Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2007, 07:59 PM   #61
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DizzyUpTheGirl
Stats: 249.8/231(restart)/190(mini-goal)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 8, 2007... Restart AGAIN 9/16/10 @ 231
Good Luck!

Dreamcometru, good luck to you for Tuesday's big weigh in! I weigh in tomorrow morning..... blah! I've had one of those days all weekend where I feel sooo FAT and blah! Lol, you know what I mean? Anyways, good luck to you hun ! Thanks for all of the advice!!!
DizzyUpTheGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2007, 08:23 PM   #62
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Dreamcometru
Start Date: November 2006
Hi Dizzy

Thought I would report on the weigh in. Down 3.9 lbs. I need to stop complaining. It took long enough though cause I didn't see a loss for over two weeks. Perhaps this is a lesson to just hang in there. I'm set on it. I've never been a thin person so I can't wait to see what its like.
Dreamcometru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 01:51 PM   #63
Senior LCF Member

Yay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamcometru View Post
Thought I would report on the weigh in. Down 3.9 lbs. I need to stop complaining. It took long enough though cause I didn't see a loss for over two weeks. Perhaps this is a lesson to just hang in there. I'm set on it. I've never been a thin person so I can't wait to see what its like.

Oh I am sooo glad to hear that! Congrats! I hope I can report the same kind of news on Monday, lol. I feel SOOOOOOOOOOOO bloated today! OMG, I feel like all the weight I've lost is back, lol. And I would weigh myself today, but I know better than to do that.... the scale is really controlling over me Does anyone else ever have days/weeks where you feel like sooo fat and like all your hard work is for nothing? Or is it just me? Lol maybe I'm just a weirdo..... But I always keep on truckin'
Old 01-26-2007, 09:09 AM   #64
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Hi Dizzy

Thanks for the congrats. Your day will come soon. I HATE my scale. I'm too reliant on it to make me feel good from day to day and when it tells me I'm up a couple of lbs, I feel horrible. You are wise not to weigh in until Monday. I hope when I do on Tuesday, I have another good report. But as usual, my scale at home says NOT!

Yes, I have those bloaty days. Ugh. I'm old enough that I get swollen ankles. Gross, huh. Anyway, then when the bloating decides to leave me I have to go to the bathroom every hour. I have to walk by the receptionist at work to go and I think she thinks I have a problem or I'm crazy or something. Oh well.

Good luck on Monday.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:32 PM   #65
Senior LCF Member

Hi Dreamcomtru

Hey girl,thanks for the post for the past like 3 consecutive days I have been feeling like a pregnant cow or something, lol. The bloating finally decreased a little bit today, lol. I think i'm going to drink some green tea over the weekend to help flush out all this water! I wish you the best of luck on Tuesday! I'm dreading weighing in because of my TOM.... Lol. Have a good weekend
Old 01-31-2007, 07:57 PM   #66
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Edwards20
WOE: LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyUpTheGirl View Post
I think i'm going to drink some green tea over the weekend to help flush out all this water!
Does this really work ? I have been drinking some of the Diet Lipton Green Tea -- occasionally. If it flushes you out, perhaps I should start chugging it.
Edwards20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 09:59 PM   #67
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Green Tea and Daikon Radish

I've heard that both of these things are metabolism movers. Could be a myth though. I looked up daikon on line and a couple of sites do say it is helpful to speed metabolism. My husband got on a green tea kick a couple of years back when he heard the same thing on about it on some documentary TV show.
Dreamcometru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 08:28 AM   #68
Senior LCF Member

