Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2012, 06:25 PM   #541
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Skinnurse
Stats: 235/.../175
WOE: LC..ACE
Start Date: 01/07/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltmclandry View Post
I'm in my second week of induction and I'm just not losing weight. I've used the ketone stix and typically fall in the "small" category but I read that any amount should result in weight loss. I lost a few pounds of initial water weight and haven't seen the scale move since.

A typical menu consists of:

Breakfast- 2 eggs, bacon, decaf coffee with 2 splenda and creme
Lunch- salad (lettuce, shredded cheese, mushrooms, cucumbers) with grilled chicken and whole fat bleu cheese dressing
Dinner- turkey lettuce wraps or salmon fillet or other meat

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I have zero words of wisdom other than become active on one of the threads on the Induction board. THe ladies are simply amazing!! A new February Challenge will start up tomorrow. I find they help hold me accountable for what I consume.

I too am hating the scale right now. I stick with it, stick with it but still I seem like I'm not doing well.

I also agree that 80+ pounds isn't a realistic goal. I love the 5lb idea. For me, I go 10 pound increments at a time. I am in the 190s. So my goal is to get into the 180s. When I reach that goal, then I will adjust to the 170s as my next goal. I also agree with our dream size? As an athlete forever I would give anything to see 135lbs again but I know after 3 kids, being 35 years old and struggling to even lose the weight I have gained since being pregnant. 135 is just not going to be a weight that I can be happy with. I dont want to have to eat grass and work out hours a day to maintain. I am quite happy if I can reach 155/160 and be able to maintain a healthy happy life but still enjoy things like dessert once in awhile. My overall goal is only 160 pounds and to be there by fall. THat's a average of 1.5lbs a week or less. If I reach it before then AWESOME if not, then I am not setting myself up for failure which only leads to giving up
Long term goal: 160lbs

Weeks on LC: 1 week
Total Weight loss : 5 lbs
Mandy
Skinnurse is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2012, 08:21 AM   #542

Gallery: jojohaligo
Stats: 183/173/160 (5'9")
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 22 Jan 2012
Quote:
I'm in my second week of induction and I'm just not losing weight. I've used the ketone stix and typically fall in the "small" category but I read that any amount should result in weight loss. I lost a few pounds of initial water weight and haven't seen the scale move since.

Lunch- salad (lettuce, shredded cheese, mushrooms, cucumbers) with grilled chicken and whole fat bleu cheese dressing

Hi ltmclandry,

I can only tell you what I have noticed for myself and hopefully you can get something out of it. I am day 13 into induction. I follow the induction plan very strictly and keep a food journal of everything I am eating with carb and protein counts. I do drink some coffee throughout the day and I do not eat any splenda or other sweetener at all. I am not hungry at all between meals, which is great. I use the Ketostix and I am in ketosis, but just. So far I have only lost 4 pounds and the first three happened in the first few days. Could be discouraging...but...I also took measurements when I first started and my waist is 1.5 inches smaller!

So don't give up! Maybe give up the scale and weigh once per week, and use measurements.

Hope that helps!

