Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 11:36 AM   #301
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: prettygirlpoppin
Stats: 273/266/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July19, 2010
Induction with no results

Hey everyone, well, I am back to give it another try. I had been so discouraged because I seemed to not lose any weight after trying a few weight loss programs. I came back to Atkins after remembering how successful I was back in 2004. I have been on the induction phase for 8 days now and have only loss 3 pounds so far. I am a type 2 diabetic and have been having problems keeping my insulin levels in the normal range. I can honestly say induction has now gotten those numbers down to normal and I have had to scale back on the metformin that I had been taking. But, I believe that my body needs to adjust and it will just take time. I'm settling in to win this war cause I have got to get rid of this disease and come off of the meds. I have began to walk again and plan to just take my time. I know that my metabolism will kick in soon.

One of the things that helps me has been the frozen meals and going on the Atkins website. I found an induction plan for two weeks and it had some great variety on there. I plan to try it for another two weeks until I get what I need. Pray for me! I know I can do it!!!
prettygirlpoppin is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2013, 05:44 PM   #302
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: wyterayven
Stats: 275.8/222.8/175 6 feet tall
WOE: atkins
Start Date: Start over date: Jan 01, 2013
I dont know how old you are, but I found that the first time I tried Atkins, in my 30s I lost 3-4 pounds a week. The next time I tried it, in my 40s, I lost about 2 pounds a week...very occasionally 3 pounds.

I am back on induction myself and just finished my first week. I lost 9 pounds, though the last time I did this I lost 12.

I think as you age your metabolism changes and makes it slower to loose. I suspect also that your metabolism changes with diabetes. My husband is diabetic, and I noticed changes in him when he was diagnosed (different odor, etc), so that may play a role.

You might also look to the medications you are taking. Some meds can impact weight loss, and many meds have carbs. You might be getting carbs you havent counted from that.

Im sick and took nyquil last night...it it knocked me out of ketosis.

I think I'll try to forgo the nyquil tonight. <sigh>
Old 01-11-2013, 12:20 PM   #303
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mspartytime
Stats: 248/240/155
WOE: ATkins induction
Start Date: started induction 12/27/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyhoch View Post
I thought I would have lost at least 5 pounds within the first 8 days, but no. I have lost 2. I used a ketone strip this evening and take some consolation in knowing it is more purple than it was yesterday, so tomorrow will be better, right? I have been following the rules strictly so the weight's GOTTA go, right? Ugh. Go Purple.
From my understanding the color of the ketone strip only indicates the concentrated ketones being expelled so for instance in the morning where you are likely to be dyhydrated from sleep you will get a more purple color to the strip. So make sure you are getting enough water cause sometimes that is what the purple color means. BUT any color means you are in ketosis and that means the weight is coming off
mspartytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:55 AM   #304
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: prettygirlpoppin
Stats: 273/266/150
Start Date: July19, 2010
Ok-I found out the hard way that the Atkins shakes and bars do not work for me right now. They caused me to stall and I was really hoping to have something new to eat for snacks at work and while on the go. Unfortunately, They not only stalled me but I gained a pound in the course of just three days having one shake for breakfast in the morning and one bar for snacks after lunch. Huge Bomber!!!

The scale seems to be moving very slowly for me and I have quite a bit of wieght to lose. I am not eating artificial sugars anymore after that and I am only drinking water. I stay within the 20g carb range and I sometimes eat less then that on certain days when I don't have an appetite. Please help!
prettygirlpoppin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:58 PM   #305
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mspartytime
Stats: 248/240/155
WOE: ATkins induction
Start Date: started induction 12/27/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettygirlpoppin View Post
Ok-I found out the hard way that the Atkins shakes and bars do not work for me right now. They caused me to stall and I was really hoping to have something new to eat for snacks at work and while on the go. Unfortunately, They not only stalled me but I gained a pound in the course of just three days having one shake for breakfast in the morning and one bar for snacks after lunch. Huge Bomber!!!

