Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2008, 03:46 PM   #151
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 11
Gallery: soldierswife
Stats: 140/129/110
WOE: Atkins
exactly. i dont understand. i am just following the book....? it seems like people who are getting their 20 grams are either eating a lot more veggies or are eating the right amount or lower of veggies and adding in more than 2-3 oz of cheese or other foods not on the list.
soldierswife is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2008, 07:07 PM   #152
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 19
Gallery: marley2
Stats: 158/145/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Sept. 1, 2008
In response to your #2 question:

I too have not lost anything on induction. Since this is my second time around I do have a history as to what stalls my body. Have you added any of the food items that can stall many such as cream, advocado or even the Muffin in a minute? I have found that even some of the veggies in the higher carb counts such as tomatoes will stall me as well as diet soda and even Splenda. I am very insulin resistent apparently. Definetly stay away from bars or other low carb sweets (even if they say they're ok on induction).

I have found that even though the new mantra is 20 net carbs with 12-15 of those as low carb veggies, I can lose only when my net carb counts are much lower than 20. It is unfortunate, since I just love my veggies, but it is what works for my body. I have found you need to find out what triggers your body and try to stay away from those things. I have tried to follow every rule exactly and have finally realized I need to listen to my body and respond accordingly. I will definently stick all the other rules, but I simply cannot lose at 20 net carb/day.

Again, they say if may take time for your body to catch up your weight loss and it may suddenly start to drop. Don't give up, I know from experience that I feel so much better eating this way...but I realize I would feel much better if the scale was moving more.
marley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 03:08 AM   #153
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 10
Gallery: LSUGumbohead
Stats: 200.5/190.5/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 9/2/08
Reply to Soldierswife

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldierswife View Post
Hi everyone! I posted my first post earlier today and didn't get any responses. I'm new here and looking for a bit of guidance. I'm finishing up Day 12 of induction today. I lost 4 pounds the first week, and then lost two more and now have gained it back. I have been measuring and haven't lost any inches though...=( I would rather lose inches than pounds so as not to think it's all water weight. I have a couple questions if anyone has time!:
1) how do you get anywhere near 20g of carbs in induction? By eating ONLY the foods listed in the book, the only real carbs come from cheese (3-4 max per day), eggs (i may eat 1 or 2 @ 1 carb each), and lc veggies. Since you get 2 cups of salad veggies and 1 cup of other veggies....I find it impossible to hit anywhere near 20 grams per day and DEFINITELY am not getting 12-15 from veggies. How do you? Lettuce for a salad has practically nothing!

2) Why would I have not lost any inches so far =/ ?