J.
jojohaligo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 06:55 AM   #543
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rice.tracy
WOE: SomerSize
Start Date: June 27, 2011
I have been on induction for 2 weeks. I started exercising for 3-4 times weekly, stopped birth control, and drinking 82-100 ounces of water daily. I have not lost any weight. I am not sure what is going on. I am discourgaed and don't know what to do. Any advice
rice.tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:53 AM   #544
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NewJoyof2012
Stats: 163/140.8/105 5'3 size 12/size 6-7/size 2
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: january 2,2012- second time
Quote:
Originally Posted by rice.tracy View Post
I have been on induction for 2 weeks. I started exercising for 3-4 times weekly, stopped birth control, and drinking 82-100 ounces of water daily. I have not lost any weight. I am not sure what is going on. I am discourgaed and don't know what to do. Any advice
hi rice.tracy,
Ive been on induction since january 2nd . my weight started at 148 and dropped to 140.8. Now, I am 143. My weight goes up and down all the time. All i can say is, dont give up. Your body is just starting to recognize that you are on a diet. It takes a while. Last summer, i exercised and watched my calorie intake for 4 months and i didnt see the scale move AT ALL....it was frustrating running 5 miles a day, eating 1000 calories a day, and doing situps, etc.
Just give it time. Are you drinking coffee? are you measuring yourself?
Im losing weight very slowly but inches are coming off.
NewJoyof2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:08 AM   #545
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rice.tracy
WOE: SomerSize
Start Date: June 27, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJoyof2012 View Post
hi rice.tracy,
Ive been on induction since january 2nd . my weight started at 148 and dropped to 140.8. Now, I am 143. My weight goes up and down all the time. All i can say is, dont give up. Your body is just starting to recognize that you are on a diet. It takes a while. Last summer, i exercised and watched my calorie intake for 4 months and i didnt see the scale move AT ALL....it was frustrating running 5 miles a day, eating 1000 calories a day, and doing situps, etc.
Just give it time. Are you drinking coffee? are you measuring yourself?
Im losing weight very slowly but inches are coming off.
The only cheat i have is coffee. How bad will that stall me?
rice.tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:33 AM   #546

Gallery: jojohaligo
Stats: 183/173/160 (5'9")
Start Date: 22 Jan 2012
Quote:
I am NEVER giving up coffee. I just love it too much. So far it has been exactly three weeks. I have now lost 7 pounds. It was the second week that was the most discouraging, but this past week it has started to come off again. But, as I said I am very strict with it. I also don't have as much to lose (16 to go) and it can go slower at that point too.
jojohaligo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:07 PM   #547
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: asdf1234
Stats: 185/160/145
WOE: atkins induction
Start Date: 1/5/12
im sitting here eating a big bowl of spinach bc i cannot stand these lower leg aches any longer... its constant now (i mean, it will fade and get stronger throughout the day but its every day) and i posted a thread about it and someone said it was from low potassium. well i take the 99mg potassium supplements now and a multivitamin and it didnt do anything. so tonight i have a huge test to study for and i already know i wont be able to concentrate so im eating the spinach hoping it will help could the aches be caused by anything else?? has anyone had this consistently? i think im going to post this in a couple places...
asdf1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:18 AM   #548
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: myluvbugg
Stats: 359.4/313.5/200
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 12/13/10 (starting again, and again), 11/2/11 agai
try magnesium - i take 200 mgs when i get cramps in my legs or feet, and it goes away within a minute. You can take more if you need to.
myluvbugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:11 AM   #549
Senior LCF Member

a couple people kept saying that, im definitely going to look into getting a mag supplement... the thing is, they arent leg cramps (i get them alot BUT not one since starting atkins, hmmm), its just lower leg aching. the only reason im stressing the difference is bc everyone seems to be saying cramnps and its def. not that; but i dont know if thats the same thing or not.... decided to do the magnesium and at the end of the week, go see the doctor if no change
Old 02-13-2012, 07:02 AM   #550
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Susannaj4
Stats: 191/183/145 5'9"
Start Date: Nov 9,2011--Again
Quote:

I am not losing weight either, but i am losing inches. So measure those before you freak out too much. And remember we are here for you.