Green Tea

I drank some of the Lipton's green tea and it really flushed me out! I'm starting to get on this big tea kick too, lol... I think my boyfriend thinks I'm losing my mind
Old 02-01-2007, 01:54 PM   #69
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Shirl1
Stats: 200/180/140
Start Date: restart 1/1/07
Does Green Tea really help? I have heard it does, maybe I will start drinking it instead of coffee.
Shirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 04:04 PM   #70
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirl1 View Post
Does Green Tea really help? I have heard it does, maybe I will start drinking it instead of coffee.
Green tea does help to rid your body of toxins and such... So if you drink green tea, especially for the first time I would recommend doing so on the weekend or on a day off of work. The reason being that you'll probably have to use the restroom quite often to "rid" your body of those toxins, hehe.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:02 PM   #71
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Edwards20
WOE: LC
Well, I guess we learn something new every day. My co-worker has given me a few bottles and I love them. I did notice the other day when I drank one, that I kept making potty trips. She was laughing at me, and said the tea wasn't making her pee. So, with that said, I will purchase some Diet Lipton Citrus Green Tea.
Edwards20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 05:40 AM   #72
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cigmo
Stats: 135/135/122 ~ 5'7"
WOE: atkins, atkins '72, modified l/c, anything goes
Start Date: June 2007
Hi, as a newbie to this forum, I thought i would just jump in and share. I have been on induction for 4 weeks and have not lost any weight. My background is that I have done ATkins before, a few years ago with great success. This time it seems to be going a bit differantly. I weigh 145 lbs. and am 5'6". I realize that it sounds as though I really do not need to lose a lot of weight, but I am aware of excess fat I want GONE..LOL Anyway, so I am really following the diet closely. I exercise extensively, take my vitamins, get aequate rest and still zero results. So I have remained patient and am still plugging away and just hoping for results. My clothes fit the same so I do not feel as though I am losing inches.

I am consuming coconut oil 3 times a day in order to maximize my metabolism. OH yeah, and I forgot to mention, I quit smoking about 6 weeks ago. I fear this has affected my metabo......

So, I was wondering if anybody had advice??? Is this WOE not right for me??? (I hope that is not the case) Should I stick it out???

I would appreciate ANY input as I am soo discouraged!!!

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!
cigmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 01:14 PM   #73
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: sjmiller
Stats: 182/125/125
Start Date: 12/29/03
If you want to tell us exactly what you're eating, that would help.

Are you getting 12-15 net carbs a day from vegetables?

Are you drinking a minimum of 64 ounces of water?

I imagine you don't have that many pounds to lose, so it will be slower for you.
sjmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 09:57 AM   #74
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rainabear
Stats: 212.5/207/149
WOE: EFGT
Start Date: 9/24/07
cigmo - You may be eating too many calories for your weight to lose. When you were on Atkins before, were you at a higher weight?
rainabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 07:26 PM   #75
Senior LCF Member

Hey guys.... I only lost like close to a pound last week... I felt so dissapointed! But I did have the flu and I was eating sugar free cough drops... like three bags thru out the week, lol. I'm thinking that maybe that had something to do with it.... What do you guys think?
Old 02-10-2007, 07:56 AM   #76
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: AudreyPowers
Stats: 187/187/160
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: 02/25/2007
I just started Atkins on 01/29/2007. I have lost ZERO. I eat lots broccoli, eggs, chicken and venison. I do have coffee a couple times a week no cream and Splenda. I was putting crystal light in my water to help me drink enough, but now I found out that was BAD??? What else am I doing wrong. I just can't believe that crystal light alone completely stops my weight loss. HELP!!!
AudreyPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 11:08 PM   #77
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: fullfiguredmom
Stats: 250/240/145?
Start Date: 2/5/07
Hi I'm new to this, this is my first post. Audrey, you may want to incorporate more lettuce, and drink more water, 8 oz for every 25lbs you want to get rid of. My husband was having a problem losing too, but we increased his carbs to 25 for a day and he lost four pounds. I hope this helps some. You may also want to add heavy cram and or cheese to your diet. Only 12-15 carbs of the 20 should come from veggies.

Last edited by fullfiguredmom; 02-10-2007 at 11:10 PM..
fullfiguredmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 06:10 AM   #78
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: AudreyPowers
Stats: 187/187/160
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: 02/25/2007
I eat baby spinach instead of regular lettuce so I can get more vitamins, and I was drinking lots of water. It has slowed since I stopped using flavors (crystal light on the go packets). I am going to do induction for one more week to give it a good effort, but if nothing happens after that I think I am done.
AudreyPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 06:28 AM   #79
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Acura
Stats: 5'9 Start BMI 53.3 310 7/22/2007
WOE: RNY exercise, lots and lots of cardo
Start Date: 7/22/2007
I have been Low barbing it for two weeks and not cheating at all, and the scale only says 3 lbs

