Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2006, 03:50 AM   #31
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: gadgetsgirl
Ketosis?

What is it and how do you achieve such a thing. Told you I was new lol.
gadgetsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2006, 07:09 PM   #32
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Maggy
Stats: 158/123/125 height 5'5
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 3/05
You really need to buy the book and read it to get the most benefit on this WOE. Please do this for yourself. There is a science to this diet, and if it's not understood, then you may become discouraged and misinterpret things and the right way of eating.It's amazing when you read about ketosis and the way your body reacts to carbs and you then have that "light bulb" moment. Best of luck....
Maggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 05:55 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Madeleine
Stats: Start weight 149/Current 137/Goal 125
WOE: WOE Atkins
Start Date: August 6, 2006
I posted earlier right as I was starting Atkins. I lost about 5lbs during induction, and then I immediately starte OWL.

I also lost inches, and the main one I continue to use is my hip measurement. I lost .25 inches during the 2-week induction.

Interestingly, I have continued to lose .25 inches PER WEEK since going OWL. The scales registered an 11 pound loss at one point, and then the scale stalled, even though the tape measure showed a loss each week.

I decided to let the tape measure speak. Today, I decided to weigh in, and finally the scale moved.

I spoke to our nurse practitioner at work about it, and there are many reasons for this phenomeon.

The bottom line for me is to pay attention more to the tape measure, losing a pant size, and the visual changes I see for real in the mirror. I encourage anyone for whom the scale says no loss to consider using the tape measure or some other sign. The scale does not always tell you what's going on.
Madeleine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 04:34 PM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Moonchild
Stats: (272 first go around) 219/190/180
WOE: LC
Start Date: restart Sept 02, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by softballer View Post
I seem to be having trouble locating the ketosis strips. Have been to GNC, Rite-Aid, Walgreens & Walmart. Any suggestions?
At our Walmart, they keep them behind the pharmacy counter and we have to ask the pharmacist for them. I guess because of the small size they are easy to "pocket" (?) At Walmart they were less than $7.00 for 50 (I cut them in half to so I get 100 for that price).
Moonchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 05:14 AM   #35
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: BitterGeek
Stats: 223/216/190
WOE: Atkins - Induction
Start Date: 10/16/2006
I'm experiencing this phenomenon too. I'm keeping my carbs under 15 per day, drinking more than 64 oz of water per day, and regularly excercising. But I have only lost two pounds. I got really discouraged this past Sunday and cheated really bad.
BitterGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 07:21 PM   #36
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: sjmiller
Stats: 182/125/125
Start Date: 12/29/03
Eating under 20 net carbs per day isn't current Atkins.

Starving yourself with either calories or carbs isn't going to work with Atkins.
sjmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 08:04 AM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Skochrose
Stats: 152/150/130-135
Start Date: December 4, 2006
Started Monday...again.

I too am worried about not losing and acutually gaining. I switched to LA Weightloss for about a year and I did lose - I think I had eaten too much of the good Atkins suggested foods (i.e. too much protein in general) However, I always had gas and stomach aches but I got my portions in check.

I now am back on induction and I am concerned about going up in weight! I haven't moved and I am in full keotosis.

Keotosis question: I notice that shortly after I eat, the sticks are darker than when I get up in the morning and test. I assume that this is because I am passing the fats eaten during the most recent meal and in the morning, my body has burned any foods during rest.

Is this correct?
Old 12-08-2006, 05:53 PM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LCWizard
Stats: No More Scale
WOE: No Sugar Added & Persistence
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skochrose View Post
I too am worried about not losing and acutually gaining. I switched to LA Weightloss for about a year and I did lose - I think I had eaten too much of the good Atkins suggested foods (i.e. too much protein in general) However, I always had gas and stomach aches but I got my portions in check.

I now am back on induction and I am concerned about going up in weight! I haven't moved and I am in full keotosis.

Keotosis question: I notice that shortly after I eat, the sticks are darker than when I get up in the morning and test. I assume that this is because I am passing the fats eaten during the most recent meal and in the morning, my body has burned any foods during rest.

Is this correct?

