Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2010, 09:37 AM   #241
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: gellegbs
Stats: 262/243/135
WOE: Atkins 02' (Induction)
Start Date: 10/2/10
I restarted induction 2 1/2 weeks ago and so far a 4 lb loss. This week I started an exercise routine and my weight seems to have stopped and gone up a pound. My ketones are lower than usual, but still registering in small amounts. In the past 2 days I reduced my carb intake to under 15 grams. I am following the book and not eating anything off the lists, though I have on occasion had 1/2 to 1 ounce of almonds (plain) when i felt dizzy as suggested by Dr. Atkins. I also never eat more than 3 servings of cheese a day and sometimes don't eat any at all. I have been eating slim jims and pork rinds with cinnamon and stevia, counting the carbs of course. These are the only differences from my last successful round of Induction.

I did start Atkins before the holidays and failed to follow and messed on each holiday (Thanksgiving day, Christmas day, etc.). Then I had to be out of town for my daughter's surgery and I was 5 days off the diet, (no refrigeration) though I tried my hardest to keep carbs down when possible. Would all this back and forth mess with metabolism? Should I do the Fat Fast?
Phillipeans 4:13
gellegbs is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2010, 01:56 PM   #242
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jenjenjen
Stats: 217/217/135
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: Restart July 8, 2013
Sorry to just bust on in, its been a while since I have been here! Congrats to everyone on their weight loss and determination!
I have been back on program for 2 weeks and am sticking to it like glue. I am in the darkest shade of ketosis and have been walking 3-5 miles at least 4-4 times per week.
I am not eating nuts, but am having a bit of cheese. Other than that it is just steak and chicken.....chicken and steak!
Very few veggies.....I know, I know, but I just do not like veggies
Here is the problem. The first week, I lost 9 pounds and week two nothing........but its not just that I didn't lose.....I actually gained
I am not pre-period.
Any thoughts or insight is very appreciated.
Jen
jenjenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:49 AM   #243
Junior LCF Member

WOE: Atkins Extended Induction
Start Date: January 1, 2009
same here

I lost 8ish lbs in the first two weeks, following things to the letter, and have now stalled. I have ten more pounds to go and while I know it slows down week three, four, and five, there is absolutely no movement at all and it's discouraging.

Is the fat fast the way to go here? What else can I do to ensure at least a pound of loss this week?
newyorkstateofmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:55 AM   #244
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: johnny31
Stats: 173/143
WOE: Atkins - Maintenance
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkstateofmind View Post
and have now stalled
A stall was defined by Dr. Atkins as four consecutive weeks with no weight loss or loss of inches. Are you REALLY stalled?

Are you still on Induction or did you move to OWL?

If you moved to OWL, how long ago did you move and what foods did you add back?

If you want to post a complete menu, with quantities and net carbs for all foods, we can take a look. It's difficult to troubleshoot without a menu.

Quote:
Is the fat fast the way to go here?
Definitely no!

The Fat Fast is for those people who are very metabolically resistant. Since you lost over 44% of the weight you needed to lose in the first two weeks, you're certainly not a Fat Fast candidate.

Quote:
What else can I do to ensure at least a pound of loss this week?
Honestly... nothing. Nothing can "ensure" you will lose X lbs in Y weeks.

This is not a race. There can be weeks or even months without wight loss... and often there's nothing you can do about it.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:09 AM   #245
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gellegbs View Post
This week I started an exercise routine and my weight seems to have stopped and gone up a pound.
This is not unusual when you start a new exercise program. It's not that you're not losing fat... but you are probably retaining water.

Also... make sure you take body measurements. Sometimes we lose inches without losing pounds.

Quote:
My ketones are lower than usual, but still registering in small amounts.
The color on Ketostix is unimportant. The fact that they change color means that you're in ketosis.

And you could be in ketosis without changing the color of the sticks at all.

Quote:
In the past 2 days I reduced my carb intake to under 15 grams.
Not losing weight for one week is not a reason to lower your carb level. In fact, you might be missing important nutrients your metabolism needs by undereating vegetables.

As I wrote in my previous reply, there can be weeks and even months with no weight loss. It happens.

Quote:
I have on occasion had 1/2 to 1 ounce of almonds (plain) when i felt dizzy as suggested by Dr. Atkins
Are you still dizzy after 2-1/2 weeks? That's not right!

How many calories are you consuming daily?

Are you eating every few hours? And do your meals have some fat, protein and veggie carbs?

