Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2011, 07:13 PM   #451
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jmrmichelle
Stats: 317/290.2/199 (for starters)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 4/1/11
I just started induction on April 1st, and about mid way through the month, I had about a 5-7 day stall also where I was sure I was following the plan, but just was not losing ... it turned out that I was retaining water for TOM, and once it arrived, the "whoosh" of weight just dropped off out of thin air ... so hang in there, it WILL come off, and keep pushing the water, even if you are retaining, because it will ALL come out eventually! Good luck!

Also, Lilac, I see you are still on induction ... I have a large amount of weight to lose, any ideas on how long I should stay on induction? Have been on it for 4 weeks now ... I'm thinking until I lose at least 50-60 lbs, I'm staying on induction. Anyone have any input on what works best?

Last edited by jmrmichelle; 05-01-2011 at 07:15 PM.. Reason: Addition
jmrmichelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2011, 08:59 PM   #452
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LilacBruze
Stats: 272/228.6/175ish
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: 7/1/2014
I am doing prolonged Induction with my doctor's approval for the major purpose of lowering my blood glucose (I'm diabetic). I believe that the Induction timeline as given in the original Atkins plan was twofold - one, to start ketosis, and two, to avoid burning out and giving up on the diet - but I don't see a reason to limit Induction to only 2 weeks as long as your nutrition doesn't suffer and you can sustain eating that way.
LilacBruze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:44 AM   #453
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LilacBruze
Stats: 272/228.6/175ish
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: 7/1/2014
Oh! I forgot to answer your question!

Since everyone loses weight at different rates, it would be hard to tell you how long it would take to lose 50-60 lbs. I know I am insulin resistant and water retention is a major side effect of my medications, so I lose it slower than someone without those issues. It's taken me 8 weeks to lose 30 lbs, with stall after stall aggravating me along the way. But if I average out the weightloss per week, I come up with 3.8 lbs a week, which is enough to pat myself on the back over for sure!
LilacBruze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:43 AM   #454
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dropkickme785
Stats: 202/192/155
WOE: atkins induction
Start Date: 4/11/11
stuck!

Hi everyone Im new to the boards and havent really posted just been reading alot but i def need help. Ive been on induction 3 weeks the first week i lost 6 pounds the second week i lost 3 then the third week i gained 2 pounds!! My husband is still looseing and doing great we just started week four and he is down 25 pounds while im only down 7 pounds so unfair! Im not a huge meat eater or breakfast gal. Here is a normal day menu can anyone see anything wrong?
Breakfast-2 cups coffe(with 1 tbspn half&half and 1 packet splenda or 1tbspn sugar free davinci vanilla syrup) with a atkins day break bar
mid morning snack-string cheese or pepperoni
lunch-cucumber slices 3 cherry tomatoes 1 tbspn homemade ranch and 1 slice turkey
Snack-string cheese or hard boiled egg
Dinner- chicken,cheesey brocolli, squash, or meatloaf,green beans, mashed cauliflower or steak and spegehtti squash,(always 5 oz of meat and 2 veggies 1/2 cup each)
I drink about 60 ounces of water a day and take a multi vitamin i know i need more water and im trying to work my way up. any ideas?

One friend suggested i eat regualr(non low carb) for a day then jump back on and it might kick start me again. What do you think? thanks!

Last edited by dropkickme785; 05-03-2011 at 10:44 AM..
dropkickme785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:13 PM   #455
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: PlusSizeMommy
Stats: 179lbs
Start Date: 04/20/2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilacBruze View Post
When you say "gained back", was that continuing on low carb or going back to eating like you did before?

The first time I did Atkins, I lost 40 lbs. It was great! But then I went off the diet, ate like I did before, and the weight came right back on. Big mistake on my part. Then with all my medical issues, I gained 35 lbs on TOP of the 40 I gained back. Ugh.

My diabetes has shown me that I need to make low carb a permanent way of life. Weight loss is a benefit of eating healthier for me, but that realization took a long time in coming.

I think my stall is over, since I wrote on 4/21, I have lost 3.2 lbs! Total so far is 28.2 lbs gone! Yippee!
I do the Atkins whenever I can. Oh, I bought the giant cupcake and needless to say, they are good. I made oreo cupcakes, Carrot cake cupcakes and chocolate cupcakes. I know, I over did it. lol
PlusSizeMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:36 AM   #456
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: thunderoad
Stats: 330/322/220
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: April 25, 2011
Im a big guy. Started induction again after trying Atkins a couple of years ago with some success. I started Monday April 25th, a week and half ago. I started a 330lbs. Water weight dropped quickly... by Thursday of that same week I was down by 5lbs... by the weekend it was back up to just a lb or two down.