Yes, this is correct. The strips are tricky...fats, lots of water, excerise, etc can effect the results of the test. The true test is no hunger or cravings, and usually more energy. I also find myself thristy then normal. If you are not losing, maybe post a menu for us to look at. Keep going though, it will happen
LCWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 06:02 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

What happened?

Good morning to everyone! OK - I am not so happy this AM. I woke up to weigh myself and found that I am up 1.5 from yesterday morning.

Here is yesterdays menu AFTER walking 6.5 miles!

Coffee 16
Turkey 6 oz
Cheese 4 oz
Bleu cheese dressing 3 tablespoons 3 carbs
SF Jello
Whipped cream homemade with splenda
chicken 6 oz
chicken salad 1 cup
romaine 2 cups
spinach raw 1 cup

This comes to 2085 calories per ******. Why would this be happening. The day prior to this one I had ~1800 calories. Would the difference of 200 calories shoot me in the foot? Any advice is appreciated.

Last edited by Skochrose; 12-13-2006 at 06:04 AM..
Skochrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 09:12 AM   #40
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Dreamcometru
Start Date: November 2006
You are not alone

Hi Skochrose, I'm fairly new, but wanted to join in your discussion if it's okay. I am in the same boat. I am on a program with an 8 week induction. Through week 5, it went great. Now I have gone a full week without losing an ounce. I didn't gain, but I'm so discouraged. Depriving myself of all the goodies during the holiday season and at all the parties is really hard. I guess I expect a reward of weight loss that I didn't get this week. I don't know what happened in your case or mine. It appears you are doing the right thing. Wow, congratulations on the exercise. I need to do more, but I did more last week than ever before. Does the exercise have something to do with the lack of loss or gain perhaps temporarily? I've heard rumors to that effect. So, I know this topic has been beaten over the head because I've read a lot of the posts, but anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with stalls?
Old 12-13-2006, 09:17 AM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Hi there! It could be the exercise but I can't imagine gaining 1.5 overnight from that, you know?

Are you eating enough during induction?
Old 12-14-2006, 08:10 PM   #42
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamcometru View Post
Hi Skochrose, I'm fairly new, but wanted to join in your discussion if it's okay. I am in the same boat. I am on a program with an 8 week induction. Through week 5, it went great. Now I have gone a full week without losing an ounce. I didn't gain, but I'm so discouraged. Depriving myself of all the goodies during the holiday season and at all the parties is really hard. I guess I expect a reward of weight loss that I didn't get this week. I don't know what happened in your case or mine. It appears you are doing the right thing. Wow, congratulations on the exercise. I need to do more, but I did more last week than ever before. Does the exercise have something to do with the lack of loss or gain perhaps temporarily? I've heard rumors to that effect. So, I know this topic has been beaten over the head because I've read a lot of the posts, but anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with stalls?
A stall is defined by Atkins as no loss, in inches or scale for 4 weeks.

Your body is most likely just taking a break... figuring out if you're serious. Testing you as to whether "the goodies" are more important than your goals...

Things like that.

You will not lose every day, every week, every month... and maintenance... that's no losing at all!

Stalls are discussed in your copy of Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution... but one week without a loss does not a stall make!

And if it's time of month....
sjmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 09:26 AM   #43
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sugacookie
Stats: 188.5/188.5/155
Start Date: Xth time: March 10, 2008
Three weeks and no ketosis!

Hi all,
I am reinducting after gaining over 30lbs in the past year with very little deviation from low-carb. After three weeks I have not lost any inches or weight, nor am I in ketosis ( I picked up some ketostix last night at Kroger and even took a pregnancy test out of paranoia )

Has this happened to anyone else? I am really getting discouraged, especially when I cook all this "good" stuff for my BF every night and I sit around eating spinach and chicken breasts!

I don't really have much of an appetite and don't really snack...

Thanks for any advice or words of encouragement!
~Tiff
sugacookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 01:57 PM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Dreamcometru, where are you?

Quote:
Sorry I didn't respond sooner. Yes, you could be exercising too much for the # of calories you are taking in. I know that I could be too. In the long run, you will need to continue to exercise at least 4-5 times a week. Hang in there and contact me anytime. We are in this together!!!
Old 12-22-2006, 02:14 PM   #45
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Here I am.

