Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2007, 07:54 AM   #121
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ashley123
After the first 5 days of atkins induction I gained a little over a pound!! I don't know whats going on
ashley123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2007, 01:55 AM   #122
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: guardian
Stats: 232/222.6/182 (-9.4lbs)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2 jan 2012
Are you drinking enough and eating enough??
guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 08:12 AM   #123
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lynda99
Be a detective for problem foods. One time I didn't lose I was screwing up with Splenda carbs.
Lynda99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 05:44 AM   #124
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: daisyHair
Stats: 257/228/140
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: 5' 4" 50 Years Old
That is an EXCELLENT post!!!!!
don't you love knowing that even if it's 1/2 pounds it's FAT gone from your bod!!!

To me.. it's the only way.. I have had SO many other things that have improved.. the MOST important is the control I now have over my sugar cravings!!! It's saved my life (I was borderline diabetic).. No more Excema, no more heart burn.. my complexion is amazing now... and I am so excited..

I remember last time I was on Atkins I lost 60 pounds.. some weeks I didn't lose a pound and some (right before my TOM) I would gain a pound...

It works.. it's the only thing that has EVER worked for me..

Daisy
Old 06-13-2007, 01:27 PM   #125
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: xavierseve
Stats: 180/180/130
WOE: ATIKINS
Start Date: JUNE 6 2007
Just completed week one

I have lost nothing. but this is my second week I will Be counting calories a little no more than 2000 daily and beginning step classes. please wish me luck.

P.S Im 5'4 180lbs
xavierseve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 07:44 AM   #126
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pinky45
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Are you on thyroid medication? If you are not and have hypothyroidism, then you should be. I had a thyroidectomy many years ago and have been on thyroid hormone since my early 20's (I am in my late 40's now). I lose slowly, but I do lose. Pam
pinky45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 12:54 AM   #127
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: guardian
Stats: 232/222.6/182 (-9.4lbs)
Start Date: 2 jan 2012
My experience so far :
Products that stall me :
Atkins bars
Atkins shakes (the little once)
Coffee

So i don't say it will stall if you use it but just be carefull oke..
guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 11:52 AM   #128
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: dasiey
I have trouble with cheese also
dasiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 11:47 AM   #129
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lindak67
I've done this diet in the past and have had good success with it. My daughter and I started 3 weeks ago and she has lost almost 20 lbs and I have lost 12. For breakfast, we split 6 eggs (3 a piece) but we only add 2 yolks. I add a 1/4 teaspoon of cream or tartar, fresh parmasean cheese and fresh spinach and then top it with extra sharp cheddar - tastes like a quiche. We split a 1/2 lb of bacon.

Early afternoon we eat a 16oz Porterhouse with a stir fry of veggies - broccoli or cabbage, mushrooms and onions cooked in butter.

We watch the adds and buy the steaks on sale so we will have them on hand.

She drinks her 64 ozs of water a day but I drink mostly caffiene free diet pepsi - does that slow down my weight loss?

Also I was wondering about sugar free candy and puddings - they have carbs but no sugar - how much of this is it safe to eat?
lindak67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 10:01 AM   #130
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Christinab767
Stats: 211.6/195.6/150
WOE: LC 20-30 gms
Start Date: February 2008
Almost gave up...

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]And to think I was on the verge of giving up. I too have not been able to lose any weight. Lost almost 10 pounds first week, then I was gaining 3 pounds then losing 2, gaining 3, losing 2...ugh...but with all these stories, I have been give new hope. Thanks![/COLOR]
Christinab767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 10:18 AM   #131
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Christinab767
Stats: 211.6/195.6/150
WOE: LC 20-30 gms
Start Date: February 2008
[QUOTE=SaraS;6996976]Honestly, I would add more veggies. Also, when using ******, see if you can get your percentages to look more like this: 60-70%fat, 20-30% protein and 5% carbs.