Quote:
I have been eating slim jims
Junk.

Quote:
pork rinds
There are better sources of protein.

Plus, part of the protein converts to glucose... so consuming excess protein can actually interfere with weight loss.

Quote:
These are the only differences from my last successful round of Induction.
You should not compare your weight loss then with your weight loss now.

A "successful round of Induction" does not mean you will be successful on Atkins. And I don't know what "successful" means for you since Dr. Atkins told us that weight loss is not the only way to measure success at the end of our 14-day Induction.

Quote:
messed on each holiday (Thanksgiving day, Christmas day, etc.)
Did you have a plan? Did you have Atkins-friendly foods you could eat? Without a plan, you are likely to mess up... which is why planning is essential.

Quote:
Then I had to be out of town for my daughter's surgery
I hope your daughter is feeling better!

Quote:
Should I do the Fat Fast?
No.

A week without weight loss is not a reason to do the Fat Fast.

Last edited by johnny31; 01-19-2010 at 11:11 AM..
johnny31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 11:11 AM   #246
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkstateofmind View Post
I lost 8ish lbs in the first two weeks, following things to the letter, and have now stalled.
Did you lose inches?
johnny31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:45 PM   #247
Junior LCF Member

WOE: Atkins Extended Induction
Start Date: January 1, 2009
no

hey guys,
i decided to take your advice and just stick with the WOE, no fat fast or craziness. since last week, i have lost one more pound. while it would be sunshine and rainbows to lose more than a pound a week, as you said, this isn't a race so easy does it for me. this is the healthy way, esp since i'm within 10 lbs of my goal/healthy weight. thanks for all your encouragement
newyorkstateofmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:15 PM   #248
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: AngieCakes
Stats: 198/143/135-140
WOE: Atkins/Pre-Maintenance
Start Date: 1/8/2010
Glad to hear the good news
AngieCakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 01:47 PM   #249
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Angelad653
Stats: 161/151/145
WOE: Atkins/low carb
Start Date: January 4 2010
Hi everyone.. I see there haven't been any really recent posts in here.. but i just needed to get some things off my chest :/
went to the doc today and the scale there has me only down 2 pounds since i was there almost a month ago. i did just have lunch and all. but my scale here doesnt ever (even on up days) weigh me at my starting weight
And i would like to say that i have lost inches, but i just dont know if that is true since i just started measuring last tuesday!
I just cannot believe that i have been at this for 4 weeks and i am the same exactly as i was when i started!?! especially that i have been working out so much and so hard! i guess it could be new muscles and losing fat... but is it really posible that i be losing fat and gaining muscle at a rate that i would see almost NO change on the scale?? should i be doing something differently? i mean i am just mad and frustrated and i really wish i would have measured on the very first day so atleast i would KNOW if anything is happening!
Old 02-05-2010, 11:17 AM   #250
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: prncessrkp
Stats: Post baby bf-ing gain 205.6/148, Now 168.0
WOE: Atkins / VLC
Start Date: re-start 8/1/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelad653 View Post
Hi everyone.. I see there haven't been any really recent posts in here.. but i just needed to get some things off my chest :/
went to the doc today and the scale there has me only down 2 pounds since i was there almost a month ago. i did just have lunch and all. but my scale here doesnt ever (even on up days) weigh me at my starting weight
And i would like to say that i have lost inches, but i just dont know if that is true since i just started measuring last tuesday!
I just cannot believe that i have been at this for 4 weeks and i am the same exactly as i was when i started!?! especially that i have been working out so much and so hard! i guess it could be new muscles and losing fat... but is it really posible that i be losing fat and gaining muscle at a rate that i would see almost NO change on the scale?? should i be doing something differently? i mean i am just mad and frustrated and i really wish i would have measured on the very first day so atleast i would KNOW if anything is happening!
Are you getting enough water in? That's sometimes the culprit. But your scale may not move, but you still be may losing inches... due to gaining muscle and losing fat. The best way to measure that (since you only checked your measurements a few days ago) is to try something you wore last month when you started that fit a bit tight. See if there has been any change in the clothes you wear. If you feel you're fitting better in them, then it's okay that the numbers haven't moved because you size has gotten smaller. Also, since you have little to lose, it may take longer. It seems as iff we're very close in Stats. So Good luck!
prncessrkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:23 PM   #251
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prncessrkp View Post
Are you getting enough water in? That's sometimes the culprit. But your scale may not move, but you still be may losing inches... due to gaining muscle and losing fat. The best way to measure that (since you only checked your measurements a few days ago) is to try something you wore last month when you started that fit a bit tight. See if there has been any change in the clothes you wear. If you feel you're fitting better in them, then it's okay that the numbers haven't moved because you size has gotten smaller. Also, since you have little to lose, it may take longer. It seems as iff we're very close in Stats. So Good luck!
Thanks.. I will try on some things. i dont really look forward to it, cuz i been wearing pretty much my normal clothes this whole time. and i think i have noticed alittle difference. but i am worried that it may just be wishful thinking :/
i am trying to stay hopeful and stick to it. but its just not easy this time around. I hope to see some movement on the scale soon.
oh and you are right on with the water. i keep a gallon with me all day (at home) and i manage to drink about a half of one everyday. but in the last few days it has taken me about 3 days to drink one. maybe that is what is going on. i will make it a point to really get it in today and try to keep it up.. hopefully that will help
Angelad653 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 03:11 PM   #252
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: prncessrkp
Stats: Post baby bf-ing gain 205.6/148, Now 168.0
WOE: Atkins / VLC
Start Date: re-start 8/1/11
Did you get enough of the water in? I hope it helped. How's the scale looking? I'm down 1 pound since my last post, but I feel the weight loss is starting to taper off, since induction is over for me on Friday. I'm hoping to last till Sun (valentine's day) even though we're going out for dinner...Gonna force myself to go to the gym today.
prncessrkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 06:38 PM   #253
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prncessrkp View Post
Did you get enough of the water in? I hope it helped. How's the scale looking? I'm down 1 pound since my last post, but I feel the weight loss is starting to taper off, since induction is over for me on Friday. I'm hoping to last till Sun (valentine's day) even though we're going out for dinner...Gonna force myself to go to the gym today.
I have been getting my water in. alot of times i have waited til later in the day but ended up getting it in by bed time. I am still not seeing any change in my inches and since this weekend i havent been back on the scale. I weighed on saturday and was about 1 down, but i hate to count it with the way things have been rollercoastering recently. I may be going to weigh in the morning but i was trying to make it til friday if posible. I feel pretty good today. like maybe.. just maybe i may be seeing some change lol. I am sticking with it and hoping i will see some change by the time i get on the scale again. also am trying intermittant fasting by not eating in the mornings and not eating too late in the evenings. just started that today as an experiment and hope to report that it works.