Sorry I'm so slow in getting back to everyone. Hey, Skochrose and sjmiller, thanks for your responses. The encouragement is great and I did drop a couple last week. It's just so hard this time of year. I'm surrounded by candy and cookies. My co-workers feel guilty around me. With you guys though, we can do it. I'm committed. Okay, next question, have you done the carb ladder and if so, what foods do you recommend to increase your carbs in the beginning? I'm longing for a glass of milk or a piece of fruit or a serving of yogurt. I have to keep it to under 30 for the first week, starting January 2nd, but in a few, when I get up there, I plan to eat or drink one of these forbidden items.
Dreamcometru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 02:39 PM   #46
Senior LCF Member

You should really get a copy of the Atkins book. Dr. A discusses all of those questions and his book has a carb counter in it. Usually the carb ladder is a small amount of veggies first. Then maybe a small amount of low glycemic index affecting berries. It isn't like you can just jump back into the carb game. Dr. A. suggests 5 carb increments per week to see how your body will adjust, so it is not a lot.

Really, get the book - you will love it.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:44 AM   #47
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

I had a feeling veggies would be the ticket

Hi Skoch: I fear the lack of weight loss when adding additional carbs, but I thought if they were sensible carbs like veggies it couldn't hurt. That's the route I will take to start. Oh, by the way, I got three books by Dr. Atkins for Christmas. Fascinating and encouraging. I haven't dropped any weight this week, although eating low carb. I don't think I kept track very well over the last couple of days and may have gone over a bit. With the holidays and vacation time, it will be a bit easier once I return to work. I'm still trying to stick with it though. Thanks for the advice on the ladder.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:07 PM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Calling Dreamcometru! I love that handle by the way...

Dreamcometru! Hi there and Happy Holidays! If you haven't gained any weight this week, even though you haven't lost, that is great! Getting through the holidays is usually a nightmare! LOL

I think Dr. Atkins' books are very encouraging too. We are just such impatient creatures and want it NOW! I know I do. A push button society has spoiled us a bit, I fear.
Old 12-27-2006, 02:39 PM   #49
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Quote:
I haven't dropped any weight this week, although eating low carb.
The simple reality, sad as it is, is that none of us will lose every day or every week. It's just the way our bodies are. Weight loss isn't a straight line downhill to "goal weight".

And yes, sometimes we even "bounce up". If you're doing everything right, then it bounces down again.

That's the purpose of OWL... for you to lose the majority of your weight and to LEARN.

Atkins is about learning what foods work for YOUR body. It's YOUR science experiment.

Fresh apricots work fine for me... I have a friend from whom they start cravings.

So keeping a journal is important, too! Then you can look back at what the pattern of YOUR eating and weight loss is.
Old 12-30-2006, 09:08 AM   #50
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Hello - Thanks you guys

Thank goodness this holiday week is almost over. It's been tough being around the goodies. When I'm at work, it's not so hard. I've been sticking with things relatively well, but haven't really lost anything these past two weeks. I have exercised daily. Hitting the gym is easy because I've been off work. I plan to do some reading and change things up a bit to see if it will trigger some weight loss. I dropped a couple the week before Christmas and seem to be stuck again. One thing that helped was going on ******.com and figuring what I ate and seeing how many calories. I need to do that again. At least all the low carb cheesecake is gone. As yummy as it was, I couldn't keep it to one serving and at 5 carbs per, it added up fast. Take care and thanks for your input. It's encouraging and I want to stick with this.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:53 PM   #51
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Edwards20
WOE: LC
Hello All -- I hope it's OK to just jump in and start posting.

It's my first day here, and I am just scrolling through the forums.