The scale seems to be moving very slowly for me and I have quite a bit of wieght to lose. I am not eating artificial sugars anymore after that and I am only drinking water. I stay within the 20g carb range and I sometimes eat less then that on certain days when I don't have an appetite. Please help!
I have heard that if you have stalled for more than 2 weeks then doing a Fat Fast is helpful. SOmetimes though you have to write down everything and the carbs for a few days to get a really good idea if you are truly staying under the 20 carbs. Look for hidden carbs and check the servings listed on packages. IF something says it has < 1 carb but has 4 servings per container than chances are you are comsuming several carbs without even realizing it. Some good examples of hidden carbs is lunch meat, bacon, vienna sausages, flavored pork rinds, store bought beef jerky or slim jims. All of these products can say < 1 carb but unless you stick to the 1 serving it is more than 1 carb and should be counted toward your daily 20 carb allowance. Also measure your vegatables and count them as well. This way of eating works. Don't give up.

12/27/2012: 248
1/4/2013: 241
1/11/2013: 240
1/18/2013: 238

Children are a blessing from God.
mspartytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:23 PM   #306
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: coffeebean17339
Stats: 206/206/148
WOE: Starting Atkins
Start Date: 1/14/2013
Day 7 of Induction/No weight-inches lost

I am on Day 7 of Induction and no weight loss or inches lost. I know this may be common however I am also concerned if I am doing something wrong? I did the Atkins diet about 10 years ago and it worked great in the beginning and all in all lost 45 pounds.

My typical diet consists of:

Breakfast: 2 scrambled eggs with bacon or redpepper and onion
1 cup of regular coffee with 1/2 and 1/2

AM Snack: cheese

Lunch: small portion of meat (chicken, beef) and hardboiled egg

Dinner: Portion of meat (chicken, beef, tuna) 2 cups of lettuce with zero
carb dressing that has no sugar in, 1 cup cauliflower or brocolli

PM Snack: Sometimes Atkins bar (I don't do these every night)
or Cheese or a few pork rinds

I drink about 6 glasses of water a day

A couple times a week I have a Pepsi One(that has splenda in it)

What could or should I do differently? I do have a bad taste in my mouth and a sweet taste as well so I believe I have ketosis going on.

Any suggestions? Just concerned why have not lost.

I also take no meds.

Thanks so much,
Cindy
coffeebean17339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:34 PM   #307
Major LCF Poster!

Onions are high in carbs...so you might look at that. Half and Half has more carbs that whipping cream.

The atkins bar may well be contributing to your stall. I dont think those are really safe until you are on maintenance. They have sugar alcohols and will stall you.

You might also look at the total number of calories you are intaking. You can eat too many calories to lose weight on atkins (been there,sigh)

If it were me, I would cut out the onions and the atkins. Watch the salt.

You might also join a tracker site and track your calories and carbs. I alter my foods there so that it reports the net carbs.

Look at any medication or vitamins/supplements you are taking. Many have carbs.

You can increase your exercise as well.

I am 48. I am 6 feet tall and about 85 pounds overweight. I shoot for between 1200 and 1400 calories a day, and currently I am eating about 9-10 carbs a day. I know that some of my meds have carbs, so I want to give enough leeway for that.

Get some ketone test strips. They will tell you if you are in ketosis or not. If you arent then you are getting extra carbs from somewhere.
wyterayven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:10 PM   #308
Junior LCF Member

Altered foods slightly

Thank you for your response.

I have altered things slightly per your response.

I am using whipping cream instead of half and half and have cut out all onion.

I am not using any Atkins bars at all.

I only take one med at the time and I cannot see anywhere that it includes any carbs. It is Omeprazole.

I am trying to add some exercise although I have very bad fibromyalgia which limits too much intensity.

I have cut portions a little too even though they were not large before.

I am down 3 lbs. I know it's not much but it's a start in the right direction.