Thanks everyone! Everyone here seems really friendly, I hope I get some replies this time!
First, tell your husband thank you for his service. I am new here but I have been reading a lot of this forum and others and I think I read somewhere that just three cups of salad a day is 20 carbs. I try to eat a cup of salad a day and 1/2 cup of green beans or cabbage, etc. that are not in the starchy cat. of veggies. My other carbs come from splenda in my coffee, diet coke. I sometimes go over the 20 carbs because of the splenda. As of yesterday, I had lost 13 pounds. Today is my two week anniversary and I gained a pound and a half. I ate no veggies at all yesterday and actually did not each as much as I have been. So this morning I am back on eating lots of eggs, bacon and a nice big juicy steak tonight. Eggs also help suppress your apetite as they are pure protein. Be sure to use butter or olive oil when cooking as you want to get as much fat as possible. If you are trying to watch your fat, then this diet won't work. Watch the cheese too..only about four ounces a day. I am used to snacking at my desk at work so now I just keep pork skins handy. Don't eat much of them but it does help when I see someone else chowing down on Chili Cheese Fritos (my favorite!). I am not discouraged by my gain today, did not drink enough water and went overboard on my carbs. I am in ketosis though as my strip was in the moderate range. I only check urine first thing in the morning...it is the only time that I have results. I hope this helps somewhat. Also, there are some wonderful videos on You Tube especially the guy from Living Livdeo Low Carb or something like that...very informative videos and they keep me very motivated. Good luck.
LSUGumbohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 05:06 AM   #154
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 11
Gallery: soldierswife
Stats: 140/129/110
WOE: Atkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUGumbohead View Post
First, tell your husband thank you for his service. I am new here but I have been reading a lot of this forum and others and I think I read somewhere that just three cups of salad a day is 20 carbs. I try to eat a cup of salad a day and 1/2 cup of green beans or cabbage, etc. that are not in the starchy cat. of veggies. My other carbs come from splenda in my coffee, diet coke. I sometimes go over the 20 carbs because of the splenda. As of yesterday, I had lost 13 pounds. Today is my two week anniversary and I gained a pound and a half. I ate no veggies at all yesterday and actually did not each as much as I have been. So this morning I am back on eating lots of eggs, bacon and a nice big juicy steak tonight. Eggs also help suppress your apetite as they are pure protein. Be sure to use butter or olive oil when cooking as you want to get as much fat as possible. If you are trying to watch your fat, then this diet won't work. Watch the cheese too..only about four ounces a day. I am used to snacking at my desk at work so now I just keep pork skins handy. Don't eat much of them but it does help when I see someone else chowing down on Chili Cheese Fritos (my favorite!). I am not discouraged by my gain today, did not drink enough water and went overboard on my carbs. I am in ketosis though as my strip was in the moderate range. I only check urine first thing in the morning...it is the only time that I have results. I hope this helps somewhat. Also, there are some wonderful videos on You Tube especially the guy from Living Livdeo Low Carb or something like that...very informative videos and they keep me very motivated. Good luck.
The atkins book says 1 cup of romaine is only 0.4 carbs. SO 2 cups is less than a carb. How does that add up to 20??? Gained another pound today.... ??? blah.
soldierswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 11:04 AM   #155
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 19
Gallery: marley2
Stats: 158/145/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Sept. 1, 2008
You are exactly right I cup of Romaine is only .4 carbs. It takes a TON of veggies to reach that 12 -15 range. I sometimes feel I am eating all day and am stuffed yet I still need to eat MORE. I hope someone can shed some light as to the discrepencies in Dr. Atkins and the new rule of 12-15. Also, I would like to know if the 12-15 are mandatory even if I am not hungry and not losing weight. Thanks!
marley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 05:22 PM   #156
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 10
Gallery: LSUGumbohead
Stats: 200.5/190.5/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 9/2/08
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldierswife View Post
The atkins book says 1 cup of romaine is only 0.4 carbs. SO 2 cups is less than a carb. How does that add up to 20??? Gained another pound today.... ??? blah.
I don't know but watching those videos on You Tube that's what one of the guys said. Maybe he is referring to everything included in the salad but that's what he said. And he lost 180 pounds...lol I gained weight this morning but not going to give up just eat more protein and fat and less carbs. This morning I had three fried eggs and bacon. Was not hungry at lunch but ate a small salad and snacked here and there at my desk on pork rinds. I am in the process of cooking me a big juicy steak and will eat half a cup of green beans with it and that's it except for the splenda in my coffee and tea. By my afternoon weight (I know I shouldn't but it has become a habit after work each day), I can usually tell if I will lose weight in the morning. If I weigh less than the afternoon before, then I know I will be alright and keeps me honest in the evening. If am above that weight, then I eat all fat and protein and drink a ton of water all evening. It seems to be working for me but as they say YMMV....good luck, Brenda
LSUGumbohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 05:30 PM   #157
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 10
Gallery: LSUGumbohead
Stats: 200.5/190.5/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 9/2/08
Quote:
Originally Posted by marley2 View Post
You are exactly right I cup of Romaine is only .4 carbs. It takes a TON of veggies to reach that 12 -15 range. I sometimes feel I am eating all day and am stuffed yet I still need to eat MORE. I hope someone can shed some light as to the discrepencies in Dr. Atkins and the new rule of 12-15. Also, I would like to know if the 12-15 are mandatory even if I am not hungry and not losing weight. Thanks!

I noticed on some of the packages of mixed greens today that they did have a carb content of two carbs. One of my co-workers is doing low carb with me (and he has about two hundred pounds to lose). He told me the last time he tried Atkins, he would eat salads all day long when he was on it before and just never did have any luck. He also would eat those low carb bars, ice cream, etc. This time he is sticking to a high protein and fat diet eating hardly any carbs. I am still eating a salad or some other non starch vegetable. He has lost more than me but what man doesn't...lol We both saw the video where the guy said that three cups of salad was 20 carbs so maybe he is talking about mixed greens with salad dressing. I can't find my book but to be honest, when I get a little depressed about eating the same thing, etc., I watch those videos on You Tube and they are inspiring. Good luck, Brenda
LSUGumbohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 07:42 PM   #158
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 19
Gallery: marley2
Stats: 158/145/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Sept. 1, 2008
You know there is something to eating 0 carbs. I tried this and could lose about 1 lb. a day. Most people say that this really cuts their cravings, however I had MONSTER cravings. I would eat meat, 2 eggs and sometimes mayo on chicken. That is it. No cheese. There is a group on this forum called 0 carbers and there are many people who eat this way and have for many, many years. I felt terrible on this and quickly abandoned it. The weight loss simply wasn't worth how bad I felt.

