Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins '72
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2014, 06:26 PM   #1951
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Bonny-Jean
Stats: 5'4" 228 /147.8 / 138
WOE: Atkins '72 Extended Induction!
Start Date: Sept 16, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheri View Post
Hey Bonny!

Hey Bonny!

Try taking 1/4 teaspoon of Morton's lite salt in a glass of water.. it is loaded with potassium. A lot of people take it to get rid of leg cramps.. I can't tell you how many people this has helped!! Give it a try.. it isn't expensive at all either.. Here is the nutritional information on the lite salt..

Oh, you're so awesome!! You know I think back now, hmm, was it Paulette or Kimber.... darn, I can't remember... sorry girls. I know somebody mentioned exactly the same thing. You say "lite" does that mean low sodium?? Do you know how one would determine their daily needs or maximums? Sorry about all the questions. Silly enough 1/2 bag of pork rinds stopped my leg cramps for 3 nights but I certainly can't eat 30 gr of them every night. I could but that would be the end of my weight loss.
Thanks again Cheri ............. and Paulette or Kimber.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2014, 06:32 PM   #1952
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: OhAmy
Stats: 5'8" 293/204/145
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: March 25, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny-Jean View Post
Have you tried Silk brand Unsweetened Coconut Milk?? It's great and I cut my hwc way down and now mix Coconut (80%) with hwc (20%) and it's super healthy, less than 1 carb per ENTIRE cup and my coffee is still delish! You should try it. I get mine at Walmart.
Haven't found it yet. I don't really mind black coffee but I look forward to trying the coconut milk. Thanks Bonny-Jean!
Old 08-27-2014, 06:36 PM   #1953
Administrator

Gallery: cheri
Stats: 150 + pounds lost - 4' 11"
Quote:
Oh, you're so awesome!! You know I think back now, hmm, was it Paulette or Kimber.... darn, I can't remember... sorry girls. I know somebody mentioned exactly the same thing. You say "lite" does that mean low sodium?? Do you know how one would determine their daily needs or maximums? Sorry about all the questions. Silly enough 1/2 bag of pork rinds stopped my leg cramps for 3 nights but I certainly can't eat 30 gr of them every night. I could but that would be the end of my weight loss.
Thanks again Cheri ............. and Paulette or Kimber.
Here is a photo of the front of the Morton salt container... It is 1/2 the sodium as table salt.. I put 1/4 teaspoon in a glass of water and down it. You can also use it on your food but if you do that I wouldn't do the 1/4 teaspoon every day.. only if you have leg cramps.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:53 PM   #1954
Major LCF Poster!

Cheri, I've been suffering severe leg cramps darn near every night for several months now, sometimes 2-3 times a night!! So I will try this but I don't think I've ever seen Morton's in Canada. May have to try online?? Thanks for your help. Always appreciated.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:58 PM   #1955
Major LCF Poster!

Just found out our "Windsor" salt is actually a product of Morton's.
They have a half-salt with potassium. Thank you again so much. I have a feeling I might be able to find it at Walmart. Thanks Cheri. I'll cross my fingers that this will do the trick. Much appreciation.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:02 PM   #1956
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Neener207
Stats: 220/189/145
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: June 22 2014
Good evening everyone.

Kimber - you go girl on a roll!

Paullette - Good for you for sticking it out!

Skinny - you will get there, stay strong and ride it out!

Yankee - I do think its the exercise I've read over and over it stalls people. Can't hurt to try see what happens on the scale?

Lily - that is a great thing about 72 for sure. I notice even when I do get hungry I'm not shaky or feeling ill I'm just hungry.

Bonny Jean - wah lah there on the mortons salt, seems like that's exactly what you may need.

Amy - 9 pounds in a month is great! I'm trying to let go of desiring the big numbers. My weight is so weird. I'm down then up a pound or 2 for a few days then down to another new low. I've resigned myself that maybe its due to my age or metabolism but I'm just not going to lose 5 pounds a week.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:08 PM   #1957
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhAmy View Post
Haven't found it yet. I don't really mind black coffee but I look forward to trying the coconut milk. Thanks Bonny-Jean!
It's with all the milk products but near the end with the soy and all the other milk substitute type of things. Silk also has Almond and a new Almond/Coconut blend if you like drinking almonds but I love the Coconut cause I find it has the most "neutral" taste so it works for me. Read the label when you find it. You won't BELIEVE what a healthy alternative to carby milk that it is. Just amazing and so full of vitties and minerals, low in calories and super low in carbs. My "wonder" discovery a few months back. Guilt free enjoyment!!
Old 08-27-2014, 07:12 PM   #1958
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neener207 View Post

Amy - 9 pounds in a month is great! I'm trying to let go of desiring the big numbers. My weight is so weird. I'm down then up a pound or 2 for a few days then down to another new low. I've resigned myself that maybe its due to my age or metabolism but I'm just not going to lose 5 pounds a week.
Thank you, Neener! Good perspective. Glad to see you are climbing down the 190's--however slowly, it's the right direction.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:05 PM   #1959
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Lily - you are a very pretty lady! Look forward to your progress pics.