I have a question - is the carbs net carbs? Because on ******, it shows carbs and fiber, but we do not get the percentage of fiber to subtract from the carb percentage. Maybe I'm just a dork and don't know how to figure it out.

I would appreciate some help on this though and thanks!
Christinab767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 01:06 PM   #132
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dbritt16
Stats: 182
Start Date: April 2008
I too after nearly three weeks am stalled while being in ketosis. I am frustrated but not yet ready to give up. My frustration led me to this site while searching for a "cure." Hang in there as I intend to do!!!!!
dbritt16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 09:22 AM   #133
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Moretta
Stats: 158.6/129/125
WOE: LC of some sort undecided which one
Start Date: March 28, 2008
I am also at sort of a stall.

I keep losing the .6 grams and then put it on.

I just can't seem to go down the next number on the scale. Help!!
Moretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 04:44 AM   #134
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: neenaE
Stats: 318/163/145
WOE: Atkins and exercise since Nov.2003
Start Date: 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
I have just recently rejoined these boards after almost four years away. I did Atkins before and lost twenty pounds. (I am post-menopausal and an extremely slow loser)

I have plenty of sympathy for those of you in ketosis who are not seeing a pay-off on the scale because I have been in that situation myself. But realize that this doesn't mean you are not losing fat! One of the oddities of Atkins is that sometimes when you are losing fat, your body thinks it will keep those fat cells at the ready by filling them with water. If you look around on these boards, I'm sure you will find many references to this phenomena. Anyway, maybe my experience will help you:

I went on Atkins for the first time about four years ago. It was June 1st. I lost about four pounds in the first week of ketosis; second week two pounds; then ... nothing!
Week after week I had the bad breath and metallic taste in my mouth so I knew I was in ketosis, but the scale stayed the same. The only thing that kept me on Atkins was inertia --- I had lost most of my appetite, which was nice, and the diet was actually easier for me than my normal way of eating, as far as food prep.

Still, for two months, no weight loss, not an ounce. Then, when I had given up hope and was not even weighing my self regularly (too depressing), I suddenly lost 10 pounds! No one loses 10 pounds of fat in one week unless they are starv-ing. "Something" strange happened. The next week I lost six pounds.

When I say I lost this weight I don't mean that it came off a little at a time through the week; it was one day there and the next day gone. Since that time I have had many people tell me of similar experiences. I hope you will stick to it and stay on the diet. Think of it as an experiment in this very (in my opinion) weird way of losing weight.
Thanks for this. I am suffering the exact same situation. Every morning I wake up expecting a woosh. I am always disapointed with usually a gain, or a loss that returns the weight in a day or 2. I will not give up. I am on induction yet again. I cleaned it up abit. I pray for some sort of progress soon.
Thanks again!!!
Calories Eaten Today
grams cals %total
Total: 1402
Fat: 82 741 55%
Sat: 32 288 21%
Poly: 6 58 4%
Mono: 24 219 16%
Carbs: 15 51 4%
Fiber: 2 0 0%
Protein: 142 566 42%
Alcohol: 0 0 0%
neenaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 04:05 AM   #135
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: slimlizzie
Stats: 186/180/148 fully clothed
WOE: LC
Start Date: 1999
May I join in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moretta View Post
I am also at sort of a stall.

I keep losing the .6 grams and then put it on.

I just can't seem to go down the next number on the scale. Help!!
Exactly.. maybe I need to up the water..and forget the SF jello for a bit.

Menu 6-2-08
B. 1 egg omlet with mushrooms and bacon

L. 4oz. Boiled shrimp with 3T butter

D. Grilled Chicken/ SF jello

olive chicken salad about a 1/4 C.salad...I get bored and EAT I'd like to stop by 6 or 7 pm

Thanks for any help I can get..
slimlizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 06:51 PM   #136
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SlimDown'08
Hi and thank you for this info, for I am on induction also and am actually feeling like I am getting fatter -- ure hope my fat cells are holding water and are ready to RELEASE!!!!
SlimDown'08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 07:10 PM   #137
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cbabe
Stats: 163/146.5/135 (5'4)
WOE: low carb
Start Date: April 2008
Hi everyone

this is post #3 for me.

