Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins '72
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2014, 03:15 PM   #1861
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PauletticusJ
Stats: 331.8/263.4/175
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 3/2/2014
I add a whole stalk of celery (leaves included) while cooking the chicken for my broth. Discard the celery when the chicken is done. And strain the broth to remove any other seasonings you added to the pot. The secret is to add only a few cups of water. You can only make so much really good tasting broth from one chicken - if it is too watered down, it is very blah. Taste the liquid while it is cooking to make sure you have enough salt.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2014, 03:19 PM   #1862
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Poohsmommi
Stats: 221/217/145
WOE: 1972 Atkins
Start Date: 09/01/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by PauletticusJ View Post
I add a whole stalk of celery (leaves included) while cooking the chicken for my broth. Discard the celery when the chicken is done. And strain the broth to remove any other seasonings you added to the pot. The secret is to add only a few cups of water. You can only make so much really good tasting broth from one chicken - if it is too watered down, it is very blah. Taste the liquid while it is cooking to make sure you have enough salt.
Can you post a recipie for dummies <me>? Can I do it in a crock pot?
Old 08-26-2014, 03:30 PM   #1863
Senior LCF Member

Here is a recipe I posted in the Hard Core Recipe thread. I tweak it when I make it, for instance, I do not add onion, and I do not add so much water. And you can certainly try it in a crock pot, although I never have:

HOME MADE CHICKEN BROTH

Ingredients
2-1/2 pounds chicken pieces with skin
2 celery ribs with leaves, cut into chunks
1/2 onion
1 clove garlic, halved
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
8 to 10 whole peppercorns
2 quarts cold water

Directions
1. Place all ingredients in a soup kettle or Dutch oven. Slowly bring to a boil; reduce heat. Skim foam. Cover and simmer for 2 hours.
2. Set chicken aside until cool enough to handle. Remove meat from bones. Discard bones; save meat for another use. Strain broth, discarding vegetables and seasonings. Refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight. Skim fat from surface. Yield: about 6 cups.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:34 PM   #1864
Senior LCF Member

Thank you!!!!!
Old 08-26-2014, 03:46 PM   #1865
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lilyflowertulip
Stats: 265/230.2/160
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: Jan 2014 (restart)

I'm laughing about my butter conundrum and everyone's response to it. I'm about ashamed of what appears to be my butter addiction. I swear I had no idea how much butter I ate until I started tracking it! I found myself reaching for it today and I had to smack my hand back several times!! lol. Oh, and I didn't lose, so I'm not sure a stick a day is sustainable, ha ha. I don't know if it was the pork rinds, butter, or the chicken livers or just because I'm about to start my TOM, but I went up .2 on the scale. It isn't much of course, but I'm going to start eliminating or cutting back on the culprits to see if that might help.

Food today was:

BPC (two tbl butter, two tbl cream) omelet made with 2 eggs 1/4 cup chicken, 1 ounce cheese, 1/2 tbl butter

Snack: 2-3 tablespoons pate (I know livers are carby, but I've got to eat what I have so I'm just eating a little as a snack until it's done and then I won't make anymore)

Lunch: omelet made with 2 eggs, 1/4 cup chicken, 1 ounce cheese, 1/2 tbl butter

Dinner: 6 ounce hamburger patty

I think this is much closer to 72 induction compliant, and I'm hoping for a drop tmr! I'm trying not to get my hopes up too high, but I'm really ready to see my scale move again!! It's starting to get sort of disheartening because the summer hasn't been very kind to me and I I've only lost about 3-4 pounds since May. I think this is going to help- if nothing else, when you're eating not much more than protein and cheese counting carbs is much easier!
Old 08-26-2014, 03:50 PM   #1866
Senior LCF Member

I cook so many things in grass fed butter ... love it!

I had a question about red meat. Do you have to eat grass fed, organic? I know conventionally raised cows are fed grain. Can that be a hindrance to weight loss? I was buying the grass fed beef, but it tastes so gamey to me. I really don't care for it.

Last edited by Poohsmommi; 08-26-2014 at 03:53 PM..
Old 08-26-2014, 03:57 PM   #1867
Senior LCF Member

Kimber, 245.3, holy crow, girl, you are killing it. I seriously want to move in with you and let you cook for me and tell me exactly what to eat!