You should check out ******.com food calculator as well as the usda calculator which will give you any foods nutritional info. You can subtract the fiber from carbs and see exactly what you are eating in a day. They both agree about romaine. It says that 100g of romaine has 1.19 net carbs. That is HEAPING bowl full of lettuce at the barest minimum 3 cups. I have found this handy and have given up trusting the labels supplied by the food manufacturer. They seem to rarely agree.

I will have to check out the youtube video you are talking about. I could use some inspiring video every once in a while.
marley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 06:41 AM   #159
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 10
Gallery: LSUGumbohead
Stats: 200.5/190.5/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 9/2/08
Quote:
Originally Posted by marley2 View Post
You know there is something to eating 0 carbs. I tried this and could lose about 1 lb. a day. Most people say that this really cuts their cravings, however I had MONSTER cravings. I would eat meat, 2 eggs and sometimes mayo on chicken. That is it. No cheese. There is a group on this forum called 0 carbers and there are many people who eat this way and have for many, many years. I felt terrible on this and quickly abandoned it. The weight loss simply wasn't worth how bad I felt.

You should check out ******.com food calculator as well as the usda calculator which will give you any foods nutritional info. You can subtract the fiber from carbs and see exactly what you are eating in a day. They both agree about romaine. It says that 100g of romaine has 1.19 net carbs. That is HEAPING bowl full of lettuce at the barest minimum 3 cups. I have found this handy and have given up trusting the labels supplied by the food manufacturer. They seem to rarely agree.

I will have to check out the youtube video you are talking about. I could use some inspiring video every once in a while.
I guess I misunderstood the quote about three cups of salad being 20 carbs. I bought a new book as I couldn't find mine and have been reading it. On page 123 of his book (New Diet Revolution) it does state you need to quoting "eat no more than 20 grams a day of carbs, most of which must come in the form of salad greens and other vegetables. You can eat approximately three cups--loosely packed--of salad, or two cups of salad plus one cup of other vegetables." So I just misunderstood by saying that 3 cups of salad is 20 carbs but I knew that three cups of salad meant something...lol I am still losing two pounds to one pound a day. Some days I eat a salad but some days not. Yesterday for breakfast I bought one scrambled egg order and one bacon order with a large diet coke from Grandy's, 8 oz. of fried catfish (and yes I ate the entire 8 ounces...lol) for lunch and last night I ate one stuffed mushroom (large) and two boiled eggs. It seems if I eat boiled eggs at night (if we are not cooking out steaks, etc.) then I lose one to two pounds overnight. Being pure protein I am not hungry either. I know we are not supposed to eat battered fried food, but years ago my cousin was on a low carb diet (doctor in Louisiana did this before Atkins came on the scene) and she would eat Popeye's chicken, etc. and lost over a hundred pounds...her doctor told her that there is only a trace of carbs in fried chicken, fish, etc. She was on a 40 carb a day diet and to this day she still is living low carb way before it was fashionable and keeps her weight off. Some mornings my keto stick is purple (never the darkest though) and sometimes just a trace but I am still losing. Good luck. Brenda
LSUGumbohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 05:30 AM   #160
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Lafayette, IN
Posts: 7
Gallery: erica6381
Stats: 155/155/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 12, 2010
Feeling puffy and fatter!

Ok, I have completed induction before- about 3 yrs ago- and I lost 35 pounds over about 3 months.