I am still looking for ketone strips. I had gotten them in drug stores before but may have to order them online now unless someone knows where to purchase them.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:40 AM   #309
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cedargardenfoods
Stats: 160/150
Day 2 induction. Wish me luck.
Cedargardenfoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:56 PM   #310
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean17339 View Post

I am still looking for ketone strips. I had gotten them in drug stores before but may have to order them online now unless someone knows where to purchase them.
I found them in the very small diabetic section at CVS pharmacy, otherwise probably online is the only option anymore.

Sounds like you are headed in the right direction.

I have stalled this week, I think its water retention for the TOM. But the ketone strips have shown I have been in ketosis the whole time, so I know the scale will move again

Good luck. It doesnt matter what program, losing weight is hard and discouraging so its great to have a place like this to come.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:57 PM   #311
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedargardenfoods View Post
Day 2 induction. Wish me luck.
Good luck! You can do it!
Old 02-12-2013, 07:20 AM   #312
Junior LCF Member

Still no weight loss

Hello

I am on Week 4 and still have zero weight loss. I lose 2 lbs and gain it back. And I am sure this is just water still.

I am very strictly following induction. My boyfriend has lost 12 lbs.

I am 49 years old. Weight 206lbs. 5 foot 6
I take one medication for acid reflux that I researched and the carbs and very very low. .000 something.

Breakfast:
2 scrambled eggs
2 bacon
1 coffee with heavy cream

Lunch:
Hardboiled egg
Water

Dinner:
Portion of either chicken, beef or pork
2 cups of lettuce with zero carb dressing
1 cup of either brocolli or cauliflower cooked with a little butter on

Snack:
Only sometimes do I have a snack of 1 oz of cheese or a few pork rinds.

Drinking moderate amounts of water
Sometimes a Sparking ICE drink but never every day.

Do not sit most all day although I do not exercise vigorisly. I have fibromyalgia and that limits my exercise but like I said I do not sit around or lay around all day.

Can anyone offer an help here? I did this diet in 2004 and lost 45 lbs. And lost a good bit in the beginning. Like I said my boyfriend eating the same thing I am has lost 12lbs. He is 65 and sits all day for work in the office.

My ketone sticks had been very dark purple for 3 weeks with no loss.
Now they are light pink. Nothing has changed in what I was doing.

Please help as I am getting frustrated and worried. I need to lose some weight.

Thank you.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:15 PM   #313
Major LCF Poster!

You're diet looks pretty good.

You might have to increase your water...you are eating salty foods, and so perhaps you are retaining.

You may have to deliberately increase your exercise. Can you walk? Or perhaps find a pool you can go to?

Dont compare yourself to guys...they always loose easier and faster than we do....nature wants women to retain their weight.

How much cream are you using? I think, if I remember right, the initial book said we can only have 1 ounce.

I also make sure that my cheese and cream combined dont go over 3 ounces.

Are your calories low? If they are too low your body will fight tooth and nail to keep the weight and what weight it looses will be more of muscle.

How many total net carbs are you eating? I will be 49 this year and I have had to cut my net carbs back, and I also dont loose like I have in the past...I think age has a lot to do with that.

One other thought...I know that when eating carbs, the body will burn those first, and any excess carbs that arent used for fuel are stored as fat. I suspect, but dont know for sure, that the same applies to fat. We have replaced carbs with fat as the fuel our bodies burn. I think if we eat more fat than our bodies need for fuel, that perhaps it will store that as fat. And I think that perhaps each individual is unique in how much fat our bodies need. It *might* be...again, I dont know for sure...but it might be that you need to cut a bit of fat our of your diet? Might be worth a try to see if it budges the scale.

And one last thought...what kind of scale are you using? If it is digital, you might try replacing the battery. Are your measurements moving at all?

