Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2006, 08:11 PM   #1

Gallery: Topazz
Induction Week One...Stalled or gaining??

[COLOR=Purple]Week One of Induction.....taking a realistic look at weight loss.

I wish I could say it's easy. But it's not ... not for me. Not everyone will lose huge amounts of weight on this eating plan. But that does not mean those that do not, are failing. It doesn't mean that we are doomed to be overweight forever either.

I found this information posted below both comforting and reassuring, especially since I actually gained 4 pounds during the first few days of induction.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Exerpts From "The Atkins Essentials" book:
Although each individual is different, weight loss of 4 to 8 pounds is typical the first two weeks of Induction if the program is followed to the letter. Some people lose even more, others less.

But understand there is no magic number. You may be a fast loser or a maddeningly slow loser. But rest assured that after the first 4 or 5 days, you've lost all the water weight you are going to lose. From now on, every ounce-and every inch- that comes off is solely fat!

If you get on the scale and notice that you are not losing by your fourth of fifth day, measure yourself to check if inches are coming off. If inches also are not disappearing, you need to get moving and exercise more. You should also make sure that you are consuming plenty of natural fat and not overconsuming protein. Protein is crucial for feeding your body, but if you eat huge amounts of protein it can actually get in the way of fat burning and stall weight loss.

While you can comsume more calories on Atkins and lose more weight than on a low fat program, it is possible to overconsume calories or to eat too little and slow down your metabolism. That is why it is important to eat at least 3 meals daily.

(Still not losing? Metabolic resistance ...can be broken through with the Fat Fast, info to be posted separately)

Whether it was easy or hard, whether you lost 2 pounds or 8, you made it through your first week. Take a moment and pat yourself on the back. Stay focused and stick to your plan.

Week Two..... to be posted separately[/COLOR]

Last edited by Topazz; 02-27-2006 at 08:37 PM..
Topazz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2006, 12:06 PM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: themanda
Stats: 155/135
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: 2/23/2006
" You may be a fast loser or a maddeningly slow loser. But rest assured that after the first 4 or 5 days, you've lost all the water weight you are going to lose. From now on, every ounce-and every inch- that comes off is solely fat!"

Thanks that is good to know!
themanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 05:03 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Abramsmom
Stats: 202/187/140
WOE: Adkins
Start Date: 2-20-06
That makes me feel good. I thought that the 11 lbs I've lost in two weeks was probably all water.
Abramsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 12:25 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AntiCarber
Stats: 301/252.6/150
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: Restart 2-22-06
Come of FAT...get off my body!! lol
AntiCarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 10:01 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Location: Trinidad, West Indies, for those who don't know....it's a tiny island in the Caribbean.
Gallery: Thicky
Stats: 243/232/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: March 2006
During the first 2 weeks I lost a total of 10lbs, but now I seemed to be stuck there.
Thicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 05:41 PM   #6
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Maggy
Stats: 158/123/125 height 5'5
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 3/05
Give your body time to catch up!!!
Maggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 11:55 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ecstacyrain
Stats: 298/287/200
Start Date: August 18, 2006
I lost 30lbs in 3 weeks, and then stalled. But, I was losing inches still so I kept going. Finally after a week and a half I am back to losing something on the scale again.
ecstacyrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 03:42 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: basilbean
Stats: 220/210/130
WOE: atkins
Start Date: may 2006
[COLOR=Navy]hi all. im new here i just started atkins going on my 3rd day. i hope to meet alot of people and support along the way[/COLOR] 30 pounds in 3 weeks! wow good job

Last edited by basilbean; 05-21-2006 at 03:44 AM..
basilbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 07:06 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: adrianahk
Stats: 140/135/105
WOE: Atkins.Kimkins
Start Date: 5.1.06 Kinims 10.12.
Scale not moving neither my clothes

Hello all,

I am really sad,,, on Saturday April 29th and Sunday 30th I did a cleanse and decided to start Atkins on Monday May 1st. Today is May 21st and after 20 days my scale is not moving not even a lb. my clothes are not loose and I am losing hope.

I had a complete physical and my doctor said I should loose some weight it would help me with the back pain I have been experiencing. I have been watching not just the carbs with ****** but also the calories and NOTHING, the scale is not moving. I tried a fat fast for two days and it worked, I am in ketosis, after that I have been eating 20 or under 20 gr of carbs a day, but I cnnot understand why I am not losing.

