either. I have used sea salt on my meat, especially pork chops and steak, but not much.

I have been having a celery stick with cream cheese on it at night, but never more than 3 ounces total.

I have given up caffeine at the beginning of induction, but I do have a couple of cups of decaf with nothing in it.

I'm a 47 year old female, periomenapause. I started at 276.8 on July 28 and today I weigh 271.2. On August 3, I had gone down to 263.6 and I thought wow, this is going to be great, but here I am almost 3 weeks later and weigh more.

Three years ago I was very active, walking 6 hours a day (postal employee), weighed 180 pounds and several sizes smaller, but hurt my back at work and had a spine fusion. I currently have spondilolesthesis in 2 places in my spine as well as herniated disks with arthritis from neck all the way down to the last vertebre in my spine. I am in constant pain and exercise of any kind is painful and if it don't hurt considerable while I'm doing it, I pay for it later with hardly being able to stand or walk. I do what I can though with frequent breaks. It is imperitive that I take off the weight that I have gained to improve the stress on my back, but I gained so much due to the pain in my back.

I had been taking an anti-depressant as well as a diuretic at the beginning of induction and lost over 13 pounds. I have since seen my doctor and stopped the meds, but have gained 8 pounds back. I am retaining some water now, but do have frequent trips to the bathroom. It seems that the more I learn and have done things to improve what I am doing, the worse the scales reflect. It has occured to me that there may still be some of the meds lingering in my system and that may be hindering my progress at this time. I do take hydrocodone for nerve pain in my back and legs from an injury. I have even cut down on the amount I am taking. I stopped the pain meds altogether for 5 days and still saw no improvement in my weight loss effort, but subsequently I have started taking 2 tablets a day again (was taking 4 before the Atkins diet). I have realized after not having the pain meds during those days that as of last night, I had to take the pain meds because I was in so much pain, I could no longer stand it. For a couple of days it wasn't too bad, but with each day the pain increased until it was no longer tolerable, so I know that I can't stop the meds altogether.

Can anyone help me to understand what my problem may be? I didn't have any issues with the blood work my doctor did during my last physical of 2 months ago.
Sheba12106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 05:58 AM   #108
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LynnScarlet
Stats: 173/156/133
Hi Sheba

All I can think is that your diet sounds pretty low in fat. Try some fatty ground beef or chicken thighs for a few days and see what happens. Do you use butter also?
LynnScarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 07:14 AM   #109
Junior LCF Member

Hi LynnScarlet,

Thanks so much for your reply!

Yes I use butter everyday in scrambled eggs. I have been having chicken wings twice a week for the past 2 weeks. I've been making my own sauce and the only thing in it is butter, Franks's Red Hot Sauce and garlic. I know the wings have a lot of fat and especially accompanied with the sauce. I have used steak, ground meat and every couple of days I have made deviled eggs. Yesterday I have started keeping a food journal, where I am logging everything I eat with carb count (was already doing that), but also with the calory count. Yesterday my calorie count was 2,121 and carbs were 14. I normally would have possibly 16-17 carbs, but I ate a little less salad food and ate more deviled eggs. Actually this morning I lost .4 pounds since yesterday. I have been afraid that I might be eating too much protein at one time, so yesterday I cut back and had 2 eggs and 1 sausage patty in the morning. I also measured and cut back on my steak, it was 5 ounces.

I thought I have been eating enough fat with using butter and mayonnaise, but maybe I need to replace a little of the protein with more fat or just cut down on the protein portion sizes. I eat til I am satisfied but not feeling full. I am determined to figure this out for myself and I appreciate any and all advice given. The posts on here really help and I've learning alot since I've started to read them.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:16 AM   #110
Junior LCF Member

I stopped taking my diuretic, thinking the diet was sufficient for this. It is not. I put on 4.5 pounds of water in 4 days. Started taking the diuretic again, and shed 6.0 pounds in 4 days.

I was stalled at 183 pounds, down to 181.5 today. I've been doing the metabolic-resistant thing (cream chese + macadamia nuts) for two days. Perhaps this explains the break-through below my stall point.

No ketosis yet, and blood sugar is still much too high. Average is 126 during the middle of the day, and morning average of 147. I am hoping the sugar will drop when the weight goes down.

I think the next blood panel will be revealing: the triglycerides should be way down.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:25 AM   #111
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba12106 View Post
Can anyone help me to understand what my problem may be?
The book says 58% of protein is converted to glucogenic amino acids. Only 10% for fats.

If you are eating much protein in relation to fat, you could be metabolic-resistant, as I am. I didn't see much fat in your menu above. Cut back the eggs, drop the tomato, add cheese.

Our local WinCo foods sells Mozarella, Jack, Cream, and other no-carb cheeses in big blocks for good prices. It seems decadent as hell, cutting off a 2 oz. slab of cream cheese, but I pretend it is a delicacy. Like peanut butter, it takes a while to consume, so you nibble at it. Very satisfying.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:45 PM   #112
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for the input bgavin. I was eating cheese up until a few days ago and I thought that maybe I should cut it out, but that didn't help. Actually today, I did exactly what you have suggested.

I had:
Breakfast: 2 scrambled eggs (using butter), 1 (one) 1.5 oz sausage patty. I cut out the extra egg and the tomato and feel just as satisfied without it.

Snack: 1 (one) seven inch celery stalk with 1 oz cream cheese.

Lunch: 1 and a half cups iceburg lettuce with 3/4 cup tuna salad. My tuna salad has 1/4 cup of hellman's mayonnaise and one can of tuna (drained)

Snack: 1 half side of a deviled egg (I use only mayonnaise, mustard and yolk for the filling.

