Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2009, 10:51 AM   #211
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: johnny31
Stats: 173/143
WOE: Atkins - Maintenance
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicklj View Post
All that I have eaten for the last 3 days is catfish (sometimes fried, sometimes baked) and eggs scrabled in I can't believe its not butter. Is this a good lowcarb diet.
No, because eggs and catfish do not provide your body with all the nutrients it needs to stay healthy and "run" efficiently. Are you following Atkins (since this is the "Atkins Induction" forum)? If you are, you should read/re-read the book and follow the plan there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babik1sses View Post
Anybody know much about the Fat fast?
The Fat Fast is only recommended for those who are very metabolically resistant and can't lose weight any other way, even by doing a "clean" Induction. Dr. Atkins warns us that the Fat Fast might be dangerous for anyone who does not have a very high metabolic resistance. If someone cannot lose weight during Induction, he/she should first go to the doctor and test for yeast overgrowth, hyperinsulinism and thyroid issues.

The first 4-5 days of the Fat Fast are a 1000-calorie diet, during which one has five 200-calorie meals spread throughout the day (approx. one meal every 4 hours). Possible 200-calorie meals include 1 oz macadamia nuts or macadamia butter, 2 oz cream cheese or Brie, 1 oz tuna/chicken salad with 2 tsp mayo and 1/4 avocado, 2 deviled eggs made with 2 tsp mayo, 2 oz sour cream with 2 tbsp black/red caviar, 2-1/2 oz heavy whipped cream topped with SF syrup, 2 oz high-fat pate, 2 egg yolks with 1 tbsp mayo. The fat percentage in the diet is 75-90%.

After the first 4-5 days, if the Fat Fast worked and one managed to lose weight, one should try the Modified Fat Fast (MFF). Here one increases the calories to 1200, spread between 4 300-calorie meals. One continues the MFF for a week, sees how it goes and then moves back to Induction.

I imagine you are asking this just for general knowledge, right? Because according to one of your previous posts, you've lost 7 lbs during the first week of Induction, so you are definitely not a Fat Fast candidate. How's your weight loss going now?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2009, 11:11 AM   #212
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: babik1sses
Stats: 252/236/175
WOE: Atkins/Low carb
Start Date: July 31, 09
Thanks for the reply and good information post. I was wondering because I see it every so often and was curious =) Weight loss is good I'm on 3rd week of induction and have lost 12lbs total. I dunno why I'm discouraged, maybe because I lost so much weight the first 2 week and expected it to be the same rate? Unrealistic I know , I know!
I guess I need to re evaluate some items I'm eating and maybe try other foods too. I'm a instant gratification person which is BAD!
babik1sses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 11:13 AM   #213
Junior LCF Member

Oh and wanted to mention that Livestrong.com is awesome for writing down all the food you eat and breaks it all down to percentages of fat and carb! Makes it way easier for a busy working mom like myself. Also has a counter for exercise and how much water I am drinking!

Last edited by babik1sses; 08-24-2009 at 11:14 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 08-24-2009, 11:25 AM   #214
Senior LCF Member

12 lbs in 3 weeks is fantastic! That's 15% of the weight you needed to lose when you started Atkins.

Some of the weight we lose during the first week of Induction is water weight. When switching from a high-carb to a low-carb diet, our bodies burn through the glycogen stores and because glycogen is stored with 3-4 parts water, quite a bit of water is lost too, not only fat. Now that water is gone, so you are losing fat. That's a good thing, because fat loss is what you care about.

Did you take body measurements to see how your inches change? Losing inches is the best indicator of fat loss. I've seen Atkineers who dropped several dress sizes without losing a pound.

I'm not sure if LIVESTRONG tracks vitamins & minerals and compares them with the RDAs, but check that you get all the micronutrients you need in your diet. Certain vitamin/mineral deficiencies can slow down the rate of weight loss.
johnny31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 11:27 AM   #215
Senior LCF Member

Forgot something... Also, as you lose weight and become smaller, weight loss will naturally slow down. The amount we lose (like, X lbs) is relative to the amount of weight we have to lose.

Editing to add: You can also set mini-goals (without deadline is better for some) other than weight loss. For example, walking a mile in X minutes instead of Y. Or running X miles. Or lifting X lbs more than you did last week. These are all proofs that you are becoming more fit.