It was my understanding that if I was in ketosis I would be losing even a lb a week,, but nothing,,, this is really disencourging,,, specially when I see other people eating pasta and drinking wine,,, and me on steak and water,,,,can someone help me with this,,, I am ready to quit!!!

My normal weight was 105-110.... due to lots of stress and complication, now I am 140, I am 5 feet tall,,, this is really difficult,, I know lots of people here have over 100 lbs to loose,,, but for me this is as hard,,, nothing fits me, and I have to do something about it.

Please help. Why I am not losing if I am on deep ketosis?

Adriana
adrianahk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 07:25 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SaraS
Stats: 206/163/140
Start Date: Restart: 05-09-06
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianahk
Hello all,

I am really sad,,, on Saturday April 29th and Sunday 30th I did a cleanse and decided to start Atkins on Monday May 1st. Today is May 21st and after 20 days my scale is not moving not even a lb. my clothes are not loose and I am losing hope.

I had a complete physical and my doctor said I should loose some weight it would help me with the back pain I have been experiencing. I have been watching not just the carbs with ****** but also the calories and NOTHING, the scale is not moving. I tried a fat fast for two days and it worked, I am in ketosis, after that I have been eating 20 or under 20 gr of carbs a day, but I cnnot understand why I am not losing.

It was my understanding that if I was in ketosis I would be losing even a lb a week,, but nothing,,, this is really disencourging,,, specially when I see other people eating pasta and drinking wine,,, and me on steak and water,,,,can someone help me with this,,, I am ready to quit!!!

My normal weight was 105-110.... due to lots of stress and complication, now I am 140, I am 5 feet tall,,, this is really difficult,, I know lots of people here have over 100 lbs to loose,,, but for me this is as hard,,, nothing fits me, and I have to do something about it.

Please help. Why I am not losing if I am on deep ketosis?

Adriana

If you post a normal menu of what you have been eating for a few days, maybe we can find something.
SaraS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 06:29 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: adrianahk
Stats: 140/135/105
WOE: Atkins.Kimkins
Start Date: 5.1.06 Kinims 10.12.
MENU

According to ******,, today I had 1,508 calories broken down as follows:
Fat 804 cals, with 89 grms of fat for 55% of my meals
Carb 23 cals, with 7 grms of carb for 2% of my meals
Protein 636 cals, 159 grms of Protein foe 43% of my meals

2 Large boiled eggs Breakfast
1 cup of chicken salad lunch
16oz. steak dinner
1 cup ceasar salad

Every day for the last 22 I have been doing the same more or less, changing the chicken salad for beef salad on a bed of lettuce and the odd restaurant meal like a roast beef or avocado salad. For snacks between meals I have some black olives, or 2-4 slices of lean proscuito or lean hot calabrese salami.

One day I did the fat fast ,,,, 2 oz. high fat 6 times a day to get in deep ketosis,,,I did get in deep red ketosis and continue with a count of 20 and under grams of carb a day,,,,so I donīt get if I am in ketosis,,, why am I not losing? ONE LOUSY lb that is all.

I walk every day, I drink so much water that I donīt feel hungry always full with so much water in my stomach.

If I am in ketosis,,,,doesnīt that means I am using fat for fuel? Should I been losing at least couple of lbs in 22 days?

Thnk you for any input.

Adriana
adrianahk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 06:42 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: koreanbeauty1975
i havent lost anything but one lousy pound and a half... and my scale says i gained 1 percent body fat i too am in ketosis and have been. I am getting frustrated!!!
koreanbeauty1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 07:17 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianahk
According to ******,, today I had 1,508 calories broken down as follows:
Fat 804 cals, with 89 grms of fat for 55% of my meals
Carb 23 cals, with 7 grms of carb for 2% of my meals
Protein 636 cals, 159 grms of Protein foe 43% of my meals

2 Large boiled eggs Breakfast
1 cup of chicken salad lunch
16oz. steak dinner
1 cup ceasar salad

Every day for the last 22 I have been doing the same more or less, changing the chicken salad for beef salad on a bed of lettuce and the odd restaurant meal like a roast beef or avocado salad. For snacks between meals I have some black olives, or 2-4 slices of lean proscuito or lean hot calabrese salami.