Wow, I am only reading the first thread on the board, and have a handful of questions, comments, etc. Hope you guys can help me. I have posted an introduction of myself in the main forum here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topazz View Post
(Still not losing? Metabolic resistance ...can be broken through with the Fat Fast, info to be posted separately)
What is a fat fast ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
(I am post-menopausal and an extremely slow loser)
Wow, I have had a hysterectomy (minus one remaining ovary). Does this really effect your weight loss ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by autotheism View Post
my body seemed to have developed an insulin resistance. I started gaining weight even when I was in ketosis!
Could the hysterectomy cause an insulin resistance ? Does that make you shake and get headaches ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madeleine View Post
the first time I did Atkins, drinking coffee would take me out of ketosis (according to sticks). This time drinking coffee hasn't had that affect. In fact, I went off coffee the last two days (with no problems), and last night my ketostick tested negative for ketosis.
Coffee ?? Sweetener ?? Caffeine ?? Wonder which it is ?? Should I cut them all out. It is the ony item I have done differently since the first time. I replaced my case of Diet Mtn. Dew for breakfast with a pot of coffee (thinking it would "regulate" me, and that would help with the weight, water retention etc.). Perhaps this really is part of my problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by softballer View Post
I gave up caffeine and aspartame in hopes that will speed up the process a bit. This is my 4th day and feeling no headache.
So, were you worried about a lack of caffiene headache ? I have a headache with the coffee and the aspartame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madeleine View Post
I lost about 5lbs during induction, and then I immediately started OWL.
What is OWL ?

Quote:
... gaining 1.5 overnight from that
Do you recommend weighing daily ? I do this, but I have heard it is not very good for you to do mentally. Is it true that it's best to weigh once a week.

Quote:
A push button society has spoiled us a bit, I fear.
Will the Staples "easy button" work for me here ??
Edwards20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 06:09 PM   #52
Senior LCF Member

I can only answer the Staples question: NO, unfortunately it won't work! LOL - very funny.

Yeah, I have no idea what my own problem is with the whole weight thing so I am not an expert for anyone. I have good advice and I have read the book 3-4 times but I can't guarantee that it will work for anyone if it isn't working for me. That much I do know.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:56 AM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kidsdogsbirds
WOE: Atkins ... because it works!
Start Date: January 3 2006
Im sure someone has suggested the fat fast mentioned by Atkins? When I stalled I did the fat fast exactly as recommended and it kicked me back into losing...
kidsdogsbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 05:00 PM   #54
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Teresa123
Stats: 350+/size 12/size 6
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Oct 2006
Edwards 20--I'll take a stab at some of your questions, at least to the best of my ability!

Fat Fast---recommended by Dr. A only for those that are extremely metabolically resistant. He defines this as someone how cannot lose on a 1000 calorie balanced diet (not necessarily low carb) or someone who does not lose at all while doing a clean 14 day induction. In those cases he recommends 1000 calories that are at least 90% fat, spread out over 5 small "meals." There aren't a lot of foods that contain 90% fat, but cream cheese and macadamia nuts are a couple. This should only be followed for a few days, no more than a week, with the goal of getting into ketosis or losing weight. During this time you only eat the high fat items, nothing else but tons of water.

The hysterectomy or any other medical problem---everyone is different. I have hypothyroidism---and it's not a "light case"---many say this slows them down but it does not impact my loss. I think all of our bodies react differently to different foods---medical issues or not---and it's just a matter of trial and error. Which leads to the sweetners and caffeine questions. This also seems to be completely different for everyone but these are often named as the common culprits when weight loss doesn't progress. I gave up caffeine but only because I was giving up aspartame which is in Diet Dew---my previous beverage of choice. I had a feeling it might be slowing me down, I might have been right, might have been wrong but after a couple of weeks I didn't miss the caffeine or the aspartame so I figure, why mess with it.

OWL is Ongoing Weight Loss. In Atkins, this is the phase after induction. Depending on which version of Atkins a person is following, that guides you to which carbs to start adding. In all plans (I believe) you add in 5 carb increments each week until you are out of ketosis or stop losing, at which point you back down to the previous week's carb levels to continue losing. In the newest version adding carbs is done by following a ladder in which each rung represents a different food group that the carbs need to come from. In the older versions you choose what foods to add--just make them healthy and only 5 carbs worth.

