Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2013, 12:18 PM   #661
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tiggy
Stats: 84.6kg/76.8kg/60kg
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 3 March 2013
Thanks Nancypie, I'm going to try very hard this next week and not have any - wish me luck...
Tiggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2013, 08:49 AM   #662
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: thimblecricket
I've been doing a high fat Atkins induction since April first. I've read the book several times and I retread just the induction chapter this time.

I weighed the first week and lost four pounds and then hid my scale in the trunk! I knew the ups and downs of even infrequent weighing would upset me and I just want to judge by the way I look and feel. I'm totally in this for as long as it takes, but the last week I felt like I was losing ground so I broke out my measuring tape. I'd gained half an inch since after the first week. Fine, I thought, but I measured again today and I'm up a whole inch.

BM-wise things are moving daily. My appetite is down. I'm getting between 1000 and 1800 calories a day and I like giving my body the variance there.

For breakfast I eat a mock Danish or two! For lunch and snacks hard boiled or deviled eggs usually with added coconut oil or omelettes. For dinner I have whatever I've made for my family. A meat protein and vegetables with butter.

I wouldn't mind not losing even for a few months, but has anyone actually expanded on this diet?
thimblecricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:39 AM   #663
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tafisu
Stats: 278
Start Date: 24 Jan 2011
Hello all
I don't know if I am doing this right it's been years since I last posted
I have restarted induction and lost during the 1st week then went into TOM and still kept losing TOM is over and I started gaining on the 2nd week. I have been clean no sweeteners or anything. I keep my carbs below 25 sometimes just16g I don't know if it is the salad b4 bedtime or the excess coffee that cud be at fault,
please help!!! SOS somebody

Menu
2-3 eggs with 1tbs cream, 3bacon, 0-2 hotdogs (4g carb each)
Mixed meats in fresh chilli pepper sauce
Chicken or ham &cheese roulade on salad with mayo salt mustard &vinegar
Dinner same as lunch but @ about 10-11pm
tafisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:31 AM   #664
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sherrip53
Stats: 213/203/150
WOE: atkins
Start Date: april 28 2013
This is happening to me too, I lost 10 lbs on the 2 week induction phase.
Now im 5 days into the 2nd 2weeks and have lost a 1/2 pound.
Still on induction phase as I till have about 50 lbs to lose.
Is this normal, I keep reading about coffee intake causing a problem.
I didn't have a problem though the first 2 weeks
sherrip53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:36 AM   #665
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
It's very normal to have a stall after the initial "whoosh" from induction
Hang in there!
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:36 AM   #666
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: raeblount
Stats: 214/180/155
Start Date: 4/14/2013
I am currently in that stall stage (week 5) I lost alot of weight early on and now have stalled. My acetest (ketones) are large and has been that way since day 3. I am drinking about 160 oz of water a day. I feel like I am losing inches but not pounds. I know that this is a good thing still but can be very depressing. I also noticed that lately My bowels has slowed down so I added phyllis husk 3 times a day and started on flax seed. This has been just for about 3 days now.

Normal diet is
2-4 eggs scambled
5 strips of bacon

steak and shrimp with soy sauce and hot sauce
2 cups salad just the greens wit ha 1/2 TBS tzatziki sauce

2 sausgaes with cheddar (2 carbs each)

4 sausage links (0 carbs)

One thing I have noticed is I am hungry again always....