One day I did the fat fast ,,,, 2 oz. high fat 6 times a day to get in deep ketosis,,,I did get in deep red ketosis and continue with a count of 20 and under grams of carb a day,,,,so I donīt get if I am in ketosis,,, why am I not losing? ONE LOUSY lb that is all.

I walk every day, I drink so much water that I donīt feel hungry always full with so much water in my stomach.

If I am in ketosis,,,,doesnīt that means I am using fat for fuel? Should I been losing at least couple of lbs in 22 days?

Thnk you for any input.

Adriana
Honestly, I would add more veggies. Also, when using ******, see if you can get your percentages to look more like this: 60-70%fat, 20-30% protein and 5% carbs. I stick to these percentages for induction and I am losing regularly. The last time I did Atkins, I also used these percentages and lost 14 pounds in 2 weeks and 40 pounds from June to Septermber. I have spoken to several people on different websites that also recommend this. Later on during the plan, it is advised to change the percentages (can't remember right now what they are).

Also, just to check for other problems: are you using the full fat versions of stuff like salad dressing or mayo or butter (full fat version is recommended during induction)? Are you using any of the low carb products (stall some people during induction)? Are you adding things that are not on the induction list? Any medical issues? Are you taking any meds?

Last edited by SaraS; 05-22-2006 at 07:20 PM..
Old 05-22-2006, 07:18 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by koreanbeauty1975
i havent lost anything but one lousy pound and a half... and my scale says i gained 1 percent body fat i too am in ketosis and have been. I am getting frustrated!!!
Post a menu
Old 05-22-2006, 07:34 PM   #15
Junior LCF Member

breakfast 2 eggs,coffee and cream with splenda
lunch,grilled chicken with rotel with queso,
dinner hamburger no bun of course with lettuce,swiss ,avocado and mayo
snack sugar free jello
Old 05-22-2006, 07:44 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Similar to the other poster's menu, I would up the veggies and check your percentages of your menu in ****** (60-70% carbs, 20-30% protein and 5% carbs). Find out also how many calories you are consuming. You don't have to worry about calories (unless, of course, you were just consuming a massive amount of them which from this menu indicates you are not). Make sure you are not too low on calories.

Is rotel a brand of tomato that is sold in a can? If so, you might want to check it for sugars. During induction, if I am using something that is packaged (although on the induction list), I try not to use something that has more than 2% of the carbs from sugar.

You might want to consider looking at the sugar free jello. It is not necessarily a problem, but some people are sensitive to it and it stalls them.

I would also look at some of the additional questions I asked at the end of the last post for Adriana.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:25 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: autotheism
Start Date: January 1997
Hi,

I have been where you are - in deep purple ketosis and not losing any weight, or inches or anything! I have been on Atkins for almost 10 years but after 7 years of successful LCing, I went on birthcontrol. After 2 years of birthcontrol pills, my body seemed to have developed an insulin resistance. I started gaining weight even when I was in ketosis! (No matter how much I went to the gym!) It was very frustrating. I got off of the birthcontrol and went back to Induction Phase. It took a long time but eventually my body began to get back to normal.

I noticed that you mentioned avacodos as part of your diet. I notice that for me, nuts, avacoados and artificial sweetners stalled my weightloss after the insulin resistance developed. I have cut those out and find that the weight is coming off slowly but surely.

Don't cut out all carbs though. Salads, asparagus and mixed berries seem to make me lose faster than when I don't eat any at all. Responses to food can be highly individual - even on LC diets. If there are "legal" foods that just don't work for you, cut them out - at least for a while.

I hope that this helped a little. Good luck.
autotheism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 08:56 PM   #18
Junior LCF Member

ill take note on thses comments thanks
Old 05-23-2006, 04:14 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by koreanbeauty1975
ill take note on thses comments thanks
Note: typo on the percentages I put in your post. It should be 60-70% fats, 20-30% protein and 5% carbs.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:01 AM   #20
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CharlieGirl
ketosis without weight loss? Don't dispair!