Out of curiosity, since this is another thing I'm going to seriously cut back on or eliminate if I don't seem to lose like I want to, do you use heavy whipping cream? I've cut back to two tablespoons a day, but I could cut back a little more and still enjoy my coffee. I'd be sad though... but dang, I want to lose like you are!!!
Old 08-26-2014, 03:58 PM   #1868
Senior LCF Member

I just buy the regular beef from the grocery store. In my small town, I have no idea where to buy the fancy organic stuff. And I have no idea if it makes a difference in weight loss. I think it is a healthy food concern more than a weight loss thing.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:00 PM   #1869
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/126.0/150
Start Date: 2/22/13
I eat steak just about every night, and it's just plain old steak from the grocery store. I would love to be able to buy organic grass fed beef, but since we eat it almost every night, it's way too expensive.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:14 PM   #1870
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Bonny-Jean
Stats: 5'4" 228 /147.8 / 138
WOE: Atkins '72 Extended Induction!
Start Date: Sept 16, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyflowertulip View Post

I'm laughing about my butter conundrum and everyone's response to it. I'm about ashamed of what appears to be my butter addiction. I swear I had no idea how much butter I ate until I started tracking it! !
You're funny! Yes, you do love your butter my girl, no doubt but it ain't the worst thing. I think your tiny blip is probably more from the sodium in the butter and pork rinds. I've been eating an ounce each night and my scale stopped moving so that's probably all it is. Your menu looks fine and once you're done with the pate, you'll be fine.
"Many organ meats are super-nutritious but in Induction you may need to pay attention to portion size, as some organ meats contain high amounts of carbohydrates (Atkins recommends limiting them to 4 oz. per day)."
Old 08-26-2014, 04:27 PM   #1871
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohsmommi View Post
I cook so many things in grass fed butter ... love it!

I had a question about red meat. Do you have to eat grass fed, organic? I know conventionally raised cows are fed grain. Can that be a hindrance to weight loss? I was buying the grass fed beef, but it tastes so gamey to me. I really don't care for it.
Most, if not all cattle are "grass fed." It's much cheaper to pasture an animal till market than to be preparing grains for them besides too much is not cost effective for the farmer/rancher. It's also not healthy for the animal?? A little grain, yes but not the bulk of the diet. Sorry, but I don't buy into all this overpriced "organic." I do believe in fruits and veggies without certain chemicals but never heard of non-grass fed livestock?? I found my home raised pigs and cows tasted different but I think that was because I was so used to the store bought meat rather than the "clean" meat at home. Eating meat once or twice a day can be pricey so I just buy regular meat and watch for sales.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:31 PM   #1872
Senior LCF Member

Oh Bonny Jean, I meant to tell you, I know it's discouraging to not have the scale move, but having low sodium levels is very dangerous. About four months into Atkins I started having leg cramps, I got dizzy, confused, weak, disoriented and there would be times I would urinate so much that I would get dehydrated, no matter how much water I drank. Scary as that was, it didn't scare me nearly as much as the episodes where my heart would beat wildly- just race in my chest. I'm young and pretty healthy, but I swear there were times when I thought I was having heart problems and should go to the ER! So when it got bad enough I went to the doctor, expecting him to tell me it was low potassium, but the real problem was low sodium! Ever since then I have been very careful to get extra sodium and believe me I can tell when I don't. But I haven't had these terrible symptoms or leg cramps since I started adding extra salt. I don't want ANYONE to go through what I went through- so if you have symptoms similar to mine the extra salt in the pork rinds might be what you need. Or extra salt in any form, for that matter, if you don't want to eat pork rinds every day. I hope that helps! I hate that you're having leg cramps in the middle of the night, they're miserable!
Old 08-26-2014, 04:42 PM   #1873
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Oh Bonny Jean, I meant to tell you, I know it's discouraging to not have the scale move, but having low sodium levels is very dangerous. About four months into Atkins I started having leg cramps, I got dizzy, confused, weak, disoriented and there would be times I would urinate so much that I would get dehydrated, no matter how much water I drank. Scary as that was, it didn't scare me nearly as much as the episodes where my heart would beat wildly- just race in my chest. I'm young and pretty healthy, but I swear there were times when I thought I was having heart problems and should go to the ER! So when it got bad enough I went to the doctor, expecting him to tell me it was low potassium, but the real problem was low sodium! Ever since then I have been very careful to get extra sodium and believe me I can tell when I don't. But I haven't had these terrible symptoms or leg cramps since I started adding extra salt. I don't want ANYONE to go through what I went through- so if you have symptoms similar to mine the extra salt in the pork rinds might be what you need. Or extra salt in any form, for that matter, if you don't want to eat pork rinds every day. I hope that helps! I hate that you're having leg cramps in the middle of the night, they're miserable!
Well thanks Lily and you know I read about the heart and low sodium and thankfully the only thing I've suffered from was these leg cramps. So sorry you went thru that but AGAIN why wouldn't that show up on my blood tests. In 11 months, I've gone thru the "full monty" and my numbers always come back to my dr.'s amazement so hence my confusion.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:53 PM   #1874
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/126.0/150
Start Date: 2/22/13
Do they test your salt level when they do normal bloodwork? I don't even know what that's called. I have no idea, that's why I was asking, I just wasn't sure if that's part of a normal blood work up?
Old 08-26-2014, 04:53 PM   #1875
Senior LCF Member

Oh, okay, so you've had blood tests recently. That is odd, then! The only thing I can think of is it's my understanding that salt shows up pretty quickly in the blood, so you could have had low sodium earlier that day but if you'd eaten recently it may have elevated it to normal levels? It does sound like your sodium depletion level may not be as severe as mine was, so that's good, but leg cramps are still a problem! (as anyone's whose flown out of bed howling in the middle of the night knows!) I know I never intentionally cut salt, but I don't eat much processed food and don't like things really salty, and I was drinking too much water I think. Now I just drink when I'm thirsty and that seems to help, though it may have slowed down my weight loss.

Well, I hope you figure it out. Maybe you just need a sodium boost in the evening before sleep if you're okay the rest of the day?
Old 08-26-2014, 04:55 PM   #1876
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtherGoos View Post
Do they test your salt level when they do normal bloodwork? I don't even know what that's called. I have no idea, that's why I was asking, I just wasn't sure if that's part of a normal blood work up?

That's a good question! I know my doctor took my blood specifically to test my electrolytes. I don't know if it would be the same for general blood work.
Old 08-26-2014, 05:38 PM   #1877
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Emerald
Stats: Nothing to see here folks....move along.
WOE: A 72 Induction (Hard Core!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohsmommi View Post
I found one online like this. $34 for 2 servings! Yikes!! I'll make my own ;-)
I always make my own and the cost ranges to about two to three dollars per batch. That is crazy expensive!
Old 08-26-2014, 05:48 PM   #1878
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
That's a good question! I know my doctor took my blood specifically to test my electrolytes. I don't know if it would be the same for general blood work.
Being a diabetic, I have a full blood panel done every 3 months - sodium, potassium and chloride are included. You may have to specifically ask if your electrolytes are included in your blood tests.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:04 PM   #1879
Major LCF Poster!

MamaG, Paulette and Lily ... okay, good question. Hmm, I did tell him I was on Atkins and what I was eating and not eating. I did specifically ask him to check ALL my levels and Dr. Delicious is pretty thorough but maybe I'll use this as an excuse to go see him again. He knows about the leg cramps and agreed I should try mag & pot but that didn't seem to work so oh, poor me has to make another trip to see my darling doctor.
For those that don't know my 35 yr old doctor is a cross between Zac Efron and George Clooney. Ha-ha.. nanner nanner!!
Old 08-26-2014, 06:36 PM   #1880
Senior LCF Member

lucky dog! mine's very nice and didn't try to talk me out of Atkins, but he's old enough to be my father. Still... he didn't try to talk me out of Atkins (I was so worried about that! I knew I'd stay strong, but his opinion is important to me) so he's my Hero!

Got hungry again after dinner so ate 3 more oz of hamburger and 4 pieces of bacon. I think maybe I'm cooking the amount of protein I ate when I was eating vegetables, and since I'll have less to fill my stomach I need to cook more. That's Atkins' main draw: no hunger! Yay! (and bacon)
Old 08-26-2014, 06:59 PM   #1881
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kimbersh47
Stats: 5'5" 330/231/149
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: January 2, 2014
Lily - I don't have HWC very often anymore because it slowed my weight loss down. Yes, it was sad that I had to give it up, and I resisted doing so for 2 months! When I finally got serious about this, I dropped it. Basically I eat the same things everyday. 2 eggs, 3 Tbs mayo for b-fast, 4 oz burger for lunch, 8 oz Ribeye steak for dinner with 1 Tbs butter. On the RARE occasion (like maybe twice a month) that I am hungry between meals, I will have 1 oz extra sharp cheddar cheese or 10 green olives. When a holiday comes along, I allow myself a small salad with my dinner and I have some coffee jello with some redi whip.

Honestly, it wasn't until I went to eating this way that I truly lost my appetite for carbs. I can walk through a bakery and not blink an eye. I have not even begun to feel tempted even when I'm around people that eat it. I'm just not interested. I like what I eat, how it makes me feel satisfied, and love the feeling of being in control of what I eat. I have a rule at work...if I didn't bring it.....I don't eat it! That puts those saboteurs in their places!!

You have to find what works for you. Decide what you can eat that makes you happy. You can do this!!

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:00 PM   #1882
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimbersh47 View Post
Lily - I don't have HWC very often anymore because it slowed my weight loss down. Yes, it was sad that I had to give it up, and I resisted doing so for 2 months! When I finally got serious about this, I dropped it. Basically I eat the same things everyday. 2 eggs, 3 Tbs mayo for b-fast, 4 oz burger for lunch, 8 oz Ribeye steak for dinner with 1 Tbs butter. On the RARE occasion (like maybe twice a month) that I am hungry between meals, I will have 1 oz extra sharp cheddar cheese or 10 green olives. When a holiday comes along, I allow myself a small salad with my dinner and I have some coffee jello with some redi whip.

Honestly, it wasn't until I went to eating this way that I truly lost my appetite for carbs. I can walk through a bakery and not blink an eye. I have not even begun to feel tempted even when I'm around people that eat it. I'm just not interested. I like what I eat, how it makes me feel satisfied, and love the feeling of being in control of what I eat. I have a rule at work...if I didn't bring it.....I don't eat it! That puts those saboteurs in their places!!

You have to find what works for you. Decide what you can eat that makes you happy. You can do this!!
Old 08-26-2014, 07:03 PM   #1883
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Happy SAHM
Stats: 5'5" 224/177/140 ish
WOE: Atkins 72'
Start Date: May 12, 2014
Evening Everyone!

Welcome back, MG. Congrats on reaching the 120's! Great vacation photos, thanks for sharing.

Regarding the Soy Sauce in my Korean Beef - I just checked again and it's Kikkoman Soy Sauce (Original) and it is 0 carbs. I don't use it often, but I did recall reading that it had 0 carbs. For me, it was a source of sodium, since I really don't eat a lot of salt (except for salting my meat before grilling).

I'm checking in super late tonight and haven't had a chance to read Everyone's posts yet. Just wanted to say hello quick, but will have to catch up tomorrow.

184 today for me despite having TOM! Had a great day today with several NSV! WOO-HOO! Will fill you all in tomorrow, but for now, headed out to the pool for a nighttime swim and campfire with the family. I'm really savoring these last few weeks of SUMMER!

Sleep well Everyone...wishing you all a peaceful, leg-cramp free night!

Colleen

Keep up the great work!
Old 08-26-2014, 07:56 PM   #1884
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny-Jean View Post
MamaG, Paulette and Lily ... okay, good question. Hmm, I did tell him I was on Atkins and what I was eating and not eating. I did specifically ask him to check ALL my levels and Dr. Delicious is pretty thorough but maybe I'll use this as an excuse to go see him again. He knows about the leg cramps and agreed I should try mag & pot but that didn't seem to work so oh, poor me has to make another trip to see my darling doctor.
For those that don't know my 35 yr old doctor is a cross between Zac Efron and George Clooney. Ha-ha.. nanner nanner!!
Bonny - I want your doctor!! When I get leg cramps at night I drink sugar-free tonic water, 8 oz. glass, for 2-3 nights in a row and they stop. I haven't had any in a long time now but have the tonic water on hand for when they hit.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:01 PM   #1885
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Welcome back MG - you were missed. My Lord, you're into the 120's and 10 lbs. gone while on vacation, you are awesome woman!!