Thanks for checking in let me know how you do at the dinner. i know its hard to eat out and stick to plan. I hope i get taken out to eat for valentines day too
CONGRATS ON THE POUND!!!
Angelad653 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 12:59 PM   #254
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: WClock
Stats: 195/180/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 22, 2019
Slow but sure

I lost 6 pounds in the first two weeks and then NOTHING for about 10 days and finally lost 1.5 pounds--total 7.5 pounds in the first 4 weeks. I am trying to stay right around 20-25 carbs daily but discovered that there were some hidden carbs in all the Splenda I was using, so I've switched to liquid sweetener (EZ-Sweetz) with 0 carbs. I was all upset that I wasn't losing more until I measured and discovered I'd lost 1.5 inches around my chest and 1 inch around my waist and hips. My goal for next month is 8 pounds.
WClock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 05:17 PM   #255
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: AngieCakes
Stats: 198/143/135-140
WOE: Atkins/Pre-Maintenance
Start Date: 1/8/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by WClock View Post
I lost 6 pounds in the first two weeks and then NOTHING for about 10 days and finally lost 1.5 pounds--total 7.5 pounds in the first 4 weeks. I am trying to stay right around 20-25 carbs daily but discovered that there were some hidden carbs in all the Splenda I was using, so I've switched to liquid sweetener (EZ-Sweetz) with 0 carbs. I was all upset that I wasn't losing more until I measured and discovered I'd lost 1.5 inches around my chest and 1 inch around my waist and hips. My goal for next month is 8 pounds.