Last edited by johnny31; 08-24-2009 at 11:30 AM..
Old 08-25-2009, 04:07 PM   #216
Junior LCF Member

Week 3 of induction

Ok so I was looking through the threads and found something excellent to read while on induction and your past the 2nd week and your wondering why you haven't lost any weight as much as the first two weeks!
It's very realistic and puts things in perspective .

Common patterns of weight loss:From tracking a *lot* of people who
become assimilated into the lowcarb lifestyle (hehe...resistance is
futile!) a pattern emerges....

the 2 week induction is pretty heady...weight lost just about every
single day, enormous and unbelievable amounts of weight loss are reported.
This is often followed by complaints that weight loss "stalls" or that
the rate drops to only 1 pound per week. (if that).

Many people just don't know that fat-loss ...the actual goal when on a
weight-reduction" diet, is rate-limited. In other words, the human
body has factors that prevent more than a certain amount of fatty-acid
release from storage...and even more factors that prevent those released
fatty acids from being used up instead of stored back into the fat
cells.

A priority of the human body is survival. Anything that threatens its
survival results in the cascade of events to maintain the previous
status quo. Water fluctuations are one way the body does this.
OK...so you done good on Atkins' during induction...lost 10 pounds the
first 2 weeks.

Maybe 7 the first week and 3 the second. But, whoa!
Weeks 3 and 4 there is NO loss! And weeks 5 and 6 is only 1/2 pound
each! So... what gives?

Initially, the body jettisons the water attached to the glycogen stores
that we diligently deplete to get into ketosis...this accounts for
about 3-5 pounds of water.

In addition, muscle stores of glycogen are not
being replaced when used...which will account for the rest. All in
all...MAYBE 1/2 pound of fat was metabolized during the first week... and
MAYBE 1/2 pound of fat was metabolized the 2nd week. Of that 10
initial pounds, only 1 pound was fat and 9 pounds water...

The body senses this lack and sirens start shrieking:
Warning! Warning! Losing water... new thing...got to get back to the
status quo! Brain tells body to produce and release that vasopressin
antidiuretic hormone....more water is retained, and no weight loss
noticed.

Fat loss is still occuring, MAYBE even 2 pounds per week, because
ketosis is firmly established and appetite supression is in
effect...but water retention is hiding that continuing fat loss.

The body is
preventing dehydration with this mechanism, and that's a *good* thing.
From the perspective of the scale, it can be discouraging.
Which is why the mantra: Water retention masks fat loss (repeated
frequently to oneself ) is helpful.

Water retention will mask ongoing fat-loss for as long as the body
retains the water. We can combat this by drinking more water...but we
aren't going to totally overcome this mechanism during the initial
water-loss phase of the Atkins diet.

By weeks 5 and 6, things start to get back in balance, and the scale
will begin to reflect the true fat-loss...which, as mentioned before is
rate-limited.

Individuals vary, but max weight loss runs about 2 pounds per
week...under extremely optimal conditions... or 1% of body weight.(whichever is
the lower number)

Take-home message: Even when the scale is in a stall, fat loss can be
occuring. Don't use the scale as an excuse to undermine your progress
Hope this can shed some light for you as well!"
Old 09-05-2009, 08:03 AM   #217
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dbkate
Stats: 299/275/195 6'1" Weigh-in whenever
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 4/28/12 Back on the wagon!
The scale is always my undoing. I'm tempted to throw the thing out but I'm too attached to it. LOL. I should be satisfied that I'm feeling so much better - IBS under control, joints no longer swollen, energy up, walking easier, less bloated ... ah well, I still haven't weighed myself since Aug 31st. That's good, I guess.
dbkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:46 AM   #218
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: wndyw1
Stats: 170/159/135
Start Date: August 2009
I did so well during induction, but tried to go above 20. My weight loss stopped at that point. Does any body else find that they need to stick with 20 carbs a day to lose?
wndyw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 02:05 PM   #219
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wndyw1 View Post
I did so well during induction, but tried to go above 20. My weight loss stopped at that point. Does any body else find that they need to stick with 20 carbs a day to lose?
What is your degree of metabolic resistance based on your 2-week Induction weight loss?
Old 10-20-2009, 06:11 AM   #220
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CiCiMagee
Why am I not losing during induction?