First tip-- what color is your tongue? If it's white, cut out the cheese and mushrooms completely for a week and see ifnthat helps. White means yeast candida.
When i think of more i'll let ya know.
Susannaj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:41 AM   #551
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MamaM@c
I am on my 15th day and have lost 12 pounds so far. I am doing Atkins and trying to stay at 20 carbs, but I am not being fanatical about counting every 0.6 carb in my artificial sweetner or coffee creamer! I have eaten a very small amount of potatoes, carrots, and low carb bread in the induction phase and continue to lose. So, if you are someone who feels like you just can't do this because so much meat, eggs, and cheese makes you want to puke......then lighten up a little and see if 20 carbs of anything you want to use it on will let you lose weight just as well! I know this won't work for everyone, but if it will work for you and keep you staying on the low carb easier, then go for it!
MamaM@c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:46 AM   #552
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MamaM@c
Oh, and by the way, the more you have to lost the faster you lose it. those of you with 20 lbs. or less to lose are going to see it come off a lot slower than us really fat people who have 50 or more to lose! LOL!
MamaM@c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:31 AM   #553
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hope2bthin
Stats: 5'7" 201.8/146/138
WOE: Atkins Main. +high protein+cal. deficit 4 wt loss
Start Date: 1/8/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf1234 View Post
im sitting here eating a big bowl of spinach bc i cannot stand these lower leg aches any longer... its constant now (i mean, it will fade and get stronger throughout the day but its every day) and i posted a thread about it and someone said it was from low potassium. well i take the 99mg potassium supplements now and a multivitamin and it didnt do anything. so tonight i have a huge test to study for and i already know i wont be able to concentrate so im eating the spinach hoping it will help could the aches be caused by anything else?? has anyone had this consistently? i think im going to post this in a couple places...
Low Calcium or simply to much acidosis causes cramps. Make sure you consume 19 grams of carb each day for a while, never less. I always take 2 vitamins each day and about 2500-3000 grams of calcium each day.

Also load up on magnesium, potassium, and drink 10 glasses of water. Don't overdo the water. It may just be related to too much acidosis and you need to slow down ketosis a tad.... while your body is adjusting.
Hope this helps.
Stay strong.
hope2bthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:28 PM   #554
Senior LCF Member

it does help, thanks. its hard to pick out what is most important that i can work with- cannot afford, or want to, take a billion supplements a day. so i know i want to take magnesium while also taking a multivitamin and potassium that i take already....
with the water, i definitely overdid it at first! my body became in a constant state of dehydration because i was constantly drinking water and flushing out my electrolytes (and peeing about 12 times a day, it was nuts), so i keep it between 60-80 oz a day, which i think works best for my body.
you seem to know alot about this- and every single person i talk to mentions leg cramps. i do not get leg cramps (that has stopped since starting atkins, i used to once in awhile) but its a constant ache in my lower legs. i keep hoping someone would let me know if that is caused by the same things? im sure im nitpicking but it seems odd that every single person on these threads mention the cramping but not the plain ol' aching
Old 02-15-2012, 10:57 PM   #555
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hippygypsykaren
Stats: (277) 273.5/255/160
WOE: Low Carb
If you don't want to take a bunch of supplements you can get the following mgs of potassium from 3 ounces each of the following foods:

Avocado 540 mgs
Canned Clams 534 mgs
Cantaloupe (1 cup not 3 oz) 494 mgs
Cod 439 mgs
Halibut 490 mgs

And Magnesium is abundant in the following foods:

Halibut 170 mg in 1/2 a fillet (two birds with one stone here)
Spinach 157 mg in 1 cup cooked
Pepitas 151 mg in 1 oz
Frozen Okra 94 mg in 1 cup
hippygypsykaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:31 AM   #556
Senior LCF Member