Weighing daily, several times a day, weekly, or never is a personal choice. For me it's kind of like a science experiment so I weigh twice a day and as a result I feel like I have a pretty good understanding of the cycles my body goes through. It also helps me determine if my body "likes" new foods that I introduce. That being said, some people get very emotionally wrapped up in the scale and if that is the case---limit it to weekly or less. Your weight is going to bounce up and down based on a zillion different factors and if you might freak out when you go up for no "obvious" reason, then don't put yourself through it. More than one person has sabatoged their low carb plan by getting frustrated by what they were seeing on the scale. I think it's important to measure at least once a month so that if the scale isn't moving, you have another way of determining if you are on track.

Whew, that was long! Hope it helps a little.
Teresa123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 02:58 PM   #55
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Rebky
I'm new here, and skimming thru all this cuz I started induction 3 days ago. I'm getting discouraged reading that so many people can be in ketosis and yet not losing? (I havn't lost my cravings completely yet so I'm needing inspiration to get over this hump I think)

One thing I find is that I get very tired on Atkins and my excersize endurance gets hammered on. This concerns me and tempts me to add more carbs. I've heard a bit here and there about ******* diet... is there a place I can learn more about the plan and science behind that... ?
Rebky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 01:41 PM   #56
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Ha Ha, the Easy Button

Good one Edwards20.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:17 AM   #57
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DizzyUpTheGirl
Stats: 249.8/231(restart)/190(mini-goal)
Start Date: January 8, 2007... Restart AGAIN 9/16/10 @ 231
My second week

Hey everyone. I started my induction almost 2 weeks ago... Now I usually weigh myself on Monday morning.... This monday I lost 6.5 pounds (Yay!) lol. Well all week I've been feeling really confident, so I decided to get greedy and hop on the scale Friday instead of waiting till Monday... The scale only showed a half a pound difference!!! I just wanted to cry and eat all the bread in the world lol! Do you guys think I was just having an "up" day on the scale and it will be different Monday?? I'm really hoping so! lol. Thanks!!
DizzyUpTheGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 09:58 AM   #58
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Hi Dizzy

When I did induction, I hit a road block in the third week and went two weeks without losing anything. Then the lbs started falling off again so yes, you probably will see good things on Monday. Good Luck.

I'm frustrated cause I haven't lost anything for two weeks. I haven't cheated, but am climbing the carb ladder. I'm at 30 now and I guess I'm going to have to drop back down. Everyone keeps telling me to hang, all will be okay, so I'm sticking with it.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:11 AM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DizzyUpTheGirl
Stats: 249.8/231(restart)/190(mini-goal)
Start Date: January 8, 2007... Restart AGAIN 9/16/10 @ 231
Dreamcomtru.... Thanks for the encouragement!
And... are you exercising?? drinking enough water??? hmm... are you losing inches??? Do you know if it's okay to eat sugarless tomato sauce/spaghetti sauce on induction? Lol sorry for the questions, hehe
DizzyUpTheGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 03:08 PM   #60
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Hi Dizzy

YES. I exercise every day. I walked the trail around the golf course this morning for a total of 70 minutes. I work full time and walk every lunch hour with a buddy. At least 45 mintues each time. If there is a day I can't go walking I hit the gym and do at least 45 min. on the elliptical. I need to work on muscle toning because they say improving your muscles increases your metabolism, thus you lose more weight. Ugh. I have a formal weigh in on Tuesday with a group, so we'll see. I try to drink at least 64 oz of water per day. Sometimes I drink more. I don't drink diet soda anymore thinking that had something to do with the lack of loss. I do drink 2 cups of coffee a day. They say caffein slows weight loss too. So, aside from the coffee, I think I'm doing everything right. I'm determined to stick with this.

Yes, you can have sugarless tomato sauce on induction. In fact, we make cabbage lasagne with it. You can have full fat mozzerella and use cream cheese instead of ricotta. It's so good. Or put your tomato sauce on shirataki noodles. MMM. It's like spaghetti. The noodles are a little chewey but good.

Hang in there. You are doing the right thing. Since Nov. 9th, I've lost 31 lbs. That's the most I've ever lost. I just wish it would start falling off again. We'll see. If you find any suggestions on the boards, let me know. I will do the same.