I have been in the Induction Phase for 7 days now. I used the Keto strips and they say that I am in Ketosis but I have only lost .4 pounds. I have limited by carb intake to 12-15 carbs a day. I also limit my calorie intake to under 1700 calories per day. Is this normal? HELP

I don't want to give up but I just don't understand how limiting calories and limiting carbs can lead to such little weight loss.
CiCiMagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 07:24 AM   #221
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: baumann93
Stats: 231/218/190
Start Date: October 2009
I am in the middle of week 3 of induction - already lost 14 pounds. My diet is not really a strict Atkins - it is Atkins taken to the extreme as the amount of carbs I consume a day is nearing 0 (I am taking multivitamins to compensate). Also, I am pretty much starving myself to expedite the weight loss. Last time I did this was 5 years ago - I lost 25 kilograms in 2.5 month - I know this is not very healthy but I am not patient enough to accept a pound or two of weight loss a week.

My goal is to get to about 190 pounds quickly (I am 6'1") and change my diet to be of Atkins maintenance. Good luck to all.
baumann93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 08:37 AM   #222
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lindsaylou
Stats: 212/206/145
Start Date: October 2009
congratulations to everyone who's losing on the Atkins diet!

I feel somewhat discouraged on this diet.. I posted on Yahoo! Answers & quickly learned that wasn't the right thing to do - everyone who replied was pretty much saying to stop the Atkins plan immediately because it's "so bad for you." But this is the first real diet/lifestyle change I have tried to lose weight & I desperately need to lose weight!

This is only my 4th day on Atkins & I have been feeling nauseas during the day for 2 or 3 days now, but I can't figure out why... someone on Yahoo said it was because of imbalance in diet; my mom suggested lactose intolerance (I've been eating eggs & cheese quite often) but I've never experienced any intolerance to lactose before...

I'm not giving up yet. I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced this type of nausea in their induction, or if anyone has tips for me?

Thank you
lindsaylou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 05:04 PM   #223
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: 2big4mysize
Stats: 313 to current goalie 169-173
WOE: Atkins 2002
Start Date: june 1 2002
it is part of what is called induction flu by many your body is responding to your low blood sugar levels as it tries to build rapidly the new "fueling" stations you are going to be using in your cells. Also the new higher protein diet can act as a diuretic and if you make poor veggie choices you can become depleted in water soluble vits and minerals like potassium which can cause a temperary blood pressure drop making you feel nausea too.
2big4mysize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 06:17 AM   #224

Gallery: StephStu
I can't seem to find my tape measure, so I'm going today to buy another one. As I reported earlier, I have an easier time now buttoning once unbuttonable pants, but my scale is stagnant. However, I feel like it's wrong, because (not to be gross) I can weigh before and after a large BM and it doesn't move, when it should register at least a pound lighter.

I'm giving up on the scale, increasing my exercise, and just keeping on keeping on as best I can.
StephStu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 08:59 AM   #225
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: time for change
Please post some photos!! Very exciting!!
time for change is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 01:50 PM   #226
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: easwann
Stats: was 240lbs am 191 lbs
WOE: Peace, meat, water, and eggs!
Start Date: learning everyday
Please keep this going, very inspirational!! So glad to hear that this 3rd week can be a stabilizing week. Stabilize away!! I feel better than I did 3 weeks ago, and I am not gonna quit!
easwann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 06:04 AM   #227
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: easwann
Stats: was 240lbs am 191 lbs
WOE: Peace, meat, water, and eggs!
Start Date: learning everyday
Well what a difference a day makes.. I am so glad I found all these inspirational posts because I hung in there and noticed a 2 lb loss this morning. I know these posts kept me on the right track. I feel better than I have in a couple of years...I had dropped to 199 a few years ago, and I want that feeling back, so THANKS to everyone..Lizzie
easwann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:06 AM   #228
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: 2big4mysize
Stats: 313 to current goalie 169-173
WOE: Atkins 2002
Start Date: june 1 2002
congrats on shedding that body fat and not shoving high carb foods in your mouth as you waited out the sclaes.
2big4mysize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 07:23 PM   #229
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Nathan6878
I am confused with the Atkins bars that on the front of these boxes they say they may only contain two to three net carbs but then I look on the side pannels to find out there could be seven carbs in them? Is there any one maybe that could tell me how many true carbs are in the atkins products!!!
Nathan6878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 07:53 PM   #230
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Fatbrat
Stats: 213/184/155
WOE: ATKINS!!
Start Date: 12/15/2008
I can't help because I found all that processed packaged stuff is BAD...I would do better to eat a snickers
Fatbrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:11 AM   #231
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: centrino
Stats: 218/164/130
WOE: JUDDD, IF
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsaylou View Post