Isn't it awesome when you find out that even when the scale wasn't moving, the inches were? I love that part because the scale can bum me out sometimes.
AngieCakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:24 PM   #256
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JulieAnna
Stats: 162/139/130
WOE: Atkins/Low Carb
Start Date: February 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebky View Post
I'm new here, and skimming thru all this cuz I started induction 3 days ago. I'm getting discouraged reading that so many people can be in ketosis and yet not losing? (I havn't lost my cravings completely yet so I'm needing inspiration to get over this hump I think)

One thing I find is that I get very tired on Atkins and my excersize endurance gets hammered on. This concerns me and tempts me to add more carbs. I've heard a bit here and there about ******* diet... is there a place I can learn more about the plan and science behind that... ?
I am also on day 3. I have no Idea if im in ketosis. I still have some cravings but Im not starving all the time. So I guess we will see.Good luck to everyone!!
JulieAnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:10 AM   #257
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: alexandra1
Stats: (207/200/130)
Start Date: restart 07/04/11
I just keep working the plan, don't eat when not hungry and watch how often you weigh yourself, It can be INCREDIBLY hard not too, but I have goal in mind and I am sticking with it. my clothes are looser and I needed a smaller lab coat at work...that works for me...
alexandra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:16 AM   #258
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: alexandra1
Stats: (207/200/130)
Start Date: restart 07/04/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieAnna View Post
I am also on day 3. I have no Idea if im in ketosis. I still have some cravings but Im not starving all the time. So I guess we will see.Good luck to everyone!!
Rebky, I am on my 4th week. I felt very washed out for awhile and didn't think I could keep going on. On those days do not exert yourself too much. Build exercise into your habits...I haven't been to the Y since saturday, but I had sick children. I am going today, but I only work out on the Treadmill for 30 minutes.. The first day I was back on I BARELY made 10 minutes!

If you are really deidicated you will get there...we are al different,it WILL come off but you may have t oadjust for YOU here and there...I read other people's stories for inspiration, but not at fact for me...

you wanna laugh? my stupid motivation is my halloween costume..I want to go as Satine from Moulin ROuge...a Musical from 2001 starring Nicole Kidman..
It's what keeps me going...

mini-goal 190 by July 29
alexandra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 12:49 PM   #259
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kisha1976
Stats: 292/292/200
WOE: Low carb (currently induction)
Start Date: January 28, 2013
I've been on Atkins since January 4th, and I've only lost 10 pounds. I have lost a few inches, but not much.

My ****** stats look like this (started using ****** on Feb. 4th:

Monthly Average

Calories

Total Fat: 51%

Carbs: 10%

Protein: 39%

Should any of my percentages be tweaked a bit? Even though I am seeing some results, I feel like I'm moving kind of slow Thanks!
Kisha1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:51 PM   #260
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: 2big4mysize
Stats: 313 to current goalie 169-173
WOE: Atkins 2002
Start Date: june 1 2002
atkins is higher fats and lower proteins try eating a few bites less of your protein foods each meal and add1-2 tablespoons of fat to your day
2big4mysize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:43 AM   #261
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: catbellzzz
Stats: 187/ /160
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 02/12/2010
Portions??
I've been on Atkins induction for 2 wks, and the scale has moved only 2 lbs. And I'm thinking that's water weight. I'm eating only 20 carbs a day, but enjoying all the low-card/no-carb foods on the induction food list.

I feel great on this food plan - my blood glucose levels haven't looked so good in 10 years. I'm not hungry very often, and I've noticed other positive changes in the way I feel.

But I want to lose weight, too! So - I think I need adjustment in the amount of food I'm eating. Are there any portion size recommendations out there??? Should I be counting calories as well as low-carbing? Help!
catbellzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 08:54 AM   #262
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: babycricketgirl
Stats: 6'0" 12/28/09 (287)- 247today
WOE: Atkins/ Suppliments: Gla/Cla Combo / Exercise
Start Date: January 1, 2010
60 days of progress with LC and cla/gla combo photoalbum

You might consider looking at the supplements you are taking. I've been taking cla and gla and have had great results. I'm only on week 8... have lose zero weight the last month... but have had huge results in changes in my belly. You can see the result for yourself if you look at my photo album. Ive taken photos every 30 days to keep me focused on my goal. I can't tell you how happy I am that I found out about these vitamins... (there is actualy a cla/gla group here on LC friends. Just look under the vitamin supplement link to see.
1/1/10 SW (286) 285 284 283 282 281 280 279 278 276 275 274 273 272 271 270 269 268 267 266 265 264 263 262 261 -25# month 1 2/1/10 261 260 259 258 257 256 month 2 3/1/10 255 254 253 252 251 250 249 248 247
month 3 so far 246 245 244 243 242 241 240 239 238 237 236 235 234 233 232 231 230 229 228 227 226 225 224 223 222 221 220 219 218 217 216 215 214 213 212 211 210 209 208 207 206 205 204 203 202 201 200 199 Finish Line!
babycricketgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:55 AM   #263
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kitkat36
Stats: 191/145.2/to eat LC forever
WOE: '72 modified
Start Date: 02/09/10
I am on week 5 and I just came off a week and a half stall. I realized that I've slowly added things that are not induction and I think one of them is the culprit. I've added:
*more artificial sweetener - I went from one diet soda to probably 3 a day
*sunflower seeds - I'm sure it wouldn't hurt me as bad if I didn't eat the whole tube in a sitting.
* fruit -I've had blueberries and strawberries mixed with HWC too often