I have just recently rejoined these boards after almost four years away. I did Atkins before and lost twenty pounds. (I am post-menopausal and an extremely slow loser)

I have plenty of sympathy for those of you in ketosis who are not seeing a pay-off on the scale because I have been in that situation myself. But realize that this doesn't mean you are not losing fat! One of the oddities of Atkins is that sometimes when you are losing fat, your body thinks it will keep those fat cells at the ready by filling them with water. If you look around on these boards, I'm sure you will find many references to this phenomena. Anyway, maybe my experience will help you:

I went on Atkins for the first time about four years ago. It was June 1st. I lost about four pounds in the first week of ketosis; second week two pounds; then ... nothing!
Week after week I had the bad breath and metallic taste in my mouth so I knew I was in ketosis, but the scale stayed the same. The only thing that kept me on Atkins was inertia --- I had lost most of my appetite, which was nice, and the diet was actually easier for me than my normal way of eating, as far as food prep.

Still, for two months, no weight loss, not an ounce. Then, when I had given up hope and was not even weighing my self regularly (too depressing), I suddenly lost 10 pounds! No one loses 10 pounds of fat in one week unless they are starv-ing. "Something" strange happened. The next week I lost six pounds.

When I say I lost this weight I don't mean that it came off a little at a time through the week; it was one day there and the next day gone. Since that time I have had many people tell me of similar experiences. I hope you will stick to it and stay on the diet. Think of it as an experiment in this very (in my opinion) weird way of losing weight.
CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 06:18 AM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tippy Toes
Stats: 263/150/150 to 155
Start Date: April 16 2004
Adriana and the others not losing:

My thoughts are to switch to some lower fat stuff like Mayo, lite sour cream, fat free Italian Dressing instead of olive oil, fat free low carb salad dressings and maybe a trans free fat free butter sub. I know Atkins says fats fats fats and not to use low fat products but I think he was concerned with sugar added... They make lots of low fat stuff now without sugar. I too am peri-menopausal and a slow loser. After a year I stalled totally for 6 months. I too resorted to the fat fast for a few days at a time, then maintained it on induction. Then I read a thread here under other plans about ******* or K/E and I saw folks losing pretty good and this is what they basically did. I started using the less fat products, skipped bacon and sausage and had lean ham or pork chop instead. PRESTO! I am now 15 lbs lighter than the bathing suit pic! I would NOT up veggies without cutting fats back... Sometimes calories do matter...Adding veggies back is part of moving UP the carb ladder which is to replace fats...And is recommended to do when you are losing.
Tippy Toes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 08:10 AM   #22
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: gettenthere
Stats: 316/160/180/201/180
Start Date: January 31st, 2003
Tippy nicely said and proof it works too you amazing girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
gettenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 08:24 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sofree
Start Date: Recommitted 6-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippy Toes
Adriana and the others not losing:

My thoughts are to switch to some lower fat stuff like Mayo, lite sour cream, fat free Italian Dressing instead of olive oil, fat free low carb salad dressings and maybe a trans free fat free butter sub. I know Atkins says fats fats fats and not to use low fat products but I think he was concerned with sugar added... They make lots of low fat stuff now without sugar. I too am peri-menopausal and a slow loser. After a year I stalled totally for 6 months. I too resorted to the fat fast for a few days at a time, then maintained it on induction. Then I read a thread here under other plans about ******* or K/E and I saw folks losing pretty good and this is what they basically did. I started using the less fat products, skipped bacon and sausage and had lean ham or pork chop instead. PRESTO! I am now 15 lbs lighter than the bathing suit pic! I would NOT up veggies without cutting fats back... Sometimes calories do matter...Adding veggies back is part of moving UP the carb ladder which is to replace fats...And is recommended to do when you are losing.
Thanks for this advise......I am not losing.....So this has helped me.
sofree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 01:35 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Madeleine
Stats: Start weight 149/Current 137/Goal 125
WOE: WOE Atkins
Start Date: August 6, 2006
This is a great thread.

I had done the Atkins before and during induction I had a little trouble getting into ketosis, but once I did, I stayed in it. I only wanted to lose 8 pounds. In the first 2 weeks, I lost 4 of them, which is about what the book said I would. It was winter time, so I didn't get much exercise.

That was 6 years ago, and since that time I have completed menopause. In addition, I fell in love and got married, and voila, I gained weight.

I have been exercising regularly for 3 months now, and lost an inch and a half, but wanted to accelerate my weight loss. I started induction 5 days ago. I was in ketosis by the second day. But, I can tell that I'm not losing anything.