Last edited by raeblount; 05-17-2013 at 02:50 AM.. Reason: add info
raeblount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:35 PM   #667
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
rae: soy sauce, cheese, sausages and bacon = a load of sodium.
You may need to reassess and go with less processed meats for some of your meals.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:08 PM   #668
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cb83
Stats: 302/262.6/245
WOE: Induction my way
Start Date: 3.13.13
I was stalled for a couple weeks +, started adding half an Avacado to my daily spinach salad, and started losing again. Also added some celery sticks w ranch for snacks.
cb83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:45 AM   #669
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Rae, if you are still hungry after you eat, you need to eat more. It looks like you have room to spare a veggie with your evening meal. You could also add some high fat, low carb dressing to your greens. Or add an avacodo (1/2 per day on induction) as suggested by cb83.
Patience is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:21 PM   #670
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Beebop
Stats: 171.8/169.6/145 5'3" 48 yrs
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 6/4/13
Hello Everyone,
I'm new to this site but have been reading a lot of helpful info. from it for a while...I started Atikins induction on April 8th and only lost 2 pounds while keeping track of my 20 carbs per day. I'm a nurse and have been doing a lot of reading on metabolic resistance to weight loss and insulin resistance recently and have yo yo dieted for the past 14 years since having my daughter. I do take Armour thyroid medication and had that all checked last summer before starting Medifast diet where you only eat 1000 cals. per day and lost 20 pounds by Thanksgiving and then got really tired of the packaged foods. After doing Atkins induction for 4 weeks and only losing 2 pounds I decided to try the fat fast and lost 6.2 pounds the first week then when I went back to induction for the weekend I gained back 2 pounds and tried it again the next week but only go up and down with the same 2 pounds each week ( now 4 weeks of this) Every time I try to add more carbs with vegetables 12-16 per day I seem to gain weight or not lose at all. Could I be that sensitive to carbs? I speed walk on my treadmill 2-3 times per week for 30 minutes and get my water in as well. Any Ideas on what I could do different? Or should I try the JUDDD or alternate day diet? At my whits end at what will work at this point.
Beebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:08 AM   #671
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nancypie11
Stats: 191/172/145
WOE: LCHF/IF, insulin resistant
Start Date: Dec 17th 2012
Bebop- can you provide a sample menu for a day or two, sometimes what you are eating can effect your loss. I am insulin resistant and to lose weight I have to keep my carbs around 15... But if you are there might be things you are eating that are low carb but cause insulin to be released. It took a long time for me to realize that I could eat nuts and be fine but not anything with even a by product of wheat ie. low carb tortillas,
Nancypie11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:11 AM   #672
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nancypie11
Stats: 191/172/145
WOE: LCHF/IF, insulin resistant
Start Date: Dec 17th 2012
For everyone out there stalling- if you are following the plan and your stall lasts more than a week or two and you aren't losing weight or inches, try taking a look at your supplements. There is a whole section on it in dandr, not sure about others. I have a vitamin d def. as most people and forgot to refill my scrip, and stalled for a month without it, in the last 6 days I have lost 4 lbs...
Nancypie11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:20 AM   #673
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: omega369
Stats: 137/137/125
Start Date: 6/6/13
Hi all, back to Atkins after about 10 years. Just started induction on Thursday and lost two pounds the first two days, then gained it back over the weekend. Urgh. I followed to the letter aside from a few glasses of wine over the weekend and I'm guessing that did not help. Ketostix still showed small ketosis (light pink.) I'll see how it goes this week when there will be no wine. I have to say I'm enjoying not feeling starving all the time - I'd forgotten how nice it is to not HAVE to eat lunch at noon.
omega369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:24 AM   #674
Junior LCF Member

P.S. I will also consider the fact I may be insulin resistant like Nancypie11 and reduce carbs or do fat fast if I have to. :-\
Old 06-11-2013, 11:55 AM   #675
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Saltysailor1
Stats: 183/171/120
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: June 25, 2013
Stuck and frustrated

I have been doing Atkins since March so far I have lost a total of 10 lbs woot woot! But, I haven't seen the scale or tape measure move in the past 3weeks. The scale actually goes down one day then up the next, so I attribute this to water. I am thinking I am probably not eating enough calories or I need to try the fat fast. Exercising has been a huge problem (too complicated to go into right now).
Saltysailor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:15 PM   #676
Major LCF Poster!

omega, try to ditch the wine for a while. Technically, it's not on the list of induction allowed foods. A few glasses will most likely delay your progress. You can add back, gradually if you choose.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:08 AM   #677
Junior LCF Member

Did as you said, Bella, and whoosh lost two pounds since the weekend!!!
Old 06-15-2013, 01:31 PM   #678
Senior LCF Member

Salty I have played around a lot with what I eat, calories etc...and it's still a mystery. I have been keeping track of everything I eat for months, even before Low Carb. I have found though that I have to be roughly in the 1500-3000 calorie range per day. I have even lost a lb multiple times at the 3000 cal level! I was also stalled for about 3 weeks, added 1/2 avacado per day and some celery or raw broccolli for snacks (usually w some ranch). I am now about to break the 270's which I can't remember last time I saw...

I also lift heavy average of 4 times per week.
added in 7 min of bike before (warm-up) and 30 min of random hills after lifting this week.

My daily menu: (It's always very close to the same, especially for lunch)

Breakfast:
3-4 scrambled eggs
1/4-1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
about 1 oz of sweet onions
about 12 baby spinach leaves
If I have some venison or other meat I throw in 2-3oz roughly (recently even tuna)
1 tbsp butter
16oz coffee/2 tbsp HWC/1 tbsp splenda X2 if needed

Lunch:
2 cups baby spinach
1/2 avacado
1 oz sweet onions
about 1/2 cup mushrooms
sometimes 2 servings parmesan
1-2 HB Eggs chopped
1 large chicken thigh chopped or 1 can tuna
2tbsp Hidden Valley Ranch (prob more usually I don't use a spoon to measure)

Dinner:
around 12oz of meat, Chicken, Vension, or Beef
sometimes with sauteed onions/mushrooms
1-2 cups raw broccoli or celery
add needed fats like 1 tbsp butter/mayo/ranch for veggies

