Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 10:03 AM   #631
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: prettygirlpoppin
Stats: 273/266/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July19, 2010
Ok-I found out the hard way that the Atkins shakes and bars do not work for me right now. They caused me to stall and I was really hoping to have something new to eat for snacks at work and while on the go. Unfortunately, They not only stalled me but I gained a pound in the course of just three days having one shake for breakfast in the morning and one bar for snacks after lunch. Huge Bomber!!!

The scale seems to be moving very slowly for me and I have quite a bit of wieght to lose. I am not eating artificial sugars anymore after that and I am only drinking water. I stay within the 20g carb range and I sometimes eat less then that on certain days. So, Be aware out there and pay attention to the artificial sweeteners. I am type 2 diabetic and my body is reacting to these sweeteners almost the same way that it would sugar. It took me two to three days to try to kick back into the mode of losing wieght. But, I like the way that it feels to have normal bllod sugar levels. This way of life is worth it just for that.
prettygirlpoppin is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2013, 06:33 AM   #632
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: PopRus1953
Stats: 340/332/240
WOE: Atkins - General LC
Start Date: January 2013
On my second Atkins attempt. Last time was about 10 years ago and lost about 70 lbs then. At 59 I am finding my body processes food differently now, especially since I'm more sedentary. Got to my all time high in December and felt really miserable. When I got to 3X shirts and even those were getting snug I knew I had to do something NOW! First two weeks I'm down 8 pounds. Not too shabby but it has slowed a bit. Finding that diet drinks seem to make me retain more fluids or something. Going back to more water. Also felt the need to add a couple of things like frozen strawberries for more Vitamin C. I'm in it to win it this time.
PopRus1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:40 AM   #633
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: PopRus1953
Stats: 340/332/240
WOE: Atkins - General LC
Start Date: January 2013
Take this for what it is worth, but when I find that when I stall I have to change something to jumpstart again. It can be as simple as having a semi "crash" meal where I eat a normal meal (within reason of course). I find that if I do that about once per week it will take me out of a plateau that can happen. Another way I alter or jump start again is to do an Atkins shake or meal replacment bar instead of the strict induction items. No saying this will work for everyone, but it does for me.
PopRus1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:16 PM   #634
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jenericstewart
Stats: 293+/177/173; 5'6", 53 yrs
WOE: JUDDD / Fast-5
Start Date: 6/7/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaM@c View Post
Oh, and by the way, the more you have to lost the faster you lose it. those of you with 20 lbs. or less to lose are going to see it come off a lot slower than us really fat people who have 50 or more to lose! LOL!
Oh, how I wish it was true or that simple!
jenericstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:36 PM   #635
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: teelex
Hi everyone,

im 44, 5'8, always worked out n been in shape til i gave up on myself n life for the past year, now im sick of being chubby, im 157 n i plan to lose around 30 pounds to get down to 125 - 128.
im on day 6 of induction, and haven't lost a thing, yet was in ketosis on day 2 or 3 I believe it was, i eat only induction foods, and as of yesterday evening, the evening of day 5, through today day 6, I HAVE BEEN STARVING HUNGRY :-( I knnow ill be asked so here is typical food ive been doing:
hard boiled or scrambled egg and turkey sausage or turkey bacon
orange flavored crystal light in water or decaf coffee with 1 packet splenda & powdered creamer
cheeseburger with lett & tom with barely dipping in must & ketch - no bun
or beef hot dogs dipped in must - no bun
or grilled chicken patty wth lett n tom dipped occasionally in mayo
most days a salad wth cheese, a few cherry tomatoes, few slices of cucmber n ranch dressing
baked salmon or cod fish in oven
or steakum wth grn pepp n mushroom
snacks through the day would be prewrapped cheesestcks, slim jim or beefstick
1 time a day or every other day a caffeine free diet soda drink
the above is typical give or take some things, but ive done low carb many other times before along with working out n lost weight. its just my job now is a deskjob in a cubicle all day - a long 8 - 9+ hour day if overtime is going on, so im the most sedentary ive ever been my entire life, then when i get home at night i dont always feel like exercising. sooooooo im frustrated that after a week of doing well, i cant tell in my pants waists. :-(
teelex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:45 PM   #636
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: BuzzB
I noticed a few food items that can be red flags for people not losing on low carb:

Artificial sweeteners--orange flavored crystal light, splenda, powdered creamer (read the label.)
Cheese--for many this can stall weight loss.
slim jim/beefstick--read the labels. Many have sugar and carbs.