I only count weight on Mondays, and maybe it because my monthly friends is just a week aways but iits going to be depressing if I have low carbed for the stick all show pinkish / purple and I just looose 3 lbs in over 2 weeks :-( I am a little depressed this morning. Tomorrow I will weigh in and post that as my new weight and check my mesurements as well.
Acura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 05:07 AM   #80
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Joy24
Stats: 213 1st Mini goal 185 Goal 170
WOE: WOE Induction
Start Date: restart 01/25/2008
stalled or gained

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetsgirl View Post
I'm just starting the program and weigh 165.25. I am looking to lose 20 lbs but was told I'd have a hard time since I have hypothyroidism, anyone else have this problem and what can I do to boost the amount of weight I need to lose?

My husband is on the program to so I have lots of built in support. He needs to lose 50lbs.

Any advice would be appreciated. I'm hungry constantly, but I don't eat that way, just three meals a day and no sugar of white anything.

Thanks to all and good luck!
Me too Induction my 8th day and nothing......... Im doing everything good and nothing off the scale. Im eating right around 20carbs a day. I did Atkins before and lose 70lbs whats the problem now. I know Im going through my changes had not had my menses in 2 months maybe thats why? I was wondering whats holding the weight on Joy
Joy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 08:52 AM   #81
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

If you want to post exactly what you're eating, we can take a look.

Are you eating a minimum of 12-15 net carbs from vegetables every day?

Are you drinking a minimum of 64 oz of water every day?
Old 03-02-2007, 05:46 PM   #82
Senior LCF Member

Nothing

Hi me also nothing 8 days on induction keto is dark pink and hav not lose a single OZ. why? i dont understand why its not working for me it did in the past and not now i cannot take it anymore I need to lose this weight. does anyone have any suggestions for me Please Joy
Old 03-02-2007, 08:29 PM   #83
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy24 View Post
Hi me also nothing 8 days on induction keto is dark pink and hav not lose a single OZ. why? i dont understand why its not working for me it did in the past and not now i cannot take it anymore I need to lose this weight. does anyone have any suggestions for me Please Joy
Without knowing what you're eating, in quantity and carbs, it's hard to make a suggestion!

If you want to post that, be happy to look!
Old 03-03-2007, 06:53 AM   #84
Senior LCF Member

ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmiller View Post
Without knowing what you're eating, in quantity and carbs, it's hard to make a suggestion!

If you want to post that, be happy to look!
Menu
breakfast 2 eggs with turkey bacon or rst beef
1 oz cheese
2 cups coffee with stevia and 1 tb of half and half
3 - 12oz glasses of water

Lunch tuna fish or chicken salad on bed of greens with cucumber
water 16 oz

Dinner either a burger with brocoli, or chicken.......
water

2 cups decaf coffee
SF jello 1cup with 3 tb of whipped cream 1 gm sugar

thats all i eat all day whats wrong with this Joy
Old 03-03-2007, 08:47 AM   #85
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy24 View Post
Menu
breakfast 2 eggs with turkey bacon or rst beef
1 oz cheese
2 cups coffee with stevia and 1 tb of half and half
3 - 12oz glasses of water

Lunch tuna fish or chicken salad on bed of greens with cucumber
water 16 oz

Dinner either a burger with brocoli, or chicken.......
water

2 cups decaf coffee
SF jello 1cup with 3 tb of whipped cream 1 gm sugar

thats all i eat all day whats wrong with this Joy
What's the carb count on your vegetables? You need 12-15 net carbs from vegetables, and I don't see that. What's the carb count on the rest of your food? I see at least 4 carbs in coffee, and if you're eating enough vegetables, that's a lot of coffee.

If the whipped cream you're having is coming out of a can, and it's sweetened with sugar (maybe it's RediWhip?)... it's NOT Atkins friendly. If you can't get the Land o Lakes sweetened with Splenda, then buy heavy cream and whip it yourself.

Also, you may simply be not eating enough food. I don't think you're eating enough vegetables for sure.

Are you getting a minimum of 64 ounces of water???