I started induction in April. I lost 10 pounds in the first two weeks. Then, as I allowed myself to incorporate a few more carbs, since then I've dropped another four. So, it definitely slowed down.

Now, I feel stalled. I'm not gaining, but I'm not dropping either. Though, it's true you do still seem to lose inches which is great. In the last 2 days I've had people who I don't see all the time bring up to me that I look thinner. That's a good motivator.

I decided on Monday that since I felt stalled, I'd go back into induction mode. Haven't gotten on the scale yet though.

What I can't figure out is that I feel bloated right now. I shouldn't. I'm wondering why it's happening and if maybe it's just a "girl" TOM thing, though it's not quite that time yet.
cbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 06:14 AM   #138
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: 2big4mysize
Stats: 313 to current goalie 169-173
WOE: Atkins 2002
Start Date: june 1 2002
if you added a new food before the bloat it could be a food intolerance. just remove that new food and see if the bloat goes away.

When we follow the Atkins plan both the eating and mandatory exercise part we will be adding lean body tissues as our body takes the larger thenUSDA protein amunts and builds more tissues stores all the amion acids it can and converts the rest to glucose for the body parts that need glucose as fuel cause they lack mitochondrias. This storage can add pounds of lean body tissue as we burn off body fat for fuel for those parts that have mitochondrias and can burn ketones and fatty acids as fuel. The scale only measures the force of gravity on your toal mass. it has no idea if you gained a pound of lean tissue shed 2 pounds of body fat and since you are feeling bloated added some water pounds too. All it knows it the change in your toal mass which was why Dr Atkins said measure to see the inches of body fat being burned off even when the scale will not validate your hard work.

Stalls are defined as no loss of scale weight NOR inches for 4 weeks. Since you are shedding inches as you morph your body working your Atkins you are not stalled and need to keep going with your OWL plan. What rung are you on?
2big4mysize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 02:03 PM   #139
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: maizenbluebabe
Stats: 182.0/168.4/150
WOE: LowCarb, JUDDD
Start Date: June 08
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimlizzie View Post
May I join in?

Exactly.. maybe I need to up the water..and forget the SF jello for a bit.

Menu 6-2-08
B. 1 egg omlet with mushrooms and bacon

L. 4oz. Boiled shrimp with 3T butter

D. Grilled Chicken/ SF jello

olive chicken salad about a 1/4 C.salad...I get bored and EAT I'd like to stop by 6 or 7 pm

Thanks for any help I can get..
Maybe you might want to consider your overall daily sodium intake and see if that might be making a contribution to your stall..

I am extremely sodium sensitive and read the sodium content of EVERYTHING! Some years ago, my very wise ob-gyn made the following comment to me when my bp started going up during pregnancy: "the average person doesnt need a saltshaker--they get all the daily sodium they will ever need if they eat just two slices of purchased bread per day." Of course, I dont eat storebought bread now, and avoid most "processed" foods of any kind, but it is good to keep in mind that the bacon, cheese, and olives we may eat on Atkins are often pretty heavily loaded with sodium.

What an irony that many foods pitched by manufacturers (soups for example) as "healthy eating" or "diet foods" are so loaded with salt that if you ate much of it, you'd be headed for Strokesville in a hurry. (My pet peeve: they make sure there's no fat in these "healthy" foods so they either add sugar or salt in an attempt to make them taste good.) (And dont ever let anyone in your family eat those little flavored Ramen noodle cups--they taste great but they are killers.

I dont know about the rest of you, but if I dont watch my sodium intake like a hawk , I can swell up overnight like a poisoned pup and gain 5-6 pounds while doing it. (And if you need to watch your sodium intake, dont believe the hype about Sea salt--it is still sodium.)