Skinny - I don't like having pictures of myself either. I sometimes wake up feeling great and just know the scale will be showing a loss and I'll be darned if it doesn't show a gain. I am often not hungry and feel like I could go a day or two without eating anything. I don't do it though because I'm afraid when the hunger strikes I'll go crazy and eat everything in sight!
Old 08-28-2014, 02:35 AM   #1960
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bmac13
Stats: 231.3/174.5/145
WOE: Atkins '72 Induction
Start Date: May 12, 2014
Wow! You ladies are chatty!

Bonny-Jean, I hope the salt/potassium works for you. I haven't had leg cramps in years, but I used to get them when I was younger all the time. So terrible! I feel for ya!

Yankee, coconut oil is pretty much MCT oil. It is a medium chain triglyceride. They might add a bit more if it says there is a mixture, but either way I say it's good.

Congrats on the losses today ladies. I've converted a few more believers through my Facebook mommy group. I have people messaging me for more info almost every day now. Since I won the weight loss challenge with 43# in a little over 3 months people are really interested. And I love giving information to people that really want to know.

Um back on the downward trend today. 186.6, woohoo. I'm 0.3 away from 45# and oh so close to a solid 50#.

I'm excited to shop again this weekend. I love that I can go into regular stores and find clothes now. Xl still, but its still a "regular size".

Have a great warrior day ladies!

Mini goals:

200lbs by August 12, 2014 Weigh in at weight loss challenge (Made it-July 18, 2014)
180lbs by October 4, 2014 Costa Rica Trip (Made it-Sept 12, 2014)
165lbs by November 25, 2014 My Birthday
145lbs by April 2, 2015
Old 08-28-2014, 03:26 AM   #1961
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: YankeeChic
Stats: 199/183.4/130
WOE: Atkins '72 Hard Core
Start Date: July, 2014
Good morning all!

Congrats bmac on your almost 45 lb loss! And big congrats for moving out of plus size! Must feel great!!

I'm going to pick up that oil today if I can find it.

No movement on the scale for me this morning.

Have a great day!!
Old 08-28-2014, 03:58 AM   #1962
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sherlocklabs
Stats: 320+/269/130
WOE: Atkins 72, LCHF ~ Clean Eating Only
Start Date: Restart: 6/29/14
Morning All!
Still hovering at same weight....scales are moving down by decimals...so I'll take it. Still hoping to shave 2 more pounds before the end of August.
I have to catch up on posts...and check back later
Have a great day warriors!!
Old 08-28-2014, 04:41 AM   #1963
Major LCF Poster!

Morning All

Well, silly as it sounds... no pork rinds last night, not even a crumb and to my horror was awakened by 4, count 'em..4nasty leg cramps! This is just bizarre!! Going to see if I can find some Windsor (Cdn) "half salt" today as Cheri suggested. Still trying to remember if it was Paulette who also suggested that?? I was just gonna try to ignore the cramps and not take in added sodium and try to get my scale moving again. Still sitting at 148 and I swear it's been like 2 wks now.
OMG, I can't stand this!!
I am a retainer but does anyone know if I'm doomed if I start adding sodium everyday??? Will my scale stick as long as I'm adding sodium??
Wow, talk about being stuck between a rock and hard place.

I hope you girls all have a better day!! Keep the faith you Warrior Women!
Old 08-28-2014, 05:32 AM   #1964
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Emerald
Stats: Nothing to see here folks....move along.
WOE: A 72 Induction (Hard Core!)
Quote:
Morning All

Well, silly as it sounds... no pork rinds last night, not even a crumb and to my horror was awakened by 4, count 'em..4nasty leg cramps! This is just bizarre!! Going to see if I can find some Windsor (Cdn) "half salt" today as Cheri suggested. Still trying to remember if it was Paulette who also suggested that?? I was just gonna try to ignore the cramps and not take in added sodium and try to get my scale moving again. Still sitting at 148 and I swear it's been like 2 wks now.
I am a retainer but does anyone know if I'm doomed if I start adding sodium everyday??? Will my scale stick as long as I'm adding sodium??