Thats all I can think of at the moment. Im sorry you are having such trouble this time around.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:24 AM   #314
Senior LCF Member

WOE: Atkins/ lots of veggies
Start Date: 1/2/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendaH View Post
I am dissapointed that no ones replied about candida overload... Does that mean no one has heard of it????
I don't know very much about candida overload, but i did have a friend who suffered with it. If I remember correctly, this WOE was recommended to help. I also think I read coconut oil was something that helped. i know its not much but may be worth looking into.
leaving30something is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:57 AM   #315
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Social11
PLEASE HELP ME!!

This is my first post. I have done Atkins Induction many times in my life and have had great results. In the past I was always a smoker (and no longer am - for the past 3 years)...and of course I was younger. I'm on the same medications that I was last time I was on Atkins Induction so I can't blame them. I'm 40, 5'8" and weigh 178. I have been on induction for 8 days now. My ketostrips have been at trace or small since 48 hours after I started and continue to be in trace or small every time I test. I have not lost a single pound. In the past when I have done induction I had no problem dropping 13-15 lbs in the first 2 weeks. I'm officially concerned.

I'm heavier now than I ever have been. I have been stuck at this weight for about 1.3 years. Before that I was 10-15 lbs lighter. My thyroid has been checked and is fine.

The first week I was trying to keep between 1500-1800 cals since it says to make sure your cals are up so your body doesn't go into starvation mode. Starting yesterday I decided I'm going to try to stay between 1200 - 1500 cals.

Current meal plan: I drink only water or seltzer between 80 & 120oz/day. I eat eggs (3-7/day), meat (chicken, beef or pork) at lunch and dinner and for snacks, 3 cups of salad (either cabbage or spinach) daily, and 3-4 oz. of either cheddar cheese or parmasian cheese daily (since they are lowest in carbs). I was using a lot of mayo (no sugar) and a decent amount of oils for the first week but I'm thinking that may be part of my problem. I was using them to boost my calorie intake and to meet the 60-65% of daily intake of fats.

I use no cream. I use a little bit of sour cream but never more than a serving in one day. Iím not eating any processed meats. Iím checking the carbs on everything and counting all of the net carbs.
I did take one dose Miralax (for constipation) on the 3rd day of induction but it is 17g of fiber and no additional carbs.

I am not a cheaterÖ.so I have not, nor will I cheat. Iíve learned in the past on Atkins that cheating ruins everything I have been working toward so I am committed.

My appetite has reduced, as have my sugar and carb cravings. I also have more energy and am sleeping better. This is not enough reason though, for me, to stay on this diet if Iím not going to lose weight or inches.

Please give me any advice that you may have for me as I am frustrated. I have not lost any inches either. I will continue induction for the next 2 weeks but if there is no weight loss or inch lossÖI will consider going off of this diet onto a lo-cal diet.

Thanks for any feedback and suggestions ahead of time!

-Deb
Social11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:42 AM   #316
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: glendabuffy
Stats: 180
WOE: None
Start Date: January 2012
Well, from what I have read on this forum - I'd say this is a good fit for me! I have been on and off low-carb diets for about a year now (along with my hubby) and while I have lost (and re-gained at times) inches, I have not lost any real appreciable weight (maybe 8-10 lbs total on and off and on again). I am on anti-depressants and high blood-pressure medications and due to bone degeneration in my feet, don't exercise as much as I should. I am also of a Certain Age (menopausal) and have been for over 10 years, which may contribute to a slowing down of my metabolism.

Reading all these posts has given me hope. I am not alone and I can lose both the inches and the weight - it will just take more time, determination and commitment. I cannot thank everyone enough for sharing both their struggles and their triumphs. I'll keep trying, because you have shown me it can be done.
Thank you, thank you!!
glendabuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:26 PM   #317
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Social11 View Post
This is my first post. I have done Atkins Induction many times in my life and have had great results. In the past I was always a smoker (and no longer am - for the past 3 years)...and of course I was younger. I'm on the same medications that I was last time I was on Atkins Induction so I can't blame them. I'm 40, 5'8" and weigh 178. I have been on induction for 8 days now. My ketostrips have been at trace or small since 48 hours after I started and continue to be in trace or small every time I test. I have not lost a single pound. In the past when I have done induction I had no problem dropping 13-15 lbs in the first 2 weeks. I'm officially concerned.