Last edited by maizenbluebabe; 06-24-2008 at 02:05 PM..
maizenbluebabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 03:56 PM   #140
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: laceymichelle
Stats: 150/127/125
Start Date: July 12
Wow! thanks for this!~ This is what I needed to hear. I have tried Atkins before, never making it past induction, but after a few days have always lost a few pounds. This time, really motivated to be a lifer and do the diet the correct way, I have been on induction for 2 1/2 weeks and have lost nothing! The only thing in my diet that I thought could be stalling my weight loss was a few 2mg nicotine lozenges a day....they each contain 1mg sugar alcohol (which Atkins says does not effect blood sugar). But I do try and count each one as 1 splenda...so I try no to go over my 3-4 splenda packs a day. Your blog gives me hope that maybe I will lose one day like u did...all the sudden. I just had a baby and I prob. have about 20lbs to go....Any advice? Thanks!!
Love,
Lacey
laceymichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 02:43 PM   #141
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Katie914
Stats: 155/135
WOE: Stillman's QWL
Start Date: 08/31/08
Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyUpTheGirl View Post
Oh I am sooo glad to hear that! Congrats! I hope I can report the same kind of news on Monday, lol. I feel SOOOOOOOOOOOO bloated today! OMG, I feel like all the weight I've lost is back, lol. And I would weigh myself today, but I know better than to do that.... the scale is really controlling over me Does anyone else ever have days/weeks where you feel like sooo fat and like all your hard work is for nothing? Or is it just me? Lol maybe I'm just a weirdo..... But I always keep on truckin'
Like everyday!! and im always so tired and bloated too!!!! lets hang in there together!!!
Katie914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 02:55 PM   #142
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Katie914
Stats: 155/135
WOE: Stillman's QWL
Start Date: 08/31/08
how integral are getting in the lc veggies to weight loss during induction??
Katie914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 07:33 PM   #143
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: henabena08
Stats: 228/185/135
Start Date: 6/27/08
Hi EO!! My name is Hellena or everyone just calls me Hena. I am very new to the low carb Atkins dieting scene, and I hope that I can read other posts and keep the encouragement to continue on this diet. I am very bad at dieting, but I am really determined to lose weight. I started my diet last week and have lost about 3 pounds. I am hoping to keep on going since about 6 months ago i weighed 228 (eek) and am now down to 185. I want to get back to my old weight (135-140 ish.) I have pcos which makes it even harder to lose weight however my cousin lost a lot of weight on this life style and has kept it off (about 90 pounds.) Any help or input would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you
henabena08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 11:42 AM   #144
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: fastlerner
Stats: 253/217/190
Start Date: 4/29/08
I started back at the end of April at about 253. A little over a week ago I had made it down to 219, but couldn't seem to budge it any further.

After over a week of watching the scales bounce around (down one day, up the next) I started reading on this forum. Turns out that I wasn't getting enough calories! My appetite had declined so much after a almost 2 months on the diet that I just wasn't eating enough.

So that night I got home from work and cooked myself a big fat ribeye. Imagine my surprise the next morning when the scale showed just over a 1 pound drop!

I'm still not dropping as fast as I'd like, but at least it's progressing again. Don't give up guys! As was mentioned in a post above, do your detective work. Chances are it may be something you're eating (or NOT eating).
fastlerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 05:32 AM   #145
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Maria527
Stats: 135/121/115
WOE: Primal/Paleo
Start Date: August 12, 2008
When I first started Atkins a few weeks ago, I saw this thread and thought, "How in the world can anyone get stuck on induction unless they aren't doing it right?" Well, here I am, stuck on induction! I lost 6 pounds in the first week, then gained 2 back and stalled.

I started an aerobics class last week and have also tried to get into a walking routine.

I drink huge amounts of water and eat plenty of meat, eggs, and a salad each day. I use NO crazy diet products, bars, shakes, etc. The only thing I do not follow is the caffeine free coffee. I drink my regular coffee with a bit of sugar free hazelnut coffeemate and a splenda packet (it's my only vice!).