I would suggest you try Himalayan sea salts. This is from one site:

We have all experienced muscle cramps at one time or another during or after activities like running, playing a sport or simply walking. Health studies show that muscle cramps materialize when a muscle is overused and/or the body is lacking fluids and minerals like potassium, sodium, calcium, or magnesium. One of the ways of ensuring proper fluid and mineral levels is by taking a daily dose of Himalayan crystal salt. Himalayan crystal salt possesses more than eighty minerals and nutrients that charge our body with energy and power and help prevent muscle cramps.

Himalayan Salt Balances Electrolytes: an imbalance of electrolytes can be one of the causes of muscle cramps. Electrolytes are the material which help conduct electrical impulses responsible for muscle contractions and nerve impulses to other cells. Without electrolytes, your body's cells couldn't communicate efficiently. Himalayan salt helps balance the electrolytes in our body by providing us with potassium and sodium.

Himalayan Salt Helps with Mineral Deficiency: aside from balancing the electrolytes in your body, the Himalayan salt provides you with two important minerals that are also essential for the prevention of muscle cramps -- calcium and magnesium. Sufficient amounts of these and other minerals in your diet can help you avoid muscle cramps.

It's inexpensive and is way better than table salt. I will never use plain table salt again. Google will bring up thousands of articles on the benefits of HSS.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:38 AM   #1965
Big Yapper!!!!

I love how active this thread is. Good inspiration to keep going. I think starting September 1st I'm going to start exercising. (yuck!)

I purchased a hybrid elliptical trainer and a recumbent bike in one many months ago and have barely used it. I need to get my butt in gear.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:54 AM   #1966
Big Yapper!!!!

Bonny-Jean this thread may be of interest to you?

Cramps -- Who knew?
Old 08-28-2014, 06:19 AM   #1967
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald View Post
I would suggest you try Himalayan sea salts. This is from one site:

We have all experienced muscle cramps at one time or another during or after activities like running, playing a sport or simply walking. Health studies show that muscle cramps materialize when a muscle is overused and/or the body is lacking fluids and minerals like potassium, sodium, calcium, or magnesium. One of the ways of ensuring proper fluid and mineral levels is by taking a daily dose of Himalayan crystal salt. Himalayan crystal salt possesses more than eighty minerals and nutrients that charge our body with energy and power and help prevent muscle cramps.

Himalayan Salt Balances Electrolytes: an imbalance of electrolytes can be one of the causes of muscle cramps. Electrolytes are the material which help conduct electrical impulses responsible for muscle contractions and nerve impulses to other cells. Without electrolytes, your body's cells couldn't communicate efficiently. Himalayan salt helps balance the electrolytes in our body by providing us with potassium and sodium.

Himalayan Salt Helps with Mineral Deficiency: aside from balancing the electrolytes in your body, the Himalayan salt provides you with two important minerals that are also essential for the prevention of muscle cramps -- calcium and magnesium. Sufficient amounts of these and other minerals in your diet can help you avoid muscle cramps.

It's inexpensive and is way better than table salt. I will never use plain table salt again. Google will bring up thousands of articles on the benefits of HSS.
and thank you. I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons, price and availability between Himalayan and Celtic salts. Tks again!
Old 08-28-2014, 07:48 AM   #1968
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PauletticusJ
Stats: 331.8/263.4/175
Start Date: 3/2/2014
Bonny-Jean, you poor thing!!!! Yes, I mentioned the Morton Lite Salt, but I just use it as a seasoning and because I need to keep up the sodium/potassium balance. I never had leg cramps, so I know nothing of how to treat them.

The calcium and magnesium mentioned above sounds interesting. You drink Silk Coconut milk daily and I know it has lots of calcium, but maybe not enough??? It is just terrible that you have to go through these horrible leg cramps!!!!

I believe you need 3000mg of potassium a day (RDA), 400mg a day for magnesium, 1500mg min. for sodium, and 1000mg for calcium. Most multi vit/min tablets only provide small %'s of these. My multi only provides 1% for potassium, 25% for magnesium, no sodium, and 52% for calcium. So I need to supplement these important minerals. Especially sodium and potassium. (I am on a prescription strength potassium because I would have to take 10 over-the counter pills to equal what I get from 1 of my prescription strength pills! ) Potassium is one of those minerals that can be very harmful if too much is taken, so it is controlled carefully if you have a deficiency, like I did. Sodium is easy to get - just add salt! Most of the general population gets way too much of it. Calcium and magnesium may be easily supplemented by over the counter pills, but calcium pills are so big and hard to swallow! I would rather drink Silk Coconut Milk!

Last edited by PauletticusJ; 08-28-2014 at 07:51 AM..
Old 08-28-2014, 08:25 AM   #1969
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
It's with all the milk products but near the end with the soy and all the other milk substitute type of things. Silk also has Almond and a new Almond/Coconut blend if you like drinking almonds but I love the Coconut cause I find it has the most "neutral" taste so it works for me. Read the label when you find it. You won't BELIEVE what a healthy alternative to carby milk that it is. Just amazing and so full of vitties and minerals, low in calories and super low in carbs. My "wonder" discovery a few months back. Guilt free enjoyment!!
Very interested! I found the spot where it should be. One of the stores had Diamond brand almond/coconut milk without added sugar, one carb per cup. I bought that and it was okay. I'll keep looking as I think I would like plain coconut milk much better too. I love coconut oil and eat a spoonful of it a couple times a day.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:41 AM   #1970
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Neener207
Stats: 220/189/145
Start Date: June 22 2014
Morning!

Scale not moving..hate it..sticking to plan...getting over it.

I may have missed this but why does everyone use coconut oil?
Old 08-28-2014, 08:42 AM   #1971
Major LCF Poster!

Good luck. Hope you find some soon. I have tried the Diamond stuff. I think Silk is a little lower in price too maybe??
Old 08-28-2014, 08:46 AM   #1972
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DlaneyLynn
Stats: 230/211/200
WOE: Keto/LCHF
Start Date: 4/1/14
Quote:
Oh, I'm sorry for coming across that way... just the way I am, I guess. My bad! Does this happen thru their whole lives??? Poor Moo's, what a way to live, albeit short. Yeah, I guess it's just about the money. Too bad. Honestly, I've never seen that in my life and even the stuff on tv, I thought that was just done prior to auctions or ... well, you know.
Don't be sorry! I hope you know it wasn't a reprimand. It's so hard to translate tone of voice and intention into text.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:53 AM   #1973
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DlaneyLynn
Stats: 230/211/200
WOE: Keto/LCHF
Start Date: 4/1/14
Quote:
Morning All

I empathize! I hate leg cramps. It's tricky because the issue is with our electrolytes in general. If calcium, magnesium and potassium aren't in the correct balances, it causes the cramps and it's hard to know which is out of whack. For mine, drinking salt water or quinine helped relieve them, but didn't help prevent them. What helped me was rubbing magnesium oil on my legs before bed at night. It also helps me to have a heavy blanket or something laying on my legs and feet at night, but I have no idea how or why that helps.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:01 AM   #1974
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bmac13
Stats: 231.3/174.5/145
WOE: Atkins '72 Induction
Start Date: May 12, 2014
Quote:
Morning!

Medium Chain Triglyceride are supposed to be at the top of the list for fats as they have the best health benefits and coconut oil is a MCT. It's nice to cook certain things in it, but I still stick to butter for a lot of stuff, like eggs. I find that if I fry and egg in coconut oil it has a funny taste.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:03 AM   #1975
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DlaneyLynn View Post
Don't be sorry! I hope you know it wasn't a reprimand. It's so hard to translate tone of voice and intention into text.
No worries. I don't have much finesse with the "written word" and I also know how text can be misunderstood but it's all good. You can be assured that anything I post is only meant with love and perhaps curiosity and I try not to misunderstand others as well.
Thank goodness for Smilies!!
Old 08-28-2014, 09:07 AM   #1976
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Morning!

Oh my, where does one start with the wonders of Coconut Oil?? Great for frying, keeping your fats up and um, your hair, your skin, your dog's hair and skin etc, etc!
Old 08-28-2014, 09:10 AM   #1977
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
So sorry you are suffering with this, Bonny-Jean. How frustrating!

Fluids and electrolytes are tricky and so closely related in the body; in my understanding, balancing the electrolytes is the only way to achieve fluid balance as well. Just make sure Dr. Cute knows about your fluid retention and leg pain as there are other reasons for those too besides electrolyte imbalance.

Thank you for all the info, Cheri, Emerald, and Pauletticus. I had morton lite salt in my cabinet and have started using it.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:19 AM   #1978
Senior LCF Member

Does anybody have a good resource for finding TRUE carb counts--like if something says carbohydrates are zero for a tsp on the package but has sugar in the ingredient list. I'd like to be able to find out how many true carbs are in like a cup of that item. My online tracker doesn't do it. It just calculates a million times zero and gives me zero.

Thanks!
Old 08-28-2014, 09:27 AM   #1979
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PauletticusJ
Stats: 331.8/263.4/175
Start Date: 3/2/2014
OhAmy, I use a site called NutritionData which gives values for a variety of servings/sizes. I find it to be the most reliable.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:29 AM   #1980
Major LCF Poster!

I just usually type in the food or otherwise with nutritional facts and when it comes up I change the serving sizes and you might be shocked as 1 tsp says 0 but 3 tsps. say 2.7 carbs!!
Closed Thread