It's been good to read the experience of others, so I don't worry about it. I'll keep plugging away.

I can report, though, that when I first did Atkins, I ate a lot. By the 5th day this time, I'm not hungry, nor do I have an appetite anymore. So I'm wondering if there is an optimum amount of food one should eat. In other words, can you eat too little?

As an aside, the first time I did Atkins, drinking coffee would take me out of ketosis (according to sticks). This time drinking coffee hasn't had that affect. In fact, I went off coffee the last two days (with no problems), and last night my ketostick tested negative for ketosis. Go figure.
Madeleine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 12:36 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Yavon
Stats: 202/202/140
Start Date: Restart November 12,2006
I don't know if anyone will read this. But this information is a life saver for me. I did Atkins three years ago and lost 25lbs. 10lbs the first week of inducation. I have started back on Atkins after have a baby. And I lost 5lbs the first three days and then I stalled from there. I have been on Atkins now for two weeks in I am in ketosis light ketosis not dark purple. But I haven't lost anymore weight. I was getting the mind to give up but then I saw these old threads. They helped me a lot and I hope to stay in here for the long haul to see the end. I want to lose weight and be happy with my body. I know I need to start exercising and eat less carbs, but it seems to be hard when you just don't have the money you need to get the food. I will continue on to success. Thanks for sharing you all thoughts they truly helped me not to give up.
Yavon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 08:58 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sofree
Start Date: Recommitted 6-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yavon
I don't know if anyone will read this. But this information is a life saver for me. I did Atkins three years ago and lost 25lbs. 10lbs the first week of inducation. I have started back on Atkins after have a baby. And I lost 5lbs the first three days and then I stalled from there. I have been on Atkins now for two weeks in I am in ketosis light ketosis not dark purple. But I haven't lost anymore weight. I was getting the mind to give up but then I saw these old threads. They helped me a lot and I hope to stay in here for the long haul to see the end. I want to lose weight and be happy with my body. I know I need to start exercising and eat less carbs, but it seems to be hard when you just don't have the money you need to get the food. I will continue on to success. Thanks for sharing you all thoughts they truly helped me not to give up.
This old thread helped me too....I was just like so many of the posters......I was ready to give up...My scale still does not show very much, but I am losing big time..everyone notices it....It is strange....I feel lots better as well...
sofree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 06:38 AM   #27
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: softballer
Stats: 306/240/160
I am with you all! I started strict Atkins again and am wanting to see that scale move! I gave up caffeine and aspartame in hopes that will speed up the process a bit. This is my 4th day and feeling no headache. All of your threads really help me and make me realize that I am not alone. I seem to be having trouble locating the ketosis strips. Have been to GNC, Rite-Aid, Walgreens & Walmart. Any suggestions? Thanks for all the support that you bring to this forum! It is great to know that I am not alone in the struggle and in the success! THANK YOU!
softballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 03:05 PM   #28
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lenz4455
Stats: 200/180/173/165/160/158
Start Date: October 10, 2006
Good Advice

I feel better knowing that I am doing all the right things even though I am not losing any weight yet in my second week. I will just keep plugging away!
lenz4455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 03:31 PM   #29

Gallery: Topazz
Quote:
Originally Posted by softballer View Post
I seem to be having trouble locating the ketosis strips. Have been to GNC, Rite-Aid, Walgreens & Walmart. Any suggestions? Thanks for all the support that you bring to this forum! It is great to know that I am not alone in the struggle and in the success! THANK YOU!
Netrition has them. You can order as much as you like from their website for a flat rate shipping fee of 4.95
http://www.netrition.com/lw_ketone_strips_page.html

With a 75.00 order or more, you also get free products/items.
Topazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 03:48 AM   #30
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: gadgetsgirl
new to the game

I'm just starting the program and weigh 165.25. I am looking to lose 20 lbs but was told I'd have a hard time since I have hypothyroidism, anyone else have this problem and what can I do to boost the amount of weight I need to lose?

My husband is on the program to so I have lots of built in support. He needs to lose 50lbs.

Any advice would be appreciated. I'm hungry constantly, but I don't eat that way, just three meals a day and no sugar of white anything.

Thanks to all and good luck!
gadgetsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote