Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2010, 05:39 PM   #421
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mom2-8
Stats: 2 day ppd 203/146/140? (5'10)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: August 1, 2010
Wow congratulations Bejewelme! Can you give me an idea of what your menu looks like? I am stalling out and wondering what I am doing wrong. Did you cheat at all in 10 weeks?
mom2-8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2010, 05:57 PM   #422
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
No I really didnt cheat, I had a few low carb beers along the way but counted them.

Breakfast is almost always an atkins shake

Lunch is always meat left over from dinner

Dinner is always meat with veggies, I make all kinds of things, I stick to 20 carbs a day, 6 I count for my half and half you can do it, but remember every little cheat here and there may not be that many calories but knocks you out of ketosis, that is why I try not to cheat, I didnt even cheat on Thanksgiving, I am getting so close to the 100 pound mark, it is making my decision easy not to cheat over Christmas.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:56 PM   #423
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Skassira
Stats: 140/140/115
WOE: Atkins - Induction
Start Date: December 12, 2010
Hi guys,

I'm new to the diet and this website, I just started on the 12th. I also started running everyday along with the diet. However, I'm having a hard time finding snacks that will satisfy my cracker or sugar cravings and the first two days I gave in and had a couple crackers and a cookie. So bad! I know that probably messed with my ketosis path but yesterday and today I've been very strict with it.

Can you guys give me some advice on how to stay strict on the diet? I'm normally not a fat-eating person I love bread and wheat and cereal and crackers... basically the devil of Atkins.

Also if you have any good induction snacks that will hold me over since I'm a college student I don't have time for meals much and rely on little snacks to make it to dinner time, also because I'm not that culinarily talented...

Thanks!
-Sammie
Skassira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:30 PM   #424
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: fembomb
Stats: Highest 210/198/118
WOE: Atkins + HHCG (Fishy Vegetarian)
Start Date: Atkins since 1998
Dont know if you are on Induction or not..

But here are my suggestions..
Sunflower Seeds..
Small amount of nuts..
Pumpkin seeds..
Hard Cheese..

You can find low carb snack foods here
Low Carbohydrate > Snack Products - Netrition.com

I find that I need one or two protein shakes a day to keep my blood sugar normal
that has kept me away from sugar for a looong time..
I just had to retrain my brain to know that i needed protein not sugar..

Last edited by fembomb; 12-15-2010 at 07:34 PM..
fembomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 06:06 PM   #425

Sammie- the crackers are hard to find alternatives for there are some flax ones but I like making ones with cheese, just melt parm or mozzarella in the micro on parchement paper sprinkle with salt or seasonings, 0 carbs and slightly crunchy! I prefer nuts to get my salty crunchy fix but I buy the 100 calorie packs for portion control could I could eat a pound of nuts at one time. Honestly if you stick to it your cravings will dimenish for the crackers and stuff.
Bejewelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 01:04 PM   #426
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Determined2
Major Stall. Should I cheat?

So I've been doing Atkins since November 29. I have been on it for almost 3 weeks. I have lost a total of 15 pounds, which I know is something that I should be very thankful for. The thing is, I lost all that weigh within the first two weeks. i have not lost a single pound this week, and I am very frustrated. I have had a few people tell me that I need to cheat for a day or two, and then return to my no-carb lifestyle. I'm so frustrated that I'm considering it. Should I stick it out and continue even though I stopped losing weight? Or should I let myself cheat for a few days to restart the process? Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks!
Determined2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 05:34 AM   #427
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: fembomb
Stats: Highest 210/198/118
WOE: Atkins + HHCG (Fishy Vegetarian)
Start Date: Atkins since 1998
Cheating is really not what Atkins is all about..
that is not how to change ones lifestyle...
and i dont see how it works..
every time i have eaten a very high carb food..
i Gain weight..bc my body starts to retain water all over again..
then i have to drink extra water and wait a week ..
to get back to the weight i started at..
if i eat high carb for a day or two..
especially something yeasty like drinking beer..
i might gain as much as 10 pounds of water..
i just dont see how cheating is a good idea if your motivation is for weight loss
and to see the scale move down...
besides..you worked hard to get into ketosis..
your body is now burning FAT at an optimal level..
why would you want to knock yourself out of ketosis??
Old 12-19-2010, 06:15 AM   #428
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: can't weight
Stats: 236.6/172.2/135-150
WOE: Atkins NANY -extended induction
Start Date: 29/04/10
post induction stalls are so common- they should be written about in the book. I didn't lose for almost a month after my first 10lbs. Give your body a chance to adjust and you will start losing again. Cheating is completely counter-productive!
can't weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 06:27 AM   #429
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Dragon Lady
Stats: 200/190/160
Start Date: December 2010
Hey Sammie