Don't be afraid of fat. It is your friend. It helps to quell hunger. Atkins is not a high protein diet, it's a high fat diet.

I you're still hungry on a LC diet, then that's a sign there are extra carbs in your diet.
BuzzB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:30 PM   #637
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: teelex
thank you for your response......and yeah i check the labels on those items and no sugar......matter of fact i didnt buy lunchmeat because the ingredients had sugar. :-\ sooooooo i am now a bit confused as well as frustrated cause i read that cheese is good for fat n snacking n then theres a possibility its stalling me......? *sigh* i think i need to exercise unfortunately, but ill keep at it --
teelex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:38 PM   #638
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: BuzzB
I couldn't lose on Atkins and started reading this website and it works better for me:

Diet Doctor - Real food for your health

(It's not commercial just informational.)
BuzzB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:22 AM   #639
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sharss
Stats: 5'6 1/2" 72yr 136/130/125/120
WOE: L-G Index Diet/HCG Drops
Start Date: Restarting 12/29/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzB View Post
I noticed a few food items that can be red flags for people not losing on low carb:

Artificial sweeteners--orange flavored crystal light, splenda, powdered creamer (read the label.)
Cheese--for many this can stall weight loss.
slim jim/beefstick--read the labels. Many have sugar and carbs.

Don't be afraid of fat. It is your friend. It helps to quell hunger. Atkins is not a high protein diet, it's a high fat diet. I you're still hungry on a LC diet, then that's a sign there are extra carbs in your diet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by teelex View Post
thank you for your response......and yeah i check the labels on those items and no sugar......matter of fact i didnt buy lunchmeat because the ingredients had sugar. :- sooooooo i am now a bit confused as well as frustrated cause i read that cheese is good for fat n snacking n then theres a possibility its stalling me......? *sigh* i think i need to exercise unfortunately, but ill keep at it --
teelex, you're totally missing BuzzB's point. Have you even read Atkin's book? You haven't been doing Atkin's Induction. Period.

KEEP MOVING FORWARD
Sharon
Sharss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:51 AM   #640
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: drebar
Stats: 132.50 / 135 / 125-128
WOE: Atkins old school
Start Date: 3/15/2013
Gaining weight

Hi. Im 39, 5 3 and only looking to lose a total of 5-8lbs. Started Atkins "old school" induction on friday and have been sticking to it. Ive been wathcing my nutriets via an online tracker and on average im on 60-70% fat, 20-25% proteing and have barely gone to 5% carbs... im eastin protein and fat.. im actually cooking again to ensure i am not messing it up. using lean protein and butter, olive oil and herbs to make sauces like pesto and chimichurri to accompany my protein. have had no vegetables at all, as i said, old school atkins. i am having one coffee (black no splenda even) and a green tea a day which i didnt do the first time i did atkins. lots of cheese and deli meat (watched for ingredients and nutrients and counting them anyway). I am getting frustrated bcs i have gained 2 lbs since i started. Could it be that im gaining bcs of working out? I see a personal trainer a week and then work out on my own 2-3 times. we have been doing weights and he's been pushing me a bit. my muscles have been sore. Could it really be the whole muscle vs fat weighs more? im getting very frustrated.
btw, i am watching calories just to keep track. i eat until satisfied and with only a little bit of exercise i stay within 1200 calories net.
I started atkins bcs even tho i lost weight just calorie-counting i reached a plateau... have been between 133-135 for a while.. trying to break the 130 again and rid myself of the carb cravings i was having.
Any thoughts?
drebar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:21 AM   #641
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: PinkyLee
Stats: 200/190/140-35
WOE: Atkins (2002)
Start Date: March 14th 2013
good to remind myself of this

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzB View Post
I you're still hungry on a LC diet, then that's a sign there are extra carbs in your diet.

