Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2007, 08:31 AM   #61
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: sjmiller
Stats: 182/125/125
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/29/03
>>because the problem was that i was invited and couldn't refuse everything.
So yesterday back on track but still no ketosis like it was previous week.
Thats the problem if you can not control the menu.>>

You can refuse. I do it all the time at friends.

You can eat before hand so you're not so hungry.

You could bring some food to share.
sjmiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2007, 10:27 AM   #62
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: karenjeanne
wow could that possibly be? The servings of meat are very large... and the mayo, eggs (in the revolution rolls), whipping cream in coffee & the renee's dressing are very high fat and calories... I can't imagine that being a low calorie diet! Oh don't forget the butter!

Last edited by karenjeanne; 04-12-2007 at 10:27 AM.. Reason: forgot something
karenjeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 12:35 AM   #63
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: guardian
Stats: 232/222.6/182 (-9.4lbs)
Start Date: 2 jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmiller View Post
>>because the problem was that i was invited and couldn't refuse everything.
So yesterday back on track but still no ketosis like it was previous week.
Thats the problem if you can not control the menu.>>

You can refuse. I do it all the time at friends.

You can eat before hand so you're not so hungry.

You could bring some food to share.

Same here.
This whole week i am on induction again but no ketosis like previous weeks.
All gone because of my stupid sunday.
guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 04:34 AM   #64
Senior LCF Member

Hot wings with salad for supper last night. This time I skipped the dressing on the salad. It has no carbs but I'm wondering if my slow metab can handle all the fat. Sticks are just barely hinting of pink this morning. By the time I leave for work they are usually medium pink but that is the darkest I can usually get them. I intend to go back to no breakfasts too. I'm not that hungry in the morning anyway and if it helps then great.
Old 05-12-2007, 08:43 AM   #65
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jtinker
Stats: happy right now.
Start Date: 2000/2001 lost 120.lbs start 4 /20/07
OK that was a depressing site,
jtinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 05:23 AM   #66
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: sjmiller
Stats: 182/125/125
Start Date: 12/29/03
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenjeanne View Post
Hot wings with salad for supper last night. This time I skipped the dressing on the salad. It has no carbs but I'm wondering if my slow metab can handle all the fat. Sticks are just barely hinting of pink this morning. By the time I leave for work they are usually medium pink but that is the darkest I can usually get them. I intend to go back to no breakfasts too. I'm not that hungry in the morning anyway and if it helps then great.
If you turn the sticks ANY color, that's fine for Atkins.

The color of the stick... it just really doesn't matter.

Why oh why are you giving all this power to what color your pee turns a stick?

And... you shouldn't do without breakfast!!!! It's the most important meal you eat every day... it's the meal that gets your metabolism going... and is the food that fuels your metabolism!

If you have a slow metabolism, not feeding it isn't going to help.

Not feeding your metabolism is simply not 1) going to help you heal your metabolism or 2) help you lose weight.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:19 AM   #67
Senior LCF Member

Nothing will heal my metabolism. I had radioactive iodine treatment on my thyroid and in effect, no longer have one. Whenever I go back to eating breakfast, I gain weight. Its always been that way. As for the sticks, I quit buying them. I had bright pink sticks for a month or more and not one ounce of weight lost. My fat is super stubborn even though I only want to get rid of 10 - 15 pounds.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:14 AM   #68
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jtinker
Stats: happy right now.
Start Date: 2000/2001 lost 120.lbs start 4 /20/07
i know if i eat sugar twin & cream. and s/f jello that dose me in..
jtinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 01:43 PM   #69
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: xavierseve
Stats: 180/180/130
WOE: ATIKINS
Start Date: JUNE 6 2007
not losing either

I am on week 2 today not weight lose or inches gone but my cyle is here so i here that may be a problem i sure hope so.
this week i will be couting calories and starting a step class.
last week i ate till i was full when ever i was hungy am no excersise at all i just sat around
I eat 4eggs in the morining with a little onions and tomatoes from a pre measured 1/2 cup full not lunch and the had a 3cup salad for dinner with the remaing onions a tomatoes some ham chunks and eggs and mayo as dressing
i ate that for the whole week PLEASE COMMENT