You might want to get rid of the jello... it's not "real" food and one of the points of Induction is to break your addiction to sweets.
Old 03-03-2007, 04:12 PM   #86
Senior LCF Member

SJmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmiller View Post
What's the carb count on your vegetables? You need 12-15 net carbs from vegetables, and I don't see that. What's the carb count on the rest of your food? I see at least 4 carbs in coffee, and if you're eating enough vegetables, that's a lot of coffee.

If the whipped cream you're having is coming out of a can, and it's sweetened with sugar (maybe it's RediWhip?)... it's NOT Atkins friendly. If you can't get the Land o Lakes sweetened with Splenda, then buy heavy cream and whip it yourself.

Also, you may simply be not eating enough food. I don't think you're eating enough vegetables for sure.

Are you getting a minimum of 64 ounces of water???

You might want to get rid of the jello... it's not "real" food and one of the points of Induction is to break your addiction to sweets.
On the veggies. how do I know how many carbs im eating from it? can i eat the jello without the whipped cream?how do you count 12-14 carbs from veggies? and what about the carbs for the rest of the days food? thats alot of carbs to eat just on salad and veggies. not counting breakfast and lunch and dinner? can you post me a menu to follow with foods i can have daily so i can see what i need to eat? Please Thanks for yuor help Joy
Old 03-03-2007, 04:32 PM   #87
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PghPALady1974
WOE: thru my mouth
[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Joy,
Have you picked up a book yet? I am once again urging it. It is an important tool!

You haven't said if your clothes are fitting different. Yes, you can eat jello w/o the whipped cream. I also recomended the Land O Lakes whipped cream a couple days ago. It made w/ Splenda instead of sugar.

Are you still using ******? That is the best way to figure out how many carbs you are getting form veggies or anything you eat. You have to make sure you change the quantity though.

It was mentioned above that you were getting 4 carbs from coffee. Not everyone counts coffee carbs. It is entirely up to you on that one. Since you seem to be having a problem, you may want to at first.

The following is from the Atkins website with the list of foods for induction. Here is the link for it also. Please go thru the site. Although I recomend staying away from the processed Atkins products they mention are ok. [/COLOR]

[COLOR="Blue"]
http://www.atkins.com/articles/atkins-phases/phase-one

Acceptable Foods

These are the foods you may eat liberally during Induction:

All fish,
including ...
All fowl,
including ... All shellfish,
including ...
All meat,
including ... All eggs,
including ...
tuna
chicken
oysters*
beef
scrambled

salmon turkey mussels*
pork fried
sole duck duck lamb poached
trout goose clams bacon** soft-boiled
flounder Cornish hen squid veal hard-boiled
sardines quail shrimp ham**
deviled
herring pheasant crabmeat venison omelets

*Oysters and mussels are higher in carbs than other shellfish, so limit them to four ounces per day.

**Processed meats, such as ham, bacon, pepperoni, salami, hot dogs and other luncheon meats—and some fish—may be cured with added sugar and will contribute carbs. Try to avoid meat and fish products cured with nitrates, which are known carcinogens. Also beware of products that are not exclusively meat, fish or fowl, such as imitation fish, meatloaf and breaded foods. Finally, do not consume more than four ounces of organ meats a day.

OTHER FOODS THAT ARE ACCEPTABLE DURING INDUCTION
Cheese
You can consume three to four ounces daily of the following full-fat, firm, soft and semisoft aged cheeses*, including:

cheddar
cow, sheep and goat cheese
cream cheese
Gouda
mozzarella
Roquefort and other blue cheeses
Swiss

*All cheeses have some carbohydrate content. The quantity you eat should be governed by that knowledge. The rule of thumb is to count 1 ounce of cheese as equivalent to 1 gram of carbohydrate. Note that cottage cheese, farmer’s cheese and other fresh cheeses are not permitted during Induction. No "diet" cheese, cheese spreads or whey cheeses are permitted. Individuals with known yeast symptoms, dairy allergy or cheese intolerance must avoid cheese. Imitation cheese products are not allowed, except for soy or rice cheese—but check the carbohydrate content.