I feel somewhat discouraged on this diet.. I posted on Yahoo! Answers & quickly learned that wasn't the right thing to do - everyone who replied was pretty much saying to stop the Atkins plan immediately because it's "so bad for you." But this is the first real diet/lifestyle change I have tried to lose weight & I desperately need to lose weight!

This is one thing I hate about these people who say its dangerous, bad etc etc. Just to know most of people who say that never had a weight problem in their lives. Only those who are heavy and struggling for weight loss can appreciate the goodness of Atkins. So don't listen to anyone who has no weight problem and never had any experience with Atkins.

Last edited by centrino; 01-03-2010 at 01:12 AM..
centrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:37 AM   #232
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Fatbrat
Stats: 213/184/155
WOE: ATKINS!!
Start Date: 12/15/2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by centrino View Post
This is one thing I hate about these people who say its dangerous, bad etc etc. Just to know most of people who say that never had a weight problem in their lives. Only those who are heavy and struggling for weight loss can appreciate the goodness of Atkins. So don't listen to anyone who has no weight problem and never had any experience with Atkins.
No one diet is right for everyone. This one works for me because I have issues with insulin and for me it beats hunger and makes the weight come off but when I get slack about eatting to many carbs...the weight comes back. This is more a way of life for me than a diet.

DO NOT DEPEND ON INTERNET ALONE FOR WEIGHT LOSS ADVICE, GO TO THE LIBRARY AND CHECK OUT THE BOOKS...TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR....AND USE COMMON SENSE.... Find out from others what they did to lose weight and keep it off..
Fatbrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:37 PM   #233
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: nicolenadia
Stats: 200/165/140
WOE: atkins
The first time I did induction, I stalled at 15 lbs. The second time I did it, I stopped drinking coffee and tea all together and the weight just fell off at a rapid pace. I suggest stopping with the coffee, even if you have a small cup of black coffee a day. If you are stalling, that might be the trick.
nicolenadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:09 PM   #234
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: primalape
Stats: 270
Start Date: 2010-jan-04
from 200 to 140 !? wow !!! do you have pics illustrating your progress !!??
primalape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:43 PM   #235
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: nicolenadia
Stats: 200/165/140
no no no, 140 is my goal. I was 200, now after 4 months I'm 165. I got down to 156 but went to New Orleans and ate like crazy and then the holidays came and I was eating more....I started induction last week. I was 170 when I started, now I'm 165 and my goal is 140. I'm 5'7 so 140 is an ideal BMI weight for me. I work out for 90 min a day, every day, so it shouldn't take too long as long as I don't encounter any last minute vacations...

starting weight/current weight/goal weight

Thats what it means on people's profile.

Last edited by nicolenadia; 01-07-2010 at 10:44 PM..
nicolenadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:46 PM   #236
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: wempen
frustrated

I am on my 12th day and have only lost 3 lbs as of wednesday,
did not get on the scales the last 2 days. I don't drink regular coffee,
don't take any meds, watch my carbs, watch my calories
and don't drink any diet drinks.