I AM 5'4 180
xavierseve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 08:14 AM   #70
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LaRae
Stats: 270/252.5/I'll know
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Restart 11/19/12
I am on Day 8 of Induction. I was losing around a pound a day but on the 7th day, I was up 1 1/2 lbs. When I weighed this morning, the weight was the same. It is so easy to let yourself use anything for an excuse not to stay on this WOE, but I am staying with it. It is a great WOE, and I know it will work. I used to turn heads, but now I look in the mirror and want to gag! I plan stay with Low Carb/Atkins for good. Little by little . . . I'm going to look good again! I don't mean to stress the appearance only; I also worry about diabetes, heart health, etc. I know this is the answer to a better LIFE!
You can do it; it will help with your cravings. If it can help ME, it will help you. I couldn't believe how my hunger changed. For me, the carbs only made me crave more carbs, and I have no control over portions. YOU CAN DO THIS!

Ephesians 2:8-10 Faith Plus Nothing

I Corinthians 15:1-4 Gospel of Grace

Last edited by LaRae; 06-20-2007 at 08:15 AM..
LaRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 01:34 AM   #71
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: guardian
Stats: 232/222.6/182 (-9.4lbs)
Start Date: 2 jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierseve View Post
I am on week 2 today not weight lose or inches gone but my cyle is here so i here that may be a problem i sure hope so.
this week i will be couting calories and starting a step class.
last week i ate till i was full when ever i was hungy am no excersise at all i just sat around
I eat 4eggs in the morining with a little onions and tomatoes from a pre measured 1/2 cup full not lunch and the had a 3cup salad for dinner with the remaing onions a tomatoes some ham chunks and eggs and mayo as dressing
i ate that for the whole week PLEASE COMMENT

I AM 5'4 180
Hi there, i think you ate to much proteins and i don't see fat on your list.
So up the fat a lot and down the protein and also watch out with onions because they also have carbs...
Just use the scale an look how much onions you use.
guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 06:36 AM   #72
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mrowvera
I've been on Atkins for a little over two weeks now, with about 20 lbs to lose. So far I've lost 5lbs, which I suspect to be waterweight. I weighed myself Sunday and was down another 3lbs, but, much to my dismay, today I'm back where I started. I have, however, lose 1 inch in my waist, and 3 inches in my hips/legs. I should also mention that I'm currently on birth control and Sunday was the last day of my period...And I know when I went on birth control initially I gained...

Is there anyway for me to remedy this? The only thing I could think of is to come off of birth control but that really isn't an option for me, especially not in the near future. Or should I just keep going and hope for the best?
mrowvera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 03:56 PM   #73
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MiaDolceBella
Any succesful story on each week? for example: 1 week...3 lbs down
2 week...1.7 lbs down, etc.

Just let me know...for motivation and support...thanks
MiaDolceBella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 01:25 PM   #74
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nochunkymunky
Stats: 235/174/145 re-start 197/189
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: 07/28/03--09/27/07--02/01/09
Hi all! I re-started a week ago--down 5lbs. This induction period is hard, and it must be followed TO THE LETTER! Now is not the time for cheating, no ifs and or buts about it I had much success the first time around (almost 75lbs), and thou I gained less than 1/2 back, I hit that "THIS MUST STOP....TIME TO GET REALLY AND TAKE CHARGE!!!" It is not easy, but no one said it would be. It is such a help to read about others problems and that we can turn to each other for help!!

two goofy's
nochunkymunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 09:49 AM   #75
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Tanner@920
help

I have been on low carb before and maintained it for years. Now I've gained a few pounds and want to lose again. However, I've been on induction for about 3 weeks and don't see much movement on the scale. Can stress cause you not to lose weight?? I'm getting divorced, selling my home and own a business, plus I have a 14 yr old daughter that is in cheerleading, volleyball, etc, etc, etc!!!!!!!!!! I've heard it can....anyone???
Tanner@920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 09:42 AM   #76
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ltip
Stats: 165/143/135
Start Date: Mid Jan 07
Same Boat