As of this morning, I was 6lbs down and just a tiny bit concerned since Im doing it pretty accurately and not getting the results I recall getting before. If it will come consistently I dont care how long it takes but ive lost 18lbs in a month before so weight comes and goes quickly with me.

Only variations I have made from induction in what call gray areas are, some diet soda with my dinner ... only dinner and occasionally SF Jello at dinner only. Im not sure how these affect me, so I call them gray areas. Im eating until content, not overdoing any of the foods, and usually getting 80+ ounces of water a day.

Anyone got any insight or am i just impatient?
thunderoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:42 AM   #457
Junior LCF Member

thunder-first off congrats on the weight loss so far! im stalled ant the moment and haveing the same problem u are they weight isnt comeing off like it was the first time i did atkins. But i will tell you this i had a friend tell me the diet soda i was drinking is full of sodium (salt) wich was causeing me to retain water so this week i cut out the diet soda and when i weigh in on monday we will see if it helped. maybe you should try that and see if it changes anything? i dont think it could be the sugar free jello my hubs eats that and hes down 25 pounds in a month! (unfair) but keep me updated on how your doing!!
Old 05-05-2011, 11:41 AM   #458
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: thunderoad
Stats: 330/322/220
Start Date: April 25, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropkickme785 View Post
thunder-first off congrats on the weight loss so far! im stalled ant the moment and haveing the same problem u are they weight isnt comeing off like it was the first time i did atkins. But i will tell you this i had a friend tell me the diet soda i was drinking is full of sodium (salt) wich was causeing me to retain water so this week i cut out the diet soda and when i weigh in on monday we will see if it helped. maybe you should try that and see if it changes anything? i dont think it could be the sugar free jello my hubs eats that and hes down 25 pounds in a month! (unfair) but keep me updated on how your doing!!
Im aware of the sodium in cola. Something I would like to bring up in regards to pork rinds... they are loaded with sodium, so i am really trying to keep that to a bare minimum. I will stop the soda for a few days ... I was more concerned with the sweetners telling my body... look sugar... rather than the issue with the sodium.

I even considered getting an OTC water pill since i drink so much water and in no fear of depleting my fluids... A recent blood pressure med i was on had lasik, when I changed docs, they mistakenly called in the same drug minus the lasik, so rather than go back i am just taking it, until i can be seen and have a new script written.

Food wise, this is a typical day.
B: ham/cheese with a little pepper/onion omelet.
L: Rotisserie chicken and either a salad or a induction friendly vegetable
D: Grilled meats or more chicken, or some sort of stir fry, no sauces

Recently added SF Jello as I stated earlier. Its pretty clean eating. Im not pushing any boundaries with creams, sauces, and no casseroles currently either that could push the limits.
thunderoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 02:57 PM   #459
Junior LCF Member

looks clean to me, someone told me im not eating enough during the day and not enough fat. I might try adding butter to my veggies and olive oil to my chicken more cheese etc. u seem to be doing so great.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:41 AM   #460
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: familyjoy2006
Stats: 200/195.5/135
WOE: atkins
Start Date: march26 2011
dropkck me cheese is a big staller for me,atkins talk about this,,
familyjoy2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 09:23 AM   #461
Junior LCF Member

cheese hasent been a big staller for me and its about the only snack i eat since im not a big meat eater. Guess everyone is diffrent, diet soda was my big staller so it went bye bye.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:33 PM   #462
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: fluffiness
Stats: SW: 154 CW:148 GW: 116
Start Date: Apri 2011
Weightloss pattern?

I'm also on prolonged induction now. I lost 4kg (about 9lbs) in 4 weeks now. Dh lost the same amount in one week!!
I stopped eating anything ready made about 3 weeks ago. So no bars and no syrups. I probably should cut back on heavy cream and milk products...

But I have noticed a pattern in my weightloss: I have a given weight, first it stands a few days, then it goes up 2 pounds or even more and then it goes back to the original weight and then it makes a big drop 2-3 pounds. Last time this happened I thought it is TOM but now again I am up 3 pounds but I am fine with it as I know I ate clean and it will drop. Did anyone make a similar experience?

I did make my own version of Waden Farms Chocolate syrup yesterday (water, xanthan and cacao powder plus stevia) but only drizzled a little on my coffee.