Vegetables
You should eat 12-15 net carbs a day of vegetables. These salad vegetables are high in phytonutrients and provide a good source of fiber:

alfalfa sprouts
daikon
mushrooms
arugula
endive
parsley
bok choy
escarole
peppers
celery
fennel
radicchio
chicory
jicama
radishes
chives
lettuce
romaine lettuce
cucumber
mâche
sorrel

Other Vegetables
Within the 12-15 net carb daily vegetable requirement, these vegetables are slightly higher in carbohydrate content than the salad vegetables listed above, but they also provide important nutrients and add variety to your daily food intake:

artichoke
celery root
pumpkin
artichoke hearts
rhubarb
asparagus
chard
sauerkraut
bamboo shoots
collard greens
scallions
dandelion
snow peas
bean sprouts
dandelion greens
spaghetti squash
beet greens
eggplant
spinach
broccoli
hearts of palm
string or wax beans
broccoli rabe
kale
summer squash
Brussels sprouts
kohlrabi
tomato
bean sprouts
leeks
turnips
cabbage
okra
water chestnuts
cauliflower
onion
zucchini

If a vegetable, such as spinach or tomato, cooks down significantly, it must be measured raw so as not to underestimate its carb count.

Salad Garnishes

crumbled crisp bacon
grated cheese
minced hard-boiled egg
sautéed mushrooms
sour cream
Spices
All spices to taste, but make sure none contain added sugar.
Herbs
basil
garlic
rosemary
cayenne pepper
ginger
sage
cilantro
oregano
tarragon
dill
pepper
thyme

For salad dressing, use oil and vinegar or lemon juice and herbs and spices. Prepared salad dressings without added sugar and no more than two carbs per tablespoon serving are also fine.

Acceptable Fats and Oils
Many fats, especially certain oils, are essential to good nutrition. Olive oil is particularly valuable. All other vegetable oils are allowed, the best being canola, walnut, soybean, grapeseed, sesame, sunflower and safflower oils, especially if they are labeled "cold-pressed" or "expeller-pressed." Do not cook polyunsaturated oils, such as corn, soybean and sunflower oil, at high temperatures or allow to brown or smoke.

Butter is allowed. Margarine should be avoided, not because of its carbohydrate content, but because it is usually made of trans fats (hydrogenated oils), which are a health hazard. (Some nonhydrogenated margarines are now available.)
You don't have to remove the skin and fat from meat or fowl. Salmon and other cold-water fish are an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids.

Remember that trying to do a low-fat version of the Atkins Nutritional ApproachTM may interfere with fat burning and derail your weight loss.

Artificial Sweeteners
You must determine which artificial sweeteners agree with you, but the following are allowed: sucralose (marketed as Splenda™), saccharin, cyclamate and acesulfame-K. Natural sweeteners ending in the suffix "-ose," such as maltose, etc., should be avoided. However, most sugar alcohols have a minimal effect on blood sugar and are acceptable.

Saccharin has been extensively studied, and harmful effects were produced in the lab when fed to rats only in extremely high doses. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has removed saccharin from its list of carcinogens, basing its decision upon a thorough review of the medical literature and the National Institute of Science’s statement that there is "no clear association between saccharin and human cancer." It can be safely consumed in moderation, meaning no more than three packets a day. Saccharin is marketed as Sweet'n Low™.

The Atkins preference, however, is sucralose (Splenda™), the only sweetener made from sugar. Sucralose is safe, noncaloric and does not raise blood sugar. It has been used in Canada for years, and the FDA approved it after reviewing more than 100 studies conducted over the past 20 years. Note that each packet of sugar substitute contains about 1 gram of carbohydrate, so don’t forget to include the amount in your daily totals.

Acceptable Beverages
Be sure to drink a minimum of eight eight-ounce glasses of water each day, including:

Filtered water
Mineral water
Spring water
Tap water

Additionally, you can have the following:

Clear broth/bouillon (not all brands; read the label)
Club soda
Cream, heavy or light (limit to two to three tablespoons a day; note carbohydrate content)
Decaffeinated or regular coffee or tea*
Diet soda made with sucralose (Splenda™); be sure to count the carbs
Essence-flavored seltzer (must say "no calories")
Herb tea (without barley or any fruit sugar added)
Lemon juice or lime juice (note that each contains 2.8 grams carbohydrate per ounce); limit to two to three tablespoons
* Caffeine can cause cravings or blood sugar spikes with some people. If you’re one of them, you should drink only decaffeinated beverages. If you don’t have a problem with caffeine, you may drink one or two caffeinated beverages a day, because evolving research indicates there may actually be health benefits to a limited amount of caffeine. However, if you have a true caffeine addiction, it will be best to break it during Induction, because any food addiction can cause problems if it isn’t taken care of. Once you’ve broken the addiction and moved on to OWL, you can carefully try adding caffeinated beverages back into your food intake, as long as it doesn’t trigger the addiction again.