I feel like I may be losing some inches. I hope that my "body"
catches up and lbs just suddenly drop off. I started on Dec 28
so will wait now until Jan 28 to weigh and see if any has dropped.
I started exercising yesterday, so will continue that.
wempen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:26 AM   #237
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Angelad653
Stats: 161/151/145
WOE: Atkins/low carb
Start Date: January 4 2010
hi everyone. i know i cannot by any means call this a stall since i am only on day 7.. but i am none the less discouraged with not seeing the scale move!

i had something from taco bell last night because thats what my hubby wanted and i couldnt resist i had the nachos bell grande with no chips and no beans. just to later find out they add oats and stuff to the meat to make more for less :blush:
so that may be my problem.. but here is the big one. the water! i think i only had 3 20oz waters yesterday. so i am going to make it a point to get in those4-5 bottles full from now on. (my mouth is dry all the time right now anyway) and will try to resist the coke zero with meals as best as i can. i always crave it when i eat. i need some inspiration to keep it up.
also since my weight loss goal is small i do understand that i will not see as much lost as other people who have lots of weight to lose. anyone have any helpful advice for me?
also i have a cup of coffee every morning with splenda... is it true that the coffee could be holding me back? i hate to give it up
Angelad653 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 03:11 AM   #238
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: babycricketgirl
Stats: 6'0" 12/28/09 (287)- 247today
WOE: Atkins/ Suppliments: Gla/Cla Combo / Exercise
Start Date: January 1, 2010
Just Keep Doing It! Sometimes the body needs time to "catch up" with its self IMO. I heard Jillian say that last night on BL and thought to myself.... that seems to make sense...and helps me stay focused on the journay and making this a lifestyle...

Quickly I started on 12/28 at 287 dropped down to 269 this past sunday and then by Tuesday I was up to 275!! Holy Crap! - Could it be muscle? Im exercising 40 minutes m-f on an eleptical (how do you spell that?) and really enjoying it... Could I be gaininng muscle this quickly from the exercise?

SOMETIMES THE BODY JUST NEEDS TIME TO CATCH UP ~ that makes sense.
1/1/10 SW (286) 285 284 283 282 281 280 279 278 276 275 274 273 272 271 270 269 268 267 266 265 264 263 262 261 -25# month 1 2/1/10 261 260 259 258 257 256 month 2 3/1/10 255 254 253 252 251 250 249 248 247
month 3 so far 246 245 244 243 242 241 240 239 238 237 236 235 234 233 232 231 230 229 228 227 226 225 224 223 222 221 220 219 218 217 216 215 214 213 212 211 210 209 208 207 206 205 204 203 202 201 200 199 Finish Line!
babycricketgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:04 AM   #239
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: flemington1975
Stats: 245/227/175 lbs
Start Date: 01/04/10
LindsayLou (and others who are discouraged) everyone is different but hang in there. DO whatever you have to do to get through your "flu" symptoms and then worry about following the rules better. Baby steps. Don't give up caffiene cold turkey cus along with giving up sugar that would be suicidal.....LOL

Those skinny people who say Atkins is bad for you think you are sitting around eating pounds of bacon and cheeseburgers. And if that is what you have to do to get thru induction then by all means do it. But what they dont understand is that after you start to feel better you can incorporate all kinds of chicken, fish, and veggie meals into your diet and there is nothing wrong with the diet. Everyone is different and every diet works differently. Being fat is unhealthy so how can being on this diet that is going to help you lose weight be any worse or more unhealthy for you? Obviously if you continue to eat pounds of bacon and cheeseburgers you may have to worry about your cholesterol and you heart but if you are only eating those things in moderation after the initial phase of your weightloss you will be fine.

Hang in there and stay off the scale!!!!! Weigh in once a week at most, do not obsess over 0.4 lbs here and there. Pick and day and stick to it. If you are feeling better and clothes are fitting better you are doing great!!!!

The key for me this time (I have failed Atkins several times in the past) is being prepared and cooking a lot more. Trying to do this on lunch meat roll ups alone sucks and will not work. You have to try and learn how to eat better and make things you love on this diet. Read these forums and google recipes etc. I started researching recipes etc in Nov and did not start the diet until 1/04/10 and I am doing so well on it so far.

Hope this helps

Heather
flemington1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 09:42 AM   #240
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Babymama
Stats: 200/150/135
WOE: Atkins-low carb
Start Date: January 16 2010/2++/induction again
Hello fellow low carbfriends I was on this way of eating and then I found out I had MS and been on a carb binge for 8 months not sure about my weight but I know it is 2+ hope I could join back and get some inspiration!
Babymama is offline   Reply With Quote