I feel like I am getting sluggish since losing the 10 and I am glad I found this thread!

I have already tackled the Sodium form the deli meats. geesh! But I do think that cheese can shut me /slow me down. I can't eat too much of it in "real" life either and I had it a few times last week.

I am spreading my veggies out over the day but honestly I feel like I am eating to much. I am still not really hungry in the morning either. I keep a diet calendar at FS because I love how it counts for me so I know every bite I take and I think I am taking one two many.

Can you eat too many vegetables?
PinkyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:54 AM   #642
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cmcd1070
Stats: pre-op 240/now 167/goal 130
WOE: Organic Low Carb
Start Date: WLS 2-8-11. Atkins (reboot) 4-7-14
well, I am on day 4 of induction. It's also my TOM. I said on other threads, I was a HEAVY HEAVY sugar addict. I mean, you could find candy in every drawer, nook and cranny in my house. I have been detoxing from that for 3 days and it was bitterly painful.
I told myself I wasn't going to weigh for a week but I always lie to myself so I peeked at the scale and I was up 5lbs. It was depressing, but I think I just need to refine some things.
I was eating an atkins bar snack because it says it is ok during all phases but just in case, I cut it out as of today. Also, I was trying to wean myself off sugary drinks like sweet tea and kool-aid so I slowly started reducing the sugar in my tea over a week so now I'm drinking decaf sugarfree tea and crystal light. I might have to cut out the crystal light too if I don't lose anything by the end of week 1.
I'm just really happy I feel better today, I'm not craving carbs, my body doesnt hurt, I have no desire to binge. 4 days totally sugar free is a HUGE accomplishment for me!
cmcd1070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:57 AM   #643
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ThickathanThick
Stats: 240/238/150
Start Date: 3-25-2013
How long til I get in Ketosis?

It's Thursday and I started induction on Monday, so this is my fourth day and I'm still not in ketosis! I tried Atkins years ago and was in ketosis by the beginning of the 3rd day...Any suggestions on what I can do to speed up the progress? I was going to the gym until I started the diet this week, but I've felt nauseated, headachy and crappy, so I haven't gone all week!
ThickathanThick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:14 AM   #644
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LeeLee
Stats: 257/249/150
Start Date: March 2013
I don't know if I'm posting correctly but here goes...I just started last Saturday and lost 8lbs (water) in the first 3 days. Since then nothing. However, I am diabetic and my sugars have dropped from the 300's to the mid 100's in one week which is awesome. I have dropped one insulin and now only shoot a small amount of my basal insulin at night. I cannot exercise yet as I have recently had knee surgery and take 1 percocet in the evenings for pain. I don't understand what I am doing wrong to not be losing. I eat a fat breakfast...bacon and eggs or an omlet. Lunch and dinner is usually baked chicken, skin on with a salad with ranch dressing. A couple days I had a huge chef's salad for dinner. I usually supplement my carbs with a serving of brussel sprouts or asparagus. If I need a snack in the evening I eat pork rinds with salsa.
LeeLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:39 AM   #645
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LeeLee
Stats: 257/249/150
Start Date: March 2013
oh, also got a question on carbs. Want to try a recipe I found on this site. It calls for splenda. I purchased the splenda with fiber. The info on the package read 1 gram of carb and 1 gram of fiber. Would that mean that it has 0 net carbs? That is what we count, right? Thanks for any help
LeeLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:58 PM   #646
TEQ
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: TEQ
Stats: 278/270/175 (5'9")
WOE: Low Carb- looking for the "right" way
Start Date: March 18 2013 (this time)
almost 2 weeks in, 10 lbs down. but, nervous.

This is my first post, so I hope I don't do it wrong!

Today is Saturday, and Monday will be the two week mark for me.
I have done the first two weeks of Atkins so many times...but then I stall, get frustrated, and quit.

I want to start walking a few miles after work- but when I do that I feel like I am even more hungry.

My biggest problem is at night. I control my eating and count carbs just fine during the day, but at night I feel RAVENOUS.

I would love some help or suggestions from anyone who has felt or feels similar to how I'm feeling.