Haven't had dinner yet.

I have measured everything out and I know as closely as you can calculate exactly how many calories and carbs I am eating.....just anything to try and work this thing out for myself.

I stopped taking my diuretic and I'm sure that has something to do with water retention, but I assumed that in a few days everything would even itself out with that especially with consuming far less salt than I used to. I could not get into ketosis while taking the diuretic. I have been in ketosis continually since I stopped, but no weight loss.

I have cut down my intake considerably since starting the Atkins diet and it seems to me that I should be losing something just given that.

I haven't bought the CoEnzyme, Q-10 and all that, but maybe I will need to do that also.

If I don't see some results in the next couple of days, I will try the fat fast.

Thanks so much for your reply post, it is so encouraging to know that someone has been where you are now. I will continue to post with my results and maybe something will click soon.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:51 PM   #113
Junior LCF Member

Oops, I forgot......bgavin....I read in Atkins New Diet Revolution that in some people caffeine can "mimick" the effects of sugar in the bloodstream. I had to give up caffeine. The first week of induction I cut back to just once cup in the morning and thereafter I drank decaf only. The second week into induction I was no longer drinking the caffeinated coffee, I was strickly drinking the decaf. I got Maxwell house decaf and it tastes (to me) like regular caffeinated coffee. Another thing, don't use instant coffee at all, it has carbs in it. I hope that might be of some help.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:56 PM   #114
Senior LCF Member

ketosis

does anyone know how long the metalic "ketosis" taste in your mouth lasts? Does it go away in time? The funny thing...this is my 5th day, I have that taste in mouth, but ketosis stick showing negative!
Old 08-26-2008, 11:36 AM   #115
Junior LCF Member

My daughter had the metallic taste and the night sweats (hot flashes) while in ketosis. It does go away, but probably not overnight. I figure the body slowly changes operating modes, rather than suddenly.

I have entered minor ketosis, i.e. 15 mg/dL according to the strips. The last time I did Atkins (years ago), I peeled off 3/4 pound per day. Not so fortunate this time. Very slow loss. I'd prefer a faster rate, but will take whatever I can get at this age.

Blood sugar morning numbers are stabilizing much lower, i.e. 124, down from Horrible. Daytime numbers remain in the low 120s all day, up to bed time. This is a major improvement for me. Hunger pangs are gone.

For me, the diuretic stoppage was an immediate gain. Resumption was an immediate weight loss. I have to take them for blood pressure issues, which I expect will be gone some 46 pounds from now.

I think coffee is far more insidious as a stalling agent than I realized. Another suspect is the Splenda or ?? used in Jello. I don't know if it is another one to avoid or not.

Last edited by bgavin; 08-26-2008 at 11:44 AM..
Old 08-30-2008, 07:49 AM   #116
Junior LCF Member

No diet change, but morning sugar numbers took a turn for the worse. Weight is completely stalled and has been for the last 4 days. Carb intake is only trace amounts present in protein and fat foods.

I'm drinking only decaf coffee with half-half, and gave up the Jello. No impact, either way. 3 Eggs, 4 bacon, cheese chunks, lettuce, celery, green onions, Ranch dressing, and a few Macadamia nuts. Fried pork rinds for a crunchy snack. One Diet Coke per week or so.

I'm scratching my head over trying to find the source of the sugar. I know some 57% of protein is converted to glucagen, so that must be it. Ketosis remain 15mg/dL which is considered a "small" amount. I appear to be highly metabolic-resistant. Bummer.

I will step up the exercise program after 9/6, when I have some free time.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:57 PM   #117
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WickedCrafty
Stats: 228/205/175
Start Date: restart 1 May 2009
Quote:
does anyone know how long the metalic "ketosis" taste in your mouth lasts? Does it go away in time? The funny thing...this is my 5th day, I have that taste in mouth, but ketosis stick showing negative!
I get the nasty taste but never have had a ketosis stick turn for me. I still lose, but am not sure if I ever really go into ketosis.
WickedCrafty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 05:06 PM   #118
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Bethshaya
Stats: 205/203/125
Start Date: 12.28.08
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clara View Post
my body shape is apple. my frame size is big boned, broad - My waist is thick set and 32 inches, they say if your waist is over 30 - for women you at risk of heart diesease and diebetes

So its possible to be in ketosis and not burn any fat? -

I really confused, there is excess fat on my body......

Sorry im new to the board, just jumped right in here and moaned but im at the stage where if i dont see any results i will give up and I know that isnt a good idea.

According to the people in the know, your ideal weight should be between 135 and 168 pounds for your height. Since you are already on the low end of that range, you body probably doesn't have more to lose.
Bethshaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 05:09 PM   #119
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Bethshaya
Stats: 205/203/125
Start Date: 12.28.08
Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedCrafty View Post
I get the nasty taste but never have had a ketosis stick turn for me. I still lose, but am not sure if I ever really go into ketosis.
It could be you are losing because you have restricted your calories too much, but not in ketosis because your carbs are too high?

Have you used any Ketostix to see if you are in ketosis?
Bethshaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 05:14 PM   #120
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WickedCrafty
Stats: 228/205/175
Start Date: restart 1 May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethshaya View Post
It could be you are losing because you have restricted your calories too much, but not in ketosis because your carbs are too high?

Have you used any Ketostix to see if you are in ketosis?

My carbs are never above 20. I have some sticks on order!
WickedCrafty is offline   Reply With Quote