I'm heavier now than I ever have been. I have been stuck at this weight for about 1.3 years. Before that I was 10-15 lbs lighter. My thyroid has been checked and is fine.

The first week I was trying to keep between 1500-1800 cals since it says to make sure your cals are up so your body doesn't go into starvation mode. Starting yesterday I decided I'm going to try to stay between 1200 - 1500 cals.

Current meal plan: I drink only water or seltzer between 80 & 120oz/day. I eat eggs (3-7/day), meat (chicken, beef or pork) at lunch and dinner and for snacks, 3 cups of salad (either cabbage or spinach) daily, and 3-4 oz. of either cheddar cheese or parmasian cheese daily (since they are lowest in carbs). I was using a lot of mayo (no sugar) and a decent amount of oils for the first week but I'm thinking that may be part of my problem. I was using them to boost my calorie intake and to meet the 60-65% of daily intake of fats.

I use no cream. I use a little bit of sour cream but never more than a serving in one day. Iím not eating any processed meats. Iím checking the carbs on everything and counting all of the net carbs.
I did take one dose Miralax (for constipation) on the 3rd day of induction but it is 17g of fiber and no additional carbs.

I am not a cheaterÖ.so I have not, nor will I cheat. Iíve learned in the past on Atkins that cheating ruins everything I have been working toward so I am committed.

My appetite has reduced, as have my sugar and carb cravings. I also have more energy and am sleeping better. This is not enough reason though, for me, to stay on this diet if Iím not going to lose weight or inches.

Please give me any advice that you may have for me as I am frustrated. I have not lost any inches either. I will continue induction for the next 2 weeks but if there is no weight loss or inch lossÖI will consider going off of this diet onto a lo-cal diet.

Thanks for any feedback and suggestions ahead of time!

-Deb
Hi Deb -

Im sorry you are having such trouble.

I have found that it is more difficult for me to loose this time around that it has been in the past.

You may be eating too many calories. I am 6 feet and 48 years old. I have to keep my calories below 1500..usually around 1200 or less and my usual intake is 1000-1200. So unless you are very active you may be simply eating too many calories. You will burn fewer calories simply by virtue of being smaller and lighter. So if you are 5'8" you may be getting too much. I use an online service that is free to track my calories, food, activities etc. It allows me to edit foods so that I can have the net carbs show up. It shows me at a glance what my calories, fat, and carb percentages is, and what roughly how many calories I burn a day. I am burning 2500-2800, and my losses are 1.5-2.2 per week, so not big losses, but steady.

What I have found works for me, is to keep my calories low...my fat content at below 60% and my carbs at 5% or below.

If I eat too much fat, I stall...I believe because my body will use what I eat before it uses what is stored. Too many calories will also cause me to gain or at least stall. Looking at what you are eating you may also be getting more fat than what you burn. Eggs are pretty high in fat..which surprised me.

Also, Cheese needs to be kept at 3 oz or less per day. I do use cream but I keep my combined intake of cheese and cream to 3 oz per day. I know you said you dont use cream, but you do need to add your sour cream to this.

I hope this helps.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:31 PM   #318
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glendabuffy View Post
Well, from what I have read on this forum - I'd say this is a good fit for me! I have been on and off low-carb diets for about a year now (along with my hubby) and while I have lost (and re-gained at times) inches, I have not lost any real appreciable weight (maybe 8-10 lbs total on and off and on again). I am on anti-depressants and high blood-pressure medications and due to bone degeneration in my feet, don't exercise as much as I should. I am also of a Certain Age (menopausal) and have been for over 10 years, which may contribute to a slowing down of my metabolism.