I think I'm doing everything right and just need to be patient while my body adjusts to the new exercise routine. Perhaps I'm eating right but eating too much in quantity.

I did discover the one-minute muffin and have had one almost every day. Has anyone had issues with weight stalls and the muffin?

Maria
Maria527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:13 AM   #146
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: karmarepair
First timer - Day 6 in Induction and not a pound less. Usually how long does it take to show the difference.
I was wondering if macadamia nuts and no sugar guacamole stalls the effects.
karmarepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 11:23 AM   #147
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Maria527
Stats: 135/121/115
WOE: Primal/Paleo
Start Date: August 12, 2008
You should have at least dropped some water weight by now. Nuts are not permitted during induction, but I would think a reasonable amount of gucamole would be ok... if you're not overdoing it. I believe 1/2 of an avocado is permitted.

Make sure you're only eating permissable foods (and watch out for the hidden sugar and carbs), and also that you are not overeating. I started off thinking if I was eating a no carb food... that it was ok to eat as much as I wanted (or gorged, rather!). I'm trying to practice better portion control now and I'm seeing better results.

Drink plenty of water and start walking for a least 1/2 hour a day. That might help get your metabolism going. And I try to stop eating by 6 p.m. Seems like on the nights I eat late, I do not see as much (if any) weight loss. So I eat heavier early in the day and then light in the evening. If I start having urges in the evening, I find that a cup of tea appeases me.

Good luck!
Maria527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 01:44 PM   #148
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: karmarepair
Thanks for the reply maria40nc, I am eating just 1/4 avacado every alternate day. I will try eating my dinner early, as I am eating it late.
I was kind of sick since I started this and now feeling a little better, I will start working out. I came across some yeast related posts and though I don't show all that sysmptoms, I will stop eating cheese for a while.
By the way I am in Ketosis, my strips are turning pink.
Weight - 168 lbs
Height - 5.3"

Goal 128 lbs. 40 lbs...to go.
karmarepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 06:03 PM   #149
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: soldierswife
Stats: 140/129/110
Hi everyone! I posted my first post earlier today and didn't get any responses. I'm new here and looking for a bit of guidance. I'm finishing up Day 12 of induction today. I lost 4 pounds the first week, and then lost two more and now have gained it back. I have been measuring and haven't lost any inches though...=( I would rather lose inches than pounds so as not to think it's all water weight. I have a couple questions if anyone has time!:
1) how do you get anywhere near 20g of carbs in induction? By eating ONLY the foods listed in the book, the only real carbs come from cheese (3-4 max per day), eggs (i may eat 1 or 2 @ 1 carb each), and lc veggies. Since you get 2 cups of salad veggies and 1 cup of other veggies....I find it impossible to hit anywhere near 20 grams per day and DEFINITELY am not getting 12-15 from veggies. How do you? Lettuce for a salad has practically nothing!

2) Why would I have not lost any inches so far =/ ?

Thanks everyone! Everyone here seems really friendly, I hope I get some replies this time!
soldierswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 06:37 AM   #150
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: marley2
Stats: 158/145/130
Start Date: Sept. 1, 2008
I too am confused about the veggies. When I tried induction with MUCH success 10 years ago, I ate enough to satisfy (being careful to eat only LC veggies). The weight came off very quickly. (50 lbs in a few months). 1-1/2 years ago 20 + pound crept back on...Now, I understand that you MUST eat 20 net carbs a day with 12-15 of those coming from LC veggies. Didn't Dr. Atkins say 2-3 cup of salad or 2 cups of salad and 1 cup of LC veggies? That doesn't equal 20 net carbs???? When did it change and why? Do you really need to eat 20 carbs/day even if I am not hungry? I haven't lost anything on induction and no change in the clothing tighness either. I have tried cutting the carb level down and now I am losing very slowly. (1/2 lb. per week) Is this the wrong thing to do? Should I just stay the course with 20 net carbs/day will the weight loss eventually start?
marley2 is offline   Reply With Quote