Special Category Foods

To add variety, each day you can also eat 10 to 20 olives, half a small avocado, an ounce of sour cream or three ounces of unsweetened heavy cream, as well as two to three tablespoons of lemon juice or lime juice. But be aware that these foods occasionally slow down weight loss in some people, and may need to be avoided in the first two weeks. If you seem to be losing slowly, moderate your intake of these foods.

Convenience Foods
Although it is important that you eat primarily unprocessed foods, some controlled carb food products can come in handy when you are unable to find appropriate food, can’t take time for a meal or need a quick snack. More and more companies are creating healthy food products that can be eaten during the Induction phase of Atkins. Just remember two things:

1. Not all convenience food products are the same, so check labels and carbohydrate content. (See the Online Store for Atkins brand products.)
2. While any of these foods can make doing Atkins easier, don’t overdo it. Remember, you must always follow The Rules of Induction. [/COLOR]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Remember, we are here to help you! [/COLOR]

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart
-Helen Keller

First Goal...Get into my size 16 pants and jeans (currently in sz 18)

Last edited by PghPALady1974; 03-03-2007 at 04:33 PM.. Reason: forgot link
PghPALady1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 05:00 PM   #88
Senior LCF Member

book

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversunfire View Post
[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Joy,
Have you picked up a book yet? I am once again urging it. It is an important tool!

You haven't said if your clothes are fitting different. Yes, you can eat jello w/o the whipped cream. I also recomended the Land O Lakes whipped cream a couple days ago. It made w/ Splenda instead of sugar.

Are you still using ******? That is the best way to figure out how many carbs you are getting form veggies or anything you eat. You have to make sure you change the quantity though.

It was mentioned above that you were getting 4 carbs from coffee. Not everyone counts coffee carbs. It is entirely up to you on that one. Since you seem to be having a problem, you may want to at first.

The following is from the Atkins website with the list of foods for induction. Here is the link for it also. Please go thru the site. Although I recomend staying away from the processed Atkins products they mention are ok. [/COLOR]

[COLOR="Blue"]
http://www.atkins.com/articles/atkins-phases/phase-one

Acceptable Foods

These are the foods you may eat liberally during Induction:

All fish,
including ...
All fowl,
including ... All shellfish,
including ...
All meat,
including ... All eggs,
including ...
tuna
chicken
oysters*
beef
scrambled

salmon turkey mussels*
pork fried
sole duck duck lamb poached
trout goose clams bacon** soft-boiled
flounder Cornish hen squid veal hard-boiled
sardines quail shrimp ham**
deviled
herring pheasant crabmeat venison omelets

*Oysters and mussels are higher in carbs than other shellfish, so limit them to four ounces per day.

**Processed meats, such as ham, bacon, pepperoni, salami, hot dogs and other luncheon meats—and some fish—may be cured with added sugar and will contribute carbs. Try to avoid meat and fish products cured with nitrates, which are known carcinogens. Also beware of products that are not exclusively meat, fish or fowl, such as imitation fish, meatloaf and breaded foods. Finally, do not consume more than four ounces of organ meats a day.

OTHER FOODS THAT ARE ACCEPTABLE DURING INDUCTION
Cheese
You can consume three to four ounces daily of the following full-fat, firm, soft and semisoft aged cheeses*, including:

cheddar
cow, sheep and goat cheese
cream cheese
Gouda
mozzarella
Roquefort and other blue cheeses
Swiss

*All cheeses have some carbohydrate content. The quantity you eat should be governed by that knowledge. The rule of thumb is to count 1 ounce of cheese as equivalent to 1 gram of carbohydrate. Note that cottage cheese, farmer’s cheese and other fresh cheeses are not permitted during Induction. No "diet" cheese, cheese spreads or whey cheeses are permitted. Individuals with known yeast symptoms, dairy allergy or cheese intolerance must avoid cheese. Imitation cheese products are not allowed, except for soy or rice cheese—but check the carbohydrate content.