Reading all these posts has given me hope. I am not alone and I can lose both the inches and the weight - it will just take more time, determination and commitment. I cannot thank everyone enough for sharing both their struggles and their triumphs. I'll keep trying, because you have shown me it can be done.
Thank you, thank you!!
Welcome Glenda!

I abhor exercise. lol I have trouble getting much if any done.

But if you want to exercise, perhaps you could try something in water? Swimming or aquatic exercises of some kind? Perhaps you could also look into some of the exercises they have for people in wheel chairs. You might also be able to go to a gym and see if they have things that can be adapted to you specifically. Im sure that they could work something out that would work for you.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:37 PM   #319
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
It's taken me longer to start losing this time . I am measuring loss by feel of my clothes not the scale and after 3+weeks my clothes are looser. You said your egg range was 3 - 7 . . . if it's more often close to the 7 I wonder if this might be a problem. That said, you diet looks good to me. I'd just encourage patience, athough it's a challenge given that many of us lost faster on our earlier low carb attempts.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:58 PM   #320
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: johnonhongnong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackieblu View Post
Topazz: Thanks for the info. It's helpful to reread the Aitkins info as a reminder.

I've been on induction for just over 3 weeks. I'm doing fairly well. Dropped 10 lbs as of yesterday.

For the last two days I've been battling leg cramps. I've starting taking postassium as of yesterday because that seems to keep the cramps away.

How is everyone else doing? I hope it's been good for all.

Have a great day and hang in there!
Try potassium. It often is to blame instead of low potassium. Symptoms of magnesium deficiency include: hyperexcitability, dizziness, muscle cramps, muscle weakness and fatigue. 400mg 2x daily (one in AM and one in PM)
johnonhongnong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:07 PM   #321
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: johnonhongnong
DRINK YOUR WATER! Water is the answer! To make sure you get enough water in, divide what you weigh in half and that number is how many ounces you need to drink minimum for the day. It's not going to hurt you to drink 100% of your body weight. Your kidneys can tolerate up to four gallons in a day, however, make sure you don't drink too fast or you will flush your electrolytes, sodium, etc out of range and end up sick... I drink 256oz daily (2-gallons).

Also, make sure you are getting enough protein in for your workout levels. You need 1.2g per 1kg of body weight. To figure this up, convert your weight from pounds to kg by dividing your weight by 2.2. Now, take that number and multiply it by 1.2kg. This is the number of protein grams you need to consume daily. There are roughly 7 grams of protein in every 1 oz of cooked meat.

Keep in mind that it takes 150 minutes of moderate physical exercise each week to maintain your weight, so you're going to have to invest about 300 minutes each 275 to 300 minutes each week (45 - 60 mins) per day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendaH View Post
I have been on induction for 3 weeks and have not noticed any weight dropping. My clothes are not as tight but I really thought I would have lost at lease 5 or so pounds... I am 5ft 4in and weight 148lb... I dont drink alot of water but I am trying. I do drink a lot of green tea... I am exercising although not as much as I usually do. I've only gotten in a couple days of weight lifting and a little cardio, but not much to speak of...
I do believe I have what the Adkins book talks about yeat overload... I am going to a nutritionalist next week....
Any suggestions? There is no way I can cut out as much as your suppose to with the yeast overload so I hope this nutritionalist can help me....
I'm suppose to do a yeast free, sugar free, vinager free... Very impossible for me for the vinager free... I've been doing very well with the yeast free and sugar free!
johnonhongnong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:44 AM   #322
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: hairmuch
Stats: 188/188/155
Start Date: October 22, 2013
their are not cheat days on Atkins induction. That will throw everything off. You cannot cheat because your body will burn carbs and not fat. + if you don't cheat your cravings WILL go away
hairmuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 02:10 PM   #323
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tiggy
Stats: 84.6kg/76.8kg/60kg
Start Date: 3 March 2013
Coffeebean,
I don't know if this will help or not, but have you looked at your thyroid? There is a Dr Lowe who wrote several articles the fibromyalgia is actually symptoms of a sick thyroid. I too was diagnosed with fibromyalgia, and now after 1.5yrs of being on dessicated thyroid tablets, my fib symptoms have almost disappeared. He wrote a huge book - its on Amazon and is about 1000 pages and written in medical jargon but its worth researching and maybe taking a couple of his shorter articles to your doctor. I'm on double the dose of meds compared to people who are being treated solely for hypo because my bodynrequires more to repair the damage which showed up as fib.