.... i like cantaloupes and spinach out of all of them ... and i cant have cantaloupe im honestly not a picky eater- maybe im just a potassium/mag picky eater thanks for looking that up, that was really nice!
i am going to look up other foods today, i get what you are saying. ive been eating clean lately but it hasnt moved the scale so i might as well add some carby veggies!
Old 02-16-2012, 06:16 AM   #557
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: BethanyOSU2010
Start Date: August 2011
I am getting so frustrated and just want to give up on this diet! I feel as if I'm doing everything right on this diet. Eggs for breakfast, Salad with chicken/some other meat for lunch and some meat with either a serving of veggies or a small salad for dinner. I'm eating the full fat ranch and mayo when I have it... I'm also doing zumba for 1 hour 5-6 times a week, but the weight is not coming off!!!!! I have quite a bit of weight to lose, about 80 lbs, and in the past 2 weeks I have only lost 4 lbs. I don't know what I'm doing wrong?! Any advice would be appreciated
BethanyOSU2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:36 AM   #558
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: capricapers
Stats: goal 150
WOE: Ketogenic 85 F/12 P/3 C
Start Date: 1/7/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by BethanyOSU2010 View Post
I am getting so frustrated and just want to give up on this diet! I feel as if I'm doing everything right on this diet. Eggs for breakfast, Salad with chicken/some other meat for lunch and some meat with either a serving of veggies or a small salad for dinner. I'm eating the full fat ranch and mayo when I have it... I'm also doing zumba for 1 hour 5-6 times a week, but the weight is not coming off!!!!! I have quite a bit of weight to lose, about 80 lbs, and in the past 2 weeks I have only lost 4 lbs. I don't know what I'm doing wrong?! Any advice would be appreciated
Gosh, I don't know. Have you gotten a clean bill of heath from your Doc as far as thyroid and all that?
capricapers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:14 AM   #559
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capricapers View Post
Gosh, I don't know. Have you gotten a clean bill of heath from your Doc as far as thyroid and all that?
Last year I had everything checked and everything came back normal. This is the weirdest thing, I have never had trouble like this on a diet
Old 02-16-2012, 09:26 AM   #560
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: capricapers
Stats: goal 150
WOE: Ketogenic 85 F/12 P/3 C
Start Date: 1/7/2013
Quote:
Last year I had everything checked and everything came back normal. This is the weirdest thing, I have never had trouble like this on a diet
Check out the meat/eggs/fat only start topic. Some people say that gets things going well. Maybe some grains of knowledge there?

Protein (eggs/meat) and fat fast anyone?
capricapers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:48 AM   #561
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: EatRite
Stats: 260/215/150
Start Date: Oct 2009
Frustrated

Quote:
How long have you been on Atkins? Isn't losing 2# per week a good thing? I thought after Induction is over, the average for a woman is losing about 1# per week.And from what you say you are eating, it looks like you are undereating. Are you eating enough fat?
EatRite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:05 AM   #562
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatRite View Post
How long have you been on Atkins? Isn't losing 2# per week a good thing? I thought after Induction is over, the average for a woman is losing about 1# per week.And from what you say you are eating, it looks like you are undereating. Are you eating enough fat?
I feel since I'm still in the induction phase I should be losing. I keep trying to eat more fat, so we'll see if maybe increasing my fat intake helps. I'm not giving up quite yet! Just trying to stop being so discouraged!
Old 02-16-2012, 11:39 AM   #563
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: EatRite
Stats: 260/215/150
Start Date: Oct 2009
Frustrated

Quote:
I feel since I'm still in the induction phase I should be losing. I keep trying to eat more fat, so we'll see if maybe increasing my fat intake helps. I'm not giving up quite yet! Just trying to stop being so discouraged!
During the two week Induction, you primarily lose water weight, that's why so many people lose big numbers in the beginning, especially week 1.
And the heavier you are to start off, the more you lose percentage wise during that time.
Cutting out the junk food and sugar, (Junk food has tons of salt, so we hold a lot of water from that), you lose the water you were retaining. Even people starting other diets like Weight Watchers lose a lot the first week or two.

Then after that the weight loss slows down on Atkins, and you begin to lose fat. Some people even stop losing at all during week 3-4, while the body adjusts.
And the INDUCTION phase is not a lose weight fast phase. It is to begin the Atkins diet properly and prepares your body to burn off your own fat. It puts your body into ketosis to burn your stored fat.

Are you following any specific Atkins book?
EatRite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:04 AM   #564
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: drdrew
Stats: 217/188.5/175
WOE: atkins
Start Date: jan 9, 2012
Quote:
2 pounds a week of fat loss after the first two weeks is fabulous....
drdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:36 AM   #565
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hope2bthin
Stats: 5'7" 201.8/146/138
WOE: Atkins Main. +high protein+cal. deficit 4 wt loss
Start Date: 1/8/2012
I lose weight slowly too. But it's coming off. So I'm happy.

Quote:
Last yr is a long time ago. You should probably be checked again if it has been longer than 8 months. i too should go but haven't gotten around to it.