Vegetables
You should eat 12-15 net carbs a day of vegetables. These salad vegetables are high in phytonutrients and provide a good source of fiber:

alfalfa sprouts
daikon
mushrooms
arugula
endive
parsley
bok choy
escarole
peppers
celery
fennel
radicchio
chicory
jicama
radishes
chives
lettuce
romaine lettuce
cucumber
mâche
sorrel

Other Vegetables
Within the 12-15 net carb daily vegetable requirement, these vegetables are slightly higher in carbohydrate content than the salad vegetables listed above, but they also provide important nutrients and add variety to your daily food intake:

artichoke
celery root
pumpkin
artichoke hearts
rhubarb
asparagus
chard
sauerkraut
bamboo shoots
collard greens
scallions
dandelion
snow peas
bean sprouts
dandelion greens
spaghetti squash
beet greens
eggplant
spinach
broccoli
hearts of palm
string or wax beans
broccoli rabe
kale
summer squash
Brussels sprouts
kohlrabi
tomato
bean sprouts
leeks
turnips
cabbage
okra
water chestnuts
cauliflower
onion
zucchini

If a vegetable, such as spinach or tomato, cooks down significantly, it must be measured raw so as not to underestimate its carb count.

Salad Garnishes

crumbled crisp bacon
grated cheese
minced hard-boiled egg
sautéed mushrooms
sour cream
Spices
All spices to taste, but make sure none contain added sugar.
Herbs
basil
garlic
rosemary
cayenne pepper
ginger
sage
cilantro
oregano
tarragon
dill
pepper
thyme

For salad dressing, use oil and vinegar or lemon juice and herbs and spices. Prepared salad dressings without added sugar and no more than two carbs per tablespoon serving are also fine.

Acceptable Fats and Oils
Many fats, especially certain oils, are essential to good nutrition. Olive oil is particularly valuable. All other vegetable oils are allowed, the best being canola, walnut, soybean, grapeseed, sesame, sunflower and safflower oils, especially if they are labeled "cold-pressed" or "expeller-pressed." Do not cook polyunsaturated oils, such as corn, soybean and sunflower oil, at high temperatures or allow to brown or smoke.

Butter is allowed. Margarine should be avoided, not because of its carbohydrate content, but because it is usually made of trans fats (hydrogenated oils), which are a health hazard. (Some nonhydrogenated margarines are now available.)
You don't have to remove the skin and fat from meat or fowl. Salmon and other cold-water fish are an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids.

Remember that trying to do a low-fat version of the Atkins Nutritional ApproachTM may interfere with fat burning and derail your weight loss.

Artificial Sweeteners
You must determine which artificial sweeteners agree with you, but the following are allowed: sucralose (marketed as Splenda™), saccharin, cyclamate and acesulfame-K. Natural sweeteners ending in the suffix "-ose," such as maltose, etc., should be avoided. However, most sugar alcohols have a minimal effect on blood sugar and are acceptable.

Saccharin has been extensively studied, and harmful effects were produced in the lab when fed to rats only in extremely high doses. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has removed saccharin from its list of carcinogens, basing its decision upon a thorough review of the medical literature and the National Institute of Science’s statement that there is "no clear association between saccharin and human cancer." It can be safely consumed in moderation, meaning no more than three packets a day. Saccharin is marketed as Sweet'n Low™.

The Atkins preference, however, is sucralose (Splenda™), the only sweetener made from sugar. Sucralose is safe, noncaloric and does not raise blood sugar. It has been used in Canada for years, and the FDA approved it after reviewing more than 100 studies conducted over the past 20 years. Note that each packet of sugar substitute contains about 1 gram of carbohydrate, so don’t forget to include the amount in your daily totals.