I decided to restart induction on Nov 5th and i am pretty religiously following the under 20 carbs a day. I'm not eating any bars or shakes or low carb products. Here is a sample menu:

Brkfst:
2 eggs scrambled w/ about 2 tbsp shredded cheddar
1 tbsp salsa
1 tsp sour cream

Lunch:
Salad with
about 1 1/2 c mixed iceberg lettuce and spinach
1/4 of a cucumber
1/2 roma tomato
1 tbsp shredded cheddar
3 chopped white mushrooms
1 grilled chicken breast
(sometimes 1 hardboiled egg)
2 tbsp oil and vinegar

Snack- 1 string cheese

Dinner
Varies, but usually some kind of grilled meat (steak or chicken, no marinade) and salad.
Last night I made tilapia cooked with butter and a clove of garlic and
1 c fresh green beans cooked with 2 slices of bacon.

Oh, and I have been drinking a cup of echinacea tea about an hour before bed with 1 tsp of half and half and half a packet of splenda

Is there anything I shouldnt be eating? I feel very puffy and I am measuring inches and my natural waist went down about half an inch, but around my belly button and just below is actually larger.

Thanks!!!

Last edited by erica6381; 11-14-2008 at 05:31 AM.. Reason: forgot something
erica6381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 03:34 PM   #161
Senior LCF Member
 
Iffy336's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NC
Posts: 127
Gallery: Iffy336
WOE: LC
Start Date: restart 1/21
Quote:
Originally Posted by erica6381 View Post
Ok, I have completed induction before- about 3 yrs ago- and I lost 35 pounds over about 3 months.

I decided to restart induction on Nov 5th and i am pretty religiously following the under 20 carbs a day. I'm not eating any bars or shakes or low carb products. Here is a sample menu:

Brkfst:
2 eggs scrambled w/ about 2 tbsp shredded cheddar
1 tbsp salsa
1 tsp sour cream

Lunch:
Salad with
about 1 1/2 c mixed iceberg lettuce and spinach
1/4 of a cucumber
1/2 roma tomato
1 tbsp shredded cheddar
3 chopped white mushrooms
1 grilled chicken breast
(sometimes 1 hardboiled egg)
2 tbsp oil and vinegar

Snack- 1 string cheese

Dinner
Varies, but usually some kind of grilled meat (steak or chicken, no marinade) and salad.
Last night I made tilapia cooked with butter and a clove of garlic and
1 c fresh green beans cooked with 2 slices of bacon.

Oh, and I have been drinking a cup of echinacea tea about an hour before bed with 1 tsp of half and half and half a packet of splenda

Is there anything I shouldnt be eating? I feel very puffy and I am measuring inches and my natural waist went down about half an inch, but around my belly button and just below is actually larger.

Thanks!!!
Are you drinking any water? I think Atkins says drink a lot of water. That will help you out.
Iffy336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 02:30 PM   #162
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2
Gallery: frenchtoastnono
almost 2 weeks on induction and no result

I have been in small ketosis on the 2nd and thrid day. I have not really lost anything yet.
But now I am not even on ketosis anymore.
I ate peanuts and almonds yesterday.
I have not eaten any high carbs at all.
I ate some low carb ice cream but it only has 4 carbs.
I need help!!!!
frenchtoastnono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 02:57 PM   #163
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2
Gallery: frenchtoastnono
almost 2 weeks on induction and no result

I have been in small ketosis on the 2nd and thrid day. I have not really lost anything yet.
But now I am not even on ketosis anymore.
I ate peanuts and almonds yesterday.
I have not eaten any high carbs at all.
I ate some low carb ice cream but it only has 4 carbs.
I need help!!!!
frenchtoastnono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 07:06 AM   #164
Junior LCF Member
 
nspires's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 26
Gallery: nspires
Ahhhhhhh!

Week 2 of induction. Following the diet, lots of exercise (so sore today can hardly stand myself.) I lost 2 pounds in the first week and I was pretty excited about that. Gained it back plus two pounds this week. No changes in diet or exercise. Just TOM paying a visit. I am praying that is it! Just keep hanging on and pray that it reverses!
nspires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 02:31 PM   #165
Senior LCF Member
 
WickedCrafty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: KY
Posts: 240
Gallery: WickedCrafty
Stats: 228/205/175
Start Date: restart 1 May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by marley2 View Post
I hope someone can shed some light as to the discrepencies in Dr. Atkins and the new rule of 12-15. Also, I would like to know if the 12-15 are mandatory even if I am not hungry and not losing weight. Thanks!