I always tell myself... all that matters is the weight comes off. Not how fast. Plus slower usually means you maintain your tone. Hope things have changed for you since this post. Oh btw, I definitely think the modified fat fast at 1200 calories in DANDR helps me. Might help you too.

Last edited by hope2bthin; 02-25-2012 at 05:42 AM..
hope2bthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:34 AM   #566
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Locarbn
Stats: 287/282.8/281.4/190 (SW/CW/LW/GW) 5'10"
WOE: RNY/Low Carb, Moderate Fat
Start Date: February 23, 2012
Quote:
Its good to figure out what stalls you. I worked with a personal trainer a few years ago and he had me give up artificial sweetner and lower my fat intake. I started using stevia instead of splenda, lowfat half-half, gave up bacon for bk and used turkey sausage, substituted one of my 2 whole eggs in the morning for 1 egg white and I started to lose.

Foods that stall me are artificial sweetners, alcohol of any kind, nuts, cheese, grains (even low carb bread) and high fat meals. I used to eat the muffins in a minute made from flax meal the last time I did low carb and that did not stall my weight. Also I ordered an almond meal bread that didn't stall my weight loss. I just didn't care for the texture. It is a heavy texture. I probably still have a loaf in my freezer. Good to have on hand when you really want to eat a sandwich or make french toast. I will probably add the muffins back somewhere down the road but not now.
Locarbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:38 AM   #567
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hope2bthin View Post
Low Calcium or simply to much acidosis causes cramps. Make sure you consume 19 grams of carb each day for a while, never less. I always take 2 vitamins each day and about 2500-3000 grams of calcium each day.

Also load up on magnesium, potassium, and drink 10 glasses of water. Don't overdo the water. It may just be related to too much acidosis and you need to slow down ketosis a tad.... while your body is adjusting.
Hope this helps.
Stay strong.
If you are losing a lot of water weight, your potassium could be low. I keep straight potassium tablets on hand and take 3 at a time when I get severe leg cramps. I can lose potassium quickly since I had weight loss surgery. Drinking a lot of water can also cause this conition. Good to check your potassium level with your doctor because too much potassium is bad for your heart.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:40 AM   #568
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaM@c View Post
I am on my 15th day and have lost 12 pounds so far. I am doing Atkins and trying to stay at 20 carbs, but I am not being fanatical about counting every 0.6 carb in my artificial sweetner or coffee creamer! I have eaten a very small amount of potatoes, carrots, and low carb bread in the induction phase and continue to lose. So, if you are someone who feels like you just can't do this because so much meat, eggs, and cheese makes you want to puke......then lighten up a little and see if 20 carbs of anything you want to use it on will let you lose weight just as well! I know this won't work for everyone, but if it will work for you and keep you staying on the low carb easier, then go for it!
Congratulations on your weight loss!! That's awesome!!
Old 02-27-2012, 07:52 AM   #569
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
I gave up on Atkins years ago when I gained weight while trying the plan. Years later I was under a hospital plan that consisted of low carbs and lower fat cuts of meat and lower fat in general. I was surprised when I consistently lost weight when I didn't before. What I have learned about my body is that it doesn't like high carbs or high fat and definitely not grains, I can't even do low carb bread (with the exception of almond meal bread). I use low fat, low carb salad dressings and low carb, low fat mayo. It takes me hours in the grocery store because I have to read the ingredients on every product. No high fructose corn syrup, no corn syrups, very little to zero sugar grams, very little to zero sugar alchols, I try to keep meals less than 15 to 20 grams of fat. I estimate that I get in about 100 grams of fat per day which is not considered lowfat that's why I call it moderate. Too low a fat count or too high a fat count and I will stall. It took experimenting to find out the right numbers. My optimal carb count is 60 or less. I am not counting during induction because all my foods are practically zero with the exception of my coffee with cream and stevia.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:54 AM   #570
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
4 lbs i 2 weeks is 2 lbs per week. That sounds good to me.