Your meds could interfere with how your body burns fuel and digests food so they could be contributing. I found once I eliminated carbs, my acid reflux went away - do you still definitely need it?

Looking at your meal plan, I think you could probably use more fat in the mix. Add a couple tablespoons of coconut oil, an avocado or extra olive oil or butter with your meals. Ideally, fat should comprise 70-80% of your diet. If it doesn't, your body will still need carbs to run and so will convert some of the protein into glucose to cope with the insufficient fat fuel. Inflammation will also make your body hang onto water weight. But from your posted meals, I don't see anywhere enough fat to reduce the strain on your kidneys.

Lastly, you definitely need more water - whether that be as tea, plain water, flavoured with lemon or anything that can get you drinking, it doesn't matter (as long as its carb free).

Last option - give the Atkins fat fast a go. Three to five days eating either macadamia nuts or cream cheese, limited to 1000 calories. I found the options horrible but found loads of other great fat fast options from people on the boards like pecans fried in butter, coffee with whipping cream, tuna mayo, pure coconut oil.
Tiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 03:03 AM   #324
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cggirl83
I'm at a stall too. I think mine is caused from pms, but my ketostix show dark purple which is confusing.
cggirl83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:39 AM   #325
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tiggy
Stats: 84.6kg/76.8kg/60kg
Start Date: 3 March 2013
Hi CGG! Oh god how I hate that TOM!!! Kilos magically appear then take a week to disappear...
Tiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:36 AM   #326
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: margn
Stats: 186.8/153.4/140
Start Date: June 29,2013
Quote:
Hello

I am on Week 4 and still have zero weight loss. I lose 2 lbs and gain it back. And I am sure this is just water still.

I am very strictly following induction. My boyfriend has lost 12 lbs.

I am 49 years old. Weight 206lbs. 5 foot 6
I take one medication for acid reflux that I researched and the carbs and very very low. .000 something.

Breakfast:
2 scrambled eggs
2 bacon
1 coffee with heavy cream

Lunch:
Hardboiled egg
Water

Dinner:
Portion of either chicken, beef or pork
2 cups of lettuce with zero carb dressing
1 cup of either brocolli or cauliflower cooked with a little butter on

Snack:
Only sometimes do I have a snack of 1 oz of cheese or a few pork rinds.

Drinking moderate amounts of water
Sometimes a Sparking ICE drink but never every day.

Do not sit most all day although I do not exercise vigorisly. I have fibromyalgia and that limits my exercise but like I said I do not sit around or lay around all day.

Can anyone offer an help here? I did this diet in 2004 and lost 45 lbs. And lost a good bit in the beginning. Like I said my boyfriend eating the same thing I am has lost 12lbs. He is 65 and sits all day for work in the office.

My ketone sticks had been very dark purple for 3 weeks with no loss.
Now they are light pink. Nothing has changed in what I was doing.

Please help as I am getting frustrated and worried. I need to lose some weight.

Thank you.

You might be resistant. Have you had your Thyroid checked? If all that is OK, then ....

I am only seeing a couple of thing that seemed to stall me. Onions, atkins Bar or shakes, diet soda, and Dairy. Not enough water.

I had a 4 month stall and was ready to pull all my hair out from frustration. This is what I did. Maybe it will help you.