We went back on Atkins in March, went down a size, quit smoking in may, went back up a size, now we started again Sept 1 and I have lost......
1 stinkin pound! I am so mad and depressed that I really could just cry. I would be happy with 20 pounds, but i am so worried about my DH, he is not losing much either. and he put on alot more than me during that time, all in his belly.That really worries me. I am just so frustrated!
ltip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 07:24 PM   #77
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: carolyn2008
Hey I was wondering if anyone knows if Hansens Diet soad is ok. I have been drinking them as well as flavored carbonated water and I am not losing any weight. Does this stall weightloss in Induction?
carolyn2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:05 AM   #78
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: trishdadish
you all are scaring me it sounds like its almost a loosin battle
trishdadish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 07:39 PM   #79
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: fatbuster
Stats: 205/205/170
Start Date: April 2008
4 years ago i had lost 25 lbs on Atkins induction diet, i then quit smoking and put 30lbs back on, i've been on Atkins diet for now 12 days and i'm not losing a once, i'm very discouraged but i'm going to keep trying by cutting back on my portions a bit and see what happens with that, the saying is"if at first you dont succeed try try again"
fatbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 07:21 AM   #80
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: buddysgirl50
Stats: 205/190/135
WOE: DANDR 2002
Start Date: May 3 2008
Well this is my two week mark and I was down 5 pounds only to have gained back one. I have not noticed any distance in my clothes either. I am not eating anything that I am not suppose to so I am getting frustrated. I am staying on Induction until I am down at least 10 pounds.
buddysgirl50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 04:28 AM   #81
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: neenaE
Stats: 318/163/145
WOE: Atkins and exercise since Nov.2003
Start Date: 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topazz View Post
[COLOR=Purple]Induction Week Two
Taken from "Atkins Essentials" book
~~~~~~~~~

If the fat is not coming off, the scale is not your friend, and your clothes are still too snug.... don't despair! First, double check your measurements. Some people lose inches without losing pounds. (This can happen in any phase of Atkins). If that's not the case, it just means you're amoung the small percentage of people whose bodies are somewhat resistant to shedding pounds, a condition commonly referred to as metabolic resistance. Like life, it's not fair, but we can help you overcome most of the reasons for this annoying tendancy.

Resistance to weight loss can occure for a number of reasons. Some can be influenced by changes in behavior or lifestyle. For example, if you are eating too much, you can learn to moderate your portions. If you are sedentary, you can find an exercise regimen that you enjoy and that suits your lifestyle. Individuals with very high insulin levels are likely to be slow starters meaning that they may lose very little weight (or none) until they have controlled carbs for a longer period of time than people with more normal insulin levels.

You may lose slowly in the week before your menstrual period. Cravings may also be aggravated during this time. Just be patient. Weight loss is likely to speed up once you have finished your menses.

Solving other problems, such as an underlying thyroid or use of medications that either make you gain weight or slow weight loss are more complex, but in concert with your doctor, you can seek solutions.

Then there are things that you simply cannot do anything about : Genetics and age are obviously beyond your control. So is hormonal status - menopause and perimenopause typically slow a woman's metabolism- or a sluggish thyroid. In such cases, you need to readjust your expectations. You may never get down to the weight you were as a younger person, OR it may take you longer than you originally hoped.

Another common reason for your body to resist weight loss is a history of going on and off diets, known as yo-yo dieting. When you get into a pattern of repeatedly losing and gaining weight, your body becomes adept at protecting it's fat stores by slowing down your metabolism.