Kim - Congratulations on seeing the 245 today. You set you mind to something and you achieve it, very inspiring!

Hope we all have a new lower number on our scales tomorrow.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:01 PM   #1886
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Neener207
Stats: 220/189/145
Start Date: June 22 2014
Hi everyone! Another busy few days, I've been reading to keep up with you all.

Down to 197, lost whatever that blip was..hoping the downward trend continues.

Bonny - Have you tried tonic water with quinine? My gram had leg cramps and quinine helped...not sure the carb count but I know they have diet tonic water.

MG - In the 120s SWEET!! I can't even imagine that number!!

Colleen and Yankee great pics!

Hello everyone else! Chat with ya tomorrow!
Old 08-26-2014, 09:00 PM   #1887
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Emerald
Stats: Nothing to see here folks....move along.
WOE: A 72 Induction (Hard Core!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy SAHM View Post
Evening Everyone!

Welcome back, MG. Congrats on reaching the 120's! Great vacation photos, thanks for sharing.

Regarding the Soy Sauce in my Korean Beef - I just checked again and it's Kikkoman Soy Sauce (Original) and it is 0 carbs. I don't use it often, but I did recall reading that it had 0 carbs. For me, it was a source of sodium, since I really don't eat a lot of salt (except for salting my meat before grilling).

I'm checking in super late tonight and haven't had a chance to read Everyone's posts yet. Just wanted to say hello quick, but will have to catch up tomorrow.

184 today for me despite having TOM! Had a great day today with several NSV! WOO-HOO! Will fill you all in tomorrow, but for now, headed out to the pool for a nighttime swim and campfire with the family. I'm really savoring these last few weeks of SUMMER!

Sleep well Everyone...wishing you all a peaceful, leg-cramp free night!

Colleen

Keep up the great work!
The second ingredient is wheat. Definitely not zero carbs.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:34 PM   #1888
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: YankeeChic
Stats: 199/183.4/130
WOE: Atkins '72 Hard Core
Start Date: July, 2014
bmac, thanks I think I'm going to pick up some pork rinds during my next shopping trip. I'm thinking of making a coating for chicken. Or making one of Paulette's sauces, but regardless, I'll pick them up.

Bonny where is this Doctor located? Dr. Delicious you say? If he was my Doctor I'd be ill regularly.

Colleen, can't wait to hear about your day today!!

Neener, glad the scale is moving downwards again! And thanks for the compliment! I'm a bit shiny but that's to be expected in Florida!

My 2 year old started her first day of preschool today. She's very attached to me and I know from past experience with my son, when dropping them off with their teacher, kiss them and leave and not to linger because it makes it harder on both of us. Well I did that. I kissed her on the head, told her I loved her and ran out as quick as I could with tears in my eyes. I was sick to my stomach all morning. When I picked her up at noon, her teacher said she did great, didn't cry once. Then she looks up at me and says, "I like school Mommy"...thank you God!

Have a great night all!
Old 08-26-2014, 09:42 PM   #1889
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtherGoos View Post
Yankee, love the picture! I would imagine that your dentist sees lots of people and maybe just didn't notice, but I'm sure you can definitely see a difference! Plus, people are often just uncomfortable mentioning that they notice you've lost weight, as though they are saying you were fat in the first place. You know what I mean. They're afraid we'll take it the wrong way. But don't worry, in time they'll start saying something.
Thanks MtherGoos! I love your pics too, you look so amazing!!
You're probably right about my Ortho. I guess it is awkward for some people to comment. It's a touchy subject.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:46 PM   #1890
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny-Jean View Post
Nice to see your picture cutey pie!!
Why thank you, right back at ya!! I'll put up a different one soon. That one was a quickie...
Closed Thread