I heard on another low carb board (not lcf) that the change came about after Dr Atkins passed away. It seems that when Atkins Nutritionals Inc took over and it became Atkins Nutritional Approach, they aren't exactly adhering to Dr Atkins original plan.
WickedCrafty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 07:52 AM   #166
Senior LCF Member
 
Fatbrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 981
Gallery: Fatbrat
Stats: 213/184/155
WOE: ATKINS!!
Start Date: 12/15/2008
I never could figure out exactly where the 10 to 15 carbs come in either but I know there are hidden carbs in everything and I figure my Coke Zero's probably have some in it. Since a 20 oz bottle is broke down nutritionally into 2.5 servings.. probably if they listed it as 1 serving there would be a carb or two...

I think anything commerically prepared is going to throw off the results to some extent.. (just my way of thinking no proof to back it up)...
Fatbrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 03:59 PM   #167
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: St Louis
Posts: 45
Gallery: lisa32989
Stats: 275/165/145
WOE: DANDR then Ideal Protein
Start Date: 7/32/2012 for IP
Dr A said to stay away from aspartame so I booted the Coke Zero (even tho its my fave)

And, yes, a 20 oz bottle is 2.5 servings so that is 2.5 servings of your 3 allowed servings of sweetener/day (Chap 18 DANDR).

Dr A said "no more than 20 g (carbs)/day" and "most of which should come from vegetables" and then he said "approximately" when he talked about the cups. I see the 12-15 g/carbs from veggies but I just skimmed my book and didn't find it (doesn't mean its not in there!)

He DOES have a couple a places where he kind of has some "double talk" so just stick to the food list and ust the 20 net max as your guide and you're good-to-go!

Works for me!
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:43 AM   #168
Senior LCF Member
 
Fatbrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 981
Gallery: Fatbrat
Stats: 213/184/155
WOE: ATKINS!!
Start Date: 12/15/2008
maybe increase the protein and fat each day. I did that the last few days and bingo ketosis and my scale is moving!
Fatbrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 03:55 PM   #169
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 104
Gallery: melanie120808
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: December 2008
i started at 162 and after two weeks dropped to about 156. today is my three week mark and all week i've been going back and forth from 154-156.... is this typical... i feel like i'm losing so slow.

A typical day for me is an egg or 2 for breakfast, 2 cups of romaine or iceburg lettuce with some type of chicken or tuna and a few mild pepper rings with 2 tbs ranch for lunch, and dinner is 8-12 ounces of chicken, ground beef or pork with a cup of veggies (usually brocolli or cucumber)

a snack would be 2 ounces of cheese or maybe 10-15 slices of pepperoni. If i am not in the mood to eat breakfast sometimes i substitute with a protein shake (3 carbs). Also every couple days i do drink a cup or 2 of coffee w a tablespoon of heavy whipping cream and a packet of splenda.

please comment
melanie120808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:50 AM   #170
Senior LCF Member
 
Fatbrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 981
Gallery: Fatbrat
Stats: 213/184/155
WOE: ATKINS!!
Start Date: 12/15/2008
I'm a newbie too but it really sounds like you are not eating enough! Your body may have gone into starvation thinking...and won't let go of any weight!

Maybe consult one of the people here on the lcf who have been here for a long time.
Fatbrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:46 AM   #171
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1
Gallery: annie16
advice needed

hie i would appreciate any advice, i'm new to atkins and the forum. i'm on day 4 of the induction and i'm worried that what i'm eating may be stopping me from losing because i haven't lost any weight and i'm confused??????? about how may calories i need to eat.
on a typical day i either have a low carb quiche (quiche has mushrooms, brocoli, cauliflower, burger meat) or an egg omlet,i snack on two boiled eggs with mayonaise,then i have some chicken and eggs for luch and fish and butternut squash for dinner.
i s too early for me to worry i just dont want to do mess this up because i need to lose weigt this time.
i'm 5 ft 3 and 200 pounds.

Last edited by annie16; 01-05-2009 at 08:48 AM..
annie16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 07:48 AM   #172
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: St Louis
Posts: 45
Gallery: lisa32989
Stats: 275/165/145
WOE: DANDR then Ideal Protein
Start Date: 7/32/2012 for IP
Hmm...I typed a ressponse but it didn't show up. Let's try again.
You might want to use Fit Day or another tracker so you can see Net Carbs more clearly.

Butternut squash isn't an Induction food. Do you have a copy of DANDR 02?
What are you cooking your chicken and fish in? You need to list those too so we know how much fat.
You don't track calories on Induction so don't worry about those.

What kind of chicken? How much? What kind of fish? How much?