~~~~~~
additionally the book discusses medications can interfere with weight loss. Common culprits are :
Antidepressants
Estrogen
drugs for high blood pressure
Remember: Check with your doctor before changing or stopping any medications. Talk to your doctor about alternatives.

~~~~~
So, if you are facing less than steady weight loss at this point, it just means that your body is a bit slower to release it's fat stores and your weight loss will likely be more gradual. If you are a slow loser, you may also experience frustrating stalls, when the pounds simply refuse to budge at all.

Be patient! Don't let it get you down, and by all means, don't give up!
(There are additional adjustments discussed in the next section of the book.)[/COLOR]
This was so great to se, as that is one of the books that I do not have. I am finishing week one of reinduction and I weighed to find that all my efforts are in vein. I am up 1lb from monday.
I am so SAD!
=(
neenaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 09:40 AM   #82
Junior LCF Member

Stats: Start: 300 lb 2007 // Current: 200 lb 2011
WOE: WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 08/2009
Stalled but Determined

I hope this thread stays alive - it is full of really good questions and answers, tips and hints.

I'm finishing up my 3rd week with ANA and after losing 5 pounds the first week, i haven't lost anymore. I think becuase my cravings and hungers was so low after the first week (a very good thing) i started to eat less calories.

This week i'm trying something new. I'm still going to stay in the induction phase for now but i am really ramping up my calories and fat intake. I am also cutting out all aspertame, continuing to drink 64+ oz water, and now i am adding strength training to my existing exercise routine (40 min fast walking, 4 days a week). For me, i think the weight training is going to be key. Before starting my ANA i lost 55 pounds on a low-cal, low-fat and i think my metabolism just grinded to a halt. Now, with low-carb and high fat (yum) AND strength training, i'm hoping to stoke my internal furnace and get things moving again.

Although i have been rather discouraged for not losing these past 2 weeks i'm still very satisfied with the ANA and overall, i feel great.

Let's keep this thread going. How is everyone doing out there??
CharlestonChickade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 12:06 AM   #83
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mrs jones
Stats: 170/162/125
WOE: low carb
Start Date: June 2008
Hello, all. I am freshly started on Atkins induction, again. First time was about 6 years ago and I lost about 40lbs, kept it off until I got pregs with my second child. Then went on it again and got down to my ideal weight until getting pregs again with twins. Nearly got down to my ideal weight again when I got caught pregs again (surprise visitor!). Now babiest baby is 6 months old and I am at it again. I have been on induction for 2 weeks now, lost 8lbs first 10 days, but gained 2lbs these past 4 days.

average daily diet is like so:

2 cups coffee with heavy cream and no-carb sweetener
2 hard boiled eggs
3 cherry tomatoes
2 hard boiled eggs (again)
4 slices bacon
4 slices cheddar cheese
1 Atkins Advantage bar
1 salad with 1 cup lettuce, 1/4 cup chopped green pepper, 1/2 small avocado, 1 stick chopped celery, 4 slices cucumber, 1 tbspn mayonnaise with added black pepper and garlic powder

carb total, as I count them, using the tables provided in the carb counter on this site, are usually between 14 and 17 carbs per day. So.... what's my problem?

I considered that the atkins advantage bar may be to blame? but surely they would want the bars to complement the diet to sell more product or am i wrong assuming so?

Also, though I lost weight in the first 10 days, my ketone strips never showed me as being in ketosis, nor do they show that now... I am confused. I am being stricter this time around than I had been the previous 2 times I was on the diet, but I am getting not the same, quick results as before...

Any responses would be greatly appreciated. )

Last edited by mrs jones; 07-03-2008 at 12:08 AM..
mrs jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 08:18 PM   #84
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Conure
Stats: 195.2/153.8/140
Start Date: June 18, 2008
I've noticed that the Atkins bars slow or halt my weight loss. I've cut them out and on the second day of no bar, I lost a pound. I lost another pound the next.

Try cutting them out and see if it helps.
Conure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:09 AM   #85
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: backtoshape
Stats: 200/140
WOE: atkins
Start Date: july 6, 2008
hi! i am a newbie, just getting started, 2day of induction phase, first timer! i have never been on any diet, i just ballooned up after my wedding( 2yr and 1 week ago), we just went on ur 2yr anniv trip, and nothin fits! right now 5'5 200lbs
my goal is 140lbs, any tips! i work at a hospital so any good snack ideas would be great, something i could just bring in my pocket and eat, nothin to microwave, snacks on the go
backtoshape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 08:08 AM   #86
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: christine99
Good morning everyone...newbie to the board but not a newbie to dieting lol

I started an induction this am...been following an Atkins regime for a few weeks and failed miserably over the holiday weekend
christine99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:02 AM   #87
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: maizenbluebabe