Thanks in advance.
TEQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:08 AM   #647
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jenericstewart
Stats: 293+/177/173; 5'6", 53 yrs
WOE: JUDDD / Fast-5
Start Date: 6/7/12
Gum stalls me

I have been an avid gum chewer since I was a child. I recently quit chewing gum, and within 4 weeks, I've lost 15.8 pounds. I've been dieting for 9 months, so it's not even the beginning of my dieting venture. I'd stalled several months ago, but hadn't accepted the fact that gum could be a problem.

I'd sometimes chew the same piece of gum for hours. I believe it's the chewing action that was the problem. Kinda makes me angry to think of it.

Last edited by jenericstewart; 03-31-2013 at 06:15 AM..
jenericstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:11 AM   #648
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: PinkyLee
Stats: 200/190/140-35
WOE: Atkins (2002)
Start Date: March 14th 2013
Ah Ha!

You should also make sure that you are consuming plenty of natural fat and not overconsuming protein. Protein is crucial for feeding your body, but if you eat huge amounts of protein it can actually get in the way of fat burning and stall weight loss.

Protein. I didn't know that. Protein already gives me issues if I eat too much of it so I have cut back. Now I don't feel so guilty about it. It may well be why I haven't moved on the scale. I wasn't eating huge amounts but I was eating way more than I was used to eating.
PinkyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:13 AM   #649
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nancypie11
Stats: 191/172/145
WOE: LCHF/IF, insulin resistant
Start Date: Dec 17th 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenericstewart View Post
I have been an avid gum chewer since I was a child. I recently quit chewing gum, and within 4 weeks, I've lost 15.8 pounds. I've been dieting for 9 months, so it's not even the beginning of my dieting venture. I'd stalled several months ago, but hadn't accepted the fact that gum could be a problem.

I'd sometimes chew the same piece of gum for hours. I believe it's the chewing action that was the problem. Kinda makes me angry to think of it.
Chewing gum raises your blood pressure.
Nancypie11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:22 AM   #650
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: RhondaR
Stats: 269/257/170
WOE: Atkins/general low carb
Start Date: March 14, 2014
Hello! I read every post on this thread and I am so grateful for all the incredible information. I tried Atkins several years ago but looking back I wasn't really doing it right. After reaching my all time high weight I restarted on March 10 and as of this morning I'm down 13 pounds. I'm sticking with induction for awhile at least.
RhondaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:43 AM   #651
Senior LCF Member

So this is day 7 of Induction and though I have technically been sugar free, I think I relied too heavily on SF alternatives like Crystal Light, etc. I have a VERY hard time drinking JUST water. I hate the taste of it, I know... everyone says it doesn't taste like anything but I taste it and I hate it! It also hurts my stomach to drink just water, so if I don't put something in the water, I won't drink it at all. After WLS my dr was so concerned about my frequent ER trips for IV fluids due to severe dehydration that he told me to drink sugar free drinks to get the fluids in, but I'm sure he didn't mean forever! Of course I decided decaf sweet tea was OK because I was still losing weight after WLS. I drank a pitcher per day that had up to 1 cup of sugar in it!! Ugh! So bad! Having sf drinks has helped wean me off the sweet tea, but I know I need to make them a once in a while treat rather than a water replacement. I think out of all the changes I need to make, THIS will be the hardest!!
Old 04-03-2013, 03:59 AM   #652
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: peretroika
Stats: 5'2 140lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenericstewart View Post

Ugh, gum. The bane of my existence. I would be eating basically 0 carbs, 0 fake sugars or products...if it wasn't for that damn gum!! No excuses. Today is the day I stop chewing all day long.

cmcd1070 make some 'detox water,' It's water with a bit of shaved ginger (you can leave out) mint leaves, cucumber, and lemons. I saw this on pinterest and while I don't believe 'detox' is a thing the water is really good, and will keep you drinking water all day.
peretroika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:23 AM   #653
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: KnetZ
Start Date: February 2013
I too have done Atkins in the past with great success (lost 85 lbs) that was about 9 years ago. I have kept that off for all of those years until this past year. I have slowly gained about 15-20 lbs that I want GONE!!
I started back on Atkins 6 weeks ago and have only lost 4 lbs. I am ver discouraged but am determined.
I was drinking a shake every morning but have stopped. I also drink 2 cups of coffee in the morning with 2 Splenda packets and sugar free powdered creamer. From reading these posts I may have to give that up as well. :-(