On induction, you eat salad every day. Where is that?
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:29 PM   #173
Junior LCF Member
 
rnlove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Juneau, AK
Posts: 20
Gallery: rnlove
Stats: 175/165/135
WOE: VLC
Start Date: January 2009
Extended Induction FRUSTRATION.

I'm new to this Atkins thing, and am EXCITED I found this website.
I began Induction early/mid-January, and found it extremely difficult; I fell off the wagon after 8 days (during which I had DEFINITLEY noticed a significant reduction in my belly 'pouch' and love handles). After 4 or 5 days of eating whatever I wanted, I decided it was time to get back on and lose this baby weight!

Now I'm on day 15 of Induction; I'm happy to say it's been MUCH easier the second time around, and although I don't always pay tons of attention to what exactly I DO eat, and EXACT grams of carbs, I go by a general rule of "meat & vegetables is what I can eat." I do have a single yogurt every morning for my digestive health, and drink about a quart of water a day.

My problem is this: I seem to have completely stopped losing weight AND inches. I go through times during the day where I'm SUPER tired and can't keep my eyes open, even if I exercise, go outside, or splash some cold water on my face. I haven't gone grocery shopping for a few days, and consequently haven't been eating very much AT ALL; most days I believe I get less than 20g carbs.

I'm going on a trip to see my husband for the first time in 6 months in 9 days, and want to kick start this thing again so I can lose the rest of the weight - or at least SOME more.

Any advice? THANK YOU!!!
rnlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 06:25 PM   #174
Junior LCF Member
 
djohnso49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Pakm Beach County, Florida
Posts: 5
Gallery: djohnso49
Stats: 385/359/275
WOE: Atkins/EFGT
Start Date: 11/2008
The process of elimination?

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and feel soooooooo good knowing i'm not stumbling in the dark alone anymore. I'm always reading and would like to add my 1 cent

I read in an food allergy book that most common food allergies/intolerances come from soy products, nuts, eggs,wheat, and dairy. So i'm trying to eliminate cheese,creamer,sour cream, & cream cheese for 2-4 wks. (however long i can hold out) to see if this helps.We probably have mild allergies to common foods we enjoy every week.

I was also told by a co-worker to follow a yeast free diet so i eliminated those items as well that can support the growth of yeast and slow progress.... mayo,low carb ketchup/salsa,pickles,capers, olives, soy sauce, mushrooms,sauerkraut?, smoked/cured foods (jerky)

also, i just learned that liquid or tablet sweetners have no "fillers/carbs" so i switched to a liquid sweetener with zero carbs.

i'm desperate and lose very slowly and even though i don't abuse these items, i'm definitely going to try not using them at all

i don't exercise enough and i definitely need more water so hopefully this helps

dj
djohnso49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:33 PM   #175
Major LCF Poster!
 
tybeeanna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Northern, IL
Posts: 2,866
Gallery: tybeeanna
Stats: H286 }232VSG{ C162 G when I get there
WOE: low/carb 8-21-12
Start Date: 8/21/12
Welcome Dj I have to re-Induct Just cant get this weight going again. I also am going to get rid of the dairy I LIKE it TOOOOOOOOOOO much. This is a great site and lots of peeps hang out on the main lobby so if you have ?????s that would also be a good place to post ..Talk to you later.. good night
tybeeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 03:01 PM   #176
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 3
Stats: 229/209/135
WOE: Atkins- only lower fat/sodium ect.
Start Date: January 19th 2009
well It could be a lot of factors you could be retaining water, not getting enough fiber, to much protein,not enough calories to much or to little exercise as crazy as it sounds. I started 4 weeks ago today @ 229lbs and I lost 18.6 lbs so far, 14 inches, and 16.6 lbs of the lbs. lost was pure FAT! last week I only lost 1.2lbs, I exercised like crazy, drank tons of water but when I looked back not only was my fiber intake low but my calories on @ least 4 days was only like 600-800 calories. So keep track of all you eat. It will get better
skinny_ontheinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 07:03 PM   #177
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 8
Gallery: Fleal10326
Induction

How did you loose so much during induction? I need help.