Acceptable Beverages
Be sure to drink a minimum of eight eight-ounce glasses of water each day, including:

Filtered water
Mineral water
Spring water
Tap water

Additionally, you can have the following:

Clear broth/bouillon (not all brands; read the label)
Club soda
Cream, heavy or light (limit to two to three tablespoons a day; note carbohydrate content)
Decaffeinated or regular coffee or tea*
Diet soda made with sucralose (Splenda™); be sure to count the carbs
Essence-flavored seltzer (must say "no calories")
Herb tea (without barley or any fruit sugar added)
Lemon juice or lime juice (note that each contains 2.8 grams carbohydrate per ounce); limit to two to three tablespoons
* Caffeine can cause cravings or blood sugar spikes with some people. If you’re one of them, you should drink only decaffeinated beverages. If you don’t have a problem with caffeine, you may drink one or two caffeinated beverages a day, because evolving research indicates there may actually be health benefits to a limited amount of caffeine. However, if you have a true caffeine addiction, it will be best to break it during Induction, because any food addiction can cause problems if it isn’t taken care of. Once you’ve broken the addiction and moved on to OWL, you can carefully try adding caffeinated beverages back into your food intake, as long as it doesn’t trigger the addiction again.

Special Category Foods

To add variety, each day you can also eat 10 to 20 olives, half a small avocado, an ounce of sour cream or three ounces of unsweetened heavy cream, as well as two to three tablespoons of lemon juice or lime juice. But be aware that these foods occasionally slow down weight loss in some people, and may need to be avoided in the first two weeks. If you seem to be losing slowly, moderate your intake of these foods.

Convenience Foods
Although it is important that you eat primarily unprocessed foods, some controlled carb food products can come in handy when you are unable to find appropriate food, can’t take time for a meal or need a quick snack. More and more companies are creating healthy food products that can be eaten during the Induction phase of Atkins. Just remember two things:

1. Not all convenience food products are the same, so check labels and carbohydrate content. (See the Online Store for Atkins brand products.)
2. While any of these foods can make doing Atkins easier, don’t overdo it. Remember, you must always follow The Rules of Induction. [/COLOR]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Remember, we are here to help you! [/COLOR]
Shair i did buy the book over the weekend the new atkins one so Im reading it. the last time i did atkins induction I never measured my veggies what i ate and was losing a lb a day for a month and slower but i stood basicily on Induction for 6 months with a few extra carbs.and lost! why not now?
yes Im drinking over 64oz of water. yes Im in keto with a dark pink. I havent got my menses in over 2 months now Im probably going through my changes.
I do feel like its coming at times but it doesnt. Im eating 2 teaspoons of the virgin coc oil. Im starting to walk to work 3 times a week which is 2 miles a day. can you please post me a menu to my email address for breakfast lunch and dinner so i can follow it some. Thanks for your infor Joy
Old 03-03-2007, 05:21 PM   #89
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PghPALady1974
WOE: thru my mouth
[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]I don't want to give you a menu of what I eat because you may not like what I eat. Also, I am not on strict Atkins myself, so I will prob get flamed big time from people for even giving you any kind of advice!

Each time you try to lose weight, it will come off differently. I would really recomend you make an appointment w/ your doctor asap and find out if you are starting menopause. I would think this has something to do with it. Talk to him about how you are eating (warning, a lot of dr's are uninformed about eating low carb or are against it. Hopefully you have an understanding one!). I did a search for menopause threads for you. Read thru them, they look pretty informational.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/se...archid=1104056

Congrats on starting to walk to work! That should help give a little kick![/COLOR]

Last edited by PghPALady1974; 03-03-2007 at 05:22 PM..
PghPALady1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 04:49 PM   #90
Senior LCF Member

Shari

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversunfire View Post
[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]I don't want to give you a menu of what I eat because you may not like what I eat. Also, I am not on strict Atkins myself, so I will prob get flamed big time from people for even giving you any kind of advice!

Each time you try to lose weight, it will come off differently. I would really recomend you make an appointment w/ your doctor asap and find out if you are starting menopause. I would think this has something to do with it. Talk to him about how you are eating (warning, a lot of dr's are uninformed about eating low carb or are against it. Hopefully you have an understanding one!). I did a search for menopause threads for you. Read thru them, they look pretty informational.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/se...archid=1104056

Congrats on starting to walk to work! That should help give a little kick![/COLOR]
That site is nothing about menopause. yes i walked again today its 2 miles excactly from my home to walk and it felt good. so far this week i walked 4 miles if i can do this 3 times a week is that enough exercise? well i hope to kick this stall and start losing something. Joy