Can anyone offer any advice on ways to help with the weight loss this time around? This time around I am not having the results I had the first time!!!! :-(
KnetZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:48 AM   #654
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peretroika View Post
cmcd1070 make some 'detox water,' It's water with a bit of shaved ginger (you can leave out) mint leaves, cucumber, and lemons. I saw this on pinterest and while I don't believe 'detox' is a thing the water is really good, and will keep you drinking water all day.
that water sounds really good, WITH the mint! I will have to look for fresh mint. I wonder how much of each you put in? Do you mash it up or leave it whole?
Old 04-03-2013, 09:22 AM   #655
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tiggy
Stats: 84.6kg/76.8kg/60kg
Start Date: 3 March 2013
Hi everyone,
I'm a bit stalled on induction after four weeks, like a few others, I'm up a bit, then down a bit. I started on 4 April at 84.6 and haven't been any lower than 82.3kg yet but my jeans are a bit looser. I'm trying not to get discouraged.

I have a couple questions -

I have a raging Coke Zero or Dr Pepper Zero habit, and when not CZ, Crystal Light (extremely diluted, like 4 to one). Some days, I can go through 2 litres when working on a busy day. I know its bad for me... But I'm trying to reduce. Is this going to be one of the reasons for my lack of progress? I won't post my meals here as I have a journal going (I don't have any coffee or other drinks). I'm just curious how many other soda addicts had slow progress.

Second question - if you make a boo-boo and go slightly over on your carbs (only like 5gr or less) does exercise cancel them out? Only found out the carb counts for a couple things after and thought by upping my workout, I could cancel them out? Or am I just being too hopeful?

I work out almost everyday and burn usually around 1500cals based on my heart rate monitor (not the machine ones). I do weights and stuff but am not expecting to have gained any significant muscle yet so don't think that's for the lack of weight loss.

Thanks for your input!
Tiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:24 AM   #656
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tiggy
Stats: 84.6kg/76.8kg/60kg
Start Date: 3 March 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcd1070 View Post
that water sounds really good, WITH the mint! I will have to look for fresh mint. I wonder how much of each you put in? Do you mash it up or leave it whole?
I made something similar which I adapted from a Jamie Oliver recipe - take a big jug, smash some mint leaves in it with a spoon (I do a whole bunch), add crushed limes wedges (2-3 limes) and stevia to sweeten, ice cubes and top with sparkling water.

Adding ginger to it sounds wonderful.
Tiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:30 PM   #657
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peretroika View Post
I found fresh mint at the store, grabbed an English cucumber and a lime. I smashed a bunch of whole mint, several slices of cucumber and 1/2 a lime. It was very fresh tasting but I could still taste the water so I used a few tablespoons of cooking Splenda and it seemed to blend all the flavors nicely and kill that awful water taste. I dumped my Crystal Light in the sink and grabbed a big tall glass of this instead! I LOVE it! I can drink this all day long! (I left out the ginger, I personally think it tastes like an air freshener).

Thank you!
Old 04-05-2013, 09:20 AM   #658
Senior LCF Member

I'm drinking about 2 quarts of this water per day now! I feel very hydrated! I love this board, I'm learning so much! Thank you for the tip!!
Old 04-05-2013, 06:01 PM   #659
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: peretroika
Stats: 5'2 140lbs
Woo! So glad everyone loves this water! I do too. Here is the original recipe although honestly I just wing it!

2 liters water (about 8 1/2 cups)
1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
1 medium cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
1 medium lemon thinly sliced
12 small spearmint leaves

Combine ingredients and let it stand in fridge overnight.
peretroika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:50 AM   #660
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nancypie11
Stats: 191/172/145
WOE: LCHF/IF, insulin resistant
Start Date: Dec 17th 2012
Tiggy- coke zero and crystal light both have artificial sweeteners that can stall weight loss. Acesulfame potassium can trigger a insulin response that makes you store fat. Also personally it makes me bloated.
Nancypie11 is offline   Reply With Quote