Fluffi
fluffiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 11:37 AM   #463
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KalamityKaTT
Stats: 365/311/185
WOE: Low Carb - Induction
Start Date: January 1st 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffiness View Post
I'm also on prolonged induction now. I lost 4kg (about 9lbs) in 4 weeks now. Dh lost the same amount in one week!!
I stopped eating anything ready made about 3 weeks ago. So no bars and no syrups. I probably should cut back on heavy cream and milk products...

But I have noticed a pattern in my weightloss: I have a given weight, first it stands a few days, then it goes up 2 pounds or even more and then it goes back to the original weight and then it makes a big drop 2-3 pounds. Last time this happened I thought it is TOM but now again I am up 3 pounds but I am fine with it as I know I ate clean and it will drop. Did anyone make a similar experience?
Ive been low carbing for a little over 3 months now and I've had this happen several times. Most recently, last sunday I was one weight, and monday morning I was 4 lbs heavier. I had ate clean. I did go out to dinner the night before but all i ate was steak, shrimp, and broccoli. it should not have had that effect on me. by thursday i was down the 4 lbs again and now i'm 3 lbs below that. It was suggested i wasn't consuming enough fat so i upped that and i haven't experienced another up/down cycle but its only been a week so its too soon to tell.

But to answer your questions, yes.. I've experienced it probably 4 times in the last 3 months.
365 - 2/1/11 ~ 275 - 8/13/11 ~ 90#s in 6 months.

Restart
327 - 1/1/14
First mini goal - 275 lbs
---------------------------------------------------
KalamityKaTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:22 PM   #464
Junior LCF Member

hmm i hope i can experiance something like that im stalled and im so bummed about it. and congrats on the awsome weigh tloss everyone i ope i have some good news to report in that dept soon!!
Old 05-10-2011, 11:49 AM   #465
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
I am down 74 pounds now in a little over 7 months, the daily weigh ins and even weekly weigh ins will mess with your head, I did Atkins back in 2005, and lost 80 pounds in 5 months, not being nearly as strict, and not exercising at all, I gained 30 of that back,over 5 years. I was over 300 pounds when I started again 9/27/10. I do know it gets harder as you get older, and I think for those 5 years I was not following the diet, I would eat low carb most of the time but I have IR and I retain water like a water balloon, even one day of cheating can add massive pounds to me, which worries me for long term maintenance, I am so close to being under 200, which I probably have not been since I was 14?? And I am 42, and the harder I try, the harder it seems to be getting, but I am going to the gym 6 days a week, sticking to induction levels and it all evens out over time, I am happy with 10 pounds a month, I have 5 months til my wedding, I will be thrilled if I can get 50 more off til then. Bodies are funny machines, but if you keep plugging and can get past the mental fatigue of not seeing results for a week or two it will catch up, even now I will be so mad, and then all of a sudden a 6 pound loss, so keep trying!
Amber
Old 05-14-2011, 03:11 PM   #466
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: salemskies
Stats: 166/165.4/140 5'10
I'm becoming increasingly frustrated with my lack of weight loss. I've been on induction for nearly 2 weeks but I haven't lost one pound!! I did have some mess-ups that I didn't realize like using half and half when I should have been using cream. I have about 25 pounds I want to lose. They just seem to be holding on to me for dear life!!

I'm reading as much as I can since I'm new to this way of eating, and I know it's about changing your habits. I'm all for that and my sweets cravings are very mild. I prefer fatty full flavored foods anyway! Can someone steer me in the right direction?
salemskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 04:40 AM   #467
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ashleybobby
Stats: 226/211/140
Start Date: Jan 2, 2013
Stalling!!! HELP

I started induction on 4/11. I lost 25 lbs so far...but I have been stalled for the past week!! Please someone tell me that I will bust through this!! Needing some motivation to keep going!!!!!
ashleybobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:48 PM   #468
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Marigirl
Not losing on induction

Hi everybody! This is my first time here. I have been on induction for 5 days and followed it to the letter and I have not lost anything. I am drinking 6 bottles of water a day and 3 cups of green tea. If anyone has suggestions i would really welcome the help.

Marigirl
Marigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:09 AM   #469
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ktalley
WOE: Atkins/SouthBeach
Start Date: May 14th 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleybobby View Post
I started induction on 4/11. I lost 25 lbs so far...but I have been stalled for the past week!! Please someone tell me that I will bust through this!! Needing some motivation to keep going!!!!!