I just started Atkins on the 20th of December and I have lost 8lbs already and i just stated my second week today. I eat salmon & mayo on a celery stick as a snack. I love it. Also cheese sticks, Turkey bites which are a type of pepperoni. A salad with shredded cheddar, caeser salad no crotons. There are tons of different things to eat just make sure that you are eating things that also have fibre. Also drinks lots of water. Good luck on your way to being a healthier thinner you.

Margaret
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:27 AM   #430
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: fire27503
Stats: 157/136/125
Start Date: Restart date: Feb. 25, 2013
Great info / just posting to save to read later.
fire27503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 04:06 AM   #431
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Nanatravers
Stats: 180
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 23/02/2011
Hiya

This is the first forum I have joined so forgive my newbieness.Thanks for your words of wisdom, ie sticking to it and let your have time to body adjust.I lost almost a stone in 3 weeks but put 3lbs back on when introducing some carbs back.I probs ate too many and realise although I LOVE bread it is my nemesis.Thanks again your words have encourged me to revisit induction then find friendly carbs.
Nanatravers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:36 AM   #432
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Globual
Stats: 180/138/120 5'4"
Start Date: October 20th, 2011
Hi! So I lost 3 pounds the first week of induction... which is fine... this is my second week and I am STARVING all the time... I feel like I might be eating too much and am scared to get on the scale Should I just wait till Sunday (my weekly weigh in day) or check now to see if I actually am eating too much... not sure which is counter productive...
Globual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:48 AM   #433
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: orioness66
Stats: 228.8/215.6/160
WOE: Atkins DANDR
Start Date: Rerererestarted 3/6/2011
That is OK, I am rounding out week 3 on induction. Week 1 I lost 8.8 pounds, and 2 got put back on in week 2, which I equated to TOM. Stayed heavy on the water intake, because I have been thirsty and that dreaded week is ending though. Dropped half a pound so I really did not have water retention.

No cheats, no slippage, no throwing myself out of ketosis. Also no loss, minimal inches (I think 2 total.) Craving baddie foods (ice cream and eclairs coming to mind) right now because I am seeing zip for results...well at least my feet look thinner.

This morning we went out to breakfast and I ordered a dish that had corn tortillas in it unbeknownst to me. Maybe that will jack up my system and start me losing again.

SW: 222.4
Mini Goal #1: 199
Goal: 170
orioness66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:14 AM   #434

My advice is stay at induction levels, avoid the franken foods, stick to meat, eggs and cheese, and drink a ton of water weigh once a week, and dont get freaked out, if you are doing all this it will catch up and you will see a loss
Old 03-26-2011, 06:11 AM   #435
Senior LCF Member

Location: North Central West Virginia- as close to PA as you can get without actually being there
Gallery: A_New_Day
Stats: 204/180/140
Start Date: February 2011
I had a "cheat" day and it took me about 3 weeks to recover - I was stalled at 190 and couldn't get past that weight. I went on vacation and ate more salads and drank more water, and lo and behold, I have lost past my plateau! Maybe my body did just need to adjust. I can't say enough about this way of eating, I love it, and I'm excited about it because it's sustainable for me - I'm not hungry, I know what to eat to keep losing, and I feel great. I am still drinking coffee on induction (with heavy cream) but that's my only source of caffeine - kicked the diet coke habit last year!

Thanks for all the great posts on this thread - I keep learning so much.
A_New_Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 07:09 AM   #436
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Krizen
Stats: 237/229/125
Start Date: March 7 2011
I'm new to this site and could really use some help. I have done atkins in the past with great results but this time around it's all different. i am just wrapping up week 3 on induction and for the first 2 weeks i lost 12 pounds YAY! and then this whole week i have had pounds creeping back...3 pounds in total. no TOM just finished that up during first week of induction. typical menu for me each day has been 3 slices of bacon and 3 eggs fried in butter, lunch 2 cups caesar salad (dressing made from scratch with atkins friendly ingredients-nothing off the induction list) and porkchop, snack mid afternoon would be can of tuna in olive oil, and then supper would be chicken breast and 1 cup of broccoli steamed with butter on it. im drinking tons of water all day long..exercise has been walking for 45 minutes every day. if there is anything anyone sees that i should change please let me know
thank you so much!
Krizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 11:58 AM   #437
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: daisylou
Stats: 282/242/150
WOE: RNY, low carb
Start Date: Dec 13, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krizen View Post
I'm new to this site and could really use some help. I have done atkins in the past with great results but this time around it's all different. i am just wrapping up week 3 on induction and for the first 2 weeks i lost 12 pounds YAY! and then this whole week i have had pounds creeping back...3 pounds in total. no TOM just finished that up during first week of induction. typical menu for me each day has been 3 slices of bacon and 3 eggs fried in butter, lunch 2 cups caesar salad (dressing made from scratch with atkins friendly ingredients-nothing off the induction list) and porkchop, snack mid afternoon would be can of tuna in olive oil, and then supper would be chicken breast and 1 cup of broccoli steamed with butter on it. im drinking tons of water all day long..exercise has been walking for 45 minutes every day. if there is anything anyone sees that i should change please let me know
thank you so much!
I'm still learning all the rules and guidelines of Atkins, but I did read somewhere in an Atkins book, maybe the new one, that if one is eating too much protein or fat or calories that that can cause no weight loss. Maybe add more vegetables with your meals but skip the butter. Are you traking your nutrient intake on a program like ************.com? it'll tell you exactly how much of what your eating. Maybe you are eating hidden carbs or not enough carbs?

hope this helps
daisylou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:44 AM   #438
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: buckaustink11
Stats: 202/197/135
WOE: atkins
Start Date: March 28th
First week a few slips and litle weight loss

This is the end of my first week. I slipped by eating nuts this week before I knew it was not allowd on the first phase...then I hyad a stressful day on wed at work and had some wine....l.have been right on tract since then but only lo9st 3 lbs...could the nuts and wine have caused that...

I am right on target for carbs and protein maybe a littl high on calores....any advice..I plan on doing the inducti9on for another two weeks no wine and no nuts
buckaustink11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:05 AM   #439
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Globual
Stats: 180/138/120 5'4"
Start Date: October 20th, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckaustink11 View Post
This is the end of my first week. I slipped by eating nuts this week before I knew it was not allowd on the first phase...then I hyad a stressful day on wed at work and had some wine....l.have been right on tract since then but only lo9st 3 lbs...could the nuts and wine have caused that...

I am right on target for carbs and protein maybe a littl high on calores....any advice..I plan on doing the inducti9on for another two weeks no wine and no nuts

Oooo... nuts really stall me... AND I can never stop at the recomended 9.. I would stay away from the nuts...
I wasn't losing at all and had been on induction for three weks... I finally started losing weight this week... and it's because I lowered my general food intake...
Wine also stalls me the second I touch a glass to my lips... if I want to drink I have vodka and seltzer... which doesn't seem to give me any problems... hope this helps and good luck!!!!
Globual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:06 PM   #440
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CindyF
Stats: 154/144/129
Start Date: May 30, 2012
Update??