Stats: 182.0/168.4/150
WOE: LowCarb, JUDDD
Start Date: June 08
FABULOUS RESULTS despite very little weight loss (or at least I think so)

OK, so I did induction just as it is to be followed strictly, not even any fruit and no "legal" treats.

And I am down two pounds in two weeks. Sometimes, the stix showed ketosis, sometimes very little, and sometimes, none at all.

But here is the fabulous part--I am losing "fluffiness" and havent even been exercising enough to even count.

In fact, I have lost enough fluffyfatness that I am down a whole dress size from XL to L, and a whole shirt size, the same. And a denim skort size from 14 to 12. It is weird, I know. but I must be doing something right.

Also, I am combining Atkins with Dr Johnson's and Dr herring's kinds of IintermittantFasting or Alternate Fasting--500 calories one day and more ( a normal amount) the next--I dont keep a careful measure of calories on "UpDays" but it is all low-carb. Additionally, I am combining this with Dr Herring's approach of eating 5-6 hours per day--usually from 1 until 6. And even on my "down days" I am not even hungry. IN fact, I feel stuffed after a meal. (Do stomachs really shrink?)

Today is a DownDay--all I have had so far is coffee with some half and half in it and I am not hungry or weak or feeling deprived (a little deprAved maybe, but not deprIved) . In another half hour or so, I will put together a low carb meal--maybe a couple of boiled eggs and a small salad. Then have tuna and broccoli for dinner and be finished totally with my eating by about 6. I dont suffer evening craves and my only problem has been that I have to be really really faithful to taking my psyllium.

Havent measured, alas, so am not sure of exact inches lost, but wearing a smaller dress size sure feels good. I tend to carry a lot of weight around my midriff--have almost lost my waistline--think my measurements must have gotten to about 40-40-40 and I am pretty bosomy to start with, so being able to button a size L shirt is a real triumph for me and I am beginning to see the remnants of my waistline again. I am sure this will all get better as I begin to work out a bit and be more physically active. And tomorrow I am going to find a tape measure and see what is actually going on with my measurements.

If it is slow going, DONT GIVE UP! And dont worship your scale!! As many peeps here who are a lot wiser and experienced than I am have said, the scale is only a small part of the story and doesnt always reflect what is really going on inside our mysterious and sometimes goofy little bods.

I lost those same two pounds several times in the past two weeks but the "bouncing scale" didnt stop me from doing what I KNOW will eventually work.

I AM SHRINKING and that helps me know I have power over the scale!
maizenbluebabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:14 AM   #88
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs jones View Post
Hello, all. I am freshly started on Atkins induction, again. First time was about 6 years ago and I lost about 40lbs, kept it off until I got pregs with my second child. Then went on it again and got down to my ideal weight until getting pregs again with twins. Nearly got down to my ideal weight again when I got caught pregs again (surprise visitor!). Now babiest baby is 6 months old and I am at it again. I have been on induction for 2 weeks now, lost 8lbs first 10 days, but gained 2lbs these past 4 days.

average daily diet is like so:

2 cups coffee with heavy cream and no-carb sweetener
2 hard boiled eggs
3 cherry tomatoes
2 hard boiled eggs (again)
4 slices bacon
4 slices cheddar cheese
1 Atkins Advantage bar
1 salad with 1 cup lettuce, 1/4 cup chopped green pepper, 1/2 small avocado, 1 stick chopped celery, 4 slices cucumber, 1 tbspn mayonnaise with added black pepper and garlic powder

carb total, as I count them, using the tables provided in the carb counter on this site, are usually between 14 and 17 carbs per day. So.... what's my problem?

I considered that the atkins advantage bar may be to blame? but surely they would want the bars to complement the diet to sell more product or am i wrong assuming so?

Also, though I lost weight in the first 10 days, my ketone strips never showed me as being in ketosis, nor do they show that now... I am confused. I am being stricter this time around than I had been the previous 2 times I was on the diet, but I am getting not the same, quick results as before...

Any responses would be greatly appreciated. )
What a wonderful family you must have, and what a busy mommy you must be! Your diet sounds super to me (except the Atkins bar as has already been mentioned) but I also wonder if perhaps you are getting enough sodium in your cheese and bacon to make it seem like you are not losing fat when it is water retention that might be the problem. I am so sodium sensitive that I really have to watch every little grain of salt I take in.

And it is worth mentioning that many of us who lose a lot the first time on Atkins, dont always repeat that rapid success the next time around.

Additionally, keep in mind that if you are losing fat, you are probably gaining muscle and muscle weighs more than Fluffiness.

So dont give up--your initial weight loss sounds quite impressive, and you will be getting quite a bit of exercise keeping up with your (soon-to-be) 4 active little people leading you a merry chase. And dont forget, sometimes when we least expect it The Whoosh Fairie makes a visit and cheers us on our way!

Last edited by maizenbluebabe; 07-08-2008 at 10:15 AM..
Old 07-08-2008, 11:37 AM   #89
Major LCF Poster!