You lost alot of weight in a short period of time. Your body has to adjust it self. It is not natural to loose several pounds a week in the long run. It is a good thing that you stall because all of that weight you have lost are fixing to become permanent fat weight, instead of the initial water weight. For instance. I lost 7 pounds but my clothes fit about the same. A week later I was still down 8 pounds,only one pound more, but this time all my clothes fit alot looser. Right now I am happy I don;t loose 3 pounds per week because it would not be true fat weight lost. Induction is just a boost in your weight loss for you to continue a slow but healthy pattern. You just keep doing what you are doing and you will see that the pounds will come off again, sooooon!
ktalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:10 PM   #470
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kristopia
Stats: 320/228/145
WOE: Low-low carb
Start Date: May, 2011
I'm relatively new to this board but not to Atkins - years ago, I lost 70 lbs on Atkins, but gained it back plus friends. I'm back on it, but have also been stalled for a few weeks now. For those of you stalled, remember that stalls are normal - keep logging your food, don't let hidden carbs slip in, and it'll move again eventually.

I've decided to kick mine up a bit by doing Atkins along with Intermittent Fasting (Welcome to the Fast-5 website | Fast-5 Life). I just started yesterday, but showed a 1 lb drop on the scale today - however, I'm used to fluctuating up a pound or two, then down two, etc., so I'm holding my judgement. It's easier than I expected, though, to wait til 5 p.m. to eat, and not have anything after 10.

I'm extremely insulin resistant and have a history of very slow loss, so we'll see what we see - any pound is good for me!
Kristopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 05:45 PM   #471
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Rachel011235
Stats: 244 / 244 / 175
Start Date: May 2011
Hey all... I was reading through this and while I'm not stuck on induction (yet) I have tried many times to do induction for two weeks without any success on the scale. But I am trying once more in hopes of doing it RIGHT and getting the support I need, even if it's from strangers

I had a specific question about ketosis and the strips.... should I be checking if I'm in ketosis? I have had a metallic taste in my mouth all day and I noticed my breath is pretty bad, but should I make sure that I stay in ketosis by using the strips? Also, anyone know where to buy them in a store rather than online? I'd like to get only a few at first.
Rachel011235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 06:47 PM   #472
Junior LCF Member

also I forgot to metnion about induction....

I have gone on a lot of diets and I found that I lost the most weight when I did calisthenics and weight training. Now that might be because that is the type of exercise I prefer to running or aerobic dancing or whatever... but it's also because increasing muscle tone and muscle mass increases your base/resting metabolism. And this would be especially easy to do on Atkins. I am trying to get into circuit training like Curves (where you do a minute or two of aerobic activity, then weight training to build muscle but also keep up the heart rate before the next round).... I recommend the Workout DVDs with Jackie Warner if you think you are at an intermediate to advanced level for exercising. But anyway, upping the exercise is good to kick start the weight loss again and what better than building muscle mass to increase your base metabolism! Win-win!
Old 05-29-2011, 04:43 PM   #473
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KalamityKaTT
Stats: 365/311/185
WOE: Low Carb - Induction
Start Date: January 1st 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel011235 View Post
Hey all... I was reading through this and while I'm not stuck on induction (yet) I have tried many times to do induction for two weeks without any success on the scale. But I am trying once more in hopes of doing it RIGHT and getting the support I need, even if it's from strangers

I had a specific question about ketosis and the strips.... should I be checking if I'm in ketosis? I have had a metallic taste in my mouth all day and I noticed my breath is pretty bad, but should I make sure that I stay in ketosis by using the strips? Also, anyone know where to buy them in a store rather than online? I'd like to get only a few at first.
If you have the breathe, the decreased hunger, the metallic taste, your in ketosis. It's not necessary to test. That being said, i usually do, once or twice a week for my own piece of mine. Some folks do it all the time, some folks have never once tested and loss weight just fine. It's an individual preference. Additionally, some people chose to test, but never get any results but are indeed in ketosis. So take the strips with a grain of salt.

If you feel like they are something you want, I bought mine at Wal-mart for about 6 bucks. You can find them in the diabetic section near the pharmacy. They carry Reli-On Ketone strips. HTH
KalamityKaTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 08:26 PM   #474
Junior LCF Member

I am pretty sure it is normal for weight to fluctuate day to day, so if you are frustrated with how stubborn the scale is or you put on a few lbs in a day - DON'T WORRY!