Snacks:
up to 5-6 HB eggs daily
4-5 7" sticks Celery
1 cup raw broccoli
usually w 1tbsp ranch/sometimes some hot sauce to make SW Ranch sauce (awesome for chicken also)
1/4 cup Wonderful Almonds (roasted/salted) My Sam's doesn't have the unsalted raw ones anymore ;(
Old 06-17-2013, 04:15 PM   #679
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Saltysailor1
Stats: 183/171/120
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: June 25, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb83 View Post
Salty I have played around a lot with what I eat, calories etc...and it's still a mystery. I have been keeping track of everything I eat for months, even before Low Carb. I have found though that I have to be roughly in the 1500-3000 calorie range per day. I have even lost a lb multiple times at the 3000 cal level! I was also stalled for about 3 weeks, added 1/2 avacado per day and some celery or raw broccolli for snacks (usually w some ranch). I am now about to break the 270's which I can't remember last time I saw...

I also lift heavy average of 4 times per week.
added in 7 min of bike before (warm-up) and 30 min of random hills after lifting this week.

My daily menu: (It's always very close to the same, especially for lunch)

Breakfast:
3-4 scrambled eggs
1/4-1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
about 1 oz of sweet onions
about 12 baby spinach leaves
If I have some venison or other meat I throw in 2-3oz roughly (recently even tuna)
1 tbsp butter
16oz coffee/2 tbsp HWC/1 tbsp splenda X2 if needed

Lunch:
2 cups baby spinach
1/2 avacado
1 oz sweet onions
about 1/2 cup mushrooms
sometimes 2 servings parmesan
1-2 HB Eggs chopped
1 large chicken thigh chopped or 1 can tuna
2tbsp Hidden Valley Ranch (prob more usually I don't use a spoon to measure)

Dinner:
around 12oz of meat, Chicken, Vension, or Beef
sometimes with sauteed onions/mushrooms
1-2 cups raw broccoli or celery
add needed fats like 1 tbsp butter/mayo/ranch for veggies

Snacks:
up to 5-6 HB eggs daily
4-5 7" sticks Celery
1 cup raw broccoli
usually w 1tbsp ranch/sometimes some hot sauce to make SW Ranch sauce (awesome for chicken also)
1/4 cup Wonderful Almonds (roasted/salted) My Sam's doesn't have the unsalted raw ones anymore ;(
Thanks!
I'll try adding 1/2 avocado to my daily salad along with some celery with ranch as snacks. Maybe I can start to lose something again. I have been stalled for 3 weeks, even gained 2 pounds, then lost them ( I figure it was too much sodium). I am also going to cut out nuts and seeds again as we'll for a couple of weeks.
Saltysailor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:22 PM   #680
Senior LCF Member

You can always plan out your meals too, I use a free app on my phone to record everything so I know where my net carbs are at. Try 1000 cal one day, 1500, then 2000. Try to keep the carbs the same, so don't eat a ton of one veggie one day and not the other. Drink the same amount of water etc...see what happens!
Old 06-21-2013, 08:45 PM   #681
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Stahd
Stats: 5'6", 140; goal 125-130
WOE: Atkins or whatever works! Paleo?
Start Date: AGAIN?!!!!! 6/21/13
wow, that's bizarre but inspiring!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
I have just recently rejoined these boards after almost four years away. I did Atkins before and lost twenty pounds. (I am post-menopausal and an extremely slow loser)

I have plenty of sympathy for those of you in ketosis who are not seeing a pay-off on the scale because I have been in that situation myself. But realize that this doesn't mean you are not losing fat! One of the oddities of Atkins is that sometimes when you are losing fat, your body thinks it will keep those fat cells at the ready by filling them with water. If you look around on these boards, I'm sure you will find many references to this phenomena. Anyway, maybe my experience will help you:

I went on Atkins for the first time about four years ago. It was June 1st. I lost about four pounds in the first week of ketosis; second week two pounds; then ... nothing!
Week after week I had the bad breath and metallic taste in my mouth so I knew I was in ketosis, but the scale stayed the same. The only thing that kept me on Atkins was inertia --- I had lost most of my appetite, which was nice, and the diet was actually easier for me than my normal way of eating, as far as food prep.

Still, for two months, no weight loss, not an ounce. Then, when I had given up hope and was not even weighing my self regularly (too depressing), I suddenly lost 10 pounds! No one loses 10 pounds of fat in one week unless they are starv-ing. "Something" strange happened. The next week I lost six pounds.

When I say I lost this weight I don't mean that it came off a little at a time through the week; it was one day there and the next day gone. Since that time I have had many people tell me of similar experiences. I hope you will stick to it and stay on the diet. Think of it as an experiment in this very (in my opinion) weird way of losing weight.
I mean, WOW!!!! Did it stay off????
Stahd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:56 PM   #682
Major LCF Poster!