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianahk View Post
Hello all,

I am really sad,,, on Saturday April 29th and Sunday 30th I did a cleanse and decided to start Atkins on Monday May 1st. Today is May 21st and after 20 days my scale is not moving not even a lb. my clothes are not loose and I am losing hope.

I had a complete physical and my doctor said I should loose some weight it would help me with the back pain I have been experiencing. I have been watching not just the carbs with ****** but also the calories and NOTHING, the scale is not moving. I tried a fat fast for two days and it worked, I am in ketosis, after that I have been eating 20 or under 20 gr of carbs a day, but I cnnot understand why I am not losing.

It was my understanding that if I was in ketosis I would be losing even a lb a week,, but nothing,,, this is really disencourging,,, specially when I see other people eating pasta and drinking wine,,, and me on steak and water,,,,can someone help me with this,,, I am ready to quit!!!

My normal weight was 105-110.... due to lots of stress and complication, now I am 140, I am 5 feet tall,,, this is really difficult,, I know lots of people here have over 100 lbs to loose,,, but for me this is as hard,,, nothing fits me, and I have to do something about it.

Please help. Why I am not losing if I am on deep ketosis?

Adriana
We are around the same size and weight. Did you determine what was happening?
CindyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:05 PM   #441

Krizen- You might have too much salt, bacon, pork chops, lots of butter? Maybe too much salt and you are sensitive and retaining fluid? I think you are eating OK, but you gotta drink water, 1/2 your body weight in ounces of water, and I mean water not diet soda, or other drinks, I swear by water I drink over a gallon a day it really flushes the fat!!!! Relax if you stick to the plan and do not cheat it catches up, trust me!!!!
Old 04-21-2011, 04:25 PM   #442
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LilacBruze
Stats: 272/231.2/175ish
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: 7/19/2014
Not Stalled... Just Sputtering...

Hi all,

Like Krizen, I have done Atkins in the past with great results. But I am nine years older and now have MS as well as Type II Diabetes, and things are not going so well for me...

I have been on Induction for over 6 weeks now. I have not cheated. I eat well (lots of chicken, veggies, etc) with no food cravings. I take my vitamins and diabetes meds, plus some supplements as well, drink plenty of water, sleep enough, etc.

Not only is my glucose not going down as drastically as I would have thought (beginning the diet, fasting glucose was around 200, now it is around 150) but I have *only* lost 25 lbs. I know I know, to say one has lost 25 lbs in a month and a half should be fabulous news, but it's not considering a) the first time around I lost more and lost it quicker and b) the whole glucose thing.

A side effect of my diabetes meds (Metformin and Onglyza) is water retention, so I also take Lasix 40mg 2x a day. Sometimes my ankles swell like inner tubes, so I imagine the rest of my insides are going glub, glub, glub with water retention as well. I stopped weighing myself every day because my weight literally could rise 5 lbs in the evening only to drop 6 or 7 by morning.

I'm not losing motivation or determination. This is not so much a diet for me as a total lifestyle change. If my glucose does not become more manageable soon, I will need to go on insulin. I don't want that, so I am committed.

I know something, somewhere, is sabotaging my loss. I just can't put my finger on it. I *do* have ONE cup of coffee in the morning with Splenda. I will crave a diet Dr. Pepper about 3-4 times a week (just a glass). I know caffeine and aspartame are no-no's but I don't see myself abusing either. I look for hidden carbs in everything. I eat enough protein. I am pretty diligent. And yet...

My doctor completely dismissed my concerns, saying my weight loss is great, blah blah blah. He says I could just be insulin resistant, where my body is producing it but not using it right. Isn't Atkins supposed to help with that? I just want to know the whys and the hows, it is driving me crazy!! If anyone has any insight, I would be most appreciative. I would like to lose 27 more pounds by July 6th (my next diabetes checkup) and I'm wondering if this is unrealistic, or if changing something in my habits could turn it all around for me.

By contrast, hubby is doing Atkins with me and he lost 16 lbs after 2 weeks of Induction.