It might help to track ketosis rather than stepping on a scale to see your progress. You can buy ketostrips at CVS (with the diabetes testing supplies) and they are pretty cheap and easy and fast! Then reduce your weigh-ins to every 3 days.

And I've heard that cheating can kick start shedding poundage again, but I've heard more that it takes weeks to get back on track and can cause serious gains. Just remember that if you cheat a little bit, don't give up and start over the next day or the next meal so you can binge on what you want while you are cheating. Because it's not the amount of time you cheat, it's how much and what you eat when you cheat. You WILL gain more back if you have a second helping of mashed potatoes. Or if you have a large first helping. When you have a craving, try chewing gum or drinking an entire glass of water or eating ONE piece of sugar free candy (if you can control yourself). I have a major sweet tooth, and I eat one dessert-y food every day. I love the Russell Stover SF candy-- the peanut crunch and toffee ones are my favorite. Coming from a severe compulsive and emotional eater, I will leave the house and go for a walk or shut myself in my room to get away from the kitchen where I just want to binge on anything I can find.

Just remember these things: always always drink enough water. Exercise, even if it's a little bit. Try tracking your food intake on ******.com or another site to find hidden carbs and to keep yourself accountable. And if you cheat, don't go overboard!

--

I'm feeling so motivated today! I haven't done a second weigh-in since I started so I'm hoping that I see a little bit of a difference. I have a specific day that I need to be a specific weight so I can go skydiving! If this doesn't work to get me there, I will have a hard time forgiving myself.

Stay strong, ladies!!!
Old 06-11-2011, 05:57 PM   #475
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Mkb623
Stats: 252/241/145
Start Date: Aug 2010
Just a thought for any one that is stalled. Try cutting out any convenience things like Atkins bars and shakes. Also, you may need more fat. Oh and don't forget to count each splenda pack as one carb!
Mkb623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 05:55 AM   #476
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Pearldrop
Stats: 165/119.2/121 (5'4") Goal reached: 26/12/2011
Start Date: October 2010
Please help. I am applying the induction according to the rules, but I cannot lose weight. Moreover, I am bloated some days and see this 1-2 lbs going up and down from day to day. When I use my ketostix, I see dark pink although I have all signs of ketosis (dry mouth, smell in urine, headache).
I am just 6-7 lbs away from my goal and want to lose them via induction.
Please tell me what worked best for you during induction and how you broke stalls.
Many many thanks.

Cheers all.
Pearldrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:35 AM   #477
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rebecca1902
Stats: 350/255/180
Start Date: 01.08.1993
Please someone help.....I am so discouraged....in the first 9 days of induction I lost 15 pounds. I have been doing the very strict '72 version of the diet. This is my third week on indution (day 22) and I went to the doctor this morning and when I weighed I had gained it all back!!!! I haven't cheated and have been exercising, I don't know what to do....it took me a week to get into ketosis and have been everyday since up until a week ago and my sticks stopped turning and I am eating the same things as when I was in ketosis...I don't want to fail.....again....
rebecca1902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 05:08 AM   #478
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: free2bedanny
Stats: 203/199/170
Start Date: July 5, 2011
I am curious to know if you getting enought fat. Up your fat and protein intake and go to 15 net carbs per day. It sounds like you aren't getting enough fat.
free2bedanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:19 PM   #479
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Cbbeefy8
Stats: SW 375 CW 364 GW 200
Start Date: July 19
I have gone through the Induction a few times and I always see the best results when I stick to ONLY the acceptable foods list. Its obviously much harder, but I always have immediate success and reach ketosis much faster. No nuts, no Atkins bars, no Atkins shakes, no aspartame, no caffeine. I just started again and I'm doing it right this time. I was a little uneducated when I first tried it. So far lost 11lbs in 6 days!!! Just FYI Good luck everyone!

Last edited by Cbbeefy8; 07-25-2011 at 12:21 PM..
Cbbeefy8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:31 PM   #480
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rebecca1902
Stats: 350/255/180
Start Date: 01.08.1993
Thanks for the info....I have cut out all caffeine to see if that makes a difference. I only used splenda in my coffee. Now that I am cutting out the coffee I don't use any sugar substitutes. As for the protein and fat, I am being very 'by the book' shall we say. I do not eat any low carb products or nuts. I have even cut out cheese to try to see if that works. Thanks again for your help....keep your fingers crossed that it works.....
rebecca1902 is offline   Reply With Quote