Agree, very inspiring.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:32 PM   #683
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MLW73
Week 1 on induction

I started Atkins On the June 22. My starting weight was 188. I went to doctor today & dreadfully they weighted me. I am at 193!
I have always successfully lost on atkins in the past.

My daughters and I are on it together and they both lost weight.

What the heck with me? LOL We are all eating the same things, I cook the meals for goodness sake!

Anyhow I do have underlying issues with high blood pressure, MVP and other heart issues. Possibly the transition of salty foods is more than my diuretic can handle. I am pretty certain that's what it is. EKG came back abnormal. So I will know more soon.
Just don't want it to discourage me from pressing on to lose weight
MLW73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:25 PM   #684
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: RonJaws
Stats: 212.7/205.6/190(mini goal)175(ultimate goal)
Start Date: 6/12/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLW73 View Post
I started Atkins On the June 22. My starting weight was 188. I went to doctor today & dreadfully they weighted me. I am at 193!
I have always successfully lost on atkins in the past.

My daughters and I are on it together and they both lost weight.

What the heck with me? LOL We are all eating the same things, I cook the meals for goodness sake!

Anyhow I do have underlying issues with high blood pressure, MVP and other heart issues. Possibly the transition of salty foods is more than my diuretic can handle. I am pretty certain that's what it is. EKG came back abnormal. So I will know more soon.
Just don't want it to discourage me from pressing on to lose weight
Good luck!
RonJaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:56 PM   #685
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: capone
Stats: 145/139.6/110
Start Date: 7/2/13
Hanging In

Ending week 2 of induction tomorrow. Lost 5 lbs. but never got past "moderate" ketosis. Could I be drinking too much water?

Eating no more than 20 carbs and eating 3 meals plus snacks to comply with other numbers.

A little discouraging. I will not go off of induction until I lose 20 of the 30 I need to lose.
capone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:22 PM   #686
Senior LCF Member

Don't even use sticks. You're drinking plenty of water diluting urine probably which is good. I've never had a reading over second one, barely a trace. I stopped using them. Go by taste in your mouth or smell of pee, you should be good.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:34 AM   #687
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: feelinlite
Stats: 150/146/126
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: July 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by themanda View Post
" You may be a fast loser or a maddeningly slow loser. But rest assured that after the first 4 or 5 days, you've lost all the water weight you are going to lose. From now on, every ounce-and every inch- that comes off is solely fat!"

Thanks that is good to know!
Indeed...as I'm trying to lose a few pounds before getting married in September, I'm excited to see this support forum and need motivation for staying on track.

thanks everyone, for being here!
feelinlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:29 AM   #688
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: wimzicul
Stats: 172?
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: July 17, 2013
Good morning all. I am a newbie to the site. This is my 3rd week of induction and I keep gaining and losing the same 2 pounds and I'm about to lose hope!! I've done induction before and lost about a pound a day without even exercising. This time I'm working out, keeping cals at 1,200 and keto sticks are in dark purple for the last 2 weeks, but still nothing! My inches aren't moving nor is the scale, except to go between 166-168. I don't understand why I am not showing any loss when the sticks are dark purple. I am so sad and depressed about this.
wimzicul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:32 PM   #689
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: NewMe
Stats: 197/197/140
Start Date: July 22, 2013
Welcome wimzicul....this forum is great for encouragement. Awesome people. I am in a similar situation my self after three weeks. It seems that it happens that way sometimes. Are your clothes loose fitting? Mine is. You may not be losing pound but may loose some inches. Hang in there my dear, don't give up. I am planning on working thru this. A big whoosh is due to come our way. Hope we see it soon.
NewMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:45 AM   #690
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Turtle50
Stats: Sizes: 18/16/6
WOE: Why We Get Fat book
Start Date: December 2012
Slowly but not necessarily surely

Hello,

I feel a lot better reading these posts. I got my eating plan from the Gary Taubes book, "Why We Get Fat," but from what I've been reading in the posts, it is almost an exact approximation of the Atkins Induction phase.

I am, of course, stalled, for the past two weeks. Yes, 180 is not very close to my goal weight of 100 but it is lower than my top weight of 195. And two weeks is not even close to two months. Wow! What determination, to stick with the plan for that long, even with no results.

100 lbs probably sounds low, but I am under 5 feet tall, so it's actually a reasonable weight for me.

I did find that lowering my cheese intake helped, earlier in the process. I hope that Splenda isn't holding me back, because I use that daily. And they will have to pry coffee and cream from my cold dead hands. I don't count plain black coffee as carbs, but even if I did, I would still stay well under 20 carbs daily. I've counted calories sporadically, but I stay around 1200 if I stay on the program, so I'm pretty sure that's not the problem.

Thanks, everyone, for your posts. They are incredibly helpful.
Turtle50 is offline   Reply With Quote