Yesterday was the first day of cutting these things out and I felt like I was doing induction all over again. On the upside, I lost a pound!!
|170- 03/12/10|160- 04/11/10|150- 06/5/10|145- 07/17/10|150- 11/14/10|140-|

"It has to start somewhere. It has to start sometime. What better place than here, what better time than now?"

Last edited by kitkat36; 03-09-2010 at 08:57 AM.. Reason: said today instead of yesterday in last paragraph
kitkat36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:49 PM   #264
Senior LCF Member

Kitkat - I can relate - I added almonds blue cheese and rum and diet coke... stopped that and the weight started to come off again... I find it interesting learning how our body reacts to different things... Just keep going... I was stalled for a month... but saw results in my clothes! That's where it really matters anyways IMO
Old 03-09-2010, 08:40 PM   #265
Senior LCF Member

babycricketgirl- It is interesting! It's like a frustrating game of weights and balances. Too bad there isn't a test that can determine all this stuff for us. I think I'm going to stick to induction until I am at my goal, then I will allow new things in my diet.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:58 PM   #266
Senior LCF Member

Kitkat... I think that is a good plan... I think that works for me too.... I do have a day here and there that I do more carbs... but for the most part... LC is the way to go... I think it helps me be successful as I deal with the mental mind issues that go along with being successful with weight loss... I've come to understand for myself it wil be a way of life... (kind of like being fat was... focusing on dieting everyday.... where thin people focus on exercising every day.) and the other thing I think thin people don't stress out about is going off plan... because they know if they are on plan most of the time... they can go off plan here and there... and still be in control and okay when the week ends... We need to train our minds to think like thin people.... not that thin people dont eat piggish at times.... ut have you ever been repulsed at the amount of food a thinn person eats?... Ever watch how an unconsious (sp) fat person eats? We just consume... dont even think about what we eat!!! I see this in my son... we have dinner and 30 minutes later.... he is asking... Mom... what did we have for dinner.... and I have to think about it... to recall... WHATS UP WITH THAT??? Do we forget what we eat,,,, so we eat more??? Any thoughts? Let's brainstorm here
Old 03-09-2010, 09:10 PM   #267
Senior LCF Member

[QUOTE=babycricketgirl We just consume... dont even think about what we eat!!! I see this in my son... we have dinner and 30 minutes later.... he is asking... Mom... what did we have for dinner.... and I have to think about it... to recall... WHATS UP WITH THAT??? Do we forget what we eat,,,, so we eat more??? Any thoughts? Let's brainstorm here[/QUOTE]

It's so true! I've had a hard time with stopping myself from habit/boredom eating. I use to eat from the time I got home from work until I went to sleep. I would have a meal, 30 minutes later, dessert, 20 minutes later more dessert or my dinner leftovers and so on. I was good with the excuses, that dinner was smaller than a normal portion or the snack wasn't very much (but looking back, I knew I was lying to myself.)
Old 03-09-2010, 09:22 PM   #268
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: fembomb
Stats: Highest 210/198/118
WOE: Atkins + HHCG (Fishy Vegetarian)
Start Date: Atkins since 1998
i am in Rung 1 of Atkins 02 and i cheated eating almonds one day..
i gained 2 pounds the next day..then lost them..
what do you all think about this??
Metabolic mysteries: why some people can't lose weight even when they eat less | NutritionData.com Blog by Monica Reinagel, L.D.N., C.N.S.
fembomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:31 PM   #269
Senior LCF Member

I wonder if each person's body react differently to the carbs in the foods or is the other elements of the food. It has to be one or the other, right?
Old 03-09-2010, 09:33 PM   #270
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fembomb View Post
i cheated eating almonds one day..
How many almonds? Do you mean 15-20 almonds (one serving in my book) or 5 fists full?