Last edited by Fleal10326; 02-13-2009 at 07:09 PM..
Fleal10326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 04:05 PM   #178
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 303
Gallery: Wolfgang
Stats: 339/333/220; 6'2"
WOE: LC Vegetarian
Start Date: February 14, 2009 (Reboot Sept. 12, 2013)
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnso49 View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm new here and feel soooooooo good knowing i'm not stumbling in the dark alone anymore. I'm always reading and would like to add my 1 cent

I read in an food allergy book that most common food allergies/intolerances come from soy products, nuts, eggs,wheat, and dairy. So i'm trying to eliminate cheese,creamer,sour cream, & cream cheese for 2-4 wks. (however long i can hold out) to see if this helps.We probably have mild allergies to common foods we enjoy every week.

I was also told by a co-worker to follow a yeast free diet so i eliminated those items as well that can support the growth of yeast and slow progress.... mayo,low carb ketchup/salsa,pickles,capers, olives, soy sauce, mushrooms,sauerkraut?, smoked/cured foods (jerky)

also, i just learned that liquid or tablet sweetners have no "fillers/carbs" so i switched to a liquid sweetener with zero carbs.

i'm desperate and lose very slowly and even though i don't abuse these items, i'm definitely going to try not using them at all

i don't exercise enough and i definitely need more water so hopefully this helps

dj
I personally don't buy into the "common low grade food allergy" theories, but many people do (and some in fact DO HAVE genuine sensitivities), so choose your own path. What you're suggesting may be taking on a lot of factors at once to eliminate from your diet. Why not try Atkins Induction "straight"? You'll eliminate nuts, a lot of dairy (pretty much anything with lactose, which is sugar), and wheat just doing that, and you can choose to use more of the induction-friendly foods besides cheeses and processed meats anyway.

Trying to take on too much at once is a sure recipe for failure, so why not set yourself up for success? Induction is difficult enough as it is when you're just learning it!
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 05:14 PM   #179
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
BlueTopaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NE PA
Posts: 3,541
Gallery: BlueTopaz
Stats: 160/156/140
WOE: whatever works
Start Date: 10 years ago - Height 5' 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchtoastnono View Post
I have been in small ketosis on the 2nd and thrid day. I have not really lost anything yet.
But now I am not even on ketosis anymore.
I ate peanuts and almonds yesterday.
I have not eaten any high carbs at all.
I ate some low carb ice cream but it only has 4 carbs.
I need help!!!!


[COLOR="Blue"]Fre[/COLOR][COLOR="Blue"]nchtoastnono, I didn't think any nuts were allowed on Induction. Maybe that's your weight loss stall? Unless I'm thinking of an older version I've read a while ago and now it's allowed. Correct me gang if I am wrong.

I'd like to order another Atkins book but there so many, I don't know which to pick! I am skeptical about the versions after Dr. A died.

Open question to everyone: What Atkins Book version are you using and do you like it and why?[/COLOR]
BlueTopaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 01:48 PM   #180
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 303
Gallery: Wolfgang
Stats: 339/333/220; 6'2"
WOE: LC Vegetarian
Start Date: February 14, 2009 (Reboot Sept. 12, 2013)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
Dr A said to stay away from aspartame so I booted the Coke Zero (even tho its my fave)

And, yes, a 20 oz bottle is 2.5 servings so that is 2.5 servings of your 3 allowed servings of sweetener/day (Chap 18 DANDR).

Dr A said "no more than 20 g (carbs)/day" and "most of which should come from vegetables" and then he said "approximately" when he talked about the cups. I see the 12-15 g/carbs from veggies but I just skimmed my book and didn't find it (doesn't mean its not in there!)

He DOES have a couple a places where he kind of has some "double talk" so just stick to the food list and ust the 20 net max as your guide and you're good-to-go!

Works for me!
Coke Zero has aspartame? I thought it was Splenda, had to look it up! Well, you taught me something, so maybe I can help you out too... according to the Coca-Cola website "nutrition" facts (http://www.thecoca-colacompany.com/m..._nutrition.pdf) an 8 oz. serving has 0.1g of carbohydrates.

By the way, although I fully agree that staying away from sweeteners is a good idea, remember that the "packet" sweeteners have a carbohydrate "filler" in them to add volume so it's easier to use (the amount of aspartame or sucralose in a packet is actually a tiny fraction of the powder). That's the main reason why you count a packet as 1 carb. What they add into foods during production usually doesn't have this (no need), so although you should avoid sweeteners where possible, a glass of artificially sweetened tea from the grocery store jug will have less carb than if you take unsweetened tea and add packet sweetener.
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:25 PM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.