Thanks for reading my ramble, I am new here.
LilacBruze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:41 AM   #443
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: juliebeth83
Chicken Alfredo

I wanted to share a recipe that I made yesterday. I cant really say that its my own I am sure I saw it somewhere. But I took some chicken breast and seasoned it with some garlic, and salt and chili powder. I am sure you could really do whatever seasoning you like. Then I grilled the chicken. Mean while I cooked up so broccoli and added alfredo sauce to that. I spooned over the veggies and alfredo sauce over the chicken and it was a great recipe. I didnt even miss the noodles that should go with it. Just wanted to share.
juliebeth83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 03:55 PM   #444
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: PlusSizeMommy
Stats: 179lbs
Start Date: 04/20/2011
I always lose weight very quickly on the Atkins. I lost 30 pounds in 2 mos but gained back 18 of those pounds in 4-5 mos. Not bad when you think about it.
PlusSizeMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 04:50 AM   #445
Major LCF Poster!

When you say "gained back", was that continuing on low carb or going back to eating like you did before?

The first time I did Atkins, I lost 40 lbs. It was great! But then I went off the diet, ate like I did before, and the weight came right back on. Big mistake on my part. Then with all my medical issues, I gained 35 lbs on TOP of the 40 I gained back. Ugh.

My diabetes has shown me that I need to make low carb a permanent way of life. Weight loss is a benefit of eating healthier for me, but that realization took a long time in coming.

I think my stall is over, since I wrote on 4/21, I have lost 3.2 lbs! Total so far is 28.2 lbs gone! Yippee!
Old 04-25-2011, 05:07 AM   #446
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: orioness66
Stats: 228.8/215.6/160
WOE: Atkins DANDR
Start Date: Rerererestarted 3/6/2011
Today marks an official stall. 4 weeks with no weight lost. I really don’t consider ¾ inch loss much of a loss at all in the past month.

I won’t lie and say I haven’t cheated. I had a couple of bad days and cheated for one meal. I did not have many food choices at all on a third day (Easter at a friend’s). DANDR said all out three day binges are to be avoided if you slip and I successfully did this as nothing really triggered with me. However, this also happened the first time I did Atkins and I lost 8 pounds on induction, 30 total before reverting and gaining it all back. This time around I added 16 more and peaked out at 228.8 thanks to BCPs; lost 13.8 on Induction in the first month, nothing this month as I have been bouncing between 215-218 ever since. Can’t blame TOM since I skipped this month for some reason, though I did get the requisite bloating.

Was reading about the fat fast but that really does not sound appealing at all. Maybe not drinking enough water? Clothes seem to fit a bit better for the negligible inches lost this month. However, I saw a picture and nearly cried…the fat is flabbier and just hangs there and makes me look even fatter despite the weight loss. My arms look awful!

Not gonna throw in the towel just yet, but stuff like this makes it difficult to maintain.
orioness66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 05:20 AM   #447
Major LCF Poster!

I realized that during my stall time, I was not drinking enough water. Being on Induction for a full 6 weeks, I have no cravings and honestly forget to eat and drink. I guess I have to force myself to drink more water.

Is there a smart phone app for that, lol?
Old 04-25-2011, 07:45 AM   #448
Major LCF Poster!

By golly, there IS a smart phone app for that! I was able to download an app that you can input how many glasses a day you are supposed to drink, and the beginning/end time of each day, and it will remind you to drink your water! Yay!
Old 04-27-2011, 07:19 AM   #449
Major LCF Poster!

Okay, I guess I am living proof that drinking plenty of water helps. After stalling for so long, I have lost 4.8 lbs since I first posted on 4/21. The phone app really helps remind me to drink the water that I need!
Old 05-01-2011, 04:47 AM   #450
Major LCF Poster!

Okay, I am back to report that I am stalling again! After that big whoosh, nada for 4 days, even with the water! But I think TOM is approaching. Grrr. So frustrating! But on a side note, I really am loving that app that reminds me to drink water. For anyone with Android, it's free and called... wait for it... DRINK WATER.