Please forgive my wordiness today, but I have some thoughts about Eating Out. This has often been my downfall and developed into an actual aversion to eating anywhere but at home. So this time around (induction) I tried to think up a few tricks for myself--several of which have already been mentioned, but thought I'd also mention them again and put my own twist on them.

Two days after beginning induction, we had to eat dinner out at restaurants 3 nights in a row (birthday celebrations and a get-together with some cousins at a favorite "country restaurant" they like.) The first two nights, I looked up at the waitresses and said, "I cant have starches or sugars--I am a pre-diabetic." Boy, that was the magic phrase! They smilingly, brought me The Good STuff like steamed veggies minus the carrots, and containing only the steamed yellow crooked-neck squash and broccoli I did not have any of their marvelous potato rolls made on the place and available as a pre-dinner snack (all you want) while you wait for the meal although everyone else had them. Brought my own little Splenda packets for the unsweet iced tea which I had instead of my usual glass of Merlot.

Second night, pretty much the same thing. The night we went to the "country restaurant" (they have horrible starchy food--almost nothing Low-Carb) I brought my own stuff to put in the greens I got from their salad bar including my own dressing and some cheese and meat sticks and a few chopped veggies. Nobody even noticed and I came home full and satisfied and feeling good about myself. The others had pie--I had another glass of tea and was happy.

I have recently eaten lunch out three times with the young chap ( doing a lot of repairing and painting around here) at a place that he likes to go to (my treat--he works like a dog for us and we were shopping for materials at Lowe's) The cafe near Lowe's has wonderful reubens and similar sandwiches which I just love. But again, I had their simple green salad and brought my own additions and again, no one gave a damn what I added to the salad or my unsweet iced tea. (Even Chuck, sitting across the table from me ,was too busy with his own sandwich to care what I ate.)

When I know I have to eat out, I try to think ahead and plan what I can discretely bring with me to keep from screwing up all the hard work I have put into this program. Of course, my life is a lot simpler (and my food choices, easier) than people with jobs and demanding schedules which take them from home all day since we are both retired. Nonetheless, I once did Atkins while I was working and applied the same sneaky tricks which others use and which I have mentioned her

As others have said, you have to plan ahead and make an agreement with yourself IN ADVANCE about what you will do when offered (or urged) things not on your list. When I have had occasions where a hostess would be insulted, I'd have a bite, mess things around on my plate and ask for 2nd helpings of allowable stuff (and I have rarely encountered an actual meal where it was all carbs (except a kids' birthday party of cake and ice cream only.)

Following Atkins, especially induction, requires some creativity and deception. I am, at this point, NOT going to say, "well, I am on Atkins and I cant have that." Most people around here still believe the "oh, you are killing yourself " crap and I am simply not going to waste my time arguing with them or trying to justify myself. I dont have the patience or the time. I will gladly tell an outright lie like, "oh, dear, I'd love some of that, but I'm having a tummy problem and anything with sugar in it right now just makes me real sick--gives me a terrible stomach ache." Said apologetically and then they feel sorry for you and almost no one has the ill manners to argue. I have also been known to say, "I am allergic to starchy things--" People then assume I have Celiac Disease and leave me alone.

In other words, WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS, LIE LIKE HELL!! And dont cast your pearls before swine who dont know a healthy WOE when they see it.

MY personal theory (and I'm sticking to it) is that the time to say the magic word (Atkins) is when you have reached goal and have a bunch of impressive stats to wave in front of them like lower BP, great lipid profile, and your doctor's admiration!
Old 07-08-2008, 06:04 PM   #90
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: laceymichelle
Stats: 150/127/125
Start Date: July 12
How the plan works

Ok....so I have been on Atkins for almost 4 weeks now and not lost anything - well maybe 2 lbs the first week....anyway, I feel like each week my menu gets better...more to the induction rules. The first 2 weeks I was taking about 6 nicotine lozenges a day...and I think that may have contributed to no loss. Anyway, i know the rules limit your daily veggie intake (3 cups salad, or 1 cup other veg)....What does this day look like in your opnion, I am not limiting my veggies only counting carbs....Do you this sample day is right on in order to lose???

Breakfast: 4oz cream cheese, 2 eggs, 1 splenda mixed and baked
maybe some black coffee

lunhc: can of green beans or spinach (entire can) with butter and a hamburger plain OR chicken breast (some form of meat) OR if I am eating out a chicken ceaser with no croutons

dinner: some form of meat with more veggies or a small salad

I usually also have 1 diet right zero daily and the rest is water. I basicly know to limit my cheese (3-4oz) and heavy cream (3oz) and splenda (3-4 packs) daily,....Im done measuring veggies though

Thanks......Lacey
laceymichelle is offline   Reply With Quote