I eat mainly 5-6 carbs a day & minimum of 80 oz of water a day. AND DO NOT COUNT CALORIES... I made that mistake. Atkins is counting carbs. Not calories.

BF= meat & eggs
Lunch= Meat- 2 hb eggs & pork skins
Dinner= Meat & veggie or salad, never both

I omited all caffine, sodas, & dairy and Atkins bars & shakes. Also note that some medications do cause a slower weight loss.
It worked and broke the stall.And I am able to eat as much as I need to feel full and stay under 5-6 carbs a day.

Good luck

Last edited by margn; 11-11-2013 at 09:44 AM..
margn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:30 AM   #327
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: darcie
Big loss wk1 none since

I just started about 3 weeks ago eating low carb. I lost 9 lbs in the first week. I have been extremely faithful following the plan and even started exercising. I get my water in too. I have not lost any since that first wk. I am wondering if I am doing something wrong now. Trying not to get frustrated since I have about 75# to lose. Has anyone else experienced this? I am going to stick with it but would like to lose at least a little? Thanks for any advice.
darcie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 04:09 PM   #328
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Julie1972
Stats: 220/186/160
Start Date: 1/1/2013
Hey Darcie! Welcome! It's normal for weight loss to slow down after the first week, especially after a dramatic drop like 9 lbs! Stick with the plan and it will work! You just have to give it some time. Come join us in the January challenge. It's a great thread to share your success and struggles! Also has a lot of really knowledgable folks who can help with any questions you may have.
Julie1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 11:10 AM   #329
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Trismama
Stats: 235/207/160
WOE: Atkins-Induction
Start Date: January 6, 2014
The first time I did atkins, I slowed down by my second week. I was barely losing. I was told to eat carbs on one day then go back on induction. It worked, but I don't try to make a habit of doing that. I hear it can mess you up. IDK really
Trismama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 01:08 PM   #330
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nimuae
Stats: 296/190.0/165
WOE: Atkins -currently Atkins 72 Induction week 1
Start Date: Restart - 01/24/14
Quote:
I am on Day 7 of Induction and no weight loss or inches lost. I know this may be common however I am also concerned if I am doing something wrong? I did the Atkins diet about 10 years ago and it worked great in the beginning and all in all lost 45 pounds.

My typical diet consists of:

Breakfast: 2 scrambled eggs with bacon or redpepper and onion
1 cup of regular coffee with 1/2 and 1/2

AM Snack: cheese

Lunch: small portion of meat (chicken, beef) and hardboiled egg

Dinner: Portion of meat (chicken, beef, tuna) 2 cups of lettuce with zero
carb dressing that has no sugar in, 1 cup cauliflower or brocolli

PM Snack: Sometimes Atkins bar (I don't do these every night)
or Cheese or a few pork rinds

I drink about 6 glasses of water a day

A couple times a week I have a Pepsi One(that has splenda in it)

What could or should I do differently? I do have a bad taste in my mouth and a sweet taste as well so I believe I have ketosis going on.

Any suggestions? Just concerned why have not lost.

I also take no meds.

Thanks so much,
Cindy
Try cutting out the zero carb dressing and stick with olive oil and vinegar or lemon juice. I would also lose the cheese and those blasted bars. I know of very few people that actually make headway on those bars or candy substitutes.... It is hard not having a sweet treat once in a while, BUT, if you muscle through it for 3 or 4 days w/o you will find your sensitivity to sweetness is super developed, and you will not crave it anymore... I can taste sweet in the weirdest places now, even certain cheeses...

Bottom line, take it down to the bare bones induction foods, and once you have progress, add back in the cheese and see if it changes anything... if you still have progress, add back in something else and see what happens. everyone is different, you will find what works for you. Make sure that you get enough calories. Look up induction foods for Atkins 72, and good luck.

God gives the best to those who leave the choice to him.

March Goals:
Walking / 85 mi / 92

April Goals:
Walking / 95 mi
Nimuae is offline   Reply With Quote